Out of Character

Government
Executive Offices
Delegate: Yuno
Magisterium
Provost: Drachen
Conclave
Viceroy: Aelitia

Welcome to The East Pacific. We hope you enjoy your visit.

How to register an account
You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you may register an account here!

I'm registered. How can I post?
When you sign up on our forums, your account is classified under the "visa" group. Individuals who are in this group will only be able to post in certain areas of the forum. To gain the ability to post on all public sections of these forums, read this post and follow the directions to make a post in that forum. An administrator will review your account and if there are no problems you'll be able to post in no time!

Username:   Password:
Multiquote ON Multiquote off
Add Reply
Rand's Science Thread
Topic Started: Jan 2 2018, 06:19:17 PM (265 Views)
Rand Al'Thor
Member Avatar
Face Plant!
This is the place for all things science! From Astronomy to Chemistry, from Botony to Geology, its here! If you like Neil DeGrasse Tyson or Bill Nye, say it loud and proud!
Dragon Reborn
High King of Illian
Car'a'carn of the Aiel
Soldier of EPSA since January 1st, 2018

The EPSA Badges

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Drachen
Member Avatar
Yare yare dawa...
The Earth is not flat.
Badges

Actual Dragon
Posted Image

Loli Protector
Posted Image

Marine Biologist
Posted Image

Queen of the Fairies
Posted Image

Yuri Enthusiast
Posted Image
Shan'alah bandu ni Verdrassil

Posted Image

"Fal andu'balah nei il'amare."
"Through love, the nation is preserved."
- Lady Al'Ameth
Posted Image
Roles

Vizier
Posted Image

Minister of Culture
Posted Image

Minister of World Assembly Affairs
Posted Image

Provost of the Magisterium
Posted Image

Pollster
Posted Image

Rand Al'Thor
Member Avatar
Face Plant!
Drachen
Jan 2 2018, 06:21:17 PM
The Earth is not flat.
You are correct! Except for the few people who still think it is XD
Dragon Reborn
High King of Illian
Car'a'carn of the Aiel

The EPSA Badges

Posted Image

Atlae
Member Avatar
Whaddya mean, there's no caek delivery down here?
Nucleic acids have phosphorus.
"Gloria in Terra"

"The pronunciation of "Atlae" is /ćtleɪ/. Don't you forget it." AND NOT ALTAE

Maintainer of the "game streak," or posting on the whole first page of the game room.

It's dark and lonely down here in TEP's server.
All these banners
TEP Positions
Other Positions

Rand Al'Thor
Member Avatar
Face Plant!
The Atlae Isles
Jan 2 2018, 07:05:43 PM
Really? Huh, didn't know that. Atoms have Electrons, Protons, and Neutrons. There's even a type of star called a "Neutron Star", and its the densist kind of star in the Universe. Kind of the opposite of a Black Hole.
Dragon Reborn
High King of Illian
Car'a'carn of the Aiel

The EPSA Badges

Posted Image

Masuicca
Member Avatar
Kilroy was here
If the Many-Worlds Interpretation of quantum mechanics is indeed correct, then there is the potential for a nigh-endless Multiverse where any possible combination of factors could exist. Not only does this mean that there could be a universe where you are rich off the lotto, but also that there are conceivably universes where some of your favorite movies and TV shows are not merely shows, but reality.

Think about that next time you watch Doctor Who or Star Trek.
A SOVEREIGN CITIZEN, MAGISTER AND PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE EAST PACIFIC

Posted Image

Official Roles

Roleplay Information

Important Links

Rand Al'Thor
Member Avatar
Face Plant!
Or next time you read a book :p
Dragon Reborn
High King of Illian
Car'a'carn of the Aiel

The EPSA Badges

Posted Image

Drachen
Member Avatar
Yare yare dawa...
The mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell.
Badges

Actual Dragon
Posted Image

Loli Protector
Posted Image

Marine Biologist
Posted Image

Queen of the Fairies
Posted Image

Yuri Enthusiast
Posted Image

Posted Image

- Lady Al'Ameth
Posted Image
Roles

Vizier
Posted Image

Minister of Culture
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Pollster
Posted Image

Rand Al'Thor
Member Avatar
Face Plant!
In the year 2024 there will be another Total Solar Eclipse in the United States. This one will travel from Northwestern Mexico to New England, and the Umbra will pass right over where I live!
Dragon Reborn
High King of Illian
Car'a'carn of the Aiel

The EPSA Badges

Posted Image

AsmodeanUnderscore
Member Avatar
Face Plant!
I didn't know the Two Rivers was in America.
Edited by AsmodeanUnderscore, Jan 7 2018, 07:58:05 PM.
Shas tsar suqota rei / njárat e sat
Shas renua fo’reidzhur / shas sarokreir
Kol sa renua njur / a’shas nie shas tax
Shas dzhu’sar’lur e drur / zori shas tsar Kyrlotie rei.

Todd McCloud
Member Avatar
Planet Telox
Masuicca
Jan 2 2018, 08:51:36 PM
If the Many-Worlds Interpretation of quantum mechanics is indeed correct, then there is the potential for a nigh-endless Multiverse where any possible combination of factors could exist. Not only does this mean that there could be a universe where you are rich off the lotto, but also that there are conceivably universes where some of your favorite movies and TV shows are not merely shows, but reality.

Think about that next time you watch Doctor Who or Star Trek.
In short, there *could be* a *slight chance* that the RP universe we create is not fiction, but a documentary.

However, infinity doesn't mean certainty. There could be infinite nothings, but in totality, nothing.
"Your uniform doesn't seem to fit. You're much too alive in it."

"You must be the change you want to see in the world" - Gandhi
"The worst prison would be a closed heart." - Pope John Paul II
Vekaiyu's Wiki Page | Ikrisia Levinile's Wiki Page | Listonia's Wiki Page

Todd McCloud
Member Avatar
Planet Telox
The Atlae Isles
Jan 2 2018, 07:05:43 PM
Yep! So do organophosphates, which are actually fairly common as nonreactive flame retardants. One such is TCPP, which has the phosphate near the center that provides an intumescent char and three chlorine atoms at the ends which help to prevent free radical growth and, ultimately, stop the spread of fire. However, certain permutations and different end groups of that molecule can be carcinogenic, but it's a small price to pay for flame retardancy if you ask me (TCPP and others are banned in things like toys, so there's that). There's even an organophosphate that's had limited success in anti-HIV research. Oddly enough, switching out one of the oxygen atoms for a sulfur (VX nerve agent) or Florine (sarin) can significantly alter the reactivity of the compound, which disrupts the ability for muscles to stop contracting. Normally this is regulated by acetylcholinesterase, an enzyme, but the highly reactive compounds throw this off, so basically nerve cells are saying "give me more of that!" and will take small amounts of nerve agents and prevent the switch from shutting off. So, when you watch "The Rock" and you see people's faces boiling off from VX Nerve gas, rest assured, that doesn't happen. Realistically, muscles contract and refuse to release, so the most common death is asphyxiation.

This is more violent and quicker than strychnine, which inhibits glycene regulation. VX also includes a triamine, which might suggest it could be acidic, but don't be fooled, that's not the case. Amines are a bit different - generally, if there are two amines in a chemical, the easier it is for those amines to touch (like in a long aliphatic chain) the more deadly the amine is. So, hexadiamine is super scary, but p-paraphenylenediamine, which can be found in older hairsprays, is not so much.
"Your uniform doesn't seem to fit. You're much too alive in it."

"You must be the change you want to see in the world" - Gandhi
"The worst prison would be a closed heart." - Pope John Paul II
Vekaiyu's Wiki Page | Ikrisia Levinile's Wiki Page | Listonia's Wiki Page

Atlae
Member Avatar
*AP Chem student brain explodes*

Hey, at least I know that amines are identifiable with nitrogens on a carbon chain, so there’s that ;)

This is a scientific and somewhat historical tidbit, but this is what we learned in class this week:

Albert Einstein was initially very dismissive of his equation E=mc^2’s ability to generate energy from mass. To paraphrase, he once said “Separating energy from an atom is like shooting for birds in the dark in a country in which there are very few birds.” To recap what he was saying, he said that it was possible to generate power from an atom, just not practical. This was true at the time, when it took much more energy to ‘smash’ atoms than it created by that ‘smashing.’

This was because at the time, scientists used alpha particles, or helium nuclei - 2 protons and 2 neutrons - to bombard into atomic nuclei. The problem was that alpha particles are positively charged, meaning that most were repelled by the atomic nuclei. This changed in the 1930s shortly after the neutron was discovered. Sincerely the neutron was neutrally charged, it wouldn’t be repelled by the atomic nuclei. Einstein’s student Leo Szilard calculated that when the neutron collided with the nucleus, it bonded with it, making the nucleus unstable and split via nuclear fission. This would release two or three neutrons, which would start a chain reaction.

Around this time, fascism was spreading around Europe and Nazi Germany was rising. Einstein and Szilard had left earlier. Szilard was concerned that the Nazis were soon going to discover how to utilize E=mc^2 for destruction. Indeed, Otto Hahn and Lise Meitner discovered that Uranium-235, after being hit by a neutron, split into Barium and Radium. So Szilard went to Einstein’s home in New York to convince him, a pacifist, to write a letter to then-President Roosevelt to warn of this threat. Thus, the Manhattan Project in Los Alamos was born. Of the letter that Einstein signed, he described it as the worst mistake he made in his life.

Semester final is next Friday, and my chemistry teacher said that nuclear chemistry is the easiest part. :P
Edited by Atlae, Jan 12 2018, 09:32:06 PM.
"Gloria in Terra"

Maintainer of the "game streak," or posting on the whole first page of the game room.

All these banners
TEP Positions
Other Positions

Masuicca
Member Avatar
Kilroy was here
The Atlae Isles
Jan 12 2018, 09:30:51 PM
*AP Chem student brain explodes*

Hey, at least I know that amines are identifiable with nitrogens on a carbon chain, so there’s that ;)

This is a scientific and somewhat historical tidbit, but this is what we learned in class this week:

Albert Einstein was initially very dismissive of his equation E=mc^2’s ability to generate energy from mass. To paraphrase, he once said “Separating energy from an atom is like shooting for birds in the dark in a country in which there are very few birds.” To recap what he was saying, he said that it was possible to generate power from an atom, just not practical. This was true at the time, when it took much more energy to ‘smash’ atoms than it created by that ‘smashing.’

This was because at the time, scientists used alpha particles, or helium nuclei - 2 protons and 2 neutrons - to bombard into atomic nuclei. The problem was that alpha particles are positively charged, meaning that most were repelled by the atomic nuclei. This changed in the 1930s shortly after the neutron was discovered. Sincerely the neutron was neutrally charged, it wouldn’t be repelled by the atomic nuclei. Einstein’s student Leo Szilard calculated that when the neutron collided with the nucleus, it bonded with it, making the nucleus unstable and split via nuclear fission. This would release two or three neutrons, which would start a chain reaction.

Around this time, fascism was spreading around Europe and Nazi Germany was rising. Einstein and Szilard had left earlier. Szilard was concerned that the Nazis were soon going to discover how to utilize E=mc^2 for destruction. Indeed, Otto Hahn and Lise Meitner discovered that Uranium-235, after being hit by a neutron, split into Barium and Radium. So Szilard went to Einstein’s home in New York to convince him, a pacifist, to write a letter to then-President Roosevelt to warn of this threat. Thus, the Manhattan Project in Los Alamos was born. Of the letter that Einstein signed, he described it as the worst mistake he made in his life.

Semester final is next Friday, and my chemistry teacher said that nuclear chemistry is the easiest part. :P
Posted Image

Nuclear Chemistry might as well be Chinese to me. LOL

Posted Image

Official Roles

Roleplay Information

Important Links

Atlae
Member Avatar
Masuicca
Jan 12 2018, 09:50:17 PM
Posted Image

哎,你说中文跟化学一样难吗?🤔

不,因为中文有一点容易,肯定你说化学是一样容易!😆😝
Edited by Atlae, Jan 12 2018, 10:37:47 PM.
"Gloria in Terra"

All these banners
TEP Positions
Other Positions

Masuicca
Member Avatar
Kilroy was here
The Atlae Isles
Jan 12 2018, 10:37:11 PM
Masuicca
Jan 12 2018, 09:50:17 PM
Posted Image

哎,你说中文跟化学一样难吗?🤔

不,因为中文有一点容易,肯定你说化学是一样容易!😆😝
Posted Image

Posted Image

Official Roles

Roleplay Information

Important Links

Mecovy
Member Avatar
You got blood on my Suit.
Nuclear chem/physics isn't too bad. I'm more interested in physics, but chemistry was my strongest subject in exams. Biology my weakest. My highest improvement was physics however. So to see people like myself out there is great.
Co-Minister of the news and regional officer. NS vet.

Regional Officer
Posted Image
Minister of EPNS
Posted Image
Immigration officer
Posted Image
Foreign Affairs
Posted Image
Magister
Posted Image

Masuicca
Member Avatar
Kilroy was here
We need a history thread for the scientifically-compromised.

Posted Image

Official Roles

Roleplay Information

Important Links

Drachen
Member Avatar
Yare yare dawa...
I've recently re-watched the entirety of Breaking Bad, and I've learned how they more or less tried to keep things as chemically sound as possible. Of course, in some instances (such as the fulminated mercury scene), situations have been glorified for dramatic effect, but it's always nice when in fictional contexts, writers try to keep things at least somewhat legitimate.

Then again, maybe that's not the case since you might not want people registering recipes for the production of methamphetamine. I guess that's why those scenes were often cut up so you couldn't really mimic the process.
Badges

Actual Dragon
Posted Image

Loli Protector
Posted Image

Marine Biologist
Posted Image

Queen of the Fairies
Posted Image

Yuri Enthusiast
Posted Image

Posted Image

- Lady Al'Ameth
Posted Image
Roles

Vizier
Posted Image

Minister of Culture
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Pollster
Posted Image

Rand Al'Thor
Member Avatar
Face Plant!
A little late on this. On March 14th 2018, also known as Pi Day and Albert Einstein's birthday, Stephen Hawking passed away. Rest in peace Stephen Hawking <3
Dragon Reborn
High King of Illian
Car'a'carn of the Aiel

The EPSA Badges

Posted Image

Drachen
Member Avatar
Yare yare dawa...
Tau is better than pi.
Badges

Actual Dragon
Posted Image

Loli Protector
Posted Image

Marine Biologist
Posted Image

Queen of the Fairies
Posted Image

Yuri Enthusiast
Posted Image

Posted Image

- Lady Al'Ameth
Posted Image
Roles

Vizier
Posted Image

Minister of Culture
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Pollster
Posted Image

La Navasse
Member Avatar
You got blood on my Suit.
The white hole is an alternative solution for Einstein's equations predicting a black hole.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · The Lounge · Next Topic »
Add Reply

© The East Pacific 2003-2018