Out of Character

Government
Executive Offices
Delegate: Yuno
Magisterium
Provost: Drachen
Conclave
Viceroy: Aelitia

Welcome to The East Pacific. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you may register an account here!

I'm registered. Where do I start?
When you sign up on our forums, your account may be limited to certain forums, and unable to make requests in our roleplay section. We recommend that you Apply for Citizenship to gain all the benefits of being part of our roleplay community!

Username:   Password:
Multiquote ON Multiquote off
Add Reply
Repeal: “Ban on Secret Treaties”; Voting ends 15th July
Topic Started: Jul 10 2018, 05:26:05 AM (122 Views)
Bai Lung
Member Avatar
Paradise City
General Assembly Resolution #408 “Ban on Secret Treaties” (Category: Furtherment of Democracy; Strength: Mild) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

The General Assembly,

Appreciating that General Assembly Resolution #408 (herein GAR#408) contains relevant and significant content, and was likely conceived without malice.

Concerned, however, with various aspects of GAR#408.

Noting that GAR#408 lists only the negative affects of what it terms "secret diplomacy." Wishing to clarify that such negotiations can indeed be of benefit, for reasons including but not limited to the following:

Secret alliances between various member states during wartime can often check the balance of power and lead to swifter resolutions, particularly if said alliances are being practised by member states acting defensibly; and

"Ambiguous relations" (defined as: "relations and/or diplomatic agreements that are not necessarily codified and made publicly available") between various member states can often act as a deterrent to aggressive nations, since such nations are more likely to lie dormant than risk involving themselves in what could potentially become a lost cause.

Further noting that GAR#408 concentrates only on "secret diplomacy" taking place during wartime. Understanding that "secret diplomacy" can operate in many other sectors, including but not limited to trade, and convinced that secret diplomacy has the capability to, in this instance, foster economic advantages.

Concluding that the disadvantages within GAR#408 outweigh the advantages.

Therefore, repeals GAR#408 Ban On Secret Treaties.
Posted Image
"Freedom..."
The Free Republic of Bai Lung
Visit my official NSWiki page on Bai Lung

Quote:

"They whine about discrimination. Do you know who is being discriminated against? The Hal'vonnist people of Dannistaan, the ones who created this nation... I am talking about the Dannistrian Hal'vonnist people of the North as well as the East...Communism is racial! A racial minority seized control in Bai Lung and in all her satellite states such as Kelssek, Dovakhan and the Free Pacific States, and many other countries I could name."

-Kelly Minn'ow-Jones, former leader of the Dannistrian National Party
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Bai Lung
Member Avatar
Paradise City
More info here: https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=446320&sid=cf562157fccddffb0266033c4ba64038

This resolution is now up for vote.

Bai Lung will vote AGAINST.
Posted Image
"Freedom..."

Quote:

"They whine about discrimination. Do you know who is being discriminated against? The Hal'vonnist people of Dannistaan, the ones who created this nation... I am talking about the Dannistrian Hal'vonnist people of the North as well as the East...Communism is racial! A racial minority seized control in Bai Lung and in all her satellite states such as Kelssek, Dovakhan and the Free Pacific States, and many other countries I could name."

United Massachusetts
Member Avatar
Face Plant!
Ministry Opinion:

The Ministry wishes to make no direct statement with regards to the text of the resolution at-hand, "Repeal 'Ban on Secret Treaties,'" seeing as the staff is divided as to whether they present sufficient grounds for the repeal of the less than desireable "Ban on Secret Treaties." We must, however, recommend a vote against on procedural grounds--the author, @Jocospor, refused to seriously engage in the drafting process, despite its clear benefits. The proposal could have been significantly improved if the author took time to engage with the General Assembly community, and we fear that by letting a poorly-drafted resolution pass, the General Assembly would set a precedent which would encourage authors to stay away from the General Assembly forum. Setting such a precedent would be altogether undesirable, and thus, we urge a vote against. We also, however, would urge @Jocospor to consider redrafting the resolution and taking advice from the community at-large.

Thus, we recommend a vote AGAINST this proposal
United Massachusetts
Stat crux dum volvitur orbis
To fall in love with God is the greatest romance; to seek Him the greatest adventure; to find Him, the greatest human achievement. -St. Augustine of Hippo

Bai Lung
Member Avatar
Paradise City
: "Repeal "Ban on Secret Treaties"" was defeated 9,914 votes to 5,678.
Posted Image
"Freedom..."

Quote:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · The General Assembly · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Infinite is a customized version of Simple ZB created by Protego of Outline & Zetaboards Theme Zone
Icons by Paomedia and hosted by imgur

© The East Pacific 2003-2018