Coalition building

I’ve been having lots of thoughts about what kind of coalition should be built, who it should have, and so on. I’m going to put them down in this post. Feel free spitball back if something doesn’t work. In several cases, I’ve found myself not knowing things about how this particular game is played. Also, I’m sure I’m going to overlook worthy players. Those with the voice of experience, please speak up. :slight_smile:

My first observation is that in order to prevent such nastiness as we’ve seen, TEP needs to have a coalition that acts as an oligarchy. Democratic, or even republic systems leave things open for the abuse of the system by people like them. TEP doesn’t need to have another ripping like that last one. In my opinion, the best way to keep power away frorm people like them is to concentrate it in the hands of a few people who are carefully selected and screened. Yes, that has dangers, too. However, in the end, with each coalition member acting as a check and balance to each other, I’m pretty sure that a carefully developed coalition can keep things running smoothly.

The size of the coalition is important, too. First, it should have an odd number of people so that there aren’t any tie votes. However, three is too small–too easy to abuse. Five is ideal; it’s big enough to have a variety of opinions, small enough to coordinate. Seven would be the next best thing, but at that point, coordination could become tricky.

Those five/seven should be senior coalition members. TEP should also create a junior coalition circle. Put these people in charge of an aspect of gameplay, such as greeting new nations, encouraging older nations to join WA (with emphasis on look, this happened, let’s not let this happen again), etc. This is one area where my lack of WA-level play interferes with my suggesting abilities. Could someone fill in with more suggestions?

The senior coalition members should not change unless there’s a major dissent going on, RL issues, or other such things. If the delegate position needs to be passed around (again, pardon my ignorance showing), then these five should have that in their hands OR have the power to remove a delegate if the delegate acts against the good of TEP.

Junior coalition members should have more fluidity. I don’t have a good system in mind on how to nominate or replace junior coalition members, and even having the system there, while necessary, is risky for infiltration. In the end, senior coalition members need to have the ability to dismiss the junior members if the junior members are acting against the good of TEP.

(Note: defining the good of TEP is another thing that needs to happen)

Checks and balances need to be developed, esp. for dealing with bannings and such. Again, I don’t know enough about the intricacies of the game to make comments on this topic.

NOTE: The next part is based on very recent experiences. I’m going to be missing worthy names. What I am suggesting is just that, a suggestion. Feel free to agree or disagree without me being upset. :slight_smile:

Right now, my short list for senior coalition members are:

A Slanting Black Stripe
Dannistaan
Stagnationstan

Those three are pretty firm in my mind as good guys.

I don’t know enough about the rest.

For Junior members, I’m thinking these guys:

Enchanted Worlds

I don’t have any other suggestions right now for good members.

Bare bones, but it’s there.

Suggestions? Recommendations? Happy thoughts? Lordie only knows we need happy thoughts right about now.

One other thing: I should not be a coalition member in any way except endorsing.

One: I don’t know enough about how the game is played at that level. I’ve been on this game at least 5-6 years, but honestly, I’ve never been interested in the RPG part of it. I’m more interested in watching my nation change and grow over time than I am in bigger politics.

Two: I’m aware that I’ve come across as a loose cannon on the RMB. That’s mostly deliberate, btw. As you can tell in these posts, I’m actually pretty civilized. However, waking up one day and finding myself stabbed in the back pretty much woke up every predatory instinct I had, and well, given some other RL things, my temper is very close to out of hand. Honestly, I don’t want to be doing this.

They ruined my game. I enjoyed coming to my nation, watching it grow, and staying away from things that would make me angry. I didn’t want this. After all this is set up, I’ve got to take a long break from NS1. I’m too hurt. It’s gonna be a long time before I can look at this game without bleeding inside.

I am so mad. They had no reason to do any of this except arbitrary maliciousness. I didn’t need to be involved! All I can do right now is sit here and bawl. I get told to play nice by the moderators, but where in the hell was that “play nice” rule when I was kicked out of TEP for no other reason than I probably showed up on the front page that day?!

I can’t be a coalition member and stay sane. I have to go back to being a sleeping giant or I have to leave NS, and for crying out loud I’ve been a member of NS for longer than just about any of them. I’m not leaving over these petty children!

I can help by voting for the right people, endorsing the right people, and giving suggestions on what I think will work. But I can’t be in that. I’ve got bigger issues to deal with, like, trying not to freeze to death in a drafty house, a puppy who needs potty trained, an aging mother, an emotional husband, and my own serious anxiety issues.

I want these guys tacked out to dry in TEP. I’ll do what I can to help you guys get there.

I’d be careful about wanting “these guys tacked out to dry”. Hatred begets more hatred. Besides, their time will come. They are as vulnerable to time as others are. When the sands in the hour glass run out for them, they will learn. If not, they better make peace with their makers, lest they miss the chance for redemption.

— Begin quote from ____

One other thing: I should not be a coalition member in any way except endorsing.

One: I don’t know enough about how the game is played at that level. I’ve been on this game at least 5-6 years, but honestly, I’ve never been interested in the RPG part of it. I’m more interested in watching my nation change and grow over time than I am in bigger politics.

Two: I’m aware that I’ve come across as a loose cannon on the RMB. That’s mostly deliberate, btw. As you can tell in these posts, I’m actually pretty civilized. However, waking up one day and finding myself stabbed in the back pretty much woke up every predatory instinct I had, and well, given some other RL things, my temper is very close to out of hand. Honestly, I don’t want to be doing this.

They ruined my game. I enjoyed coming to my nation, watching it grow, and staying away from things that would make me angry. I didn’t want this. After all this is set up, I’ve got to take a long break from NS1. I’m too hurt. It’s gonna be a long time before I can look at this game without bleeding inside.

I am so mad. They had no reason to do any of this except arbitrary maliciousness. I didn’t need to be involved! All I can do right now is sit here and bawl. I get told to play nice by the moderators, but where in the hell was that “play nice” rule when I was kicked out of TEP for no other reason than I probably showed up on the front page that day?!

I can’t be a coalition member and stay sane. I have to go back to being a sleeping giant or I have to leave NS, and for crying out loud I’ve been a member of NS for longer than just about any of them. I’m not leaving over these petty children!

I can help by voting for the right people, endorsing the right people, and giving suggestions on what I think will work. But I can’t be in that. I’ve got bigger issues to deal with, like, trying not to freeze to death in a drafty house, a puppy who needs potty trained, an aging mother, an emotional husband, and my own serious anxiety issues.

I want these guys tacked out to dry in TEP. I’ll do what I can to help you guys get there.

— End quote

What’s past is past, good friend. And, while you may be new, no worries. New players bring new blood. Thanks for sticking with us, lol. https://groups.tapatalk-cdn.com/smilies/52127/1536592185.9788-smiley.gif?ttinline=true

— Begin quote from ____

I’d be careful about wanting “these guys tacked out to dry”. Hatred begets more hatred. Besides, their time will come. They are as vulnerable to time as others are. When the sands in the hour glass run out for them, they will learn. If not, they better make peace with their makers, lest they miss the chance for redemption.

— End quote

Quite the deep-thinker.

It should be said that all Pacific-region governments are oligarchies, in that they place power in the hands of a small minority of the population. Even in the most totally egalitarian of functioning systems, that minority consisted of the people who showed up on a forum. The 90+% of nations who do not participate in a forum cannot be contacted by any feasible means. Therefore, they cannot be represented and true democracy is impossible. Anyone who is actually reading this is an exception.

The council system that Nylter describes mirrors the systems that other Pacifics (West and North) have devised after hard experiences with abuse of power by their Delegates. A small group of trusted and active natives with high influence and high endorsements allows any one of them to function as a locus of resistance if the Delegate goes rogue (or if an outsider seizes the Delegacy). It’s a good idea, and its absence in past EP iterations, including the Empire, has been a glaring weakness.

— Begin quote from ____

Quite the deep-thinker.

— End quote

But it is true. If we go around rounding up all the members of the Empire and stick them into a Nuremberg style war crimes tribunal, it risks degenerating into a baying mob only thirsty for blood, which in turn makes them want to invade again. What’s the point in that? Ultimately, they will be sorted out by time, as all other groups of their ilk have been. We need do nothing except make sure they remain nothing more but annoyances.

— Begin quote from ____

— Begin quote from ____

Quite the deep-thinker.

— End quote

Ultimately, they will be sorted out by time, as all other groups of their ilk have been. We need do nothing except make sure they remain nothing more but annoyances.

— End quote

Ahh, see, with people with egos like these, being put out to pasture as nothing more than annoyances IS tacking them out to dry. They become sad, pathetic mouthpieces of hatred, bigotry, and maliciousness, eventually having nothing more to consume but themselves.

I’m not interested in trials. I’m not interested in revenge. I’m interested in never, ever having to do anything more than watching my nation grow and change in comparison to other nations in TEP, keeping the delegate in power, and maybe occasionally checking the WA voting scheme.

They are objects of scorn. They deserve nothing more.

Ok. Consider that https://groups.tapatalk-cdn.com/smilies/52127/1536592186.951-smiley.gif?ttinline=true
thoroughly beaten.

How about a Delegate and two Deputy Delegates as a triumvirate?

I have to agree I meant ta post about this a day or so ago but forgot, I really dont want to see a war crimes commision. we are more mature than that.