Dawn of the Empire

May 29th
00:12
Krzysztofmiasto, Piorunpreria

Hildstan woke up in a cold sweat. He had just woken up from a nightmare about the war. He had nightmares every night since the end of the War of Independence, and he doubted they would end anytime soon. They were all relatively the same, he would watch his friends and family die before dying himself and waking up.

Hildstan looked around the dark room. It looked like your average hotel room in any developed nation. The nation was crippled and didn’t have enough money to spend on frivolous things like a fancy bed. At night this room scared him, it was desolate, free of any furniture other than the bed. He decided that instead of scaring himself further, he would just try to go back to sleep.

The rest of the night was filled with restless sleep, he couldn’t escape from the nightmares. Eventually it was morning and Hildstan got out of bed. He opened the curtain and looked outside his window. The city was filled with rubble, the scars of a war. He saw people walking down the streets, well, if you could even call them streets. The streets were filled with holes from the mortars that had hit them.

He decided that rather than staring out his window all day, that he should get dressed. He walked over to the closet before remembering, he was meant to give a speech today. He grabbed his best looking suit, and walked over toward the bathroom. He turned on the shower and got in. The water was ice cold, just the way he liked it. He stood there in the cold water for about an hour before turning off the water. After drying himself off he looked in the mirror. He looked different everyday. He slipped into his suit and left his room.

Hildstan’s daughter, Sæswið was sitting at the dinner table, eating breakfast. “Morning dad,” she said, waving at him.

“Good morning Sæswið,” he replied, walking straight towards the fridge. He opened it. Nothing. Sæswið must have had the rest of the food. Now he had another thing on his checklist of things to do. Though he didn’t mind, he wasn’t hungry anyways, his daughter should always come first.

“I need to get going, I’ll be back tonight,” Hildstan said to his daughter, now facing her.

“Goodbye dad, I love you,” Sæswið replied, a smile on her face.

This caused Hildstan to smile as he opened up the door to leave, “I love you too sweetie,” he replied before he walked out the door.

Hildstan shut the door, walking to where the car that was to take him to his speech should be. Little did he know that he had just lied to his daughter, and he would never see her smile again. For there was someone special waiting for him at the town square.