I am new, but...

I found this game ‘NationStates’, but I never created a nation. So I began to explore the maze of nations and roleplays, and to visit the web sites with relation.

I never said anything at the NS forums, because I have no nation. At site called ‘WikiStates’, I found the ability of speech. Then a WikiStates user said in reply to me,

My nationless station seems to impede my ability to understand the NationStates game, the several nations and the roleplays. Because I have no nation, I must say nothing at the NS forums, but I might have found a workaround: I found that some nation was in ‘The East Pacific’. I visited the regional page, and followed some link through the World Factbook Entry to these forums of TEP. I now have a forum account here, though I have no nation at NS. I might finally begin any discussions between my nationless self and those players with nations.

I might eventually create a nation, so here are my two specific questions.

[ul]
[li] What happens when one clicks the ‘Continue’ button at the page for ‘Create a Nation’? How much information would I need to supply at the second page of the form?
[li] I recall the opinions of some users at the NS forums, that for the recruitment of nations to regions, the good way is to telegram new nations, but the bad way is to put adverts in regional message boards. Logic suggests that if I would look for a region, the good way would be to read my telegrams, but the bad way would be to read adverts in regional message boards. Should I delay the creation of my nation until I am ready to receive such telegrams and select a region?
[/li][/ul]

Hey there, welcome to our region! Pretty cool you found us through wikistates - honestly, I think this is the first time I’ve seen this. Welcome!

Let me try to answer your questions.

— Begin quote from ____

What happens when one clicks the ‘Continue’ button at the page for ‘Create a Nation’? How much information would I need to supply at the second page of the form?

— End quote

You are referring to the page that provides an array of different issues and asks how strongly your nation agrees or disagrees with said issues? Honestly, you don’t have to answer them all - you could simply click the user agreement on the bottom of the page and be set. But that’s up to you. Once you get past that page, your nation is created: you can answer issues, change the flag, motto, etc. Also: we don’t necessarily base our NS nations off our roleplay nations here. That’s also up to you, if you want to pursue roleplaying here, that is. But it’s fun, I swear https://groups.tapatalk-cdn.com/smilies/52127/1536592185.9788-smiley.gif?ttinline=true

— Begin quote from ____

I recall the opinions of some users at the NS forums, that for the recruitment of nations to regions, the good way is to telegram new nations, but the bad way is to put adverts in regional message boards. Logic suggests that if I would look for a region, the good way would be to read my telegrams, but the bad way would be to read adverts in regional message boards. Should I delay the creation of my nation until I am ready to receive such telegrams and select a region?

— End quote

This is a more open-ended question, but honestly, there is very little a nation can do to avoid advertisement telegrams when they initially start playing the game, outside of immediately moving out of a Feeder region (that is, a pacific, like The East Pacific, lol). The game offers a variety of regions and players. Honestly, you can take the ads for face-value, but they are often glamorized and do not show the ‘bad side’ of a particular region. Ultimately, it’s up to you as to what region you want to be in. If you’d like to be here, then you’re more than welcome to move your nation here. If you’d like to try the region you start in (which could be us, lol), feel free to do so. If you want to take a chance on another region, one that isn’t a ‘Pacific’, you may as well. There’s really no right or wrong choice here. It all depends on what you want out of the game and what you want to accomplish.

Hope that helps!

Welcome!

Welcome!

The initial questionnaire just takes a couple of minutes. When your nation is founded in a feeder (game created) region, you get telegrams (TGs) from recruiters. If you never want to hear from them again, check the TG and go the bottom of the page and click on “Ignore telegrams from this sender.” Some regions are persistent and create new nations to get around that, but it’s a stupid move because it just annoys those of us who choose to live here.

They can also post one recruiting ad on our regional message board (RMB) every 24 hours. Many feeders like ours have rules to keep them brief and not butt-ugly. Doesn’t stop us from teasing them anyway. Teasing is different than taunting or attacking other players, which violates the game rules and your nation could get deleted.

You are presented with two issues a day until five pile up, then the game waits for you to decide them before giving you more. You can ignore them, dismiss them, decide them, or go into Settings and turn them off.

As long as you log in every 28 days, your nation exists. You can play issues or not. You can stay in the feeder you were founded in or move to any region you like as long as they welcome new players. If they don’t there’s usually a password on the region so when you try to move there, you can’t without knowing it.

If a region says it is a “classroom region” do NOT go there or bother them. It’s literally a school classroom assignment and the rules say leave the students alone.

I am an ambassador from a user created region (UCR). Most of them are quite small and I read somewhere that about 20% of them have passwords. There are a few big ones out there that tend to be organized around a theme like active democracy, military (the whole raider/defender thing is under discussion elsewhere on this forum - look for Todd’s topic), involvement in the World Assembly (WA - again, voluntary), role playing, studying game issues, or just goofing around. No one may recruit nations in a UCR - not by TG or on their RMB.

Most active, larger regions have offsite forums like this one. They are run by the region’s forum administrator and NationStates itself requires that regions police them themselves - they won’t get involved here. They have their hands full running NationStates. You don’t have to join an offsite forum to be in a region. It’s voluntary.

You play this game any way you like. What follows is my personal advice, not game rules:

1. When you’re new to the game, lurk more and say less. Watch and listen a learn about how folks roll.

2. The first place to get game related questions answered is on the NS forum in The One Stop Rules Shop. If your question isn’t covered there, search the forum. If you have a question you can’t find an answer here - I just started a thread in The University of The East Pacific called “Ask the Manatee.” I’m happy to help you out.

3. In a region, the WA Delegate (and/or Founder in a UCR) is the leader and sets the tone. Cross them and you might be warned or ejected from the region - which means your nation is forcibly moved to a feeder called The Rejected Realms (TRR). It’s not the end of the world - some of my best friends have been ejected. LOL. It’s not a terrible place. The TRR Delegate Kandarin is delightful.

4. Avoid regions where people are hostile, demand that you join the forum or WA, or pester you to be “more active.” Hang with nations you like in an environment you feel comfortable. It’s supposed to be fun. That’s why they call it a game.

:lol:

ultharambassadorbarbara wrote:
> 1. When you’re new to the game, lurk more and say less. Watch and listen a learn about how folks roll.

I have lurked. Firefox tells me that my first visit to NationStates was at 24 December 2009, and that I have made frequent visits, every few days, since 15 January 2010. This is more than 3 months of lurking! The front of the NS forums ranks 3rd place for most visited locations.

> 3. In a region, the WA Delegate (and/or Founder in a UCR) is the leader and sets the tone. Cross them and you might be warned or ejected from the region - which means your nation is forcibly moved to a feeder called The Rejected Realms (TRR). It’s not the end of the world - some of my best friends have been ejected. LOL. It’s not a terrible place. The TRR Delegate Kandarin is delightful.

I will take this advice, and not worry too much if someone ejects my nation.

> When your nation is founded in a feeder (game created) region, you get telegrams (TGs) from recruiters… I am an ambassador from a user created region (UCR)… No one may recruit nations in a UCR - not by TG or on their RMB.

Todd McCloud wrote:
> This is a more open-ended question, but honestly, there is very little a nation can do to avoid advertisement telegrams when they initially start playing the game, outside of immediately moving out of a Feeder region (that is, a pacific, like The East Pacific, lol). The game offers a variety of regions and players… There’s really no right or wrong choice here. It all depends on what you want out of the game and what you want to accomplish.

While I lurked, I found a Technical forum thread entitled ‘NationStates • View topic - Suggestion: Abolish RMB ads’. That one thread taught, to me, most of what I know about regional adverts in this game. Multiple players agreed that RMB ads are almost worthless, and that TG ads are better.

Because I am nationless, I have never said anything in that thread. It seems to me that only nations can receive telegrams. Because I am nationless, RMB ads are better than TG ads for me, because I only see RMB ads. That one thread ‘Suggestion: Abolish RMB ads’ gives me a new concern, that I might want to get TG ads, but if I created a nation during May 2010, and looked for a region during January 2011, then my TG ads might be 8 months too old.

This would happen if regions only send TG ads to very new nations. Would I receive TG ads only as a new nation, or would I continue to receive TG ads?

— Begin quote from ____

This would happen if regions only send TG ads to very new nations. Would I receive TG ads only as a new nation, or would I continue to receive TG ads?

— End quote

All nations in feeders continue to get TG ads, but once the nation is not new they will arrive at a greatly reduced rate.

Even though I’d like them to go, RMB ads aren’t going anywhere. As an older (part the point of regular ads) nation, you’d also have more options for finding new regions besides ads. You’d be able to ask the rest of this region what regions are good, and you’d be able to get a lot of good responses.

— Begin quote from ____

Todd McCloud wrote:
> This is a more open-ended question, but honestly, there is very little a nation can do to avoid advertisement telegrams when they initially start playing the game, outside of immediately moving out of a Feeder region (that is, a pacific, like The East Pacific, lol). The game offers a variety of regions and players… There’s really no right or wrong choice here. It all depends on what you want out of the game and what you want to accomplish.

While I lurked, I found a Technical forum thread entitled ‘NationStates • View topic - Suggestion: Abolish RMB ads’. That one thread taught, to me, most of what I know about regional adverts in this game. Multiple players agreed that RMB ads are almost worthless, and that TG ads are better.

Because I am nationless, I have never said anything in that thread. It seems to me that only nations can receive telegrams. Because I am nationless, RMB ads are better than TG ads for me, because I only see RMB ads. That one thread ‘Suggestion: Abolish RMB ads’ gives me a new concern, that I might want to get TG ads, but if I created a nation during May 2010, and looked for a region during January 2011, then my TG ads might be 8 months too old.

— End quote

You’d probably still get telegrams - heck, I even got telegrams from regions that wanted me to join their region while I was a delegate. But, the bulk of your ad telegrams will be within the first 2-3 days that your nation is created. These ads are generally longer than the ads provided on the RMB, but yeah. I suppose you’ll just have to create a nation to really get the feel of the game :slight_smile:

Also, keep in mind you’re allowed to create as many nations as you want, so if you want to ‘test the waters’ so to speak, it wouldn’t hurt, lol.

Kandarin wrote:
> As an older (part the point of regular ads) nation, you’d also have more options for finding new regions besides ads.

So I am not doomed if I miss the ads but want to join some region. This is the answer that I want.

Todd McCloud wrote:
> Also, keep in mind you’re allowed to create as many nations as you want, so if you want to ‘test the waters’ so to speak, it wouldn’t hurt, lol.

One nation would be enough for me. Or two nations would be enough, if I would discard the first nation.

I am not ready to create my new nation, because I have not chosen a national name or a national motto. There is no way that I can play NationStates without a name or motto, so I must delay my entry into the game until later.

I also lack the knowledge that I would need to roleplay characters from my future nation, or to answer questions about my future nation (such as questions that might appear on the second page of the form to create a nation). My future nation has an extremely vague history, with events in uncertain order, and persons without names.

Before I create my nation, I also want to determine my national calendar. I think that 8 leap years per 33 solar years might be reasonable. I almost decided that X is a leap year if X mod 33 mod 4 = 0, but that would give 9 leap years instead of 8. I might instead use X mod 33 mod 4 = 1 or X mod 33 mod 4 = 3. To make a better calendar, I might want to learn to make astronomical calculations about vernal equinoxes.

Before I clarify my history and fix my calendar, I would like to ponder an easier puzzle, such as how to send my diplomats to the World Assembly.

The logistics are not simple. I am aware of NationStates • View topic - Passed General Assembly Resolutions. There seems to be no agreement among players about the details of these headquarters, so I would have some room to invent details that disagree with other players. One of these details is how to transport diplomats in and out of these headquarters. I believe that these headquarters include an airstrip on international territory.

The three ways to fly diplomats are own planes, charter planes and ordinary passenger flights. The larger and wealthier nations may own planes, or charter planes, to fly their diplomats. My new nation, being smaller and more poor, will need ordinary passenger flights. These flights are not reaching the World Assembly Headquarters because the general public is not flying there. I propose a General Assembly resolution to fix the problem.

— Begin quote from ____

World Assembly Airline

Category: International Security
Strength: Mild

The General Assembly,

Recalling that member states require methods to transport their diplomats to and from the World Assembly Headquarters,

Noting that many nations fly their own airplanes, or hire charter planes, to transport their diplomats between nations, but Acknowledging that some states prefer to send their diplomats on cheaper passenger flights,

Fulfilling the need for an airline to provide passenger flights at the World Assembly Headquarters,

Hereby:

1. Creates the World Assembly Airline (WA Air),

2. Orders WA Air to offer passenger flight service to diplomats, government officials, and other persons traveling between the World Assembly Headquarters and WA member states,

3. Permits WA Air to schedule direct or indirect flights,

4. Constrains WA Air to only carry persons traveling to or from the World Assembly Headquarters, or persons necessary to operate the airline,

5. Requires WA Air to meet the same safety standards as passenger airlines that fly the general public between WA member states,

6. Authorizes WA Air to finance the airline by selling tickets to passengers, by charging additional fees for baggage or luggage, and by offering to sell in-flight meals, pillows and blankets, and other goods or services during the flight,

7. Requires all WA member states to provide security to deter terrorism or hostile acts against aircraft of WA Air in their national airspace or on their national territory.

— End quote

The only purpose of item 7 is to slightly boost the national police and military budgets, so that this proposal can fit in some category. (I took the ‘International Security’ category from NationStates • View topic - Rules for GA Proposals)

This proposal may have significant and serious problems. Because I have no nation, I obviously cannot submit the proposal and cannot discuss it in the NS forums. The chicken-and-egg problem is amusing: the chicken needs to hatch from an egg, but the egg needs to be laid my a chicken. Likewise, my diplomats would need to travel to the headquarters to propose WA Air, but they would need WA Air to travel to the headquarters! I wonder if my diplomats can take the train.

I hope that I have shown, that though I have not created my nation, I am working to create my nation.