Meeting of the First Grand Council

Erik chuckled at Sayli, “Snow? Only in higher altitudes to the south, which thankfully the majority of East Malaysia is tropical. As a culture, we don’t like the cold, but since I am a diplomat, I deal with it. But a few places do actually see snow now and then but typically in the southern human territories in the mountain ranges.”

Erik checked his watch again, “Now I really to hate to run but I thought I would just come over and thank you for showing up before starting, we can speak after the meeting if you like,” he shook their hands and started towards the podium. The last of the members were filing in from what he guessed based on the number of people still on the floor or seated.

“If I may have your attention ladies and gentlemen,” everyone paused from who they were talking with to listen, “If you don’t mind taking your seats, we can start with the meeting today.”

Grand Hall Main Assembly

“Ready for today?”

Nikolai Grigorin, a middle-aged lobo nodded his head. His black-gray fur blended in well with his dark business suit, a gold ring embedded with a combined sapphire and ruby resting on his left ring finger, the blue of the sapphire matching his eyes. He wore a Laiatanese flag on the lapel of his jacket. His shined shoes clacked against the ground in step with Moiseyev’s own shined shoes. “I think so. I’ve dealt with nations one on one, just never every nation at once.”

Mykola Moiseyev, an older lobo laughed. “Oh, it isn’t that bad. That’s the only difference, having to deal with multiple countries.” The green-eyed, golden-gray furred lobo held a briefcase similar to Grigorin’s, and wore a gold ring embedded with a combined amethyst and topaz on his left ring finger. Like Grigorin, he wore a flag on his lapel proudly.

The two lobos quickly found and took their seats behind their desk, briefcases set on the floor beside them. Moiseyev examined the room, taking note of what nations had arrived and which ones hadn’t. He leaned in to Grigorin. “There’s the Vekaiyuns. We need to watch them.” Grigorin looked a bit confused. “I thought it was a rogue sub that shot down the helicopters. Plus they agreed to pay reparations for the families.” Moiseyev shrugged. “I was just told to watch 'em. I don’t think we need to worry, but you never know.”

Katrina Amsel, an athletic blond caucasian wearing a mid-level officer uniform slightly shorter than regulation allows, running through the corridors looking for the meeting room was a pleasant visage that brought smiles to some who were passing by…

…“And i couldn´t care less if you are enjoying the show” she thought ruefully, as she feared she would mess up her first important assignment, as main representative from Drakkengard on this regional meeting.

Somewhat behind her, and looking as calm as it gets, her companions, a tall, strong man, with a few metallic parts appearing and indicating he was a cyborg, and a small hooded boy, both also clad in military uniform followed her…

The two ASR agents hurried to their assigned place. Vasiliy looked left and right, looking at all the representatives. He even spotted some Vulpines, much like the one he saw in the ASR HQ some time ago. In the meanwhile Konyev Newski sat calmly, half sleeping. From time to time he would gaze around.
-Isn’t this amazing? All the nations are here!- Vasiliy excliam with glee -Think of all the things we could learn! All the weapons and technology we could gleam-
-We are not here to sight see- Konyev reminded -We must simply keep the Borsuk out.-
-Then I will look if I can find some!- Vasiliy said and ran off
-Ah… always on the move…- Konyev said and returned to sleep.

The Lazlowian and Algaisian representatives were, of course, already at their designated places. quietly waiting for the meeting to start.

The Bachtendekuppen delegation entered the great hall. Remosi looked around and saw the room was already quite filled with delegations, they must be one of the last to arrive. No wonder, as the plane had been delayed hours because of ‘technical reasons’. Mckenzie had found their designated seats and Remosi proceeded to their spots. It looked like the meeting would get started very soon.

“The Listonian representatives have arrived.”

Makswel squinted his eyes as he returned to his seat. “I don’t recognize them,” he said to Sayli. “Suppose they speak Unonian?”

Sayli sighed as she grabbed her folder and skimmed over the documents in it. She was not one for simple humor. “No sign of the Dverians, though. But the delegates from Vodrak has arrived. Suppose they’ll tell us where our foreign officer is? She turned up missing since we last attempted relations with them.”

“I’m more curious to see what Radics has to say,” Makswel remarked. “I heard what happened to him over in Lazlowia. Wouldn’t be surprised if he wanted to strangle the next Vekaiyun he came face-to-face with.”

“Up for the challenge?”

“Of course. I like putting my neck on the line. Hey! Who are some of these other nations?”

Sayli looked up. “Those two? They’re from the archipelago nation Bachtendekuppen. Pretty far away from the noise in the region these days I assume, but this would be the first step to get involved.”

“Yeah, I guess. As long as they like Vekaiyuns, of course.”

“That’s not the prime objective here.”

The Babianian delegation entered apologetically.

"Sorry for the delay, there was a storm over Christie Island earlier today, and the pilot decided to wait and see if the Bachtendekuppian plane was able to land safely before making the attempt.

It’s so good to see you all here. Please continue."

A few more delegations entered and took their seats quickly when they realized the meeting was starting.

“First off, I would like to thank everyone for showing up today on such short of a notice, especially with how the weather has been lately. This is the first Grand Council-type meeting in quite a few years and with the rest of the regional government up for grabs, we have a choice here today on how the regional government will function. I am hopeful we can develop a path forward for the regional government to have more influence.” Erik took a look around the room then continued.

“The first order of business to elect a Speaker to this body, who will serve as the moderator of discussion and bring order to what can erupt into chaos. For those of you who feel up to the job, please nominate yourself or if you wish to nominate another member of a delegation, please do so now.”

He knew that while he had been sent to observe the Grand Council, he figured that by nominating a nation that Vulshain had no ties with would put Vulshain in good standing with the chosen nation. Ketoff stood up. “If I may as representative of Vulshain I hereby nominate the Bachtendekuppen delegation for Speaker of the Grand Council.”

Ooc ugh. Stupid smart phone. Let me try again.

“Since the honorable delegate of East Malaya has already taken up this position unofficially,”- said Lengyel-“he might as well do it officially. So I nominate him for the position of the speaker.”

The most powerful politicians in Toehold were meeting in a supermarket.

Technically, it was a distribution center, and it was also one of the few buildings both large and stable enough for such a body to meet. Nevertheless, the leaders themselves adopted this view - it was generally considered a Good Idea in Toehold politics to keep yourself humble. Otherwise everybody else will do it for you.

The group could not be more eclectic in their demeanors and states of dress, or lack thereof. Professional politicians sat beside bomb throwing anarchists sat beside career military. All except for one at the table were the largest holders of proxy votes in the country. This was the Parliament, and they held one third of the Executive power in the nation. The sole holder of another third of that power was wearing an extremely silly, heavy crown, and looked like nothing so much as an overworked daycare employee.

“Alright. We have to send somebody - two somebodies. And Clary is already the Foreign Affairs minister. I tried pawning this off on her, seen as they’ll technically be her underlings, and she politely but firmly told me to…well, it was not her job.” Gen. Christopher Davis (ret.) readjusted the crown for the billionth time. “So, with trepidation, I’m asking the Parliament to give recommendations for the positions of Grand Council representatives.”

Of course The Admiral was the first to stand up. Of course he was in his usual “uniform” of not a stitch of clothing except for his Hat. The story of how he came into possession of the Hat, his name, and enough love from the populous to get him into Parliament is the stuff of nightmares for oppressive regimes. “I must go. The people of The East Pacific need me!” Somehow, he was able to make his dramatic gestures look not completely ridiculous.

“Sit down. Shut up. Let me explain this: Clary will be your boss, and you’ll be her boss. It don’t work like that. So you get to be one or the other.”

“Then I release all of my proxies! I renounce my Parliamentary seat! I must go forth and spread the joy of our people!”

Davis finally lost his temper. “You know what? Fine. I’m holding you to that. You don’t get to sit at the big kid’s table anymore. You go out and be the prophet of horrible, horrible freedom. I’m putting myself one hundred percent behind that. You happy now?!”

“Yes.”

“Good.”

“Fine.”

“Moving on,” Davis said, trying to be heard over the cackling and catcalls. “I don’t want to be involved in the second selection. Quite a few of this country’s detractors think that I’m too buddy-buddy with the Parliament.” He smiled wryly at the collection of friends and compatriots from the revolution. “So you all get to bicker with the people to figure out who you want. As long as they’ve got just ONE moderate bone in their body…” he looked venomously at the Admiral, “I’m okay with it. I believe we have political fervor adequately covered.”

Main council hall in the Hall of Provinces, Estarath.

The council hall, usually filled by Councilmen bickering over petty details of the budget, held only empty chairs and dark pillars holding up the grand dome. Down at the marble base of the mighty room two figures stood two figures, the one in deep blue robes of traditional design and the other in a dull green uniform of a general.

“We don’t need to send anyone”, the soldier took a cigarette from a small metal case before putting back into his pocket. “The Rose needs no-one.”

The woman in robes sighed heavily. “It is not your, nor my decision to make. The Empress has ordered this, and we are to follow.”

“It shows weakness.” The man said puffing smoke. “But what would a cunt-licker know? You’re the Councilman of Foreign Affairs; can’t you speak to her?”

The woman tried not to hear the treacherous insult. “I could but I agree with her Imperial Majesty on this. We can’t be left on the side-lines when others decide for the future and trade.”

The generals face tightened. “I suppose a petty soldier like I can’t change her decision then. Who are we going to send then? You?”

The Councilman shook her head. “I must stay and serve the Rose here. To go in my stead, I’ve chosen two loyal Roses.”

“And who-” a cough from behind the aged soldier near stopped his heart as he turned to face the intruder.

Behind him stood a ginger man in his twenties with an amused expression. His neck and body there on was covered by a seemingly one-piece mechanical armor with armor plates of blood red, the color of the Imperial Inquisition.

“Etred Ymaer, at your service, lord Polaar”, the young man said still with a glimmer in his green eyes.

The general turned back to the Councilman. “You’re sending an Inquisitor?! Are you mad?”

"He is the perfect choice. An Inquisitor has the skills of a diplomat and a soldier, without the spinelessness or the rigidness. Same time he knows the game of politics and espionage and is even able to protect himself.

“Who is the other one then? A Paladin?”

The Councilman smiled. “No, he’ll be someone from my office.”

The general looked at the two. “Have I no say in this? Why am I even here if everything has been decided upon?”

“I would like to know if you agree with all this.”

Polaar’s nostrils flared and eyes widened. “How could I agree with this? The Empress is trying to near-purposefully weaken the Empire and whole election was a sham! It must have been! You must know that the Rose can’t survive under this rule.”

“I know of the separatist conspiracy theories, and I’m sad to hear you believe in them.”

Before the general’s answer, the metal clad hand on the Inquisitor landed on his shoulder and shocks and electricity coursed through the old man. After he had fallen on the marble floor, the Inquisitor bowed as the Councilman casually walked away. Soon after the Inquisitor’s departure, two men in blood red armor came to collect the body, leaving the room ready for the next Council meeting.

Sayli sighed as she looked across the various delegations, listening to the number of nominations spew out. “For once, I am willing to agree with the sentiments of Lazlowia.” She stood up. “Vekaiyu agrees - we believe Erik Westwood would be the strongest candidate to lead this body.”

As she stood down, Makswel tugged on her blazer. “Hey I thought this was going to be a team decision!” he whispered.

“Your concern has been noted,” she replied.

Following a brief bit of silence, Mykola stood up after a bit of discussion between himself and Nikola. He clearing his throat, he began speaking. “We agree with the Vekaiyun and Lazlowian delegations. Mr. Westwood would be the best choice for the position.”

Mykola took his seat next to Nikola.

In deference to local law and custom, The Admiral had deigned to wear a loincloth. Upon it was a picture of the national symbol of a cockroach, rather blatantly stolen from the world’s most popular wiki. His associate, and senior member of the delegation (And the fact that a Parliamentarian who resigned to take this post was not senior told you pretty much all you needed to know about Toehold politics) sat with a polite, attentive gaze at the proceedings. As the Laiatan sat down, he stood up, nodding respectfully to Mr. Westwood. In a clear, ringing voice trained to carry, and just a hint of posh, he declared: “The people of Toehold find the politics of East Malaya to be acceptable. We add our endorsement for this as well.” With another polite nod edging towards a bow, he sits back down.

Erik was actually surprised at all of the endorsements that were cast in his favor.

“I must thank all of you for having faith in me and respectfully accept the position of Speaker. As my first duty I would like to appoint the senior Bachtendekuppen delegation member as Deputy Speaker,” he said he a smile to everyone and a nod to the Bachtendekuppen delegation.

“Now we do have a lot to discuss today but first I would like to open the floor for any delegation to speak but more specifically I believe that the delegate from Toehold actually lodged a request with my office before the meeting and I would have brought it up either way because this is about mutual cooperation between our nations. After that we can move to any other delegation that wants to have any opening remarks to what your nations goal is with the regional government.”

Remosi rose from his chair and looked around the filled hall.

“I most sincerely thank Erik Westwood and the East Malaysian delegation for their appointment and I will do my upmost to fulfill this task and to ensure the succes of this meeting. I thus accept this appointment if this has the general approval of the honourable delegations present here.”

“I also thank the Vulshain delegation and their smartphones for a nomination as Speaker of this assembly, although I feel this would have been too much honour to a new nation like ours.”

Dr. Leviticus Akapo was in his element. Here was the work that was worthy of him. As much as he loved his adopted country - He was not one of the few survivors, but was instead driven to the country by religious persecution - it was rough, unpolished, but, hopefully, not fatally flawed. Ensuring that his country had time to become the jewel it so desperately wanted to be was what led him to accept the nomination for Representative.

“Mr. Speaker, Deputy, Representatives of the Grand Council. I feel deeply privileged and honored to be here today, at this assembly of august personages. Never have I seen a group more keenly dedicated to the peace and prosperity of their brothers and sisters, no matter what country they happen to be from.” A bit of a lie, but it was always good to set the tone.
“As many of you know, within the last few years that we have fought for our independence from Tasargeria. The result has been a systematic genocide of our people.” He let the word hang heavy in the auditorium. "They began using biological attacks, and only stopped when we infected their major cities, then stole their antidote. Afterwards, they used chemicals, to better effect. At the point where the Emperor died and the final ground forces were ejected from our country, we were down to merely six million survivors.
"It was at this point that we declared ourselves a sovereign nation, reaching out to the global community to assist us in our time of need. We even attempted talks with the Empress’ government, receiving feelers from several sources to the effect that she would look favorably upon peace talks.
"We were, of course, mistaken.
The smile he gave was hard. "On February Second, it was announced over public radio that our beloved country, where so many have died to ensure a place of for their children, and the children of those still oppressed, will be ‘liberated’ from the ‘rebels’ who wish only for the freedom to decide their own destiny.
“I plead with you, do not let this happen.” His voice rises, growing in earnestness. “If you value the sanctity of your own borders, if you desire to set a precedent where the strong do not devour the weaker, if you feel that the dim sparks of Liberty and Freedom are worth keeping alive…” The last was a bit risky, given some of the heavy hitters in this room. But, at least it got everything on the table early. "…then I entreat you, do NOT let this atrocity occur. We are a poor nation - our enemy outspends us a hundred to one. We have to use every scrap of resources we can, and we are not too proud to beg. I fear that our conventional weapons - especially our anti-air assets - will not be enough to stop another round of violence. We will be overrun, and slaughtered, to the last woman and child. And only you can stop this from happening.
“Thank you.”

With what looks like an obvious ache in his joints, Dr. Akapo sits down again, attempting to keep a facade of calm.

Somewhere outside the Grand Hall Main Assembly
“Can someone please tell me why we are so lost that we are very, very late?!” Louis Johs’buhr hissed at his chauffeur. The chauffeur simply shrugged nonchalantly. Louis became more and more agitated as he checked his watch.
“I think we missed the Speakers vote, assuming they are holding it to the timetable suggested,” he moaned to his PA, Donna Blackwell. Donna simply checked her phone for messages before turning back to Louis.
“I told you we should’ve left earlier!” she hissed, “You know our embassy is on the other side of town and traffic through Rilanon is a nightmare at the best of times.”
“I know. We did. If I knew that latest protest regarding the issues with that airliner shoot down incident back home would take so long, I wouldn’t have bothered speaking to the reporters about it. We wouldn’t be able to drive past that media scrum anyway.”

The car that Louis and Donna were in finally stopped.
“We are here,” the chauffeur said in a non-committal tone.
“Hal’vo hav’nar!” Louis exclaimed as he exited the car. Donna followed.

The two quickly made their way through the entrance of the building, waving their ID cards to the guards and reception as they did so. Eventually after making their way through several staircases they ended up in the Main Assembly where Louis gave a quick kiss on Donna’s cheek in farewell and took up the empty “Dannistrian Delegation” seat…