Rainard Reunion

“Some kind of proof regarding your identity,” she replied. “Or at least a passable psychiatric evaluation. But I guess that goes without saying.” She set her chart down. “Of course once you get discharged from the hospital you can do as you please. You could walk or take a cab to the Vulshainian embassy even - it’s just three blocks down that way.” She pointed to her left. “Over to the west.”

“Alright, so how do I get discharged from here? And thanks for the directions.” Anna wondered how she was going to prove her identity.

She checked her watch. “Pass your psych review and undergo a final check by our doctors to ensure you’re in good health. Anyway, I need to keep doing my rounds… if you need something, don’t hesitate to buzz.”

Anna thought. “That doesn’t seem that hard.” “Thank you. I think I need some sleep. Need to be well rested…yawn…for the psych review…” Anna dozed off to sleep. Her memory had returned, most of it that is. All she had to do now was prove it.

Anna sat there looking at the doctors and experts who were a little surprised that she had passed her psych and mental examinations with flying colors. She had been given a set of clothes, which while very nice, she missed her old naval uniform. Still, she smiled at the experts. “So, I see you’re speechless that I’m the real deal: that I am Anna Rainard a citizen of Vulshain.”

“That’s not my area of jurisdiction,” the medical doctor replied. “I simply determine overall heath.” He set down a stack of papers. “But, seeing as you are in apparent good health and good standing, you are free to leave and contact the Vulshain embassy. One final thing,” he added as he handed her a pen and pad. “We did not obtain a billing address for your extended stay.”

That part was something she hadn’t expected. “Hm…You will have to contact the Vulshainian Ambassador to Vekaiyu. I’m not sure who is in charge, but usually the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Relations and the Ministry of Defence handle such matters. Normally, the Vulshainian ambassador will pay for any charges a Vulshainian military personnel may acquire if something happens to the soldier and they are unable to pay.”

The doctor moved his glasses further down his muzzle and peeked over the lenses. “We will mail you the bill and you may deliver it to the Vulshainian Embassy if you wish.” The doctor wasn’t playing around. Departing from a strictly socialized society, many in Vekaiyu were still hesitant on just letting people walk out without paying for their stay. As the doctor waited for her response, he couldn’t think of any self-respecting institution letting anyone walk out with a discharged patient telling them to bill an embassy and not specifically them.

She nodded. “If possible, you could contact the Vulshainian Embassy. However, I would be able to take the bill to them directly. If you contact the embassy, they would probably send someone here to verify that I am who I say I am as well as to make sure the bill is paid.”

The doctor finished writing a form. “You’re being discharged from hospital grounds. We will need an address to mail you the bill. Vekaiyu’s health care has been de-socialized and is no longer free.” He sighed. “Embassies do not pay for bills. We can’t just drop a bill off at an embassy and expect them to pay for such things. We can prepare an invoice for you to have paid, but you must give us your name and address. We can’t have people defaulting on their payments.”

Anna nodded. “Alright, here we go.” She wrote her name and the address of her parents’ home, and then handed them the paper with the information on it. “And an invoice will be fine. And thank you for taking care of me.”

“Of course,” he said, simply glancing at the paper. “But it’s our duty to do that. As our motto states: for duty and sentientity. Have a good day.” He tried not to convince himself that the patient could potentially need more psychiatric evaluation.

Anna did a slight bow and thank them again as she took the invoice. She walked out of the hospital. “Finally,” she thought to herself as she headed to the Vulshainian Embassy.

“Look ma’am, I can’t let you in without proper papers,” the guard told her.

“Once again, I. Am. Anna. Rainard!”

“What’s going----Oh sweet God Almighty!” A Confederate Protection Guard who had been stationed at the Vulshainian Embassy in Vekaiyu recognized Anna Rainard, the oldest of His Majesty’s sisters. “What are you freaking waiting for!? That’s the King’s sister! Let her in now!”

The soldier was about to argue, but decided against it and let Anna in.

The CPG immediately contacted the Queen Dowager and His Majesty, King Samuil Rainard.

Anna was very happy to see her family again. “Oh it is so good to see all of you!”

All four of the Rainard Sisters embraced each other. They were wagging their tails too.

“So, where is that brother of mine, Sam? I can’t believe he’s the king now! Royalty, all of us! And little Erik has a girlfriend and he’s taking part in the Summer Olympics! My God! And a lot is happening!”

“Well, Sam went to talk with Premier Levinile and a friend of hers,” Taisyia told her older sister.

Anna smiled. “Well then point the way.”