Right to Refuse Extradition

— Begin quote from ____

Right to Refuse Extradition

A resolution to improve worldwide human and civil rights.

Category: Human Rights

Strength: Significant

Proposed by: Saint Uriel

Description: ACKNOWLEDGING that capital punishment (the death penalty, execution) is a contentious issue, with many different viewpoints

ACKNOWELDGING ALSO that situations involving international fugitives may be very diplomatically delicate

ENCOURAGING nations to resolve matters of international fugitives through discussion and diplomacy

AFFIRMING that a nation should not be forced to be a party to execution against its will

AFFIRMING ALSO that this resolution shall not affect each nation’s sovereign right to allow or ban capital punishment within its own borders

BE IT RESOLVED that UN member nations shall have the AFFIRMED RIGHT to refuse, if they so desire, extradition (deportation) of international fugitives to any UN member nation IF the extraditing nation may reasonably believe that the fugitive may face capital punishment if extradited

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that UN member nations may exercise this right without fear of military reprisal from any other UN member nation

— End quote

I dont like that Be It Further resolved… good luck making sure it doesnt happen.

Eh. Doesn’t seem awful to me.

I hate this one & i vote against it

I am against this (not a UN nation so it wouldn’t effect me) because of this:

— Begin quote from ____

BE IT RESOLVED that UN member nations shall have the AFFIRMED RIGHT to refuse, if they so desire, extradition (deportation) of international fugitives to any UN member nation IF the extraditing nation may reasonably believe that the fugitive may face capital punishment if extradited

— End quote

What is important here is the IF… This limits the right to refuse extradition to only the cases in which Capital Punishment is involved. It takes away the right to refuse for all other cases, and that is a big infringement on national sovereignty.

I see no point in a UN resolution that allows nations to Opt Out of it.
“We propose that act of slavery, mutilation of childrens genitles and war be outlawed, however your nation may opt out if you dont want to do all this”

I say Nay, unless they remove the opt out part.

I am in favour for this one