Rotten Apples

CW: This goes into the Blaskovian royal family life, it has tons of child abuse, violence and ect]

[Every post is a joint post with Norgs, my warden.]

[2001]

“You disgusting, insolent child!” The elven mother dragged her small child behind her, occasionally looking back at her youngest with a look of hatred and disgust.

“B-but m-mama!”

“I am not your mother.” She said in a spiteful tone, forcing her to go down the basement stairs. A turn of a key and the basement door was locked.

The cold basement provided no warmth and barely any lighting save the single light bulb hanging from the ceiling. The basement had no windows, no furniture, just a frozen concrete floor. Esta is still in her pjs, not at all suited for the chill in the air. She wrapped her hands around herself trying to stay warm, staying near the door for what little heat slips through the cracks. Sitting on the stairs she waits until her dad comes home to let her out. An all too familiar repeating pattern to her, though sometimes dad forgets to check the basement and goes straight to bed. Leaving her in the basement overnight. She knows asking to be let out is worthless endeavor, no point in begging to mom who seemed to wish she would just freeze to death or just be rid of her.

Esta could however hear a muffled argument coming from outside the basement, as she was about to lean in further to hear the argument clearer the doors suddenly opened. Revealing a young teenage boy with similar white hair as her. Though with a bored look on his face as he walked down the stairs mumbling under his breath with his hands in his pockets. Her mother closed the door harshly behind him.

“Hi, sis.” He said giving a lazy wave as he sat down next to her.

“Hi.” She responds flatly, her teeth chattering in the cold.

He let out a sigh and put his arm around her, pulling her into him. Trying to keep her warm. He was wearing a sweater, being used to being sent here by now and prepared beforehand every time he had an argument with their mother.

She pulled close, her tiny frame easily covered by his larger arms. She rests her head against his chest. “Why?” She asked in a quiet tone, knowing mother’s rule to keep quiet while down in her second room.

“What do you mean? Why as in why is our mother a bitch?” He whispered while raising an eyebrow at his little sister.

“N-no, why are you down here?” Her body shivers in the cold. Speaking only in a quiet tone.

“Ah. Well I just confronted on her treatment of you.” He said scratching the back of his head nervously, not wanting to say that he was originally told to just go to his room. “Aaaand I might have told her that she’d be nothing if she didn’t marry our father….”

“You shouldn’t say that… It only makes her more mad a-and you shouldn’t curse.” She pulls her brother’s arm tightly around her.

He let out a sigh. “Fine… though only about the cursing part.”

She gave a pout, puffing out her cheeks as she did so. “Mama should be happy…”

“Nah.”

“Why not? Daddy says we should always keep mama happy. Then we won’t get punished.” She looks curiously at her older brother.

He simply looks down at the ground. “Papa is lying, Esta. He does that a lot, especially about mama.”

“Why’s that?”

“I don’t know… I don’t know. But I know mama doesn’t deserve happiness, she deserves to be hanged.” He gritted his teeth as he said that.

She gives a small shove. “D-don’t say that!” She said rather too loudly, her eyes dot towards the basement door.

Steps could be heard outside the door, the pair keeping silent for a couple of minutes until who they assumed was their mother stepped away from the door. Her brother let out a sigh and looked down at Esta. “Why not? What has our mother achieved in life other than being a pest and abuser to us?”

“W-well she makes us… Well most of us breakfast sometimes.” She looks up with her cold eyes.

He rolls his eyes. “You’re not there for breakfast, so it might surprise you it’s still the maid who makes it even when she says she made it herself.”

She stays quiet for a moment. “W-well she says she loves you, Torster and dad… She can’t be all bad.”

He uses a hand to signal to the room the two of them are currently in then raises an eyebrow towards her.

“W-well at least it’s not outside or the closet anymore. S-she’s improving right?” She gives a small plea to her big brother.

“No… she is not.” He let out a sigh and hugged his sister closer. “She only stopped using the closet because our dad complained about it.”

“Why hasn’t he comp-compla. That word you used about my new room?” She looks around the blank concrete walls that made up the basement.

He simply shrugged his shoulders and shook his head. “I don’t know, I rarely talk with dad. He only talks about preparing myself for the throne and that boring stuff. My guess is that he was going to use the closet for other stuff so our mother couldn’t use it anymore.”

“You think you can ask him about putting my bed down here? When I asked mama she got upset at me and called me spoiled.”

He let out a small chuckle. “Sure. Anything for my little sis.”

She gives a joyful clap and hugs Wilan tightly. “Thank you, thank you. I hate you the least, Wilan.”

“I hate you the least as well, Esta.” He said, placing a hand on her head patting it.

[2002]
[CW: implied animal abuse; harsh language]

Esta sitting on a stool in the castle’s kitchen, having a bored expression on her face. Mom was away on a shopping trip with the rest of the family minus dad and Wilan who was doing… Something. Esta was always out of the loop when it came to family, no one told the young child much of anything. The maids always avoid her, either by her mother’s wishes or by Esta’s reputation. Despite being so young, she achieved a reputation that drew the ire of many servants.

She eyes a kitchen knife, which usually is hanging up above her reach on the knife rack. Now a large butcher’s knife sits on the counter next to the sink. She looks around, seeing no maids watching her from the shadows. A cruel smile crawled along her face, she hopped off her stool and moved over to pick the knife. She hid the knife under layers of her coat and started walking toward her father’s kennel.

The trail of blood covered steps followed Esta as she skipped back to the kitchen. She placed the blood covered knife back on the kitchen counter. Going back to stool, still drench in the red fluid.

Not long after Esta could hear the palace doors open from down stairs and hearing typical “Long live the King! Long live the motherland!” that the guards yell out as a greeting to any member of the royal family. As she heard the steps coming up the stairs she noticed that a few maids quickly walked past her, ignoring her. The maids gathered on top of the stairs giving their typical curtsy. “Welcome home, your majesty.”

“Yeah yeah.” She heard her father say, likely waving the kemonomimi maids away. As the king stopped in front of the kitchen giving a glance towards Esta.

She waved her tiny hand towards her father, the blood dripping off of her hand. “Hihi Daddy!” Stain of blood still on her face.

“Not again…” He let out an annoyed groan. “Clean her up!” He yelled towards one of the maids, who jumped in surprise, and pointed towards Esta before stamping towards the kennel following the trail of bloody footprints that Esta had left behind. The maid let out a sigh from being ordered like that, it was her first day. As she walked towards the kitchen her eyes widened in shock of seeing the completely blood soaked child.

“Hello Mrs. Maid.” Esta gives a cold smile with her dead purple eyes. The Kemonomimi maid lowered herself, helping her down from the child from the stool. Taking her by the hand and leading her to the bathroom. Tracking blood along the hallways as the pair walked.

“How did you get covered in blood?” The maid asked, not really wanting an answer to her question.

“Playing with the doggy!” Esta said in a joyful tone, deeply disturbing the maid. She started to move a little quicker with the girl in tow, not wanting to spend more time with the possibly murderous girl.

The two then heard a cough behind them and as they turned around revealed no other than Wilan wearing his royal uniform. “I am oh so sorry, let me take care of her. Go wipe up the blood, please?” He looked towards the maid, smiling charmingly towards her as he placed a hand on Esta’s shoulder.

The maid breathed a sigh of relief. “Right away your highness.” Give a half body bow before quickly letting go of the bloody elf girl’s hand. Making quick work towards the nearest cleaning closet to begin her work.

“Hello!” Esta looked up at Wilan with a fake looking smile on her face. “I played with the doggy!” She joyfully said, an underlying coldness to her words.

He simply let out a small chuckle ruffled her hair and whispered. “It was dad’s dog this time, right?”

She nodded her head, “Just like you wanted.” She reached out with her stained red hand to hold on to Wilan.

“That’s my girl!” He said proudly as he gently held her hand and the two walked into the bathroom. While in the distance one could hear their father say: “Damn it, Esta! That was Ragni!”

Esta started giggling uncontrollably, bending over laughing madly.

Wilan raises an eyebrow at Esta before shrugging his shoulders letting out a small chuckle seeing how much Esta was enjoying making things worse for their dad.

After Esta was cleaned up by her brother she was now as good as clean. At least appearance wise, she still would kill another dog if she had a chance. She was told by her big brother to stay in her room and wait until their father came to talk to her about what happened. As such she dutifully did until she heard a knock on the door.

“Esta, it 's me.” She heard the voice of her father call from behind the door.

“Hello Daddy!” Esta was sitting on her bed. Wondering why she was in her bedroom instead of her second room downstairs in the basement.

Her dad opened the door but simply stayed in the doorway, his arms crossed clearly angry yet keeping calm. “So?”

Esta tilted her head, looking curiously at her father before starting to smile again. “I’m clean! I promise.”

“I can see that.” He said pinching the bridge of his nose before letting out a sigh. “What I meant is, so why did you do it?”

“Because I was covered in blood?” She tilted her head.

“Why. Did. You. Kill. My. Dog?” He said gritting his teeth.

“What do you mean? We were playing.” She reached over on her bed to pick up a teddy bear, bring it close to her chest and squeeze it.

“It had 6 stab wounds in its chest and its organs had been ripped out.” He glared towards his daughter.

“We were playing doctor! I tried putting it back together….” She played with her teddy bear, moving the tiny arms around as if it was dancing.

“By Odin’s beard that was my favorite dog, Esta!” He yelled and hit the wall in her room in frustration before calming down again. “Tell me why could you not play with Ragni like a normal child would?”

“Daddy, are you upset?” She let go of the teddy bear letting it go back to its place on the bed. “Ragni is so booooring. He never wants to do anything fun.” She collapses onto the bed stretching out her arms.

“Yes, I am very upset, did you just grow a brain?” He said sarcastically. “Your concept of fun is very concerning, you could have played catch like a normal child would with a dog.”

“But you told me not to throw knives anymore!” She pouted, crossing her arms.

“You can throw frisbees like a normal child! Just be normal!”

“Frisbees are boooooring! They don’t even hurt when you throw them.”

“Then be boring!” Her dad put his hands in the air in frustration.

“Why? We have so many fun things to play with!”

“Just. For the next month and so, just stay in your room. Okay? Some maid will come in with your food at the typical hour and you will be tutored here. Do you understand me?”

“How is that any different from normal?” She raises her arms, copying her dad’s frustration motion but none of the emotion.

“Because you will stay here, and don’t leave. At all. If you do try to leave and cause trouble again, I am getting rid of your bed in the basement.” Her father crossed his arms raising an eyebrow to challenge her.

She took that challenge to heart, she climbed off her bed and laid down on the floor. An unspoken challenge to her father, ‘I don’t need a bed.’ She didn’t bother grabbing a blanket or a pillow either. Muttering to herself. “I will play with the maid then.”

He let out a sigh, and walked out of the door frame and back to the hall. Closing the door, he locked it with the key that he took out of the keyhole earlier. “You’re not getting out, I will be giving the key to the maid that will be giving you food and tutoring you.” He said loudly before he started walking away.

She pouted and climbed back on the bed. Wondering why her dad would be so upset at her playing with his dog. The reasoning is lost on her, well at least she has time to plan to play with the maid. Though dad got rid of all her fun toys so she has to improvise but Wilan always said she was clever.

Esta heard a knock on the door, making her wonder for a second if it was her father until she heard the voice. “It’s me, Wilan.”

Her voice picks up in a joyful tone, something she well rehearsed. “Hihi tall stick.”

“Hi, little crazy.” He said back in a chuckle. “Is the door locked?”

“Yep, for some reason dad is upset. I was just playing.” She crossed her arms.

“Tell me, why did you actually do it?” He leaned towards the door, his back against it as he kept eye out in case their father came back. “I mean, like I know you find it fun, but that’s what you say all the time.”

“I had no one to play with, the maids hide away from me and you’re always busy. The Kill joy is always boring to play with.” She scratched her arm.

“Come on, he can’t be that bad to play with…” Wilan said sarcastically before letting out a chuckle. “But you know what, I can try to convince dad to let me take some break for my duties to play with you more?”

Wilan could hear through the door that Esta was joyfully clapping. “Yes please! You’re fun to play with!”

“Anything from my favorite sister!” He said and took a step away from the door.

“But I am your only sister!” She cried as he walked away.

“Take it as me not hating you, little crazy!” He said loudly laughing as he walked a bit further away to talk with their dad.

“I don’t hate you either, tall stick!” She relaxed onto her bed, cuddling up to her teddy bear.

[2003]

Esta was sitting calmly on the couch, watching a some strange animated show from some place called Vakrestrender. Something about the show’s violent display of violence kept her eyes on the screen. She was enthralled by the combat playing out on the screen.
An older maid peered into the room, seeing the usually violent, active girl sitting calming watching the screen. She was curious, shifting her gaze away from the sociopath in waiting towards the TV. Seeing the violence unfolding on the screen, ‘Well, at least it keeps her calm.’ She thought to herself, then moved to the kitchen to get the child a snack.

She returns with a tray of various healthy snacks and a box of apple juice. Sitting in front of the child on the table. She quickly moved away, watching the situation unfold, as Esta picked up her drink and began to eat some of her snacks. All without complaint, threat of violence or asking to ‘play’ with the maid. The old maid couldn’t believe her eyes, so she returned to the doorway and simply watched the child. Unable to believe that Esta of all people could act this calmly, almost as if she was a normal child watching children’s show. Well, it might be an overly violent show made for adults but it kept Esta from being Esta. She stood there for a few moments, with several questions on her mind. One, how did Esta find the anime and two, how many seasons does the show have? Is there enough to keep her busy for a few days? Maybe the maid can find other anime or movies like this to keep Esta busy.

She was snapped out of her thoughts when she saw Esta was cheering, turning her gaze back to the TV. She saw a horrific scene of a man being stabbed to death. She couldn’t say she was surprised by Esta cheering for this, it was more than that. Esta was cheering for stabbing that the youngest royal didn’t do herself. Slightly unnerved by this knowledge but also relieved, perhaps Esta can get her violence needs through television rather than killing the Master’s dog again. She made a careful note of this to bring up to the head of the servants to inform the King.

The maid was so occupied looking at Esta being fascinated at her quiet behavior that she did not notice the teenage crown prince that had sneaked up behind her. The crown prince with only a few inches away from her fox ears whispered. “Boo”

The old fox kemonomimi was startled, jumping up in a panic and giving a yelp in shock. She quickly turned around towards Wilan and gave a bow. Her heart was still rapidly pounding as she lowered her head. “Forgive me your highness, I was simply….” How do you explain you were watching a small child who has murdered several dogs and was enthralled by her being normal for once.

The young prince snickered at scaring the old kemonomimi, doing so for a few seconds before letting himself stop. “Oh it is quite alright, I was the one who got her to watch the… anime I think it’s called?” He said scratching his chin before shrugging. “Eitherway found it online after a friend suggested it to me, she said it was very brutal so I thought Esta would like it.”

Maid looks back into the room. “I don’t think it is safe for children to watch but I never act like this. I bought her a tray of snacks and some juice. She started eating it without so much of a word spoken. Her eyes just glued to the show.” She scratched the back of her head.

“Then it worked.” Wilan said simply as he went to the fridge, opening it. “Damn it.”

“Your father has hidden the beer upstairs in his personal lounge. In the minifridge, it’s behind his stockpile of canned coffee.” The maid spoke in a hushed tone, wanting to thank Wilan for finding a way to keep Esta from being Esta.

He kept silent for a moment before simply letting out a small chuckle. “Thank you.” He said with a smile as he walked quietly upstairs.

“No thank you…” The maid quietly responds, before she returns to the kitchen to start work on dinner. Meanwhile Esta sat there calmly, drinking her juice and munching down on fruit, eyes glued to the violence on the screen.

After a few minutes Wilan was down stairs again with a can of beer in his hand and gave a nod towards the maid thanking her before walking into the living room Esta was in. He opened his can of beer to make his presence heard. Small smirk on his face as he gave a small wave to Esta when she looked towards him.

“Hi tall stick, this show is really good!” She turns around back to the TV, munching down on orange slices. Her attention was drawn back to the anime. “I like the girl with the knives.”

The crown prince took a sip of his beer as he sat down next to Esta. “I’m glad you like it, little crazy.” He said letting out a small chuckle as he looked towards the TV seeing a girl with long black hair throwing several daggers towards a soldier, one of the daggers hitting the soldier’s groin. Which Wilan couldn’t help but flinch at. “Well, she is certainly deadly.”

Esta laughed as the dagger ripped through the soldier’s groin. “I wanna try that!” She claps joyfully with her hands, resting her head against Wilan’s arm.

“I am certain you do, perhaps one day you become like her just minus the black hair.” He let out a snicker as he patted her head.

“Can’t I dye my hair? Like what mama does to hide her gray hair?” She squeezes his arm, giving him a small hug.

“You could but I think your natural hair color is the best.” He gave her forehead a kiss. “You still want to kill dogs now that you have this show?”

“I still wanna play with them but after this.” She sips on her juice box.

Wilan simply shook his head in amusement and took another sip from his beer but when he noticed who was walking down stairs he couldn’t but mumble under his breath. “Fuck.” The crown prince turned to look at the person who now walked into the room, a teenage boy holding a thick book of the Blåskovian constitution. The boy had the same white hair as the two of them and gave the pair a disappointed look. “Oh how you doing, killjoy?” Wilan simply said, smirking, taking another sip of his beer.

“You know you’re too young to drink right?”

“You know that you pointing out those things is the reason why we call you killjoy?”

“Wilan…” The younger brother began saying before being interrupted of Esta cheering another soldier being brutaly murdered by the dark haired lunatic that was on the screen. The killjoy looked in shock at the screen before letting out a small stutter. “E-Esta you should not be watching this!”

Esta turned her gaze from the TV to the Killjoy. “I will play with your dog first.” Then returned to watching the anime, munching on another orange slice.

The younger brother looked towards Wilan who simply shrugged his shoulders and took a sip from his beer.

“Look, you should be happy, Torster. I found something she likes more then murdering dogs.” The crown prince joked as he let out a small chuckle.

“She deserves therapy not… this.” Torster answered back and walked towards the table to reach towards the remote.

Esta withdrew a knife she had hidden in the couch. Looking up at Torster away from the TV screen. No signs of emotions behind her eyes, no smile or frown, not a single display of emotion on her face while holding the knife.

Wilan put his hand on Esta’s wrist gently, and looked towards Torster mouthing. ‘Let her watch it.’

The killjoy stood there completely still and carefully looked towards his older brother. ‘It’s not for children.’ He mouthed back. The crown prince simply glared at Torster making the younger brother simply let out a sigh. “Fine, you can watch it but go to bed at 8, okay?” He said looking at Esta again as he took some steps back.

Esta didn’t reply, simply put the knife back into the couch and returned to watching the anime. Taking another big sip from her juice.

“But Wilan please stop drinkin-”

“No.”

“Wilan plea-”

“I will get Esta to have Tivi’s organs be smeared on your door.” The crown prince said simply taking another sip from his beer.

Torster gave Esta a concerned glance hoping Wilan was bluffing.

Esta held no emotion, only looking at Torster with an empty expression on her face. “Your puppy always whines a lot.” Then turn her attention back to the anime. Watching the black hair woman kickflip a knife into a soldier’s face. Causing her to start clapping joyfully.

The younger prince simply let out a sigh and looked down towards the floor. “Fine… I’d be upstairs reading this if you two need anything.”

“We won-” Wilan began saying before being interrupted by his little sister.

“I want more apple juice please!” She looked at Torster with pleading eyes, a quite disturbing shift in personality. From almost stabbing him with a blank emotional slate to acting like a normal little kid who wanted more juice.

“I’ll get it…” Torster said he felt a bit tired from everything as he walked towards the kitchen and Wilan simply chuckled.