SpaceLab

Cali pressed down on the cargo release lever until it gave. The cargo bay darkened immediately, and grew bright again with a red pulsating strobe. The silhouette of the LSS module drifted away from the interior of the shuttle. Urth shone brightly in the background.

After several more minutes, Bert manages to find Sam, Samuel, and Nathan back at their quarters, chilling out on the bunks. “Goddamn it guys, I’ve been trying to find you guys everywhere on this blasted space station,” Bert angrily says to the crew. “How come you didn’t use the intercom or a radio?” Sam asks. Bert actually forgot those exists and then tells Sam to shut up and listen. “Alright guys, here’s our assignments,” Bert briefs them on their assignments. After the briefing, all of them get out of the quarters and head to their workstations, let it be checking the solar panels, helping the others acclimate to the space station, moving equipment to the storage area, etcetera.

Garia was walking to do her assignment. She had been assigned a task that even now bored her just thinking about it. Luckily it wasn’t urgent, as she had set out early in case she was lost.

As she wondered around trying to find her way using the map she was given, she accidently slammed into a person, and began moved backwards instinctively. After a moment she looked up to see who she had bumped into. With surprise she saw it was Bert.

“Oh, hi again.” She said quickly.

Bert was floating down one of the many hallways of the Spacelab on the way to the storage area, moving along with the bars on the walls looking at his tablet when he suddenly bumped into someone. “Sorry about that Garcia, I should’ve kept a better eye out, you never know what you can find in this superstructure,” smiling.

Garia chucked a little. “True. How you’ve been?” She asks.

“Busy like usual, just gave out assignments for my crew,” Bert answered. “How about you?”

“I’m doing well. I’m trying to find where I’m supposed to do my assignment, but I can’t find it. Luckily I don’t have to do it for a few hours.” She sighed. “It is quite annoying to walk for so long though.”

“You know you can float around right? Just guide yourself along and move yourself along the bars on the walls.”

“Well, that certainly helps things. What are you doing before I bumped into you?” she asked Bert.

“I was heading over to the storage area to do an inventory check, what about you?”

“I was just assigned laundry.” she said.

“Eh, you’ll get more exciting positions as you get more experience in space. Hell, you’ll might even qualify for a foreign exchange program if you work hard enough,” Bert says to her as encouragement.

Peter Murdoch floated about in the Solar Observatory module, watching the activity of the sun and analysing it through the large computer in the module. All of the recent data seemed to point towards a period of increased solar activity in the coming months, fortunately however it all seemed to be directed away from Urth and the largest solar flares thus far had missed any planets.

In the cabin next door Signund Jahren read over a large handbook dealing with the small computer inside the maintenance area of their living quarters. The small thing seemed to have fried itself and as a consequence their modern day module had been effectively converted into a 70s era one. Floating out into the main docking node he called out to the station crew. “Anyone know how to work with computers? I’m completely lost.”

As Luke was floating through the space station, he suddenly heard the communists’ cosmonauts asking from the main docking node if anyone here knows how to fix their computer system. Being a graduate from the University of Imperium with master’s degree in electrical engineering, he went over to them and said, “I know a couple things about the computer systems, where do you need help with?”

“Ah comrade!” Signund exclaimed in reply to Luke’s offer.

“Our computer system that regulates the whole module is broken, I have been into the maintenance area and I have no idea what has happened.” he explains to Luke before floating inside the well-decorated living module.

“Just here is the maintenance area comrade, the computer is in the room at the end.” Signund says as he points towards a tiny hatch that leads into a tiny crawlspace.