TEP's December Issue!

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/7555/embassyupdate2.jpg
Hey all,

I think the best scenario is doing an issue and having it done by early to mid December. It basically allows us to get relevant information out at a reasonable pace, but also opens up the possibility if we wanted to make a really small Christmas paper (though I anticipate a lot of us will be busy during the holidays, or just not wanting to work on a regional paper, lol). Here’s a suggestion of some topics:

• Intro
  • Something about our Magisterium Elections
  • A national profile of someone’s RP nation (similar to what we did with Dannistaan last issue)
  • An interview with a TEP resident
  • Some bit of humor
  • Maybe something that sums up the roleplay events that has transpired in TEP between this issue and the last one we did? (That’d be about 2 months or so)
  • Embassy info

This is by no means all-inclusive; it’s merely suggestions. I do hope we get a lot of good posts this time, much like we did last time. I was very impressed with our last issue - let’s see if lightning strikes twice!!

Please, if you want to write something for this paper, get it out in the open so we can read it! It can be anything you want, just make sure it’s in good taste, lol. Other than that, happy reporting! We’re always open to OP-ED sections too!

Let’s try to have everything finalized by December 11th. That way EM and I, your reliable regional paper boys, can distribute the issues accordingly. The 11th is a Saturday, and it’s sort of after finals (for the most part) for college students, and not too close to the holidays. So, happy writing!

I can do a summary of past active role-plays. Maybe we should make a quick poll on which nation should be featured in the national profile column. Heck, might as well make it TWO featured nations while we’re at it.

— Begin quote from ____

I can do a summary of past active role-plays. Maybe we should make a quick poll on which nation should be featured in the national profile column. Heck, might as well make it TWO featured nations while we’re at it.

— End quote

I like this idea. In the past I mostly randomly chose a nation, but doing it this way gets more people involved.

I’ll talk to EM about this.

Hey Todd! I was just wondering how the newsletter is coming along. If you need a hand, I can try to have a go at the Magisterium elections or some such thing. I don’t have a ton of experience with actual reporting, but I’m willing to give it a shot. Just let me know!

— Begin quote from ____

Hey Todd! I was just wondering how the newsletter is coming along. If you need a hand, I can try to have a go at the Magisterium elections or some such thing. I don’t have a ton of experience with actual reporting, but I’m willing to give it a shot. Just let me know!

— End quote

It’s coming along, but most definitely if you’d like to help, by all means go right ahead. We have someone who is doing the interviews, and have a nation doing an RP profile. Perhaps you could handle the Magisterium elections or come up with something a bit wintry for the paper?

Alright, folks. The tentative date I’d like this to be completed by is Friday December 17th. Here’s what we have on the table… so far:

• Vulshain’s 2 interviews
  • Yook’s potential RP synopsis
  • Shaw’s article (Magisterium elections or something wintry or something else if he desires)
  • EM’s article
  • Intro
  • Country profile by secretly contacted nation :wink:

I’d like to see some more wintry stuff in this paper too - could we have an initial report on the winter solstice events? Other holiday stuff too, like humor, poems, some kind of reader contest even would be good to have this issue! Speak here, or I just might contact you!

Thanks for the creative leeway, Todd! :slight_smile: And also for the deadline extension, I thought I would have been able to whip something together sooner, but I’ll try to get the Magisterium article done in the next couple days.

I got the interviews done. I just need to organize them. I got to do some stuff later today, but I’ll probably have it done before the day is finished.

I still need to register on some of the other regions in order to spread our paper around.

Interviews:

I interviewed two of our resident Roleplayers here. Both of them are very nice and friendly, and great to hang out with. Also, I see them as some of my best friends since I arrived here. Let me introduce Todd McCloud and Southern Yugoslavia!

Todd <font color=“green”>McCloud</font>

Me: What got you interested in roleplaying?

Todd: Probably the uniqueness of it. Initially I thought it was a little weird, but I was not aware of how intricate and exciting the extent of roleplaying one’s own characters and nations with other people, and playing out their plots and ideas in addition to my own. It’s quite fun, really. I recommend it to anyone.

Me: You put a lot of time and effort into the histories and backgrounds of your nation and characters. What was your reason of putting so much effort into designing your nation and characters? Would you recommend this approach to roleplaying to others?

Todd: I like history, personally. Applying history to my nations simply fulfills that like for me with respect to my nation. As far as backstories, they can be both beneficial and hindering. A little bit of backstory is okay, but too much or too heavy of a reliance on it can be stifling to other roleplayers. In the same breath, backstories can help other roleplayers get a glimpse of just what character or nation they are dealing with. So, I recommend a healthy balance, personally.

Me: How long have you been roleplaying? You don’t have to be specific. (Laughs)

Todd: About 2-2.5 years now. Off and on in between.

Me: You were just elected as one of the new Magisters. Congrats and welcome to the Magisterium. Now, what other positions in TEP’s government have you performed while a citizen of the East Pacific?

Todd: Well, I was the delegate of the region for one year, starting in 2009. After that, I became an arbiter and served there for a while as a judge in the region. I now do regional map updates and help in the magisterium.

Me: What were some of your responsibilities as arbiter, so that those who are interested in becoming an arbiter will have a good idea on what they have to do?

Todd: Essentially, I helped write the standing orders and ruled / debated on particular issues that were brought up in the conclave. Arbiters are selected, however. They should have a sense of what we do in The East Pacific in addition to having a level head. One of the things I tried to push when I was arbiter was to have people voice their opinions and not be afraid to go against the majority if they feel they need to. Great minds don’t think alike. They think for themselves.

Me: A lot of your characters are either athletes or interested in sports. Does this mean that you are into sports as well?

Todd: I was at a time. I played lacrosse in grade school. But aside from that I just simply like to stay healthy and exercise. I can’t sit in front of a computer all day. My brains turn to oatmeal. (Laughs) Of course, I’m not a health nut. But I guess I’d say I try to shake things up a bit.

Me: (Laughs) That is a good idea. It’s not healthy to be a couch PAX FRUIT. Here’s my next question: How did you get involved with TEP’s newspaper?

Todd: I don’t really remember off hand. I think it was because when I changed the embassies on TEP’s forums such that every region got their own sub-forum instead of just a thread. Doing that took a while, but the end product looked nice. I figured maybe it would be good to re-start our newspaper. We were all gung-ho for it, and the first issue was a success. I like newspapers that are big and have a wide variety of contributions from other players in the region. One person explaining what a region’s doing just seems a bit one-dimensional.

Me: When you’re not roleplaying or working, what do you do for fun in your spare time? This also includes when you’re not working on your Nationstates Wiki.

Todd: Do you mean on NS or apart from NS?

Me: Apart from NS.

Todd: I have a group of friends I typically spend time with. I also like to go places during the evening and socialize with people.

Me: Okay, let’s go back to that same question, but this time, what do you do when you’re on NS?

Todd: Many things, (Laughs). Though nowadays I’m mostly just in TEP having fun there.

Me: A few weeks ago, I was reading an article in a roleplaying magazine that talked about a rise in godmodders. The article went to say that the vast majority of these godmodders aren’t doing it intentionally, but are simply doing it by accident as they are newcomers to roleplaying. My question is this: do you any tips, advice, warnings, and suggestions to newcomers to roleplaying on how they can avoid godmodding?

Todd: Just don’t make your nation too awesome. Try and have a balance between flaws and strengths. Don’t have “end-all” tech where no one can really stand up against you. Respect players with their RP histories, and don’t be afraid to make your nation lose. A loss that is roleplayed well is a win for the roleplayer himself or herself.

Southern <font color=“red”>Yugoslavia</font>

Me: What got you interested in roleplaying?

Southern Yugoslavia (SY): Towards nation roleplay?

Me: Yes.

SY: Probably just being able to have the power to control your own nation, and react to world events created by others in your world.

Me: You put a lot of time and effort into the histories and backgrounds of your nation and characters. What was your reason of putting so much effort into designing your nation and characters? Would you recommend this approach to roleplaying to others?

SY: I like just knowing what happened prior to current event, and what could have caused it along the timeline. It probably partly because I’m a history buff. And by approach do you mean creating histories of the nation and characters, or nation roleplay?

Me: That is correct.

SY: If you’re someone that’s into political/nation simulators, then yes, I would reccommend them creating a nation and finding a home to roleplay in to allow their nation to grow and flourish.

Me: How long have you been roleplaying? You don’t have to be specific (Laughs).

SY: Hmm… Well I’ve had Southern Yugoslavia for a little more than a year. I would probably say ten to eleven months on the Nationstates forums. Here at the East Pacific however, I’d say probably five months.

Me: In your free time, when you’re not roleplaying or working, or doing schoolwork, what do you like to do?

SY: Well I typical enjoy running, playing some video games (who doesn’t?), hanging out with some of my friends or watching movies.

Me: What advice or suggestions would you give to people who are just starting nation roleplaying? For example, how would you advise them in order for them from accidentally godmodding?

SY: Do your research. Pick a country that has roughly the same population as you. Check their economy and military. You can’t have a nation with seven million people, then try to say your economy is as large as the United States or China.

Me: Excellent advice.

SY: Thank you. And if you can’t seem to find a nation with the same population as you, then it’s okay to go up or down a few million.

I want to thank both Todd and SY for allowing me to interview them. That were very friendly and we had a lot of fun doing these interviews.

Late November marked the beginning of TEPs fourth quarter, which means a new batch of victi- er, I mean, volunteers came forward to be elected into our Magisterium. All joking aside, this is one tough job. Thankfully we have what looks to be a great group of people who stepped up to answer the call.

This past Magisterium election was full of vibrant discussion as to what each person wanted to help TEP with during their term. Of the eight who were nominated, seven were elected. Since then one of our Magisters has had to resign, leaving us with six strong minded, capable individuals who got right at the busy job they had ahead of them.

The Magisterium is the legislature of The East Pacific. They are tasked with creating, proposing, debating on, and passing bills and laws to make our region run smoothly and fairly for everyone. It is because of these individuals that we have laws like our http://z1.invisionfree.com/forums/The_East_Pacific/index.php?showtopic=6879 and our http://z1.invisionfree.com/forums/The_East_Pacific/index.php?showtopic=6875. Speaking of which, one recent debate of interest was the consideration of the new Nationstates Century Theme, and what impact it would have on TEPs RMB Advertisement regulations. The Magisterium has also been going over Rights of Residents, and Ambassador masks for our Forums.

Although it may not always be the most glamorous job, we are indebted to the six Magisters currently serving our region. The position really is the crux of our government, and it takes a keen eye for not only looking at how to keep our region running, but also how to alter and improve laws in our ever changing world. So stop by, if you can, and say hi to the people who keep TEP going as one of the most vibrant, active communities in Nationstates.

There ya go, Todd. Please feel free to edit it for length/content/whatever, I decided I just had to get it done and banged it out before I let myself get distracted with cursed flash games. :stuck_out_tongue: Therefor, I did not do my customary comb-over for grammar and flow and whatnot. Take it or leave it, I hope will suffice!

Excellent work you two! Very, very good work, and thank you for providing good articles to the newspaper this time around!

Also, take a look - I animated the Embassy Update for the X-mas theme!

Pretty cool actually! Nice work todd.

Whoa, nicely done Todd! Animating something is like pure magic to me, I have no clue how to do something like that.

I’m going to see if I can get together another little something to throw in the paper, but don’t stop the presses for me. Unfortunately, unlike some writers I know, I don’t have an on/off switch for creativity and am feeling somewhat uninspired of late. So we’ll see how it goes.

— Begin quote from ____

Also, take a look - I animated the Embassy Update for the X-mas theme!

— End quote

I love it! Very festive.

Todd, it’s awesome!

Good news is that I have time tomorrow [later] today to do my lil part then I guess we will be good to go and it can start to get passed out.

— Begin quote from ____

Good news is that I have time tomorrow [later] today to do my lil part then I guess we will be good to go and it can start to get passed out.

— End quote

I will do my part too. We are also holding up a little for the national profile part, but it’s fine.

— Begin quote from ____

Call all Foreign Dignitaries…get yo gift!

Are you the ambassador to TEP?

Hate that you can’t get edit your post or control your embassy?

That is all changing!

Next time you drop by the forum just contact me [East Malaysia] or post in my office located in the http://z1.invisionfree.com/forums/The_East_Pacific/index.php?showtopic=8091.

I’ll be rolling out the mask and granting embassy permission no later than first of the year (and before if anyone drops by) but you have to request it!

~EM.

— End quote

Sorry for the delay, Todd asked me to provide a quick synopsis of my nation/s so, here it is…

— Begin quote from ____

The Elafos Coalition was formed in the year 1066AD and is comprised of the city states, Aetria, Aquitania, Lycia, Nocteia, Tyr’asu, Valeria and Vylade. Originally immigrants, the ethnic group which now resides widely across the North Western corner of The East Pacific began to arrive in late 900BC. Their origin is ultimately unknown, although academics have suggested several areas outside of The East Pacific, there is no concrete evidence to validate any such theories. Ancient texts generally refer to some unknown force, believed to be an opposing nation, which forced the Elafosians out of their home and across the sea. While the Elafos Coalition contains the largest concentration of people that actively identify themselves as “Elafosian”, such groups are spread throughout several islands within the Jeneras (all of which maintain close ties with the Coalition) and the neighbouring Iskios Federation. The Iskios Federation, long time rivals of the Coalition, is made up of the states Askia, Gallecia, Illyricium, Merhenia, Ormark and Skatos. Gallecia, Merhenia and Ormark predate the arrival of the “Elafosians”, once being formidable nations in their own right. After a prolonged war with the Coalition spanning over a century (1100-1300AD, roughly), they found themselves defeated but allied with three dissenting Elafosian states, Askia, Illyricium and Skatos. In modern terms, tensions between Elafos and Iskios led to a war, still ongoing, which saw Askia, Illyricium and Skatos rejoin the Coalition.

While not considered a “super power” on a regional scale, the Coalition is by no means weak. Elafos usually prefers a “hands off” approach to regional politics, although it often sees itself as an enforcer of the North West, along with its close ally Warre.

— End quote

Hope it’s alright!