The Cloning Conventions

As of 1920, this resolution needs 2 more approvals. I will open this thread when this resolution is up for vote.

The General Assembly,

Defines a clone for any organism as a genetically identical or a genetically altered, artificially produced copy of a single naturally born individual, the originator;

Defines organ cloning as artificially creating a genetically identical or a genetically altered organ from an originator’s genetic information;

Excludes, for the purposes of this resolution, any artificially produced but genetically identical or genetically altered copy of any originator that can asexually reproduce for the intentions of having offspring, the naturally reproduced descendant of an originator, due to an inability to realistically naturally reproduce asexually or sexually, from being defined as a clone, and defines them as an offspring instead;

Grants all clones the same rights as their originator’s species, regardless of any disabilities resulting from a failed cloning;

Restricts all cloning to only be done by qualified biomedical personnel, or qualified veterinary personnel in collaboration with qualified biomedical personnel;

Restricts the cloning of sapient organisms only to originators who fully consent to being cloned;

Permits the cloning of unconscious, unfeeling organisms from sapient originators, where the clones themselves do not have any sapience and have been proven to not be in locked-in syndrome, for biomedical experimentation and use;

Bans the cloning of conscious, feeling organisms from sapient originators for biomedical experimentation and use, and of any cloning of any sapient originator if the medical professionals who clone cannot reliably confirm, with a high degree of confidence, that the clone is not suffering from locked-in syndrome or any related disability;

Reserves for all sapient clones the right to know the origin of their genetic material at their national legal age of consent;

Allows the cloning of any organism that is not sapient;

Authorizes and actively encourages nations to share cloning technology;

Reserves for all WA member-states the right to legislate on the legal methods of cloning as laid out by this resolution and on anything regarding organ cloning;

Assigns the World Assembly Scientific Programme the duties of overlooking cloning for biomedical research and use to ensure their accordance with this resolution and the promotion of the sharing of cloning technology.

Sorry. There’s no preamble, which doesn’t provide me a reason for me why it should be international legislation, nor does it tell me why it should be implemented.

Nor can you really tell if an organism is conscious or not.

So as is, I’m afraid I’m AGAINST. I hope that it can be rewritten.

Despite casting an early vote For because I see a TEPer wrote it

Against

It can stand to have improvements. I will support La Navasse’s new draft.

Reasons: NationStates • View topic - [Defeated; Redrafting] The Cloning Conventions

Bai Lung will vote AGAINST.

To mimic the position offered by the delegate, the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs supports a vote against the proposal.

(Personally, I will be voting against as well.)

“The Cloning Conventions” was defeated 14,442 votes to 4,092.