Vilines Charity Commemoration

Lord Jeymz and Lady Maricela made their way over to the donation box by the stage, gracefully threading their way through the other guests.

“Hopefully these donations will help the Listonian people,” Maricela quietly said to her husband.

“Yes, we can only hope that,” Jeymz paused, “even though my Father’s donations should be very helpful in that regard.”

“He still did not tell you how much?” she questioned.

“No,” he shook his head slightly, “Father said ‘It should be more than sufficient’.” Smiling at his wife, he continued, “it is substantial is all I really know.”

With that said, he placed all three donation envelopes in through the slot on the box.

[spoiler]Charity Admission Donation for Lord and Lady Drachenberg along with their entourage.

(Six SD Bodyguards discreetly mingling in the room keeping close to their respective person they are watching, with their well trained eyes open for trouble.)

*** Certified Vekaiyu Union check for V100,000.oo Veskonos ***

[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Charity Donation From Evander Drachenberg and the Children of Dragonia.

— Begin quote from ____

To:
Premier Levinile
Vekaiyu Union

Madam Premier,

My son Evander heard about the Vilines Charity Commemoration and asked why there was a need for this event, I explained to him as best I could on the tragedy that happened in Vilines, Listonia on the Fifth of November of last year. Afterwards my six year old son, thought and pondered, looked at me, thought and pondered once again. One could see in his eyes he was think furiously with his little six year old mind. It would have been funny watching his expression if not for the seriousness of the reason why. He suddenly had an ‘ah-ha’ moment and took off to his room with a shouted “I know what to do.”

Shortly thereafter I started to receive phone calls from my son’s friends parents, asking how they could help their children. Suffice it to say, within seven days, my son, his friends and their parents where able to raise close to an equivalent of V15,750.oo Veskonos.

Seeing this effort in this short of time made myself and my husband Seumas so proud of Evander. My husband and I decided to match the amount that was raised. My sister-in-law, Sophia heard what her nephew was doing and also matched the amount as well. There where a few last minute donations also, thus resulting in the amount of the enclosed check.

My son asked that this money would go to the children of Vilines. What he said brought tears to my eyes, looking at me with the seriousness of a young child, he said: “The children should not have to do without because of the evil that was done to them.”

With regards,

Lady Kiera Drachenberg nee Callaghan

— End quote

*** Certified Vekaiyu Union check for V50,550.oo Veskonos ***

[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Charity Donation from Grand Duke Jeymian Drachenberg III.

— Begin quote from ____

To:
Premier Levinile
Vekaiyu Union

Madam Premier,

We hope that the enclosed check for this event is sufficient to help out the Listonian peoples in Vilines.

May The First Vilines Charity Commemoration be very fruitful in it’s endeavors to raise enough funds.

Regards,

Jeymian Drachenberg III
Grand Duke of Dragonia

— End quote

*** Certified Vekaiyu Union check for V2,500,000.oo Veskonos ***

[/spoiler]
They then preceded to walk over to where the silent auction was to take place, to see what there was on display.

Premier Ikrisia Levinile walked in-step with Yensey Nekuslovi toward the bar. Ikrisia maintained solid rapport while Yensey seemed used to mingling with those who most likely outranked a plastics man from Provinsk. When they reached the bar, he waited a bit for his turn, then, when the bartender reached him, he beamed a smile. “Two Isloviums… neat… er, splash of cloves and however the Premier would like it.”

“Top-heavy,” she remarked.

“Top-heavy.” He leaned in closer to the bar, but noticed he was encroaching on someone sitting at the bar. When he noticed who it was, he nearly lost his cool as he coughed slightly.

“Eh?” Evesuni grimaced as he turned around. He looked him over, up and down, then looked over at Ikrisia, then back to him. “Who the hell are you?”

“The buyer for your next drink, of course.” He smiled.

Evesuni glared at him, then shrugged. “Alright. Ye’lelian. Top shelf only. Top-heavy. Make it snappy.”

“Of course!” He repeated the words back to the barkeep, who nodded and beckoned for a card. After handing over his card, he turned to the Premier. “So, come here often?”

“Me?” Ikrisia asked. “Once or twice. I don’t have many opportunities such as this. Most of the time I am… well, delegating and leading and the likes. Establishing policies, meetings, promoting cohesion among various groups and organizations. The likes.”

He scoffed. “Heh. And everything else is secondary? And sleep, tertiary?”

“You could say that.” She waited until he handed her drink to her. “Unfortunately I do not have much time for other activities.”

“But when you do have the time, you take advantage of it, right? I do know you like to dive. And I do have your card from when you were on Eldura University’s underwater hockey team.”

She smirked. “I remember taking that picture, actually.”

“Yeah, same.”

“Oh? You played?”

“Backup goalie for Provinsk Technologies and Arts.” He took a sip of his drink. “Of course, my card isn’t worth anything despite being from a pretty lucrative set. Your card goes for 20 veskonos in mint condition, if I remember correctly. Not bad.”

“I spent more time on the bleachers than in the water,” she admitted. “I only played two years and there were a lot of upper class people ahead of me. I then had to go to Shiro, but they did not have a team, so I was unable to pursue that any further.”

“I did it for the credit mostly. I doubt we ever played together, but maybe we overlapped a little bit.”

“What was your graduating year?”

“Which degree?”

“The degree in which you played.”

“Oh… 2003.”

She shrugged. “It’s possible we overlapped then. Well, K…”

“Kivio. Unmarried.”

“…Kivio Nekuslovi, it has certainly been interesting conversing with you, but many guests require my attention and, you know how it is. I assume industry does not merit much time for formalities. I know my position does not.”

He raised his eyebrows. “With all due respect, I must disagree, Premier Levinile. Our positions thrive on such interactions. And we, being vulpine individuals, thrive on interactions as well. I plan on seeing the exhibits in the silent auction before taking my seat. If you care to join me, I would certainly welcome your company. If not, then I do hope our paths cross again tonight.”

“Of course,” she said as she nodded. “It has been nice meeting you, Nekuslovi.”

A small crowd gathered around the Vekaiyun Minister of the Interior, Vanse Iliskalu, as he stood in front of one of the articles available during the silent auction. Viewed by many as the second in command of the Vekaiyun nation, the vulpine male sported a suit of white with black accents and a black dress shirt outlined by a white tie. Even his shoes were polished and white. What exactly was the symbolism - to match the dress of the Premier? To show that the Vekaiyun nation was pure in its true form and intentions? Perhaps he felt he looked good in white? It was difficult to tell.

“Ladies and gentlemen, the Vekaiyun Union and the people of Vilines thank you for your interest in the various wares available to the highest bidder.” He paused as he spotted Premier Ikrisia Levinile among the crowd. “First, let us thank the individual most responsible for this night - Premier Levinile. May her reign as Vekaiyun Premier continue to be fruitful and extend the Vekaiyun traits of peace and goodwill among all nations of Urth, now and forever more.”

He waited for the applause to subside, especially as the Premier did not look like she wanted attention diverted to her. “Thank you. Yes, there are indeed many priceless works here, but allow me to draw your attention to a select few. Your programs have little blurbs about each work, so do consult that as well as you make your bids. First, we have a rather invigorating piece by Elana Eslikavi entitled (in Codexian) “An Eruption of Decadance”. Note the strong undertones of this piece that demonstrate artistic mastery. This is but one of dozens of masterpieces by this Vekaiyun-born artist who chose to spend the last of her days in southern Listonia in order to draw inspiration from the wild terrain that is the Burdek Lowlands.”

He walked on as the crowd followed him. “Next we have an abstract painting by world famous Seri Inloslove entitled “Snail Dreams”. A rather beautiful painting, don’t you think? I personally like the blend of colors, but the artistic scholars have asked me to add a bit of input from their critiques. Indeed, the blend of colors ‘hurl you into a world that is most becoming of a creature that is most small, aspiring to become something greater, perhaps a bird, or a bat’. Whatever the case, I hope you will join me in affirming that this piece is indeed something to marvel.”

“Behold,” he said as he continued on, moving past a few pieces. “The war mask of Yentelsuvi - an honored general during the Era of Good Feelings, a period of Vekaiyun history marked by prosperity and growth. This is just one of several war masks preserved via plaster of Paris and then re-produced via the constructed mold. This is what the mask looked like circa AD 867. Note the fierce appearance, the gleaming white teeth of jaku wood, the eyeholes surrounded by moonstone as tribute to the death mask of St. Aiya, and the various religious symbols as protection from opponents that no doubt served him well in battle. The mask - which weighs approximately 3 kilograms - would have served him well in battle, and the etched scars prove it.”

“Moving on, we have an oil painting by Severi II, the previous Pope to the Vayan Catholic faith. This was painted toward the twilight of his life, when he enjoyed the various fauna in his own private garden in his estate in Eldura. The vibrant greens and warm colors are sure to brighten even the darkest of hallows. Right next to this work is a… most revered artifact. Please be careful with this, and I must stress serious bidders should only apply. It’s a vial, yes, bedecked in silver with Vayan holy symbols, sure. But inside is the blood of Max Venavle, the former dictator of Vekaiyu. Yes, I know, it was rumored that these artifacts were long gone, but this has been preserved for quite some time, and a case has recently been found.”

He shifted his eyes nervously. “Much to the dismay of yours truly, this item is for sale. I personally would advise against submitting a bid, but to each their own. Those who do win this item must sign a release stating they will not provide this blood for use in dark magic.” He sighed. “Yes, we are a deeply religious nation, but we also are cognizant of occult practices. We strongly advise against using this item for amoral purposes, and therefore a release form must accompany this item. The vial is surrounded by Holy Water. Please be advised that this item must remain for viewing purposes only.”

Miss Yutani listened to the Vulpine make his speech, each word flowing from his maw that met her ears. Listening intently, she was sorely disappointed by the lots up for auction. The first two lots were gimmicks in her mind. Anyone could buy a Eslikavi and hang it at their home. The abstract painting to her looks nothing more than a child throwing paint at a canvas and calling it art. An “Immature style for immature people, with too much money on their hands,” she called it regarding modern art.

Despite her role at Wey-Yu Industries as Co-Founder, she headed the R&D department. On Wey-Yu’s darker side, she was in charge of fabrication of fake arts and staging replicas as the original, a career long held by the Lupine even before the co-founded of her company. Something that Wey-Yu has also made a fortune on the black market. She had tastes, as snobby as they may be. Trying her best not to roll her eyes at the next lot, she looked around the room as the announcer spoke of the replica. “What buffoon would pay for a replica?” she asked herself mentally.

Then, her interest was piqued by the Severi II work. It looked exquisite, it looked personal even. In Miss Yutani’s mind, the painting gave the impression that the pope poured his heart and soul into it. It was even possible that it was Severi II’s most prized artwork. Into her program, she put a bid at 100k Veskonos, just 20k ahead of the starting bid. She adored it.

However, it wasn’t until the announcement of the strange artifact did her ears perk and her eyes shot open. Quickly suppressing her amazement, she proceeded to bid 900k Veskonos on the vial. She no longer cared about funds, she was bringing home a extremely prized item to the company for research. Hopefully tripling the starting bid would shut out any potential competitors, she was even willing to sell a few of her items and dip into the company’s coffers for such an item.

Both the Lord and Lady of Dragonia looked over the items on display. Glancing down at the programs small description of each as the Vekaiyun Minister of the Interior spoke of each.

Turning to her husband, “Do you think Lillian would like the war mask? I know she likes collecting items like that.” Maricela asked.

“Yes, I think so, Aunt Lillian has weird eclectic tastes, go ahead a put a bid on it,” Jeymz began. “If we get it, we get it,” he shrugged.

“What a lovely painting,” Maricela said, “it should be in a museum for everybody to see.”

“I quite agree, my love, go ahead and put a bid on it, be generous,” Jeymz told his wife. “This one might be highly bid on by others,” he continued.

“By the Goddess, are they insane!?!” she thought in outrage, when they announced the vial of blood.

Lord Jeymz stiffened slightly and his eyes narrowed, thinking furiously, “Do they not know what unscrupulous people can do with that blood?” Taking a deep breath and slowly letting it out, calming down a little, “The things that could be done with that blood and genetic research,” he continued to think to himself.

Nodding his head as he made a decision, he gently took the program and pen out of his wife’s hands. He wrote down a bid for the silver bedecked vial of blood.

“Come my love, lets find out where we turn these in, we spent more than enough,” Jeymz told his wife.

Lady Maricela just nodded, still to outraged to speak yet.

They slowly worked their way over to Minister Iliskalu.

The military entourage of the Dwarven king were explaining why these items were important to King Lemmiwinks. Unlike them, he was not of noble birth, and won the competition to be king by a fluke.

On the paintings, he had seen them in the royal palace, but never payed them much attention. He was quite the fan of the war marks though. His advisors explaining why bidding on replicas would be a waste of money.

When it came to the vial of blood, even they could not explain why it brought a wave of gasps and awe from the crowd. They knew this Max was an important figure in the past of the Union, but had no idea why anyone would want a vial of his blood.

Lemmiwinks put in bids for the masks, despite advice otherwise. He thought the designs would make a great way to distinguish officers and platoons when in the heat of battle.

Elena and Ivan were delivering the checks from several non-profits to the donation box while Yuliya and Alexi looked over the auction items. They followed along with the minister in their pamphlets as he described them.

“These are all quite interesting artifacts.” Alexi muttered, walking down the display next to Yuliya. She was quite fond of the artwork, examining it closely. She was an artist herself, although she would admit she wasn’t very good yet. That didn’t stop her from trying - whenever she had time, of course. Running for president is quite a task. “Dear, what do you think of this,” she asked, motioning to the painting by Elana Eslikavi. “It would go well in the den, don’t you agree?”

Alexi rolled his eyes and chuckled, handing his wife a pen. “Go ahead, I agree with you. Let’s bid.”

Yuliya took the pen and marked down a bid for the painting. “Though I think it might look better in the dining room, yeah?” Alexi uttered, starting to walk with Yuliya again who responded with a little nod of agreement.

The couple’s ears perked up when the blood was mentioned, quite surprised to hear something like that was even for sale. Though concerned over its use, they were not prepared to place a bid on it.

Ikrisia looked the vial over. She didn’t remember approving of such an artifact, but her emotions on the subject were quite complex. While she was aware various shamans across Urth would perceive it as something of power, she didn’t believe it to be so. Instead, it was merely an essence made into a spectacle. And that, as far as she was concerned, fitted Max well, who should remain a spectacle to be laughed at and ridiculed. To her, Venavle represented a darker time, something to be remembered, but largely labeled as past history. This no longer applied to present-day Vekaiyu.

She looked over to Vanse Iliskalu, who arched an eyebrow and rocked on his heels. Apparently he knew more than he was leading on, but she wasn’t too alarmed. She could trust him, though he would need to be reminded of his position for good measure.

In the distance, however, Frankyo Korosir remained fixated on the item, along with Yiskelo Busaveri, two Listonians who knew quite well of the promises of Max. They simply could not believe individuals were awestruck over the blood of a liar. Korosir began stepping through the crowd slowly.

After a time, the crowds were moved from the front entrance, bar, and silent auction areas to the Grand Ballroom. Guests and honorees moved to claim their seats, noticing various trinkets provided as free gifts to those who attended. Women were provided ear rings or a bracelet featuring the Vekaiyun Star - the gold and black colored with gold and onyx, while men were provided lapel pins or cufflinks of the same star. All gifts were presented in a small barrel provided by Yeskoverium Wineries, which commissioned such small barrels in order to provide a strong jaku wood nose to their wine. The barrels were cut down the middle lengthwise and were slightly larger than one’s hand. Staff members went around the tables to continue with drink orders and note which members started with the soup or the salad.

Ikrisia moved to the front of the room and stepped up to the stage as the music slowly stopped. She smiled and waited for the crowds to stand in front of their seats, as was customary for a Vekaiyun banquet. "Good evening, everyone. I welcome you to The First Vilines Charity Commemoration, an event that attempts to raise funds and awareness to those who were victimized by terrorist attacks worldwide. While we do place significance on the heinous attacks on Vilines, be advised tonight’s event focuses all terrorist attacks that befell us as citizens of Urth over the past year.

"Our ultimate goal is to help those in need, which we do in order to provide, care, nurture, heal, and inspire. It is honorable and good to aid those in need, and we as children of the Almighty, the keepers of Urth, are called to be selfless, especially those of us who are able to give much. It is as Saint Aiya once said, ‘to give is to unchain the soul, to free it from the wills of the flesh.’ Friends, these attacks we experienced were terrible and evil. But good can come of it. Tonight is just another chapter in good works, fighting back against and overcoming evil. Tonight we continue this fight, and honor those who fought hard in the midst of such darkness - our honorees.

Ikrisia raised her glass. “Now, let us raise our glasses in a toast - a toast to the honorees, a toast to philanthropy, and a toast to our continued fight against suffering.” She smiled and watched as individuals began taking their seats. Once everyone began sitting, she stepped off the stage and looked to find a seat.

((OOC: there’s no assigned seats. If you’d like to sit next to someone or at their table, just include them in your post. First come first serve!))

Miss Yutani raised her glass, not out of personal vested interest, but more of everyone doing the same. After bringing the flute down and downing it, she entered another bid on the vial. More than doubling the original bid at 2 million Veskonos. The Vulpine excused herself quietly as to make a call.

Once out of earshot of any potential evesdroppers, the cell phone was out and a call was made. She whispered into it, “Verne, prep the delivery. I have something of very important value, and I fear some might intervene.”

A gruff tone responded, “Copy, Rules of Engagement?”

“None. I want the package sent without any delays. If there is any, make them disappear.”

“Copy that. Send the call when ready. We will pick up.”

A whirlwind of attendees required her attention almost immediately. Vanse Iliskalu, the Minister of the Interior for Vekaiyu, was nice enough to offer her a drink, which she of course declined. Leina Kivlevov wanted assurance that Vekaiyu was pledged to ward off any potential insurgency in Dveria. Lso Yiskevi, on the other hand, wondered if the rumors of Sevropians in Elphana were true. Really? During a charity commemoration? But that paled in comparison to several legislatures vouching for her time, no doubt concerned over their re-election bids during the summer and possibly seeking air time with the Premier, especially as cameras flashed when they spoke with her.

When she found a seat, she wondered exactly what was prioritized among the people in the room. Was this really a function to honor humility and focus on those less fortunate? Or was it just a momentary opportunity to bid for her time and position themselves on a quickly-confusing game of politics, reminiscent of a game of chess?

“Premier Levinile,” a familiar voice remarked. She looked down next to her and noticed Yensey Nekuslovi, sitting in a seat next to one she chose. “How nice of you to find an open seat.”

She flashed a painted smile. “Of course,” she replied. “Do not mistake my selection for preference, however.”

“Ah. Well, I suppose this seat next to me will remain unclaimed.”

Ikrisia bit her lip, but was able to nonchalantly play off her previous comment. “Nonsense.” She moved to pull her seat back, but noticed the gentleman next to her had already done it. “You are most kind,” she replied without emotion, and waited for him to push the seat in.

Servers began serving appetizers and small portions prior to the main course. A special type of noodle salad - kikale - was making its rounds to all tables in small portions as to not spoil dinners.

“Premier Levinile,” Nekuslovi added, fixing his gaze in the same spaced-out general direction as her. “Are you thinking about those in Vilines? You seem distraught.”

“Oh, indeed,” she replied.

“Regardless of who attends, or for what reason, at least everyone here is donating to this cause.”

She smiled slightly. “This is not your first commemoration?”

“Actually, it is. I normally don’t have time for such things, what with work and life getting in the way. But when something like this comes up, I make it a point to attend.”

Miss Yutani didn’t care much for food and didn’t want to spoiler her one-of-a-kind dress. Instead ordering a glass of water as she waited. Seated at a table, the female lupine waited until her conversation partner showed. A rather well built man in his pin-stripe suit sat across from Kelly, surprising her at how much his facial appearance changed from before. She asked, “Not only did you dress sharp, but also look downright handsome.”
(For a reference, Beck looks like this http://media.giphy.com/media/eZuZHWNoyzmXm/giphy.gif
)

The recent product of facial surgery replied nonchalantly while overlooking the surroundings, “Thanks, hurt though.”

“Bodily Reinforcing tends to do that. We had your bones, joints, cartilage, tendons, you name it done.”

“Nice to know that my bones might survive, but my organs won’t. How goes the bidding?” asked Beck.

“Slowly, wish they made it go along faster. The vial is too much of an item of focus to stall around with.”

“I can see that,” Beck said calmly. He never liked dealing with such items of frivolity. Even the vial of blood made him flabbergasted at how far people are willing to reach just to obtain it. Despite that, his job was his job, and his boss in front of him wanted it. He continued, “You met with the dwarf king?”

“Yes, good thing that our relationship still continues. Arms, supplies, and whatnot. I am most curious about their enigmatic foe though. It’s steeped in folklore, would love to get a few live subjects for research in our Bio-Weapons department. But,” she paused for a second. Her lips curled into a grin, indicating that she knew Beck was here for other reasons, “Val sent you on a little quest didn’t he.”

Not wanted to be involved in any drama by lying, he admitted, “Yes. I’m on a treasure hunting quest for Mr. Saar’bac, Miss Yutani.”

“Do tell,” she smirked.

“It’s something regarding the Careinians. I’m in country to get in contact with a few friends. The Vekaiyun government have vital areas closed off and maintain a strong influence on scholars who have relevant information or work on the projects. It’s obvious they have information that they don’t want the public to know. Regardless, several locations of interest were found. Hard part would be getting there, not because of the Vekaiyuns, but because of the Pax.”

Miss Yutani’s ears perked at the final word. The Pax were not to be trifled with, having been the rest of the world’s bogeyman for years. Children would be scared into behaving or else be ‘assimilated’.

“However, Allegheny has a few spots of interest worth investigating. So we are network building there in the meantime. Our R&D is in the middle of making the means of being undetected by the Pax possible when we send a team to check any ruins and bring back relevant info.”

Ikrisia took to listening to others as individuals ate their kikale. Everyone seemed to be speaking about the blood of Max Venavle. While she had to admit it was a good show and definitely would be raising funds for a worthy cause, the fascination others had for it was off-putting. Even Vekaiyuns had joined in what was becoming a strong bidding war. It was more interesting than she ever thought it would be. Perhaps she was missing something?

When Vanse Iliskalu passed by her table, she beckoned him.

“Yes, milady?”

“What exactly is that vial in the auction? It seems everyone is talking about it. It may be detracting from the purpose of this auction.”

He smiled. “It has raked in a large sum, milady.” He paused and knelt down to her level in order to speak to her in secrecy. “You have noticed the intricate vial? It is an interesting vial, to say the least. Once someone opens the vial, a second chamber opens, a chamber filled with holy water and a little drop of a blood toxin. Carelessly opening the vial will destroy the artifact, hence why we have it listed as art.”

After she was finished eating, Ikrisia ventured to a collage of images snapped during the aftermath of the attack. The collage, which was about 2 meters by 3 meters, took up a sizable section of the wall it hung on, and was near the silent auction. Ikrisia studied the faces carefully in order to figure out their emotions. Away from everyone, she was able to personalize the experience.

After all, it was a little more than twelve years ago that she remembered such environments, though at that time she was the one doing the fighting, strictly acting on orders, after a lifetime of brainwashing. Compassion was alien to her, though one of her fellow soldiers, Todd Leyuski, broke command to rescue her from an errant blast. The blast may have vaporized her arms, but they were repaired, and she was able to function again as an able-bodied individual, but never again as a cold-hearted soldier. For she finally realized life was more about following orders, that it was okay to struggle in life and admit ones own struggle. Free will was becoming a fearful yet beautiful thing.

There was the various medical encampments she visited in Iruk during the Vekaiyun Civil War, as well. Much like the images before her, yes, they were struggling, but there was compassion in their struggle. Individuals came together, not just to complete a task, but to selflessly work at improving life for others. Vulpine kind, it seemed, was like that. They treated themselves as one large family, fighting for a common good. One could glibly proclaim that it was merely out of respect for and obedience to the Almighty, to help others, but she liked to think it was a bit more than that. The adults and children who helped others didn’t have much to gain from the self-sacrifice: they had lost pretty much everything when the city was decimated. But they didn’t lose each other.

As she stood in front of this work, she gathered something else from it. Vilines was an integrated city of many different species. Predominantly vulpine, sure, but being on the border of Vekaiyun influence and being incorporated in a newly-formed state had its perks. This charity, this self-sacrifice, this selflessness, existed beyond the flesh and fur. It was a soul. And the more she looked at the images, the more she analyzed their faces and what they were doing, she smiled slightly. There was nothing special about being a vulpine. What a taboo conclusion.

But she had hoped others would see this, too. Was it working? The nation was still debating on the inclusion of Southern Dveria into the Vekaiyun Union, even if it had happened roughly two years ago. But some were coming around. Others seemed to dig their heels in and bequeath the same old rhetoric time and time again. In its pure form, it was Maxism. She had tried to extinguish that notion from the nation prior, but feelings like that would always remain. From vulpines and non-vulpines alike. It was, in her estimation, natural to come together in conflict and to divide when conflict was absent. So, in the purest sense, there were only two real options, both of which she wasn’t prepared to utilize. It would need to be a slow grind.

But what about herself? What about herself indeed - leadership was not the place for emotion. Correction should be swift and all-encompassing. Praise when needed, but in general, stay the course and always seek improvement. There was no need for distractions.

“It’s a nice work, isn’t it?”

Ikrisia turned to her right and spotted Yensey Nekuslovi, holding a fluted glass of some drink. “You have a knack for following people around,” Ikrisia remarked.

“I do? I guess I just stick around until someone tells me to leave. Or, you know, I move on to other things.”

“Mnn, I see,” Ikrisia replied. “Kivio [Mr., unmarried] Nekuslovi, what do you think when you see something like this?”

“Me? Well I’m not much of an art critic. Just a scientist.”

“I asked your opinion already knowing that.”

He scoffed. “Right. Well… I’m not much of an artist, but I do like how the collage is organized. It’s a collage, but it’s not choppy. As to what I think… I think it shows spirit… spirit and determination. Something that we as a people have had for ages and will always have. And everyone has a different calling in that. We help in our own ways, I suppose. Everything works together for solvency, in a way.”

“Anything else?”

He shrugged. “Not really. I mean, yeah, there are a few images that are more striking than others here, but they’re kind of lost among the sea of other images. I think it might have been more powerful if they chose like eight images and put them against this wall. Together they kind of lose their individuality.”

“Perhaps that is what the artist intended?”

“Perhaps… but that’s just my opinion. What do you see in this?”

Ikrisia bit her lip, not entirely sure if she should comment. “When we campaigned in South Dveria and eventually took Nugala, what did you think of that?”

He paused. “Well, it was unbelievable how we defeated the Dverians.”

“What do you believe we should do with a state like that? Could they ever be Vekaiyun?”

“Um, I don’t know if I am qualified to really give a response.”

“No, it’s okay. Go ahead. Just speak the truth.”

He took a sip of his drink. “Well it’s not like the Dverians are bad people… they just grew up thinking that we were their enemy. Much like we did here with them. With that notion, I don’t think they could ever be Vekaiyun in our lifetime. The culture is too thick. We’d be asking them to lose their identity for our sake. And we can’t do that, because that’s wrong. They should be watched, but remain separate. I’m just glad we rose above their standards and have attempted at least some form of peace with them. It’s a different take. Makes me proud to be Vekaiyun, and separates us from brutes.”

“So you would say there is much that separates us from us and them?”

“In both biology and culture. Yes.”

“Hm, I see.”

Yensey furrowed his brow. “What do you see in this work, Premier Levinile?”

“Unity.”

“Unity… as a culture? As Listonians?”

She shook her head. “Not just that. Unity of individuals. There’s… not much that separates us from other species and other cultures when it comes to a soul. We strive for the same things. We just assume that we’re different.”

“You believe this transcends culture?”

She nodded with exasperation. “Yes. Through my experience, I opine that we are no different.”

“You believe culture corrupts this, then?”

“Ehhh… in a way it does. Culture, environment, the likes - that’s our experiences. Take all that away, and we’re the same.”

“That’s… an interesting way to think about it, Premier Levinile.”

She smiled. “Is that an incorrect way of thinking?”

“No… just a different take, I suppose.”

Ikrisia sighed. “I didn’t think you would understand.”

He smiled. “I raise money because I want to help my fellow people. I don’t care about their backgrounds or their species when it comes to that. It is as you said in your speech - ‘today we are all Listonians’. So, if that’s the case, then what does it all really matter - if we can all be Listonian for a day, how important can culture be when it comes to a crisis?”

Ikrisia nodded. “Indeed.”

Kelly Yutani continued speaking to her conversation companion, Beck. “So tell me,” she asked, “do you see any tactical weak points in this gathering should something bad happen?”

Beck straightened up in his chair, and gave a careful once over of his surroundings. It wasn’t the first time he surveilled the room and the building, but it certainly wouldn’t be the last. After the glance, he focused on the company woman and said, “Windows, too easy for a tactical team to enter that way or throw items of their choosing. But the Vekaiyuns being Vekaiyuns, they have the entire perimeter secured to the point where not even a stray fly would make it’s way in from the outside. I noticed snipers on rooftops when I came through town, so that leaves long distance shooters out of the equation. Only chance of making an entryway would be through the staff, but I am confident they vetted all staffers on duty and off. On top of the local population being Vekaiyuns, very introverted and suspicious of outsiders. Staffers are no problem, unless they are deep cover which is a different ballgame. Only chance of this party being interrupted is by bringing an army through town.”

“So, you wouldn’t happen to have any natives in your back-pocket would you?” she smiled, curious.

“I am not at the liberty to say Miss Yutani,” he replied, curtly at that. In the corner of his eyesight, he could clearly see the Premier of Vekaiyu.

Apparently she was chatting with another male. Having read the dossier on the Premier, despite there being obvious blank spots at certain periods of time, it was abnormal. Several doctors around the world were assembled by Wey-Yu Industries to give a psychological examination of the current leader from actions and complex summaries. From knowledge gathered, she had an aversion to holding meaningful conversations with others. Anti-social could be said of her.

Once he had a better look at Ikrisia’s companion for the night, his left eyebrow shot up. As quickly as it went up, it went down. Yensey Nekuslovi was an oddball, perhaps suggesting something to be noted in the dossier.

The Monarch of Vulshain, King Samuil Rainard, soon appeared, wearing his red royal military outfit, adored with the medals he won during the Vulshainian Civil War. He was flanked by two Royal Protection Guardians, who were dressed in black tie attire. One was a human man while the other was a Lupine woman. Two more guards followed behind them, staying a few steps behind.

“Well, at least the party is lively that’s for sure,” he thought to himself. His tail was swishing back and forth a bit. After walking around a bit, talking to a few people, Sam was not paying attention, and nearly stumbled right over a dwarf with an eyepatch on.

“Oh sorry about that. I wasn’t watching where I was going,” the vulpine king said, apologizing to the dwarf. Sam bowed slightly to the dwarf before extending his hand to him.

“King Samuil Rainard of the Confederacy of Vulshain. And you are?”

((Timeskip))

Ikrisia smiled as she ascended the stage and gazed out at the audience. “Once again, I present to you the recipients of the Vilines Society Award, given to those who have went above and beyond the call of duty of serving fellow citizens and restoring compassion in a region that had been so terribly affected by such a heinous act. They have brightened the world around us, and deserve our recognition.”

She waited for the applause to subside. "As for the silent auction, as stated earlier, votes will be tabulated and those who won their items will be notified. We thank you for your generosity. Updates via email or letter will be provided so that all attendees can witness exactly where their donations are going and the lives they restore.

"We wish all attendees, honorees, staff members, and security personnel a safe passage home, though we do hope you took advantage of Ef Nevisharu and its unique confines. All the best, and may the Almighty guide you and keep you.

“And now, I bid you good night, or, as we say in Unonian, Islivelumo es! Almyuso bes navela sokirari!” She smiled and stepped back from the podium as her officers and kinsmen stood and applauded.

Vanse Iliskalu, however, watched with slight concern, noting how the Listonian honorees, particularly Frankyo Korosir, had been eyeing certain artifacts over the course of the evening. He looked to his left with a shifty gaze and gave a nod, barely recognizable against the cacophony of applause and attention drawn to the stage. He didn’t even watch as armed security made their way to guard the artifacts and the exit, ensuring nothing would disrupt this evening.