1 Infinite Loop: The Interview (2014)

Originally http://forum.theeastpacific.com/single/?p=8024692&t=5178779 by the East Pacific News Service

— Begin quote from ____

1 Infinite Loop: The Interview
Interview conducted and written by East Malaysia

A Note from East Malaysia

I decided to conduct this interview after he was commended because it seems like the right time to do so. I was ecstatic that Loop accepted to do this interview and I am honored to bring this interview to the EPNS.

1 Infinite Loop, the founder of modern The East Pacific, has had a long storied history in NationStates and is a pioneer for being one of the Farkers that brought R/D to NS. You will discover in this interview that Loop is a very humble person, how NS was, where Caek came from and much more.

The Early Days

If I am not mistaken, you joined NS from Fark? But what made you decide to join NS itself?

Honestly, it was boring, and I saw the link and decided to give it a try.

How involved were you at that time with that group of people from Fark?

The initial Fark group was just a pile of folks who came to the game from the link, it wasn’t a real group hell bent on grief as the popular tale states.
I’m still involved, as founder of Farkistan

Did you do R/D from the start or did you get the hang of the game first?

Prior to us there was no Invader-Defender aspect of the game, most regions kept to themselves there was very little regional interplay or even diplomacy; Texas Wysteria and the Heartland were the only regions that intermingled to any degree.

Can you tell me about what, if any, organizations you were in and what your role (or position) in them was?

Pretty much the Farkers were my game, I was briefly involved in the meritocracy but it became for a bit an ADN puppet and mouthpiece, I was associated with the AA a bit and was early on friendly with the NPO, and there were little brief groups I talked to or advised.

In The East Pacific

Do you remember when TEP was turned into a Feeder region?

TEP was not a user founded region very long, right about the time of the Heartland invasion was when it became a feeder just before or about the time of the reign of Lothlandermore.

Could you tell me more about how you got involved in TEP (what organization or self-interest, if any)?

After the invasion in the Heartland, I wanted a rest and came here, and was here a month or so, when I became interim Delegate.

When did you decide to bunker down and actually stay with TEP and start the forum and start a government?

After I became delegate I discussed it with the Farkers and we thought a feeder was a neat thing, so I went on with trying to change the game (the Farkers real quest was a way play the game differently see what it was capable of) by changing interregional politics.

I believed that a major region could be Peaceful and RP but not uppity, a lot of the RP regions were “better than you” types, and I believed that you could manage RP in a way that it was open to everyone, regardless of skill or experience, and with the group that came to the region we did change it, we had activity and interregional politics with out the drive of military drama.

Did you think more than 10 years later, TEP would still be going strong? It is a long time to have a continual forum.

Honestly I thought by now some warmonger would have taken over and driven us out to a user created region, but the fact that the region is still here and strong is testament to that original belief.

What was being Delegate like in NS at that time? Can you think of a good and bad moment of the region during your Delegacy that you feel is important?

At the time of my Delegacy there were the new founded defender groups all out to make a name for themselves by crushing invaders and since I was a rather public invader figure I was a target from nearly day one. Being delegate was hard, no mass telegrams, no ejection button, and the mods were blatantly skewed to defenders and RPers, and rather anti-TEP.

My best moment catching the super griefer sure I almost lost the region, but all was well in the end, and one time I was at FYE at the mall and heard some kids talking about NS, they talked about invading the EP and unseating that Bastard Loop, I offered to aid them, got their nation names and then said well, when I get home Ill go ahead and ban you I’m Loop.

What made you decide that it was time to step down as Delegate?

I was just getting tired, exhausted, the late nights and stress and I believed that the region was established enough to be able to begin self-sufficiency

When TEP was invaded under The Empire, did you regret Gnid being your successor after what happened?

I don’t regret anything, The Empire served as a wake up call, and I got to have a bit of fun at the expense of a few of folks,
and in the end justice won out.

Who is your favorite TEP Delegate?

I have to pled the 5th on that, lol,

TEP has had a lot of great players that have fully retired from NS, many of them served with you. Who do you think stands out the most to you?

Everyone, if someone has come through our doors, they are friends and family , I have unfortunately been out of the loop for too long to really make a fair answer to that question though.

Ever think about going back into the flag making business?

Sometimes, I tried to resurrect my flag email the other day but google makes it so damn hard to do that kind of stuff/ I’d probably do it again for special cases, but I need a new copy of Photoshop, my copy is outdated and won’t run on my new Mac.

How does it feel to be called the Father of The [modern] East Pacific? Do you like being an idol of the region?

Well, it feels funny, internet fame and whatnot, I’M not a really outgoing type in person in meatspace, I just do my best to do what is right, as for being an idol, I try to do what is right, guide by example not force.

Did you ever think Caek would catch on like it has?

Honestly no, it started as a battle cry for my group of friends on on Phantasy Star Online back in 00/01, on the dreamcast, I played a FOneweral named Alys and we liked to run guided runs through the game for inexperienced players and we should drop money and items for new players. I have a pic somewhere of my character…

I just kept it and used it still, kinda a link to the past, I still feel withdrawal for that game sometimes, and long for the days of playing it, lol. I’m the one in the green. As for the current state, I’m a bit out of the loop, about its [current] use and the fish mongering.

Around NationStates

How do you feel about being commended?

I’M against the Commend and Condemn stuff, I think I even voted against my own commendation, there is just something about the system that strikes me as bad.

What do you feel is your biggest contribution to NS is?

The EP, it stands as a shining beacon to equality and freedom.

You served as Delegate with other legendary NS delegate of the time. Have any arch-enemies? Favourite NS delegate?

Arch-enemy, could be any of the people who spread lies about the old days, but probably Pope Hope, she led the biggest invader army the game ever had, the ADN, they were imperialists and bullies, and were destined to collapse, the only thing that kept them alive so long was the fact she was female, a girl gamer can rally male players to her side and her cause because gamers will do anything a woman asks, and it just takes a little work to keep it moving.

This is why Biyah and his cronies chose a female leader for The Empire, without the sheer personality of someone like Franco, they needed a female leader. However their own bad policy crushed them, imperialists are destined to fall, this is why I wanted the EP to have no military.

Favorite Delegate, I’d have to day either Franco or Ineptia, both were truly born in fire, FS in the pacific, and Ineptia in the Heartland invasion.

Outside of TEP… what what is your next favourite region? Can be Feeder/Sinker/User.

Farkistan and the Heartland.

Farkistan is the homeland of all free people of NS, it is where freedom was born, and the game changed forever.

The Heartland because it was one of the first real RP regions.

Do you have one that you don’t like that much?

The defenders regions, too many have taken the false moral high ground but outwardly only. Inside they are no better than that which they claim to fight, they occupy regions for their own safety which is just a facade, they are the griefers.

Is there a player you looked up to? Retired/Active and can be from any region to a mod.

I look up to everyone who stands for justice and honesty, because it is too easy to take the bully way out, to do the right thing takes guts, and I can respect that.

This might not be a wise question. Hehe. Ever ran into a mod you did not like?

In my day most of the mods were not to be liked, they were very anti-invader, to the degree that there were mods who cheated in favor of defenders.

I learned to like some of them, but lost a lot of respect for the mod team in general when they held open election for a new mod and I was in the list and I won beating out two defenders and some RPers, then the rules were changed and it was no longer an election but a suggestion, the topic was even edited to reflect the change.

Have you ever read or do you own any books by Max Barry?

I read Jennifer Government rather liked it, never was too interested in the others, I remember when Max made the offer for ad free NS if you owned any of the books, I said I did but keep the ads it supports the site.

A Loop for Your Thoughts

In closing I just want to say how proud I am of the People of the EP, for over ten years you have persevered and stood for what is right, proving to the game as a whole that you can play the game and lead by example not by the sword, when you let what matters guide you you make the game better for everyone.

— End quote

[hr]
Facts: TEP is known for making typos and puns but Loop is famous for 3 things: TEP, flag making, and his beloved typos. Loop’s answers did not have any spell correction to keep it authentically Loop.