A Bingolian Invitation: United Malordian State Visit to Packilvania

A Meeting with the Sultan.
Kilionite Royal Palace, Yukader, Kharyat, Packilvania.
12 October 2022.

Prince Sajahal took leave of the Prince Regent and went to rest. He was trying to figure out how he felt about the encounter. He had often thought that Prince Thumim was playing the same brand of power politics that had characterised Packilvanian high society in general and the ruling dynasty specifically since Namdun III acceded to the throne. In that one encounter, Prince Sajahal gained a visceral view of Prince Thumim’s ideological drive. Prince Thumim was a Legalist. He was a firm believer in the authority of the law and the subservience of all its subjects to it. Despite the fact that Packilvania was an authoritarian dictatorship, it was technically a constitutional monarchy. Often, the old guard of the political elite which had participated in the Second Packilvanian Civil War largely ignored its significance and treated it symbolically.

However, it was becoming apparent that the ideological battles that were brewing in the imperial family were not merely the typical jockeying for power and political prestige. Prince Kujil represented the vanguard of the old order that believed that the nation existed to serve the imperial family. Another faction was led by Prince Thumim that saw such notions as feudalistic and archaic. With that vanguard being subtly exposed to the wide variety of political systems and knowledge around the world, it was not a stretch to suggest that perhaps some of the enlightened ideals of more liberal nations had proven attractive. Perhaps they were harkening back to before the rule of the Communist Party and looking at an idealised version of the past where the imperial dynasties ruled by law. Whichever it was, it was clear that one side was increasingly becoming more powerful, but given that there was still someone brazen enough to try to kill the Prince, it was not a stretch to suggest that there was an appetite for and reasonable conviction of victory.

Regardless, it had become clear that the dominoes of the old order were falling and that Prince Sajahal would be the first to fall. He called his wife and informed her of his decision. He asked the Sultan for a private audience in the throne room of the Kilionite Royal Palace. The Sultan was surprised but was curious about the strange request and went along with it. Namdun III was seated on the throne, while Prince Thumim sat on a chair to his left on the steps of the dais upon which the throne sat while Sultana Mebri sat on a smaller throne to his left on the dais.

Some courtiers were in attendance as formal audiences in the throne room were typically open to other members of the court. There were senior royals and nobles who were itinerant members of the court (meaning they visited once in a while). From their perspective, there was a view of the Sultan enthroned in power with the Prince-Regent being his delegate and Prince Sajahal being his subordinate.

Prince Sajahal bowed to the Sultan, then the Sultana and then Prince Thumim. He said, “Your Imperial Majesty, I have spoken with His Imperial Highness, the Prince-Regent. From his dedication to the law and his earnest desire that it should rule us all, I reflected on myself and my own beliefs and actions. I had solicited him to commute the sentence of Prince Kujil for the sake of preventing the courts from having power over the line of succession. However, I learnt that it is more important to protect the line of succession and by extension the monarchy from criminality than from the courts. I recognise and admit my error in asking this of him and that having done so, I have acted in a manner that was below the measure of my station. Thus, I hereby submit my resignation to the positions of the Governor of Shakar and member of the Council of State”.

He walked up to the throne and presented his letter of resignation. The Sultan then read it quietly.

After this, he looked to Prince Thumim and asked, “Prince-Regent, what say you about this matter?”

Prince Thumim replied, “I believe that Prince Sajahal has acted nobly and appropriately. Were I to advise the Crown on accepting this resignation, I would advise the Crown in the affirmative”.

The Sultan then announced to the court, “I accept your resignation”.

Whereas visually, influence seemed to emanate from the throne, the courtiers and by extension, the wider public would become increasingly aware that it was the chair at the foot of the dais that would chart the path of nation going forward.

Throne Room, Kilionite Royal Palace, Yukader, Kharyat, Packilvania.
12 October 2022.

“What is this?” Sultan Namdun III .

“What do you mean, father?” Prince Thumim.

“My son”, Namdun said, “I find it amazing that Prince Sajahal who has served as the Governor for over 2 decades could resign over a mundane conversation about moral righteousness. What exactly is going on?”

Prince Thumim replied, “He said everything there was to be said. Everything we discussed was what he said”.

Namdun stated, “I don’t want to seem paranoid but are you having my Governor’s removed to force me to hand over the throne to you. Son, I have already agreed to give you the throne at the end of the year”.

Prince Thumim replied, “I would suggest that you start thinking about appointing an interim Governor of Shakar. I will have my office send you some suggestions. The names on the letter bearing my seal will be my official advice to the Crown”.

Kujil Family Mansion, Kemer, Packilvania.
12 October 2022.

“I see”, Princess Faziah said, “I’m so…”

Before she could finish her statement, Prince Sajahal ended the call.

“What was that about”, Ramad asked.

“Prince Sajahal has resigned as the Governor of Shakar effective immediately”, she replied.

“Off”, Ramad replied, “All of that just because he felt like asking for Prince Kujil’s reprieve was unethical?”

“Yes”, Princess Faziah said. “I see we’re alone. If the other Princes see my father-in-law’s resignation as a consequence of his support for my husband, they will immediately assume that they will face similar repercussions”.

“We cannot assume that his resignation has anything to do with his visit to Prince Thumim”, Ramad replied.

“I sincerely doubt that they will not put two and two together”, Princess Faziah said.

Ramad asked, “What will you tell Wasalea?”

“Nothing”, Faziah said, “She does not need to know anything. We will press on with the appeal”.

Ramad asked, “Do you think the Marquis of Jahalalgard will accept the case?”

Princess Faziah said, “That’s where I hope Prince Erahan will be able to assist us”.

Return to Bingol.
Kilionite Royal Palace, Yukader, Kharyat, Packilvania.
14 October 2022.

Prince Thumim’s team was packing his possessions and he was having breakfast in the Palace with his parents before preparing to leave.

“Are you looking forward to going back to Bingol?”, Sultana Mebri asked.

“Not particularly”, Prince Thumim said, “I have enjoyed the relative calm of the Kilionite Palace. I wouldn’t be averse to working more remotely going forward but I recognise that my presence is often required”.

Namdun said, “It was lovely to have you here, son. I’ve enjoyed your presence and I look forward to living in the same house as my wife and sons again”.

“I can imagine”, Prince Thumim said dryly.

Mebri asked him, “Do you miss Saga?”

“I miss her very much”, Prince Thumim said. “I never thought being apart from my love even for a short time would be so difficult. It almost feels like many things are not worth doing without her present”.

“Imagine how I felt without your mother”, Namdun said.

“Well that was your fault”, Prince Thumim said bluntly. “You deserved it. I won’t have that problem because I am not like you”.

Silence followed.

“Well”, Prince Thumim said, “Let me get head out”.

He gave his parents a kiss on the cheek and left.

Justice and Law Enforcement Conference.
Kemer High Court, Kemer, Packilvania.
14 October 2022.

In Kemer, a conference was held among senior judicial and law enforcement officials to discuss public safety Issues. The event aimed to bridge the gap between the courts and the police and to address deficiencies in the enforcement of the law.

Some people felt that it was a talk shop which gave rise to very little outcomes because decisions about policy were made by the executive branch which was often absent from such events. Nevertheless, such conferences at least helped with building relationships and addressing technical issues.

Prince Erahan as the Chief of the Zukaril police was in attendance. He saw the Marquis of Jahalagard sitting at his table relishing his meal.

“Marquis”, Prince Erahan said.

“Prince”, the Marquis said.

“I see that the years have not been kind to your complexion”, the Marquis quipped.

“Neither has the bench done you any favours I see”, Prince Erahan replied in jest.

The two men laughed and exchanged enquiries about their health and families.

“You know”, Prince Erahan said, “We’ve known each other for years and you know that I would never ask you to do something that was illegal or untoward”.

“I wouldn’t expect anything less of you”, the Marquis replied.

“I have a request that is more of a favour”, said Prince Erahan.

“I am intrigued”, replied the Marquis.

“I would like to simply ask, what the progress on Prince Kujil’s case is”, asked Prince Erahan.

The Marquis replied, “Well, the record of it is in the court roll as ‘Pending Judge President Review’ and if that’s me, then I suppose it’s waiting for my approval to admit to the court roll”.

Prince Erahan replied, “And, out of curiosity, is it looking likely that you will approve it?”

The Marquis replied, “Well, I have not completed my review of the submissions made and the recommendations from Judge Harkhib, but from a cursory glance, this case raises such interesting questions about Prince immunity and the role of the courts and our relationship to the Sultan himself, that it definitely warrants further inspection”.

Prince Erahan asked, “And from a cursory glance, do you think that Prince Kujil might win this case?”

The Marquis replied, “Well, that is not something I can answer on a cursory glance. If I were a lay person, watching the news and reading the papers, I would not understand why Prince Kujil was getting any time before the courts given his insult to the nation and the scale of his misdeeds”.

“But we know that you’re not a lay person”, Prince Erahan said, “Unlike the common person, you have many noble causes that your support, especially the Rakhiv Memorial Scholarship in which the Zukaril Police Community Outreach Program has donated 240 million dinars”.

The Marquis perceiving his intention said in a very loud voice so everyone could hear, “I am very glad that a good faith donation has been made to the Rakhiv Memorial Scholarship has been made by the Zukaril Police Community Outreach program. It is good to know that the police are so interested in the development of judicial professionalism that they would donate these funds from the goodness of their hearts without expectation of service or reward”.

Prince Erahan tried to conceal his embarrassment. The message was received loudly and clearly: the Marquis of Jahalagard would not be bribed. Prince Erahan said to himself, 2 million Kirib down the toilet .

Prince Erahan took his leave.

Kujil Family Mansion, Kemer, Packilvania.
16 October 2022.

Princess Faziah received a letter. It was on the floor and she was jumping up and down with joy and relief.

Ramad said, “This is fantastic news! But let’s not celebrate early. We still need to win the appeal”.

Princess Faziah said, “I am sure we will”.

Their joy was shattered as an announcement came from the Packilvanian Broadcasting Service. Ramad turned up the television set to hear what was being said.

“Prince Kujil has been implicated as the leading suspect in the destruction of the Behayeen Bridge, which security services have announced is being suspected as an attempted assassination”.

Princess Faziah’s heart sank to the ground like a stone. She had managed to push the appeal over the line but now a new legal battle was brewing as her husband was being charged with “Conspiracy to vandalise or destroy public property”, “Terrorism” and “Conspiracy to commit first degree murder”.

It felt as though the charges had been announced to coincide with the appeal to undermine any lingering support for Prince Kujil and to draw attention away from the thorny questions that it would raise. But, this was a charge of murder. Whether she liked him or not, she did noy want Prince Thumim or even Prince Abuyin to be killed because of some plot.

A prison visit.
King Yamhad V of Bingol National Prison, Bingol, Packilvania.
13 October 2022.

“You villain! You beast!” Princess Faziah yelled.

Upon hearing the news that her husband was being formally charged with tryibg to assassinate Prince Thumim, she was seething with anger and disgust. The first thing she did when she woke up was go to the King Yamhad of Bingol Prison where Kujil was being kept. While he had thought this would be one of her regular visits, her stomping walk, terse shoulders and furious expression, quickly dissipated any notion of a pleasant visit.

He said, “Listen! It’s not that simple. I actually gave them a tip off about the actual killer. They suspected me of being the person who masterminded the plot because they didn’t believe I had access to the information that I did”.

“Don’t lie to me!” Faziah screamed.

“I’m not lying, I promise”, Kujil replied

“Listen”, he said, “I know that things are tense right now”.

“That’s hardly an apt description”, Faziah declared, “Any support will evaporate. Already your father has resigned as Governor of Shakar”.

“What?” Kujil said loudly, “What?! How is that possible!”

“I had asked him to speak with Prince Thumim on your behalf”, Faziah explained, “Then he called me on the day of his meeting that he was resigning. Rumour has it that he said he resigned because asking Prince Thumim to pardon you was wrong”.

Prince Kujil’s shoulders sank and he looked down and said, “My own father called me a criminal?”

Faziah replied, “I suspect he might have known that you would be implicated and he decided to resign before the official announcement was made”.

Prince Kujil said, “If my own father abandons me, who shall I have?”

Faziah held his hand and said, “You have me”.

As he leaned in for a kiss, the guard came from behind him and said, “Time’s up!”

Back at Kujil’s family mansion

“Ramad, what will we do”, Faziah asked as she paced up and down.

“Let’s stay calm”, Ramad said, “Let’s press on with the appeal and face off the trial that will open against Kujil”.

Faziah said, “I won’t lie to you, Ramad. I’m not sure I can afford to pay you to fight battles in two fronts”.

Ramad came to her and out his hand on her shoulder and said, “Look, I understand how things are. How about we consider this a loan with generous repayment terms”.

“Thank you, Ramad”, she said.

Another prison visitor
A man wearing a black robe, black headdress, black sandals and black sunglasses walked in.

“Two visits in one day”, Kujil said, “What are the chances?”

A large man in all black sat across from him. The man said nothing and simply handed him a small burner phone. He held the phone with his shackled hands and listened.

“Ismos is alive”, a female sounding voice said.

“What?” Kujil asked. The he realised who the caller was. He Immediately began to speak softer.

“I thought they all died”, Kujil asked, “We need to get him out of there or better yet, end him”.

Sabine, the female voice on the other end of the receiver said, “I agree”.

He gave her instructions about who to call and what to do. He had thought he had tied up all the loose ends, but seems that one little strand still stuck out.

Ismos had been the man who put it all together. Kujil thought, If they Have Ismos then surely they would have gotten all the information out of him and announced it".

Either Ismos would or could not talk. Either way, the memories buried in his brain were extremely dangerous and his continued longevity was an existential threat that had to be eliminated.

Visit to a mental hospital.
King Ibran VIII of Medayin Research Centre.

Lord Humeed Ixarion, Duke of Wahed and head of the State Security Agency was on one of his regular visits to the King Ibran VIII Centre. It was a leading research body for neural networks and cognitive therapy and functioned as a site for experimenting on people including researching torture and interrogation methods.

The Duke of Wahed was getting increasingly impatient with the psychiatrists who told him that a bullet to Ismos’s head had prevented any more memories from surfacing since he last called out Kujil’s name in a dream.

“Are we making any progress, doctor”, Lord Humeed asked.

“Progress is slowing considerably”, answered Dr Imhalia Qarmood, neuroscientist and psychiatrist, “We have tried to repair the damage to his brain, but it seems that many of the memories are lost”.

The Duke proclaimed in annoyance, “We need results Dr. We cannot wait for months before he recovers well enough to speak”.

“I’m sorry sir, but we are doing our best”, she said.

He left her to get on a conference call with his investigative team to get their updates on things…

Covert discussion in Tilden,
Free Pax States
15 October 2022

“You know I don’t enjoy leaving the Oan Isles”.

Sabine replied, “I know that. I wouldn’t have asked you to come if it were not important”.

“Yes, I know. Which makes me all the more worried”.

Sabine replied, “Apparently, Ismos is alive”.

“Hmm. Well that’s rather frightening. I had always anticipated the possibility that someone among the five men we hired would be a weakness but I did not anticipate that it would be a Ismos. Maybe Thyfos”.

Sabine replied, “If you had anticipated this, then I assume it will not be difficult for you to sort this situation out”.

“Although, I did have a contingency for one of the others, I was so convinced that Ismos would have died, along with the full breadth of our plans”.

Sabine replied, “Well, that’s not good enough. What happens when the Packilvanians come for us? I hardly doubt we are safe in our respective locations”.

“Which is perhaps why we should avoid these meetings altogether and instead use more covert measures to communicate”.

Sabine, “The burner phone you gave me is garbage. I understand that it’s secure, but it’s functionality is so limited. I can only send a small range of texts”.

“We don’t have a choice for now. I might be able to get some friends at Metatron to make a plan, but I have my doubts”.

Sabine asked,“How’s your man doing?”

“My man and I haven’t spoken in months. Just like all DL guys, he’s afraid. To think that one day he’ll be the most powerful dictator on the planet and yet he’s afraid of his brother”.

Sabine replied, “Under the circumstances, we should all be afraid”.

“Yes, we should. When the so called Great Prince of Packilvania finds us, we will be destroyed. Why the hell didn’t Kujil stay in FPS like you said he would?”

Sabine replied, “He was a fool. The Packilvanians baited him with a promise of immunity and the deal was in a supposedly neutral and safe third party”.

“And yet he was captured with no one watching. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s abandoned us and is saving himself”.

Sabine replied, “It wouldn’t surprise me either. You know what? Maybe the Crown Prince’s marriage to that Duchess lady might make more diverse relationships palatable in Pax”

“I wouldn’t hold my breath. They won’t allow it”.

Sabine asked, “Maybe it’s time to tell you man to come stay with you here and forget about the Throne”.

“He cares too much about power and his family and he doesn’t think his brother will let him live”.

Sabine declared, “With family like that, who needs enemies”.

16 October 2022,
Kujil Family Mansion, Kemer, Packilvania

Princess Faziah was alone in the library of their gargantuan home pouring over documents, trying to evaluate the cases against Prince Kujil.

Wasalea, the children and most of the staff were asleep. One out of 3 rotating guards was on duty. He sat in his cubicle near the main front gate, playing a game on his phone. Then he saw vehicles coming towards the house. At first he thought that they would pass by but as they approached, he saw that the vehicles were actually large lightly armoured police carriers.

He sensed what the vehicles were coming to do and pressed the alert button. Faziah heard a light beeping sound and small red lights flashing gently. For a moment she was confused until she heard a large bang like the sound of a massive metal object being thrown down.

Soon the sound of car tyres screeching on the driveway followed by men yelling informed her that they were being raided. She ran to the control consol and activated the blast doors and metal covers of the lower floor windows.

One of the mains ran to the library and entered asking “Ma’am what’s happening”.

Faziah was visibly nervous but tried her best to keep calm and replied, “Gently wake the kids and Wasalea and come back here to help me shred some documents”.

The maid ran without a word. Faziah began throwing reems of paper into a shredder.

I didn’t think they would have the audacity to attack our child, she said to herself, I was naive to think we had time before they came for us .

She worked frantically as she heard the sound of the doors swing open as the march of rubber boots echoed throughout the house. Wasalea and kids hid in a small safe room, trembling and praying that the raid would be over soon.

The maid was back in the library throwing laptops on the ground and smashing one with a chair.

“Stop!” came a loud command from one of the officers.

“Arrest them!” Another man commanded.

Faziah and the maid raised their hands as they were faced with the barrel of eight rifles on their faces.

Two office aggressively grabbed them and shackled their hands with metal handcuffs. The maid whimpered and began to sob.

Faziah tried to put on a brave face and said to her, “Stay calm. You’ve done nothing wrong. I will get you out of this”.

The main was completely ignoring this and started pleading with the officers, “I have a child, and a sick husband. I was doing it for the money”.

“Stupid bimbo!”, Faziah yelled.

“That’ll be enough out of you, Your Imperial Highness”, one of the officers said.

“You have the right to remain silent…”, one of the officers started saying her miranda rights as they dragged and pushed her to a vehicle outside.

The officers began taking everything they could get their hands on like documents and laptops and the shredding machine.

They ransacked the house and left the thing a complete mess.

Once they were gone and a frightening silence filled the space, Wasalea and the kids emerged from the safe room. The kids were crying and Wasalea tried to comfort them. She said to herself. What do I do now?

Kujil slept soundly in his cell until he was rudely awoken by the sound of a baton beating the metal bars.

He woke up in a daze, confused and wondering what was going on.

“Get up!” said a man in a loud and deep voice.

He was pulled to his feet and his hands and feet were shackled.

“Where am I going?” Kujil asked.

“Quiet!” yelled the man.

Another man wearing a suit held out a paper and read it, “You are being moved to the custody of the State Security Agency as per the order from the Bingol High Court following a special request submitted by the Office of the Director of the SSA”.

“What?” Kujil proclaimed on astonishment, “That’s not fair!”

They dragged him out, covered his head in a black bag and put him in a van. The vehicle seemed to go for hours with the ride getting bumpier and the environment more quiet as the vehicle proceeded. He was pulled out of the vehicle and the bag removed from his head.

He straightened his back, which was aching from the uncomfortable ride. He looked up and saw a large gray building surrounded by wilderness. Vegetation stretched for as far as the eye could see with no landmarks marking the signs of civilisation.

As seemed to be the prevailing sign of machismo, he was pushed and yelled at until he got inside the prison and an official read off a clipboard, “Prince Kujil a-Sajahal Bedon, as per the Criminal Procedure Act as amended read together with the Prevention and Combating of Treason and Terrorism Act, you have been moved to the custody of the state security agency”.

He was moved to a room where there was a table, a 2 way mirror and a small high window.

An official entered the room holding a black tablet phone. He set the device on the tablesand pulled out the small keyboard and began Typing. Prince Kujil looked at him in confusion and then declared in annoyance, “I am Prince Kujil, son of Prince Sajahal, son of the Mighty House of Bedon. I demand that you let me know what is going on”.

The official continued typing as though he had not heard him. He repeated his statement but the official cut him off half way stating, “That will be enough, Your Imperial Highness. I am officer Gareel Khasmeen of the SSA. You have been moved here because the SSA believes that you have been very uncooperative in divulging information with respect to the crimes for which you are accused which include conspiracy to assassinate the Prince-Regent. As such, we have had no choice but to take over the investigative process including applying advanced interrogation techniques”.

Prince Kujil swallowed and said in a trembling voice, “You mean torture”.

“Torture is an ugly and inaccurate description of the techniques we use here and would be a violation of your sapient rights. No, no, no. We use advanced interrogation techniques as authorised by the Bingol High Court”.

He pushed over a document which outlined the so-called “advanced interrogation techniques” that the court had authorised the SSA to use. Prince Kujil’s eyes opened widely and he trembled with fear.

“This is not a violation of my rights? I demand to speak to my lawyer”.

“Your lawyer”, Gareel said, “Has had the opportunity to make representations before the High Court on your behalf. You will be assured that your legal team has received a full copy of the court order served against you and is welcome to appeal it to the Supreme Court as it seems they are appealing all your other cases as well”.

“This is an outrage!” Prince Kujil said as panic filled his body.

“Sir, the SSA is very reluctant to pursue this course of action. However, we are more than happy to be understanding and forgiving if you tell the truth and divulge your co-conspirators”.

“I have”, Kujil said, “There are none”.

“There you go again. Lying. No matter”. Gareel began typing and saying to himself loudly enough that Kujil could hear, “Perpetrator is uncompliant. Authorising effect of the attached court order”.

Kujil was taken by large men and dragged away howling and crying like an animal in danger.

18 October 2022
King Ibran VIII of Medayin Research Centre

The days seemed to stretch out before Ismos like a mist. Everything was obscured and there was no clear distinction between events and ideas as his mind slowly repaired itself and tried to reassemble his identity.

The psychiatrists of the hospital were trying to be gentle and understanding but as far as the State Security Agency, he was a criminal and a terrorist and an assassin for whom gentleness and mercy were wholly inappropriate. For the sake of assisting in his convalescence, they endured the treatment that the psychiatrists were giving him.

Through hours of questioning and investigation, drips and drabs of information leaked out.

“Farkhaad”, Ismos said.

“What does this mean to you”, asked Dr Furmeed.

“I’m not sure, but I remember a place called Farkhaad”, he replied.

The astute SSA observer immediately took note of the location and began to convey the information to the SSA. Lead investigator for the SSA, Rubaan Alkham instructed that a team be formed to investigate Farkhaad.

“Although a lot of the evidence was destroyed and most of his accomplices are dead, we are being given some direction by these new revelations”, said Rubaan.

“As such, I have put together this team to investigate”, Rubaan said, “We will ask the police to patrol the area and divulge all suspicious activity to the SSA. I have already asked the Cyber and Telecommunications Security Agency to analyse and share all CCTV footage in Farkhaad from the day of and the days leading up to the attempted assassination. We have already asked the Bingol Department of Transport to review the number plates of all vehicles that were moving through the area as well as their respective owners on the that day”.

He continued, “As such, I need you all on your A-game. The Prince-Regent is depending on us”.

Bingol Royal Palace

“How are you feeling about the move”, asked Prince Lohadek.

“I don’t trust my father”, Prince Thumim replied, “But I have no choice. If I am to get him to abdicate, it’s best to let him do it on his terms. He’s already given me his word that he’ll hand over the reigns”.

“Look”, Prince Lohadek said, “I will make sure that every intelligence tool at our disposal is used to get to the bottom of this conspiracy to get rid of you”.

“It is deeply unsettling the extent to which my own relatives will go to be rid of me”, Prince Thumim said, “Destroying an entire bridge? Its actually remarkable the lengths people will in my own family will go to unseat me”.

“I am equally disturbed”, Prince Lohadek stated, “This shows that blood is not always thicker than water. Your family has to prove their loyalty and mettle just as much as the next person. Sir, I strongly recommend that you tighten your hand and start clearing out the swamp. Everyone must be loyal to you and everyone who questions you cannot be allowed to remain in office”.

“Thank you Prince Lohadek”, Prince Thumim replied, “You are right. I have been far too benevolent and understanding. People think I am a despot. They will learn what a tyrant really is”.

House of Prince Sajahal in Lehasa,

Prince Udahid came to visit his father in Shakar following revelations about Prince Kujil’s involvement in the attempted assassination of Prince Thumim.

“So you’ve resigned”, Prince Udahid said as he looked out of the window.

“Yes, I think it’s quite obvious”, Prince Sajahal replied.

“He takes after you”, Prince Udahid stated.

Prince Sajahal, bewildered asked, “In what way?”

“For starters”, Prince Udahid began, “He is restless, always seeking more than his station, allowing his ambition to cloud him. I was actually surprised that you decided to resign. I didn’t realise you had much honour left”.

Prince Sajahal said, “It would do you good to mind your manners! I am still your father and I demand that you show me the respect I deserve”.

Prince Udahid burst into laughter and asked sarcastically, “Why should I respect the man who asked the Prince Regent to forgive a criminal? You were right to be ashamed. Now that your criminal son is under investigation for trying to kill our rightful future Sultan, you should do more than resign”.

Prince Sajahal was both appalled and intrigued, “What would you propose?”

“For the sake of correcting your dishonour, I suggest that you disown him”, Prince Udahid replied matter of factly.

Prince Sajahal was shocked by the proposal and replied, “You Ministers must be complete sycophants! You fawn over the ‘Prince Tyrant’ that you would sell out your own family”.

“Is that how you speak of your future ruler”, Prince Udahid asked, “I see that there is no reasoning with you. I will issue a statement together with my other siblings renouncing Kujil and stating our unfailing loyalty to Prince Thumim. It would be in your best interest to do the same”.

Debate of political and filial wills.
Bingol, Packilvania.

Universities across the world tend to hold joint events and collaborate on initiatives even when they belong to nations that are developmentally and ideology diametrically opposed. One of these was a rare political debate between the Bingol Capital University in Packilvania and the University of Newton-Herring in Great Morstaybishlia.

Prince Udahid a-Sajahal Bedon, the Packilvanian minister of mining and energy, was debating on the side of the Bingol Capital University while Prof Penny Leicester would be debating on the side of the University of Newton-Herring. Generally, Packilvanian ministers avoided these rhetorical jousts with foreigners due to the propensity for the foreign press to rally behind the liberal ideas they tended to support.

To mitigate the effects of this, Prince Udahid’s staff decided to keep the scope of the debate narrow and use the international platform to project his support for Prince Thumim and distance himself from his brother, Prince Kujil, and his father, Prince Sajahal.

As the students of the Bingol Capital University gathered in the Senate Hall, Prince Udahid was getting his microphone and earpiece ready on the main stage. He shook hands with Prof Leicester who was not oblivious to the fact that she did not have home ground advantage, for instance she covered her head with a scarf.

“Prince Udahid”, she began, “Do you think that corruption and money laundering are endemic social, economic and political issues in the country?”

He replied, “Well, Prof Leicester, I admit that Packilvania struggles with politicians and bureaucrats who pilfer public resources and use their positions for personal gain. But I would like to draw your attention to the fact that under Bedonite rule, convictions for corruption have increased and institutions are being rapidly developed and supported to combat it for instance, the Office for Fiscal Responsibility, and the Imperial Procuratorate”.

Prof Leicester stated, “Be that as it may, sir, I am doubtful that the international community will see Packilvania as a fully reliable and credible partner with which to do business or engage in diplomacy if favours can be bought under the table or elicited using threats of violence”.

Prince Udahid shifted uncomfortably in his chair, but put on a brave face and replied, “Ma’am, naturally, it is not surprising or unusual for the international community to judge us more harshly than we deserve, mostly because people are not willing to learn about our nation. Take for instance, the prosecution of Prince Kujil. The fact that we have been so transparent in locating the assets he took, removing his cronies from political offices and dismantling the structures of thievery that he built demonstrate our commitment to fighting corruption even if committed by members of our own family”.

She whisked the end of her scarf over her shoulder and adjusted her glasses and asked, “Was Prince Kujil not your brother?”

“I renounce him”, Prince Udahid said, almost leaping from his chair, “I disown him and disavow everything he stands for. No one who defies or even entertains the idea of harming Prince Thumim – let alone going through with it – is a brother to me”.

“But Prince Udahid”, Prof Leicester began, “You state that he did all these things, but I don’t see what is so different with the Sultan appointing whomever he wants to political and bureaucratic positions. The Sultan gets to pass laws that exempt family members from taxes, criminal prosecution, or financial disclosures. That rings of institutionalized corruption to me”.

He was taken aback by the extent to which she railed against him. “Well, ma’am”, he said, “As the family that reigns over the nation and that was at the head of the movement for the liberation of Packilvania from the Communist Party, we are entitled to certain perks and have been entrusted with this power to advance the social and economic interests of our people”.

She replied, coming off more aggressively than she had desired but nevertheless pleased with her questions, “But sir, that sounds like a medieval or gangster state in which one party, having gained victory, hoards state resources and protects itself from scrutiny. That sounds a lot like institutionalized and legalized corruption. Even if it is legal, it is certainly not ethical”.

“Ma’am”, he said, “It is rather bold for you make such proclamations about the Bedonite dynasty. Let us examine the history of imperialism and the instutionalised corruption it abetted in Great Morstaybishlia. Tax havens are used by the Sani Bursil elite to divert funds and avoid scrutiny. Your nation maintains imperial holdings abroad to bully smaller nations, pilfer their resources and protect your institutions especially your banks from the surveillance that they deserve. While you might call us medieval, we are certainly not a brutal imperialist state. Should we venture to talk about the fortunes built on the backs of slaves? But I think such questions are beyond the scope of the debate which was regarding corruption I believe”.

The room seemed to be filled with a quiet tension as the two seemed to hold invisible pikes with blades pointed at their respective throats.

“Right”, she said, anticlimactically defusing the debate. They got on to talk about institution building, financial systems etc., seemingly sidestepping the political questions altogether.

Nevetheless, Prince Udahid was pleased. He had defended his family and Prince Thumim to the hilt and publicly and irreversibly thrown Prince Kujil under the bus. The other Princes would have seen or heard of this and read the room, “No dissent against Prince Thumim or support for his opponents will be tolerated”.

Not long after the very public discussion, Prince Erahan had resigned from his post as the Chief of Police for Zukaril and Prince Imhadil resigned from his post as the Director of the Tashkar Procuratorate. They were friends of Prince Kujil’s and had supported him and elicited others to do the same. If his own brother wouldn’t defend him, there seemed to be little sense in them doing the same.

Prince Jamhood, the Speaker of the Kemer Legislature, who had quickly jumped off the Kujil train penned an op-ed in the Kemer Times in which he publicly lambasted Prince Kujil and expressed deep shame in ever being associated with him.

As the family seemed to flee from Prince Kujil like the plague, Princess Faziah and Princess Wasalea were left isolated and surrounded in the name of the man they loved.

Getting to grips with things
Sultana’s Palace, Bingol, Packilvania
24 October 2022

The Sultan was finally in the Sultana’s Palace, the home he had built for his first wife. His marriage was slowly being repaired and his relationship with his son was delicate but stable. After many years of working for the nation, he was getting some much needed rest and seeing his first born son transition into a powerful ruler.

But the events of the past week impressed on him the importance of succession planning and the hitherto unrealised extent of Prince Thumim’s personal influence and political power.

Already, Prince Kujil had been retrieved from his exile and placed into custody along with his second wife Princess Faziah and his house had been raided with highly confidential and informative documents captured. Prince Sajahal, the Sultan’s brother and governor of Shakar had resigned from his post. Prince Udahid, the Minister of the Crown for Mining and Energy, had disowned his brother and declared unflinching loyalty to Prince Thumim. Senior members of the family had resigned from their posts while others rallied around Prince Thumim and decried his opponents.

Despite being legally restrained in his power, Prince Thumim was compelling changes in the political order that Namdun had not anticipated. Although an attempted assassination is never an ideal thing, Prince Thumim managed to galvanise the public image and secure their support by leveraging the collective threat to the nation that such an attack posed. Furthermore, he was effective at clearly outlining the enemy. The fact that he had done all this using the ordinary leavers of justice that the notoriously inept court system possessed was even more impressive.

It was apparent that the old guard of Princes and Veterans of the Carriers of Mercy who had fought in the Second Packilvanian Civil War was collapsing. Prince Thumim’s ascension to the highest office in the land would mark a watershed in the generational transition of power that was taking place throughout the nation.

But what of sort of generation was this? Namdun asked himself. They were zealous about their faith, extremely obedient to the law, ambitious about their place in the world, and so enriched by the economic growth of the past 37 years that they were neither accustomed to nor hindered by the crippling poverty of their parents and grandparents.

Prince Thumim was at the head of this new group. It was a group that was excited to create a more unified and less federalist Packilvania, one where a united vision of the future, unfettered by ethnic and geographical divisions could be forged. The Palace he had built for his wife was starting to seem like the glass cabinet where Prince Thumim would keep his parents: clean, shiny, on display and untouched, their legacy preserved as they spent their waning years resting while unable to and prevented from making any further impact on the world. This would be his gilded prison where Prince Thumim would keep him unable to meddle or interfere.

Through contemplating all of this, Sultan Namdun III said to Sultana Mebri, “It is time. Summon the Lord President of the Privy Council”.

Sultana Mebri was astonished and relieved by the revelation and its implications. She got up hurriedly and called the Lord President. Within a few hours, the tired old man who presided over the largely symbolic and ineffectual body of nobles that ought to but never did advise the sovereign had prepared the Articles of Abdication.

Sultan Namdun read through them and said, “I am happy”.

He reached the phone and called Prince Thumim and simply said, “My son, on the 24th of December of this year, the Crown is yours”.