A Day Closer to Heaven

International waters to the southeast of Capital District
2 days 1 week 2 months After Exodus
Found among the possession of one Defender Mattheus Jirga of the unfortunate Exodus Vessel 4, during excavation

09:00
Woke up on my own. Sun’s already beating on the skin. Guessed it should be around 9 in the morning. I jotted it down proper.
And still, no rain. Very parched.

10:00
Another passenger was found dead. Dehydration again. Fresh water’s out since last week, and hardly a drop of rainwater since.

11:15
Fell down just now. Thirst had made me off-balance, and the boat’s rocking and swaying just made it worse.
A kid gave me a cup of water. Took a sip, and spat it out. Damn them all, how many times must they be told not to take seawater?!!

12:15
Too hot. Too dry. Can’t even hold the pen properlzzzzzzbaagxcvb…

14:30
Some foreign-looking guy woke me up. Handed me a jerky, which I gulped down in seconds. Told me he took it from the ribs of his recently dead sister, afterwards.
I don’t know whether to spit it out or relish it. The Law permits it, yes, but the truth is very hard to swallow.
I swallowed more, still.

15:00
A speedboat passed us by. Someone fired a shot from within the speedboat; it missed, but took out a large chunk of wood from the mast.
I fired several shots at it using my bow. They hit, but nothing happened. Should have fired only once; there’s no more free wood to fletch an arrow from.

16:30
Came to the central deck for the daily noon prayers. The congregation was half as large as yesterday. Cleric Abuya assured us that the arrival would be very soon.
I’m sorry to say this, Great Creator, but I really doubt that.

17:30
Helped throw out the dead bodies. They festered and decayed quickly in the humidity, but it was so normal to me, I barely realized it.
I saw several guys cutting something from the fresher corpses. Must be for dinner.

18:00
I knew it! The speedboat was just a scout!
Those infidels are flying in their blasphemous demon flyers up there right now. Probably trying to pinpoint us in the fading daylight.
I’ll be going to the upper deck after this.

19:30
Goddamned unbelievers! Their gunboats got us. Tried to fire several shots, but it hit only one of the soldiers on the boats. And there were so many boats. Different country’s flags? Godforsaken demon poops!
I retreated to my room for a while. A shrapnel hit me in the leg. Luckier than Defender Ferrus though; he got it straight in the head, and some of his brain pieces are still on my shirt. Looks good…

21:00
We should have been on the island, but WHERE IS IT?!! The other boats are supposed to aid us, but they are nowhere in sight!
I’ve turned some of my bed planks into arrows. Just got one of the hellspawned infidels right in the throat. But the pain in my leg is so annoying! Now here I am, penning my crap while the others are still fighting outside.

23:15
The boats finally left. Ten more deaths.
Cleric Abuya came, and did his mumbo-jumbo. The wounds closed up. Painful still, but better than nothing.
He asked for me to be patient for a few more hours. A few more hours and we’ll all be free, he said. He said the same thing yesterday, but he seemed more confident this time.
I don’t care though. I can take more beating from now on. After a good sleep of course.

04:45
Damn it!
The infidels sent in assassins!
I hear screams all around. I want to go, but I’m the only experienced combatant left on the boat. I will go right after I jot this down, I will!!

05:30
Managed to snap the necks of two infidels. The good cleric cracked the skull of the remaining one. But I took a cut. Creator knows what manner of blasphemous weapons they used, but it’s really deep. Maybe a good rest can heal it.

08:00
Couldn’t quite lift up the pen anymore. Lil’ Gustav is penning it for me right now. Too weak to even grumble about his hand-writing anymore.
The cleric came, and opened the door wide. It was already sunny.
And I saw many gunboats on the horizon.
The cleric smiled and said that we will be free quite soon. The Way taught us that divine servitude is eternal. But freedom? We are indeed, slaves until the end.
I only hope that Nastiya and the kids stayed safe on the other boat. I prayed for the Creator to give them the pleasure of servitude a little while longer.
I reached for my bow. Freedom awaits me.

Coastal international waters to the west of Capital District
3 days Before Exodus
A returned-to-sender mail found floating in flotsams off the western EP waters, written in plain English with some unknown words

Dear Elsa,

If you’re reading this, know that I have gone to the jetty for the migration. I do not wish for you to follow me, for many things have separated us now. But know this, my heart is always …

<unintelligible waterlogged writings>

…have not welcomed me from the first day they knew of my conversion to Submissio Pacem. I’d half expected that. I know that they wouldn’t like that at all, but the Way has given me much. It has provided me with the strength I need to break free from the rotten world order that has kept us chained for so long.

Don’t believe the papers! Would you like to believe that the people who freed you from the bondage of that rotten tycoon DeWulf were the Republic’s police? Nay, my dear, for you know that the one rescuing you were simple peasants like you and me, who’d answered the call to the Way and battled their ways against that fat capitalist’s guards on their own, armed only with peasant tools! I know that we had to do it on our own when the prefect general ignored our report. I could not imagine what fate would befell you had the devil-gotten money-lover had his way with you.

This is n…

<unintelligible waterlogged writings>

…and also that salty pirate Jan, may he rest in eternal peace.

I left all of my stuffs and money inside the basement of my house. Partly this is because of the calling, but I also think that you needed the things much more than I do. Please take care of your old man and little sister. I shall return to you, when the entire world has finally understood that only the great Creator has the authority to enslave us, not us fool mortals. Until then, goodbye.

Pyotr a.k.a Petraeus Elhakk

P/S: If you decides to follow, please utter the Struggles hymn libertas el tayr nahn saif wa sanguinus wa lacrimi to a bearded man with a sheepskin cap at the jetty. He’ll ask you about the nature of freedom, and you’ll have to give him some food as well as taam wignis as the answer. Don’t be late!