A Prevailing South Wind: Prelude to Five Minutes to Midnight

THE PREVAILING SERIES
Chapter 1: A Prevailing South Wind: Prelude to Five Minutes to Midnight
A Retelling of A Prevailing South Wind (Last Roleplay as Nation East Malaysia) - The East Pacific - Tapatalk as Peregrinia

[right]September 9th, 2018[/right]

Royal Caven Family Compound
Kabuverdianu, Caven

Alexander Caven-Templeton is known as a king without a kingdom. His political power is one of a long dead kingdom and his title is one used for diplomacy and humanitarian activities. He was born in Peregrinia and considers himself a Peregrinese and at times he wonders if that isn’t a byproduct of growing up during a time when the Two States, One Peregrina policy was in full propaganda or if he’s a worthless leader. At the end of the day he had accepted that this was his fate until he had had enough with the leadership of the Peregrinian government and their lackluster performance in foreign policy. They let his family namesake crumble and the only positive addition was East Gemica Islands to keep access to the Caven Sea that was renamed as the government made concessions without even consulting him.

Marcus Daz has been elected and re-elected Prime Emperor nearly 10 times. He was Prime Emperor before he was born and he was winning by landslides on all species front for years now. It wasn’t that he wasn’t a capable leader but it felt as if he was not following the national motto on every building and dollar bill. “Φbι ϰⲉonϰoδdιɒ, ιbι vιϰⲉtoδιɒ” in Kodekesian or “where is the unity, there is the victory” and to Alex that means that you must be united to be victorious and it seemed like over the last five years the government was less on both. He could blame the Empress because she had the final say but many government policies and laws were through the Synod and enforced by the head of government, not the head of state, and she could veto anything at anytime but the Prime Emperor has a sizable chunk of power to influence her.

Today was the last day for Prime Emperor candidate announcements and he had made his decision to make what he felt was a necessary for Peregrinia to become stronger nation and a more united people. He didn’t see the Nekomimi candidate, while a very popular Convocator, Narcisse Im having a chance of winning against Prime Emperor Daz but she could help split the vote he figured. All the other Peregrin, Human and Nekomimi candidates just were not popular enough. He had called a press conference, which ended up having a large gathering of national and international reporters, with the purpose of getting a large crowd of reporters and people as it was rare for one to be called at the compound. He could tell everyone was waiting for him to exit the door by their eye glances at it while his chief of staff was giving an introductory speech through the tinted one-way glass that viewed into the Royal Poinciana Garden. About twenty seconds later he heard his cue, “Ladies and Gentlemen, Alexander Caven-Templeton, the King of Caven,” his chief of staff said as he pushed the door open that started all the flashes and shutter sounds from the cameras and claps from the people.

He smiled, nodded, and waved to the reporters and people as he walked to the podium. “Thank you. Thank you all for being here,” he spoke into the mic as everyone quieted down before he started with his speech, “I’m a proud Peregrinese. As King of the Royal Caven Family I have dedicated my family to help the people of this nation no matter their species or status in society. The values my father and grandfather taught me was to believe in “Φbι ϰⲉonϰoδdιɒ, ιbι vιϰⲉtoδιɒ” because their world view was that a united Peregrin Elf, Human and Nekomimi people was not a force to be reckoned with. I am also a firm believer of this and over the last few years I fear that our government has not lived up to what makes our people strong. Full unification and integration with the Peregrinia Associated States has been dragged out for too long with the lack of enforcement of Synod bills that have been signed by Empress Jung by the government. We’ve made too many concessions internationally, we patrol less and less in international waters that have become a haven for piracy just outside of our local waters and we’ve made questionable economic decisions like when we cut air travel to Aurora during their war when that’s one of our largest trading areas. The list goes on and on and this is why I have called you all here today. I do not want my children or your children to grow up in a two-state solution that is weak or toothless. I, Alexander Caven-Templeton, hereby announce my intentions to run for Prime Emperor of the Sovereign Empire and Associated States of Peregrinia,” which caused another round of camera flashes, cheering from the crowd and reporters whispering to each other. “It is my intention to enforce laws already on the books, work with Empress Jung and bring a United Peregrina to the world. If elected I will renounce my title of nobility and pass it to my son with my wife as Queen Regent until he is of legal age…”

[right]March 11th, 2019[/right]

Imperial Palace
Eastrovia

Glendale was in her office watching the final debate between Marcus and Alex. It has been one wild ride in the terms of Peregrinese politics and she knew all eyes were watching this election. They only happen every five years for Prime Emperor with a seven month campaigning period and followed by a 3 day election period then a week later on April 1st they are sworn in. It had expected by many that Marcus would continue to serve for at least another 15 years. They have campaigned from South Tilden to East Gemica Islands and every state and territory in between. Marcus has not needed to do such extensive campaigning in about 25 years and this election will show that even with a landslide win that you should still campaign because he was not in a recoverable percentage in the polls. She was conflicted on who should would vote for since Marcus had been a long-term ally but Alex has a new world vision for her country that she could support but she did not know if she could trust him. Peregrinia is her country but the land the country is on was his bloodright.

As she was watching the debate moderator had asked about the enforcement of laws to Marcus to which he replied, “We follow the laws that have been enacted but we must take into consideration our place in the world as a lesser superpower to help promote peace in our reach of power abroad and locally in regards to Associated State integration we have to make sure they are fully ready to be integrated into the empire.”

Before the debate moderator could ask the same of Alex he was already talking, “I wholeheartedly disagree. We should be promoting peace by using our power in our and nearby international waterways. The law says we should fire upon any vessel, no matter what flag they fly, that is promoting piracy, illegal trade or illegal weapons sales within 5 miles of our waterways and in any international waters where Peregrinese ships are under threat. We shouldn’t strive to be lesser but to be more for our nation and its allies. How are the Associated States not ready? The people have been granted citizenship for the last 30 years. They use the Peregrin Dollar as currency and that has been 20 years. Voted in elections for the last 15 years. Why do the people of the Associated States still have the requirement of needing a passport to cross the border? Articles of Incorporation Agreements are only supposed to last 50 to 75 years and they’ve all expired with the exception of Wachovia and East Gemica Islands.”

The debate moderator gave Marcus time to follow up but the answer wasn’t clear, he obviously wasn’t prepared for Alex to fight him on every statement, Glendale thought as she placed her tablet on her desk and slouched in her chair a little. She wondered if she should have used her power more but she could only do so much with the advice of her advisors and her own experience as a diplomat. She glanced down at the tablet and could see they were still going back and forth with the debate moderator trying to regain control. She chucked a little because she knew this was going to have the highest TV ratings of the night.

[right]March 26th, 2019[/right]

Twilight had reached Lloyd Island City, the furthest westward city located on Lloyd Island in Westrovia, that would signal the closure of all the polling centers across Peregrinia. As the polling centers closed their data would be transferred to the Imperial Election Commission in Eastrovia that would report it directly to the Imperial Palace for final certification before being released to the newswires. The first to report was the Associated State of South Tilden within 20 minutes of their polling center closure then it would be Eastrovia, Northrovia and Westrovia that would report within the next 20 minutes after that and that would continue from north to south until the last to report would be East Gemica Islands. Once a definitive winner is clear the Empress will do a first call, to the losing campaign and a second call to the winning campaign.

Imperialist Party Daz Campaign Headquarters
Eastrovia

Marcus Daz was in the large conference room with the rest of his advisers, party leaders, pollsters and volunteers as the election coverage started on the televisions as the polls were starting to close in South Tilden as the vote tally and are reviewed by the Empress’ office for certification before the data is issued to the news feeds. He had felt confident that he would be able to pull off a victory if the Peregrin elf vote swayed in his direction and his first battle ground was South Tilden, an Associated State, but with Peregrin elf majority population as he watched the election coverage as he campaigned a lot in the capital of Alpha and across the territory. The host went over with the guest the commentary of this campaign season and the guests felt South Tilden was safe for his campaign but things quickly turned south as the certified results were issued to the newswires…

Peregrinia News Network - Election Broadcast with Eren Fox
Eastrovia

Eren Fox has just cut off one of his guest, Peter Flanagan, when the results from South Tilden has crossed the newswires from the Office of the Empress, “I hate to cut you off Peter but South Tilden’s results have just been issued. South Tilden has voted seven of their ten electoral college votes for Mr. Caven-Templeton and three to PE Daz. I’m being told he was only a few percentages from gaining the super majority at nearly 78%. Any thoughts on this Peter?”

Peter was honestly shocked at the results as he looked at his election prediction map, “Honestly Eren, I’m pretty shocked, this is a Peregrin elf majority territory and he almost won all ten electoral votes. Polling data had shown South Tilden was very likely to vote for Prime Emperor Daz, he campaigned a lot there and had won it multiple times before.”

Cindy Holt jumped in right behind him, "If I was at the Daz campaign headquarters right now, I would be concerned, because Mr. Caven-Templeton has a message that resonates with people that live in the Associated States and he is likely to carry the former Caven states. If the Peregrin elf vote splits then it’s going to be a long night for the Daz campaign waiting for every vote to be certified and electoral votes assigned.

“That’s very true Cindy,” Eren interjected, “Mr. Caven-Templeton has a very popular message that honestly resonates with a lot of Peregrin, Nekomimi and Humans alike. If he’s elected it would change Peregrinese politics because he would proactively use all the power that is guaranteed to the PE role to run the day-to-day government and that would likely give the Empress more time getting out and seeing her people and being able to do more global events. She’s been a very apolitical leader in public but she spends a lot of time on government tasks that do not require her.”

Nodding in agreement Cindy continued, “That’s a very good thing to point out that she does not have to do the level of work that she does but she’s always done that as far as anyone can remember and perhaps this will be her chance to stretch her legs some and get out of Eastrovia. That’s why I’m a Caven-Templeton supporter. The message is one that is good for Peregrinia.”

“Oh Cindy,” Peter said with a chuckle. “The constitution says that head of state is given 80% of power over Peregrinese lands and the remaining 20% is given to an elected head of government and Synod with head of state approval. I think it’s perfectly fine for her to do her fair share of work as a non-elected official. I know plenty of people that are happy that she works so hard.”

Cindy’s mouth open and closed before she started to speak, “Her “fair share” as you categorize it should be spent more with her people not doing paperwork that the elected portion of the government should be doing. You mark my words that tonight that every Peregrinese, no matter their species, are tired of this status quo government.”

Sarcastically Peter replied, “Sure, we’ll see,” with a slight eye roll.

40 Minutes Later…

Imperium Union Party Daz Campaign Headquarters
Eastrovia

Marcus Daz had been pacing the floor by the computers that were keeping track of the exit polling data and official results didn’t match party predictions even within the margin of error after the results from Southrovia and Sarvis had revealed a super majority in Southrovia and 6 out of 10 from Sarvis for Mr. Caven-Templeton. He’s confidence from earlier in the evening had turned into stress because he knew if he was not carrying a majority by the time Northcaven reported that the math in his favor was just not there.

Royal Caven Palace - Indigo Ballroom
Kabuverdianu

Alex has been on edge the entire evening. He was exhausted from campaigning against a candidate that didn’t need as much sleep and traveled across every corner of Peregrinia. He wasn’t even watching the coverage but slowly sipping on his tea that was not cold but when everyone in the ballroom started to cheer very loudly the television screen finally caught his attention and caused him to rub his eyes to make sure he wasn’t seeing things. He called his aide over and told him that he needed a large coffee right away because the night was going much different than he had expected and he was going to need the energy for it was going to be a long night and he needed to be prepared.

2 Hours Later…

Imperium Union Party Daz Campaign Headquarters
Eastrovia

The room was quiet as everyone seen the current news headline and Marcus could feel all eyes were on him as he stood up and walked over to the phone that had the direct line to the Imperial Palace. He could do the math and knew even with a couple more places that needed to be certified that the number he needed was not there. Once Caven and Southcaven reported numbers were certified he knew that would put him behind and it was only a matter of time for the first call to be made, which as he sat down the phone started to ring, “Your majesty,” he said as he picked up.

Royal Caven Palace - Indigo Ballroom
Kabuverdianu

Alex was speechless as the headline came across the television. The ballroom had turned into a party and so had the streets of Kavnu from what he had seen from a live stream that a local news station had been airing on their P LIVE account. A human and Caven-Templeton in a major leadership position in Peregrinia was a political upset because he had received more Peregrin elf votes than he thought was possible. He was not going to waste this opportunity to make his campaign promises a reality and on April 1st would be his starting day. He was drawn out of the moment as his aide came over and spoke to him, “Prime Emperor-Elect… I have the Empress on the line for you.”

[right]Eastovia, Peregrinia[/right]

The Purple House

Alex Caven-Templeton was fidgeting in his suit as he was still adjusting to the formal wear of the Prime Emperor with it was more traditional than a regular suit he would have worn when he was the ceremonial King of Caven. For the past week he has been in Eastrovia staying at The Purple House that was reversed for important guest and newly elected Prime Emperors. The building got its name from it being a white four story building with purple flowers growing on the front.

During the past week he had met with the Empress, Prince and the cabinet he decided to keep largely the same with the major departments but made changes to the smaller ones. His idea for unity was largely approved but two two exceptions that he had to make. He signed the executive orders and dispatched his cabinet to make the changes.

En route to the Synod

Not until his conversation with Empress Jung during his election victory did he realize how much security the Prime Emperor actually gets until it seemed like they burst through the doors of his campaign headquarters. It was nice that being in the government district is you didn’t have the same level of car travel and would avoid the everyday morning rush hour but the district was filled with tourist that were allowed to walk the sidewalks of the major government landmarks. His motorcade wasn’t as large as the Empress or Prince but the tourist and reporters were filming and taking pictures as they drove to the Synod.

The Synod of Peregrinia

After the election of a Prime Emperor it was tradition that they would outline their plans for the next five years but it was also a ceremonial event of introductions and greetings of ranking Peregrinese government officials that took about an hour before he would be able to take the podium to speak.

When he reached the raised podium he could see the empty seats that were reserved for future Associated States to join formally into the Sovereign Empire. He waiting for the applause to die down as he spoke, “Thank you. Thank you for this warm welcome to this honorable institution of Peregrinese democracy but this body is not whole.

When I was campaigning during the election season, I heard a cry from the people, and that cry was they wanted equal representation in this honorable institution. The Human and Nekomimi Convocators clapped while the Peregrin Convocators sat stone faced as he continued, “With her Majesty’s blessing, this morning I signed several executive orders that enacted laws that have collected dust over many years, that will bring us a more perfect union between the Human, Nekomimi and Peregrin people.” Some of the Convocators clapped but many had an unsure look on this face.

“With the powers that have been granted to me, by the Imperial Constitution and laws enacted by this august body, I have ordered the permanent closure of the Associated States Administrative Offices that shall reopen as a general government administrative office. With the exception of East Gemica Islands territory and the Special Administrative Region of Iseul… The Associated States of Peregrinia has been dissolved to grant all citizens of Peregrinia equal representation and the Sovereign Empire shall be renamed the United Empire of Peregrinia,” causing every Human, Nekomimi and some Peregrin to give a standing applause.

As the clapping died down he continued, “’Two States, One Peregrinia’ policy is no more. Starting here and going forward my government will lobby for laws and support policies that promote of a vision of Peregrinia is lives and breaths for ‘Ubi concordia, ibi victoria’ and a ‘Peregrinia First’ policy that will no longer have this great nation divided but as a people that stands together hand in hand,” he did a bow to indicate the end of his speech that left a standing applause with the exception of the Prime and Ancillary Convocators seated behind him as he left the podium.

Associated States Administrative Offices
Libertyburg, Southcaven

Anne Raven, President of the Associated States, silently listened to the Prime Emperor’s speech to the Imperial Senate in the conference room with her direct staff as her eyes were focused on an envelope on the table in front of her. They had gotten the faxes of the executive order just prior and that was when her staff found out. She knew it was going to happen based on her discussions with the Prime Emperor during his campaign, during the past week and when she got a sealed envelope to be opened after his speech. Her role was largely administrative, keeping things running smooth between the governors of the Associated States and Eastrovia. The Prime Emperor had just left the podium and her staff had started to talk among themselves of what that means for their jobs and how he could do this suddenly without a transition period.

She let out a sigh as the picked up the envelop, broke the seal, and pulled out her new directive from the Department of the Interior. Her staff stopped talking as she read over the order before reading it to them.

— Begin quote from ____

[right]UNITED EMPIRE OF PEREGRINIA[/right]
[right]DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR
04-01-2019
[/right]

Per Executive Order of the Prime Emperor of the reorganized of the Sovereign Empire and Associated States of Peregrinia into the United Empire of Peregrinia the following actions will need to be executed by the President and Staff of the Associated States:

Effective Immediately:

1. Associated States Administrative Offices will cease Associated States Administrative Duties and close for the day. Associated States Administrative Offices will reopen tomorrow as United Empire Auxiliary Administrative Offices.

2. All departmental computer systems are to be rerouted to their corresponding central government department.

3. All ongoing non-essential projects are to be placed on hold while their corresponding central government department reviews project details.

4. All ASTROC digital files are to be deleted. If any paper copies exist they are to be boxed, sealed and send to DOI offices immediately.

Reassignments:

1. President of the Associated States is now the Assistant Deputy Director of the Interior.

2. Assistant Deputy Director will be responsible for all staffing reassignments.

3. No staff should be terminated at this time.

4. East Gemica Islands Territory and Iseul Special Administrative Region administrative departments should continue as-is until further notice.

Authorization:

Director of the Department of the Interior

— End quote

“…signed, Marcus Knight, Director of the Department of the Interior. Alright,” she continued as she slid the order on the table, “as my… assistant deputy department heads you are to carry out these orders. From your current staff determine who you will need to help carry out these orders and anyone that is not needed are to be sent home for the day but make it clear that they are to return tomorrow and will still have a job.”

195 NE Fern Street
Apartment 201-B
Truzcon, Wachovia

“DANIEL GET IN HERE!” Megan Jefferson yelled from the living room of their small apartment in downtown Truzcon, causing her boyfriend to rush from the bedroom where he was playing the latest shooting video game. “What’s going on!?” he said looking around a little confused as she was on her laptop with the TV on.

“You won’t believe this! The Prime Emperor just got rid of the AS! Look,” she said holding up her laptop to him, “we can book a plane ticket without having to pay a ASTROC fee for not having a passport!”

“Oh. Okay. Why were you screaming for me? I was in the middle of…”

“Oh come on,” she cut him off, “that’s just a game. I’m changing our vacation plans now. Prome or Eastrovia? Oh! Iseul? That’s on the list too!”

“It was an important game to me…” he said under his breath but quickly changed his tune when she gave him a slightly scary look. “But you’re waaaaay more import! Yes! Iseul! Let’s go to Iseul. But wouldn’t we need a passport to go outside of the city?”

“Hmm… well it says you can travel outside of the city but if you are not a resident of the city then you just have to purchase a day VISA… which doesn’t seem to be that expensive… I mean… we can go somewhere else?” She gave him a frown and a sad look, “it’s up to you.”

“You know, with that extra money we would be saving on ASTROC fees, I think it’s perfect.” I’m not falling for that trap, he thought to himself as he sat down next to her so “they” could plan everything.

[right]April 7th, 2019[/right]
Imperial Palace
Eastrovia, East Malaysia

Glendale was having her first weekly meeting with Alex since his speech to the Imperial Senate. They had been talking and sipping hobstiberry flavored coffee for nearly an hour as they talked about the transition of the Associated States, various issue with that and the timeline for full integration.

For some reason she had always questioned if his political vision was his own or that of his advisers and the more they talked the more she realized his drive wasn’t politically motivated. She was talking a sip of her coffee when she decided to try to get a better understanding of what his true vision was, “Alex. Since these meetings are off-the-record. What’s your long term vision for this nation now you have been elected?”

He paused for a moment as he collected his thoughts, “I believe we both care for this nation and its people but the difference between us is that nearly half of the land is my bloodright. And if I can be honest?”

She shook her head in agreement, “of course. I wouldn’t want it any other way,” she said with a grin.

“I think if the Peregrin Uprising had not happened we would be in very different positions. For better or for worse I believe that without the uprising that the Peregirn Elves would have continued to be subjugated under the East Malaysians and to an extent probably under Caven also. If anything, thanks to the Masakomi Nekomimi, they have brought us all closer together. I just think that the elven family that overtook the Bishops would have been less ruthless and not caused the Caven Empire to falter. That’s all nearly ancient history now. I really would like to see a Peregrinia that is revitalized and taking charge in Sey."

‘Closer together’, she thought, “I’ve had long conversations with Amanda and the effects the Bishops have had on Peregrinia and its people. You two would have a lot to discuss on their historical influences but going back to this idea of yours… that seems pretty lofty. How do you propose a nation with a Peregrin elf majority go to being a minority would react?”

“I understand where your opinion comes from but in my view it’s the Peregrinese, not just the Perigrin Elf, with the Bishops out of the picture, that now bring order to the chaos that the people need in Southeast Yasteria. You can’t think of it as being a minority by one species but as a culturally unique people,” he sighed, “We could be the leading nation of a federation that I believe could be on the horizon. A future that has Peregrinia that is part of a larger political and economic union from Hoopland to East Gemica and everything in between that could form a United Federation of Southeast Yasteria. I believe the beginning could be with us developing a new currency between Sey nations.“

“That’s a view I can stand behind… but a new currency?” she questioned, “We already have two that are accepted. Why would we have three?”

“I’m not talking about added a new one but unifying Southeast Yasteria under one currency. That’s the first step to creating a strong economy between us. We are a major trading partner of Free Pacific States, if we stop doing an exchange rate for their currency, they will set down and talk with us, because we are like sisters from different mothers, understanding of each other; they would want to talk to us.”

She gave him frown, “that would put us in a very interesting place with our UNAC partners. Are you suggesting we stop accepting the Kirib?”

With an undecided tone he responded, “well… yes but no. I believe we should continue to accept it due to many of our large companies being an integrated part of our economies but it should be at an exchange rate and not blindly accepted.”

“I’m not sold on this idea,” she said as someone knocked on the door, causing her to look at her watch. “Looks like we are out of time for today but I will entertain this idea. I will approve for a study to be commissioned on a single currency for this region. I’ll have the approval order sent over tonight,” she said as she stood up.

He waited for her to stand before he stood to respect protocol and gave her a handshake, “thank you Your Majesty. I look forward to showing you the benefits.”

[right]April 30th, 2019[/right]

Glendale’s secretary had brought her a sealed envelope from the treasury department that was pretty thick as she was just starting her morning coffee before her usual mid-morning meetings.

‘Ah! The currency report is already done. And 500 hundred pages long,’ she thought to herself as she flipped through the pages of the book that was filled with text, charts, graphs and designs. She looked down at her watch and seen she had a good 30 minutes before her meetings would start and with a huff she started to read the introduction that also had a proposed design at the end of the page.

She was just about to turn the page when her phone gave a notification sound, causing her to pause, so that she could set her coffee down to pick up her device but she accidentally spilled some coffee as she always filled it to the brim, “I need to stop spilling coffee on these reports,” she said to herself as she was wiping the coffee off as she picked up her phone. It was a standard government bulletin reporting minor demonstrations had happened in the city of Hoopland but that it was dispersed by the local government. The rate of these “minor” alerts about Hoopland were becoming more common than not. It had her concerned as it was a vassal sate of Packilvania and that a lot of human Peregrinese liked to vacation in Hoopland around this time of year. She put down the report on her desk so that she could write a reply to the bulletin to have them to raise the travel warning for Hoopland from yellow to orange; recommending the use of extreme caution when traveling. As soon as the message recorded sent her landline phone started to ring with the caller ID saying ‘Prime Emperor’s Residence.’

Alex waited on the line to see if the Empress would answer, he was curious behind her thinking with updating the Hoopland travel notice, but it ended up going to her secretary’s office that informed him that she was in a meeting. He thanked the secretary for her time, hung up the phone and looked at his chief of staff, “she was in a meeting that wasn’t on her official schedule.”

Max Lawson let out a chuckle, “the disadvantage of being third in command. You likely wouldn’t have liked her reasoning and that’s probably for the best?”

Nodding his head, “you’re right. I can’t disagree with that but,” Alex picked up the Southeast Yasteria Dollar study and turned to the regional ethnicity and language report page, “according to research the bright yellow on this map that covers the north and western side of Peregrinia and all of Free Pacific States are primary users of this proposed currency and into Packilvania it becomes lighter yellows are people of ethnic Codex and then this green in the south and eastern side of Peregrinia is that of ethnic Wachovia. The darker the colors the more concentration. If you look at Hoopland in the urban areas that make up the city on the peninsula and two islands is dark yellow. Just because I’m ethnically Wachovian doesn’t mean I can’t care about Codexians. Historically speaking our two peoples have always stood up for each other since we’re nearly culturally the same. Even the Peregrin Elves, over time, have become culturally more… well human in their personalities but culturally they are nearly Codex themselves but just a flare of cat in them.”

“So what’s your concern with Hoopland then?” Max asked as Alex at times gets off topic on topics he has interests in.

“Ah, yes, I did get off topic. My point is that as Peregrinia is the leader of Sey and if the Peregrinese were to make strides to protect those that identify themselves as people from Codex or Wachovia then it would send ripples in a calm water. Hoopland has never been considered a part of Southeast Yasteria but it has the largest concentration of population that would say they are ethnically Codex. This of course is from various wars and regional conflicts that lead them to be divided from the rest of us.”

“Do you think that their religious differences would matter? It almost seems you are suggesting a doctrine of protection for people that find their roots in Codex or Wachovia.”

“No, not at all, because we practice a freedom of religion. And you know, that’s not a bad idea, a doctrine of protection. Since Empress Jung doesn’t want to answer my calls, I’ll type something up and email it to her. She can’t avoid that I hope,” he said as he started typing on his computer.

“I don’t mean to rush you,” Max said several minutes later looking at the time on his phone and the tablet that had Alex’s schedule, “but you have a very important meeting with the Director of Agriculture due at this time.”

“Don’t worry my old friend,” Alex said without even looking in Max’s direction as he attached the document before hitting send, “I’m already done,” he said as he stood up to move to the conference area in front of his desk. “What was on the agenda with Agriculture again?”

“Oh humanitarian aid,” Max said handing the tablet over to Alex as he sat down.

“That shouldn’t he hard…” he started to say until he read the highlights, “ah… humanitarian funding increase and investments in farmers located poverty regions of Urth. I can’t wait to see what the Director has to pitch with this one…”

[right]May 29th, 2019[/right]

Agent Omega-01 was enjoying his coffee at a local Iseul coffee shop as he watched the local news. Yesterday was the end of his four week mission to leak a portion of the Southeast Yasteria Dollar report that detailed the end of Iseul’s control over its own monetary policy. It also revealed that the Peregrinese government was actively researching consolidating the regions currency. His cellphone was sitting on the table and started to vibrate with notifications from various regional news outlets on the news that was now hitting the newswires and opened the app.

— Begin quote from ____

ADVAN NEWS NOW

I-NEWS Channel One
Top Story: Eastrovia to enforce centralized monetary policy. P$ to be withdrawn from circulation.

FPSNN
BREAKING: Peregrinia researching regional currency. Anonymous government source reports that Peregrinese officials have not contacted FPS officials on this development.

PNN
PGA planning new regional dollar. Has not included FPS or Lyon officials in discussions.

Hoopland Free Press
REPORT: PGA economic adviser having discussions with Packilvanian officials.

Eastrovia Times \ Financial News
HAPPENING NOW: Iseul reveals leaked report on Southeast Yasteria Dollar. What this means for your investments.

East Stock Report
EXC, PBX both down by 3% over leaked report by Iseul’s government. PGA A100 companies are down by 10%.

Sovereign Press Report
SOURCE: PGA government to issue statement on leaked report. Has reached out to economic partners.

— End quote

He kept scrolling through the news feed and seen why the AGC Board of Directors released information. ‘That one story would soon be bumped out of the top headlines soon enough,’ he thought to himself as another notification came through he was waiting for. ‘Ah yes, bonus payment of P$5,000, I guess it’s time for me to head back to headquarters for the next assignment.’

[right]June 6th, 2019[/right]

SeyHilton Hotels - Downtown Bingöl
Bingöl, Packilvania

Jalil Zadhu’ah slammed his paws on the conference table with the leaked Iseul Report, “what game are you playing Elf? Are you making backdoor promises to screw us over?”

Jacoby Maz, truthfully was slightly scared that the Pax feline was about to jump across the table and attempt to have him for lunch but kept his calm, “Minister Zadhu’ah, that report was leaked and incomplete. My government feels that should have been an internal discussion between the leaders of Iseul and Peregrinia but…”

“Propaganda,” hissed between the minister’s feline teeth and interrupted Jacoby.

“None of your business,” Jacoby shot back which caused the the minister’s claws to come out but he continued talking, “and has no concerns with these discussions we’ve been holding as I have the full authority of my Prime Emperor to speak on his behalf and that of the Empress. We’ve already agreed that we can come to a financial deal and I understand your concerns but what I can propose is a deal your Caliphate would be very unwise to turn away a once in a lifetime deal.”

Jalil released his claws as he could smell the uneasiness of the Elf, “I’m all ears,” he said narrowing his eyes on Jacoby, preparing to defend himself.

Jacoby relaxed and sat a little back in his chair, “excellent. I know that your government wants P$1 trillion for the land of the city and it’s people but my government think we have a better deal. P$100 billion for the land and people and trade deal that will open Peregrinia’s economy to Packilvania and with our observer status in the UNAC that we would allow Pax goods access to use our shipping lanes in the Caven Sea. If your government insists on the higher cash up front then I’m not sure if the economic deal is viable but I’m pretty sure this deal is worth more than P$1 trillion,” he finished with a grin.

Jalil couldn’t help but show his teeth a little at the low dollar amount a rich nation like Peregrinia was offering but as the Elf continued to talk he relaxed a little because the economic deal is very appealing. ‘Backstabbing Elves’ he thought when it smiled and involuntarily clawed the table again. With a hiss before he spoke, “I’ll be back next week with an answer,” he said then stood up from the chair and without retracting his claws walked away and out the door.

Jacoby let out a sigh of relief and slouched into his chair when the door closed, speaking out loud to himself, “I thought I was going to die,” before he stood up out of the chair. He walked around the table to take a look at the damage inflicted to the table, running his hand along the wood of the table, “better the table than me,” he chuckled to himself and gave a mischievous grin as he headed to the door to return back to his hotel room.

[right]June 30th, 2019[/right]

It was a day Jalil Zadhu’ah had not looked forward to over the last couple of weeks as he walked the hallways of the hotel, admiring the level of design detail that the Peregrinese company had put into the interior, as it was one of the largest towers in Bingöl, it wasn’t surprising. His wife and children had been a heavy thought on his mind as this day came closer. Her family had lived in Hoopland for generations before Packilvania had taken over the ailing Hoopland government. All three of their children were currently enrolled in Hoopland Metropolitan Area Schools, their residence was located within the city and now he had a life changing decision to make.

He stopped for a moment to look out the window to take a hard look at the city he had worked in as an economic minister for nearly a decade and a half. He tried every tactic he could think of to get the Malaysians to walk away from the table. High dollar amounts, his own prejudice, to even trying to scare the Peregrinese delegation. He felt betrayed by the Caliphate for placing a low dollar amount on Packilvanian citizens, even if the unrest continued, they could have easily placed the population of the city under martial law but the deal was honestly too good to pass up.

The smell of fear approached him from behind. He knew who it without taking his gaze away from the city. “Jacoby Maz. What do you want Elf?” He said with a low growl.

Jacoby approached cautiously from behind, “Oh, just passing by, the conference will be starting here shortly. We should walk in together. It would would be a great PR shot for the news.”

Jalil turned around with a hiss, “is that all you people think about?” Jacoby’s grin turned into a full fledged smile, which actually caused Jalil to take a step back, as according to legend one should never trust a smiling Peregrin Elf. He had never seen one smile before. It’s eyes were cold and devoid of emotion. He felt the urge to run but stood his ground.

Jacoby was satisfied he could instill fear for once into the feline but quickly turned off his internal bloodthirst and went back to a normal grin, “It’s one of many things every nation should consider. Optics and logistics. You don’t agree?”

With a hiss and several other feline curse sounds Jalil turned away, “I’m going to the conference room. We can go in together.” As he quickly walked away he didn’t smell fear from behind him anymore but something much worse.

Jacoby didn’t move but intently watched him walk away with a smiled once again. It felt great to stop acting so weak and innocent for a moment before he let out a sigh and composed himself for the conference.

North Ridge Apartments - Apartment 803
Betros, Hoopland Metropolitan Area

Katey Joseph had just finished getting ready for work and still had about an hour before she had to leave, so she decided to do her normal routine to have a light breakfast with her coffee on her balcony. She lived on the 8th floor with a great view of the Ravenna Bridge that connected Betros to Hoopland, a view of ships coming and going from the harbor and always could view the sunrise and sunset.

She had just settled in her wicker chair when her phone gave a news alert about a news conference between Packilvanian and Peregrinese officials about a possible trade deal and that the conference would be live streamed within the hour. She cleared out the notification, sat her phone on the table and continued to eat her breakfast and drink her coffee and enjoyed the morning breeze from the ocean. She looked down at the bridge and noted a lot of black military style trucks leaving Hoopland and entering Betros. ‘Another protest is planned for today?’ She thought to herself as she focused on Hoopland because it didn’t make sense to her why they would be coming from Hoopland and not from Betros.

Instinctively she picked up her phone and searched if any planned protest were scheduled for today but she didn’t see anything but when she looked at at the Hoopland Port she noticed several naval ships but they were not Packilvanian because the flag seemed to be mostly blue and a different color in the bottom left corner but she couldn’t make it out from the distance. Again she searched “naval ships hoopland port” which returned a few news stories and a video someone recorded from their cellphone. She clicked the video and showed the black trucks being unloaded from one of the ships and commentary from the person recording, “why are Packilvanian troops helping to unload Peregrinese military vehicles and troops? Is this a joint military training operation? I don’t understand what is-.” She stopped playing the video and remembered the trade conference that was about to be held but it didn’t mention anything about any military operations or Hoopland. She knew they had an economic meeting in Hoopland several weeks ago before moving them to the capitol but as she was thinking as another alert came across her phone that the news conference had started and she clicked the link that started to play the live stream to start to understand what was going on.

SeyHilton Hotels - Downtown Bingöl
Conference Room

Jacoby entered the conference room right behind Jalil, to his surprise that the media turnout was lackluster to such a historic event, which told him that the media didn’t think a real deal was coming and this means the news outlets that did come would get the rights to the reports. He had to even do a double take when he seen Penelope Quinn, the famous fashion editor, also in the crowd but she was their to report on their choice of dress to the event and the other bits would be how it could effect the fashion industry.

Once they both got settled, Jalil spoke first as part of their agreement, “good morning, I’m Jalil Zadhu’ah, Economic Minister of Hoopland Vassal State, and I wanted to thank you for being here to witness this historic event between Packilvania and Peregrinia. Today with my Peregrinese counterpart we will unveil an agreement that has been in the works for the last several weeks that will be known as the Hoopland Accord.”

Jalil nodded to Jacoby to speak, “Thank you Jalil, I’m Jacoby Maz, Special Envoy of the Empress of Peregrinia. My government approached the Packilvanian government to see if they were open to negotiations for an economic package between our nations and we first met in Hoopland at the end of May and have had weekly meetings since then here in Bingöl,” as he spoke the summary copy of the agreement was being passed out. “This agreement is historic because it establishes diplomatic and trade relations between our nations which promotes peace in the Southeast Yasteria region but it also will ease tensions with the partition of the Hoopland Metropolitan Area to Peregrinia, which I’ll allow Jalil to speak a little about that before we formalize the agreement with our signing.”

Jalil had to resist the urge to claw the table as he spoke only the official propaganda, “the Hoopland Metropolitan Area has always had a special status within the vassal state and the partition of the area combined with a trade agreement outweigh its contributions to the Packilvanian economy on its own. We approached the Peregrinese government with the idea of using Hoopland as a mutual trade zone based on the number of tourist we receive each year from the Southeast Yasteria nations and it evolved into the partition we are announcing today. As a going concern we felt that Peregrinia was the best fit to administer Hoopland.”

Jacoby picked up the Hoopland Accord signing book, opened it, and slid it over to Jalil so that he could sign it first because it would look good for the camera. After he was done signing he slid it back to Jacoby which he signed quickly to formalize the agreement. After he was done he presented his hand to Jalil so they could handshake on it but the feline paw was interesting to shake but Jacoby wanted to make Jalil as uncomfortable as he possibly could, “it’s been a pleasure to work together. I look forward to continue to work with you well into the future.” Jacoby grinned full smile for the camera as he spoke.

[right]July 1st, 2019[/right]

Marcus Hill suddenly woke up at and couldn’t immediately fall back to sleep. That’s caused him to toss and turn for what seemed like an hour due to a weird feeling that he assumed that he needed some fresh air. He was staying on one of the naval ships stationed at Hoopland and just assumed it was the movement of the ship and being in unusual surrounding.

He had made his way to the deck of the ship and it was pretty calm. It was a pretty good view of all of the Hoopland Meto Area with its countless skyscrapers making the entire area have a nice glow to it. It was only him on the deck which was unusual as he was thinking of it because he didn’t bump into anyone but he got distracted to his train of thought by the moon.

As he looked up at the moon, it was a waxing crescent, so that’s a good omen he thought, when thinking back to his religious studies. It meant that Moon was rising but he didn’t pay much attention to superstitions of it all.

A flash of lightning and the crack of thunder diverted his attention to the south… ’impossible! It was clear for miles.’ As a strong prevailing south wind unexpectedly hit causing him to be pushed back to about the middle of the deck before he crouched down to stabilize is footing.

Within moments the glow of he city was surrounded by darkness and he could feel whatever was in the darkness looking at him. He was frightened at this point and instinctively grabbed his moon neckless that was given to him from his great-grandmother that he never wore but he carried it in his duffel bag. ’What is this doing here? Is… is this a dre… a roar from behind him cut his thinking off. The knowledge of what that roar was from made him instinctively freeze and slowly turn around. As a elf of the jungle they respected and feared the black panther and being crouched down but him as easy prey.

He made eye contact with the big cat but it had a magical glow around it as it jumped over him, ’Moon’ he thought, as he heard it “speak” but not from its mouth but its essence of existence itself making him cover his ears.

“Protected!” the Jaguar screeched

“Mine!” the darkness screeched back. “You have no power here you fallen.”

The Jaguar look a human shape shrouded in darkness the next instance with a sword in his left hand forcing it into the ground creating a barrier that cracked through the ship and went on forever. It was so bright that he could see the other figure that was in the darkness. It looked directly at him and pointed.

A dark light shot toward him, breaking the barrier, before it hit him Moon surrounded him with his cloak, he was face to face with a god but couldn’t see anything. Moon grabbed his hand still holding his neckless and said “Wake.”

Gasping for air as he shot up out of his bunk . Marcus didn’t think he was a superstitious elf but his opinion might be changing after the dream he just had. He looked over at the time as he held his chest trying to calm down. It was 23:45, a quarter to midnight, the witching hour for Peregrin Elves.

He quickly got out of his bunk and went to his duffel bag to grab the moon neckless to put it on with his military tags. ’What a dream, never experienced anything like this before, but better safe than sorry.

Five Minutes to Midnight - The East Pacific - Tapatalk