A Time of Seige [VOIDED 2017 ZUKCHIVA]

They say that heroes are born in untold places. That they emerge when they are needed.

What if I were to tell you that they are wrong? That a hero isn’t born, but found. Not born, but changed.

What if I were to tell you…

That your ancestor was one too?

Nikarti, Bagatork
Marth 4th, 1552

The street is bustling in the city of Nikarti-as usual. It was said that nothing could ever stop the Nikartian market, not even invading soldiers. I didn’t believe that of course. Then again, everyone in the city was stuck-up and proud of themselves. Maybe the market would continue, if not just to be stubborn against the face of soldiers.

I walk along quietly as the stalls pass me by. I took a small amount of happiness each day from seeing the city alive. After all, it is all we had left. Each day meant a little more food lost. Each day meant the city was closer to starvation.

Nikarti is doing particularly bad out of all the border cities in Bagatork. It’s not really surprising considering that we were the first city they targeted. The savages had arrived around two weeks ago and killed anyone outside our walls. We were trapped.

The elders keep saying it will go away eventually. While I respect their opinions, I have to say that it probably is not true. We already have heard rumors that other border-cities have been besieged, and one confirmed message saying that the savages have already passed the border and were working their way to the center of the nation-state.

When we heard about this, it finally shook the heads of our elders into action. Of course, they still believed it would pass, but they began rationing food out to the public. Merchants were still allowed to sell their wares with abandon, but it was doubtful they could leave the city now. They were trapped as well.

I walk along before I see a giant man smile at me warmly. His name is Jokath. He isas a bear of a man, and towered over other men his size if only slightly. Despite his imposing countenance, he is actually very friendly once you befriended him as I have done.

“Armenia!” he smiled warmly. “How’s my favorite girl here?” Jokath is one of the traveling merchants so common to these parts. He isn’t from Bagatork either, he actually hails from Catork but as he says, “Nikarti is one of my favorite places of all time.” I smile back at him and walk up to his stall. “How are you doing Jokath? Any news about getting out?” Jokath’s smile wavered a little. “I wish so… but not really. They say the wildmen have gathered in more numbers outside the wall. They are no longer sending out armed caverns, think it’s too risky to send them out now.” My smile wavers as well. I wish for Jokath to go home and be with his family, not stuck here with the rest of us. I smile again a little more forcefully.

“It’ll get better. I’m assuming the savages will tire of the siege eventually.” I look at his meager stores and buy something to get his feelings up a little more.

“Thanks.” he says to me, knowing what I’m doing. He hands me back the money and sighs. “Doesn’t matter anyways, soon most of this will be gone. I have enough money to survive for some time.” He looks at me warmly. “Don’t you have somewhere to run off to?” I nod and walk away, waving goodbye to him. I take a bite of the fruit as I walk towards the Hall.

Why did my father call me? What does he want right now?

I walk on.

I enter into the grand hall doors. Inside is a large room that stretches out before me in an oblong pattern. Benches and tables are scattered haphazardly; beer mugs still set out from last night’s feast. To my right is my father’s office, a small shack built right inside the Hall. I open the door slowly to see my father at his desk; he has his heads in his hands.

“Father? Did you ask for me?” He looks up at me with sad eyes as if he knew that something would happen soon.

“Armenia.” He smiles at me as the sadness mostly disappears from his eyes. “How are you?”

“Fine father.” He nods at me.

“I think it’s time for you to learn to use the knife.” I nod in agreement. I had passed my 13th year some time ago and was expecting this. Nonetheless, I could feel a tear rolling down my cheek.

“Yes father. I-” Suddenly a big boom is heard as an orange glow can be seen from the distance. My father looks up sharply and through the window. The hall door bursts open to reveal a man breathing heavily. He looks around himself before walking quickly to the shack and opening the door. My father gets up quickly.

“What is it?” The man looked at him in fear; his chest rising and falling.
“The wildmen have come again. They are attacking the city walls. Commander sent me here to find you and tell you.” My father grunted and grabbed his coat. I looked up at him.

“What do I do?” I asked him in fear. He looks at me kindly and with love.

“Stay here Armenia. You are tough, but if they breach the city they would find you quickly.” I nod nervously. I fear for my father’s life. However, my father can see my fear and kneels down before me. “Listen Armenia. I will be fine, I will not be fighting. It will all be ok, you’ll see.” Smiling at me, he gets up and leaves with the guardsman.

I watch as their backs recede to the glowing orange in front of them. I wonder if I’ll ever see my father again…