A United Citizenry Concordat

In response to a favorably [POLL] Major Overhaul to Citizenship System VS A Compromise Resident Rights Proposal - The East Pacific - Tapatalk – I will formally submit what is required to get that kicked off. Yes, a new Concordat, that is the only way!
[hr]

Current proposal: A United Citizenry Concordat - Page 7 - The East Pacific - Tapatalk

Tldr:
>Universal Citizenship. Universal Rights.
>Elections/Referendum Registration and WA Verification for Voting
>Concordat Ratification and WA Verification for Government Positions

1: Is 60 days enough to find all the discrepancies, draft the amendment, discuss it, motion it to a vote, and then vote on it?

2: “Citizens may not be banned or ejected from the East Pacific without just cause for any reason not stated in law or this Concordat.” is probably better as “ Citizens may not be banned or ejected from the East Pacific without just cause or for any reason not stated in law or this Concordat.” Idk tho, it just doesn’t sound too good.

3: Can you provide for me and everyone else, as a refresher, how this affects the process of banning and ejection?

While I did and so support resident rights in principle, I have issues this this proposal.

A) It is simply unnecessary to change “Citizen” to “Registered Voter”. I understand the point is for clarity, but one can argue that it’s even more confusing because now “Registered Voters” can be in government while “Citizens” cannot- what? The “Citizen” and “Resident” split is perfectly fine for this, and won’t require us to have to amend so much law for such a small and really unnessecary change.

On a personal note, “Registered Voter” does not sound good.

B) I am completely against the switch from trial to hearing. A hearing is so much less unprotected- I would prefer our current system of trial for citizens and hearing for residents, versus hearing for all.

A hearing has:

• No procedures regarding evidence
  • Much more stricter turn-times for parties
  • Viceroy can deny a case by themselves (versus whole Conclave denying a full-trial)
  • Lack of scheduling flexibility

(The Arbiters can correct me on this, but this is what I see when reviewing the SOC.)

In other words, hearings are bs compared to trials. This change should not happen.

C) As I said in Discord: “In reality, the only way any a resident rights for all proposal will work is if we give the Delegate discretionary powers to ban nations for offenses most common on the RMB (spamming, flaming, etc.), and leave the rest to trial. And of course, all residents should be empowered to appeal to the COnclave, or have someone appeal on their behalf.”

I would like to see these concerns addressed or frankly I cannot support this.

— Begin quote from ____

1: Is 60 days enough to find all the discrepancies, draft the amendment, discuss it, motion it to a vote, and then vote on it?

2: “Citizens may not be banned or ejected from the East Pacific without just cause for any reason not stated in law or this Concordat.” is probably better as “ Citizens may not be banned or ejected from the East Pacific without just cause or for any reason not stated in law or this Concordat.” Idk tho, it just doesn’t sound too good.

3: Can you provide for me and everyone else, as a refresher, how this affects the process of banning and ejection?

— End quote

1. I think it could be. I think most of the laws are terminology changes. We’re not making new laws but brining laws into compliance of the Concordat. I just felt the Concordat was missing giving the region time to adjust to changes. It’s silly to draft laws before something that could be rejected by the voters has passed. So this is open to discussion. We could set it between 60-90 days or leave it open to as soon as possible.

2. Works for me too. I’ll update it.

3. From current system to new system? If the government charges you with a crime you get a trial. If you break a law, let’s say the endo cap, and you get ejected then you can request a hearing. By breaking the endo cap and the Viziers follow the law in the proper steps then they have just cause to remove you from the region. So really not that much.

Apologies for the double post, but this also needs to be addressed (not to you, but in general).

A lot of people have been saying that any resident-rights proposal would make it so that we need a trial for every resident. Let me say this: if this is what this proposal will do, I am against it. Because I agree with those people. It’s impractical. The RMB suffers from spammers every day. From trolls. Having a trial or hearing for every single one of them is impossible and a waste of time.

However, a comprehensive resident-rights proposal does not need a trial for every offense. If we play this smart, we can make it so that the vast majority of offenses that are common to the RMB do not need a trial- including for Citizens. Before anyone reacts with shock, look at this:

— Begin quote from ____

…4.3- All advertisers/recruiters shall be considered to be committing a summary offense, and may face summary punishment from the Delegate, including but not limited to message suppression, ejection, and/or banishment from the East Pacific.

……4.3.1- All residents reserve the right to appeal this punishment to the Conclave.

— End quote

— Begin quote from ____

…4.1- Any nation who becomes an Endorsement Cap Violator shall be “Notified” by a Compliance Officer via an in-game telegram and a mention in an in-game dispatch for at least 3 days before any in-game action is taken.

…4.3- The Viziers may temporarily suspend punishment under this Act for no more than fourteen days if the offending nation has proven a willingness to comply with the Cap.

— End quote

And, to a https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/the_east_pacific/review-a-review-for-potential-action-t14782-s15.html#p138580:

— Begin quote from ____

…3.1- Viziers and the Delegate can deny entry or residence to any nation it has deemed a significant risk to the Region.
…3.2- Viziers may override Delegate’s decision.
…3.3- Nations banned or ejected from The East Pacific without having been sentenced by the Conclave to ejection or banishment have the right to seek appeal before Conclave.

— End quote

We have already have the ability to ban the current rendition of Citizens without trial, with the understanding that these bans can be appealed to the Conclave. This concept exists in our law- at the very least in the Endorsement Caps Act. All it takes is an amendment to the RMBRA to make its offenses able to be executed without trial, and suddenly we have a working resident rights system where residents can enjoy the same rights in the justice system as Citizens do, but we don’t sacrifice practicality too much. More serious offenses like “treason” or “voter fraud” or “Award fraud” will be dealt with via trial, but things like spam, harassment, endorsement caps, advertising will be dealt with on the field by ROs, with Conclave appeal being possible.

Now, there is the question of whether this is wanted. Some people worry that these offenses (which used to be called “summary offenses” in TEP law) could lead to the Delegate abusing them. To which I say: this is why we have appeals. This is why we’re a democracy- it is the duty of the citizens to hold the Delegate accountable. If no one can raise a hand to say “this is wrong and doesn’t match the law”, then we are doomed as a region. Democracies cannot survive without accountability. So while I do understand the concerns in that this may bring Citizens to abuse, factually speaking is that so long as we maintain the right to appeal via trial, then Citizens always have a way out. Abuse is also unlikely in the first place, so I think it’s a risk worth taking.

Now, secondly, we need to consider the forum vs game-side divide. How can we get it so that residents, most who don’t give a crap about our forums, can utilize these rights? Or barring that, how can we enable others to appeal/fight on their behalf?

Frankly, I’ll state that the former is impossible. Most residents won’t care about the forums, and some may be unable to use them. We will just have to notify them about their rights when they’re banned or ejected and see if they use them. But the latter option is possible. In that regard, I direct you to the Standing Orders of the Conclave, specifically Standing Orders of Conclave - The East Pacific - Tapatalk, where “Civil Trials” exist, which are “official challenges to government legislation or action by a citizen”. Under both our current system and a resident rights system, Citizens can clearly challenge the government if it abuses a law and falsely bans someone under an untriable offense. So in cases where residents are unable to utilize the forums, any ol’ Citizen/Registered Voter can appeal directly on their behalf.

So in other words, we have the tools, the legal concepts, and the ability to make a region that acts fairly when dealing with all residents. The system I would propose is as follows:
A) We should include somewhere that Citizens (residents in Em’s proposal) can put any government official on trial. What the right to trial means is broad, and it is entirely possible that the COnclave could one day remove the concept of CIvil Trials- so they should be enshrined in the Concordat.
B) Should Em’s proposal pass, we amend the RMBRA to make spam and harrassment bannable offense without trial, but with Conclave trial appeal.
C) Remember that any Citizen can challenge the government in a trial, so worries about abuse of these untrialable offenses is unwarranted if we trust in our region to maintain its democracy.
D) Get rid of hearings. Throw them in the trash. Everyone should get trials only when applicable. Hearings suck. Hearings bad.

Additionally, there may be some concerns with the legality of these untrialable or what used to be called “summary offenses”. Well, we can just amend the Concordat, it isn’t a big deal. They’ve been constitutional before, they can be again.

Sorry for the textwall, but these are my full thoughts on this matter and how I, personally, think we can create a system that actually works.

— Begin quote from ____

While I did and so support resident rights in principle, I have issues this this proposal.

A) It is simply unnecessary to change “Citizen” to “Registered Voter”. I understand the point is for clarity, but one can argue that it’s even more confusing because now “Registered Voters” can be in government while “Citizens” cannot- what? The “Citizen” and “Resident” split is perfectly fine for this, and won’t require us to have to amend so much law for such a small and really unnessecary change.

On a personal note, “Registered Voter” does not sound good.

B) I am completely against the switch from trial to hearing. A hearing is so much less unprotected- I would prefer our current system of trial for citizens and hearing for residents, versus hearing for all.

A hearing has:

• No procedures regarding evidence
  • Much more stricter turn-times for parties
  • Viceroy can deny a case by themselves (versus whole Conclave denying a full-trial)
  • Lack of scheduling flexibility

(The Arbiters can correct me on this, but this is what I see when reviewing the SOC.)

In other words, hearings are bs compared to trials. This change should not happen.

C) As I said in Discord: “In reality, the only way any a resident rights for all proposal will work is if we give the Delegate discretionary powers to ban nations for offenses most common on the RMB (spamming, flaming, etc.), and leave the rest to trial. And of course, all residents should be empowered to appeal to the COnclave, or have someone appeal on their behalf.”

I would like to see these concerns addressed or frankly I cannot support this.

— End quote

An ideal and the implementation of an ideal are quite different unfortunately.

A) I think it is very necessary. The clarity needs to be added and it needs to be accurate to the meaning. Registered Voters could be seen as a placeholder. It’s terminology open to suggestion. I would also like to know where you found that only Registered Voters can be in government? As previously suggested, by yourself, voter registration should be voter registration and a government application together. The government application is for positions that are above an executive staffer. Executive policy would simply become permanent that residents can serve in select areas of the executive and not at the will of the Delegate.

I said going into this that it would be comprehensive and a major overhaul. If we’re going to do this – we should do it the right way. We shouldn’t half… it because it would be easier. Imho.

B) Then it will be up to the Conclave to bring the SOC into the new age of a new Concordat. The Magisterium can pass a resolution to lobby the Conclave as it has before with IRV should it come down to it. The Magisterium has other ways to make change in the Conclave but I don’t think we need to not ABS6 (am I channeling ASBS??? lol) anyone. I think the Conclave can change with the region as it always has. It’s not some dead fish rotting on the beach. It’s a very much alive institution that’s surfing the waves.

C) The only problem with this sentiment is that “resident rights” are not a thing in this proposal. It’s a United Citizenry. Near equal rights for all. Everyone is a citizen by default. I will refer you back to the Concordat that empowers the Magisterium to enact laws in relation of the banishment of nations from the region. The solution is that the Magisterium passes a law and Executive or Praesidum executes it.

A) “Registered Voter” does in no way imply that individual can serve in higher-office government (seeing as I misread your proposal which is my bad). I can see your point in that it clarifies the meaning so that you know only said individuals can vote. But the meaning is unclear in regard to government participation. “Citizen” is much more clearer because in democracies in NS and the world, that word typically indicates that said individual can both vote and serve in higher government.

I fully agree that just because something is easier does not mean it should be done. Otherwise, I wouldn’t support resident rights or unified citizenry or whatever- it’s so much easier not to deal with all this. But I also feel that practicality has to play a strong part, and making the terms that define our region even more unclear, and giving us more work in the process, isn’t helping anything.

B) Or, we can just let everyone appeal via trial. Easier solution, practical solution.

C) Yeah, makes sense.

I’m going to be frank here and state that this all seems to be, again, unpractical for no good reason. “Registered Voter” is very clear on who can vote but it is also unclear, based on the term itself, if a “Registered Voter” can participate in higher-level government. So if both RV and “Citizen” are unclear, I’d rather take the easier approach to this, and using terms we’re familiar with, than new terms that make our lives harder for no good reason. Same thing with hearings/trials: what’s the point? Trials aren’t difficult proceedures- we barely get any. Just give everyone a trial, no need for this “hearing”/“trial” business anymore. That stuff was created as a compromise to resident rights. So if we’re going full steam, “hearings” should be eliminated.

— Begin quote from ____

A) “Registered Voter” does in no way imply that individual can serve in higher-office government (seeing as I misread your proposal which is my bad). I can see your point in that it clarifies the meaning so that you know only said individuals can vote. But the meaning is unclear in regard to government participation. “Citizen” is much more clearer because in democracies in NS and the world, that word typically indicates that said individual can both vote and serve in higher government.

I fully agree that just because something is easier does not mean it should be done. Otherwise, I wouldn’t support resident rights or unified citizenry or whatever- it’s so much easier not to deal with all this. But I also feel that practicality has to play a strong part, and making the terms that define our region even more unclear, and giving us more work in the process, isn’t helping anything.

B) Or, we can just let everyone appeal via trial. Easier solution, practical solution.

C) Yeah, makes sense.

I’m going to be frank here and state that this all seems to be, again, unpractical for no good reason. “Registered Voter” is very clear on who can vote but it is also unclear, based on the term itself, if a “Registered Voter” can participate in higher-level government. So if both RV and “Citizen” are unclear, I’d rather take the easier approach to this, and using terms we’re familiar with, than new terms that make our lives harder for no good reason. Same thing with hearings/trials: what’s the point? Trials aren’t difficult proceedures- we barely get any. Just give everyone a trial, no need for this “hearing”/“trial” business anymore. That stuff was created as a compromise to resident rights. So if we’re going full steam, “hearings” should be eliminated.

— End quote

A) Neither does Citizen. If we’re drawing irl comparisons being a citizen, in the US, does not mean you can do either without additional steps. Whether it be voter registration or a background check for security clearance. With the way our laws are written you can’t apply “citizen” universally. In NS, the only well known example that is similar to this, is TSP and this proposal is different.

Then what’s your suggestion for clarity if we can’t apply “citizen” universally?

B/C That’s a reasonable compromise. Hearings can be on the chop block.

— Begin quote from ____

— Begin quote from ____

A) “Registered Voter” does in no way imply that individual can serve in higher-office government (seeing as I misread your proposal which is my bad). I can see your point in that it clarifies the meaning so that you know only said individuals can vote. But the meaning is unclear in regard to government participation. “Citizen” is much more clearer because in democracies in NS and the world, that word typically indicates that said individual can both vote and serve in higher government.

I fully agree that just because something is easier does not mean it should be done. Otherwise, I wouldn’t support resident rights or unified citizenry or whatever- it’s so much easier not to deal with all this. But I also feel that practicality has to play a strong part, and making the terms that define our region even more unclear, and giving us more work in the process, isn’t helping anything.

C) Yeah, makes sense.

— End quote

A) Neither does Citizen. If we’re drawing irl comparisons being a citizen, in the US, does not mean you can do either without additional steps. Whether it be voter registration or a background check for security clearance. With the way our laws are written you can’t apply “citizen” universally. In NS, the only well known example that is similar to this, is TSP and this proposal is different.

Then what’s your suggestion for clarity if we can’t apply “citizen” universally?

B/C That’s a reasonable compromise. Hearings can be on the chop block.

— End quote

Who says we can’t apply it everywhere? Who says we want the term “Citizenship” to apply it everywhere? “Resident” is universal enough. “Citizen” is just for voting registration and higher-government. If every term gives us no clarity, and therefore there’s not benefit to changing the terms, then what’s the absolute point? None. That’s what.

My suggestion is literally just keep the terms as-is. As an example:

— Begin quote from ____

Section 1) Each CitizenResident shall be given a swift and impartial trial by the Conclave if an indictment is made against them. Additionally, any CitizenResident may appeal to the Conclave via trial on any government action taken against them. CitizensResidents may not be banned or ejected for any reason not stated in law or this Concordat.

Section 2) Each CitizenResident shall not be tried twice for the same offence nor forced to self-incriminate. CitizensResidents shall have the right of representation by adequate counsel to enforce these rights.

Section 3) Each CitizenResident shall be free to serve in any office in the East Pacific, as limited by World Assembly Membership and Citizenship requirements.

Section 4) Each Citizen may submit to the Magisterium any form of legislative proposal for public debate and Magisterium vote, excluding those which may only be proposed by a specific governmental office or branch as according to this Concordat or statutory law.

Section 5) No title shall be granted which does not confer upon the holder practical responsibility in government, other than that of Citizen or Resident of the East Pacific.

Section 6) Each Resident may leave the Region freely. Citizens who leave the Region shall have their citizenship suspended and/or removed as according to law. Additionally, Citizens who leave the Region shall surrender all governmental roles.

— End quote

Simple. Efficient. No confusing terms, no confusing words.

But if you still wish to continue on with changing these terms, despite the lack of benefit and no practicality to it, you should use a term besides “Registered Voter” because again, sounds ugly. Maybe Burgher? IDK, just please not Registered Voter. I’m being petty here but I do not want to be called a “Registered Voter of the East Pacific”.

In my own Amendment to literally everything, I used the terms “Registered Citizen” and “Resident Citizen” in place of Citizen and Resident, respectively.

My reasoning is that we want the people to know that they already are part of TEP, from the moment they moved or were generated here. Having a divide between Resident and Citizen feels off.

I don’t like hearings, so I’m in favor of having trials for serious offenses. We do need to define which offenses are worthy of a trial and which ones aren’t, however.

— Begin quote from ____

In my own Amendment to literally everything, I used the terms “Registered Citizen” and “Resident Citizen” in place of Citizen and Resident, respectively.

My reasoning is that we want the people to know that they already are part of TEP, from the moment they moved or were generated here. Having a divide between Resident and Citizen feels off.

— End quote

I get the reasoning but those terms are also unclear.

Functionally speaking, the only way to fully cut-off the divide between the two is simply merge the two positions into one. Obviously for security reasons, that will never happen. Barring that, we need distinct terms, which I feel “Registered Citizen” and “Resident Citizen” don’t serve well in terms of distinction. But we also should have terms that sound good- which is subjective but I think most people would not want to be known as Registered Voter/Citizen. It’s a clunky term.

— Begin quote from ____

I don’t like hearings, so I’m in favor of having trials for serious offenses. We do need to define which offenses are worthy of a trial and which ones aren’t, however.

— End quote

As Em said, can and is already done within law

— Begin quote from ____

Functionally speaking, the only way to fully cut-off the divide between the two is simply merge the two positions into one. Obviously for security reasons, that will never happen. Barring that, we need distinct terms, which I feel “Registered Citizen” and “Resident Citizen” don’t serve well in terms of distinction. But we also should have terms that sound good- which is subjective but I think most people would not want to be known as Registered Voter/Citizen. It’s a clunky term.

— End quote

Maybe it’s because I’m tired, but I don’t understand your reasoning.

My understanding of this issue is that everyone will get the right to a trial, and the ability to exercise the protections of the Concordat, effectively making them Citizens. Also, they can get Forum RP access at any time.

However, only those who register gets to participate in government, and vote on referendums and stuff.

What is the “security reason” here?

— Begin quote from ____

— Begin quote from ____

— End quote

Maybe it’s because I’m tired, but I don’t understand your reasoning.

My understanding of this issue is that everyone will get the right to a trial, and the ability to exercise the protections of the Concordat, effectively making them Citizens. Also, they can get Forum RP access at any time.

However, only those who register gets to participate in government, and vote on referendums and stuff.

What is the “security reason” here?

— End quote

That’s it- the security reason is to prevent duplicate identities for government and voting. Using current terms, we’re only shifting part of what makes a Citizen a Citizen to Residents. But Residents will never be Citizens unless they ratify the Concordat and have that ratification recognized (naturalization). Or to use Em’s terms, Citizens (residents) will never be Registered Voters (currently Citizens) without ratifying the Conk.
Forum RP access, while promoted as part of current Citizenship, is really a decision left to Forum RP. Giving Forum RP access to all residents doesn’t really change what a Citizen versus a Resident is, because Forum RP access is not a right specifically granted by the Concordat, but rather a third party utilizing citizenship as a security measure, which they are allowed to do.

If we want to cut-off any divide between the two positions (Citizen/Resident or Registered Voter/Citizen), then either we a) eradicate the concept of “residents” from our law entirely and treat any entity that doesn’t ratify our Concordat as not under our law or b) make it so that any resident who spawns in TEP enjoys the full right to vote and participate in government as well as trial.

A is something not many people want nowadays, or this proposal wouldn’t exist. B is a security concern because we would have no way of blocking someone from voting with multiple resident identities. Hence, “Citizenship” or as Em calls it, “Voter Registership”, exists to filter those people to only those whose identities we can verify. Which is where I’m saying is that Citizenship/Voter Registership is a screening process and thus is naturally divisive. We can’t really erase that divide, even with similar terms, due to that process.

Ok sorry for my fit a few days ago when this was initially proposed. I still don’t believe the change is beneficial, but really it’s just a terminology change and doesn’t really matter in the long-run. Apologies for my rudeness in that, Em, and thank you for doing this in the first place.

I do have some other suggestions.

For the re-name to the Preasidium, I would suggest something like this:

— Begin quote from ____

Article D: ViziersSecurity

Section 1) The ViziersPraesidium shall be invested the responsibilities of regional security, stability, and continuity of government. It shall be composed of Viziers. Viziers shall maintain a high level of endorsements in the region and serve for an indefinite period.

Section 2) The ViziersPraesidium shall be charged with removing from power any Delegate suspended by the Magisterium, guilty of a summary or indictable offence, or any individual that has illegally seized the Delegacy.

Section 3) The ViziersPraesidium shall elect from among the Viziersthemselves a Grand Vizier, who shall preside over the ViziersPraesidium and represent it to the Magisterium, the Executive, and the Conclave. The Grand Vizier shall oversee the security of the region as determined by this Concordat and the Standing Orders of the Viziers Praesidium.

Section 4) The ViziersPraesidium may temporarily suspend the Delegate if 2/3 of Viziers believe beyond a reasonable doubt that the Delegate has acted to destroy this Concordat. The temporary suspension must be confirmed within seventy-two hours by a decision of the Conclave. This suspension shall be considered an Indictment for High Treason as prosecuted by the ViziersGrand Vizier or designee. The suspension and Indictment shall be lifted by a non-guilty verdict of the Conclave, a 2/3 vote of Viziers, or a 4/5 vote of the Magisterium.

Section 5) Upon the suspension of a Delegate, the Vizier which replaces the Delegate shall become Acting Delegate for the remainder of the suspension, unless another Vizier is chosen as Acting Delegate by the Magisterium. A Vizier shall not be considered as serving concurrently as Delegate if serving as an Acting Delegate.

— End quote

Mainly to keep the format in-line with the rest of the Concordat and formalize the Praesidium as the branch name, which seems to be your goal here.

For Article E, I would suggest simply changing “Voter Registration” to “Registration” to keep it simpler.

If the Magisterium fails to amend all relevant law before the 60 days are terminated, what happens?

All I can think of for now~

Section 3) The Viziers Praesidium shall elect from among the Viziers themselves a Grand Vizier, who shall preside over the Viziers Praesidium sand represent it to the Magisterium, the Executive, and the Conclave. The Grand Vizier shall oversee the security of the region as determined by this Concordat and the Standing Orders of the Viziers Praesidium.

Small thing. Change the “sand” to “and”

Will have more to say about it later. Brain distracted

No. Don’t change this terminology. We will have to amend all of the laws. It’s also less clear and straightforward. Everyone knows what a “citizen” vs. a “resident” is.

— Begin quote from ____

No. Don’t change this terminology. We will have to amend all of the laws. It’s also less clear and straightforward. Everyone knows what a “citizen” vs. a “resident” is.

— End quote

I don’t view having to amend all the laws as a valid argument for not having these reforms. Keywords of comprehensive and overhaul were use for a reason during the discussion period. This isn’t a little band-aid fix.

While the terminology is foreign to us, they are fairly straightforward, and I understand that it can be uncomfortable doing something new after all these years.

My goal is near equal rights for everyone in the region. And I don’t think using current terms work due to how long they have been used. Let’s do something fresh.

FTR I still agree with AMOM on this

Mmmm… Might f*ck around and undo the Conk amendment that removed summary offenses.

— Begin quote from ____

FTR I still agree with AMOM on this

— End quote

Since this proposal is about a unified near equal rights citizenship… then let me ask the obvious questions:

1. How would you call a Resident a Citizen?

2. What would you called a Citizen that can vote and become a full member of government?