Aftermath

(OOC: Stratarin has an interesting custom for the funeral of sailors killed in a battle. Since the vast sea served as their grave, they would engrave a large stone slab with the names of every man lost in that battle, in order of rank, then alphabetically, and lay it into a field near to the sea. Finally, they would host the funeral next to the slab.)

Coyden, 0900 hours, 12.19.16, five days after the cease fire

There were too many names.

Too many sons and daughters that departed their parents. Too many husbands and wives that departed their spouses. Too many fathers and mothers that departed their children. Anatoly Baryshnikov, Primary Minister of Defense and War, had felt the guilt of sending servicemen and women to their deaths for as long as he could remember. It was his job to not let that deter him, and he rarely did. He would reason that it was for the greater good of Stratarin.

But not today. Today, the blood of the five-hundred forty-nine sailors who had perished in battle was completely on him.

Anatoly had been in quite a number of wars. Never had they been more pointless than this. He turned his attention back to the speaker, guilt weighing heavily on him.

“…these men and women lived honorably and died valiantly. They served their country well, and…”

No, they didn’t. Nothing in this war served Stratarin. Not a single thing. Myriad Station had been destroyed. Debris now needed desperately to be cleared. The Strataric space program was effectively shut down for the time being.

And there were five-hundred forty-nine lives squandered.

He looked around at the considerable crowd that gathered. They all probably hated him. And well they should, as he almost hated himself. Shaking his head to clear away such thoughts, he realised the speaker had nigh finished.

“…finally, as these ships of the 1st fleet…” the speaker gestured towards 3 vessels visible from shore, “…perform a final salute to our fallen comrades, I will recite the ‘Sailor’s Lament.’”

The sailors attending the funeral in ceremonial uniform removed their hats as the crowd stood in respect for the traditional Strataric poem. The speaker cleared his throat.

I followed the wind and waves’ calling;
Shamelessly departed my land.
But one day, my country, I shall return,
And once more on your beaches stand.

BOOM! The noise was almost deafening, even at this range, as each ship fired once perfectly in unison.

O! Stratarin! You have been a good home and a friend.
One day I’ll find my way back to your harbors again.

BOOM! In precise fashion befitting the Strataric navy, they again fired at exactly the same moment.

I long for the tall ice-crowned mountains.
The lush forests I dearly miss.
To see you once again, my country,
Is now my one and only wish.

BOOM! The third volley sounded in the distance.

O! Stratarin! You have been a good friend and a home.
When at last I return to you I’ll no longer roam.

BOOM! The ships fired a fourth time.

I left behind my friends, kith, and kin,
And the prettiest girl you’ll meet.
I’m certain I’ll see them again some day.
I simply won’t accept defeat.

BOOM! For the fifth time in a row, the ships fired simultaneously.

One day I’ll find my way back to your harbors again.

BOOM! The sixth volley was fired.

By now, sea is all I remember
Stratarin grows faint in my mind
I still madly cling to the desperate hope
That your shores I’ll one day find

BOOM! The final salute having been fired, all was now silent save the final verses of the poem.

I hope before I return my story doesn’t end.

The speaker, who had read the poem without so much as a stutter, discreetly brushed a tear from his cheek and announced, “Thank you all for coming.”

Without another moment spent, Anatoly turned and strode away. To an onlooker, it would seem as though he were carrying the world on his shoulders.

Government Building, Coyden, 1400 hours

Anatoly worked through his daily government responsibilities in a daze. He didn’t let himself concentrate too long on anything else. Already, the Coyden Harbinger reported some disgruntled civilians were calling, perhaps not unjustly, for his head.

After his last piece of paperwork, his desk was clear. There were no more duties of his today.

Anatoly placed his face slowly into his hands. His lack of sleep recently had begun to catch up with him. Perhaps he should just return to his home for the time being and rest. Dreamless, guiltless rest as a reprieve from depressing reality.

As he walked down the long hallways towards the exit, he accidentally brushed against a disheveled excuse for a man. Since he was in no mood for mercy, he turned to give the man a reprimand…

…and recognized his clothing as the formal uniform of a minister. Incredibly ruffled, with the several medals adorning it not hanging straight, but most definitely that of a minister.

Anatoly immediately looked up at the man’s face. He could’ve sworn that he had never seen him before. Why, what minister had a shaggy beard, bleary eyes, and kept himself in such a state of disrepair? Something about him was familiar… bozhe moi.

“Luka?” Anatoly ventured.

Realizing whom he had bumped into, Luka Dreykov, Minister of Space Exploration and Research, straightened. “Anatoly.”

“Are you alright?” Anatoly asked, then inhaled sharply. The stench of Wodka definitely hung heavily about. “What happened to you?” He glanced around for Luka’s ever present assistant and wife. “And where’s Klara?”

With a sullen tone Anatoly had never heard from him before, Luka replied, “Why do you care?” then continued his journey down the hall.

Anatoly just stared after him for several seconds, then leaned against the nearest wall and slowly slid down it. This was too much. Luka had been one of the most cheerful, clever people he’d had the pleasure of working with. Had the minister really let Drugov cutting his budget affect him to such a degree?

Which only happened because of this accursed war …that I started.

“The most trying part of a war is never the beginning. The most trying part of a war is never the middle. The most trying part of a war is never the end. No, the most trying part of a war is when the tortured souls come home, when the loss sinks in, when those who have been changed attempt to fit back into their daily lives. The most trying part of a war is the aftermath.” -Pavel Bulgakov, Ancient Strataric Philosopher[edit_reason]Spaced out the paragraphs[/edit_reason]

Executive Administration Building, Aura
Emberwood Coast, 1349, 12.17.2016, just before the meetings.

Nimona padded down the stairs to the 220th floor of the Administration building. As she went to pick up lunch from the food court, she felt the stares of too many military strategists. Who advised against this and that. Who she was meant to listen to. Even her conversations with Lance had grown tense in nature. As she’d done every day since the ceasefire, she took her lunch and returned to her office.

And of course, Koan Summers was waiting for her.

“Madame President, I need more funding.”

“Not. Now. Koan.”

“The Restoration missions are-”

“I said not fucking now!! How is that so hard to understand, goddamnit!?” She blushed with the force of her outburst and buried her face in her arms and laid her head on her desk.

“Yes. We need to get the missions off the ground. But the meetings aren’t done yet, so I don’t have anything for you.”

Koan then left without a sound.

She’d stood solemnly for three hours at the memorial ceremony yesterday. Fourty four shots from the Aura’s railguns still rung in her ears, and not because of the sound. She cried for hours in her study late last night, careful not to wake her wife. A tear for every soldier, she thought, as she’d slumped over her desk at home.

Now she was just mad. Mad at herself for going through with this. This nation wasn’t built for war, it was a bastion of peace and freedom.
And she singlehandedly fucked that up.

She cleaned herself up, and began her trip to the Continental Assembly building for the meeting.

Coyden, 1600 hours, 12.26.16

The sound of clipped, precise footfalls echoed as someone entered Minister Luka Dreykov’s office. Slumped in his chair, Luka raised his bleary eyes and recognized Mikhail Starikov, Minister of Law Enforcement.

“Ministrr…” Luka coughed, shook his head, and attempted to sit up. “What can I do frr you?”

Starikov took in Luka’s unkempt beard, bloodshot eyes, slurred speech, and poor posture with the utmost contempt. Of course, he didn’t allow it to show through, and smiled at his fellow minister with the most sincere smile you could imagine.

“I merely came to offer you a gift, my friend.”

Luka attempted to raise his eyebrow, only succeeding in slightly fluttering it. “What gift?”

Strarikov produced a QSZ-92 pistol from his coat and placed in on Luka’s desk. “I wish for your suffering to end.”

Luka looked up in alarm. “Ecksplln…” he coughed again, “explain.”

Like a tiger eyeing a chital deer, Starikov assessed his prey. “Tell me, my friend, how is your bride Klara?”

Luka stood, stumbled slightly, then used the desk to help him regain his balance. “Whatshittoya?”

“I am merely trying to help you. Now tell me,” his voice darkened. “How is she?”

Regaining some of his former eloquence, Luka replied, “I haven’t… well… sheen her in a little while. We’re… we’re shtill married, just… just apart.”

Smiling with quiet triumph, Starikov asked, “Who wouldn’t separate from a drunk like you?” Before Luka had a chance to responds, Starikov continued. “You see, my friend, you are in great pain. And that is causing others around you great pain. This has to end, of course. If you were to be… removed… from the equation, their pain would end, and so would yours.”

“You’re… ashking me to kill myself? Do you think… me a fool?”

“Yes, I do. And so does Klara, most likely. And so do your colleagues. And so do your neighbours. And so does any poor soul who lays eyes on a once proud man falling to such a low.” He sat down leisurely. “In Klara’s case, she clearly doesn’t love you anymore.”

“No…” Luka resisted the poisonous thought. “She… Klara…” he faltered.

“No one will miss you, Luka. And you will finally be free. Take the gun. Use it.”

Starikov rose, turned and left the room, leaving Luka a wretched mess. Moments later, he heard the unmistakable sound of a gunshot and smiled ruthlessly.

One down…[edit_reason]Added date and spaces[/edit_reason]

Coyden, 1200 hours, 02.18.17

Drugov walked down the hallway he was so very well acquainted with by now, hearing the chatter around him as politicians discussed various plights and issues.

“…a tax increase should be able…”

“…fridge owl infestation in the Zakon i Poryadok Building…”

“…relations with Setzna…”

He sighed wearily. These last few months, with the various crises he had faced, had started to take a toll.

Opening the door to his office, he entered and slumped into his chair, rubbing his eyes. No sooner had he settled then there was a knock on the door.

“Come,” he summoned, straightening his posture. Is it Anatoly? Rurik?

In stepped Primary Ministress of Sciences Pravda Lilova.

“Ah, Pravda,” he greeted her. “Your visits are so few and far between. What is the occasion?”

Pravda was in no mood for pleasantries. “54 days, Drugov,” she said, in a voice few would dare use with the General Secretary. “That’s how long I’ve had no Minister of Space Exploration and Research.”

Drugov raised his eyes to meet hers. “Adjust your tone,” he said, voice calm, yet laced with steel. Satisfied that she glanced away, he continued. “It’s been a trying two months. Our allies seem to leap at the opportunity of causing international incidents, and Celannica’s isolationism has me worried.”

“I understand,” she replied, more subdued. Clearing her throat, she remarked, “Still, this should have long since been settled.”

Drugov nodded. “Do you have a candidate in mind?”

A small smile crept across her face. “As a matter of fact, I was thinking of Klara.”

“Dreykova? The wife of… the deceased?”

“No one knew more about how he operated than she did.”

“Do you think she may be emotionally unfit?”

Pravda shrugged. “At this point, she’s the best choice for the job.”

After a moment, Drugov nodded. “Do what you must.”

“Thank you, sir!” With a salute and a twirl, she was gone.

Drugov watched her leave, then picked up a nearby bottle of Wodka and poured himself a glass.