[AMENDMENT] Amendment to the Citizenship Act

Aight, so with the fight going down in Government-plaza, I have written an amendment to prevent this very thing from happening again.

…3.7. Clauses 3.2 and 3.5Continuous World Assembly membership requirements shall not apply to any active soldier of the Eastern Pacific Sovereign Army (“EPSA”) as verified by the Overseeing Officer. The active EPSA soldier must notify the Citizenship office within one week of joining EPSA.

…3.8 The Overseeing Officer is mandated to upkeep an updated list of EPSA soldiers for the Citizenship Office to review. If the Overseeing Officer does not keep an updated list, they shall be in dereliction of duty.

First of all, Citizenship is the responsibility of the holder. You, the holder, had to sign up for it. Secondly, 3.8 allows for the Citizenship Office, in the event that something fucky wucky happens, to have a list of Active EPSA soldiers to fall back on.

Any questions?

Why would the EPSA soldier be required to notify if there is already an EPSA register? It would just be redundant as the Citizenship Office can check the register at audit.

The Act in general needs a rewrite considering everything that was discussed in #government-plaza.

I don’t understand why redundancy is a bad thing. This allows for a fail safe, for example, if you join EPSA within a couple days of an Audit, or if you would be absent for an extended time.

Redundancy also prevents more issues arising later. it’s the fail safe. You forgot to notify the Citizenship Office, Citizenship Office checks Active EPSA members list, citizenship gets saved and/or gets put on a list for removal.

Again, I ask, why is redundancy a terribly thing to have?

It’s usually not, but there’s no enforcement mechanism for the EPSA soldier. It puts the onus on the OO.

I think we should make 3.7 clearer. As it reads, one interpretation seems to read that continuous TEP residency is not required for EPSA citizens.

Which is what you were arguing for in government-plaza is for the onus to be on the OO.

Although if you were to interpret the Citizenship Act one way, the onus on the solider is their loss of citizenship.

and how would you suggest rephrasing it?

Clauses 3.2 and 3.5Continuous World Assembly membership requirements shall not apply to any active soldier of the Eastern Pacific Sovereign Army (“EPSA”) as verified by the Overseeing Officer. The active EPSA soldier must notify the Citizenship Office within one week of joining EPSA.”

I actually think it should be on the Citizenship Office, but that would still require the OO keeping the list. I don’t think a soldier should lose their citizenship because the OO is being derelict in their duty to keep a list.

Redundancy is a waste of time. Any EPSA soldier will be on the register which can be checked at audit to save their Citizenship. Notification is useless here.

From your amendment, forgetting to notify the Citizenship Office does not save a Citizenship since 3.7 exemptions only apply after notification.

I’m against pushing the burden onto lesser government roles. EPSA soldiers should not have to worry about this. These things should be made as easy as possible for them. This should be on the Citizenship Office and the Overseeing Officer.

It’s not the job of CO officers, who are basically all busy with other duties as well, to patrol every TEP space for incidental evidence that someone has joined or left EPSA. If EPSA can guarantee that their rolls will be maintained meticulously and makes them available to all CO officers, that’s another thing, but frankly I prefer the fail-safe approach of having EPSA folks just write a couple words out in the app thread.

A simpler approach is for the first step to be the Citizenship Office to check against the register at audit or ask the Overseeing Officer to check if a suspended Citizen is a soldier before publicly posting the audit.

Only then, if the first step fails, the audit should be posted publicly and then the soldier should notify the Citizenship Office. Whether this occurs in the thread or Discord shouldn’t matter as long as the Citizenship Office records that they received notification and then confirmation from the Overseeing Officer in the thread.

Noting discussion on this had died down and I have also not voiced comments, I will post thoughts before asking for final opinions.

Firstly, It is of my understanding of the legal TEP law that the owner of Citizenship is the sole party for upkeep of Citizenship. The role of the Citizenship Audit is to make sure that citizenships are up to date, which is why we have a 48 hour window to make corrects to citizenships before they are revoked.

I have also updated the original post with the edits Aivintis gave as World Assembly requirements are not required when in EPSA, but residency within TEP is still required.

I hereby motion this to a vote.

I second the motion to vote.