[AMENDMENT] SOM Rewrite

The SOM is long, poorly worded, and redundant in some sections. It needs fixing. I have re-written it but aimed to change nothing about how the Magisterium functions. It is supposed to be just a simplification and clarification rewrite. Anyone have objections or suggestions to the rewrite?

Sentences have been simplified and capitilisation has been made consistent.

Removes old 1.2 since this is redundant and the SOM rather plainly states it’s the Provost’s responsibility to handle admittance.

Clarification regarding meeting the requirements of 1.1’s subsections in new 1.2 and new 1.3.

Old 1.5 is removed as the SOM cannot dictate to the Conclave what it will do and the Concordat states that any Citizen can appeal a government action taken against them so restating it here is redundant.

“(“EPSA”)” was added as well however Discourse is not letting me highlight it green.

Simplified and consistent wording and capitilisation. Sentence simplifications.

Removed nonsense reference to 4.8 regarding absent sponsors.

2.5 is completely rewritten.

New 2.6 renders section 9 unnecessary.

More simplifications.

More simplifications.

4.4.3 seems strange. I don’t understand what it intends. I could not simplify it.

This entire section is cut. Quorum, as I understand, is meant to only apply to votes, not for every Magisterial function. A quorum provision is already in the voting section making this section useless.

5.1 is completely rewritten.

Other changes are simplfications.

6.2.1 is unclear to me in intent. I could not simplify it further.

More simplifications.

Merged into section 2.

Looks to be good

You did a great job. I support it.

starting from where i left off in discord, in section 2:

1. in 2.7, a “minimum of three days” should be “minimum of 72 hours”. we do things in hours here. and tbh it’s clearer, because hours are much more objective than days as tools of measurement.

section 3 stuff:

1. what’s the point of changing March 30th to the last day of March (same for rest but it’s quicker to pull an example)? there’s never gonna be a leap year to complicate it. and i mean, it’s easier to say quantitatively when it is than qualitatively imo. (3.1.1)

2. 3.2, back to 96 hours pls. same argument as for 72 hours.

3. 3.2.3, first of all, there’s two “must”s in there

4. 3.4, pls for the love of god make 3 days 72 hours again i am begging you

5. 3.4.2!!! 72 hours!!! please!!!

6. 3.4.3!!! i can’t stand it!!! im screaming!!!

section 4 stuff:

1. 4.2.1, can has comma before “if”?

2. on 4.4.3….basically what i understand it to be saying is “Quorum shall be considered achieved during votes in which additional requirements are explicitly set by the Concordat” because whoever wrote it didnt want the SOM’s ideas of quorum to fuck up a concordatially mandated requirement which might mess with traditional procedure

section 5 stuff:

1. ftr you didnt number it 5.1, 5.2, etc. you left it as 6.1, 6.2, etc. despite renumbering the section itself

2. while we’re touching closed sessions…… why should there be a vote on whether or not something should be considered in closed session? why cant it just go with a second? wouldnt that make more sense for urgent or sensitive material? idk, what do you think? tbh i find it quite silly that something has to happen to move a matter into closed session bc it means that the matter itself is talked about in public before it’s moved into the closed session. so like if we wanna repeal a treaty with fnr because we think they’re smelly, they’ll know we’re trying to repeal the treaty, even if they dont know that its because we think theyre smelly. i mean treaties probably dont apply bc the FPC exists but you understand my meaning?

3. 6.2, while removing “whole” just remove “committee of the Magisterium”. how about “The Foreign Policy Committee is established as a meeting of the Magisterium to discuss matters of treaty and war, and it shall meet in closed session.” Calling it “committee of the whole Magisterium” or even “committee of the Magisterium” reeks of a base structure that the Magisterium just doesnt have. It’s almost definitely taken from the US Committee of the Whole idea, and the US legislative structure of committees dealing with specific matters. Or another country that does it that way. That’s not how TEP works, so IMO we shouldnt emulate that in the wording here.

section 6 stuff:

1. again, numbering is not altered to reflect the removal of the old section 5

2. 7.1, 72 hours, ykwim

3. 7.3.1, is the “regular” modifier necessary? regular provost elections are called provost elections, special provost elections are called special provost elections, so they are still distinguished by the terminology. and nowhere else is the “regular” modifier stuck before “provost elections”. ykw this goes for 7.3 too. but basically yeah my point is calling it “regular” feels redundant and superfluous and unnecessary. i’d prefer using the actual terms.

section 7 stuff, god the som are longer than i thought:

1. AAAAA take away the week leave the 168 hours pls. expanding more on my reasoning, you dont know where to start with “days” or “weeks” really and so you have to specify “1 week from the time it starts” right but thats not actually a week that just happens to be the same length as one, right? idk it’s weird i think, but my brain is weird and i just think having it in terms of hours means we know exactly when it is. (8.1)

2. 8.2.3, the reason “and/or following EPSA orders” was added is because sometimes non-soldiers go on operations. the “civilian militia” as we called it, participated in major operations such as the Phoenix Flock Fleet liberation of South Pacific and Smol Fur Empire and Operation Boom Beach. these ppl went out on EPSA orders, without being EPSA soldiers, and we wanted to protect their Magister status. so i think it should stay.

fuck okay that’s all.

sorry for the overload. some of it is really nitpicky but yeah.

To summarise the changes made in response to Aivintis’ suggestions:

1. I considered it to still be clear it meant all Viziers to begin with but I have changed it regardless.
  2. The acronym has to be defined before being used so I expanded the first instance and added a bracket to define the acronym.
  3. I consider “EPSA” to also mean “the EPSA” under the correct context. Fixed nontheless.
  4. Done.
  5. It has been cut out.
  1. Changed.
  2. Done.
  3. Done.
  4. Done.
  5. Done.
  6. As stated in 2., done.
  1. I’m completely resistant to using hours. We can all agree that a day is 24 hours. Days is also a more comprehensible time format for me and, I assume, for most people. I cannot fathom 168 or 72 hours except as 7 and 3 days.
  1. This is more to get rid of what I considered excessive numbers. It can be reverted if people prefer the old way.
  2. (This is 3., Discourse is insisting otherwise for some reason) Fixed.
  1. You may.
  1. Corrected. Funnily enough, the current SOM section IX has this mistake as well.
  2. This proposal is only a clarification and simplification rewrite. I don’t want it delayed by proposals to change how the Magisterium functions.
  3. Rewritten.
  1. Changed.
  1. Reintroduced.

Thank you for the feedback.

Comments

Section 1

none, some slight nitpicks on whether or not the Provost gets the ability to deny people who was not able to fulfill the conditions of 1.1, but like its so minor it chill

Section 2

2.1.4 - I’m torn on whether or not the Standing Orders Amendment should be one of the ways we exercise legislative action. On one hand, the SOM isn’t necessarily a law, so we aren’t really legislating anything. On the other, it has legal powers thanks to the Concordat, so we might actually be affecting the legal body by amending it?

SOs, the piece of legislation stuck in the grey zone of law. Oh how I hate it.

Section 3

not sure with the shift from hours to days here but meh. Agreeing with Aivintis here. Days feels too imprecise. im neutral on it.

Section 4

4.4.3’s main goal is to ensure that if the Concordat requires a supermajority, such as when appointing Arbiters and Viziers, the Standing Orders do not override that requirement, however will require a quorum.

Section 5

Soft Disagree. A definition of a quorum I feel is necessary in order to further clarify what is meant by a “quorum” is from the voting section. It keeps it explicit in ensuring that a vote is ineffective if only a subset of people actually voted. However, I can see your point, I can accept cutting it.

Section 6

none

Section 7

7.2.1 details the procedure in the event of a Provost being motioned to be removed. A Deputy Provost shall assume the Provost role and host a vote as to whether the Provost is removed or not. If it passes, then a Special Provost Election occurs.

Section 8

none

Section 9

Please see Section 2 for my thoughts on this.

Overall, it’s alright, I didn’t see any big holes that would blow up the Magisterium if this passed. Very nitpicky, but it should be ok.

Motion to vote.

Seconded.

Acknowledged.

Vote here: [A-2023-34] Rewrite of the Standing Orders of the Magisterium

Without having read everything, I can state I agree with Mangegneithe that time frames should be stated in hours. Or better state the end time as a date and time into UTC. Because if you just state a number of days, when will it end? When a date is passed?
Or do you mean days of exactly 24 hours, starting from the time of a certain notification (a post, presumably)?