An Unexpected Turn

— Begin quote from ____

To the leadership of Pax-Draconica,

The Northern Gondwana Union seeks to initiate diplomatic talks between itself and the Pax-Draconica. The purpose of these talks is a military and economic alliance, as strange as it might sound. Our place amongst nations such as the Free Pacific States, South Hills, and Vekaiyu, Aelitia, and numerous others has left our populace and government disgruntled. To conduct these talks, our first offer is a meeting in Cape Hope’s Union Building, headquarters of the Union. If the location is not suitable, we are willing to send a team of representatives to the Pax homeland, which said diplomatic talks can be held. Included in the team is the Union’s elected leader, President of the Gondwanian Commission Lucius Breggan. Another member included is the President of the Gondwanian Military Council, Ronald Tusk.

It is with high concerns that this meeting were to be conducted with secrecy, for concerns of the economic market and of potential interference from other nations. It is also with concern that the delegation have it’s security force included for the protection of the Presidents.

We thank you for your time and await your response with high esteem.

Northern Gondwana Union Department of Foreign Affairs

— End quote

Earmarked for tomorrow response.

To the Northern Gondwana Union Department of Foreign Affairs
From the office of Pax foreign affairs, Miku presiding

Greetings from the Pax. I have received your communication, and find it quite satisfying. As you know, Pax relations with the states mentioned previously has been strained at best, and outright hostile at worst. I believe that greater ties between us can bring benefits to both. I will personally attend these talks. As for secrecy, please be aware that any transport to or from the Pax is most likely heavily monitored. I will attempt to detour through Prussian ports on a Prussian diplomatic transport. Simply provide a date and we will accomodate.

Miku-
Pax overlord of diplomatic affairs

— Begin quote from ____

To the Office of Pax Foreign Affairs,

We are grateful for your response, and after deliberation, we agree on the method of transportation to Prussia. It is with great hope that talks will begin as soon as possible. There is no set date, thanks to this meeting being set Priority 1 where everything is to be dropped and attention diverted as soon as possible.

Thank you for your timely response and we look forward to the talks.

Northern Gondwana Union Department of Foreign Affairs

— End quote

Cape Hope’s Union Building, Grand Forum

President of the Gondwanian Commission, Lucius Breggan, and President of the Gondwanian Military Council, Ronald Tusk, sat at a Massassi table. The table was intricately made, and was a grand example of privilege. Native only to the Veridian Islands, it’s worth is apparent through the grain of the wood. The waves mostly went in knots, a side effect of the Massassi tree during it’s growth cycle. Such trees would stand for thousands of years, strong in it’s own conviction and never falter in storms.

Despite the irony of the Massassi-made table, changes were to be made. Lucius looked at his watch and began to straighten his pinstripe suit. His mind wandered off in thought, “Any minute now the representative of the Pax will go through the central doors. What should I ask? How the trip was, any problems, hope they enjoy it here? What about them? Why are they so mystical and such an unknown despite all the attention?”

The doors then opened, swinging on the well oiled hinges, perhaps a little too well oiled. Two of the formal greeters stood at the door with their heads bowed. Lucius and his military counterpart stood up in respect for their coming guest. These individuals towered at their respective heights of 6’7" and 6’8". Despite their height, they looked every bit the normal human figure.

Miku walked through the door. She was flanked by her assistant, a female Neko of short stature. The Neko stood no taller than 5’2" and had a calico complexion. Miku herself was using the cybernetic body she most favored. Standing 5’ with auburn hair and green eyes, she moved with an awkward gait. One could hear the body’s servos if it was quiet.

Miku smiled.

“Greetings. Please forgive me if I appear awkward. I was not born with a physical body, and am not used to this yet.”
She turned to her left.
“This is my assistant Alya. I hope she is not an inconvenience.”
She bowed her head slightly.
“I do hope this proves fruitful. I mean no offense when I say it, but I was surprised at your proposal.”

Lucius and Ronald extended a hand in a handshake across the table. Breggan responded, “And greetings to you two, my name is Lucius Breggan and this is Ronald Tusk. I apologize about the lack of a welcoming committee. While I will say this, welcome to the Northern Gondwana Union and please take a seat.”

After the four had taken a seat at the table, the main doors were shut. Not a single soul aside from the four existed inside the forum. After the two men straightened their suits, Lucius continued, “I will say I was also surprised, but it came at the suggestion of my counterpart Ronald. Since this is a private conversation, I will lay the cards bare. Lately we’ve been having a bit of political unrest from the populace about our relationship with other nations like South Hills, Vekaiyu, and namely Aelitia. We wanted to extend a hand in greetings and possibly forging a positive relationship with the Pax, forgive me if that isn’t the proper terminology.”

Tusk interrupted by leaning on the Massassi table with his elbows, “What my friend is trying to say, we aren’t particularly happy with how other nations have treated us. You were the first foreign delegation that actually traveled here in an attempt to promote a positive relationship after our request. What we are seeking is quite possibly a positive economic relationship between our respective interests, and we wanted to discuss the topic of aligning ourselves with the Pax and Prussia. Societally we have almost little to no differences with Prussia, and so to our Union, it makes no sense to have them as rivals.”

With that, Ronald leaned back, the wood table remaining it’s rigid self.

8th floor, Liara Times, 67th Street, Aura
Emberwood Coast, 1321 Hours, 12.5.2016

Laura Eisenheart pressed her editor to change the headline for today. Her disheveled appearance was manifested in the way her leather vest hung askew, her jeans sported open holes, and her camisol incompletely hid her undergarments. Her hands developed into fists as she stomped over to their office. Once she had her mess of lime green hair parted, she glared down the shorter enby with the force of ten thousand rustled journalists.

“I’m telling you, Sam. ‘Northern Gondwana Union Joins the Pax?’ That’s bound to get us attention!”
“A-2 is not going to go unread! ‘Student Attacked at Tilden Island School’ is going to be the headline. That poor girl…”
“You can’t throw out this lead! It’s the best story I’ve ever gotten.”
“It’s gonna be the last story you ever get if you keep trying to push this unfounded foxcrap. I won’t have it in my publication. You of all people-”
“You can’t throw out the transmission-”
“I can and I will! You can’t throw out clearly edited-”
“It was NOT edited!”
“There were unencrypted patterns all over it, someone clearly tampered with the file. You’re the fuckin robot, how couldn’t-”
"Shut up! Just listen to it one more-
“No!” Sam exploded. “Fuck, no. I can’t have this argument again. First it was zombies, then stolen nuclear reactors, is there no end to the tabloid shit you’ll dig into!?” They pushed their spindly fingers through their hair. “No, Laura. That’s final.”
Laura stared blankly at them and then gritted her teeth. “You know what? Fine. Fuck it. I’m going over there to find out the truth.” She tore off her press badge and chucked it at her (former) editor, the dangling contraption of plastic and metal clinking as it impacted the window of Sam’s office. Right leg, left leg, she strode out of the news agency to reach the rail station.
“And don’t you try to stop me!” She’d called over her shoulder, at the indifferent but startled office full of people typing away stories for the evening edition of the Aura Sun Times.

That little bastard. They didn’t know a story from a scribble of crayon. She stuffed shirt after shirt into a duffel, getting herself ready for a 3-day expedition to the NGU to grab proof of her story for the whole world, especially that stuck-up asshat, to see.
Her things sort of packed, she dressed herself (in a forest green hoodie, a pair of black jeans, and a set of knee-high sneakers). She pulled up the ticket on her phone and left her apartment, careful to lock the door before she went.

The rail ride to the airport was brief, her face pressed against the plasticine window of the car as it blurred the surroundings to reach the outsides of Aura. North Aura International airport was a looming, graceful structure that curved up and over in a utilitarian fashion the taxiway and hangars, shadowing the airplanes and other vehicles from the beaming early-summer sun. The rail station was cool, and lead right into the main concourse of the airport. After presenting her ticket and passing through the security point, she strode down to gate 77C, where her plane to Cape Hope was docked. A monitor overhead read that the plane was 68% full, so she proceeded on and took a seat near the window.

Here I go.

Miku cocked her head slightly to the side.
“I understand where your feelings come from. The Pax have been mistrusted since we first established ourselves here. Through many decades of strife, we have reached the point where the nations of Urth are forced to tolerate us, but I hope to change that.”
She righter herself and smiled.
“Prussia has been a wonderful ally to the Pax, and I hope the choose to join us fully in the future. For now tough, we are happy to have tem as friends, as we would be happy to have your people as friends of the Pax as well. Economically, it would be a boon to both sides. I must ask if you have any experience dealing with a state run economy though? It can be a bit daunting, but by no means unfair in regards to trade.”
Ayla’s ears moved to face forward, as she leaned in towards the table.
“Miku tends to get ahead of herself, as do most of us Pax at times. I would like to clarify a bit… What kind of relationships are you proposing to bring about to the Pax? I assume we are not speaking of outright ascension, correct?”

OOC: By ascension, full assimilation. Essentially joining the union as Drakkenguard did as a Hive state.

Tusk raised a grey eyebrow up, the rest of his ragged face remained the same. Slowly it went down and he leaned into Lucius, holding up a folder as a filter to whisper behind, “Ascension is definitely a no go. We like ourselves too much to do such a act, and we aren’t a damned lapdog to switch laps.”

With that, Ronald rotated his head to listen. Lucius Breggan responded quietly, “Agreed, economic and military only. It’ll take heat off from north but we’ll have heat to deal with East and West.”

The leader of the Military Council furthered that talking point, “Yes, but we keep them down the street, not next door.”

Both men retracted back to a formal stance on sitting at the negotiating table. Ronald set down the folder with a light flop. Lucius spoke up in a pleasant tone, “We do agree that the Pax are misunderstood and seek to eliminate any falsities regarding that. As to economic partnerships or the sort, which will have to be hashed out at a later date with our subordinates and peers, it is very much a goal we would reach for. While as a union, the NGU tends to stray away from an entirely state-controlled market, there are aspects present. Trading with another nation that practices such isn’t a mystery to us, considering deals have been done with various tin-pot dictatorships to the south of us.”

Ronald Tusk began his statement after getting the nod from his counterpart, “There have been some rumbles about a friendly military relationship too. However, it would be an awkward position considering our existing stance with the Free Pacific States. Namely coming to their defense in a event of war.”

Tusk’s topic was followed up by Lucius, “Economics is our main goal, namely trade and technology. In regards to technology, we wanted to ask about the connection to the hivemind. While everyone is connected to the hivemind in Pax-Draconia, our citizens are more private and would most certainly revolt. Is there by any chance something of the sort could be applied but on a much smaller scale? What are the implications of such?”

Miku pulled up a chart and projected it up for the room to see.

“Gentlemen, to the first point, this is a forecast on the agricultural products the Pax estimate will be needed in the upcoming years. If you would note the numbers to the right, this is what we expect to pay for said products. I am sure your producers would have a field day if trade was normalized.”

She moved the chart to the side, and brought out folders. She placed them on the table in front of her.

“Now, I expect that we all understand that everything in this room is confidential.” Miku said while opening her copy of the folder.
“What you have in front of you, is paperwork being finalized in the FPS blue house, and the East Malaysian Imperial Court enacting a formal non aggression and non interference treaty between the three parties listed. I have no doubts that this will eventually be ratified in all three nations respective assemblies. Quite frankly, we have nothing to gain from going to war with the FPS, and the main sticking point of Cuttersville should be resolved with this treaty, as with a formal Pax recognition of the Lyon state.”

Miku nodded to Ayla as she let the room absorb the information she had presented.
Ayla spoke up.
“As for the Hive, there are only two points we are truly insistent on.” She raised her index finger. “First, We expect to be allowed to build a Hive node in each of your main territorial bodies, for the convenience of any drone in the GU. Secondly,” Ayla put up her next finger “We expect there to be no legal objections for any citizen who wishes to join the Hive voluntarily.” Ayla stressed voluntarily.
“We do have provisions for non-assimilated entities to use the Hive, although it works in a fundamentally different manner. The Allegheny were working on augmentation technologies before their assimilation, that we could provide you, that would allow temporary access to the Hive for citizens of your nation.”
Ayla smiled.
“While I try not to sound like a proselytizing missionary, there really is no loss of self when joining the Hive. The worst that happens is a severe sense of peer pressure from those around you.”

Lucius fought the urge to raise his eyebrows at the agricultural charts, the sheer numbers needed to sate the appetite. Demand was obviously there, and the NGU’s agricultural section of the economy would boom. Secondary and Tertiary market booms would follow, so it made sense. In Breggan’s mind, it was a greenlight.

The military council leader opened up the confidential folder. Several pages were flipped through. Tusk’s stoic face raised to his co-leader and nodded slightly over the revelation of non-aggression talks being held between the Pax and Free Pacific States. To the President of the Gondwanian Commission, that was high praise coming from a man who never smiled.

After listening to the rest of the other side’s talking points, Breggan thought over his response. His lips parted, “Well there will be no disagreement on the building of a Hive node in our territories, including those wanting to join the Hive voluntarily. We are wanting to use a similar off-shoot of the Hive for the Union in government and military roles. While the idea of joining the hive is appreciated, our citizens have grown too far used to being with the Union. That would be in general, however…”

Tusk interrupted in a gravely voice, “I’ll dispense with the bushbeating from my friend. Privacy of our citizens being the primary reasons why we are hesitant about joining the Hive. This augmentation that allows temporary connection to the Hive would be beneficial, considering that those who want a shield for whatever they do behind the bedroom doors or inside their house. More about the augmentation would have to be discussed in a more thorough meeting with the rest of the Commission.”

Breggan shot Tusk a dirty look, who just shrugged it off. After a minute or two, Lucius finally spoke, “What my counterpart said, would be very bluntly accurate.”

The President of the Gondwanian Commission sighed before resuming once again, “It seems we are sorta in agreement which future delegations could be sent to help formalize and finalize our future relationship. Is there any future topics that should be talked about?”

Johan van Zandt walked with authority down the hotel hallway. At his side was partner Abigale Nozzo, two year cop on the beat recently transferred to Johan’s squad. Johan continued until reaching the hotel room, door number 536.

He knocked on the door with the underside of his fist, slamming almost. Nozzo had her hand on the issued handgun in case if something went sideways. They were tall to a foreigner, the male at 6’7" and the woman at 6’4". In Johan’s hand was a warrent, one of many that was printed like candy by the Legal Department for the deportation of foreigners. He started yelling while pounding on the door, “Laura Eisenheart! This is Agent van Zandt! We need to talk to you about your visa!”

After he finished his statement, Johan stood there and starting thinking, “Seven years with the Federal Investigative Administration, solving murders and catching serial killers, and here I am playing babysitter…”

Laura traipsed casually through a market, careful to blend in and keep to herself. The deportation order wasn’t gonna stop her from getting this story, not on her life.
She wandered past the edge of the marketplace and toward what looked like a government building, careful to be sure she wasn’t being followed. At least, not that she saw. She’d been clutching her pistol in her handbag ever since she left the hotel, except to push through the dense crowds in the city. She kept her steps even and her breath steady with music as she traveled through the city, now essentially on the run from authorities. Won’t let that stop me, though.

van Zandt decided he had enough of waiting and signaled his partner to open the door. The hotel clerk was kind enough to provide a key for the door, which was used. Quickly he drew his handgun, and held it at the ready.

With a satisfying click, the lock was undone. Nozzo turned the handle and forced it open. van Zandt was the first one through, heading immediately into the bathroom on the right to clear it. Abigale went straight forward to check the rest of the room. Both of them yelled ‘clear’ and holstered their firearms.

Nozzo commented, “Seems that she ain’t planning on leaving. Bags are still here, food on the desk looks cold.”

van Zandt exited the bathroom and started giving the room a once over. The walls were clean, bed was messy, bags were open, a neat pile of dirty clothes in the corner, and what looks like Vekaiyun kikale in a waxpaper box. He walked over to the food and stuck his finger in it, clearly not hygienic, but it was telling.

“Ummm, boss? That’s someone’s food?”

“She left fourty minutes to an hour ago. There’s no meat so she could leave this out for two hours and then fridge it and not get sick,” he stated, retracting his finger to clean it on a nearby cloth before resuming, “Get on the horn with Central and get an APB out for her.”

With that, Nozzo got her phone out to make the call, “Central, this is Agent Abigale Nozzo. We need an APB out for Laura Eisenheart… Yes, illegal visitor… Alright, thanks.”

“Nozzo, look through her bag and see if there’s anything. Check for receipts, anything.”

“Ummm, boss?”

van Zandt shot her a look of annoyance, “What?”

Nozzo held up a handgun box that gun stores sold them in, along with an ammo box.

Laura got a funny sidelong glance from an officer on a street corner, but he kept looking and didn’t approach her. She sighed and pushed closer to the government building, stealthily unsheathing her phone and beginning to take photos of a set of black vehicles outside. Could that be a hive ambassador’s motorcade? No… They’d never be so obvious.[edit_reason]Can’t english do good.[/edit_reason]

Miku closed the folder in front of her.

“I do believe we have a good framework started. Unless you want to go over specifics of military access, port usage rights, and air carrier access to Pax airspace?”

Ayla smirked and rolled her eyes. She knew that she would spend days drafting those documents after the bigwigs shook hands and smiled at each other.

Lucius deliberated mentally for a few minutes over the topics Miku brought up. The silence wasn’t broken until Tusk spoke up, “Military access and air carrier access to Pax Airspace would be good, port usage rights including. Just don’t send an entire military force over our way. If you want to deploy bases, that will have to be agreed upon by the entirety of the Military Council and the Commission. Joint military exercises will have to be discussed with the Military Council, after all the paperwork is done.”

Lucius nodded in agreement, an unusual thing of him. He was always the type to open his mouth and say something.

Tusk resumed, “Let us settle on a future date where all of us can have a formal meeting, instead of informal. Shall we?”

Miku smiled.
“It appears that we have reached a consensus then. I will eagerly await the official treaties when they are negotiated in full.”
She lowered her voice a bit.
“While it may not technically be the time to share this, I will share it anyway.”
Miku pushed a small storage drive foward. Ayla could only stare at Miku.
“Think of this as a gesture of goodwill. Things on this continent are heating up, especially with an unusually agressive neighbor to your south. I suggest you go over the contents of that drive, on a secure device of course, as soon as you have a chance.”

Miku grinned and spoke up again.
“If we are concluded here, I will take my leave. It seems that I may be needed elsewhere shortly. If it is acceptable, Ayla would like to play the role of tourist for awhile. She has had little chance to leave the Pax lands, and is curious of the shopping here.”

Ayla tried to maintain her graces, but her ears turned foward at the mention of a short vacation.

The drive contains a short description of Pax first strike (WMD) weaponry, along with the targeting information on the Tripatriate force that was moving to invade. It also contains documents promissing support if negotiaions between the NGU and Trip go south. (IE Pax make boom) There are also contracts for weaponry and infrastructure items if the NGU decided to “safeguard” the Maxtopians and Bigtopians themselves.

Eisenheart discreetly snapped photos of the parked motorcade. Concealed in the underbrush of a nearby garden plot, she laid in wait for someone to exit the building.