Auroran-Oan Diplomatic Conference

La Rochelle Diplomatic Conference
[hr]

The Oan Isles is inviting all member nations of the Auroran Continental Assembly for a Conference in the city of La Rochelle.

We were honoured to receive an invitation from Tuvaltastan to join the Auroran Continental Assembly (which can be found http://forum.theeastpacific.com/single/?p=10013435&t=7004598). We are greatly humbled by the honour. We could not, however, accept this invitation without carefully pondering the political, economic, social, ecological and other ramifications that accepting this invitation would precipitate. After an investigation of the internal workings of the Auroran Continental Assembly and of the countries that comprise it, we found several sticking points that may cause friction in the future. We have resolved to have a conference with the representatives of the ACA member states to better inform ourselves and subsequently negotiate ways around the barriers we identified.

We have noted the following areas of contention and graciously invite the other members of the ACA to clarify on our concerns, and correct us where the information we have collected is inaccurate, incomplete or misinterpreted, and to help us find ways over what we have seen. We believe that it is better to have a conference rather than individual negotiations to prevent conflicts of interest and incomplete procedures that may render our entry to the ACA void and frustrated.

Free Movement of Goods

The Oan Isles is a country that has limited agricultural land relative to the enormous population it has to feed. An external source of foodstuffs would be greatly appreciated to alleviate the strain our farmlands and infrastructure are under. Unfortunately our environment is extremely delicate and easily susceptible to destruction from alien plants and animals.

While it is a central tenet of the founding principles of the ACA, we cannot allow the import of crops or live animals or the potential diseases they may carry without further consultation. We would greatly appreciate the ability to control food imports. Would we be able to do so? Is an institutional structure in place to monitor food quality, safety and security within the ACA and if not may one be established?

Maize is a major food stuff. Dragonia for instance uses ethanol to fuel their cars. While this ethanol is NOT produced from maize, but from other plant materials such as grass or saw dust, we were afraid of the possibility of our farmers redirecting maize from domestic consumption for food to foreign consumption for fuel. We have a Treaty in place which restricts maize exports to Dragonia. This is a matter of food security. Would our treaty with Dragonia then be affected, by our entry into the ACA? Do other nations use fuels or products that may have the aforementioned effect? Would the members of the ACA be willing to compromise on this front?

The free movement of goods puts immense limits in place on the law enforcement capacity that is available to prevent narcotics and other illegal substances from entering the Oan Isles. What restrictions are available on that? Also if one substance or product is illegal in the Oan Isles, but legal in another country, can the Oan Isles restrict the import thereof?

In the Oan Isles civilians may not own or use projectile weapons such as guns (except in extraordinary circumstances). Does the free movement of goods restrict or permit these and if it permits them, may the Oan Isles place restrictions as it sees fit?

Alcoholic beverages, canabis and tobacco are products that the Oan Isles government has been trying to expunge for a long time. It has tried to restrict the consumption and import of these products. Will our right to do so be affected?

Free Travel of People

The Oan Isles is a nation that welcomes and, in fact, attributes its success and survival to cultural, ethnic, linguistic, religious and racial diversity. We are, however, wary of potential threats to our security and order. While one thing may be legal in another country, it may not be legal in the Oan Isles, in fact, it may even pose a risk to our national security. With that in mind, can the Oan Isles be allowed to deport potential threats or those people with criminal records or refuse them entry altogether?

Mutual Support in the Event of War

Our country is largely pacifist. We do not believe in war. Our large and technologically advanced armed forces serve a defensive and humanitarian role. We understand that war does occur and, while we pursue diplomatic means to end it, sometimes that is not always possible. In the event that a member nation is invaded without provocation, as stated in the founding principles of the ACA as a condition for such intervention, can we assist in other roles?

Axdel invests an enormous portion of its funding into the military particularly espionage and reconnaisance, and we suspect, by extension cyber espionage. Our nation’s electorate forms the legislature of our provinces. The debate, voting and proposal submission process is entirely digital as are vast processes such as record keeping and the control of essential infrastructure and public services. With that in mind, apart from the defensive measures we have in place, do we have some assurance that other nations, Axdel or otherwise will not threaten these vital processes?

Conclusion

We do not mean to impose, but we require these worries to be met. If these concerns are beyond the necessary criterion or are irreconcilable with the principles of the ACA that membership will require, May the Oan Isles then apply for special status within the Auroran Continental Assembly? This is indeed an honour to be invited, yet we must insure our interests are protected after all. Regardless of which, as in the spirit of our national motto “Continuez sans se soucier”, we will continue regardless in the pursuit of of strong relations with ALL members of the ACA, whatever the outcome of these discussions may be.

Being a founding ACA member I will pool in my knowledge.

— Begin quote from ____

The Oan Isles is a country that has limited agricultural land relative to the enormous population it has to feed. An external source of foodstuffs would be greatly appreciated to alleviate the strain our farmlands and infrastructure are under. Unfortunately our environment is extremely delicate and easily susceptible to destruction from alien plants and animals.

— End quote

Within reason, each ACA member has a free movement of goods law. Different ACA members do however have stricter laws than others. Whilst my country, Staynes, is very lenient on their goods (we do regulate a lot of illegal imports), some nations will be stricter and regulate specific food items. If this means that your country must heavily regulate food goods to protect your delicate and easily susceptible environment from destructive goods then we can allow such things, within reason.

— Begin quote from ____

While it is a central tenet of the founding principles of the ACA, we cannot allow the import of crops or live animals or the potential diseases they may carry without further consultation. We would greatly appreciate the ability to control food imports. Would we be able to do so? Is an institutional structure in place to monitor food quality, safety and security within the ACA and if not may one be established?

— End quote

You will have the ability to control food imports. An institutional structure is in place but I don’t think we have really delved deep into that sector. I think as a body we need to discuss this in more depth. Despite this there is a minimum food safety requirement set in stone. (ACA needs to discuss this).

— Begin quote from ____

Maize is a major food stuff. Dragonia for instance uses ethanol to fuel their cars. While this ethanol is NOT produced from maize, but from other plant materials such as grass or saw dust, we were afraid of the possibility of our farmers redirecting maize from domestic consumption for food to foreign consumption for fuel. We have a Treaty in place which restricts maize exports to Dragonia. This is a matter of food security. Would our treaty with Dragonia then be affected, by our entry into the ACA? Do other nations use fuels or products that may have the aforementioned effect? Would the members of the ACA be willing to compromise on this front?

— End quote

As far as I’m concerned, you can exclude yourself from the trade zone and prevent the trade of certain produce. The ACA is very similar in respects to the EU. I don’t know if I’m being too vague, tell me if I am.

— Begin quote from ____

The free movement of goods puts immense limits in place on the law enforcement capacity that is available to prevent narcotics and other illegal substances from entering the Oan Isles. What restrictions are available on that? Also if one substance or product is illegal in the Oan Isles, but legal in another country, can the Oan Isles restrict the import thereof?

— End quote

Likewise to the previous, you can prevent the trade of certain produce if it is illegal in your country. Different countries have different rules.

— Begin quote from ____

In the Oan Isles civilians may not own or use projectile weapons such as guns (except in extraordinary circumstances). Does the free movement of goods restrict or permit these and if it permits them, may the Oan Isles place restrictions as it sees fit?

— End quote

Well I think firearms are quite common within the Empire’s borders and a few other nations in the ACA, but based on the similarities to the previous two you will have full power over trade. So this wont effect you if you do not allow and regulate the use of firearms coming through your border.

— Begin quote from ____

Alcoholic beverages, canabis and tobacco are products that the Oan Isles government has been trying to expunge for a long time. It has tried to restrict the consumption and import of these products. Will our right to do so be affected?

— End quote

Yes. Your right to do so will be protected. But do consider that if you wish to join the ACA, you’ll find some people want to leave The Oan Isles because they feel as if your laws are harsher than other nations laws. But likewise with the previous, you have power over your trade.

— Begin quote from ____

The Oan Isles is a nation that welcomes and, in fact, attributes its success and survival to cultural, ethnic, linguistic, religious and racial diversity. We are, however, wary of potential threats to our security and order. While one thing may be legal in another country, it may not be legal in the Oan Isles, in fact, it may even pose a risk to our national security. With that in mind, can the Oan Isles be allowed to deport potential threats or those people with criminal records or refuse them entry altogether?

— End quote

Of course. You may refuse entry if you feel that certain individuals are a threat to your national security. However if you are deporting people, you (as well as countries IRL) must have a legitimate reason and provide transport/fees to cover the individual being sent back to his home country.
You cannot deport your own people (natives) if they’re a threat to national security, though.

— Begin quote from ____

Our country is largely pacifist. We do not believe in war. Our large and technologically advanced armed forces serve a defensive and humanitarian role. We understand that war does occur and, while we pursue diplomatic means to end it, sometimes that is not always possible. In the event that a member nation is invaded without provocation, as stated in the founding principles of the ACA as a condition for such intervention, can we assist in other roles?

— End quote

Absolutely! There are already some nations such as Oceansend City State that provide other assisting roles such as aiding with supplies, stock, and humanitarian.

— Begin quote from ____

We do not mean to impose, but we require these worries to be met. If these concerns are beyond the necessary criterion or are irreconcilable with the principles of the ACA that membership will require, May the Oan Isles then apply for special status within the Auroran Continental Assembly? This is indeed an honour to be invited, yet we must insure our interests are protected after all. Regardless of which, as in the spirit of our national motto “Continuez sans se soucier”, we will continue regardless in the pursuit of of strong relations with ALL members of the ACA, whatever the outcome of these discussions may be.

— End quote

Without a doubt. We see this as a friendly gesture and we encourage that you have concerns.
If the case ever arises that you require a “special status”, we will discuss what we as the ACA can do for you.

Thank you for your expressed concerns. I haven’t gone into much depth but instead just skimmed over. My only reason is because I want to get some sleep https://groups.tapatalk-cdn.com/smilies/52127/1536592189.7236-smiley.gif?ttinline=true
If you have more queries don’t hesitate to ask. I hope I have done some good in assisting you.

Thanks.

— Begin quote from ____

Axdel invests an enormous portion of its funding into the military particularly espionage and reconnaisance, and we suspect, by extension cyber espionage. Our nation’s electorate forms the legislature of our provinces. The debate, voting and proposal submission process is entirely digital as are vast processes such as record keeping and the control of essential infrastructure and public services. With that in mind, apart from the defensive measures we have in place, do we have some assurance that other nations, Axdel or otherwise will not threaten these vital processes?

— End quote

Whilst it is true that reconnaissance, espionage and cyber-warfare is a large part of our military and our military contribution to the ACA, we can assure the Oan Isles and their people that this resource will not be used antagonistically against them, as the founding purpose was originally to prevent future devastating conflict between member states, and doing so would be a direct violation of the set laws. Thus, by joining the ACA the Oan Isles will likely be at less risk from ‘intervention’ than whilst not. Additionally, since the formation of the ACA, neither Norograd or Axdel has performed a hostile attack on any other member state, including cyber attacks, and we do not intend to stain our clean record.

We hope this assures your nation that it’ll be safe inside the ACA and gladly welcome your entry. https://groups.tapatalk-cdn.com/smilies/52127/1536592186.2827-smiley.gif?ttinline=true

— Begin quote from ____

— End quote

Similar to the Oan Isles, Tivot is also a pacifist nation that has no military, and hasn’t put funding into such an organization since its conception. Tivot would willingly take the role of producing foodstuffs so that other ACA members can better focus on the war effort. In a similar manner, The Oan Isles could choose a role that would be neglected during wartime.

OOC: I think my concerns can be addressed in the RP of the founding of the ACA http://forum.theeastpacific.com/topic/7005219/. I hope that the founding members can hash it out. But who is going to RP the currently dormant nations like Xiopothos and Ethalria for example. If these nations remain dormant for a long time, future RP’ing will be difficult unless it can be resolved by saying, for example, that Xiopothos was hit by a nuclear weapon that wiped out its population and made it unihabitable. Except the two islands on the east. If Nimona approves I’d really like those :slight_smile:

— Begin quote from ____

OOC: I think my concerns can be addressed in the RP of the founding of the ACA http://forum.theeastpacific.com/topic/7005219/. I hope that the founding members can hash it out. But who is going to RP the currently dormant nations like Xiopothos and Ethalria for example. If these nations remain dormant for a long time, future RP’ing will be difficult unless it can be resolved by saying, for example, that Xiopothos was hit by a nuclear weapon that wiped out its population and made it unihabitable. Except the two islands on the east. If Nimona approves I’d really like those :slight_smile:

— End quote

OOC: I have a potential candidate for Ethalria. Xiopothos is a weird one, because the person who RP’s for it comes and goes at months at a time, but still does RP when they are here (Free Pacific States RP’s for Xiopothos, similar to how I RP for my four countries).

Well we are not sure the future of Xiopothos, but we know it remains on the map with all of its extremities. Ethalria is going to be kept on the map for a while until there’s something useful for it. But RPing in the past I’m sure we can find people.

Emberwood Coast will support the entrance of the Oan Isles, so long as the nation promises to abide by the accords, past and future, of the Assembly.