Battle of Ivessi

In the year of our Lord, 1000: pilgrims returning from the believed second coming rumored to take place in town of Odul, the place where St. Aiya first received her visions, began to return to their respective city-states. What awaited them was more of the same: overcrowding, disputes over land usage, and the ever-present force of the Vayan Catholic Church, which was still searching for a concrete identity after splitting form the Roman Catholic Church half a century ago. The return of such pilgrims caused tensions to mount in the city-states, many of which were looking to expand. While it was dangerous for one city state to attack another in a league, it was more feasible to attack a non-leagued city. Therefore, to be an unaffiliated city-state at this time was a dangerous position, and to those city-states which were eager to join a league, such matters took time, as the Pope had to approve, and riders were easily spotted by those who wanted to influence a city-state’s selection of a particular league.

Still, an influx of pilgrims returning meant an increase in monks and peasant workers, but also meant an increase to soldiers. Depending on the city-state, the majority of Vekaiyun armies wore light armor and were heavily dependent on speed rather than brute strength. It is this reason most Vekaiyun armies were well used to ambush attacks, choosing to skip the formal parlay typical for most battles, and why most had a sizable cavalry division. There was little chivalry in war; the most celebrated qualities were the often ornate and sometimes unnecessarily dangerous tactics used in battle. To the Vekaiyuns, a good general is one that outsmarts his enemy in a stupendous fashion of intellect and gives his glory to God after the battle won.

Vekaiyun soldiers typically wore leather armor with semi-plated jackets, plated skirts often going below the knee, pants, boots, forearm guards hammered out in an ornate fashion, semi-plated gloves, and a mask made of wood and (rarely) some type of metal. The most important feature of their armor was the mask, as it protected the face and ears during attacks, hid speech patterns, and intimidated opponents, often painted with grotesquely large eyes and demonic expressions. Prayers and holy symbols were often painted on the inside of the device; soldiers with cash would have the symbols written by monks in addition to their lovers. Overall, the armor was light, but again, the vulpine form of war was to be quick and maneuverable in war. In other words, suits of armor were very rare. Generally, Vekaiyuns relied heavily on horseback, speed, archers, and the ability to plan prior to battle. Infantry was regarded as honorable, honorable because Vekaiyun armor was no match against a suit of armor. Though, swords were constructed well, and long staffs with long, sharp blades proved effective at thinning lines and allowing the infantry to run through the lines.

Nevertheless, with all the background information put to light, I guess I can start the RP. Feel free to post, join in, whatever.

Chopping wood was always an arduous task as the fall months gave way to the hardships of winter. It was all so routine. His shoulder blades ground against his muscles making his back warm and sore. His arms ached from the hundreds of swings he had already taken against every chopped branch. His legs were like frozen tree trunks blending in with the edge of the expansive forest his village hugged. Still, it was a job, and he knew those around him were weaker than he was, so he did it without any complaints.

Pausing, the old Corellian gazed out to the forest in front of him. He was truly a rare sight anymore; his kind had practically moved to distant lands and conquered other territories centuries ago. While years ago people would have looked upon him with fear, times were different. Vekaiyuns had gained confidence in themselves, practically free to live as they pleased without his race warring against them. Sure, they were more war-like than the foxes, but for those who stayed behind from the migrations east, they were met with an uneasy feeling of acceptance to the Vekaiyun kind. And while they were much more powerful than them, most understood that one Vekaiyun is an easy task, but one could quickly turn to ten if they felt threatened. So he, like the other Corellians before him who stayed behind during the migration, developed a sort of symbiotic relationship with their former enemies.

He did little to blend in with his neighbors. His head was large and rather boxy, with a short protrusion jutting from his face to house his mouth and keep his eyes large while at the same time set back. His black hair was whispy, and it rolled over his scalp in the wind, from one large humanoid ear to the next, much like the beginnings of a beard spotted across his face. His gray skin caused him to stick out in the green and brown landscape, dotted with patches of snow. A massive head needed a large body and, while he was only slightly taller than a common vulpine, he was at least twice as thick as one, with hands nearly the width of one vulpine male.

As his pile of wood had been slowly completed, he gathered the pile together to better grip a large stack, but stopped when he noticed the signs of an army peaking over the hill. His guard lowered when upon closer inspection he noticed it was nothing more than a Vekaiyun army. Judging from the symbols on their chests and sheilds, it was probably from the city-state Eldura.

“Forges!” one of them called out. “Approach!”

He gave a nod and dropped the pile he had collected, walking up to the leader of the band, probably the general of the bunch.

“Ah, they told me we would find you here. Listen, I don’t have very much time, but years ago, you served our city during the battle of Sessasi’s Hill, during my father’s time. I was told your brilliance is what saved us from a possible invasion from the west, and that your hands could snap a collection of five men with one bend!” He looked down at the Corellian’s appendages with an awe-struck gaze. “I was told your guidance would be integral to our success. The Pope has already blessed our army but, I was wondering… if you would be willing to join us, once more, as we fight to incorporate the southern lands.”

Forges shook his head. “No… no, I don’t think I can do that. Fighting is for young men, and this is a young man’s world. My place is here now, among the trees and the villagers. The services I provided to your city was for a debt I owed long, long ago, before you were even born, but it had been paid off in full. I will send my blessings, but that is all I can offer you.”

“Surely you could assist us once more? Doing so would surely preserve peace for both our kinds, as the southern lands remain untamed and a haven for demons! God willing, it is our destiny to unite those lands and rule them in the name of our Almighty!”

“Please. My people have since moved on. I’m merely a relic of a time of war, and nothing more. I wish your people peace and strength, but your battles are your own now. Us Corellians will die off in these lands eventually, as will I, and I would hate to find you reliant upon me as I lie on my deathbed. Your God willing, you will one day unite not just the southern lands, but yourselves as well.” He looked behind him. “Now please, allow me to return to transporting lumber. You have my blessings, but that is all I can provide. Accept it and move on.”

The general looked back at his lines, then at Forges. “Alright, old man. We will accept your blessings, but I personally hope you change your mind. It will be a tough fight.”

“Have faith in your God,” he said with a smile. “Obviously if he is as powerful as you Vekaiyuns proclaim, he should be able to smash me to bits, let alone your opposition.”

“The Almighty works in mysterious ways, sir. It is when our desires are harmonized with his we are able to move mountains. But please, I ask you one final request: Eldura’s southern army is moving southward and, in a week’s time, should be at the gates of Ivessi. If… if you are to hear any details of other movements pertinent to our advancement, please send a rider southward, following the southern cross star formation by night. There he will meet with us.”

“That I can promise,” he replied. “Now, it is getting late. Let an old man finish his daily chores, yes?”

“Certainly,” the Vekaiyun added. “The Almighty be with you.”