Blindly Pointing at the Map

— Begin quote from ____

Premier Ankyola Bikongi,

Pursuant to the proper channels of conglomerate and formidable trade union that is the Vekaiyun Union, a collection of like-minded yet independent entities which strive toward expanding capabilities in both trade and defense among other benefits, we the representatives of this most powerful group do hereby invite your nation to engage in preliminary discussions for involvement and, with any luck, inclusion into this strong and independent union. We have monitored your nation and undergone feasibility studies to determine a best-fit scenario and we believe based on the results obtained that we would be not only able but willing to accommodate your unique nation into this group.

Speaking candidly, I, being the Premier of Vekaiyu, am aware of the checkered past that exists between our nations, and I seek to dispel any past involvement that may preclude negotiations and mend pressing issues between our nations. We are not interested in colonization. We simply want to establish a symbiotic relationship where one species helps another. I believe, given the proper consideration, we would be able to reach an understanding between our two nations that would be mutually beneficial toward both parties. It is my hope that such an endeavor would not be done in vain; on the contrary, we have much to prove that we are not one with our past notions. Allow me and my comrades to comfort you and dissuade any fears you may have.

In lieu of formal talks to begin this process, I beseech you, Premier Ankyola Bikongi, to consider this invitation and use it to engage in further discussion. All considered, we wish to strengthen our union and, in turn, strengthen your nation overall. I understand the gravity of this decision while accepting its vague precipes, but it is my personal hope that we can build off of this understanding and engage in further talks to soon unite under a common cause.

We should stay in close contact. I look forward to our next steps.

With best,
Ikrisia Levinile
Premier of Vekaiyu

— End quote

— Begin quote from ____

From the Desk of
Gen. Akyola Bikongi
President of Shango

Yo,

This be concerning to me. I won’t use the big Unonian words you used because that is just a ploy to hoodwink and confuse the peeps. Best be zooming us your ideas, or I’ll have to be telling the fur people to go fuck themselves. To quote the Unonian, you know.

We not be interested in your moolah for protectimessing our sacred lands. You know that. Me know that. And the presence of you fox peeps be mos concerning to me and my kin. You are not us by the biggest stretch. And we aren’t of you by the smallest stretch.

Vekaiyu is like the oil atop our water: not mixed and not welcome. Our reasons are the the stars in the sky - endless and ever-bright. So cease your sky-braining and head your mind back to the ground of the Urth. Shango is independent and is in no imposition to be seekin a joining. Not in ever. Not in never.

But I hope all is well. You’ve not done hoodwink to me so I unfuck your greeting.

Bye,
Gen. Akyola Bikongi
President of Shango

— End quote

“Senile lemurs,” Premier Levinile exclaimed after reading the response from the President of Shango. “Unnecessary and foolish, really. Especially with the current state of the world as imperialism continues to rule the day."

The Vekaiyun Minister of Foreign Affairs grimaced after reading the note. “This is unacceptable. No wonder they are as isolated as they are.”

“And yet they remain in an area that is subject to all sorts of sea craft. Perhaps it’s as she said, perhaps I’m using too many words to drive home my point.”

“What do you propose?”

“Making things a bit easier. There shouldn’t be this much resistance from a mutually-beneficial offer like the one we proposed. I… can understand their desire to remain neutral, but in this world, neutrality is hard to maintain.”

— Begin quote from ____

President Ankyola Bikongi,

My offer is simple: by joining our union, your nation would gain in terms of national security, defense, and trade. The Vekaiyun Union is known for its strengths in those key areas. Passing on this offer is not advisable, but if you prefer not to begin some discussion, we understand. As empires and imperialistic nations carve swathes of territory from the globe, it is only a matter of time before they approach your nation.

We are a union of sovereign states. Your sovereignty will not be jeopardized; instead, we want to foster your culture and ensure it is protected in exchange for some minor allowances. I can speak more to that, but I instead will point to the examples of Listonia, South Dveria, and Isklevyu. All three operate independently of our union, but they do not break the agreement that exists between our nations.

Again, I ask you to reconsider your decision. I am counting on you to accept a discussion.

With best,
Ikrisia Levinile
Premier of Vekaiyu

— End quote