Cecilia's Visit to Laiatan

OOC: Collab post between me and SY.

Stu opened up the front door, coming home several hours early. He removed his utility cap and stuffed it into one of his lower pant pockets. “Cecilia, I’m home early!”

She smiled as she was just finishing up sketching something. “So, how was work?”

“Not too bad, a lot more relaxed today. Whatcha got there,” Stu aked, kissing her cheek then looking at the sketch.

“Oh this.” She showed him some sketches of her sister’s dresses. “I was just working on some designs for my sister’s bridesmaid’s outfits.”

“Oh, cool!” He smiled as he looked at the sketches. “Do anything interesting today?”

“Well, I cooked lunch, so there should be some leftovers in the fridge. I watered your plants today as well. And started making a list of what we could put down at our wedding registry.”

“What do you have so far,” Stu asked as he started rummaging around in the fridge.

"Well, I was thinking of fine china, silverware and crystalware, linens, maybe silk I think. I know for certain we’re going to need pots and pan. Definitely, silverware and crystalware, so I’ll star those two. Um…Well, that’s about it. Can you think of anything else?’

Stu thought for a moment. “We could probably do with a new toaster. Maybe not necessarily silk sheets, but we could use some new sheets.” Stu began heating up some leftovers.

“Okay.” She scratched off the silk, remembering the fight she and Stu had had, so she decided not to argue. She jotted down the toaster. “Um…Let’s see now…How about some new fishing rods for you?”

“Maybe just one, I’ve got my lucky fishing rod. Still works just fine.”

“Okay.” She decided to put down just one rod. “Anything else?”

“No, that should be about it unless you think of something,” Stu replied as he began eating.

“Want to go ahead and go now,” Stu asked. “There’s a shop over on Ivanovich Street where we can get everything set up.”

“Sure.” She quickly went and changed clothes.

“Let’s go.” She made sure to have the list for the registry.

“Alright, let’s go.” Stu walked out with Cecilia and locked the door behind them. They went out to Stu’s car, and they drove to the shop. Stu parked the car out front and they went into the shop together. “Good afternoon, what can I do for you today,” a young lobo woman smiled from behind her desk, as an older lobo woman helped another customer.

“Hello. We are here to do a bridal registry,” Cecilia replied with a smile.

“Okay, here you are,” the woman handed Cecilia a clipboard and a pen with the registry. “Fill this out, then we can go through the album to choose the design.” She placed a large binder on the desk.

“Thank you.” She began to write down everything on her list. One thing she put on their were crystal angels. “My Vekaiyun grandmother used to tell me that every home needs a crystal angel. Well, I don’t know why, but I think it would look nice, don’t you think,” she asked Stu.

Stu nodded. “It does sound nice.”

She smiled, wagging her tail.

“Oh, and a new coffee maker,” Stu said.

“Okay. Yeah, you do need a new one.”

Stu chuckled. “Yeah, it’s kind of old.”

She smiled a bit. Jotting down that they needed a new coffee maker. “Almost finished.”

The woman behind the desk smiled. “Take your time, no rush.”

“Alright.” She turned to Stu. “Anything else?”

Stu thought for a moment and shook his head. “No, not that I can think of.”

“Okay.” She soon finished. “Alright. That should be it then.”

The lobo woman took the clipboard. “Okay, go ahead and select the design from here.” She pushed the binder of designs towards Stu and Cecilia.

“Hm…”

“See any you like,” Stu asked.

“Well, this one with the fleur-de-lis is good.”

“Oh yeah, that is a good one.”

“This one here with the roses and lilies is good too. Oh and so is the one with crescent moons and stars.” Cecilia then asked the clerk, “How many designs can I pick out?”

“You can pick out as many as you’d like,” the woman replied.

“Alright then. These five will work then.” She pointed to the fleur-de-lis, roses and lilies, crescent moons and stars, one with hearts and angels, and another one with different types of stars and starbursts designs.

“Okay.” The woman made a note of which ones Cecilia picked.

“Thank you.”

The woman nodded and smiled. “Not a problem.”

“That’ll be Ԅ309.” Stu pulled out his wallet and handed the woman his debit card. The woman processed the transaction and handed Stu back his card. “Okay, you’re all set.”

Stu smiled and thanked the woman as he and Cecilia left.

“That was good. So, what now?”

“Whatever you’d like,” Stu said as he climbed into the car with Cecilia.

“Let’s go to museum.”

“Okay,” Stu said as he began driving towards the museum.

"So, what happened at work?’

“Not too much, just had some paperwork today.”

“Oh what kind of paperwork?”

“Typical stuff. Order forms, requests, all that.”

“Okay. I’ve broken more pen and pencils than I can count from doing paperwork. Actually, I break them when an assistant or someone brings in a bunch more paperwork, and I already a mountain of papers to sign already!” She laughed.

“Ah, I know the feeling. Probably not as much as you, but nevertheless, it’s still a lot.” Stu laughed.

“Yep. No doubt about that.”

They pulled into the parking lot of the Museum of Early Laiatan History. “Well, here we are.” Stu got out and walked with Cecilia to the front, and bought two tickets. He received a military discount. The two entered the museum.

OOC: This is a collab post between myself and Vulshain.

IC:

Cecilia looked at the outside of the museum. “Impressive.”

Stu nodded as they went inside. “It’s pretty old, too.” They walked into the one of the first rooms, filled with early lobo skeletons, as well as a few skeletons of wolves. Above the displays were dates relative to the skeletons.

Cecilia read the dates as well as the information on the displays.

“This is the lobo origin room,” Stu said, looking at the several displays. “Fire wasn’t discovered by lobos until about the time humans did,” he continued as the two got closer to display featuring present-day lobos.

Cecilia followed him, looking at all of the displays.

They finished exploring the room, and headed into the next room, titled ‘Early Laiatan Kingdoms’. The room opened up and was split into several sections, each featuring a different kingdom. The two began in the corner closest to them, featuring the oldest known kingdom on record. In the center, one of the oldest copies of the Code of Zarubin on a large stone obelisk.

Cecilia adjusted her glasses. “Looks almost like the replica back home.”
She began reading it.

They walked up to the stele and were able to see it clearer. It was written in an early version of Lobonese. “It was discovered up north about 1898.”

She nodded.

“It was found by a likosologist named Yuri Westrovsky,” Stu continued, reading the inscription. He looked back up at the stele and examined it a bit closer. “A couple letters on here we don’t use anymore,” Stu said as he circled it, looking at several other plaques surrounding it, translating it into modern-day Lobonese.

Cecilia followed Stu as she read them. “I bet this was a very important find,” she said.

Stu nodded. “It was the first code of law found in Laiatan, and it’s one of the oldest pieces of writing that’s of significant length in the world. They’ve made several recreations that they’ve passed out around the world. This is the original.”

She nodded. She then asked to see more of the museum.

They continued through the museum, passing through each of the dynasties that ruled Laiatan and their major contributions. They stopped in the room of the Novmosk-Mesyats Lai’. “This was the last Lai’ kingdom to reign over Laiatan. The strongest, too.”

“I see. Reminds me of the Arthor Dynasty.”

“I’m not familiar with him,” Stu said as they continued going around the room. They stopped at a display of Mikhail Novmosk. Stu began reading the inscription and told Cecilia what he knew about him. “He essentially gave women equal rights overnight. Women had rights before, but weren’t one hundred percent equals. They could do anything but serve in combat roles in the military. Similar to today’s set up with the military.”

“I see. Remind me to tell you of High Emperor Arthor of Vulshain one day, the only Emperor of Vulshain.”
She got back on topic. “So, he must have been quite the feminist.”

Stu shook his head. “No, he just believed in civil and equal rights. It’s pretty easy to establish stuff when you don’t have to get clearance from a parliament.”
Stu continued reading the inscription. “Oh, wait a sec. Women were still barred from the military. Must be the Grand Duchy of Volkgoroda I’m thinking of.”

“Okay. So, what happened Mikhail Novmosk’s death?”

“All the laws were kept in place, and after he died, the country continued rising in strength and power. The ruling family established a duchy over the territory based in Volkgoroda.”

She nodded. “I see. So what happened next?”

“It continued pushing equal rights, women were allowed to join the military in non-combat roles. It remained a powerful country until about 1410, and its power began waning. A new ruling family came into power and created the Koroldom of Laiatan,” Stu replied as they walked into the room of the Koroldom.

“And this is when everything went down hill, huh?”

“It was actually a pretty nice nation up until Yuri IV came into power in 1737. Before hand, Korolina Katherine I brought about more civil rights and reformed the foreign policy. She got us close to Vulshain and became close trading partners. When Yuri IV came into power, women were reclassified as second class citizens, civil rights were removed, and the economy began suffering greatly.”

“I think I remember that. King Fersoltsy Arkadyon warned Yuri IV that he was in danger of causing a riot. Of course, Arkadyon never imagined a full-scale revolution.”

They walked into the room for Zukov’s Laiatan. “Zukov spoke out in 1739, and Yuri IV noticed in 1742. He threatened him with execution, and Zukov fled north. He started building an army, which was around 9,000 strong in 1743. He won the people’s hearts and mind in the north, and built up his army by adding about 125,000 volunteers. He controlled seven provinces in the north. Two years later, he had twelve provinces under his command, and instigated an uprising in the south, adding about 75,000 to his ranks. He fought the Korol’s forces head on and effectively crushed the army by 1752, and marched on Volkgoroda in 1753 with 350,000 volunteers. They seized the capital, ending the second-longest reigning monarchy in Laiatan. Yuri IV fled east, heading to Vulshain. He was stopped in an inn near the border by the Ipatiev Death Squad, commisioned by Zukov to find Yuri IV. They dragged the family out to the backyard and executed them. The death squad was responsible for the deaths of seventy-four percent of the nobles in Laiatan. The rest made their way to Vulshain,” Stu said as they stopped at a replica of Zukov.

“I remember that. When King Arkadyon heard of the executions, he did everything in his power to help. He sent diplomats under the protection of armed guards, hired merchants, also under heavy guard, to smuggle nobles and their families to Vulshain, he sent spies to help nobles escape capture. He actually sent the army to retrieve Yuri and his family. Imagine what would have happened if the
Vulshainian army had reached the Korol before he was executed.”

Stu shrugged. “Or if they ran into the death squad and stopped it. War definitely would have happened. Zukov put himself in charge of Laiatan under a junta styled government. He began returning civil rights, and they started writing the Constitution. They finished it in 1757. Each province ratified it, and Zukov was elected in November. He became the first president, and the term began January 20, 1758. He served two terms. He’s considered the longest reigning president with his five years ruling before the presidency began.”

“Ah. According to legend, Yuri IV’s niece escaped capture thanks to the efforts of the Vulshainian spies, one of whom she fell in love with. However, he was later captured, buying her time to escape. It is said that he was tortured by Zukov himself personally.” Cecilia cringed. “It was not pretty. Of course, other legends say that one of Yuri’s daughters or sons survived.”

Stu nodded. “I remember when someone claiming to be related to her came out. DNA tests proved she wasn’t, and that nine bodies were confirmed where they were buried at the inn.”

“I remember hearing about that too. Of course, don’t you think it’s time that the Korol and his family get a proper burial?”

“They were reburied when they dug up the area around the inn.”

“Ah. So, what’s it like finding out that one of your ancestors was one of the nobles who escaped the Death Squads and became a noble of Vulshain?”

“It was pretty interesting. They had to have been smart, to escape before they were executed.”

“Well, you do have to thank him: because of him, you’re getting a castle.” She gently nudged Stu in the side.

Stu laughed. “Yeah, it’ll be interesting to see what’s there.”

She smiled. “I’m guessing that not everyone was happy with Zukov’s Death Squads, especially among those who wanted change.”

Stu shrugged. “Nobody really said anything, and Zukov promised the return of rights. And he came through with it. That’s the biggest reason he was elected.”

“So, nobody spoke up against what happened, huh?”

He shook his head. “Well, nobles did. The rest of the populace didn’t because it was nobles that crippled the country.”

“Hm…You would think that with all of the bloodshed the Death Squads committed that someone would have spoken out against him. Or did Zukov have them silenced?” Cecilia wondered about that.

“I’m sure there was a bit, but not enough to change anything. The Death Squad was shut down in 1758 when he became president.”

“What happened to the members of the Death Squad?”

“They returned to regular service in the Army.”

“Okay…”
She was a bit surprised by this. She shrugged her shoulders. “Well, King Arkadyon I think visited when Zukov was President and spoke out against him. Not the wisest move, since the King’s health was in bad shape. Still, he was brave to confront Zukov despite his declining health. No one knows what they said between each other, but from what I’ve read, Zukov was mad in the face, while the King was smiling.”
“Arkadyon died two weeks later from tubercolios.”

Stu nodded. “I’ve heard that story several times. Not sure how completely true it is.”

She shrugged her shoulders again. “Well, what’s next?” She hoped to see more of the museum.

They began walking down the halls and various rooms, eventually coming up on the Hall of Presidents. “Here’s the longest hallway in the museum. It’s got a spot for each president. They’ve had to expand it several times, and now there’s room for the next 45 presidents.”

“Ah.” She looked at each one of them. “So, which ones were the good ones and which were the bad ones?”

“Most of them were good, a few bad.” Stu pointed them out as they walked down the hall. They got to the end, where a statue of Zak stood. The inscription told his early life and history, up to the point of his election to presidency. Below his name, the year 2008 - was chiseled in.

“And soon, he’s going to be reelected.”

Stu nodded. "Hopefully, that’ll say be ended with 2016. Most of the presidents got reelected, and he should be added to that list.

“That’s good. So, has any president been impeached?”

Stu shook his head. “Nope, politicians are held to a high standard, and most don’t get in trouble.”

“Ah come on now. Surely, there’s been a few who have done some sort of scandal or idiotic thing to get people mad them.”

“Well, there’s only been one scandal, and that was the president after Zukov. Vladimir Gustov. He had an affair with a secretary. Almost impeached, but the Verkhnya blocked it.”

“Ah! Zukov alive back when that happened?”

Stu nodded. “He was pretty upset, but couldn’t really do anything since he wasn’t in power. He also realized how bad it would be if the second president was impeached, so he was able to convince the Verkhnya to not impeach him. Gustov was fined a few hundred thousand rublas.”

Cecilia was doing her best to keep from laughing. She wasn’t doing so well. “So, in other words, Zukov had to convince the Verkhnya to not impeach his successor. That must have taken a lot of effort to do.”

“Not really, he was pretty influential until his death.”

“Hm…Well, surely all of these Presidents have skeletons in their closets. So, that’s the only scandal huh?”

“That we know of.”

“That you know of!?” Cecilia was shocked, her jaw hanging open.

Stu laughed. “I’m sure at least one president had a hidden skeleton during his presidency.”

“And what about Zak’s?” Cecilia laughed.

Stu shrugged. “He’s pretty clean. I don’t think he’s got anything hidden.”

“That’s good. At least it’s better than what’s going on with me.”

“What’s that?”

“Got in a blasted fender bender with a cop. To top it off I had left my purse in my office, and one of my rear lights was out.”

“That doesn’t sound all that bad. Better than a scandal.”

“All I got was a warning. Thank the Den Mother it stayed out of the news.”

Stu laughed. “Yeah, that’d be something if it was in the news.”

She glared at him. “It’s not funny!” She then laughed a bit. “Anyhow, how many fender benders have you been in?”

Stu put his arm around Cecilia as they finished looking around the museum. They headed outside. He laughed. “Just a couple. All the other person’s fault.”

“Uh-huh.” She laughed too. “So, where to next?”

IC:

Stu opened up the car door for Cecilia and climbed into his seat on the other side. “Well, we can go see the Zukov Monument. It’s pretty close to a bunch of other monuments and memorials.”

“Alright. So when was it built? If it was built when he was still alive, then something’s wrong,” she joked.

Stu laughed. “No, no. They started building it in 1855. It was finished on April 19, 1857 to commerate Zukov and Laiatan’s 100th birthday.”

She laughed. “That’s good. So, what more can you tell me about it?”

Stu began driving with Cecilia to Monument Square. “It was designed by Dania Restikov, it’s in the center of Monument Square, and the first monument built in the square.”
“It’s in the shape of an obelisk, and stands about six hundred feet tall.”

“Alright. I was actually thinking that the monument was a huge statue.”

Stu nodded. “Yeah, that’d make sense, but Zukov didn’t want to be viewed as a dictator. That’s why there are very few statues of him. Big ones, anyway.”

“Hm…So, in a way, Zukov suspected that others might see him as a dictator, so he tried to keep people from building giant statues of him. Or huge portraits of himself as well.”

“Something like that,” Stu replied as they pulled into the parking lot in front of the massive obelisk.

Cecilia looked at the obelisk. “Wow. It’s big.”

“Six hundred feet. Tallest building in Laiatan when it was finished, possibly the world.”

“Oh wow. Reminds me of Tick-Tock Yuri.”

“The big clock tower,” Stu asked as the two exited the car and began walking towards the structure.

“Yep. You probably heard it when you and Zak visited last during Christmas time. It is probably the most accurate clock in the world, by a few seconds that is.”

Stu laughed. “Maybe,” They walked up to the obelisk, with the inscription on the west face. The dates of the laying of the corner stone and capstone were engraved into the stone.

Cecilia read them.

“There’s an inscription on each face. This one’s the date of stone laying, the other faces tell the commisioners, designers, and workers. Made of out limestone.”

“I see.” Cecilia read each inspiration. “Impressive.”

They continued walking around the Square, stopping at several of the war monuments and the most impressive monument for the Laiatanese Revolution. It featured several of Zukov’s soldiers with muskets, raised in victory. Laiatanese flags flew above, surronding the monument.

“Hm…Okay.” She was impressed, but still, the fact that Zukov’s reign began on the blood and deaths of countless innocents left a bad taste in her mouth.
“You know back home in Vulshain we have a tradition: newlyweds leave a single rose at several memorials, including the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.”

Stu smiled. “Well then, we’ll have to do that.”

She smiled. “So, where are the Korol and his family buried?”

“Where the inn still is. They closed it down and turned it into a sort of ‘memorial’ to the family.”

“Okay. I thought they would be buried in the Royal Cemetary or something.”

“There isn’t a Royal Cemetery ‘technically’ anymore. Zukov respected the dead of the nobles, and just renamed the cemeteries.”

“Oh okay. Well, at least he was against looting of the royal graves. So, what is it called now?”

“Old Kingdom Cemetery.”

“Okay. Maybe we should visit that too.”
She then added, “If we have time.”

Stu nodded. “We’ll see if we can fit it in.”

She hugged Stu’s arm.

Stu smiled and continued walking around the Square, looking at the various areas. They sat in a gazebo, giving a great view of the Square as the sun began sitting.

“Wow. I can’t believe that almost the whole day had gone by.” Her stomach began to rumble. She laughed.

Stu laughed too. “Yeah, we’ll have stop off at a restaurant I know of. Maybe that bar where we went last year. They’ve got great shashlyk.”

“I would like that. Let’s go to that bar then.”

The two returned to Stu’s car and drove to the small bar. Stu opened the door for Cecilia. They were both greeted by the familiar bartenders, Mishkai and Veralia. “Good evening Stu, Cecilia! How are you two today?” Stu smiled and shook their hands. “We’re great.”

“Yes, we are. We’re getting married!”

“Ah, I heard! Dinner’s on the house tonight, what can I get you two,” Mishkai asked. Stu smiled, “Two orders of shashlyk, a glass of vodka and…” Stu turned to Cecilia, indicating for her to speak up about what she wanted to drink.

“Hm…Ginger ale please.”

Mishkai nodded and poured two glasses. Stu took the two glasses and carried them to a small table in the corner of the bar, away from the several off-duty soldiers and random patron.

“So, how long have you known them?” Cecilia was curious about this bar.

Stu thought for a moment. “Uh… about three years, when I first was stationed here in Volkgoroda. I was a regular customer with my squad.”

OOC: Collab post between me and SY.

IC:

“So, you keep in touch with your old squad?”

Stu nodded. “I get a phone call from one of them every once in a while. We email and write, too.”

“That’s good. I try to keep in touch with the members of my squadron: the Warwolf Squadron. I was Captain of the 14th Air Defense Guard Flight of the 28th Fighter Aviation Regiment and Captain of the Warwolves.”

Stu nodded as he took a drink of his vodka. “Sounds like you had a lot of responsibility.”

“I did. My callsign was White Fang.”

“Do you have the names of the pilots painted on the aircraft relative to where they sit?”

“Huh?” Cecilia was drawn back to reality as she remembered the days she fought in the Civil War.

“We’ve got the rank, name, and callsign on the side of the plane. Do they do that in Vulshain as well?”

“Yes we do. I’m sorry I was just thinking of my war days.” She gulped down almost half of her ginger ale.

Sighing, she said, “We…I made some mistakes during the initial fighting.”

“Like what,” Stu asked as Mikhai delivered their food. Stu smiled and thanked him.

“My first mission was to take out a railway bridge that we believed was going to be used by the enemy for transporting supplies and troops. Unfortunately, whether by bad info or the enemy feeding us misinformation, the bridge was actually being used by civilian refugees. I blew up the bridge when a train carrying 195 civilians went over it.” She sighed. “Not a good day.”

Stu nodded and put his hand on her’s. “It wasn’t your fault.”

“I was the one who pulled the trigger. Who else is to blame then?”

“The ones who gave the order to destroy the bridge,” Stu replied.

“Yeah well…”

Stu began eating. “If they hadn’t told you to go blow it up, the train would have made it across. It’s their fault.”

Cecilia nodded and began eating as well. “Tell that to Diablo.”

“Either way, I wouldn’t blame you.”

“Thank you.”

Stu continued to eat. “So what else did you do in the war?”

“Oh just do recon, dogfights, give air support. Made ace on my second day of active service.”

“Wow,” Stu replied as he continued eating. “How’d the terrorists get control of aircraft, though? Did military units defect?”

“A few. Also, arms dealers provided aircraft. Also, the Rygardi supplied them too. Of course, the defectors were led by Diablo, or Colonel Timofei Boleslav, the most feared and skilled pilot in the Gulf of Itur. Some say that he was the devil of the skies.”

Stu nodded. “Ah. Almost reminds me of Red October.”

“Of course, Diablo was our best pilot.”

“Was he shot down?”

“Of course…In the last battle of the Civil War…by me.”

Stu looked a bit surprised. “Guess that makes you the best ace in Vulshain.”

Cecilia laughed. “I guess it does. I never thought of that.”

“We had a similar situation back in 1956 during Red October. A few of our best pilots defected to the New Laiatan Federation and helped launch a coup against the government.”

She nodded, showing her interest.

“An air group and four divisions created the New Laiatan Federation and defected. They launched an attack against Loyalist military units. There were about 90,000 troops in Volkapita, and all converged on Volkgoroda, Letov and Kosma to crush the coup. It took twelve days, five thousand lives and the destruction of hundreds of aircraft and tanks in total.”

She nodded. “Reminds me of what happened during our Civil War.”

Stu continued eating. “Only the Loyalists were fighting Communists.”

“Hm…Yeah. We fought a lot of radicals, insurgents, and terrorists during the Civil War though.” She was starting to wish she hadn’t started this topic.

Stu took a drink of his vodka. “So, how’s your dinner?”

“It’s good. I think this is my first time eating this.”

Stu laughed a bit. “All it is a bit of beef and pork on a stick.”

She smiled, forgetting about her depression. “It’s good. When I get back home, I’ll have to start getting the wedding prepared.”

“But we’ll have to have our bachelor and bachelorette parties,” she grinned.

Stu smiled back. “Yeah, I’ll have to get my old squad back together with some new friends.”

She nodded. “Just remember: no strippers at either of our parties now.”

Stu laughed. “No worries.”

She smiled and laughed as well.

Stu finished his meal and cup of vodka.

Cecilia had a bit to go though. “There’s been a lot of talk about loaning some of our mechs to your military. Some of our engineers are betting that Laiatan won’t be able to build any of Laiatanese mechs.”

“It’s not that we won’t be able to, it’s that we don’t want to,” Stu replied. “We also probably won’t be interested in getting them loaned to us, as we like to build as much of our own stuff as we can. Kind of a ‘want it done right, do it yourself’ state of mind.”

“I understand, Stu. But, some of our military officers feel that in order to build a stronger Vulshainian-Laiatanese alliance, we need to share some technology with one another, and that includes things we would normally not build because we don’t want to. For example, while Vulshain is quite willing to be mechs, Laiatan doesn’t.”

Stu shrugged. “Not up to me, though. That’d be Zak’s choice.”

“I know that. And I wonder if he will allow mechs to be built for your military if that would hurt or help his image for reelection.”

“Don’t know. If anything, he’d push it back to after he was reelected.”

“Most likely. How is he doing in the polls?”

“Pretty well, last time I checked.”

She nodded, finally finished with her meal and drink.

Mishkai smiled and took the plates and glasses.

“What’s for dessert?” She smiled.

Stu laughed. “Whatever you’d like. Just remember, it’s a bar. They don’t have high dollar items.”

“I understand,” she laughed back. “What do they have?”

“Not too much on the dessert menu. We’ve got cakes,” Mishkai replied.

“Hm…Anything chocolate?”

He nodded and brought out two small cakes.

“Thank you.”

He smiled and walked back to the bar. Stu began eating the caek.

She began to eat some of the caek as well. “So, have you thought about taking one of our mechs for a ride? I could pull some strings and let you do it.”

Stu shrugged. “Possibly, but I’d have to be in Vulshain to do it.”

She lightly kicked him. “I know silly.”

Stu smiled as he continued eating the caek.

“So, any word from your brother?”

Stu nodded. “He’s still around. He’s helping push into the capital in Rygard at the moment.”

“Word is that the East Malaysians will be assisting us in the capture of the capital.”

“Good to hear.” Stu replied. “We should capture it in a lot less time.”

“Our intel has reported that the capital’s defenses are quite strong but with the East Malaysians taking out anti-air and anti-armor defenses, that should free us up in capturing the capital. It will be difficult especially since the military has gathered all remaining forces inside the city. Every commissar, War Guard, and soldier will be there.”
“And they have been ordered to fight to the last man. If they have to, to fight like savage and animals.”

“Are civilians still in the city?”

"Afraid so. The civilians are split between Loyalists and Rebels. The Rebels I am afraid are outnumbered 100 to 1.

“Of course, the number of Rebels is slowly increasing but any civilian attempting to leave the city is shot on sight.”

Stu nodded. “So much for just flattening the city. We’ll have to be careful.”

She nodded. “The Rygardi are using the civilians as shields, so we’ll have to be extremely careful.”

Stu slowly woke up and climbed out of bed. He slowly walked into the kitchen and yawned. He began making coffee.

Cecilia stirred as she began to smell the coffee. Yawning, she got up and put on her bathrobe.

Stu poured himself a cup and walked out front to grab the newspaper, walking back in and taking a seat at the table.

Cecilia poured herself a cup as well. She headed out to the front as well. “Good morning,” she said with a smile.

“Morning,” Stu replied with a smile as he kissed her. “How’d you sleep?”

She kissed back. “I slept good. And you?”

“Not too bad. Glad it’s finally Saturday.”

“Same here. Unfortunately, I’ll have to leave in about two or three days. I could try and stay four days, though.”

Stu smiled. “Stay as long as you’d like, but just remember the discussion we had about vacation.”

“I know. Anyhow, what’s in the paper?”

“Nothing too important,” Stu replied setting it on the table. “Slow news day.”

“Ah. Is your brother part of the group preparing to storm the capital of Rygard?”

Stu nodded as he drank a bit of coffee. “Yeah, he’s getting ready to go in.”

“Hm…Word is that the East Malaysians are moving too. We think that they will be giving us air support. Not sure what will happen if we start quarreling over the prototype weapons the Rygardi are said to have hidden throughout the city.”

“First come first serve, it looks like.”

“From what we have gathered, the prototype weapons are believed to be using smuggled or stolen East Malaysian tech. Not sure if its true or not, but like you said, ‘First come first serves.’”

Stu stood up and began rummaging in the fridge. “Anything you want special for breakfast?”

“Not sure. What do you have?”

“Frozen waffles, bacon, eggs. Just about anything. Toast, pancakes.”

“Pancakes, bacon, eggs, please.”

Stu nodded and began gathering the ingredients. He cooked the eggs and bacon as he prepared the pancakes, and began cooking them. He finished a bit later, and handed Cecilia a plateful of food. He sat next to her with his own plate.

“Our forces have also moved and are already laying siege to the capital of Rygard,” she said before eating some fo the eggs.

“Good to hear,” Stu said as he began eating.

“Yep.” She ate some of her bacon. “So, how are things between you and Vekaiyu?”

Stu shrugged. “Don’t know at the moment. We haven’t had much interaction with them. Except for Listonia.”

“And that submarine incident,” Cecilia added.

“I meant recently.”

She nodded. “Well, I wonder if Zak is planning to increase interaction with Vekaiyu once the elections are over.”

“Don’t know. He might try to improve relations.”

“That’s good. I wonder if he plans on going to Vekaiyu or inviting Premier Sulverie here.”

“He’d probably visit before bringing her here, especially after the submarine incident.”

Cecilia nodded. “I’m just glad that Vulshain wasn’t dragged into the situation. Things might have gotten ugly. But, that will probably be a good idea. If she came here, you could expect a lot of problems.”

Stu nodded. “But, it’s Zak’s decision what he does.”

“True. So, when the submarine incident happened, how close to war were Laiatan and Vekaiyu? We were greatly concerned and had our militaries on full standby, ready to intervene at a moment’s notice. We thought we were going to have to get between your forces.”

“We were at USOB level 2, just before total warfare. It puts the military on full alert, planes are loaded up. We were ready to send Vekaiyu a message with one of our aircraft carriers.”

“Ah. We were at Red level. We had to take measures, including measures to protect public institutions and putting in place appropriate means for rescue and response, authorizing a significant level of disruption to social and economic activity.”

Stu nodded. “A few cities had their warning sirens go off close to wear the helicopters were attacked, just as a precaution.”

“People were ordered to stay indoors while naval units and marines got ready near the coastlines. All three of our fleets were ordered to move out, first time the Home Defense Fleet has been ordered to move out since the Monarchical Revolution.”

“Yeah, it was pretty bad at the time.” Stu continued eating. “How many carriers does the Vulshainian navy have?”

“A few. I can’t remember off the top of my head, but we have a good many. How many do you have?”

“We’ve only got four. Two supercarriers, two fleet carriers. We’ve got four fleets, two for home defense and two for roaming.”

“Hm…I think we have three supercarriers, and five fleet carriers. We did capture one of the Rygardi supercarriers, and if I’m not mistaken, one of theirs defected to your fleet.”

“Or was it four fleet carriers? I’ll think we are building a fifth carrier.”

Stu looked a bit surprised. “Wow, you must of spent billions on those carriers. How many does Rygard have? I would have thought they wouldn’t even have the capability to operate more than one supercarrier.”

“Rygard had three supercarriers: one defected to the Free Pacific Fleet, one defected to you, and the other we captured. Oh wait, we have two supercarriers and five fleet carriers. I guess we’ll have the supercarrier we captured from Rygard made a part of our home defense fleet. How about you?”

“Up to the Navy. It’ll probably be scuttled by our ships offshore somewhere. It’s probably not the greatest ship, seeings as how those things pricetags reach into multi-billion dollar items. I doubt Rygard could afford to make it high quality.”

“Hm…Well, it is a Nimitz-class carrier or an earlier model that we captured, and I think the one that defected to you was a Gerald R. Ford carrier.”

“But it might have been a prototype. Rygard did have a strong industry.”

“But, you should really finish your breakfast.” She smiled as she tapped her fork against her empty plate and pointed at Stu’s half-eaten breakfast.

Stu smiled. “Working on it.” He continued eating and finished shortly after.

She smiled. “So, this is an odd question, but what forms of capital punishment does Laiatan have?”

“We use just about all of them. If I remember right, hanging, firing squad, electric chair, and the occasional lethal injection execution is used.”

“Hm…Same here, except we also use the guillotine. Well, only about five provinces use it.”

Stu took a drink of his coffee. “Out in public?”

“Of course not!” Cecilia was taken aback by this. “We haven’t had a public beheading since Rivers was in power. And all beheadings are done in private, away from the public eye. Public beheadings are prohibited by Confederate law.”

Stu nodded. “Ah, just wondering. Remembering from history, it was typically used in public.”

“Yeah, well. No one wanted public beheadings after Rivers was overthrown.”

“It makes sense,” Stu replied as he got up and took Cecilia and his own plate to the sink.

“Well, what did you want to do today?”

“Whatever you’d like,” Stu replied.

“Well, I want to do what you want to do today.”

IC:

Stu thought for a moment. “Well, we could visit the zoo, aquarium, or see some more sights.”

“It’s been a while since I’ve been to the zoo and aquarium. We could go visit them.” She smiled. “What do you normally do on your weekends?” She went and got changed.

“Not too much. Sit around, watch some TV. Do yardwork, clean, exercise. Normal stuff I suppose. I go to church on Sunday, sometimes I’ll visit a museum.”

“Hm…I have to work on Sundays sometimes. Not often, but once in a while, especially if there’s something important that needs to be done.”

Stu nodded. “I’ll have work on weekends too, but a lot of the time it’s paperwork I can do here.”

“Ah. I really need to get my own house. I wonder if people here are puzzled that I live in Silver Canis Hall.” Cecilia needed to look into that when she got back home. “There are a few houses that have belong to the Royal Family over the years…”

Stu chuckled a bit. “Especially when we get married. It’d be nice to have our own house.”

“I agree. I don’t think…You want to live in a palace…Do you?” She knew that Stu, like most Laiataneses would be uncomfortable living in such grandeur as a palace.

Stu shrugged as he got into the car with Cecilia. “Well, I’d be willing to live in one.”

“Oh, so until I can arrange for us to live somewhere else, you don’t mind living in the Royal Confederate Palace?”

“Sure, that’d be fine,” Stu replied as they pulled out of the driveway, and began driving to the zoo.

“So, what’s the history behind the zoo? Was it one built by a former king or Zukov or something?”

Stu shook his head. “No, it was built in the late 1890s.”

“Ah. I see.” Cecilia wondered if Stu had ever read any of Vulshain’s history books on Zukov. While they did admit that Zukov’s goals to restore the rights to the people and end corruption was indeed noble, the fact that he murdered countless innocent people for the sole crime of being born nobles made him into some sort of vicious dictator.

“So does Vulshain have any big zoos?”

“Well there’s the Royal Zoo and Botanical Gardens in Kitsuniva. It was built by in the early 1820s. It’s very beautiful. When I was a little kit, I even got to ride a Vulshainian elephant. It was cool.” She smiled. “And the gardens! Oh they are so lovely!” She then thought for a moment. “There’s also the Nature and Lake Reserve in Verussa.”

Stu laughed. “Must have been fun. We’ve got nature preserves across the country. Especially up north and near the border.”

“Same here. Of course, we have some in the east too. Especially in the Celiam Province, that’s where Celiam Methodism was founded.”

Stu nodded. “That’s a sect of Christianity, right?”

She nodded. “It was founded by a dissillusioned Vayan Catholic who visited a Methodist sermon and he then went and founded Celiam Methodism. And…well, Celiam Methodism is the largest religion in Vulshain.”

Stu nodded as they pulled into the parking lot. “How many Den Detyeĭ are in Vulshain?”

“Hm…Well…” She scratched her head. “Den Materism is the second largest religion in Vulshain, so 26% of the population follows Den Materism.”

Stu looked a bit surprised. “Wow, didn’t expect so many would turn to the Lobo faith. How many lobos are in Vulshain?”

“45% Vulpines and 44% Lobos.”
“The rest is made up of humans and other sentient beings.”

“Although humans make up the vast majority of the remaining population of Vulshain.”

Stu got out of the car with Cecilia. “Not many vulpines or humans in Laiatan. Probably because this is the Lobo homeland.”

“That’s true, but Vulshain has always pride itself on being a nation of tolerance to all. It’s just like our motto says, ‘For freedom and equality as the Heavens have mandated.’”

Stu nodded. “Anyway, here we are.” Before them was a large sign reading, ‘Volkgoroda Zoo’. They walked over to an electronic kiosk, and purchased two tickets. Stu handed Cecilia hers as they gave them to the ticket taker. They entered the zoo.

Cecilia hugged onto Stu’s arm. She smiled, wagging her tail. A few people looked at them, but she didn’t care. One of the people looking at them was her escort Ted who was apparently incognito, pretending to read a newspaper.

They went around to each exhibit, watching the animals ranging from komodo dragons, lions and even wolves and foxes.

Cecilia was enjoying the zoo.

They continued into the area of the zoo with the rarer creatures. Albino tigers, crocodiles, and other rare creatures sat in their pens.

“Albino tigers,” Cecilia said as she marveled at them.

Stu nodded. “It’s amazing the stuff there is out in nature.”

“That is true.”

They continued walking around the massive zoo, marveling at the sights for the next few hours.

“You know I wish I didn’t have to leave in a few days,” she said as they looked at the birds. “I wish I could just stay here with you.”

“I know. We’ll be living together soon enough though.”

“That’s true. What does Zak think about all of this?”

Stu continued walking with Cecilia around the zoo. “He’s pretty supportive of the whole thing.”

“That’s good to hear. My brother is quite happy for us as well.”

“Good,” Stu replied as they took a seat on a bench.

“I’m looking forward to our wedding,” she said, smiling. “My brothers and sisters are helping with the preparations.”

Stu smiled. “I’m excited too. Glad to hear they’re helping.”

“Usually, both families help the bride and groom with the preparations, but I understand since your parents live so far away from my hometown,” she said. She chuckled a bit. “It was kind of funny seeing your father so flustered upon seeing a gnome.”

Stu laughed. “Yeah, there aren’t many-if any- that live here in Laiatan.”

“Still…” She tapped her finger against her chin. “Nah…It was probably nothing. Anyhow, if you like I could talk with Zak in seeing if it’s possible to have you could come to my hometown and help with the preparations.”

“Can’t have my family be the only ones in preparing for our big day,” she said with a smile. “I want to have you and your family’s input in this as well.”

Stu nodded. “I’ll talk with my boss.”

She laughed a bit. “I wonder how Zak is doing in the polls. I heard his party isn’t too happy that the Green Paw environmentalist group has become popular with students. If I were him, I would associate with Green Paw.”

Stu shrugged. “They’re still a vast minority. It would hurt him more than help.”

“Hm…Well, how is he doing?”

“Still pretty good. Approval rating is still high. Can’t remember the exact number.”

She nods. “So, shall we continue?”

“Sure. We’ve seen just about everything here, so do you want to head off to the aquarium?”

She smiles. “Oh one second, let’s stop by the gift shop on our way out.”

Stu smiled back as he took her hand. They headed off to the gift shop. “Here we are.”

She looks around. She picks up a T-shirt, a hat, and a few plush toys: a giraffe, a lion, and a tiger.

Stu paid for the things she purchased, and they headed out of the gift shop out to Stu’s car. They both entered, and Stu began driving them to the aquarium.

Cecilia smiles as she sees the aquarium come into view.

“Alright, here we are,” Stu said as he pulled into a parking spot. They both exited the vehicle and began walking to the entrance. They walked in and bought two tickets, and walked into the first branch of the aquarium. It was filled with various tropical fish of all species.

“Wow.” Her tails happily wags to and fro as she gazes at all of the fish.

“It’s incredible. I haven’t been to an aquarium in years,” Stu said as they walked around, watching the fish.

“I wonder if you have any dolphins here,” she said.

Stu nodded as they entered a long hallway, filled with fish and several sharks. "They’re closer to the end.
"

She nods. She looks around at all of the different marine life.

They continued down the hall to the touching tanks, filled with stingrays and other marine life.

Cecilia heads on over to the touching tanks. She smiles as she touches one of the stingrays.

Stu stood next to her and felt the stingrays and other creatures.

As they leave the touching tanks, Cecilia asked, “So, what’s it like working for Zak?”

“I don’t exactly work for Zak, I’m under the Chief of the Air Force, who works for Zak.”

“Who’s the Chief of the Air Force?”

“General Ivan Murivich.”

“Ah. What’s he like?”

“Pretty laid back, he can be strict sometimes. Nothing much to complain about with him.” They walked into the dolphin area.

“That’s good. Oh! The dolphins!” Cecilia’s tail wagged like crazy.

Stu laughed. “I take it you like dolphins.” They walked over to the tank where several dolphins played.

“Of course! I have always loved dolphins. You know Ancient Vulshainians believed dolphins were the guardian spirits of the seas.”

Stu nodded. “I remember reading about that.” He smiled as he watched the dolphins swim around.

“So, do you like dolphins?”

Stu nodded. “Yeah, they’re pretty cool.” They continued walking around, watching the dolphins.

“Ever swam with them before,” she asked.

Stu nodded. “Once, when I was little. What about you?”

“Same here. It was an amazing experience,” she said, smiling.

Stu smiled as they walked closer to the end of the aquarium. Several hallways and rooms remained, filled with fish and other marine life.

“Isn’t this great?” She skips a bit, almost dragging Stu alone.

Stu nodded and picked up speed, keeping up with Cecilia. “Yes, it is.”

She smiled as they looked at the other fish and marine life. “I wonder if they have seals here as well?”

They walked into a room with marine mammals. “Right in here.”

Cecilia smiled and wagged her tail as she watched the seals play.

Stu smiled as well as they continued watching the animals.

She holds Stu’s hand as they watched the animals. “You know I really, really needed this vacation. I feel like I could do entire month of paperwork now.”

“Don’t overwork yourself, now.” Stu smiled as he looked at Cecilia. “I’m glad you came too.” He leaned in and kissed her.

She kissed him back.

Stu took her hand and walked through the rest of the aquarium. They walked out, still hand in hand. “That was pretty nice.”

“It was.” She had felt so happy.

“So, now what do you want to do,” he asked as they got into the car.

“I’m not sure.” Both their stomachs growled. “Well, I guess we could eat. Maybe a fast food place somewhere.”

“How about Tatyana’s,” Stu asked as they left the parking lot.

“Sure.”

She leaned back in the seat.

They went through the drive-thru, and continued driving around while they ate.

Cecilia bit into her spicy chicken sandwich. “So, how long did it take you to become Commandant?”

“Not too long, amazingly. I’m still a bit surprised I was picked.”

“Oh?” She listens as she eats a couple of french fries.

“I was only in for about 14 years. A few officers were more senior than myself, but Zak chose me.”

“Why did he pick you?”

“To be honest, I’m not one hundred percent sure. Maybe it’s because we worked together before.”

“Maybe…So, what were your first days as commandant like?”

“Not too busy,” Stu replied. “No conflicts going on at the time.”

"That’s good. So, how did you get into the Republican Guard?’

“I joined out of college on a Republican Guard scholarship.”

“Ah. Your parents must have been very proud.”

Stu nodded. “They supported me the whole way.”

She nodded back. She was almost finished eating. “So, what sports did you do while in school?”

“None,” Stu replied. “I stayed in shape by running and exercising at home.”

“Ah. Most students in Vulshain are encouraged to take up a sport.”

Stu shrugged. “Students here are encouraged to take advanced and difficult classes rather than sports.”

“Actually students are encouraged to do both difficult and advanced classes as well as sports. We Vulshainians that schools must enrich both mind and body.”

Stu nodded. “Makes sense. We typically view intelligence as higher importance than sports.”

She nods.

IC:

Stu tied his tie as he looked at himself in the mirror over his dresser. It was raining lightly outside, the rain pattering on the roof. Stu clasped his watch onto his wrist, and looked at the time. “Hey Cecilia, it’s 9:40. We need to get going.”

“Okay! Don’t get your fur matted,” she said as she stepped out wearing a gray Sunday dress and a red cloak.

“Don’t worry, I won’t,” Stu laughed as he put on a sports coat and walked to the front door. He grabbed his raincoat from the closet and an umbrella from the holder next to the door. He opened up the door and walked onto the porch. He waited for Cecilia to follow.

Cecilia put the hood of her cloak over her head. She smiled underneath the hood.

Stu locked the door behind them and opened the umbrella as they walked out to Stu’s car. He closed the umbrella and they both entered the car. Stu pulled out of the driveway, and began driving towards the church.

“Is my hair alright?” Cecilia wanted to make sure that she looked good. She didn’t want to embarrass Stu in his church.

Stu laughed. “It’s fine. You look great.”

“Thanks. I hope I’m dressed okay as well.”

Stu looked over at Cecilia. “Perfectly fine. That’s the nice thing about our churches. You don’t have to dress fancy.”

“Ah. I see. Have you ever been to a Vayan Catholic service before?”

Stu shook his head as they continued, getting closer to the church. “No, you won’t find many churches of different faiths here.”

She nodded. “My dad took me to a few when I was little.”

“Did you enjoy the services,” Stu asked as they pulled into the parking lot.

“To be honest…” She was trying to put her words right. “…It just didn’t feel right to me. But when a friend of mine invited me to a Den Materism service, it felt right to me. There were a lot of things that I couldn’t understand when I went to the Vayan Catholic church. I guess it was a wakeup call to me that the Den Mother was who I was looking for. I understood her teachings and somehow I felt complete and whole. It was weird, and yet…joyous.” She smiled.
Stu nodded as he found a parking spot. “Well, now you’ll get to see if services are the same in Vulshain as the birthplace of the faith.” He got out of the car with Cecilia, and opened the umbrella.

She nodded.

She stayed underneath the umbrella, but she continued to have her hood over her head.

She looked at the church.

Stu took Cecilia’s hand as they walked into the church following several other families from the surronding neighborhoods, as well as a few recognizable faces from Stu’s neighborhood. Stu shut the umbrella as they walked into church. They walked through the double doors and into the chapel, where rows of pews lined most of the chamber. A choir bench and a minister’s pedestal in the front.

Cecilia took off her hood. It was a bit…awkward as she was the only vulpine there.

“Where do you want to sit,” Stu asked as they remained in the back.

“Where do you usually sit?”

“In the middle, usually.”

“That’ll be fine.”

Stu walked with Cecilia to the middle of the pews and took a seat, close to the aisle. On the back of each pew, there were wooden slots containing copies of the Svyashchennaya Kniga.

Cecilia then whispered to Stu, “Is there a Friendship Pad?”

Stu looked at Cecilia and whispered back. “A what?”

“You know, a small red notepad where everyone signs their name. You pass it around to each person in attendance. Its a way for people to see if any old friends are there.”

Stu shook his head. “No, there’s nothing like that here.”

“Oh. Well, there’s the first thing that’s different then.”
She was a bit embarrassed.

Stu nodded. The church began growing quiet as the minister walked out and began his sermon.

Cecilia listened to the sermon.
“Strange…wasn’t he supposed to announce any events that were going to happen as well as anyone who was sick or shut-in,” she thought as she continued to listen.

The sermon continued, and he read several passages from the Svyashchennaya Kniga. The congregation stood as the choir sang songs from the songbook, and joined in with them. The sermon was coming to a close. The minister had the donation plate passed around, as well as the sacrament bread and unfermented grape juice so all could take part. The sermon finished, and the minister reminded everyone of future events. The congregation began leaving, and the minister walked out to the entrance of the church and thanked everyone for coming. Stu and Cecilia shook the hand of the minister. The minister smiled. “Thank you for attending our services, Premier.”

“You’re quite welcome,” she said with a smile. “And I enjoyed the sermon very much.”

“So, do you two have plans on where you’ll be married? We’d love to have it here,” the minister said as he placed his hands behind his back.

“I would love that, but I have to keep my promise to my departed mother that I would get married in our hometown. However, if possible, I would love for you to come.”

The minister nodded. “I’ll see what I can do about coming.” Stu said goodbye to the minister, and he and Cecilia returned to Stu’s car and began driving home. “So what’d you think?”

“A lovely service,” she said. “I was surprised that he didn’t do the children’s sermon.”

“What’s the children’s sermon,” Stu asked as they continued driving home.

“Oh it’s when the minister has all of the children come to the front of the church and gives a sermon to the children.”

Stu nodded. “Ah, I’ve heard of that. I think that’s more Christian. We give the one sermon, because it brings the congregation together as one, instead of dividing the parents and children. There is Sunday school, though.”

She nods her head.

“So, what else would you like to do today?”

“Not sure. What do you usually do on Sundays after church?”

“Relax at home,” Stu laughed. “Before I have to go to work tomorrow.”

“Same here. Think we could have a barbecue with your neighbors?”

Stu shrugged. “We could, but I’m not feeling up to it. I’d like to relax a bit. We could do something else.”

“Hm…Well, how about fine dining?”

Stu looked at his watch. “Sure, we could go grab some lunch.”

“Okay,” she smiled.

Stu turned before reaching his house, heading towards a restaurant. The drive lasted for a few minutes, and Stu pulled into a parking lot. “Alright, we’re here.”

Stu got out of the car with Cecilia and quickly walked into the restaurant to get out of the rain. Stu took Cecilia’s hand and they waited for the waitress. The waitress approached them. “Two in your party,” she asked. Stu smiled and nodded, and the waitress took them to a table. They sat down. “Can I start you two off with an appetizer and something to drink,” she asked, handing them two menus.

“Sure. I’ll sweet tea, please. And for appetizer…um…the crunchy onion rings.”

She wrote down her order. “And for you?” She turned to Stu. “I’ll have a sweet tea as well.” The waitress smiled. “Okay, I’ll be back with your onion rings and drinks.” She walked back to the kitchen.

“You know Vekaiyuns think we Vulshainians are glutons because we eat big meals. Self-centered sometimes,” she said.

Stu laughed. “Well, the appetizers here are typically for two or more people. I hope you weren’t planning on eating them all.”

Cecilia laughed. “Would you like me too?”)

“No, because I was planning on eating some.” Stu began scanning over his menu.

Cecilia smiled as she looked at the menu too.

The waitress came back with the onion rings and teas. “Here you go… Do you need a few more minutes to decide on what you want?”

Cecilia looked at Stu as she had already made her decision.

“We’re ready now.” He looked to Cecilia.

She nodded. “I’m ready as well.”

The waitress took out her pad. “What can I get for you today?”

“Let’s see…I’ll have the double-glazed baby back ribs and a side order of fries.”

The waitress wrote down the order. “And for you sir?” Stu looked at the menu for a second then back to the waitress. “The crispy ranch chicken sandwich with fries.” The waitress nodded and took their menus, then headed to the kitchen.

“So, when do you think you’ll be able to come to my hometown to help with the wedding preparations?”

“I’ll have to talk to my boss,” Stu replied as he took a bite of an onion ring. “Maybe sometime later this month, or next month when I get a bit more leave time.”

“That’s good to hear. So, what do you think the Vekaiyuns are trying to do for Listonia? I mean it seems to me that they are up to something, and I’ll bet it’s nothing good.”
She ate one of the onion rings.

Stu shrugged. “Not too sure. Reports are saying they’re just trying to establish a new government, but we’re skeptical.”

“Hm…Let’s share notes. What are you skeptical on then?”

“Listonia remaining an independent state.”

“Same here. I think they want to have a lot of influence on it…emphasis on a lot.”

Stu nodded as he took a drink from his tea.

She then added, “Also, there is the matter of Stapen Evesuni. While he may not have been the one behind this, I don’t believe that we should just let him return to power. Maybe have elections or something, but Vekaiyu will want to have a say in the matter.”

Stu nodded. “I’d prefer not to see him return to power, either.” The waitress returned with their food. Stu smiled and thanked her, and began eating.

Cecilia began eating as well. “So, what should we do today after we get home? I’m up for whatever you want to do?”

Stu thought for a moment. “Well, we’ve seen most of the sights, visited my parents. We could go to an airshow, I can’t remember if it’s this weekend or next weekend though, so I’ll have to find out.”

“Okay. I would like that actually,” she smiled. “After that, I’ll have to start to get ready to go home. But we’ll see.”

Stu nodded as he continued eating. He paused for a minute and pulled out his phone. He looked back up to Cecilia. “It’s in town this weekend, today’s the last day.”

“Oh! Well, when does it start?” She was wondering if she had opened her mouth too soon about leaving after the airshow.

“The Devil Dogs start at two, so we’ve got a few hours. They’ve got a bunch of equipment on display, so we can walk around the base and check out some of the planes and other stuff on display.”

“The Devil Dogs?”

Stu nodded. “Yeah, they’re the Air Force’s air demonstration squadron. They’re the best of the best the Air Force has to offer.”

“Hm…Reminds of the Storm Riders back in Vulshain,” she said.

Stu nodded. “I’ve seen them before. Can they be used in combat, or are they just for demonstrations?”

“Hm…They’re mainly used for demonstrations, but they are trained for combat situations.”

“There’s a bit of rivalry between the Storm Riders and the War Dogs, my old squadron.”

“Why’s that?”

“Both squadrons are the best of the best, and so, we tend to get on the other’s nerves from time to time. Nothing serious, but there is a lot of competition.”

Stu nodded. “Did they ever fly together?”

“Occasionally,” she said before wiping the barbecue saunce off of her hands.

Stu took a drink. “The Devil Dogs are active duty members, so they can be put into combat at any time. They’ve only had to do that once, back in 1956.”

“Ah. Wait, wasn’t that the Red October fisaco?”

Stu nodded. “The coup attempt.”

“So, what did they do during that attempt?”

“They tried to seize control of the government, shelled buildings, kill as many top government officials as they could to seize control. All but one coup leader was executed, and that’s because he was killed in action by a Loyalist bomber.”

“Ah. I see.”

“The NLF was crippled beyond repair after the failed attempt, and there weren’t any more coup attempts or revolution attempts. It was the only one to happen, though.”

“Okay. So after that, socialism and communism were heavily disliked correct?”

Stu nodded as he finished his sandwich. “It got thousands killed and wounded, so it definitely hurt the ideologies.”

“Understandable. The same is with us and forming a republic. My brother and I had hoped that people wouldn’t associate all of the evils Rivers did with a republic, but unfortunately, they did. Most people are quite comfortable having a constitutional monarchy.”

Stu nodded. “So can anyone be the monarch, since they’re elected?”

“Well, usually you have to be of royal blood, normally from one of the Royal Houses,” she answered before drinking some of her tea.

Stu nodded. “Do the people pick the monarch?”

“No. Usually its a secret ballot by the Noble Houses, but to be honest, I’m thinking that electing the monarch might not be a good idea anymore. The idea for electing the monarch was originally done to prevent infighting, but I don’t think we’ll have a civil war if one family keeps the crown for several generations. And a lot of people are also questioning the need to elect a king.”

Stu shrugged as he finished off the last of his tea. The waitress came by with the check, and he paid. “Well, that’s something we don’t have to worry about here.”

“That’s true.”

“Ready to go see the airshow?”

“Sure!” She smiled.

IC:

Stu walked towards the main area of the airshow with Cecilia on Volkgoroda Air Force Base. Various types of aircraft were on display, ranging from cargo planes and bombers to fast moving fighter jets. Several land vehicles were on display as well, and stalls were across the base. The stalls featured Skopa teams, Laiatanese army units, and had various things for sale ranging from customizable dogtags to t-shirts.

Cecilia looked at the various planes and fighters. “Looks nice. If I had known there was an air show going on I might have checked to see if I could have the Excalibur displayed here,” she said, chuckling.

Stu laughed. “We typically only show our planes here.” Stu looked over to the runway as a biplane took off. “They do plane rides out here, too. It’s called the Young Eagle Program, or something like that.”

“Neat. I bet it helps to get young people wanting to join the Air Force.”

“Or fly in general. It’s a civilian program.”

She nodded. “So, how often do you come here?”

“The base or the air show?”

“Both,” she said smiling.

“I come to the base every couple of months for business, almost every year for the air show.”

She smiled. “That’s good to hear.” They looked at the other planes. “So, what did you fly?”

“I didn’t. I flew in planes like those.” He pointed towards a massive cargo plane. “The C-97, biggest cargo plane made by Laiatan.”

“Ah. I see.”

“We’re only operate on the ground. We fly in planes piloted by the Air Force. We’re sort of like the Marines, only under the Air Force instead of the Navy.”

She nodded. “So, what was it like flying in one of those? I flew fighters, so I don’t know what the experience is, although I can imagine what it was like.”

“Smooth up until the point you’ve got to jump out over a territory you don’t even know the name of.”

She laughed a bit. “Ah I see. Well, just remember to buy rounds for any pilots who saved your tail when you jumped.”

“Usually the other way the round,” Stu replied grinning. “We would occasionally save a pilot. That’s usually up to the Pararescue. Plus we jumped ‘willingly’. If you can call following orders that.”

She laughed. “Hm…I recall a lot of grunts buying my wingmen and I with rounds for saving their tails sometimes, although it was the other way around too.”

“We almost never had air cover, so maybe that’s why we never had to.” He laughed.

“I see.” She joined Stu’s laughter. “Well, shouldn’t we find some seats or something?”

“Anywhere’s the seats. They fly all over the base, so they’re really hard to miss.”

"Okay. So, where’s the best place to see all of the action?’

“It varies year to year. We’re in a pretty good spot right now.”

“Okay. So, when should they be starting?”

“Just a few minutes. They’re getting ready to take off.” He pointed over to one of the runways, where six black ZSU-15 Strikers prepared to take off together. Each aircraft had a number painted on it, depending on its position. Each tail fin was painted with the national flag, each wing with the roundel, and the noses painted in a wolf-like face.

“The Strikers are quite impressive, but…Not as impressive as the Excalibur.” She smirked.

“At least the Strikers are able to out maneuver hostiles and destroy them.” Stu nudged Cecilia.

“That’s true.”

The Devil Dogs took off and began their maneuvers, taking advantage of the highly maneuverable aircraft.

“Impressive,” Cecilia said.

Stu nodded, watching the fighters. “Best of the best.”

“Indeed.”

The show continued for several minutes, and eventually came to a close with a cheer from a nearby crowd.

“Most impressive,” Cecilia said.

Stu nodded as he watched the six aircraft land in formation. “I agree, spectacular every time.”

She nudged him. “I’ll be sure to take you to one of our air shows.”

“Maybe the Devil Dogs will be there,” Stu chuckled.

“Maybe. I’ll be sure to…Wait a moment! Why you! You made me think that you were serious!”

“Well, I know they’ve done a few shows in Vulshain and in other countries. They’re mostly here, though.”

“Okay. So, what do you have plan for us for the rest of the day?”

“Never really had a plan. Anything you want to do?”

“Not sure. Want to go get some ice cream? I have a weird craving for rocky road.”

“Yeah, sure.” Stu replied, taking Cecilia’s hand as they returned to his car and returned to the area close to Stu’s house. They stopped off at a shopping center, where a small ice cream shop sat. He walked in with Cecilia.

Cecilia wrapped her arm around Stu’s, wagging her tail a bit.

Stu ordered two cones of rocky road, and handed one to Cecilia as he paid and thanked the shopkeeper. The two walked outside and sat in the store’s patio seating, a light breeze flowing through the air. Stu took a deep breath of the warm, humid air of Volkgoroda. “What’s Vulshain’s weather like?”

“About the same as Laiatan.”

“Not too much change, then.” He chuckled. “What time are you leaving?”

“Hm…I’ll probably leave the day after tomorrow.”

Stu nodded. “What about timewise? I know there’s like, three hours between here and Kitsuniva.”

“Well, probably sometime around 9 AM.”

Stu nodded. “I’ll see about going into work late that day so I can drive you to the airport.”

“Okay. That sounds good.” She kissed him on the cheek before returning to her ice cream.

Stu continued eating his ice cream. “So how’d you like your tour of the true Laiatan?”

“I enjoyed it very much, especially since I got to spend time with you.”

Stu smiled. “Good to hear.” He leaned in and kiss Cecilia’s cheek. “It’s a shame that it’ll be a few weeks before I see you again.”

“I know. But I did have to wait almost four months before I got to see you again,” she said, smiling. “I am looking forward to our wedding!”

“Me too,” he smiled.

“I can’t wait for you to see my hometown. It is a beautiful city. Kind of like Paris, except without the Effiel Tower.”

“Sounds like a nice place,” Stu said.
Stu finished off his ice cream cone, and leaned back in his chair.

“It is. We sometimes call it the City of the Beautiful Seasons, as no matter what season is, be it spring or fall, summer or winter, Kieounava is a wonder to behold.” She smiled.
She soon finished her ice cream as well, before leaning her head on Stu’s shoulders.

Stu put his arm around Cecilia as they remained seated for a few more minutes. Stu got up with Cecilia and stretched. “Any other ideas for the day?”

“Not sure. I doubt we could have a barbecue with your neighbors, or maybe we could.”

“Probably not tonight, but I could cook something on the grill. We’ll have to stop by the store.”

“Alright. Let’s see…How about grilled shrimp and lobster?”
“Oh and maybe some crab! I haven’t eaten crab in years.”

Stu laughed. “You can’t get great seafood this far inland, I should have taken you to the beach. Kobenst has great shrimp. Let’s see what the store’s got.”

“Oh okay. Didn’t realize that you can’t get lobster this far inland. Kind of a surprise. I mean you could get lobster in Kitsuniva, although it is expensive.”

“Oh, no. You can, but it’s not as good as on the coast.”

“That’s true.”

“Well, let’s go.” He walked with Cecilia to his car, and they stopped off at the store. They bought shrimp and fresh trout, caught from the Ryikon River. Stu fried up some of the shrimp, and grilled the other half when they got home. He grilled the trout, and made baked PAX FRUITS. Cecilia set the table, and Stu brought over two plates.

“You know Stu you are an excellent cook. I’m guessing you got that from your mom.”

Stu laughed. “Both of my parents, actually. My dad loves to cook.”

“Ah. I see. I actually got my cooking skills from my mom. Dad could cook, but since he was a Vekaiyun he didn’t cook that much.”

“Why not? Gender roles,” Stu asked as he began eating.

“Nope. Vekaiyuns don’t like to eat big meals. Probably coming from their religion I guess. Gluttony and stuff I suppose. Unlike vulpines from Vekaiyu, vulpines from Vulshain are able to eat a good bit more.”

“Probably from us,” Stu chuckled.

“That’s true. Some believe that children born from vulpine/lobo couples inherited the lobo’s strength and endurance. Of course that’s if the child is a vulpine. If a lobo pup, the pup will have inherited the vulpine’s agility and speed.”

Stu shrugged. “Maybe they’re actually a completely different species. Instead of just vulpine or lobo.”

Cecilia ate some of the trout. “Arthor was a mighty warlord and strategist who unified Vulshain long ago. He had massive palaces and temples built. However, as he got older he became paranoid. He would refuse to eat, and began to take mercury pills as back then mercury was believed to ward off evil spirits and demons. He had a massive mausoleum built for him.”
She smiled. “And this is where your Laiatanese dislike of anything rich and wealthy comes in.” She then explained.

“We don’t hate everything rich and wealthy. Just things that are excessive,” Stu interrupted.

“More than 700,000 labourers were employed to build the Mausoleum of the First Vulshainian Emperor. They dug through three layers of groundwater, filled the cracks with liquid copper, and then constructed palaces while reserving places for officials and rare treasures. Accounts state that that the interior of the mausoleum was to be a recreation of a garden.”

“Trees were fashioned with leaves made from green jade; the vault of the mausoleum was inlaid with chips of lapis lazuli to simulate the night sky, and pearls simulated the stars, while a river of mercury was to run through the garden. The upper wall of the mausoleum was decorated with additional astronomical images and below with geographic patterns.”

She finished by saying, “They also made pilot burners out of the giant salamanders’ fat. There are also many machine-operated traps in the mausoleum. Of course, records were lost after the fall of his empire, so it wasn’t till 1982 when his tomb was found.”

“And that’s probably too showing of his wealth and power huh?”

Stu chuckled and nodded. “Sounds like it.”

“And we haven’t excavated the main tomb yet, mainly due to several reasons. We’re worried that if we excavate the tomb the mercury will evaporate, while there is a fear of grave robbers, and not to mention we also want to attract tourism. This is a very important archaeological discovery and we must tread carefully.”

Stu nodded. “Don’t need anyone killed.”

OOC: Collab post between me and SY. This is still July by the way.

IC:

Cecilia was busy packing, while at the same time trying to clean house. “Oh I have to get everything straighten up before gets home,” she said.

Stu pulled into his driveway and climbed out, walking with his briefcase in hand. He unlocked the front door and walked in. “Cecilia, I’m home.”

“Oh welcome home. I didn’t think you would be home so early. I was trying to get everything packed. I was also trying to clean up before I left too.”

Stu smiled as he put an arm around her. “Don’t worry about the house, I’ll take care of that. Focus on getting packed.” He kissed her cheek.

“Alright, if you say so,” she said. She continued to get packed. “Stu! Where did I leave my laptop!?”

“Check the living room,” Stu replied as he helped her pack.

“Oh here it is. Thanks.” She continued to get packed. “Well, I’m almost finished. How was work?”

“Not too bad. Quick and easy day today.”

“That’s good. So, what did you do at work?”

“Paperwork, mostly. I’ve got to get it done by Monday, so I’ve got time.”

“That’s good to hear. So, any word on if you’ll be able to visit my hometown?”

“I’ll find out next week. Rygard’s got the Chiefs busy.”

“Ah. I see. Well, Rygard is going to get messy from what our intel says. The citizens are up in arms. Reports from the entire nation are coming in that civilians are starting to tear down statues and anything else that was a part of the military junta.”

Stu nodded. “They should save it until after the invasion’s over. They’re putting their lives at risk.”

“Try telling that to them. What worries me is the East Malaysians. There are reports coming in that they are gathering up and destroying any Rygardi tech. We think that smugglers and arms dealers smuggle East Malaysian technology to Rygard. Apparently, the East Malaysians don’t want their tech falling into the wrong hands, or since they’re already in the wrong hands, to get rid of it before someone else gets a hold to it. Pragmatic approach I guess.”

Stu nodded as he continued to help her pack. “Makes sense, I suppose. I wouldn’t want our tech getting in the hands of other countries unwillingly.”

“Same here. Of course, if we just happened to find it before they do…” She winked, wondering if he got the message.

Stu chuckled, and finished packing her suitcase. “That’s true.”

Cecilia grunted, trying to close one of her suitcases. “Close you blasted stupid son of a–EEEEKK!” The suitcase, as if taking offense, popped open, spilling clothes on top of Cecilia. “I’m okay.”

Stu laughed and helped her up, and began cleaning up her clothes.

“Thanks. I must have over packed it.” She blushed from embarrassment.

Stu smiled. “Nah, you just gotta put a bit more elbow grease into it.” They repacked it, and Stu managed to get the suitcase shut.

“Hm…” She crossed her arms, smiling. “Where would I be without you?”

“Vulshain.” Stu nudged her jokingly.

“Very funny,” she said, chuckling a bit. “Well, I’m packed now.”

“Well, what do you want to do for your last day?”

“Not sure. I had thought about eating at some fancy restaurant for a romantic lunch.”

Stu smiled. “Well, I know a great little place.” Stu began changing into nice civilian clothes.

“Oh?”

“Yeah, and it’s a fancier place than where we went yesterday.” Stu took Cecilia’s hand.

“Shall we?”

“Sure. Let’s go.” She smiled.

Stu took Cecilia out to his car, and they drove to a small cafe a few miles from Stu’s house. Stu got out with Cecilia, and they were seated by a waiter out on the patio, with a great view of the Volkgoroda skyline.

“Wow. This is quite fancy.” She began wagging her tail.

Stu smiled as he looked at Cecilia from over his menu. “Glad you think so.”

“Let’s see now.” She smiled back at him before looking at her menu. “I’ll have lobster,” she said.

“I’ll take the steak.” The waiter nodded, writing down the orders. “And for your drink?”

“Well…I would like to have…Sirvovk, please.”

“Make that two.” Stu handed the waiter their menus, and they went back to talking.

“So, any word from your brother?”

Stu nodded. “He’s still in Rygard. They’re about to make their own move on the capital.”

“That’s good to hear. Our troops are already starting to move into the capital. The East Malaysians have decided to make their move too, and have sent in troops as well.”

Stu nodded. “So I’ve read.”

“What kind of contact has Laiatan had with East Malaysia?”

“Just an embassy. That’s about it.”

“About the same with us. Although there was that incident with the Rygardi Embassy Guards opening fire on protesters. One of the people killed was an East Malaysian businessman. Luckily, the East Malaysians were angry at us, but at Rygard.”

Stu nodded. “I remember when that happened.”

“Yep. Sam and I were here visiting during my brother’s diplomatic tour when it happened. Still can’t believe that they opened fire like that.”

Stu nodded. “Anyway, enough about that. We’ll worry about that tomorrow.” Stu smiled as their drinks were brought to them. The waiter returned into the restaurant. Stu took a sip from his drink.

Cecilia smiled as she sipped her drink. “So, what is everyone at work saying about us?”

“They can’t wait to meet you at the wedding. They’re happy for us.” Stu smiled.

“I know the feeling. I can’t wait for our wedding.” She was very happy, as could be seen by her wagging tail. “How does Zak’s schedule look in terms of being able to see our wedding?”

“He should be able to make it, but I’ll have to talk to him,” Stu replied, taking a moment to think.

She smiled. “So, when is your bachelor party?”

“Later this month or a few weeks before the wedding, we aren’t completely sure yet.”

“Okay,” she said. “Any plans or anything special for the party?”

“We’ll probably be going to a casino here, then the shooting range.”

“Casino!?” Cecilia nearly choked on her drink.

Stu laughed. “What, are casinos not in just about every major city in Vulshain?”

“No. In fact, only Purukan, Musimi, and Teliginix have casinos, and pretty much are regulated by the government to keep them from becoming used by crime syndicates and gangs,” she said. “I didn’t realize that gambling was popular in Laiatan.”

“Well, you have to get a permit for legal gambling anywhere, even in a little bar. It’s mostly in the touristy areas; they double as hotels.”

“Ah. About the same in Vulshain, actually. Still, not many people get into gambling though, but they are popular in resorts and hotels. Purukan has the most casinos. Still, I didn’t realize you gamble.”

“Only sometimes, it’s not like I go out every day. Most I’ve won at one time was about a thousand Rublas.”

She laughed before sighing in relief. “That’s good. For a moment, I thought I was going to have to bail you out every time you went to casino. Um…That was a bad joke wasn’t it?” She laughed at her own bad joke.

Stu laughed. “It wasn’t that bad.”

The waiter returned with their food, and Stu began eating after thanking him.

“So, what are you going to do when I leave to go back home?”

“Work, prepare for the wedding. Normal stuff. See if I can go visit you.”

She smiled. “After I get back home, I’ll probably be preparing for the wedding and also dealing with any thing major. Have to work on reviewing a new law involving conflict minerals.”

Stu nodded. “Like Blood Diamonds?”

“Yep. Vulshain has a strong stance against conflict minerals. However, some politicians want to revise the law. Before it didn’t matter if a mineral started out as a conflict mineral or not, but some people want to have it where you can still mine minerals as long as they didn’t start out as conflict minerals.”

Stu nodded. “That would make a bit of sense. Or maybe when the conflict is over, you can begin using and mining them.”

She nodded. “It could help our economy some by revising the law, although some groups, like the Green Party and the Peacenik Society Party, are against changing the law.”

Stu continued to eat. “Environmental reasons?”

“That and to promote international peace,” she replied as she ate.

“I’m not sure what laws we have against those, only that their illegal to import. Blood diamonds, at least.”

“Same with us. Blood diamonds and other conflict minerals were used by radicals and insurgents during the Vulshainian Civil War to finance their terrorist acts. Arms dealers usually don’t care how you pay. Hell, a few will even trade weapons for pleasure slaves…Don’t ask.”

“I won’t,” Stu said chuckling. “How’s your food?”

“It’s very good. How’s yours?”

“It’s great.” Stu replied as he ate a bit. He looked out to the Volkgoroda skyline, the buildings beginning to light up. He pointed to the tallest tower. “That’s the Mastrokov Building. Tallest building in Laiatan.”

“Wow. The skyline looks beautiful,” she said, as she gazed out at the buildings.

Stu nodded as he looked at the buildings. Several of the buildings had signs on the side, lit up, denoting who owned and ran the building.

“It’s quite romantic. I see why you wanted to bring me here,” Cecilia said.

Stu smiled. “Yeah, it is.”

“Reminds me so much of home,” she said as she began to fond memories of her home.

Stu smiled as he finished his meal, and drank a bit of his drink.

Cecilia finished her meal as well, as she stared at the skyline, making sure such a sight was branded into her memory for all time.

“You can see the entire city further up the road.” Stu motioned towards the road and how it ascended a large hill.

“Can you take me there, please,” she asked, wanting to see more.

“Sure,” Stu replied with a smile. He paid for the dinner, and the two returned to Stu’s car. They headed up the hill, and came to a stop on the side of the road.

Cecilia’s jaw hung open as she stared at the scenery, speechless from the beauty. She held Stu’s hand tight.

“Fourteen million people in the greater metropolitan area, ten million of those in the city itself…” Stu looked over the skyline and the miles the city continued on in both directions.

“Amazing…and breathtaking…”

Stu nodded and put his arm around Cecilia.

Cecilia put her arm around his, resting her head against his shoulder.

Stu straightened his tie in the mirror as a light rain fell over the city. He picked up Cecilia’s bags. “Ready to go Cecilia?”

“Yep,” she said as she straightened her Premier outfit. “Ted should be waiting for us at the airport,” she added as she grabbed her suitcase.

He nodded as he placed his coat on. “A little rainy today.” Stu walked out carrying several of Cecilia’s bags while she carried his briefcase. He loaded up his car, and climbed into the car with Cecilia. He backed out, and they headed off to the airport.

“Yeah a little bit,” she said, a bit saddened that she was leaving.

Stu nodded and put his hand on her knee. “It’s okay, I’ll be seeing you again in a couple of weeks.” He smiled.

She smiled, taking comfort in that. “I look forward to seeing you again.”

Stu smiled as they continued driving to the airport, and eventually arrived. Stu was able to get back to the parking area where Cecilia’s airplane was parked.

She sighed. “I guess I better hurry,” she said as she got out.

Stu climbed out and took her bags again, and carried them to the plane.

“I’ll take those, Commandant,” Ted said as he and another CPG carried them onto the plane. Cecilia sighed again as she wished she didn’t have to leave.

Stu handed Ted Cecilia’s bags, and hugged Cecilia tight.

She returned the hug. “Well, this is just a temporary goodbye. I’ll call you when I get home safe and sound.”

Stu smiled and kissed her. “I’ll talk to you in a few hours, and I’ll see you in a few weeks.”

She kissed him back. “Same here. Here…” She took off a golden heart-shaped locket and handed it to Stu. The locket had some damage on one side where something had hit it. Inside the locket were two pictures: Cecilia’s parents. “This locket saved my life when a sniper fired a shot at my heart…It was a few days after my parents had died. They were looking out for me. I want you to hold on to it until I see you again. Just promise me you’ll wear it until then.” She smiled. “In Vulshain when you give someone something of great importance to you, it means you are destined to see them again. I’m hoping my parents keep you safe just as they did me.”

Stu smiled. “I’ll wear it every time I’m out of uniform, and I’ll keep it same in my pocket when I am.” He took the locket and placed it into the pocket closest to his heart.

“Thank you,” she said smiling.

He kissed her again as he walked with her towards the plane.

She held his hand. “I enjoyed my stay here with you. It was a wonderful experience visiting. Tell your parents I look forward to seeing them again, when they visit me. I want to have their say in the wedding preparations, too.”

Stu laughed and smiled. “Alright. I had a great time with you here too.”

She smiled. “I better get going now. Take care and I love you.”

Stu smiled and kissed her one more time. “I love you too. See you soon.”

“See you soon as well.”

Stu returned to his car and climbed inside, but stayed to watch her take off.

Cecilia looked out of her window as the plane received clearance to take off. The plane began to take off, before ascending into the air.

Stu smiled as he watched the plane take off, then drove away from the airport, headed to work.