Cecilia's Visit to Laiatan

Kitsuniva, Vulshain

Cecilia Rainard, Royal Confederate Premier of Vulshain, sighed as she finished another meeting. She had finally decided to have the new Department of Internal and External Intelligence and Security report directly to her, but DIEIS also reported her brother, King Samuil Rainard.

Of course, this meeting wasn’t about DIEIS. It was about the production of Vulshain’s new military technologies. The siege tank, Goliath, Golem, Excalibur, Heimdal, and surprisingly Caladbolg were approved by a Military Budget Board. The marauder armor and equipment had also been approved as well. The Banshee was also approved, minus the cloaking technology, which as was explained back when Zak and Stu visited last year at Christmas time, a waste of resources and effort. The Caladbolg was finally working at full capacity. The Fenrir was still having problems. The mind control interface was looking more and more like it would be scrapped in order to keep the Fenrir from being scrapped as well.

She sighed as she prepared for another meeting…

This one involving what to do about the Listonian-Vekaiyun Conflict…

“Four months…Four stinking months!” Cecilia thought as she continued her paperwork. It had been nearly four months since Stu and her had proposed to eaach other. She really missed him. She wondered what he was doing right about now. “Maybe talking with parents about us getting married, or playing golf with a member of the brass,” she thought. Sighing, she continued her paperwork. An assistant brought in more paperwork. He had barely entered her office, when upon seeing another tall stack of papers, she broke her pen in half. Her assistant, shocked, quickly decided that backing out of her office would be a good and smart idea.

Cecilia played the video game she had gotten when she and Stu had gone shopping. She had finished it last month, but it helped calm her nerves. The past four months, especially the last several weeks, had been exhausting for her. She sighed as she turned her computer off. “Come on Cecilia, get a grip. You can easily pick up the phone and call him. Wait, it’s nighttime there as well. He’s probably asleep. Better wait until tomorrow. Got to make sure to squeeze in a moment that I can call him between meetings.”

The next day…

Cecilia got her chance. Luckily for her, she didn’t have as meetings as she did yesterday, or the day before, or the day before that…

She dialed his number. “Yes, patch me through to Commandant Stewart Riskotov. This is the Royal Confederate Premier of the Confederacy of Vulshain, Cecilia Rainard speaking.” She tapped her fingers on her desk waiting for him to pick up. It was already almost noon. She hoped that she hadn’t missed him when he went out to his lunch break…

OOC: This is a collab post between myself and Vulshain.

Stu walked into the Miugonik, his mirror-like shined shoes clacking against the tile floor. Two uniformed FSO officers nodded to him as he walked passed them to the staff elevator. He slid his identification card, and the elevator doors opened. Most of the elevator buttons lit up, indicating which floors he had access to. He selected the ‘Offices’ button, and the elevator quickly took him to his floor. The doors opened and Stu stepped out onto his floor. He walked down the hallway to his office, located near the Chief of Staff offices, and opened the door. Stu placed his service cap as well as his service coat onto the wooden coat rack near the door. He walked passed his lounge area, consisting of two chairs and a couch, and continued to his desk. He set his briefcase down on the desk and poured himself a cup of coffee. He sat down in his black leather rolling chair and set his coffee down. The blinking light on his desk phone caught his eye. He picked up the receiver and selected the ‘Line One’ button. “Kommandant Stewart Riskotov,” Stu said into the receiver, speaking Lobonese.

“Ah…hello, Stu,” Cecilia said in Lobonese. “How are you doing sweetie?”

Stu smiled when he heard Cecilia’s voice. “I’m doing great, how are honey?”

“I doing well, aside from the occasional death threats from various Laiatan, Vekaiyun, and Vulshainian crime syndicates. I guess interfering with their operations has ticked quite a few off.” She rested her bare feet on her desk as she continued, “But anyhow, I plan to take a few days off. I think my brother can manage to hold the nation together until I get back. We plan to put Rivers on trial somtime next week. The tyrant has even demanded to represent himself in court!” Cecilia barked a laugh. “Of course, no one knows where the tribunal will take place. We don’t want him to become a martyr.”

Stu nodded. “Yeah, I would keep that location secret for as long as possible.”

“Of course, I do plan to visit you after I wrapped up things here.”

“Oh yeah?” Stu replied, smiling. “When will that be?”

“Probably Monday. I will be trying to arrive sometime around noon Laiatan Mountain time,” she said.

“Okay, that sounds great,” Stu replied.
“What are you going to fly in on? Private or commercial?”

“Probably private. The CPG don’t want to take any chances after the attempt on my brother last year, where all hell broke loose during the DIEIS fisaco,” she replied.

“Okay,” Stu said as he took out a sheet of paper and wrote down a few things. “Are you flying into Volkgoroda?”
Brenton Hudson says
“I believe so, unless you want me to fly somewhere else.”

“No, that’ll work.”

“Alright. I don’t think there will be a lot of publicity now,” she said.

“Yeah, probably not. Kind of expensive to shut down roadways.”

“I bet it is,” she said. “So, have you had a chance to tell your parents about our engagement?”

“I have, and they can’t wait to meet you.”

Smiling, Cecilia said, “I’m looking forward to meeting them as well. I can’t wait to see you again, love.”

“Can’t wait to see you again too,” Stu said smiling.

“So, how are things in Laiatan since you and Zak got back? It’s been four months since I last saw you, so I’m guessing a lot has happened.”

“It’s been relatively calm, actually. No riots or protests, everything went smoothly for April 19th.”

“Ah, the founding of modern Laiatan by Zukov. Yes, I read about it in the paper. You must have been glad to spend time with your family that day.”

“Yeah. Nice to take a few days off. Zak actually dropped in on a complete stranger’s cookout, but the homeowner didn’t mind one bit,” Stu said, chuckling.

“Yes, I read about that. Very clever of him. Probably earned him some points with the voters,” Cecilia said.

“Yeah. Zak’s one of those ‘People’s presidents’. Goes out into public and interacts with the citizens almost daily.”

“Sam tries to do that, too. Sort of a people’s king if you will. He’s been doing it a lot more now, ever since the attempt on his life last year. He wants to assure people that he still cares about them and that he is there for them. I’m been doing a little myself, too. Mostly charities and a few speeches here and there, and maybe talking with some people in the park.”
*Sort of a people’s king if you will

“Ah, yeah,” Stu said. “The people love Zak. I don’t see anyway he could lose this election.”

“That’s true, unless he does something stupid. Nothing comes to mind to be honest.”

“Yeah, I don’t think that’ll be happening. He knows what’s riding on the election.”

“Well, there are some people here who think that he didn’t do enough during the DIEIS fisaco, when Vulshainian refugees fleeing into Laiatan were used for target practice by terrorists and mercs. 231 people died. Now, I know that you and him did everything possible to help us, some think Zak could have done more. Just giving you and him a heads- up on that minefield.”

Stu nodded. “That’s true, but we usually respect a nation’s sovereignty and wait until aid is requested. We don’t force another country to accept our help.”

“I fully understand Stu. Still, people think that because of our alliance, that Laiatan should have immediately come to our aid during that crisis. Of course, I don’t want other nations thinking that Vulshain is being babied by Laiatan. This country is a grown-up, and I want others to know that.” She paused for a moment. “Um…Did I sound like a warmongering world leader? That was creepy.”

“No, you sounded like a perfectly rational nationalist.”

“Thank you…I think. Anyhow, I emailed you files on several of our crime syndicates. Thought you could use them. They mostly include the Libanelio Syndicate, the Valentino Gambino Mob, Matranio Gang, and the Valella-Noto Family. The Libanelio Syndicates had planned to expand into Laiatan after allying with one of your crime syndicates. I think you took that syndicate a couple years back during that insurgent activity around the time my brother was made king. They were not happy with that setback and have been trying to expand into your nation once again.”

“Well, hopefully that won’t happen,” Stu said.

"It probably won’t. I’m cracking down hard on these syndicates as I want to send a clear message to them, especially since they probably were involved in the attempt on my brother’s life: don’t tick me off. Catchy huh?”

Stu chuckled. “Yup, that sounds good.”

“I’m glad that you like it. Well, I best let you get back to work now. I’ll call and let you know when I about to leave.”

“Okay. Have a good day, honey.”

“You too, love.” She hung up the phone and proceeded to finish up her work before her next meeting.

Stu hung up his phone as well, and began going through his paperwork.

OOC: Collab post between me and SY.

Cecilia was tired and exhausted. She had been busy going to meetings, talking with politicans, and visiting various citizens, while also getting ready to visit Stu. She was having difficulty staying awake. She saw that they were nearing the runway. She wondered if Stu was there to meet her. “I told him this morning that I would be arriving around noon Mountain Time. Wait, what time is it other when I called?” Cecilia stretched a bit before taking a deep breath and sighing.

A black four door sedan with government plates pulled into the fenced off aircraft parking area and came to a stop at a predetermined parking spot for Cecilia’s plane. The driver and passenger side doors opened, and two well-dressed Lobo males stepped out of the sedan. They stood side-by-side on the right side of the sedan. One of the men placed his hands on his hips, revealing his badge and pistol. The two began talking. In the control tower, the air traffic controllers took notice of Cecilia’s plane.

“This is Confederate Plane Sigma-Delta, requesting permission to land,” the pilot asked.

“Confederate Plane Sigma-Delta, permission to land granted,” the air traffic controller replied. “Land at Runway Zero-Niner.”

“Roger that control tower. Proceeding to Runway Zero-Niner. Over.” The plane soon landed. Cecilia, still tired, got out of her seat. A human CPG was nearby and handed her her coat. It was her new Premier uniform, except the colors matched her Air Force uniform. “Thank you Ted.”

“No problem, Premier. You okay? You looked rough around the edges.”

“Just a bit tired that’s all. I should be fine.” The CPG nodded. He opened the door for her. After straightening her uniform, she readied herself.

The two Lobo men stopped talking when the aircraft was taxied into the parking spot by a tractor. The plane was rotated so that the door was facing them. The two remained where they stood.

A staircase was wheeled up to the door to allow Cecilia to exit the aircraft.

Cecilia exited the aircraft, although she was a bit slow, mainly due to being tired. She thought, “He better not make a jet lag joke.” Ted came out of the plane as well.

The two FSO agents approached Cecilia and Ted. “Welcome to Laiatan, Premier Rainard,” one of them said as he extended his hand.

“Thank you,” she said as she shook his hand. “I’m surprised Commandant Riskotov isn’t here to greet me, or even the President himself.” It was meant as a joke.

The agent in charge chuckled a bit. “Well, they do still have work to do.”

“Anyway, if you come with us we’ll take you right to the Miugonik.”

“Alright. Lead the way.”

Ted had got her luggage for her. “Do we need to check these through customs,” he asked.

The lead agent shook his head. “Don’t worry about it, I’m sure you two aren’t smuggling drugs or some kind of weapon.”

“Now why would I want to do such a thing,” she said, laughing. She didn’t have the heart to tell them that she had brought along her Magnum autorevolver just in case. “I’m guessing Commandant Riskotov will be meeting me at the Miugonik, then, correct,” she asked as she got into the car.

The lead agent shut the door behind her and got into the passenger’s seat. “That’s correct. We’ll take you right to his office.” The second agent got into the driver’s seat and turned on the car. He began driving the four out of the airport. The lead agent turned around. “By the way, I’m Agent Suikov, and this is Agent Rynov.” Rynov looked into the rear-view mirror. “Nice to meet you.”

“Nice to you as well,” Cecilia said. “This Ted Jackson, a member of the Confederate Protection Guards.”

“Nice to meet you both as well. We CPGs are sort of like the Royal Secret Service found in other countries,” he said.

Suikov nodded. “We’re from the Federal Protective Service. We’re essentially the Secret Service, but our duties and allowances are much more… free.”

The car continued down the road and turned onto the freeway.

“Free?” Cecilia asked.

“We can do things that others can’t.”

“More freedom to complete our jobs,” Rynov added.

“By that you mean, if the President wanted you to quietly get rid of a mob boss or drug lord, you could do it and no one would raise a fuss about it,” Cecilia asked.

“No comment,” Suikov said, grinning.

She nodded. “Will I need some sort of badge or ID card or even fill out any forms before I enter the Miugonik,” she said.

“You’ll be given a Visitor’s Badge. It’ll get you to the lobby, food court and tour area, but that’s about it. We’ll accompany you down to the offices where we can get you a limited access badge,” Suikov replied.

“What areas am I prohibited from entering?”

“The War Room, offices, Command and Control, and any level past -2 and +1,” Suikov began. “but if you keep the Commandant with you, you’ll be fine.”

The car pulled into the parking garage of the Miugonik. “Okay, we’re here,” Rynov said. The two agents exited the vehicle and opened the doors for Cecilia and Ted.

“Any areas that I cannot enter even with the Commandant?”

“Anywhere after the War Room,” Suikov said, shutting the door behind Cecilia.

“What’s after the War Room?”

“Command and Control, and a few other places that are classified for security reasons.”

“There’s a reason the War Room, Command and Control and other areas were built that deep into the earth,” Rynov said.

“Ah I see. Well, I guess we should visit the Commandant, provided he isn’t extremely busy. I don’t want to bother him if he is in the middle of an important meeting or project.”

“I think his schedule is pretty clear today,” Suikov said. He lead the group over to the elevators. He slid his identification card, and a small circle opened on the wall, as well as a small thumbprint scanner. Suikov looked into the retina scanner and placed his thumb on the scsanner. A ding was heard and a small green light lit up on the ID card scanner. The doors opened, and Suikov stepped inside, waiting for the others.

Ted and Cecilia entered the elevator. Cecilia yawned a bit. “Excuse me. A bit tired.”

“No worries, I understand.” Rynov followed behind them, and the door shut behind them. All of the buttons on the elevator panel were lit up, except for one. Suikov pressed the ‘Offices’ button, and the elevator began taking the group down into the Miugonik.

The elevator came to a stop on the offices level, and the doors opened.

“So, how far down does the Miugonik go?”

“The last floor is about 20 stories deep.”

“Wow. How long has the Miugonik been around?”

“It was started in 1948 and was completed in 1953. There have been improvements, like the addition of the bunkers in the 1970s. We didn’t want a well placed bunker buster take out our entire Joint Cheifs of Staff. The offices are above ground, with everything else important and crucial to our military below ground,” Suikov said.

“So, where is the Commandant’s offices?” Cecilia had been wearing gloves and took them off revealing that she had bandages all over her fingers.

Suikov noticed, but didn’t pry. “Right around this corner.” The group walked to Stu’s office door. Suikov knocked and opened the door. Peering in, he scanned the office. “Huh, he’s not in here.” Suikov opened the door further to allow Cecilia and Ted entrance. Suikov pointed to the couch. “Just take a seat, I’m sure he’ll be in here in a moment.”

Inside was a massive office, a desk and computer on the far end of the room, and a leather couch, two leather chairs and an oak table couch, two chairs and a table closer to the center. The office offered an amazing view of Volkgoroda through the massive windows the office featured.

“Understood. If it’s anything, Premier, I’ll wait outside. I don’t think some sort of crime syndicate’s hitmen are going to try to crash through the window, guns ablazing in an attempt to kill you,” Ted said. Cecilia nodded as she sat down on the leather couch.

“No one has ever been assassination here before right,” Ted asked Suikov.

“Never,” Suikov said. “Besides, we’re on the second floor, and those windows are completely bullet-proof. Most they’ll do is shatter, but they’ll stay in place.”

“Okay. Well, the windows of the Rhombus are both shatter-proof and bullet-proof. We had one stupid assassin try to crash through a window. Quite easy to arrest someone when they’re unconscious,” he said, with a smirk. Cecilia sighed. “So, is the Commandant in a meeting somewhere?”

Suikov looked at his watch. “He should be getting back from lunch, actually.”

Murmuring was heard from outside the heavy wooden door of Stu’s office. The door began opening, and Stu’s voice could be heard. “I told you the Lions would beat the Cubs today. You owe me ten rublas,” which was followed by a laugh. “Talk to you later!” The door opened all the way and Stu walked into his office.

Stu balled up some aluminum foil and tossed it in the trash can next to the door.

Cecilia smiled as Stu entered the room. “I didn’t think military officers were supposed to bet,” she said.

Stu looked up and smiled when he saw Cecilia. “It’s not a bet if you know you’re going to win.” He walked up to her and kissed her.

She kissed back. “Hm…I’ll have to remember that.” She stretched a bit. “Sorry, if I’m not my usual active self. I’ve been run ragged since we talked last week as I was busy with meetings, charity events, speeches at schools, chaperoning a school dance, and working with corporations in building Vulshain’s new fighters and tanks.”

“All that matters is you’re here now, and can relax,” Stu said. Suikov led Rynov and Ted outside, the heavy door silently closing behind them.

Stu looked down at Cecilia’s fingers. “What happened?”

“Oh these. I was knitting you a scarf that’s all. Nothing serious really.” She laid down on the couch. “So, you were out at lunch huh?”

“Aw, thanks,” Stu said, smiling. He took a seat in one of the chairs and nodded. “Yup.”

She nodded. “So, where did you go?”

“Just to the Gordioniv’s in the food court here.”

“Ah. I see. What else do they have there—Wait, food court?”

“It’s a big room with a bunch of different restaurants for the staff here.”

“I know what a food court is. I was just surprised that you have a food here.”

Stu nodded. “We do. Makes it a lot easier to get food than driving into the city.”

“That’s true.”

“So, how’ve you been these last few months?”

“Oh I’ve been doing okay. There were times it was stressful, especially when I had to go to several meetings one after another. But overall, things are good. We finally got all of the bugs worked out of the Caladbolg fighter, and it was approved by the Military Budget Committee. The Excalibur has already started production, and we just rolled out our first ten Excaliburs.”
“The mechs were approved as well, but we won’t be producing as many, not until the economy has picked up some more.”

She shifted a bit in the couch. “Sorry, I had to go to several meetings before I left Vulshain for here. I’m a bit tired at the moment. So, how’s Zak’s approval ratings?”

Stu smiled. “Well that’s good to hear. Don’t worry about being tired, I’ve been there before. As for Zak’s approval ratings, they’re through the roof. Up to about 87% last I checked. I don’t know how he does it.”

“I think that makes him the highest approved president in the history of Laiatan.”

Laughing a bit, Cecilia said, “Well, he must be doing something right to get such a high approval rating.”

“I would assume so,” Stu replied, also chuckling.

Stu stood up. “If you want, you can take a nap here. I’ve got a couple of things I need to finish, then we can go.”

“Thanks. I might go ahead and take a nap.” She took her shoes off and put them on the floor. “It’s good to rest…And…could you pick me…something from the food court as yawn as well if possible. Haven’t eaten…anything today.” Cecilia fell asleep, snoring softly.

Stu smiled and quickly headed back to the food court, and returned with a sandwich. He set it on the table and headed over to his desk, and began working again.

Cecilia rested for quite a while. She soon woke up from her night. Stretching, she said, “Ah! I needed that nap. Ah thanks for the sandwich!” She got up and started eating it.

Stu smiled from behind his computer. “No problem.” He continued typing, and stopped after a few minutes. His printer began printing a few pages. He took the pages and stapled them together. He placed them in a folder, then placed it on top of his briefcase.

“I’ll let you finish that sandwich, I need to run this file down to the Chief of the Air Force’s office,” Stu said picking up the folder.

“Sure. And don’t worry, I won’t plunder through your files…much,” she said with a wink.

“I’d be careful, some of those files could lead to imprisonment,” Stu said heading out the door, winking back.

“I’m joking.” She laughed a bit. After he left, she thought, “Wonder if it has anything to do with those chemicals a couple years back.” She finished her sandwich. “Ah. Relaxation, here I come. Just several weeks of no meetings, no politicans, and no mountains of paperwork.”

Stu came back in a few minutes later without the file. “Okay, ready to go?”

When Stu came back, she smiled. “Sure.” She put her shoes back on.

Stu grabbed his briefcase, shut down his computer, and turned off the lights. He grabbed his service cap from the coat rack and opened the door for Cecilia.

After Cecilia walked out, Stu turned off the lights and locked the door behind them.

Ted followed behind them as well. “Stu, this is Ted Jackson of the CPG.”

“Nice to meet you Commandant.”

“Nice to meet you as well.” Stu noticed Suikov and Rynov. “Andry, Dortin, good to see you again.” The two agents smiled as they followed the group. “You too, Commandant.”

“I take it you three know each other,” Cecilia said.

“They’re assigned to me whenever I go out on important meetings and other events. In other words, they’re my body guards.”

“I see.”

The group got out to the parking garage. Suikov and Rynov got Cecilia’s luggage and brought it over to Stu’s car, a 2009 Uklonei.

Stu put the bags in the trunk. “Ready to go?”

“Ready when you are,” she said. “So, where do you want me to sit?”

“The passenger seat up front,” Stu said, opening the door for her.

“Thank you,” Cecilia said, as she got into the front passenger seat.

“Thanks you two,” Stu said, shaking Suikov and Rynov’s hands. “Ted, do you have arrangements made for where you’re staying?”

“I’ll be staying at the Vulshainian embassy,” he said.

“Okay. Andry and Dortin can take you.”

“Sure. That’ll do. You take care of Premier,” he said.
“You too Ted,” Cecilia said. After the bodyguards left, Cecilia gave Stu a license.

Stu looked at it a bit puzzled. “What’s this for?”

“Your Vulshainian fishing license. You can fish anywhere in Vulshain now.”

Stu smiled. “Aw, thanks. Can’t wait to use it.” He kissed Cecilia before backing out of the parking spot and began driving to his home.

“So where do you live? The Wolfsden?”

“No, I’ve got my own house,” Stu said.

“Not to far from here, actually,” he said as he continued driving, taking a few turns. About twenty minutes later, Stu pulled onto a street where neighborhood kids played and his neighbors waved to him. He pulled into the driveway of a single story brick house.
The lawn was well kept, as were the bushes, trees and flowers.

Cecilia looked around, surprised. “You mean…you live here?”

Stu turned off his car and nodded. “Mhmm.”

“I…I thought you lived in the Wolfsden. I mean…Well, I also kind of suspected you might lived in a two-story or a big house or something.”

Stu shook his head. “Only the First Family lives in the Wolfsden. Besides, I don’t need a two-story house.”

“Oh?”

“I don’t have kids yet, and I bought it before I met you. So it didn’t cross my mind when I bought a house.”

Laughing a bit, Cecilia smiled. “It’s okay. I used to live in a two-story house after the Civil War. My brother needed help with his…problem. So, he lived with me for until he became the Monarch of Vulshain. Well, I hope you’re ready to give me the grand tour.”

“Sure am,” Stu said smiling. He got out of the car and pulled out Cecilia’s luggage. He walked it to the front door and waited for Cecilia.

Cecilia got out of the car. It was then that several of Stu’s neighbors took notice and looked at her. “Oh dear. This doesn’t look good. I wonder what they’re thinking,” she thought as she hurriedly walked to the door to catch up with Stu.

Stu unlocked the front door and set it inside next to the door. “Well, here it is.” Stu and Cecilia were in the living room once they walked in. Inside the floors were wooden, and a rug covered the living room area. On the rug sat a couch and coffee table. In front of the couch and table was a 32-inch television. “Well, here’s the living room,” Stu said, shutting the door behind him.

“Looks nice,” she said. “How long have you lived here?”

“Three years.”

“Ah. I see. Some of your neighbors…looked at me funny when I got out of your car. I hope I’m not going to cause problems.”

“I don’t know why you would,” Stu said.

She smiled. “So, what’s the rest of the house like?”

Stu took Cecilia’s hand and led her around the house, pointing out the bathroom, kitchen/dining room, and his bedroom. “Then there’s the backyard,” Stu said, taking her out back. There was a pool, a grill and a few pieces of lounge furniture.

Cecilia smiled. “So, you ever lounge around on your days and just act lazy by the pool, or even just grill yourself and your neighbors a hot meal?”

“Of course. I do it all the time.”

Laughing, Cecilia saw some of the neighbors were kind of looking at her. “Um…”

“Don’t worry about it,” Stu said.

Cecilia waved at them, smiling.
“Aren’t you going to introduce me to them?”

“Of course,” Stu said, taking Cecilia over to the chainlink fence dividing the backyards. His neighbors, a male and female Lobo, walked over from their side. He shook the hand of the male Lobo, then the female. “Gregori, Kathryn, good to see you.” The couple smiled. “You too, Stu. And who is this lovely lady?” Stu put his arm around Cecilia and smiled. “This is the Vulshainian Premier and my fiancé, Cecilia Rainard.”

Cecilia smiled. “Hello. Nice to meet you Gregori and Kathryn,” Ceclia said.

“Nice to meet you too,” Gregori said, smiling and extending his hand.

Cecilia shook his hand. “I guess I’m going to be the talk of the neighborhood real soon,” she said with a laugh.

“I’m sure you will once word spreads,” Kathryn said, smiling.

Nodding, Cecilia said, “I will be staying a few weeks, just to get away from the office for awhile, so, I can bet it will really really soon.”

Gregori nodded. “Well, we hope you have a nice time. It’s beautiful out here this time of year.”

“It is indeed. You should travel to Vulshain once in a while. Vulshain’s blue roses are renowned world wide as Vulshain is one of the few places in the world where blue roses grow naturally. No one knows why. But, it seems Stu here does an excellent job of taking care of his garden.”

Kathryn nodded. “That he does.” A low rumbling sound could suddenly be heard. Stu and the Lobo couple looked up as three Vi-8 helicopters flew overhead.

“Is there a military base nearby,” the Vulshainian Premier asked.

“Volkgoroda Air Force Base,” Stu said. “We get helicopters and planes fly over every once in a while.”

“I see.” Turning back to Stu’s neighbors, she asked, “So, has Stu ever been late for work and rushed out of the house to make a mad dash to the office?” She laughed a bit.

Kathryn laughed and nodded. “I’ve seen him leave once or twice in a rush.”

“Hmm…” Cecilia looked at Stu and smiled.

“I blame my alarm, not me,” Stu said, chuckling.

“How many alarms do you have?”

“One.”

“Silly. I always set as many alarms as I can. I try to have as many as four set to go. Usually all over my room to make me get out of bed.” She laughed a bit. “I might have to set some alarms for you too.”

Stu chuckled a bit. “I keep my alarm on my desk on the other side of my room, but it still doesn’t work.”

“Doesn’t work?”

“I just get right back into bed.”

“How often does that happen? And you probably need to get some more alarms.”

“Daily. I set it at least 30 minutes early to account for it, though.”

Laughing, she smiled. “Well, I’ll have to help you out some. I brought along some alarms of my own with me.”

“Well, maybe you can,” Stu said, smiling. Gregori chuckled. “Alright, talk to you later Stu.” They shook hands. “Nice to meet you, Cecilia. Have a good day,” Kathyrn said, shaking Cecilia’s hand.

“You as well. Take care now,” Cecilia said. “Any other neighbors you have that I could meet?”

“Yeah, but they aren’t home yet.”

“Okay. Well, I guess we go back inside and I can get my things unpacked.”

“Okay,” Stu said, walking baack in with Cecilia.

Cecilia, after getting back inside, starting unpacking. “I know this may look bad, but I brought along my pistol just in case, as I have received a lot of death threats from Vulshainian mob bosses. I hope it won’t be a problem.”

Stu shook his head. “Not a problem. You can put it with mine.”

“Okay that is good.” She handed her autorevolver to Stu to put away. “Where should I put my clothes?”

“Cleared out the two top drawers for you, and there’s room in the closet,” Stu said as he walked over to a gun case near the bed. He unlocked it and opened it up, revealing his rifle, shotgun and two pistols. He set the autorevolver on the shelf next to his two pistols.
He began undressing and rifled through his clothes, taking out a t-shirt and shorts.
He sat down on his bed, and watched Cecilia.

Cecilia hummed to herself. “So, what did you have to see the Chief of the Air Force for?” She was almost done unpacking and putting up her clothes. She hung a couple of dresses in the closet.

“I just needed to drop off a file to him.”
Stu said, leaning back onto his pillow.

“So, what do you have to do tomorrow? Do you have to go back to work tomorrow?”

“No, I’m on leave for a couple of weeks. Leave tends to add up after a couple years of not using it.”

She smiled. “So, you have some time to stick around and stay with me.” She changed into a pair of shorts and a T-shirt. “So, do you need help with doing anything around the house?”

Stu shook his head. “Took care of everything last night. We can do whatever you want.”

"Hm…Well, what do you usually do on your days off?

“Swim in the pool a bit, watch a bit of TV, go out for a run. I don’t usually have weeks off of work.”

She smiled. “Well, how about a swim in the pool. Good thing I brought a couple of swimsuits with me. Then after that, maybe supper and a little bit of TV.”

“Okay, sure.”
Stu changed into a pair of swimming trunks and waited for Cecilia.

Cecilia came out wearing a two-piece bathing suit. “Alright, let’s have some fun.”

Stu walked outside with Cecilia and jumped into the pool.

Cecilia lounged by the pool for a bit, before getting in as well. She backstroked, smiling.

Stu smiled as well as he floated passed on his back.

“This is good. No boring meetings, no arguing with bureacrats, no filling out mountains of paperwork. This is really good,” she said.

“I know. I love spending time out here,” Stu replied.

“Yep. I can see why you do. It is very pleasant here.”
“You must spend a lot of time with the neighbors too,” she added.

“Most of us do,” Stu said. “It’s pretty community oriented out here.”

“I see. That’s good to hear. Reminds me of my hometown.”

“What was it like?”

“Very nice and very friendly. It was quiet little town. I enjoyed living there. Still miss my neighbors…and my parents,” she said, fighting back the tears some.

“I’m sure you do,” Stu said as he moved over to Cecilia, comforting her.

“Thanks.” She sighed. “I still visit there every now and then, whenever I get the chance. My parents would have loved to have met you. Which reminds me, when do you want to go and introduce me to your parents.”

“Whenever you want to drive up there,” Stu said.

“How far is it from here?”

“They’re in the Belilakov Province in a little town called Fredrikson. It’s at least four hours from here.”

“Hm…Well, we could probably try going up there either tomorrow or the day after tomorrow, whichever you prefer.”

Stu thought for a moment. “Okay, that’ll work. Either day is good for me.”

“Well, the day after tomorrow sounds good. Besides, tomorrow will give me a chance to meet some of your other neighbors.”

“Okay, great.”

“Your parents probably can’t wait to meet me. They’re probably thrilled at you getting married.”

“That they are,” Stu said, smiling.

“So, what is your hometown like?”

“About like this.”

She nodded. “What do you and your neighbors do when you get the chance to spend time with them?”

“Swim and have a cookout.”

“Feel like having a cookout anytime soon,” Cecilia said.

“Probably this Saturday. We usually have one every once in a while on Saturday.”

“Cool. I look forward to hanging out with all of your friends nad neighbors. I can even help set things up.”

“Great, we’ll do it Saturday then.”

She smiled. “I can’t wait.”

Stu continued to swim around, and eventually climbed out and sat on the edge.

Cecilia swam some more before getting out and lounging a bit on the edge. “So, have you told anyone else about our engagement?”

“Some coworkers.”

“What did they say?”

“They were happy for me,” Stu said, smiling.

She smiled as well. “I was thinking about some names for our pups or kits. Maybe for a boy, we name him after you and for a girl, we pick a French name.”

Stu looked a bit surprised. “Let’s get married first before we talk about kids.”

Laughing a bit, she said, “You seem surprised.”

“Well, I was expecting we’d be married at least a year before we had kids. I do know we’re going to have some, though.”

“That is true. But then again, maybe I’m already pregnant.”

“Are you?”

Laughing, she said, “No silly. I’m sorry Stu. I was teasing you there. But the look on your face…” She laughed some more before trying to tickle him.

Stu laughed and grabbed Cecilia and pulled her into the pool.

“EEEK!” She laughed as she fell into the pool.

Stu laughed and kissed her.

She kissed back. A few neighbors saw them. “Hm…Seems we are going to be the talk of the town.”

“It appears so.”

“Well, I guess it is time to go inside and fix some supper. Need any help?”

“You can start boiling some water,” Stu said.

“Sure thing. But let’s get out of these wet swimsuits.”
(Timeskip)
After getting out of the wet swimsuits and into some dry clothes, Cecilia went and started boiling some water. “So, what is for supper anyways?”

“I was just going to cook some burgers and some macaroni and cheese,” Stu said.

“Cool. I have been eating sandwiches and ramin noodles for several days now, what with my meetings and long days at the office. I do eat Chinese food too.”

“Good, because there’s a great place down the street.”

She grinned. “Sweet! Oh by the way, do you do yoga?”

Stu shook his head as he took the burgers out of the refrigerator.

“I’ve been trying to get my brother to take up yoga. It really helps relieve stress. You should try it too. Of course, my brother thinks it hurts too much to be relaxing.”

“Maybe one day,” Stu said.

She smiled. “So, where is the macaroni and cheese? The water is ready.”

“In the pantry,” Stu said pointing to a door near the fridge. He walked outside to the grill and started cooking the burgers.

Humming to herself she got the macaroni and cheese and started preparing it.

Stu walked inside and grabbed a couple of pieces of cheese. “Do you want cheese on yours?”

“No thanks, but thanks anyhow.”

Stu placed a piece back into the drawer in the fridge and walked back out to the grill and finished the burgers. He walked inside with the burgers on a plate.

Cecilia was finishing up the macaroni and cheese when Stu came back in. “So, what else have you told your parents about me?”

“Your job, where you live, that kind of stuff,” Stu said as he set the plate down on the counter.

She nodded. “Anything else?”

“That’s about it.”

“Okay. Alright the macaroni and cheese is done.” She finished preparing it. “Where are the paper plates, or do you want glass? I don’t mind helping you wash dishes.”

“The plates are up in that cabinent,” Stu said pointing at it. “What do you want to drink?”

"What do you have?’

“Tea and water.”

“Tea please.”
She had gotten the plates and brought them over to him.

Stu pulled out a gallon jug filled with tea and filled two glasses with ice poured the tea into the glasses. He put the jug back in the fridge and set the glasses down on the table. Stu fixed the burgers and set them on the plates. He carried them over to the table and set the plates down.

Cecilia, humming to herself, put the macaroni and cheese on the plates as well. “So, how have you been with things at work?”

“Pretty good. It’s been pretty quiet aside from the occasional report from Rygard. How about you?”

“About the same. Although we have to worry about what’s going on between Listonia and Vekaiyu. Personally, I never did like Stapen Evesuni. We found some old evidence that DIEIS had where he was photographed talking with Listonian and Vekaiyun crime bosses. So, we think Evesuni may have been a part of these syndicates or was in fact the leader of one of them.”

“What’s been going on in Listonia anyway? I haven’t gotten many reports on it.”

“Rioting, nationwide panic, mass military desertions or defections to Vekaiyu. Widespread starvation. Earlier reports came in that Listonia launched several missiles at Vekaiyu, but Vekaiyu’s new missile defense systems took care of them. Most of them at least. Now, Lazlowia is demanding that the international community steps in and take care of the situation.”

Stu nodded. “I did hear we sent in one of our fleets.”

“Lazlowia wants all nations, including those that had once dominated Listonia before the nation’s independance, to come to the table to discuss the best solution of resolving the crisis. And they want a solution that does not involve Vekaiyu getting its hands on Listonia.”
“Yeah, we sent the Southern Fleet as well. Of course, Lazlowia sent a few of its ships as well. To be honest, I’m starting to wonder if the Gulf of Itur alliance treaty was a good idea. I mean both Vekaiyu and Listonia are just plain paranoid.”
She took a bite of her hamburger.

“Hopefully we won’t start shooting at each other,” Stu said after taking a bite of his food.

“I hope so too. So…um…have you given any thought on our wedding? I mean, I already have the dress picked out and all.”

Stu nodded. “I have. I’ve chosen my best man and a few of the groomsmen.”

“Oh?”

“My brother is going to be my best man, and I chose a few of my coworkers as groomsmen.”

She smiled. “My sisters are going to be my bridesmaids. I just have to get in touch with Anna. She’s busy helping a scientist with some research.”

“Where at?”

“Vekaiyu. It’s supposed to be build trust between our two nations. Frankly, I think she is doing it for another reason.” She ate some of her food.

“What would the other reason be,” Stu asked as he took a drink.

“She likes women. And apparently, she has taken a fancy for the head scientist, a Dr. Visela.”

“When was the last time you heard from her?”

“Sometime last month.” Cecilia sighed. “I know she likes this scientist, but I don’t think Visela is right for my scientist. I mean, Dr. Visela is working on technology that will give a person the ability to breath underwater indefinitely. Basically you’ll be able to live underwater. Of course, you have to wear the equipment all of the time.”

“Don’t know why you would want to live underwater.”

“My point exactly, but Dr. Visela believes that it will help overpopulation and lead to new technologies and discoveries. But, frankly, I’m worried that Visela will hurt my sister.” Cecilia muttered something in French.
“How do you think she would hurt your sister?”

“Break her heart in some way, probably if she is just using her.”

Stu nodded. “Have you talked to Anna about it?”

“I’ve tried, but she’s stubborn as a yak!”

“Maybe she’ll listen eventually.”

“Hopefully. But, what should I wear when I visit your parents?”

“Nothing too fancy. A shirt and jeans would be fine.”

“Okay. Would sandals be alright?”

“They should be fine.”

She grinned. “Have your parents asked anything about our relationship, or are they being polite and waiting till they meet me?”

Stu kept eating. “They’ve asked a little bit. Where we met, that kind of thing.”

“What did you say?”

“I told them we met when you and Sam came to visit.”

“Ah okay.” She ate some of her food. “Any word from your brother?”

“A few weeks ago. He’s still in Dorden.”

“Okay.” She had finished her meal. “Do you mind if I help clean up?”

“Not at all,” Stu said as he took Cecilia and his plate over to the sink.
“Can you put the macaroni in a container and put it in the fridge?”

She grinned, wagging her tail while she did just that. Humming to herself, she put the macaroni in a container before putting it in the fridge. “So, is there supposed to be a polticial debate between Zak and his rivals tonight?”

“Not yet, the parties haven’t chosen their candidates.”

“Okay. So, what is good on tv tonight then?”

“We’ll just have to look and see.”
“There’s probably a few sitcoms or gameshows on. We could even watch the news if you wanted.”

“Any of those would be fine. I’ll let you chose what to watch,” she replied.

Stu walked into the living room with Cecilia and sat on the couch.

“So, how many channels do you get?”

“About 300 with the satellite TV package I get.”

Cecilia was packing the car. “I enjoyed that cookout, Stu. You have a lot of nice neighbors.”
It was early in the morning.

Stu nodded as he brought out another bag. “Yeah, they are.” He looked up at the smoke covering the sky. “I hope we’ll be able to get up to Fredrikson. I don’t know whether or not the fire’s close to the highway.”

“Oh. By the Stu, I was thinking about our wedding. My grandmother is helping out. Isn’t that great?”

Stu smiled. “Yes, that is great.” He closed the trunk and walked back up to the house. “Got everything?”

“Sure. My grandmother asked that we find out what your family coat of arms is. Oh and after the wedding we will be ridding in the 1904 Royal Landau.”

Stu thought for a moment. “That’s a good question. We’ll have to go through my family stuff up at my parent’s house, if they even have it.”

She smiled. “That’s good. Also the caek will be an eight-tiered traditional fruit caek decorated with cream and white icing and 900 sugar paste flowers! Oh!” She hugged Stu. “This feels like a fairy tale wedding!”

Stu smiled and kissed her forehead. “Well, I’ll be happy with whatever you’ve got planned as long as you’re with me.”

“Thank you! Also…Hm…” She smiled. “Marquess Stewart Riskotov has a nice ring doesn’t it?”

Stu smiled and put his arm around her. “It sure does.”

“Your government won’t mind you getting a title of nobility will they?” She wondered about this.

“According to the Constitution, they won’t be happy about it, because it voids Laiatanese citizenship unless I have strict Narodnoe approval. Which, hopefully they will.” Stu answered, taking a moment to think about it.

“Hm…Well, if they don’t, that really isn’t a problem. You can always be my commandant. Oops! We better get going now.” Cecilia looked at her watch. “So, how far is it from here to your parents’ house?”

“A few hours. We should get there about 8 or 9, depending on traffic.”

“Okay. So, what do you have anything that you want done at our wedding? I mean, I don’t want to leave you out of the planning,” she said as she got into Stu’s car.

Stu climbed in and backed the car out of the driveway, and began heading towards the highway. “Just make sure the band’s good and we invite all of my family and friends,” Stu said with a chuckle.

“Sure thing. What kind of band would you like? Any suggestions?”

“A regular ol’ wedding band should be fine.”
Stu merged onto the highway, and the couple began their trip towards Fredrikson.

As they traveled down the highway, Cecilia said as she was looking out the window, “My brother is trying to keep the paparazzi from ruining anything. I wonder if Zak is doing the same thing.”

“What do you mean? The marriage?”

“Before, during, and after,” she said. “Can you imagine the paparazzi stalking you to your office everyday?”

“I guess I’m lucky, they can’t because it’s in a high security military facility,” Stu said chuckling.

“Well, they could stake out your home,” she countered.

“That’s true, but they don’t really do much. Every once in a while, I’ll get a reporter or two. Never entire masses. Maybe it’s something programmed into Lobos to leave each other’s private matters where they belong, in private.”

“Ah good! We don’t have any problem with the paparazzi in Vulshain either, though. So, who should we invite to the wedding besides our families and friends? Should we invite a few foreign diginitaries?”

Stu shrugged. “If you’d like. Zak can probably come.”

She nodded. “So, is there anything I shouldn’t do or say when I meet your parents? I don’t want to cause a scene or embarrass you.”

Stu shook his head. “No, they’re pretty cool with most things. Just don’t mention Communists, socialists, or anything along the lines of that. Everything else should be fine.”

“My dad’s a Centrist, but the Centrist Party is relatively right leaning. So most of us don’t like Communists or socialists, let alone the ideologies,” Stu explained.

“Okay. I could understand that. How about your mom?”

“She’s about the same.”

Cecilia nodded. “So, anything else?”

“Keep private matters private,” Stu said with a sly grin.

“Oh!” Cecilia grinned too. “Your mother trying to get all the juicy info?”

“No, just trying to prevent it if she does,” Stu said, still smiling. They passed a few cars.

Cecilia nodded. “Oh no!”

“What? What is it?”

“I…I should have cooked something to take to them. I mean should I have? I mean I don’t want to be rude! These are your parents now! I…Oh Den Mother!”

“Oh, don’t worry about it,” Stu said with a smile. “They won’t mind.”

She breathed a sigh of relief. “Okay. That’s a load off me.” She looked out at the passing cars. “I’ve been listening to the news lately about Listonia. We think the Stapen Evesuni killed was a fake and the real one is still alive. We’re insisting that tests be done on the remains.”

“Are the Listonians cooperating?”

“Uh…Kind of. Not sure. We’re still waiting for Vekaiyu to respond. We are planning to invite a delegation from Elephana, a small land-locked nation near Listonia. Anyhow, do your parents want to help with the wedding plans?”

“Probably, like any other parents,” Stu said, smiling.
Traffic began backing up on the highway. “What is going on up here?” Smoke had begun thickening miles back, but it was now at its thickest. Flashing lights from police cars could be seen ahead.

“Oh good grief. Is it that bad?”

“I don’t know yet.” They waited in line for about twenty minutes, until finally they pulled up next to the police cars. A police officer wearing a respirator and goggles approached Stu’s car. Stu slightly rolled the window down a bit to prevent as much smoke from entering as possible. Through the mask, the police officer began speaking.
“Where y’all headed?”
“Fredrikson.”

Cecilia fished out her ID and handed it to Stu.

“Belilakov,” the officer inquired. Stu placed his hand on Cecilia’s, signaling that she should hold on to it for a minute. “Yes, sir,” Stu replied while nodding his head.
“Y’all are going to need to take a detour, this section of highway’s blocked off for the firefighting. We pulled out the median a little further ahead, so you can turn around,” the officer said, motioning ahead of them. “Is the fire that bad,” Stu asked. The officer nodded. “Yes and no. We’ve gotten it under control for the most part, but it’s still burning pretty hard.” Stu nodded. “Okay, thank you officer.” The officer nodded and motioned the rest of the vehicles to continue through. Stu turned through the detour and back the way they came.
“Guess we’ll have to take the long way,” Stu said, a bit frustrated.

“How long should that take?”

“A few more hours. We’ve got to cross through one or two more provinces.”

“Okay.”

OOC: This is a collab post between me and SY.

Stu pulled the car off onto the off ramp to the rest stop about an hour from Fredrikson. Stu parked the car and climbed out. He stretched his arms and legs.

Cecilia had almost nodded off to sleep, when the car stopped. “Are we there?”

Stu smiled and leaned into the car through the window. “No, we’re about an hour out. I just needed to stretch a bit.” A semi-truck drove passed on the highway.

“Okay…I might as stretch as well.” She began to get out of the car, her legs wobbling. “Uh…Legs fallen asleep,” she muttered as she tried to steady herself.

Stu chuckled a bit and walked over to her. He leaned against the car.

She stretched a bit. She rubbed the back of her neck. “So, any word from your brother?”

Stu nodded. “Yes, actually. He’s going on leave about a week before the wedding so he can meet you and make the wedding.”

“That’s good. Which reminds me, we need to set a date for the wedding. Late June or early July sound okay with you?”

Stu thought for a minute. “Late June sounds good.”

She nodded. “I’m actually worried about what’s going on in both Rygard and Listonia. The Rygardi protestors are getting well, ugly. They want annexation, and we don’t want annexation. We are working on a compromise that will hopefully satisfy everyone.”

Stu shrugged. “That’s up for you to decide. It won’t look good if you annex a country you go to war with after disposing the government.”

“What we’ll probably do is establish a Commonwealth. Rygard was once a Vulshainian colony. It would satisfy the Rygardi, as they will be technically citizens of the Crown, but at the same time, Rygard keeps its independence and functions like a separate country, which is what we want. We’re still working out the kinks though.”

“That would make sense. I’m still not sure how good that would look internationally.”

“Well, it is a compromise and we would allow the Rygardi to elect their own leaders and such. This is a very serious situation here. The Rygardi want annexation, believing that their leaders in the past forced them to be granted independence when they were still Vulshainian colonists.”

“That’s true,” Stu said. “Anyway, are you hungry?”

Before Cecilia could answer, her stomach growled. Laughing a bit, she replied, “That’s one way to answer.”

Stu laughed. “Okay, let’s go see what we can get out of the vending machines,” Stu took Cecilia’s hand and walked over to the machines.

Cecilia blushed a bit as Stu took her hand.

Stu smiled and looked through the vending machine. “See anything you like?”

“Um…Let’s see?”

Cecilia got a bag of Doritos and a three musketeers candy bar, and a Diet Coek.

Stu got a bag of Fritos and a Dr. Pepper. He walked back to the car with Cecilia.

Cecilia sat on the hood of the car.

Stu sat next to her and started eating.

Cecilia started eating as well. “So, do you have any relatives you want me invite besides your parents?”

“You can meet them at the wedding. Most of my family is kind of scattered around the country.”

“Okay. So, what have they’ve said about you marrying me?”

“They’re happy for us,” Stu said with a smile.

She smiled as well as she brushed a lock of hair from her eyes.

Stu kept eating and finished off the bag. He opened the can of soda and put his arm around Cecilia.

Cecilia blushed a bit. “Were any of them surprised you were marrying a vulpine, much less the Premier of Vulshain?”

Stu nodded. “Quite a few, actually.”

“What did they say? Did they ask if you were making the right choice?”

“Not really. They were happy for me.”
“Or us, I should say.”

Cecilia smiled and nodded. She finished her chips and candy bar. She then asked, “So, did you want me to invite your ex’s?” She grinned.

Stu shook his head, smiling. “No, that’s okay.”

She nodded. “Ready to hit the road again? Also, I’m surprised Zak hasn’t asked Sam to send in some Golems to help against the fires.”

Stu shrugged. “Don’t know. He probably is seeing it as a strictly internal issue. Or he doesn’t want to seem like Laiatan can’t handle it’s own wildfires,” Stu continued as he climbed into the car.

She climbed into the car as well. “I understand, still, I hope that the Listonian crisis gets resolved before all hell breaks loose. The last thing we need is to be dragged into a pointless war, especially with the Lazlowians.”
She buckled up. “And to think we tried to open relations with them when my brother was just starting out as king.”

“We’ve never trusted them,” Stu said as he buckled up and got back onto the highway.

“Well, wait, was that because they’re communists or was it something else?”

“Pretty much.”

“So, you pretty much don’t trust anyone who is socialist and communist?”

“Pretty much. Seems like the hatred for it continues no matter what generation it is. We’ve never trusted communists since they attempted a coup.”

“Hm…Okay. As for socialists?”

“Pretty much the same thing. They got thrown in with the communists after the failed coup.”

“Hm…I see. So what happened during this failed coup?”

“A few divisions of the Ground Forces decided communism would be better for Laiatan, and they launched a direct attack against Volkgoroda. The coup was crushed thanks to the Loyalists. We arrested the leaders and they were executed for high treason. This happened back in the '50s.”

She nodded. “I’m guessing you don’t like socialism because Vekaiyu believes in socialism and you two don’t get along?”

Stu shook his head. “No, like I said, it got thrown in with communism after the coup, and it’s been hated ever since.”

“Ah. But Laiatan doesn’t like Vekaiyu still.”

“We don’t hate them, but we’re not drinking buddies.”

She laughed a bit. “Well, I wonder if they got the fires under control. I hope your parents don’t have to evacuate.”

“They won’t since it’s localized in Volkgoroda. There’s several hundred miles between Volkapita and Belilakov,” Stu said with a smile.

She nodded. “I bet your parents are looking forward to meeting me at last.”

Stu chuckled a bit. “My mom especially. She can’t wait.”

“What more can you tell me about her?”

She looked out the window.

“Eh, there’s not much more to tell than what I already told you. She was a teacher, raised two kids, a Centrist, Laiatan Protestant, and she’s been married for almost forty years to my dad.”

Cecilia nodded. She continued to look out the window.

Stu stopped the car outside of a worn brick house. Rain slowly began falling as Stu exited the car and opened the door for Cecilia. “This is it.”

Cecilia looked at it. It reminded of her home. “Looks nice. We should get our stuff out now.” Cecilia went and began to unload the car. She then tried to carry both her’s and Stu’s luggage.

Stu laughed. “Let me take my stuff.” He took his luggage and a bit of Cecilia’s. Stu motioned his head towards the house. “Let’s go.”

“I can handle it, dear.” She didn’t mind Stu helping her, but she wanted to help out as well though. She followed him to the door.

Stu rang the doorbell. About a minute later, a 5 foot 5 inch tall, greyed, old Lobo woman opened the door. She had green eyes with glasses resting on her nose. Her hair had greyed completely, but she appeared in perfect health. She looked over the couple standing in her doorway, and a warm smile erupted from her face when she saw Stu’s. “Oh, Stu. How’s my boy,” she asked as she hugged him. Stu returned her hug and kissed her head. “Good, momma.” The hug was completed, and she backed away from Stu. She looked over to Cecilia. “And you must be Cecilia,” she said, her warm smile continuing. “Nice to meet you, I’m Natalia.”

“Nice to meet you Natalia Riskotov. I’m Cecilia Rainard. It’s a pleasure to meet you.” Cecilia smiled and wagged her tail a bit.

Natalia hugged Cecilia then backed into the house. “Come in you two, get out of the rain.”

Cecilia hugged Natalia back. “Thank you!” She quickly got inside the house.

Stu brought in the luggage and left it near the door. Cecilia and Stu followed Natalia into the living room. “Frederik? Stewart and Cecilia are here.” Frederik looked a bit older than Natalia, and was greyed completely. His green eyes rested behind glasses, which moved over to Natalia’s voice and eventually Cecilia and Stu. He was sitting in a recliner, a baseball game on the television. He smiled when he saw Cecilia and Stu come around the corner. “There’s my boy,” he said as he climbed out of the chair and approached them. He appeared in perfect health as well, disciplined by his former military service. He hugged Stu and shook his hand. He turned to Cecilia and extended his hand. “Nice to meet you Cecilia. I’m Frederik.”

Cecilia smiled, although a bit nervous as she shook his hand. “The pleasure is all mine, Mr. Riskotov. I am Cecilia Rainard. I hope we didn’t interrupt your watching your game.”

“Please, Mr. Riskotov was my father’s name. Call me Frederik. And don’t worry about the game, it’s good to finally meet my son’s future wife.”

Cecilia had to laugh a bit. “Nice to meet you as well, Frederik.”

“So, who is playing?”

“Okezuka and Emirgorod,” Frederik responded.

“Okay.” She wondered what the teams’ names were though. “So, um…where do you want us to put our stuff…I mean our luggage?” She was a bit nervous.

Frederik smiled. “You can put it in Stu’s old room,” Frederik walked over to the luggage and helped Stu carry the luggage into his old room. Inside was a full-sized bed, a desk, a dresser, television and a Laiatanese flag hanging on the wall.

“Cozy,” she said.

Stu smiled. “You two make yourself at home,” Frederik said, walking out and shutting the door.

“Okay. So, should we unpack?”

“Sure,” Stu said unloading some of his bags.

Cecilia began unpacking as well.

After about twenty minutes, they had finished and walked back into the living room. Stu sat down on the couch, next to his father.

Cecilia, now barefoot, looked for a place to sit.

“You can sit over here Cecilia,” Stu said, pointing out the empty spot on the couch.

Cecilia sat down on that spot. “So, how is the game going?” She wanted to find something to talk about, and apparently Stu’s father was a big baseball fan it would seemed.

“Great. The Hurricanes are up,” Frederik said with a smile.

“You must love baseball, Frederik.”

“It’s not my life, but I do enjoy it,” he said, taking a drink from his glass.

“So Cecilia, how’s life in Vulshain,” Natalia asked as she came over with a tray with a tray of three glasses of iced tea.

“It is good. A bit stressful at times due to politics and all, but that’s to be expected. How are things here?”

“Pretty nice,” Natalia responded, handing Stu and Cecilia a glass. Thunder rumbled outside as the rain fell harder. “The weather’s pretty nice too,” she said, sitting down on the smaller part of the “L” shaped couch.

“Except for right now, I guess.” She then asked, “So, what do you two for a living?”

“Retirement,” Frederik said with a smile. Natalia looked over at Cecilia. “I’m a substitute teacher, but I’m getting close to retirement myself.”

“Oh what do you teach?”

“I used to teach history, but now I just fill in for teachers and give the students their assignments.”

“That sounds nice. So, you must be enjoying retirement, Frederik.”

“It is nice,” Frederik replied. “It’s pretty nice to have a whole day to do whatever you’d like.”

“Yes it must be.” Cecilia sat there for a bit, trying to think of something to say.

“So, where do you plan on having the wedding,” Natalia asked.

“Kieounava, my hometown in Vulshain,” she answered, smiling.

Natalia nodded in approval. “What about the honeymoon?”

“Hm…Um…Well…”

“No idea yet, hm?”

“Pretty much. I might let Stu decide.”

“You’ll figure out something,” Natalia said with a smile.

Cecilia nodded.

“Tell us about yourself, Cecilia,” Frederik said, turning off the won baseball game.

Cecilia smiled. “Well, I’m a veteran of the Vulshainian Civil War. I’m a talented ballet dancer, swimmer, jouster, gymnast, athlete, surfer, rollerblader, snowboarder, artist, and martial artist. Although your son, has beaten me a couple more times than I’ve beaten him. And I’m the Premier of Vulshain, as well as the Marchioness of Velra.”

Frederik chuckled a bit upon hearing of Stu’s victories against Cecilia. “So what’s life like as Premier?”

“It has it’s ups and downs, to be honest. It can be bit frustrating, but helping my nation feels good. Although there are times I feel like strangling a few bureaucrats to death.” She chuckled. “Especially the communist ones.”

“Well, we all would like to strangle a few communists,” Frederik responded with a slight smile. He looked over at Stu. “Stu’s grandfather strangled a few in Volkgoroda in '56.”

“I see. A few of the socialists are okay, but most of them go on and on and on. Makes you feel wonder when they will shut up.”

“But there are benefits to being the premier.” She smiled at Stu. “I got to meet Stu.”

“And I’ve been happy ever since.”

Stu smiled and placed his hand on her knee. Natalia and Frederik smiled as well. “So, do you plan on moving here or back to Vulshain,” Natalia asked.

“Well, I still have a job to do back home, but Stu and I will think of something. We’ll work something out between our governments.”

She placed her hand on Stu’s.

Stu smiled. “Hopefully we can come to an agreement so that everything works out.”

She nodded. “So, Frederik you were in the Army?”

“Air Force. I flew fighters.”

“Ah. Same here. I was in the Air Force too. What did you fly?”

“I flew I-23s, I-21s, I-25s, and the I-29 before I retired.”

“How about yourself,” Frederik asked.

“I flew the Dassault Rafale, Mikoyan MiG-29 Fulcrums and Sukhoi Su-27 Flankers, as well as Mikoyan MiG-31 Foxhounds. I also flew the Mirage 2000. It got scary once. I was in a Rafale about to takeoff, and a transport plane that had been attacked was trying to make an emergency landing. Of course, it crashed, but it flew right over me. A couple of inches lower it would have taken my canopy off!”

“Wow. Ever been shot down?”

“Yes, a few times. Once I was shot down and taken captive. I was exposed to harmful chemicals, such as mustard gas as the insurgents forced POWs to create improvised chemical weapons for them to use. During Operation Checkmate, other POWs and I were liberated by my brother and his 14th Platoon.”

“Afterwards, I returned to active duty, but I needed to wear a specially made fighter pilot helmet designed with visors that were prescription-made so pilots suffering eye problems could continue to fly.”

“Interesting,” Frederik said. The rain continued pouring outside, and thunder shook the house every once in a while. Stu’s stomach growled quite loudly. Natalia chuckled a bit. “Sounds like you’re hungry. What about you Cecilia?”

“Sure. Do you mind if I help you cooking?”

“Oh please, you and Stu relax. Frederik will help me.” Frederik got up and walked over to the kitchen and began helping prepare dinner. While at the counter, Frederik spoke to Stu. “Why don’t you turn on the news, see if there’s anything on.” Stu nodded and turned on the TV. He flipped through the channels until he found HNH.

“HNH?”

“Reliable News Network in Lobonese. The HNH is from the Cyrillic alphabet Lobonese uses,” Frederik said, interrupting Stu. “Anything good on?” Stu leaned back and looked at the screen. “Just a bit on the fire, they’ve got it under control.” Frederik nodded in response. (It’s pretty much showing everything from the news articles)

“Oh that’s right. I’m a bit tired, so my brain blanked out there.”

“Ah the Ibian Separatists are at it again. Wonderful. Just peachy wonderful,” Cecilia said. “Ah they’re announcing the liaison to Vulshain. Wait what!?”

Stu turned up the TV, and the female Lobonese reporter continued reading off of her script. “General Stagleishov is the commander of the Fifth Air Force, which is tasked with the defense of the airspace over the Eastern Military District. After days of debate, 365 votes went towards him for his service and commanding position, gaining a new position for the General on top of his current one, liaison to Vulshain.”

Cecilia’s right eye twitched.

“Cecilia?”

“Stu, just be glad that this is your parents’ TV, or else it would be out the window right now.” Her voice was very angry and tense.

Frederik heard Cecilia. “Cecilia, you’ll be going out after the TV if you do that.” Natalia smacked Frederik on the back of the head. “What’s wrong Cecilia?”

“Let’s just say, that I’m annoyed that Stu wasn’t picked to be the liasion,” she said.

“Why? If he got it, he’d only be going to Vulshain about once a month.” The two continued fixing dinner as Natalia continued.

“Actually, he would be…wait what?” Cecilia was puzzled.

She turned back to the TV. “Oh no. That’s not going to make a lot of people happy.”

Stu turned back to the TV and quickly whispered something to Cecilia. “Turns out I wouldn’t have to give up my position if I had gotten it, Zak got it confused with a different thing.” He looked at the TV.

She nodded and whispered back, “I see. Well, I actually didn’t want you to give up your position to be honest.” She turned back to the TV. “The Royal Congress of Vulshain was going to pass a resolution that the Laiatanese liaison would stay in Vulshain and go back to Laiatan on the last day of each month. The Green Party was the ones who thought that up.”

“You’d have to take that up with my government, because we’ve got it set that the liaison goes for one week every month or so. Besides, I don’t think foreign resolutions would have much standing here in Laiatan.”

“That’s true. But that’s the Green Party for you. So, what do y’all think of the Green Party,” Cecilia asked Stu’s parents.

“Do we even have a Green Party,” Natalia asked, looking over to Frederik. “Nothing but a bunch of long-haired hippies,” Frederik replied to Cecilia.

Cecilia nodded, and then whispered to Stu, “You didn’t tell me that they didn’t like the Green Party.”

“I kind of figured you’d know, on account of the very low membership.”

“Oh. Wait, they have that low of a membership,” Cecilia whispered, “Vulshain’s Green Party’s candidate for the Speaker of Parliament got the fourth highest number of votes, just barely squeaking by the Socialists’ candidate.” Turning back to Frederik and Natalia she said, “So, what are you cooking?”

“It’s finished, if you’d like to come find out,” Frederik said with a smile.

Cecilia was getting up when the Lobo reporter came up with another news bulletin.

“Currently, there is great concern among many Laiatanese families after several members of the environmentalist group Green Paw visited a number of schools and universities in the capital, giving speeches and talking to students about the importance of environmental awareness. Several students were seen signing up with the group.”

Cecilia smiled a bit, thinking, “About time they came over here. I wonder if it will take root.”

Natalia and Frederik finished setting the table and took their seats, waiting for Stu and Cecilia. Stu pulled out Cecilia’s chair, and sat after she was seated.

Cecilia sat down, thanking Stu. “Smells good.” She then said something in French.

“What was that you said,” Frederik asked, beginning to fill his plate with the various dishes on the table.

“I said, I look forward to eating everything on my plate,” Cecilia said. This was one thing she would have to work with Stu on. She knew that Stu spoke a good bit of Unonian. But she didn’t know what other languages he spoke besides English, Lobonese, and Unonian.

Frederik nodded and passed steaks over to Natalia, who continued the plate to Stu, then Cecilia. “Well, I hope you enjoy it,” Frederik said with a smile.

“Merci,” she said, smiling.
“That means thank you in French. We Vulshainians are skilled linguists. I speak several languages.”

“Ah, interesting.” Frederik took Natalia and Stu’s hands, while Natalia and Stu took Cecilia’s. “It’s my understanding you’re Laiatan Protestant, correct?”

Cecilia nodded. “Oui, monsieur, I mean yes, sir.”
“My dad was a Vayan Catholic and my mom was a Celiam Methodist. I kind of swung back and forth between the two. A friend of mine took me to a Laiatan Protestant service when I was a sophomore in high school. And well, I’m now a Laiatan Protestant.”

Frederik nodded and smiled. He cleared his throat, and began a prayer. When he finished, “Amen” echoed around the table. “Well then, let’s eat.”

Cecilia smiled. “So, does anyone else here speak any other languages, or am I the only linguist here,” she said with a chuckle.

“I can speak Lobonese and English fluently,” Frederik said. “I know a bit of English, but not much. You really don’t need to know more than one around here,” Natalia said, placing her napkin in her lap.

“I speak not only Lobonese, English, and Unonian, but I also speak French, Russian, Chinese, Spanish, and Swahili,” Cecilia said, smiling before taking a bite of her biscuit.

“Interesting. Why so many,” Frederik asked.

“Vulshainians pride themselves on learning about other cultures. Besides, since I’m the Royal Confederate Premier, I have to know a good bit of languages when meeting leaders from other cultures. Which reminds me, I need to teach Stu how to speak French. Have any you been to Paris or Beijing?”

“Never,” Natalia said. “I don’t need to know French,” Stu responded, eating a bit.

“Oh come on,” Cecilia said, teasing Stu. “What’s the harm in learning it?”

“There isn’t any, but I don’t have the time to learn French.”

Cecilia pouted a bit, but seeing that Stu had won the argument she gave up. “Fine.” She ate some of her food. “I plan to make my hometown’s famous rose petal cherry pie for the reception.”

“Sounds delicious,” Frederik said.

“It’s cherry pie, with candied rose petals put on top of it. I should make Stu some vanilla and violet ice cream with candied rose petals soon,” she smiled drinking some of her drink.

“You need to make some for all of us,” Frederik said with a smile.

Cecilia grinned. “I will! You can count on it!” She wagged her tail a bit. She whispered to Stu about his family’s coat of arms.

“Hey, do you guys know what our coat of arms is,” Stu asked, taking a drink. Natalia shook her head. “Stu, you know the government voided everything dealing with nobility and their land holdings before the revolution. We do know what it is, but it’s not recognized by the government as having legal standing,” Frederik answered.

“We just need it for our wedding that’s all,” Cecilia said. “It’s tradition in Vulshain to show the coat of arms of both bride and groom. It will also be displayed on the wedding invitations.”

Frederik nodded. “I understand, but it isn’t ‘technically’ our coat of arms anymore. At least in Laiatan.”

“Oh?”

“No families have had a coat of arms in Laiatan since before the revolution led by Zukov. Nobility held by Laiatanese citizens isn’t recognized in Laiatan either, unless the Narodnoe says it’s okay.”

“Well, you do know what it is right?” Cecilia understood that there was no nobility, but still, it was a surprise that people couldn’t find out about their family coat of arms. Seemed that Zukov was a bit like Mao, he had destroyed the symbols of countless families.

Stu smiled a bit. “Dad, I think the coat of arms is still legal, it’s just the land holdings and nobility titles that are void now. I looked over the laws beforehand.” Natalia nodded. “Stu’s right.” She turned and patted Cecilia’s hand. “We’ll look for a copy of it.”

Cecilia smiled. “Thank you. And um…” She whispered to Natalia, “I need your opinions on my bridesmaids’ dresses. I um…just don’t tell Stu okay, please?”

“Of course, dear,” Natalia whispered back with a smile.

Cecilia smiled. “Now, I know that Laiatan and Vekaiyu aren’t the best of friends, but I’m inviting my Vekaiyun relatives to the wedding.” She looked at Frederik. “Not sure who my brother will take as a date to the wedding,” she said, sighing.

“Okay. I give the citizens of a disliked country a chance, because I know the government doesn’t define the people.”

She smiled. “So, I need another flower girl. I have two cousins who can do it, but I need a third one. Any suggestions?”

“We’ve got a few nieces we could call,” Natalia said.

Cecilia grinned. “That’s great.”
“I was thinking of having red, white, blue, red, and pink roses at the wedding,” Cecilia smiling.

“That sounds great,” Natalia said, almost finishing her plate.

Cecilia was just about done herself. Cecilia then asked, “So, what was your reaction when Stu joined the Republican Guard?”

“We were happy for him,” Frederik said with a smile.

“You would have probably been happy for him if he became something else, like said a journalist or an artist.”
“I’ve been giving him art lessons. He’s okay,” Cecilia said looking at him.

Frederik chuckled. “We would have been happy no matter what, but it’s great he decided to serve.”

She nodded. “If he hadn’t, I might not have met him.” She held Stu’s hand.

Stu smiled and squeezed her hand. Frederik smiled and looked around the table, the plates clean. “You two go sit down, we’ll clean up over here,” Natalia said, standing up with Frederik.

Cecilia kissed Stu on the cheek. “I’m going to freshen up a bit. Um…Where’s the bathroom?”

“I’ll show you,” Stu said, standing up with her.

“You can just tell me, love,” she said.
“Or would you prefer to give me the grand tour?”

Stu smiled. “I’ll give you the tour later. I’ll head to our bedroom, the bathroom’s right across the hall.” Stu took Cecilia’s hand and began walking with her as Frederik and Natalia cleaned up.

“I’m guessing that your dad doesn’t like environmentalists,” she whispered as he led her to the bathroom.

“He doesn’t hate them, but he doesn’t believe in what they believe.”

“I guess it would be a bad idea to tell him that I’m a member of Green Paw then,” she whispered.

“You are? Huh, didn’t see that coming. Anyway, I don’t think he’ll hate you or belittle you, he just won’t agree with you on some things.”

“We just try to teach people on why it is important to take care of the environment. We don’t take direct action unless we have no other options left and we got the support of the authorities and government on our side. Then we can get the pitchforks and torches and battering rams out.”

Stu chuckled. “How often do you get government support to halt a company that contributes to the economy?”

“Well, depends on what the company is doing. If it is doing it deliberately and in full disregard of the law and the safety of others, you can expect the government to be behind us all the way. We try to catch the corporations’ attention when they start to pollute. Vulshain is a green nation, so we rarely have to take direct action. Polluting isn’t good for a company’s image, so they try to be responsible.”

Stu nodded. “Here’s the bathroom.”

“Thank you. I’ll be out in a minute. You could sit down and rest a bit.” She went in and closed the door behind her.

Stu walked back to the kitchen. “So, what do you guys think of her?” Natalia smiled. “I like her.” Frederik nodded in agreement.

Meanwhile Cecilia was washing her hands.

“So how are you going to figure out the living arrangements? I don’t know if you’ll be able to live on the base in Vulshain and be the Commandant.”

Cecilia came out. She stopped and listened to the conversation, staying out of sight as she listened.

Stu shrugged. “I don’t know. Laiatan doesn’t give out dual citizenship, at least as far as I know of. I really don’t want to give up my citizenship and military position here, but I have no idea what I’m going to do about it. I love Cecilia, and don’t want to lose her.”

Cecilia knew that Vulshain would be willing to give out dual citizenship and if possible she could work something out with Zak and his administration. She would have to send a lot of time reading over the Laiatanese Constitution. Surely there was a loop hole somewhere. She continued to listen.

Natalia hugged Stu. “You’ll figure it out, I’m sure of it.” Frederik dried his hands, and leaned on the counter. “Enough of that now, you’ll figure it out later. So, are you going to be staying up here for your birthday on the 12th?”

Cecilia grinned. She had done her homework and found out when Stu’s birthday was. She had gotten him the perfect gift.
Southern Yugoslavia says
Stu nodded. “I don’t see why not.”

Cecilia decided she had heard enough. She hugged Stu from behind. “So, what were you talking about, sweetie?”

“Oh, not much. Just how long we’ll be staying up here.” Stu wasn’t sure how much Cecilia had heard.

“We can stay as long as you want. I want to get to know you and your family.”
“And you will stay here for your birthday,” she said.

“Great,” Stu said with a smile.

“So, are there any fashion shows airing on TV?”

“I don’t know, let’s go find out,” Stu said, walking with Cecilia over to the couch.

Cecilia laid down on the couch, resting her head on Stu’s leg.

Stu smiled and began flicking through the channels. “We’re going to go to bed, we’ll see you two tomorrow. Goodnight,” Frederik said with a smile.

“Goodnight.”

“Goodnight,” Stu said with a smile. Natalia and Frederik went to their bedroom, and shut the door behind them.

“So, do they like me,” she asked.

Stu nodded. “They do.”

Cecilia smiled. “See anything on?”

“Eh, not much. A couple of documentaries. Looks about it.”

“Hm…You want to turn in as well?”

“Sure, why not?” Stu turned off the TV and the lamp next to him.

Cecilia went to Stu’s room and began changing into a pair of pink pajamas.

Stu stripped down into his underwear and climbed into bed.

Cecilia had fallen asleep. Although she began to talk a bit in her sleep. “Um…Violet…Colette, you two play nicely with your father now. Colette stop biting your father’s ear.”

Stu listened to her for a few minutes and smiled, having an idea of what she was dreaming of. He drifted off to sleep to her voice.

She rolled over and hugged Stu as she nuzzled his neck.

Stu smiled and hugged Cecilia tight.

Stu awoke the next morning at about nine o’clock to the smell of breakfast coming from the kitchen. He slowly climbed out of bed, trying not to wake Cecilia and made his way to the kitchen after putting on pants. He turned the corner and found his father cooking sausage, eggs, homemade biscuits, and gravy. Frederik looked over at Stu. “Morning.” Stu nodded in response. “Morning.” He poured himself a cup of coffee, and sat at the table, waiting for Cecilia to wake and the food to be finished.

Cecilia was still sleeping, mumbling to herself. “Someone turn off that light. It’s keeping me awake. Oh that’s the baby’s night light,” she said in her dream-induced state as she drifted back to sleep.

Frederik made a plate for Stu and himself, and set it in front of him. Frederik set his plate on the opposite side of the table, and sat down. “So, how’s life in Volkgoroda,” Frederik asked, taking a bite of his eggs.

“Pretty good, can’t complain. But it’s pretty nice getting away from the city. A lot more peaceful,” Stu replied with a smile.

Frederik chuckled. “Or it could be because you’re on leave.”

“Maybe, but it’s still nice to get away.” Stu took a drink of coffee when Natalia came in. “Morning you two. Cecilia still asleep?” Stu nodded with a mouthful of eggs.

The sound of Cecilia mumbling from Stu’s room seemed to answer that question.

Natalia poured a cup of coffee for herself and sat at the table with Stu and Frederik. “So Stu, what do you want to do today?” Stu shrugged and kept eating. “I don’t know yet. Maybe we could go see the dam. Cecilia’s never seen it.” Natalia nodded and got back up to fix herself a plate. “That sounds like a good idea. We haven’t stopped at the dam in years. Only crossed it.”

Cecilia began to stir. She smelt breakfast. She stretched as she got out of bed. Her fur and hair were disheveled. She got to work to make herself look decent enough to step out of the bedroom. “Ugh. Sorry about how I look this morning,” she apologized as she came out of the bedroom. She was still dressed in her pink pajamas.

Stu chuckled. “Don’t worry about it.”

She kissed Stu on the cheek. “Do you have any green tea?”

“Maybe,” Natalia said as she got up and began searching the pantry. She rummaged through for a few minutes, and pulled out a box. “Sorry, we only have black.”

“Black will have to do then,” Cecilia said. "I usually drink green tea, bitter with some jasmine in it. “But black will be fine.”

“So what did you have planned to do today,” she asked Stu.

“We were just going to wing it, but if anything we’ll go up to the dam to sightsee,” Stu replied.

“The dam,” she asked, trying to stay awake.

“Mhmm. One of the largest in the country. Fredrikson Dam, named after this town,” Natalia said, setting a plate of food in front of Cecilia.

“Thank you,” she told Natalia. “I didn’t even realize that there was a dam here.”

“It’s a few miles up north, along the Fredrikson River,” Frederik explained.

“Ah, I see–” she yawned. “Sorry. I had such a lovely dream last night,” she said smiling.

“What about,” Natalia asked, sitting back down.

“Your grandchildren,” she smiled. “Violet and Colette. Although in the dream, Stu and I kept arguing over what to name your grandson. He kept saying, let’s wait.” She looked at Stu.

Natalia smiled. “Not even married and already thinking about kids.”

Cecilia smiled and nodded. “Violet and Colette are sweet names,” she said.

“Yes, they are,” Natalia replied. Stu smiled and took a drink of coffee.

Cecilia ate some of her eggs. “I always wanted to have daughters named Violet and Colette.” She grinned at Stu. “So, what else can you tell me about the dam.”

“It was built back in 1935, and it formed Lake Snegled once it was finished. It was the biggest dam built at the time, and a concrete structure that size had never been built in Laiatan before. It’s a pretty popular tourist attraction, and it still pumps out electricity. Fredrikson was actually meant to house the builders then disappear after the dam was finished, but the city’s still here.”

“Ah. I see. So, how big is Loch Snegled?”

“It extends out about 135 miles from the dam, and it’s the largest reservoir in Laiatan in terms of water capacity. It holds about 30 million acre feet of water,” Frederik continued.*

Cecilia nodded as she finished her breakfast. “Wow. That’s big.”

“It is. And absolutely beautiful,” Natalia said.

She nodded. “I hope to see it today then.” Cecilia drank some of her black tea. She liked the bitter taste. “I’ll go change then.”

“Okay, we’ll go when everyone’s ready,” Frederik said, standing up and taking the plates over to the sink.

Cecilia changed into a pair of blue jeans and a pink and red shirt, as well as a pair of tennis shoes. She made sure to do a much thorough job with her hair and fur. She wanted to be presentable.

Stu, Natalia, Frederik and Cecilia walked outside to the car and got in. The four drove up to the dam, where Frederik parked the car, and the four exited.

Cecilia held Stu’s hand, smiling and wagging her tail.

Stu walked with Cecilia while Frederik and Natalia trailed them to the edge of the massive concrete structure. Water flowed from the dam, powering the hidden turbines deep inside the dam.

Cecilia stared at the massive lake. “Wow,” was all she could say. She was in awe at the lake.

“Beautiful, isn’t it,” Natalia asked as she walked with Frederik next to Stu and Cecilia. The tree-covered mountains surrounded the man-made lake as birds flew overhead. Behind them, cars passed by towards the nature preserve and cities further north, along the border.

Cecilia nodded as she continued to look out at the lake. Vulshain had dams too, but nothing on the scale like this. Most of Vulshain’s dams were much smaller, a result of environmentalist influence no doubt. “I’m surprised your town isn’t visited daily by artists, poets, and writers year round.”

“Oh, it is. There’s a festival every year for that kind of stuff in the Main Plaza,” Frederik said, leaning on the railing.

“What’s the festival called?”

“The Summer Art Festival. There’s one in the winter as well, when all of this is blanketed in snow.”

Cecilia smiled. “When is the Summer Art Festival?”

“I think it starts today, actually.”

Cecilia hugged Stu’s arm. “Can we go see it? Please,” she asked him.

Stu smiled. “Okay, we can.”

She thanked him. “Let me take a picture of this first.” She took a few photos of the lake and dam with a handheld camera. “Okay, I’m ready.”

“We can go camping up in the Preserve sometime too,” Stu said as he walked with Cecilia back to the car.

She grinned. “I would like that very much,” she said as she got in the car.

Stu, Frederik and Natalia got in the car after her, and headed to the Main Plaza in the center of town. They arrived and found a place to park. Music was playing, tents were set up and the residents of Fredrikson roamed the Plaza, seeing what this year’s festival brought.

Cecilia was in awe as she got out of the car. It had been a while since she had attended a festival like this. She couldn’t remember the last time she had been to one. Her duties as Vulshainian Premier often kept her from enjoying herself and just having fun.

“Well, what do you think,” Stu asked as he stood next to her.

“Amazing,” was the first thing that came out of her mouth.

Stu chuckled as Frederik and Natalia came up behind them. “You two have fun, we’ll be going into some of the stores.” They went off in their own direction as Stu stayed with Cecilia. Around them, people walked with hot dogs and other festival snacks. Stores around the Plaza got the most business they had all year, and the town came together as one again.

“Oh there are so many things to do here! I can’t decide!”

“It’s a weeklong festival, so take your time,” Stu said with a smile as he took her hand.

Cecilia blushed as she and Stu walked around. She went over to a few games. It was unfortunate that she won, as Stu was tasked with carrying her prizes, which consisted of a teddy bear, a wolf plushie, and a dragon plushie.

Stu didn’t mind carrying around everything, as he expected and was expected of doing for Cecilia. He enjoyed walking to the stalls and in shops with her, browsing and buying the occasional thing. He sat on a bench with Cecilia, and put his arm around her. “So, what do you think?”

“I love it, especially since I’m here with you.” She had bought a heart shaped ruby pendant, which one would have assumed it was for her, but she wanted to put it around Stu’s neck.

Stu smiled when she put the pendant around his neck. “Thank you,” he said as he kissed her.

She kissed him back. “This reminds me so much of home. I would enjoy the annual Rose Festival, seeing all of the roses, the beautiful dresses, playing the games and puzzles, laughing when Anna would try to see how many hot dogs she could eat before getting sick, which by the way was usually around eight or eleven, scolding Erik to get down from climbing a tree before he hurt himself, and watching the shows. Ah! I always enjoyed watching the fashion shows that they did at the end of the festival. Have you ever been to a fashion show,” she asked.

Stu shook his head. “No, I haven’t. I’m not that into those.”

She looked at him. “Oh? You should go to them. They are quite fun to watch. Or, do you not like them because of something?”

“No, it’s just clothes aren’t really my thing.”

She chuckled a bit. “Oh look! There’s a shop featuring traditional Laiatanese dress! Come on!”

“Oh, alright,” Stu got up and walked to the shop with Cecilia. It was a brick building, like the buildings around it with a single, large window showcasing what was inside.

Cecilia was wagging her tail as she looked at all of the outfits.

Stu browsed around. “See anything you like?”

She nodded as she picked out a pink and red sarafan and kokoshnik. She went to try it on. She came back out wearing it. She spun around a few times. “Looks good, right?”

Stu smiled. “Yes, it does.”

She smiled as she went and changed back into normal clothes. She went and purchased the outfit. She was skipping a bit. “See anything you like?”

“Eh, not really,” Stu said, looking around a bit more.

“Okay. Where would like to go next?”

“Let’s go take a look at the art stalls,” Stu said, walking out with Cecilia.

She nodded, letting him lead the way

Stu walked over with Cecilia to the landscapes, the paintings showing almost every natural wonder of Laiatan from the Soli Basin to the mountains of northern Laiatan.

“Wow. They’re beautiful.”

“They almost look like photographs,” Stu said, looking at each one.

She looked at the price tags of a few. While she could afford a good many of them, it would be difficult for Stu or her to carry them all. She asked, “See any you like?”

Stu looked over them all. “The one of the mountains is pretty cool.”

She picked that one out and paid for it. “It would look good in your office or home.”

Stu carried it over to the car. “Yes, it will,” Stu said with a smile. “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome,” she replied. She put their stuff in the car. Then her stomach began to growl. She blushed out of embarrassment.

“Hehe, hungry,” Stu asked, walking with Cecilia to the food area.

Cecilia looked around at the food area. The smells of various foods drifted through the air. “Wow. There’s a lot of food here. Probably all-natural too,” she said.

“I wouldn’t guarantee it,” Stu said, walking around with Cecilia. “But, it’s still relatively healthy, thanks to a few laws.”

“Wouldn’t guarantee it?” She asked, but then chuckled a bit. “Oh that’s right, environmentalism hasn’t really taken root here yet,” she said.

Stu shrugged. “Nice thing about the government though, it cares about the health of the people.”

She nodded. “That’s true.” She then asked what they should get as her stomach growled.

“Your choice,” Stu said with a smile. “There’s a nice little traditional cuisine restaurant right down the street if you’d prefer that.”

“That would be nice,” she replied smiling, holding his hand.

Stu and Cecilia walked down the street to a small restaurant on the corner of an intersection. Stu opened the door and allowed Cecilia to go in first. He followed, and they both were seated by a waitress. She handed out menus. “What can I get you to drink today,” she asked with a smile.

“If you have green tea, I would like that please,” Cecilia asked.

“Okay. And for you,” she asked, looking to Stu. “Water,” Stu replied with a smile. The waitress nodded and walked off to get their drinks. Stu began browsing through the menu. “So, what are you going to eat?”

“Hm…I’m having trouble deciding what to get.”

“Ever had pelmeni,” Stu asked.

She nodded. “Haven’t had it in a while now, but yes, I have.”

“What about okroshka, if you’re feeling like a cold soup.”

“Cold soup would be nice. I’ll have that then.”

“Okay,” Stu said with a smile. The waitress returned with their drinks. She took their order, and delivered it to the kitchen. Stu took a sip of his water. “So, what else do you want to do today?”

“I don’t know. This is a great town you have here, hun.”

Stu smiled. “Thanks. It is pretty nice.”

She nodded. “You’re welcome. It reminds me so much of my home. I must really show you it.”

She smiled as she checked a text message from her sister Anna. After reading it, she rolled her eyes.

“What’s it say,” Stu inquired, taking a drink of water.

“Oh…She’s suggesting you and I should do some…um…roleplaying. You know. The fetish kind. The kind that involves ropes, handcuffs, gags, that sort of stuff.” She was blushing a deep red. “Honestly, she can be so…so…um…odd at times.”

“And to be honest, I don’t feel comfortable doing something like that. It’s kind of creepy and I don’t really care for it at all.” She hoped Stu would answer in the same way as well. “Anna was always a weird one.”

A couple looked over at Stu and Cecilia’s booth then back to their food. Stu looked a bit surprised, and agreed with Cecilia. The waitress returned to their table and gave Cecilia the okroshka, and Stu a plate of shashlyk. “Enjoy,” she said with a smile. Stu thanked her as she walked away.

Cecilia was deeply embarrassed. “I’m sorry, Stu. I didn’t mean to embarrass you here.”

Stu chuckled. “It’s fine.” He began eating his food.

Cecilia was still embarrassed. “I know. But still, this probably wasn’t the best place to talk about such things.” She decided to keep her muzzle shut for the rest of the meal, as she slowly ate her soup. It was clear that she was worried that she had embarrassed Stu in his own hometown.

“So how’s your soup,” Stu asked as he continued enjoying his meal.

She nodded that it was good. She was still upset that she had embarrassed Stu.

Stu felt Cecilia felt bad. He smiled and took her hand. “Hey, don’t worry about it.”

She smiled back. “Thank you.” Stu was always there for her, and she was happy about that as she squeezed his hand. “I appreciate it, love.” She took a deep breath and exhaled. “My sister can be quite the odd ball, but then again, what family doesn’t have a few in their family tree?”

“That’s true,” Stu said, continuing his meal.

“You must have a few in your family too,” Cecilia said as she ate her soup.

“Eh, a couple. Uncle Pytor’s probably the biggest though.”

“Uncle Pytor?” She was interested.

Stu chuckled a bit. “Yeah, he’s always fun at family reunions. Just a big goofball.”

“Oh how so?”

“He’ll show up in crazy costumes every once in a while, and he’ll just do some crazy stuff. Too much to list off in one day.”

She laughed a bit. “Do any of your relatives live nearby?”

“Further north, a few miles from the border,” Stu replied.

She nodded. “So, have you ever ridden a horse before or done archery?”

“I’ve ridden a horse, but never fired an arrow.”

She nodded. She tried to find something else to talk about. “So, what do you think of the names I thought of for any daughters we have?”

Stu nodded. “I like them.”

She smiled. “If we have any sons, what would you like to name them?”

Stu shrugged. “I’ll know when I see them.”

She was puzzled. “Huh?”

“If we have any sons, I’ll know what their name is when I see them.”

“So, you’ll name them according to what our sons look like?”

“Sort of. I’ll name them by how they look, and pick an appropriate name.”

“Oh okay.”

She was always finished with her soup. “So, what is your favorite thing about the Art Festival,” she asked.

“I like the music,” Stu replied. What about you?

“What about you?”

“Everything!” She was enjoying the festival a great deal.

Stu smiled. “Glad you enjoyed it. Anything you want to do next?”

“Maybe play a few more games. And what else is there to do here?”

“That’s the only problem with small towns. There isn’t really that much to do.”

"True. I guess we go look at the market stalls and see how your parents are doing.

“Okay, sounds good.” Stu paid for their food and left a tip. The two walked out and began walking back to the stalls.

Frederik and Natalia were still browsing around the market stalls when Stu and Cecilia approached. Natalia smiled when she saw them approach. “How are you liking the festival Cecilia?”

“I’m loving it!” She hugged Stu’s arm. “So, this the market stalls? What do they usually sell here?”

“A little bit of everything. It’s essentially a flea market,” Frederik replied, looking over a few items on the stall in front of him.

Cecilia looked at the stalls. “What are you looking at,” she asked Frederik.

“Just a little Dymkovo toy,” Frederik replied, holding up the colorful clay object.

“Aw, it’s cute.”

“I think it’ll look good on the mantel,” Natalia said, taking it from Frederik. Showing the merchant at the stand, she asked, “How much.” The merchant looked at it for a second. “Three rublas.” Natalia nodded and handed the man three one rubla bills. The merchant smiled and took the money. “Have a nice day.” The four walked away from the stall and continued browsing.

She looked over at a stall selling a few books on historical Laiatanese fashion. She looked through a few.

“See anything you like,” Natalia asked as Stu and Frederik made their way to a stall selling old antiques.

“I haven’t told Stu this yet, but I’ve always wanted to be a fashion designer. I sketched a few designs of my own.” She looked a few more books. “Hm…A lot of these designs are so unlike those worn by Vulshainians in the past.” She smiled. “How much are these books?” She asked the merchant showing him the five books.

The merchant looked down at the books. “Three fifty for all five.”

Cecilia looked at the books and then the merchant. “Huh? That much?” She wondered if she should haggle the price down.

The merchant laughed a bit. “No, no. I meant three rublas, fifty sentens.”

“Oh.” Cecilia blushed from embarrassment. She handed the merchant four rublas.

The merchant took the bills and placed them in the money box. He took out two twenty-five senten coins and handed them to Cecilia with a smile. “Have a nice day.”

“You too.” Cecilia looked at another stall selling Laiatanese cookbooks and recipes. She picked up a couple and asked the merchant their price.

The merchant walked over to Cecilia from the back of the tent and took a look at the books. She looked up at Cecilia and replied. “One rubla each.”

Cecilia paid her the amount required.

The woman took the money and returned to the back of the tent, organizing her storage. A ruckus was heard from a few tents over as Frederik and Stu returned to Natalia and Cecilia.

“Wonder what’s going on,” Cecilia asked.

“Let’s go find out,” Stu said as he took Cecilia’s hand. The group walked over to a slowly growing crowd. Stu managed to get to the front of the crowd with Cecilia. In the semi-circle, a police officer was detaining the merchant of the stall as two others backed up the crowd. Stu leaned towards one of the people in the crowd. “What happened?” The man turned to Stu, “They found out he was selling stolen goods and was operating without a permit.” Stu moved out of the crowd and explained what happened as the police escorted the merchant away and secured his goods.

“Wait, you have to have a permit to open a stall?”

A few members of the crowd looked at her, while a few glared at her, thinking she was a Vekaiyun.

Stu nodded. “Helps keep the stolen goods being sold down, plus it’s easier to manage space when you know who is where.”

“What was he selling?”

“Matryoshka dolls.”

She looked at the dolls. “Hm…He was probably using them to smuggle stuff in, or something along those lines.” A police officer glared at her. “I’m just saying.”

The officer shook his head. “There was a shipment stolen a few days back. This looks like just a bit of it. The rest was probably distributed to more dealers.”

“Okay,” she said, making sure she was standing very close to Stu.

The officers continued removing the stolen goods as the crowd began dissipating. The group watched for a few more minutes, and continued browsing the legal stalls.

Cecilia saw several pieces of old jewelry and some shawls. She then asked Stu, “So, I was thinking you could ask your parents about looking for your family coat of arms soon.”

“I mean, I could help you and them out if you like.”

“We can probably start looking when we get home,” Stu said, putting his arm around Cecilia.

She wagged her tail and smiled. “I wonder what it has on it. My family coat of arms has a unicorn on it. The unicorn is featured in many places in Vulshain, as the unicorn represents peace and beauty in my nation.”

She looked at the stalls, browsing the wares.

“Oh, cool,” Stu said, commenting on Cecilia’s coat of arms. “See anything else you like?”

“Nothing really. Are there any restrictions on what people can sell in their stalls?”

“Pharmaceuticals, animals, stuff that’s illegal. There’s a list where you get permits.”

"What’s considered illegal besides drugs and alcohol?”

“That’s pretty much it. It varies on the province.”

“Hm…” She looked at several movies. “What is the movie rating system in Laiatan?”

“Pretty much like any other country’s, O for general audiences, RV for parental guidance suggested, RV-13 for children under 13, and OG for restricted,” the movie merchant replied.

“Ah. So, is there anything above OG, like said X?”

The merchant nodded. “DV: Adults only.”

“Ah. I see.” She looked at the movies. “Have any romance movies?”
“I don’t mind what the rating is,” she added.

The merchant pointed to one end of the stall. “They’ll be over there.”

“Thank you.” She looked at them. “What would you recommend?”

The merchant shrugged a bit. “I don’t really watch romance movies.”

“Okay. Stu, what do you think?”

Stu looked through the pile a bit. “I’m not a big expert with these movies, you pick one.” He smiled.

She sighed. “Hm…” She picked a couple of old romance movies, and one that was DV rated.

“This one is interesting. What do you think, Stu? You don’t think your parents will mind? I don’t want to make them mad or you uncomfortable.”

Stu looked at them then at the merchant. “I didn’t think you could sell these here,” Stu said in a low voice. The merchant looked at them for a moment. “Chyort!” He quickly took it from Cecilia, sliding it into the bottom of a crate he had in the back. “Sorry about that, I don’t know how it got mixed into the inventory.” The merchant looked a bit embarrassed with Cecilia there, but quickly relaxed knowing she was a foreigner.

Cecilia was puzzled. “Um…Was something wrong with the movie?”

Stu leaned in towards Cecilia. “DV is essentially X rated.”

“Okay. So, I can’t get it?”

“I think I may have confused you. DV is, for all intents and purposes, pornographic material,” the merchant said in a lowered voice.

She raised an eyebrow. “I understand. Wouldn’t offend me, but I’m guessing you can’t sell it.”

“Not in a flea market anyway,” the merchant replied.

“Oh. Okay. Well, I’ll take these romance movies here. Oh and maybe this one here,” she said. It was titled in Unonian, Ukori-179. “I remember hearing about it. It’s a Vekaiyun military movie.”

The merchant rolled his eyes a bit looking at the movie. “Alright, that’ll be 10 rublas.”

“Sure. And don’t worry about the mixup earlier. Anybody could make a mistake like that. And I’m guessing you don’t care about my last choice.”

“Let’s just say that Vekaiyuns wouldn’t be given a parade if they showed up in town.”

“Okay.” She handed him the money. Cecilia walked with Stu. “You know, I now can’t remember what that DV-rated movie was. Funny isn’t it.”

Stu nodded. “Yeah, it is.”

“See anything else?”

Stu shook his head. “No, that looks about it. Ready to go?” Natalia and Frederik wandered back to Stu and Cecilia after finishing browsing. “You two ready?”

She nodded her head. “I’m ready.”

The four walked to the car and entered. They drove back home and arrived at the house. They exited and entered the house.

Cecilia sat down on the couch. “That was a wonderful festival. It reminds me so much of home.”

Stu sat next to her on the couch as Frederik and Natalia set their purchased items on the counter. “It’s always a good experience at the festivals they hold. You’ll have to see the winter festival,” Natalia said.

“I will make sure and come to it. My home has a winter festival as well. We always end our festivals with a fashion show or a music event, normally the former than the latter. I would always love to see the beautiful dresses and outfits at the end of the festivals.”

“There aren’t many fashion shows around here, you’ll be wanting to head further south if you want to see them.”

“How far south?” Cecilia was curious.

“Zapastrova. That’s where Modasiti is,” Natalia replied, sitting on the other part of the couch with Frederik.

“Ah okay. So, Stu and I were wondering if we could help you two look for your family coat of arms,” she said, taking off her glasses and cleaning them.

“Sure. It’s probably up in the attic somewhere,” Frederik said, standing up.

“Here let me help you out,” Cecilia said.

“Okay, follow me.” Frederik made his way to the hallway and pulled down the collapsable stairs leading up to the attic. He climbed the steps and turned on the lightbulb in the attic.

Cecilia went into the attic too. She looked around.

“Well, let’s begin.” Frederik began digging through containers.

Cecilia looked through a few containers as well. She came across an old family album. “Oh look baby Stu.” She giggled a bit.

Frederik chuckled as he kept looking. “He was a cute baby.”

“He sure was.” She put the album down, making sure to remember to bring it down with her. “What does it look like,” she asked.

“You know, it’s been so long I can’t remember it that well. I think it was black and red. I know it had a heraldic wolf.”

“Okay.” She looked around. She found something that looked like a shield. “Is this it?”

“Well I’ll be…” Frederik said as he took it. “It sure is.”

She grinned, wagging her tail. Her tail soon got covered in cobwebs. “Oh great.”

Frederik chuckled. “Yeah, kind of dusty up here.” He let Cecilia go down first then followed after turning off the light. He shut the stairs and walked back into the living room with Cecilia.

Cecilia had made sure to grab the album as she went down. She brushed the cobwebs off of her tail. “Hey honey, look at you as a pup. Oh look! You’re sucking the end of your tail. How cute!” She pointed to the picture in the album.

Stu laughed. “Wow, I haven’t seen these in forever.”

She smiled. “Oh this must be your younger brother as a pup,” she said, looking at a photograph of Stu and his brother.

“Yup, that’s Mikhail,” Stu said, looking at the picture.

She nodded. She turned the page, and laughed. “Oh Den Mother! Here’s one where he’s biting your tail! Look at that expression on your face!”

Stu smiled when he saw the picture and put his arm around Cecilia.

She rested her head on his shoulder. “Oh here’s one of your parents wedding day!”

“Oh wow,” Stu said. “Talk about an old picture.”

She nodded. “Oh that reminds me. You and I need to do a bridal registry real soon."

Stu nodded. “Okay, we can do that this week.”

She smiled. “We can either do that online or in the store itself. Hm…We might have to do one here in Laiatan and another in Vulshain, to make it easier for people to see.”

Stu nodded. “That’d probably be best.”

Frederik and Natalia were still browsing around the market stalls when Stu and Cecilia approached. Natalia smiled when she saw them approach. “How are you liking the festival Cecilia?”

“I’m loving it!” She hugged Stu’s arm. “So, this the market stalls? What do they usually sell here?”

“A little bit of everything. It’s essentially a flea market,” Frederik replied, looking over a few items on the stall in front of him.

Cecilia looked at the stalls. “What are you looking at,” she asked Frederik.

“Just a little Dymkovo toy,” Frederik replied, holding up the colorful clay object.

“Aw, it’s cute.”

“I think it’ll look good on the mantel,” Natalia said, taking it from Frederik. Showing the merchant at the stand, she asked, “How much.” The merchant looked at it for a second. “Three rublas.” Natalia nodded and handed the man three one rubla bills. The merchant smiled and took the money. “Have a nice day.” The four walked away from the stall and continued browsing.

She looked over at a stall selling a few books on historical Laiatanese fashion. She looked through a few.

“See anything you like,” Natalia asked as Stu and Frederik made their way to a stall selling old antiques.

“I haven’t told Stu this yet, but I’ve always wanted to be a fashion designer. I sketched a few designs of my own.” She looked a few more books. “Hm…A lot of these designs are so unlike those worn by Vulshainians in the past.” She smiled. “How much are these books?” She asked the merchant showing him the five books.

The merchant looked down at the books. “Three fifty for all five.”

Cecilia looked at the books and then the merchant. “Huh? That much?” She wondered if she should haggle the price down.

The merchant laughed a bit. “No, no. I meant three rublas, fifty sentens.”

“Oh.” Cecilia blushed from embarrassment. She handed the merchant four rublas.

The merchant took the bills and placed them in the money box. He took out two twenty-five senten coins and handed them to Cecilia with a smile. “Have a nice day.”

“You too.” Cecilia looked at another stall selling Laiatanese cookbooks and recipes. She picked up a couple and asked the merchant their price.

The merchant walked over to Cecilia from the back of the tent and took a look at the books. She looked up at Cecilia and replied. “One rubla each.”

Cecilia paid her the amount required.

The woman took the money and returned to the back of the tent, organizing her storage. A ruckus was heard from a few tents over as Frederik and Stu returned to Natalia and Cecilia.

“Wonder what’s going on,” Cecilia asked.

“Let’s go find out,” Stu said as he took Cecilia’s hand. The group walked over to a slowly growing crowd. Stu managed to get to the front of the crowd with Cecilia. In the semi-circle, a police officer was detaining the merchant of the stall as two others backed up the crowd. Stu leaned towards one of the people in the crowd. “What happened?” The man turned to Stu, “They found out he was selling stolen goods and was operating without a permit.” Stu moved out of the crowd and explained what happened as the police escorted the merchant away and secured his goods.

“Wait, you have to have a permit to open a stall?”

A few members of the crowd looked at her, while a few glared at her, thinking she was a Vekaiyun.

Stu nodded. “Helps keep the stolen goods being sold down, plus it’s easier to manage space when you know who is where.”

“What was he selling?”

“Matryoshka dolls.”

She looked at the dolls. “Hm…He was probably using them to smuggle stuff in, or something along those lines.” A police officer glared at her. “I’m just saying.”

The officer shook his head. “There was a shipment stolen a few days back. This looks like just a bit of it. The rest was probably distributed to more dealers.”

“Okay,” she said, making sure she was standing very close to Stu.

The officers continued removing the stolen goods as the crowd began dissipating. The group watched for a few more minutes, and continued browsing the legal stalls.

Cecilia saw several pieces of old jewelry and some shawls. She then asked Stu, “So, I was thinking you could ask your parents about looking for your family coat of arms soon.”

“I mean, I could help you and them out if you like.”

“We can probably start looking when we get home,” Stu said, putting his arm around Cecilia.

She wagged her tail and smiled. “I wonder what it has on it. My family coat of arms has a unicorn on it. The unicorn is featured in many places in Vulshain, as the unicorn represents peace and beauty in my nation.”

She looked at the stalls, browsing the wares.

“Oh, cool,” Stu said, commenting on Cecilia’s coat of arms. “See anything else you like?”

“Nothing really. Are there any restrictions on what people can sell in their stalls?”

“Pharmaceuticals, animals, stuff that’s illegal. There’s a list where you get permits.”

"What’s considered illegal besides drugs and alcohol?”

“That’s pretty much it. It varies on the province.”

“Hm…” She looked at several movies. “What is the movie rating system in Laiatan?”

“Pretty much like any other country’s, O for general audiences, RV for parental guidance suggested, RV-13 for children under 13, and OG for restricted,” the movie merchant replied.

“Ah. So, is there anything above OG, like said X?”

The merchant nodded. “DV: Adults only.”

“Ah. I see.” She looked at the movies. “Have any romance movies?”
“I don’t mind what the rating is,” she added.

The merchant pointed to one end of the stall. “They’ll be over there.”

“Thank you.” She looked at them. “What would you recommend?”

The merchant shrugged a bit. “I don’t really watch romance movies.”

“Okay. Stu, what do you think?”

Stu looked through the pile a bit. “I’m not a big expert with these movies, you pick one.” He smiled.

She sighed. “Hm…” She picked a couple of old romance movies, and one that was DV rated.

“This one is interesting. What do you think, Stu? You don’t think your parents will mind? I don’t want to make them mad or you uncomfortable.”

Stu looked at them then at the merchant. “I didn’t think you could sell these here,” Stu said in a low voice. The merchant looked at them for a moment. “Chyort!” He quickly took it from Cecilia, sliding it into the bottom of a crate he had in the back. “Sorry about that, I don’t know how it got mixed into the inventory.” The merchant looked a bit embarrassed with Cecilia there, but quickly relaxed knowing she was a foreigner.

Cecilia was puzzled. “Um…Was something wrong with the movie?”

Stu leaned in towards Cecilia. “DV is essentially X rated.”

“Okay. So, I can’t get it?”

“I think I may have confused you. DV is, for all intents and purposes, pornographic material,” the merchant said in a lowered voice.

She raised an eyebrow. “I understand. Wouldn’t offend me, but I’m guessing you can’t sell it.”

“Not in a flea market anyway,” the merchant replied.

“Oh. Okay. Well, I’ll take these romance movies here. Oh and maybe this one here,” she said. It was titled in Unonian, Ukori-179. “I remember hearing about it. It’s a Vekaiyun military movie.”

The merchant rolled his eyes a bit looking at the movie. “Alright, that’ll be 10 rublas.”

“Sure. And don’t worry about the mixup earlier. Anybody could make a mistake like that. And I’m guessing you don’t care about my last choice.”

“Let’s just say that Vekaiyuns wouldn’t be given a parade if they showed up in town.”

“Okay.” She handed him the money. Cecilia walked with Stu. “You know, I now can’t remember what that DV-rated movie was. Funny isn’t it.”

Stu nodded. “Yeah, it is.”

“See anything else?”

Stu shook his head. “No, that looks about it. Ready to go?” Natalia and Frederik wandered back to Stu and Cecilia after finishing browsing. “You two ready?”

She nodded her head. “I’m ready.”

The four walked to the car and entered. They drove back home and arrived at the house. They exited and entered the house.

Cecilia sat down on the couch. “That was a wonderful festival. It reminds me so much of home.”

Stu sat next to her on the couch as Frederik and Natalia set their purchased items on the counter. “It’s always a good experience at the festivals they hold. You’ll have to see the winter festival,” Natalia said.

“I will make sure and come to it. My home has a winter festival as well. We always end our festivals with a fashion show or a music event, normally the former than the latter. I would always love to see the beautiful dresses and outfits at the end of the festivals.”

“There aren’t many fashion shows around here, you’ll be wanting to head further south if you want to see them.”

“How far south?” Cecilia was curious.

“Zapastrova. That’s where Modasiti is,” Natalia replied, sitting on the other part of the couch with Frederik.

“Ah okay. So, Stu and I were wondering if we could help you two look for your family coat of arms,” she said, taking off her glasses and cleaning them.

“Sure. It’s probably up in the attic somewhere,” Frederik said, standing up.

“Here let me help you out,” Cecilia said.

“Okay, follow me.” Frederik made his way to the hallway and pulled down the collapsable stairs leading up to the attic. He climbed the steps and turned on the lightbulb in the attic.

Cecilia went into the attic too. She looked around.

“Well, let’s begin.” Frederik began digging through containers.

Cecilia looked through a few containers as well. She came across an old family album. “Oh look baby Stu.” She giggled a bit.

Frederik chuckled as he kept looking. “He was a cute baby.”

“He sure was.” She put the album down, making sure to remember to bring it down with her. “What does it look like,” she asked.

“You know, it’s been so long I can’t remember it that well. I think it was black and red. I know it had a heraldic wolf.”

“Okay.” She looked around. She found something that looked like a shield. “Is this it?”

“Well I’ll be…” Frederik said as he took it. “It sure is.”

She grinned, wagging her tail. Her tail soon got covered in cobwebs. “Oh great.”

Frederik chuckled. “Yeah, kind of dusty up here.” He let Cecilia go down first then followed after turning off the light. He shut the stairs and walked back into the living room with Cecilia.

Cecilia had made sure to grab the album as she went down. She brushed the cobwebs off of her tail. “Hey honey, look at you as a pup. Oh look! You’re sucking the end of your tail. How cute!” She pointed to the picture in the album.

Stu laughed. “Wow, I haven’t seen these in forever.”

She smiled. “Oh this must be your younger brother as a pup,” she said, looking at a photograph of Stu and his brother.

“Yup, that’s Mikhail,” Stu said, looking at the picture.

She nodded. She turned the page, and laughed. “Oh Den Mother! Here’s one where he’s biting your tail! Look at that expression on your face!”

Stu smiled when he saw the picture and put his arm around Cecilia.

She rested her head on his shoulder. “Oh here’s one of your parents wedding day!”

“Oh wow,” Stu said. “Talk about an old picture.”

She nodded. “Oh that reminds me. You and I need to do a bridal registry real soon."

Stu nodded. “Okay, we can do that this week.”

She smiled. “We can either do that online or in the store itself. Hm…We might have to do one here in Laiatan and another in Vulshain, to make it easier for people to see.”

Stu nodded. “That’d probably be best.”

Cecilia nodded. “Um…I need to talk to you parents, alone, for a moment Stu.” She kissed him on the cheek.

“Okay,” Stu said, standing up and walking out the front door to the porch. He sat in a wooden rocking chair and relaxed. “What’s on your mind, Cecilia,” Frederik asked, sitting down on the couch.

“I was just wondering…um…well, when Stu told you that he and I were seeing each other, what were your reactions?” She pulled a couple of cobwebs from her tail as her ears pressed against her head.

“We were a bit surprised at first, you being the Vulshainian premier and uh… vulpine,” Frederik said cautiously. “But, we’ve grown on the idea and we’re happy that you’ll be joining our family.”

“So, you were surprised that Stu was in love with a vulpine?”

“Yes, actually,” Natalia said.

“Oh. So, it must have taken you some time to get use to the idea of having a vulpine in the family,” she asked.

“A little, yes,” Frederik replied.

She nodded. “Stu must have talked with you both a great deal when you got over your surprise then.”

“We did have a talk for a bit,” Frederik said.

She took a deep breath. “So, what do you think of me now that you have met me?” She was so nervous her tail was twitching.
Natalia and Frederik looked at each other, then back at Cecilia. “We absolutely love you,” Natalia said.

Cecilia’s tail poofed out like a bristle-brush. She quickly smoothed it down. “Thank you!” She was on the verge of tears of joy. “I really love your son. He is kind-hearted, brave, compassionate, smart, caring, and friendly. I know some people don’t believe in love at first sight, but it was for us. And I love him deeply.”

“We’re glad to hear that,” Natalia said with a smile.

The vulpine vixen smiled as well. “Oh I can’t wait for us to get married!” Remembering herself, she coughed. “Ahem. Sorry, got carried away there for a moment.”

“It’s perfectly alright,” Natalia said, still smiling. “I remember how I felt when we got married.”

She smiled. “I guess it’s natural to feel this way then.”

Natalia nodded. “I know I did.”

Cecilia nodded. “We plan to have to cut the caek with a sword, according to tradition for when members of the Royal Family get married. The caek will be an eight-tiered traditional fruit caek decorated with cream and white icing and 900 sugar paste flowers. And after the wedding, Stu and I will be ridding in the 1904 Royal Landau,” she added. “Feels like a wedding fit for a princess,” she said smiling.

Natalia nodded and smiled. “Sounds like it’ll be great.”

She nodded and turned to Frederik. “What do you think, Frederik? I don’t want to step on anyone’s toes here, now.”

“It sounds like it’ll be a pretty nice wedding,” Frederik responded.

She smiled. “Stu would like a wedding band, but I think I might sing at the wedding reception.”

“Why not have both,” Frederik asked, leaning back on the couch.

“I guess we could. I was wondering about the catering as well. Hm…Do you think having steamed rice with red roses, orange-boiled chicken sprinkled with daisy petals, carrots and scallop PAX FRUITS mixed with tulip petals would be too much for the reception?”

“As in…eating the flowers,” Natalia asked, puzzled.

“Yes, ma’am. Flower petals are considered a delicacy in Vulshain, especially in my hometown of Kieounava.” She smiled. “I guess we could also have violet and vanilla ice cream with candied rose petals, too.” She then noticed her future in-laws’ expressions. "Um…Did I say something odd?’

“Just the part about eating flower petals,” Frederik said. “And violet flavored ice cream.”

“Um…I guess Laiataneses don’t eat them then, huh,” she asked, making a weak laugh.

Frederik chuckled a bit and shook his head. “No, we don’t.”

“Oh. Um…Well, what should I have then? I don’t want to weird anyone out at my wedding.”

“It’s your wedding, have whatever you’d like.”

“Okay. I might have to talk to Stu about this then.” She thought about telling them that she would be inviting her Vekaiyun relatives, but she decided it would be better if Stu told them that instead of her. He might be able to calm them down. “So, Stu told me about some of the times he got into trouble as a pup.”

She chuckled a bit, wondering if Stu was sneezing as they were talking about him.

“Oh yea? What’d he say,” Frederik asked with a smile.

“Oh there was that one time about him staying past dark when he and some friends were trying to save a frog.”

“Oh yeah, I remember that.”

She chuckled a bit. “He got quite the tail cutting from you, he said.”

“Yes, he did,” Frederik replied with a nod.

She nodded. “So, you two must go to the Art Festival every year then huh?”

Natalia nodded. “Usually we do.”

She nodded in return. “If it is okay, I would like to help cook tonight if that’s okay with you two?”

Natalia shook her head and smiled. “No, it’s okay. Don’t worry about it.”

“Are you sure? I mean I don’t mind helping out some.”

Natalia smiled. “Okay, we’ll find you something to help us out with.”

“Thank you,” she said. “What would you like me to do?”

Frederik thought for a minute. “You can start shredding some cheese.” He and Natalia got up and headed into the kitchen with Cecilia. “It’s in the first drawer in the fridge.”

She nodded and got right to work. She got the cheese out and then asked for the shredder. “Um…Should we tell Stu he can come back in now?”

“If you’d like,” Frederik said as he began preparing chicken and sausage to cook. Natalia had begun boiling water and gotten a box of rice.

Cecilia shrugged and began to shred the cheese.

Stu had wandered in on his own and sat at the kitchen table. “Hey Stu, want to throw a few PAX FRUITS in the oven,” Natalia asked, fixing the rice. Stu nodded and got up, and began prepping the PAX FRUITS. Frederik had gone out back and begun cooking the chicken and sausage.

“Alright, I’m finished.”

“Okay,” Natalia said as Frederik walked in with the meat. “Go ahead and dice the sausage. Ever had dirty rice,” Frederik asked.

“Yes, sir,” she replied as she started dicing the sausage.

“Great, so when you’re done with that, go ahead and add it to the rice.” Stu had taken the PAX FRUITS out and pulled out salt, pepper, and butter.

She nodded, singing softly a Laiatanese song as she finished dicing the sausage and adding it to the rice. Her voice was very lovely and beautiful as she sang. Cecilia’s voice was like that of an angel.

Stu and his parents smiled as they listened to Cecilia. They took over the food to the table, as Frederik took out a bottle of vodka with a few glasses. “Food’s ready,” he said as he sat at the head of the table. Stu pulled out the seat to the left of Frederik for Cecilia as he took his spot at the opposite end of the table. Natalia sat to Frederik’s left.

Cecilia kissed Stu on the cheek, thanking him for pulling her seat out. She sat down.

They all held hands and Frederik said a quick prayer. He began serving himself, and passed plates clockwise as he took his share.

Cecilia did the same, dipping the food onto her plate. “Stu I was thinking of some places we could go for our honeymoon.”

“Have any ideas,” Stu asked as he took the plates from Natalia and continued them along to Cecilia.

“Well, we could go to the Weosaria Forest in Vulshain and ride the elephants, or we could take part in an archaeological dig, or even go white water rafting, or better yet: travel on the Trans-Vulshainian Express! I think the Express would be better.”

“The Trans-Vulshainian Express will have thickly carpeted carriages, and will be pannelled in teak, walnut, and mahogany, and decorated with tapestries. We’ll sit on fine leather upholstery, sleep in soft silk sheets, eat with real silver cutlery, and drink out of real crystal glasses! Won’t that be fun? It wasn’t called the Train of Nobles for nothing now.”

“That sounds uh… pretty interesting,” Stu said as he began eating. Frederik poured four glasses of vodka and passed them around. He held his up. “If you three don’t mind, I thought we’d have a quick toast tonight.” Stu and Natalia smiled and held theirs up as well.

Cecilia held up her glass too, although she noticed Stu’s uneasiness about travelling on the Trans-Vulshainian Express.

“Za vashe zdorovya,” Frederik said, which was repeated by the others at the table. He and Stu drank most of their vodka while Natalia drank a bit.

Cecilia drank a bit as well.

“So, how is everything,” Frederik asked as he began eating.

“It’s excellent.” She wondered if she should ask Stu now or wait and ask him later about his uneasiness about riding the Trans-Vulshainian Express.

The four continued eating their meal.

Cecilia asked, “Stu is there something wrong? You looked uneasy when I mentioned everything that was on board the Trans-Vulshainian Express.”

Stu shook his head. “No, nothing’s wrong. It’ll just be a change of pace riding on it.”

“Change of pace?”

Stu nodded. “Most of Laiatan doesn’t show wealth like that.”

“If you want, I’ll let you pick our honeymoon,” she said placing her hand on his, smiling at him.

Stu smiled. “Let’s figure out one we’ll both enjoy.”

She nodded. “Okay, any suggestions?”

“I’m not sure yet, we’ll need to think it over a bit. We’ve got a little bit of time.”

“Okay,” she said, with a smile.

The group finished eating, and Stu and Frederik began picking up the plates and taking them to the sink. Natalia got up and began wrapping up leftovers.

Cecilia was busy washing the dishes. “So, Stu, I was thinking, we could go on the Trans-Vulshainian Express. I remember going with my family on it when I was a little girl, and it was a wonderful experience. You will most certainly enjoy it too.” She smiled.

Stu shrugged a bit. “I dunno. It certainly sounds interesting. I’m just not sure how comfortable I’d be on it.”

“Oh come on! How can you not be comfortable on it?” She was starting to sound annoyed.

Stu turned to Cecilia. “Because most of us haven’t lived in giant castles and satin clothing.”

“Well, for your information,” she turned, glaring at him, “I don’t live in a big castle and I had planned on moving into a house like you, and while I do occasionally wear stain clothing for special occasions, I don’t act like some high and mighty queen of the world. And you could at least try to enjoy experiencing new things, buster.”

“You could at least try to understand how millions in my country feel. Our entire people were oppressed by tyrants living in that kind of stuff. That’s the whole reason the Wolfsden’s like it is. Conservative and nothing too fancy.”

“I fully understand that Stu, but you have to understand that when Merrill Rivers was in charge, he tried to destroy our entire heritage and culture. People in my country want to try and learn more about our cultural heritage.” She was starting to get mad as her tail was twitching back and forth in annoyance. “There isn’t anything wrong with something that’s a bit fancy.”

Natalia and Frederik had backed off a bit, seeing how the couple handled their first fight. Stu got equally angry. “Unless it’s seen as a symbol of oppression, just like it is here.”

“Well, it is not in my country…sometimes! I understand that such things are different, but would it kill you to learn to like another culture!?”

“I have no problems with other cultures, it’s the things that my culture has problems with.”

“Well…Well…Maybe you should be more open-minded! Ever heard the saying, ‘Don’t judge a book by its cover?’”

“Of course I have,” Stu replied. “But it still doesn’t change history, considering it repeats itself.”

She began to turn red in the face. “Did it ever occur to you the reason I want us to take that train for our honeymoon!? Because when I was with my family when I was little, it was one of my happiest times with my family!” Tears were now running down her face. “And you don’t even care to think that through, you—you—” She says something in French. “You don’t even care about how happy I
was with my parents when they were still alive.” She turned away from Stu her muzzle in her hand, her eyes closed, tears streaming down her face.
“I wanted us to create a happy memory on that train like I did with my family.” She said through her sobs.

Stu sighed and approached Cecilia. “Cecilia, I’m sorry. I didn’t realize how much it meant to you.”
Brenton says
(You can keep going)

He embraced her. “We can ride the train. I’m willing to try it for you.”

“I…I…No…I’m the one who should be sorry. I was trying to force you to do something that would make you uncomfortable. I wanted to us to have a happy memory together, and I was being selfish and inconsiderate of your feelings. But…thank you. We can go on the train on another time when you’re ready. I should have asked you where you wanted to go, instead of jumping right in and trying
to make that decision without your input.”
She embraced him back.

Stu kissed Cecilia’s head. “No, it’s okay. We can go on the honeymoon.”

“Thank you. This means a lot to me. Thank you.”

Stu walked over to the couch with Cecilia and held her as Frederik and Natalia finished cleaning up.

“I guess our first fight was going to happen sooner or later,” she said, stroking Stu’s cheek.

“Yeah, I guess it was coming.”

“Well, we seemed to have handle it well,” she said.

“I think we did,” Stu replied with a smile.

She smiled back. “Frederik. Natalia…Um…Sorry about that little scene there. I hope you two can forgive us for having our first fight in your home.”

“It’s no problem,” Frederik said. “We’ve had plenty of fights over the years.”

“Oh Den Mother. I’m not liking the fact that Stu and I will have more then.” She laughed.

Natalia shrugged. “I think it’s normal for couples to fight. It’s healthy in its own way.”

“I guess so.” She continued to stroke Stu’s cheek. “One of the stops that the Trans-Vulshainian Express visits is the statue garden of the Messengers of the Den Mother.”

“That sounds pretty cool,” Stu said with a smile.

“Are you interested in knowing who the Messengers of the Den Mother are?”

Stu nodded. “Yeah, sure.”

“Unicorns. During the 10th century AD, Laiatan Protestant missionaries decided to incorporate local myths and legends to make it better to teach northern Vulshainians of the Den Mother. Since the local farmers saw the unicorn as a creature of good luck and fertility, the missionaries told them that the Den Mother sent the unicorns out to bring the farmers and their families good fortune.”
“Not sure how unicorns are viewed here though,” she added.

“They’re about the same. Mythology and good luck.”

She nodded. She asked if she could turn on the TV.

“Of course,” Frederik said as he and Natalia made their way over to the couch.

Cecilia turned on the TV. The news showed a member of one of the other opposing parties criticizing Zak.

“The capitalist pig of the president is continuing to keep the proletariat down and refusing to offer universal healthcare. If the president truly cared, healthcare would be free to all, and all property would belong to everyone.” Stu and Frederik scoffed. The Communist spokesperson on the TV continued talking. “I don’t know why the Communists keep trying. They’re the lowest rated party in the country, and the entire country knows how much BS comes out of their mouths.” Frederik said.

She nodded. “Well, in Vulshain, healthcare is free for everyone, but that’s as far as we go to be honest. Universal healthcare is important to everyone, especially to those who can’t afford it, especially if they are working their tails and butts off to make a living. Some people have to choose between food and medicine, and the government doesn’t want them to face that situation.”
“Oh look the Green Party is criticizing Zak now.”

“The president doesn’t care about the planet, which means he doesn’t care about us!” A couple of cheers from hardline environmentalists were heard. “We must build a healthy environment for a healthy future!”

“He makes a good point about taking care of the planet,” Cecilia pointed out.

“That’s true, but it would cripple our industry. There’s enough in place right now to help protect the environment. You can’t believe everything you hear from opposition parties.”
Stu responded.

Cecilia shrugged. “I’m not that familiar with your political parties, although I probably should since I’m the Premier of Vulshain. Hey, Zak is countering his critics.”
“I wonder what the far-right parties are saying about him,” she asked.

“They support a few of his policies, but they’d much rather see totalitarian control and no government in the economy at all,” Frederik said.

“Hm…I see. Are they fascists?”

“The National Socialist Party is. The Totalitarian Party is exactly that, totalitarian.”

“Ah. Oh! Here comes Zak now, to counter his critics. Let’s listen.”

“Our industry is a vital part of our economy. Halting all ‘pollution industry’ would ultimately cripple our economy and send our great nation into chaos. On the topic of healthcare, there’s a reason why it is so effective. The private sector working with state-run and private-run hospitals and clinics to produce effective medicines and treatments. Creating universal healthcare would kill companies important to our economy. If our economy fails, we fail,” Zak nodded his head and walked off of the stage.

“I see why he’s so well-liked. He’s capable of figuring out what the people want.”
“And then delivering it to them.”

Frederik nodded. “He’s probably one of the best president’s the country’s had in all its years.”
With a grin, he continued. “And that’s not because we’re personel friends with him, either.”

She chuckled. “Well, if I could vote here, he would have my vote!”

“I’m sure he’d appreciate it,” Stu chuckled.

She smiled. “So, you mentioned something about living in a castle earlier.” She grinned. “Turns out, you actually own one. Well, an ancestor of yours did. Apparently, you had an ancestor who fled Laiatan when the korol fell and your ancestor became a nobleman in Vulshain. Turns out some historians were researching the castle and found out that you are entitled to the castle.”

Stu chuckled a bit. “Talk about irony.”

She was smiling. “Isn’t that great? According to legend, one of your ancestors hid a vast treasure somewhere in the castle. The treasure is said to contain priceless artifacts from Laiatan that were smuggled out of the country due to fear that Zukov would destroy all relics and symbols of the monarchy.”
She hugged a speechless Stu.

“Wow… I never would have expected that.”

“Yeah. It was a surprise to me too. You’re probably not going to keep the castle are you?” She said, with sly grin. She was starting to wonder if she could guess Stu’s behavior at times.

“You know, I don’t really know. It’s in Vulshain, isn’t it?”

“Yep. I’ll have to check the laws, but you can loan the castle to the Royal Family who will then act as custodians of the estate. We’ll have to pay the taxes and upkeep of the castle. Of course, the treasure if you found it would have to be returned to Laiatan, well, except for what is clearly yours of course.”

“Maybe I’ll do that.” Stu said with a smile.

“What would you do with the treasure that you were able to keep, out of curiosity.”

“Donate it, sell it, keep it. I don’t know, to be honest.”

“What do you two think,” she asked Stu’s parents.

“We’re like Stu,” Frederik said, “we aren’t sure what we’d do.”

“Well it is a big surprise of course. You have plenty of time to think about it. Of course, my grandmother thought your family, Frederik were descended from the last Korol. Now that would be something right there.”

“That wouldn’t be a very good thing,” Frederik said. “He was the worst leader Laiatan ever had.”

“Well, I wonder what his children were like.”

Frederik shrugged. “No idea. They were killed with his wife to cut the line by a death squad. Pretty extreme, in my own opinion, even for a tyrant.”

“True. I’m surprised Zukov allowed that to happen.”

“He was pretty extreme the first few years up until he was elected and the constitution was signed.”

She nodded. “I wonder what else is going on.” She turned the channels. “Anyone see anything they want to watch? I did buy some romance movies from the market today. Which reminds me, Stu you want to tell them what happened today when I tried to buy a ‘certain’ movie?” She giggled.

“Let’s just say it was a certain movie that couldn’t be sold,” Stu said, chuckling.

Cecilia smiled, nodding.

“Um…let’s see…I did get the Revolutionary and the Noblewoman. I think it’s set during Zukov’s rise to power and one of his top officers falls in love with a noblewoman. Kind of like Romeo and Juliet I suppose. I think it does have a happy ending where the two of them flee to Vulshain. The other one was the Captain’s Log. A captain falls for a fisherman’s daughter, or something along those
lines. The last one is “Hey man, why is your fiance wearing a Lamp Shade?” It’s a romantic comedy.”

“You pick," Stu said with a smile.

“Hm…I guess the Revolutionary and the Noblewoman.”

“Alright.” Stu took the DVD and put it in the player.

They watched it. Cecilia cried a few times during the sad scenes. At the end, Cecilia smiled. “What an excellent movie. Much better than the Vekaiyun movies. They like dark themed movies, like horror and thrillers.”

“We’ve got those too,” Frederik said. “But our cinema is more varied, it sounds like.”

“Yep. I like varied cinema. Can’t watch gloomy gothic and dark movies all of the time.”

“Yeah, I’ve gotta agree.”

Cecilia stretched. “It’s getting late. Want to turn in for the night,” she asked Stu.

“Sure. Night mom and dad.” They kissed them both goodnight and followed them, but split off to their seperate rooms.

“Sorry, I got into that fight with you, love, earlier.”

“It’s okay. I’m sorry too.” Stu smiled and kissed Cecilia.

She kissed him back. “Still, thank you for understanding.”

“It’s no problem.”

She smiled. As she got into bed, she asked, “So, what do you want to do tomorrow?”

Stu shrugged, climbing in after her. “Whatever you’d like.”

“Okay. I’ll have to think about it then.” She embraced him as she drifted off to sleep.

Stu fell asleep shortly after.

OOC: Collab post between me and SY. And yes it is still June during this rp.

IC:

Cecilia slowly woke up. Stretching and yawning, she looked at the clock. “Hm…Almost noon. And Stu’s still asleep. I wonder how he will react.”

Stu woke up a few minutes later and stretched. “Morning,” he said with a smile. He looked at the alarm clock and shrugged it off. “Oh well, I’m still on vacation.”

Chuckling a bit, Cecilia smiled. “I’m guessing you would be panicking if you weren’t on vacation. What happens if you’re ever late for work?”

Stu shrugged. “Discipline. Starts off low and gets progressively worse. Scolding, meeting with superiors, pay cut, and eventually dismissal.”

“Well, I’m sure Zak would pull your tail out of the fire,” she said.

Stu shook his head. “He doesn’t tolerate constant tardiness. In fact, he’d be the one dismissing me.”

“Oh no! Well, I hope you aren’t constantly tardy then.”

She kissed him on the cheek. “By the way, I had a lovely dream about you last night.”

Stu smiled. “What was it about?”

“Let’s just say you looked good in tights and a cape.” She laid back down, her hands behind her head. “You were a superhero who would leap tall buildings, fly through the air, and was super-strong and I was the woman you always saved from the dastardly supervillain.”

She smiled.

Stu smiled back. “Sounds like a great dream.” Stu climbed out of bed after kissing Cecilia, and put on a pair of shorts and his college t-shirt, white with the university seal on the front.
“That your alma mater?”

Stu nodded. “Yup, Volkgoroda State University. Class of '01.”

“Ah. I see.”

Cecilia put on a T-shirt that had the seal of the Cathican Aviation Armed Forces Academy on the front and back. She put on a pair of shorts as well.

“That yours,” Stu asked, opening the door for Cecilia.

“Yep. Class of '03. Then a couple of weeks later, the Vulshainian Civil War went off like a roman candle.”

“Ah yeah, I remember that. I was lucky enough to avoid going in for a few months.”

“Yep,” she said with a sigh. “Anyhow, I wonder what your parents are going to say about us sleeping so late.”

Stu shrugged. “I don’t think they’ll mind.” Stu walked with Cecilia into the living room and kitchen, and Frederik and Natalia were nowhere to be seen. A note was on the fridge. Stu pulled it off and read it aloud. “We went to the market, didn’t want to wake you two up. See you in a bit. -Mom & Dad.” The time was written after, showing they left at about 11 am.

“Ah. Well, we have the house for a bit then.” She then decided to talk with Stu about what she had talked with his parents about. “I talked with your parents some yesterday. About us…”
“They really like me. I’m very happy.” She smiled.

Stu smiled. “Good, I’m glad.” He pulled out a few leftovers from the fridge to make lunch. “What do you want to eat,” Stu asked, looking back at Cecilia.

“I guess leftovers then. Speaking of food, I talked with your parents about what we should have at the reception. Steamed rice with red roses, orange-boiled chicken sprinkled with daisy petals, carrots and scallop PAX FRUITS mixed with tulip petals, with violet and vanilla ice cream with candied rose petals for dessert.”

Stu laughed a bit. “I will never understand you Vulshainians and your flower petal eating.” He kissed Cecilia on the cheek and made up two plates.

She laughed a bit as well. “I guess you could say that flowers were considered good luck, and eating them was believed to bestow the eater with luck or something along those lines. No one believes that though, and we don’t always eat them. But, back to the matter at hand. What do you think we should serve at the reception?”

Stu shrugged. “Solzakaze, borsch, pirozhki, Chicken Volkgoroda, shashlyk. Stuff like that.”

“Okay. I think we could do that. I…I…um…What did you want to do after you left the military? I mean career-wise.”

Stu shrugged. “Never really thought about after the military. I might go Zak’s route, or maybe go into law enforcement.”

She nodded. “Um…For me…and please don’t laugh, but I wanted to after I left the military was to become a fashion designer and fashion journalist, as well as a ballet instructor. I thought I had, but the guy I worked for…had something else in mind.”
She held her head in her hands.

Stu smiled, “Nothing wrong with that.” He set Cecilia’s plate down in front of her and he sat next to her. “What happened?”

“Well…Please don’t hate me. But this guy made me work as an…exotic dancer.” She sniffed. “I…didn’t want to do something so degrading, but he threatened to hunt down and hurt my brothers and sisters, especially Sam. Sam was an alcoholic back then and would have been an easy target for some street gang or a mugger who had an itchy trigger-finger. A lot of criminals saw veterans as easy pickings by threatening our loved ones or something else to make us do things we wouldn’t ever do.” She sighed. “Luckily, I had friends who found out what was going on. One of them was a cop, and he had a friend who was a DA. So they built up a case against the guy. My other friends stay with me at my apartment making sure he didn’t come after me while the cops dragged the slimeball and his buddies to prison.” She smiled. “Another friend of mine, who you met back when you visited during Christmas, helped me find a job as a ballet instructor and I even found work as an assistant at a fashion designer’s studio.”

She waited to hear Stu’s response. She was worried that Stu would be unhappy that she was once an exotic dancer.

Stu smiled. “Doesn’t bother me one bit,” he said as he began eating. “Good to hear the guy’s in jail now.”

“Yep.” She began eating. “But back to the wedding and the reception. Do you know of any place we could a bridal registry at here in your hometown?”

Stu thought for a second. “The local bridal store. It’s nothing much, just a little shop.”

“Okay. Maybe we could visit it later. How much vacation days do you have by the way?”

“I’ve got probably, a week and a half left,” Stu replied. “So we should be heading back in about four days.”

Okay. I have a good bit of vacation time left. Probably a few weeks. I’ve collected quite a bit of vacation time. That tends to happen when you work your tail off. When is your birthday? I thought we would be staying for it."

“Tomorrow,” Stu said with a smile.

She smiled. “I can’t wait to give you your present!” She wagged her tail happily.

Stu smiled as he took Cecilia and his own plate over to the sink. “Any ideas?”

“I’m not telling you, now. It wouldn’t be a surprise if I did.” She went over to the couch and turned on the news. “Hm…Oh boy. Looks like nothing’s on the news…Oh snap! Your communist party is saying nasty things about Vulshain now.” She growled at the communist representative. “I did not seduce him you lying piece of…Argh!”

Stu sat with Cecilia. “I doubt Zak will say anything, he’s in the daily meeting.”

“Well…I didn’t seduce you, and just because we’re developing mech technology, doesn’t make us a warmongering imperialist nation!”
She was mad.

Stu rubbed her arm. “It’s okay, they’re psycho communists. They’ll say anything for some airtime.”

She leaned on his shoulder. “I guess you’re right. I wonder what else is on.” She handed Stu the remote.

Stu flipped through the channels, passing several documentaries, comedies and other shows. “Doesn’t look like much is on.”

“What were documentaries about?”
Southern Yugoslavia says (2:05 AM)
He flipped back to the documentaries. “History of Volkgoroda, the military, oh, and Wild Laiatan.” He flipped to Wild Laiatan. “It’s a nature documentary, covers every section of Laiatan and its wildlife.”

“Hm…I’m interested in Wild Laiatan then. Let’s watch it.” She snuggled next to Stu.

The program showed the Ison Savu Mountains and its wildlife, ranging from cardinals to deer and cougars.

Cecilia was quite interested in the documentary. “Fascinating,” she said.

Stu was interested as well, and laid his head on Cecilia’s.

The show ended, and Frederik and Natalia came back in. “Afternoon you two,” Frederik said as he carried in groceries.

“You two need any help with the groceries,” Cecilia asked.

“No, this is the last of them,” Natalia said, setting them on the counter.

“Okay. Stu and I woke about an hour after you left apparently,” she said.

Frederik chuckled. “Just like your teenage years, huh Stu?” Stu laughed a bit and nodded. “Yeah, I slept in a lot then.”

Cecilia laughed too. “Stu and I decided on what to serve at the reception, which will be solzakaze, borsch, pirozhki, Chicken Volkgoroda, and shashlyk. So, we won’t have flower petals,” she said giggling a bit.

Stu laughed. “You can still serve that.” Frederik licked his lips. “That sounds pretty good.”

“Thank your son. It was his idea,” she said with a smile. “I probably should have asked your parents to get me some green tea, but it’s okay,” she whispered to Stu.

They unloaded the groceries. “We got a bit of tea for you Cecilia,” Natalia said, putting things in the pantry.

“Oh?”

“I remembered you liked green tea, so I got you some.” Natalia said. The two of them made their way over the couch and sat with the couple.

“Oh thank you very much.” She snuggled up closer to Stu. “We were just watching some documentaries when you got back. And apparently, the Communists here are accusing me of seducing your son and then they accused Vulshain of being a bunch of imperialist warmongers. A bunch of liers and motormouths if you ask me.”

“Like they always are,” Frederik said.

“Yep. So, Stu liked to sleep late alot when he was younger huh?”

Frederik nodded. “Yeah, he did. He slept in until 3 one time.”

“Oh no!”

Stu laughed. “It was summer.”

“Oh okay! I’ve slept in till noon, but never three!”

“That’s a thing of the past now, though.”

“That’s true. So, do you need any help in making Stu’s birthday caek?”

Natalia shook her head. “Yes, actually. Frederik can take Stu out while we make the caek.”

“Okay!” She whispered to Stu, “Make sure you mention that I will be inviting some of my Vekaiyun relatives to our wedding, and try to calm him down if he gets upset okay, love?”

Stu nodded. “I will. He hates the government more than the people, so it should be fine.”

“Okay, thank you,” she whispered before kissing him on the cheek.

“No problem,” Stu replied, kissing her back.

“So, what do you want me to do,” she asked Natalia.

“Get up early tomorrow, we make everything from scratch in this house,” she replied, laughing.

“Okay!”

OOC: Collab post between myself and Vulshain.

IC:

Frederik had already woken Stu and taken him out of the house, while Natalia woke Cecilia and began setting up the kitchen for Stu’s birthday.

Cecilia hummed to herself as she helped Natalia set up. “So, what kind of caek are we making for Stu? Chocolate, vanilla, fruit-based, all of the above, or something else?”

“Vanilla with chocolate icing,” Natalia replied, pulling out the required ingredients. She opened the cabinet and pulled out a small , decorated box, holding family recipes passed down generations. She opened up the box and found the caek recipe.

Cecilia looked at the recipe. She smiled, wagging her tail a bit, remembering the times she would help her mother in the kitchen cooking. “This brings so many happy memories of my family,” she said as she helped Stu’s mother with the ingredients.

Natalia smiled. “Oh yeah?” Natalia walked back to another cabinet and pulled out a mixing bowl and a couple of measuring cups. “Can you reach down there and hand me the baking pan,” she asked, pointing at a bottom cabinet.

“Sure thing,” the vixen said. She opened the cabinet and got the baking pan out. “Here were are.”

“Thank you,” Natalia said as she mixed the ingredients in the mixing bowl. “What were your parents like,” she asked, wondering about Cecilia’s background.

“They were kindhearted, caring, and loving parents. Mom was a bit like you. And Dad, well, he was Vekaiyu. They met during the Monarchical Revolution. And after the war was over, he found out that she bore him a daughter. A bit of a shock really, but he decided to stay with her and start a family. He left the Vekaiyun military and married my mom. He had a bit of trouble adjusting to living
in Vulshain. Culture shock if you will, what with him being a Vekaiyun and all. Dad and Iwere close, although when I became a Laiatan Protestant, it…caused some stress in our relationship. We patched things up and became closer I guess. He was a Vayan Catholic. Mom was a Celiam Methodist.”

“They sound like they were good people,” Natalia said as she continued mixing. “Can you turn on the oven?”

“Sure,” she replied. “I have three sisters: Anna, Natalka, and Taisyia, and two brothers: Samuil and Erik. Anna’s the oldest. I’m the third sister of the family. Natalka’s my sororal twin sister.”

Natalia smiled as she poured the mix into the pan, and began mixing up homemade icing. “Where’d you live when you were younger,” she asked.

“Well, I lived in Kieounava for much of my life, although I did live in a dorm when I was attending Aviation Armed Forces Academy in Cathican. After the Vulshainian Civil War, I lived in Kitsuniva.”

“Ah, sounds like you’ve lived an interesting life so far. What’d you do in the war?”

“Air Force fighter pilot. Flying missions against insurgents and radicals.”

“Oh, wow. What’d you fly?”

“Dassault Rafale, Mikoyan MiG-29 Fulcrums, Sukhoi Su-27 Flankers, and Mikoyan MiG-31 Foxhounds. My callsign was White Fang.”

“Stu went in during that mess too. Hasn’t told me much, but it sounds like it was pretty bad.”

“It…was. Not many veterans like to talk about it. A good many after the war turned to drugs or the demon in the bottle to try and forget…A few couldn’t. So they turned to the bullet.”

“That’s sad to hear,” Natalia said as she put the caek in the oven.

“It was…The Civil War took a lot from us. Loved ones…friends…homes…It took a long time to heal the scars. It took me a long time to heal after my parents died…during the war.”

“I’m sorry to hear that,” Natalia replied. “Want something to drink,” she asked, opening up the fridge.

“Water, please,” Cecilia answered.

Natalia poured two glasses of water and handed Cecilia one. “So how do you like the Premier business,” she asked, drinking a bit of water.

Chuckling a bit, Cecilia took sip of her water. “It has its ups and downs. I never really imagined myself being the Premier of Vulshain. Of course, since my brother, Sam, is the king, he has the right to pick whoever he thinks is right for the job. So, you can imagine my surprise when he told me that he had picked me.”
She laughed. “Let’s just say, that my reaction wasn’t what he expected.”

“Did you have to be approved by your Parliament?”

“Well, yes. Only the Communists, half of the Socialists, and a whole of Conservatives weren’t too happy. Luckily, the votes were in my favor. Landslide of a favor to be honest.”

“That’s good to hear. Are you happy you were picked?”

“Well, at first, no. I felt like taking a kitchen sink and beating my brother over the head with it. I disliked politics, and now here was her own brother making her his chief advisor. I calmed down a bit and decided to accept the position, of course not because my brother was the king, but because I loved and cared about him.”

“And now you love it, right?”

“Love it? I like it, and it has allowed me to help my people and nation, not to mention it allowed me to meet Stu…and fall in love.” She smiled. “I must sound like a romantic didn’t I?”

Natalia smiles and shakes her head. “No, it sounds like you’re in love.”

She smiled. “I am. And I’ve very happy to have met Stu. I hope he likes his birthday gift.”

“What’d you get him,” Natalia asked, pulling the caek out of the oven when the timer rang.

“A motorcycle,” she replied looking at the caek.

“Really? Wow, I only got him a watch,” Natalia said jokingly. “He’ll have to go to the DMV back in Volkgoroda.”

“I forgot about that,” Cecilia said, embarrassed, rubbing the back of her head. “Of course, I did get him an old grandfather clock that had belonged to my dad as well. Of course, my brother Sam got him a present as well. And your guess is as good as mine, as I have no idea what my brother got him.”

“We’ll find out today,” Natalia said, laughing.

She smiled and laughed as well. “So, what’s next for the caek?”

“We just gotta ice it,” Natalia said with a smile.

“Mind if I help?”

“Of course!” Natalia handed Cecilia a knife, and they began icing the caek.

“It’s starting to look good doesn’t it?”

“Yes, it does.” Natalia put the knife down and looked in the cabinets for candles. Pulling some out, she set them next to the caek.

Cecilia’s tail was wagging. “Oh it looks good.”

“Yeah, it does.” Natalia smiled and placed it in the fridge. “Now we wait for them to get back.”

She nodded. “So, do you have any questions about my family?”

“What did your parents do for a living?”

“Dad worked as an engineer, and Mom taught music lessons, one reason why I’m skilled with the violin. She loved music, and my brothers, sisters, and I love music too. She would be very proud of us. Dad too.”

Natalia smiled when the door opened up, with Stu and Frederik walked in.

“Welcome back,” she said. Stu was barely in when Cecilia hugged and kissed him. “Happy birthday, sweetie.”

Stu hugged and kissed Cecilia back. “Thanks honey.” Natalia came over and hugged Stu. “Happy birthday, dear.” Stu smiled and hugged her back, thanking her.

“So, what do you want to do first? Open presents or eat caek?” She chuckled a bit.

“Let’s start with caek,” Stu said, grinning. “But first,” Stu reached behind him and unhooked a concealed carry holster with a new pistol. Stu laid it on the table. “Look what dad bought me,” he said with a grin.

Cecilia smiled and shook her head. “So, how many guns have you gotten him over the years?”

“Second one. Got it so he could replace the old pea shooter he’s got now,” Frederik replied, with a smile.

“Oh? What’s wrong with the old one?”

“The military issued him a lower caliber, I got him a higher caliber,” Frederik replied.

She nodded. “So, let’s get the caek out then.”

Natalia pulled out the caek and set it on the table. She placed the candles and lit a match to begin lighting them.
Brenton says
“Happy birthday to Stu, happy birthday to him,” Cecilia sang.

Natalia and Frederik sang with her, and cheered when Stu blew out the candles.

Cecilia smiled, wondering what her future husband’s wish was.

Natalia cut the caek and began serving it with ice cream. “Enjoy everyone,” she said with a smile.

Cecilia nodded. She took a bite of the caek and ice cream. “So, what do you think Stu,” she asked.

“It’s great,” Stu said with a smile.

Cecilia grinned and wagged her tail a bit.

The four finished eating the caek and went to the presents. He opened Natalia’s first, thanking her for the watch, thanking Frederik for the gun again, and went to Cecilia’s.

She handed him a set of keys. She grinned. “It’s a motorcycle. Should be here any…” There was a knock at the door. “I’ll get it.” She ran to the door. She began speaking with two men, thanking them both."
“Alright it’s here!”

The three got up while Stu grinned and threw his arm around Cecilia. He saw the motorcycle. “Wow, it looks great!”

Stu climbed onto it and got a feel for it. “Thanks Cecilia.” He climbed off and kissed her.

“You’re welcome. Your mom reminded me that you had to go to the DMV in order to get your license,” she said smiling. “I also got you another gift too.” She turned to the two men. “Okay, put it inside. Be careful with that! Or I’ll have you two scrubbing toilets in some relay station somewhere!”
The large present was carefully put inside. “Alright, Premier Rainard is that everything?”
“That should be it. And yes, I’m fine. You can head back to the Embassy now.”
They nodded and wished Stu and his family a good day. “Happy birthday Commandant,” one of them said as they left.
Cecilia skipped back inside, smiling.

Stu nodded and followed her inside, Frederik and Natalia trailing. “What is it,” Stu asked, examining it.

“Open it silly and find out,” she said grinning.

Stu opened it, and grinned when he saw the clock. “Wow, it’s incredible, Cecilia.” He smiled and put his arm around her again.

“It belonged to my dad. I’m sure he would have wanted you to have it,” she said putting her arm around him.

“That makes it even more special,” he said with a smile.

“Yes, it does.”
“Oh and this one is from my brother…” She paused for a moment. “Strange…sounds like there’s something moving inside it. But that can’t be. There are no airholes or anything.” She was stumped.
“Stu, you mind if I open this one for you?”

“Of course,” Stu said with a smile.

Cecilia opened it, and out came a little robotic bird. Actually, it flew out, flying about the room before landing on Stu’s shoulder. Cecilia rolled her eyes and smiled.
“Wendy, wendy,” the bird chirped. It then acted like it was cleaning its wings like a real bird. Then it started singing like a real bird, although it was singing happy birthday.

Stu grinned. “I guess this is some new technology you’ve developed back east.”

“Actually, this is something that my brother invented. He always enjoyed tinkering with things, even as a little kit.”
There was a note inside the box.

Stu picked up the note and read it.

“Dear Stu, I want to wish you happy birthday. Cecilia told me she would be celebrating your birthday with you. I am glad you and her both met each other. You have brought much joy to our family. If my parents were alive, they would have welcomed you with open arms. This little bird, Wendy, is a little invention of mine. I hope you like her. She is quite intelligent and friendly.”
"Not to mention helpful. Wendy is my gift to you not only as a friend, but as a brother. Well, we will be brothers once you and my sister get married. And tell Cecilia to take her time with her vacation! I’m not having my sister work herself to death! She didn’t sleep one bit for almost the entire month of March, and I don’t want her to get that way again!
“Well, I’ve ranted on for a while now, so happy birthday, Stu. Love, Sam Rainard”

Stu smiled when he read the note and put it away. He examined the bird a bit, hugged Cecilia again.

“My brother likes to invent a good bit when he has the time to tinker,” she said as she hugged him back. “I hope you enjoyed your birthday.”

“I did,” Stu said with a smile. “Thanks you guys.” Natalia and Frederik smiled and gave him a hug.

Cecilia’s cell phone rang. “Hello,” she asked.
“Yes, he’s here right now.”
“It’s my sister Anna.”

Stu took the phone. “Hey, Anna.”

“Hello, Stu. So, you’re my future brother-in-law huh? Well, I hope to meet you soon. Anyhow, I have yet received my sister’s reply to that suggestion I mentioned to her about spicing up you two’s…well…evenings.” Anna chuckled. “Knowing her she was probably mortified, wasn’t she?”

Stu laughed. “You could say that,”

“And how about you? What do you think?”

“I’m with her on this one.”

“Oh?” Anna was a bit surprised. “Oh well, that’s okay I guess. But, from what I’ve heard, you will make an excellent husband for her. Just a word of caution: she tends to get cranky and grumpy if she doesn’t get enough sleep. One of her flaws I suppose. So, how is your birthday going?”

“It’s going pretty good,” Stu replied.

“That’s good to hear. Well, to be honest, this is quite a big surprise as I missed a lot of things in my life and recovering from amnesia isn’t a luxury cruise. But I’m glad that you two have found each other. My best wishes to each of you. Happy birthday, Stu. I got to go now. I have a meeting with some of the brass in about…AH! Three minutes! Bye and happy birthday!” The call ended.

Stu returned Cecilia her phone.

“What did she say?”

“Just wished me a happy birthday,” Stu said with a smile.

Cecilia smiled. “That’s good to hear. So, do you have friends here who are going to drop by and wish you happy birthday?”

“You know, I don’t know.” Stu said. “Most of them have moved off to the big city.”

“Oh okay. I thought you might have a few who still lived here.”

“I’m sure there are, but I don’t think they know I’m here.” He shrugged. “Oh well, all the people that are important to me now are here.”

“Oh you!” She kissed him on the cheek.

Cecilia smelt the homecooked birthday meal for Stu. “Seems delicious,” she said as she was about to sit down. That was until the doorbell rang. “You want me to get it,” she asked Frederik.

“No, no. It’s fine,” Frederik replied, standing up and walking towards the door. He opened it, wondering who would show up at this hour. There was nobody there.

Frederik was puzzled and stepped out onto the porch, looking around. He shrugged and shut the door, walking back to the table. “Nobody was there.”

There was a knock at the door. Frederik sighed and walked back to the door, opening it. Once again he stepped out onto the porch, and looked around.

“Down here sir,” came a voice with a strong Arabic accent and dialect. It was male gnome wearing a turban and nicely trimmed beard.

Frederik looked a bit surprised as he looked down to the gnome. “Y-yes? Can I help you,” Frederik asked.

“These are for Commandant Stewart Riskotov and Premier Cecilia Rainard from The Honorable Prime Minister Raj Volkan of Elephana. Upon hearing of their joyous engagement, he believed that it would be polite and respectable to have these flowers sent to them.” He handed a bouquet of eleven yellow roses. “He hopes Allah will bless them for many years.”

Frederik looked a bit surprised as he uneasily took the yellow roses. “Okay, t-thank you. Have a good night.” Frederik walked back inside and shut the door behind him. He walked back into the kitchen, “A uh, a gnome left you two these.” Frederik handed the roses to Cecilia.

“Okay. Hm…Here’s a card. Oh! It’s from the Elephanian Prime Minister Raj Volkan. I spoke to him via web video before I went on vacation. A nice and friendly gnome. We should probably invite him to our wedding. The card says, ‘My Allah bless the families of Riskotov and Rainard with much joy and happiness, which these yellow roses symbolize.’”

She smiled. “That was so nice of him.” She then noticed the look on Frederik’s face. “Um…You okay?”

“It’s just yellow flowers don’t mean the same to Laiataneses as they do in other cultures.”

“Ah okay.” Cecilia left it at that. “Were you surprised by the gnome, too?”

Frederik nodded. “Yeah, you don’t typically see those around here.”

She nodded. “There are a few in Vulshain. Most of them are Muslims, many of whom immigranted from Elephana and Listonia during the Listonian War for Independence.”

“Huh, interesting.” Frederik said, taking his seat again. “Well, hopefully we won’t have any more interruptions.” He grinned and quickly said a prayer with the group. He began serving himself and passed the food around the table.

Cecilia passed the food to Natalia. “So, Stu, have you given any thought about who to invite to the wedding?”

Stu nodded. “Well, my parents obviously, aunts, uncles, cousins, nephews, all my blood relatives. Zak, a few coworkers, maybe a couple of friends in the Narodnoe. What about you,” he asked, eating a bit of food.

“Several of my Vekaiyun relatives, my grandmother, cousins, my brothers and sisters, several of my friends, and if you think it would be a good idea, maybe a couple of world leaders.”

“Which ones,” Natalia asked.

“Well, maybe the Premier of Vekaiyu, and the Prime Minister of Elephana, and hm…who else do you think I need to invite,” she said to Stu.

Stu shrugged. “That sounds like it’d be enough,” Stu replied. “Any other family members or friends would be just fine.”

She smiled and nodded. “Raj Volkan is a nice person, Stu. A lot of magazines and newspapers say that he is quite possibly one of the humblest leader in history. He drives a Maruti 800, one of the humblest cars in the market. He also has a clean background. No signs of corruption or anything like that.”

“He sounds like a nice guy,” Stu said as he ate a bit.

“He is. He is very well-liked by many people.” Cecilia smiled as she ate a bit. “By the way,” she said to Stu’s parents. “Did you two know that Stu here almost caused an international incident between Laiatan and Vulshain when he was visiting me last year?”

“It wasn’t that bad,” Stu said, defending himself while smiling.

“He punched one of our scientists. Of course, the doctor did pull your tail, although that was part of the examination,” she said smiling back.

Frederik laughed. “Well, I guess Stu taught him not to pull on his tail.”

“He gave him a very nice black eye.”

“I still don’t think it would have caused an international incident,” Stu said, taking a quick drink.

“Of course I can,” Stu grinned.

She chuckled a bit. “Still, when do you have to go back to work? I don’t have to go back to work until sometime the week after next.”

“I’ve got to go to work next Wednesday,” Stu replied. He continued eating and took a drink.

She nodded. “Okay. Well, I can take care of your house…cleaning, cooking, stuff like that while you’re at work or something.”

“Feel free to go out around the city, there’s plenty of things to do in the capital. Don’t feel like you’ve got to stay in the house all day,” Stu replied.

She smiled. “Okay, I think I will.”

“Interested in a bit of history,” Frederik asked as he continued eating.

“I’d recommend the Museum of Laiatan History in Volkgoroda. Might as well learn a bit about the early history of your neighbor.”

“I would enjoy that a lot then. I’m interested in learning more about Laiatan.”

“Then you’ll enjoy the museum,” Stu said, finishing his plate.

Cecilia finished her plate as well.

Stu stood up and took the plates, taking them to the sink.

“Need any help,” Cecilia asked.

Stu smiled and shook his head. “No, it’s fine.” Frederik and Natalia got up and moved to the couch.

“I wonder what’s on tonight,” she said. As she moved to the couch as well.

Frederik turned on the television and began flipping through the channels. Like the night before, several sitcoms were on as well as documentaries, reality shows and the news.

“What’s on the news?”

Frederik turned it to the news. “Eh, doesn’t look like much. A bit on the election. Oh, a Skopa team’s surronding a hostage situation in Volkgoroda.”

“What?” Cecilia was worried about this.

The camera zoomed in on several Skopa officers armed with assault rifles aimed at a motel room. “The suspect has been locked in the room with the hostage for about two hours. We’re going to go ahead and put an end to it,” a senior member of the Skopa team reported to the news reporter as tear gas was fired into the window of the motel room as officers moved in with gas masks. Shots were fired, and the officers pulled out someone tied up, presumably the hostage. One of the officers waved an ambulance to the area as the hostage was moved to the police lines. Two officers dragged the wounded hostage taker out through the door and loaded him onto a stretcher. The camera moved back to the news reporter. “Officers have rescued the hostage and the suspect is in custody.”

“Well, that is good that they were able to save the hostage,” Cecilia said.

Stu nodded. “Yeah, they’re pretty good at what they do.” He sat next to Cecilia.

She nodded. “That’s good. When I get back to work, I need to meet up with the Laiatanese military liasion.”

Stu nodded. “He’s probably already moved in,”

“That’s good. I hope to meet him. Do you know anything about him?”

Stu shook his head. “Only that he’s in the Army.”

“Ah. I see. Well, I’ll find out more about him when I meet him I guess.”

Stu nodded.

IC:

Stu unlocked and opened his front door, removing his service cap and his drenched raincoat, hanging them up on the coat rack near the door. He walked into the kitchen and set his briefcase on the counter.

“How was work,” Cecilia asked as she finished folding up clothes. She watching a political debate where some of Zak’s own party members were questioning Vulshain’s military training.

“Not too bad,” Stu replied. “How was your day?”

“Same here. I did some cleaning up and everything. Nothing to do what with the rain. I was just watching some TV too. Apparently, some of your politicians don’t like how we train our soldiers. They’re referring to a hostage situation that happened in Kitsuniva last night.”

“The Confederate Gendarmerie captured a known serial killer and rapist before he could take another life. No hostages were hurt, but the killer had to be airlifted to a hospital.”

“He’s still in critical condition.”

Stu shrugged. “What party? Sounds more like the liberals if they’re complaining.”

“Actually, it’s Zak’s party.”

She pointed at the TV. “Look I’m glad that we are in alliance with Vulshain, but sometimes their military reminds me too much of Vekaiyu’s. I mean, come on! Mechs, battlesuits, transformable siege tanks! And now this!”

“The guy deserves to be put in the electric chair, but from what I heard, it seems the Vulshainian authorities beat the man and tossed him down several flights of stars. I know that in Vulshain, if a criminal touches a cop, he gets the tar beat out of him! Surely, we need to talk with Vulshain about these things.”

"Vulshain is known for its engineering feats, but mechs? Tanks are much better and affordable. And here’s the thing: Vulshain wants to help us build our own mechs!? The President trusts the Vulshainians, but I think we need to draw a line in the sand here. Word is the Vulshainians are building a battlesuit for our soldiers.’
“Do we really need them?”
Cecilia shrugged her shoulders. “Pretty much that’s it.”
“I think it’s Zak’s party.”

Stu watched the TV for a minute. “Huh. He’s actually an independent.” Stu said, as he opened up his briefcase and pulling out some paperwork. “I didn’t think Vulshain was producing battlesuits for us. We produce most of our own stuff.” He removed his service coat and placed it on a chair, which he then sat in, placing the paperwork in front of him.

“Well, you did test drive that prototype armor last year, so Natalka probably is trying to see if we can it some developed for you. Of course, the Laiatanese military liasion is probably trying to talk us out of it. We do owe Laiatan a lot to be honest.”
“What’s the papework for?”

“Order forms for the new battle armor we’ve developed. We’re going to start field testing them,” Stu replied, taking out a pen.

“Ah! That’s good to hear. We had hoped to put in flight capabilities, but we had to scrap that part as it was too draining on the power.”

Stu nodded. “We’re keeping ours relatively simple. A HUD, protection from small arms and explosives, stuff like that.”

She nodded. “So, what would you like for dinner? I can fix you something.”

“I was thinking we could order take-out,” Stu replied, beginning to fill out the paperwork. “There’s some menus in the bottom drawer there.”

“Okay.” She went and got them. “So what would you like?”

“Your choice, look through them.”

“Hm…Let’s see now. Chinese sounds good.”

“Okay,” Stu replied, taking the phone. “What would you like?”

“Let’s see. Bar-b-q spare rib tips, maybe some egg rolls, sweet and sour chicken, General Tso’s Chicken, fried rice, some steamed vegetables, and noodles.”

Stu nodded and placed the order. “It’ll be here in about thirty minutes.” He set down the phone and stood up, stretching. “I’m gonna go change.” He smiled and kissed Cecilia and headed to the bedroom to change.

She smiled. She finished folding up the clothes.

Stu returned into the kitchen wearing shorts and a t-shirt as he placed his cell phone and wallet into his pockets. He took a seat on the couch and relaxed. “Any plans for tomorrow,” he asked.

“Not sure. Depends on the weather I guess. If it’s not raining, I might go to the Museum and I might go see some other sights.”

Stu nodded. “It should be letting up.” He changed to channel to the weather channel, showing the five day forecast. The rest of the week would be partly cloudy. “You should be just fine tomorrow. I’ll see about getting you a tour at the Miugonik. The public tour, anyway. When are you going back to Vulshain?”

“Probably sometime next week.”
“Or the week after. I can stay for a tad bit longer.”

Stu stood up as the doorbell rang and pulled out his wallet as he made his way to the door. He paid for the food and tipped the driver. He walked back into the kitchen with the bags. “Dinner’s here. Want a bowl to pile everything into,” he asked, pulling out one for himself.

“Maybe a plate,” she said. “I guess soda would be alright to drink.”

Stu got a plate for Cecilia and two glasses. He got a bottle of soda from the fridge and began pouring it into the two glasses. “Help yourself, plenty of food.” He smiled.

She got a good bit of the food. “So, tell me what happened at work?”

“Nothing special. A few meetings, a briefing on Rygard - apparently the army’s made it to the capital, and the air force is bombing key targets day and night - and a demonstration of the battle armor,” Stu replied, serving himself some food and sat at the table with Cecilia.

“That’s good to hear. The Minister of Defense has been keeping me up to date on Rygard as well. Our military’s also made it to the capital city as well. The Goliaths and Heimdals are proving quite effective. Our siege tank divisions have already broken through the defenses of New Amuron.”
“The only problem is getting Archibald Rivers. The Presidential Palace is built like a fortress and according to our intel, the place is designed to withstand a full-scale assault. Bullet-proof glass, reinforced steel, specially designed walls to withstand missiles. But, then again, it’s become his prison now.” She smiled.

Stu nodded as he began eating. “We’ll get him.”

She ate some food as well. “No doubt about it.”
“So, tell me about the meetings.”

“If I could, I would,” Stu said as he laughed a bit. “They were just on current issues, budgets, and a couple other things I can’t exactly tell you.”

“It’s alright,” she laughed. “I understand that in our relationship we have to keep some secrets because of our jobs.”

Stu smiled. “Especially if they pertain to national security.”

“That’s true.” She smiled back. “We should go and get our bridal registry done soon as well.”

“We can do that Saturday. Thankfully I’ve got weekends off like normal people.”

When Stu said that, she laughed.
“I sometimes forget that I’m not in Vulshain. Even Saturdays are busy for me. That is another reason I went on vacation.”

Stu smiled. “I know the feeling. You’ve got the day off, but you’ve still got work to do.”

“Well there’s that, but I sometimes have to do government work on the weekends as well.”

“Like what?”

“Oh…Meetings, conferences, luncheons, and mountains of paperwork.”
“The usual,” she said as she ate an eggroll.

Stu nodded as he continued eating. “Governments can’t sleep. Who knows what would happen if every government shut down.”

“Utter chaos comes to mind.” Cecilia decided to be honest. “I’ll be honest Stu. As Vulshainian Premier I can take as many vacation days as I want to, although it doesn’t look good if I don’t do some work.”

Stu nodded and grinned. “Well then, don’t take too many days off.”

“I won’t. But, if I don’t take a lot of days off, my brother has a fit. Not to mention it probably isn’t good for my health.”

“Too much stress isn’t good for you,” Stu said, finishing his plate and standing up, taking it over to the sink.

Cecilia was almost done. “That is true.”

Stu sat back down at the table.

“Still, I do enjoy being the Premier, even if it is stressful at times,” she added as she finished her meal.

Stu stood up and took her plate. “I’m sure it has its perks.”

“It does. I did get to take part in the Ceremony Honoring Youth T-ball Players. And I did get to pitch a baseball at a Major Leagues game. Not to mention, I get a pretty sweet paycheck.”

Stu laughed. “Yeah, that always helps.” He finished cleaning the dishes and put them in the dishwasher.

She drank some of her soda. “I’ve been meaning to ask you: where’s the nearest Opera House here?”

“A couple miles,” Stu replied as he sat on the couch.

“Ever been there?”

“Once or twice, with my parents. Pretty nice place.”