Changing Politics in the Oan Isles

(Hello everyone, I hope you’re well. It’s been a long time. My appearance and participation may be sporadic, but I hope to get back into the swing of RPing with this little story in which I will readjust some of the things happening in the Oan Isles. Please feel free to join in if you like)

Background and overview

Two parties dominated Oan national politics. In 2018, no party won a majority in the National Assembly. The two major parties agreed to elect Maui Uye-Ahua as a compromise candidate. They differed significantly on policies and were unable to continue cooperating in government. The leaders of both parties held senior positions in the government. They recommended to the Prime Minister that he resign and advise the Emperor to call new elections.

With a heavy heart, Mr Uye-Ahua announced to the nation in a widely publicized press conference that the Emperor agreed to dissolve the National Assembly and call for fresh elections. Analysts generally did not see the move as surprising. One commentator on the OBC 24-hour satellite television news channel suggested that the end of the compromise “would help to bring traction on key issues which are being stalled because of deadlock”.

With that, the OBC announced that it would be holding debates between the two candidates on foreign and domestic policy issues and give the public a chance to get clarity on areas of concern.

At the Oan Broadcasting Corporation Studios, Tokapa, Tokamotu, the Oan Isles, 12 June 2019, 19:00

One party leader, standing on the platform adjusted her spectacles and places her hands on the edges of the seat of the lectern, lifted her head and spoke into the podium, "People of the Oan Isles, venerable guests and my opposing speaker, I thank you for the opportunity to share with you my vision for our country. Working for all - that is the slogan of my campaign because I want to build a country that works for all people especially those who are most vulnerable.

"I want the tax code to be reformed to place less of a burden for the fiscus on the shoulders of young entrants into the working environment and working and middle class family. Wealthy families and big businesses should contribute more to the welfare and survival of our nation as they have benefited most from the prosperity we have enjoyed.

"I want corporations to take more responsibility for climate change and pollution not only for their operations in our nation but their operations in foreign nations as well. I want corporations to take more responsibility for the health and workplace conditions of workers not only from our country, but for those of their suppliers and partners in foreign countries in which the regulatory framework and worker protections are not as robust as those in our nation. I want.

"Violence begets more violence. The effects of the Auroran-Pacific War and other military engagements of the past 3 years have strained taxpayer money, deaths of many people and led to a more uncertain world. I want to thank those soldiers who sacrificed for the security of our nation and I believe that their effort was not in vain. However, it is politicians like the Honorable speaker to my left, who are planning to use our national resources for imperialist purposes rather than for the safeguarding of our national security interests. Furthermore, arms manufacturing companies have been allowed to operate with too much latitude. They must be brought to heal for how their weapons have impacted civilians and countries embroiled in war.

“Under my government, the Oan Isles will works for those who need to work for it most, the young, working class and middle class people and for the environment that provides all that we need. Vote for the Progressive Party to vote for a Government working for all”.

The audience applauded and the chairman gave Maui Uye-Ahua the chance to speak,

"Greater than ever! This Oan Isles will be Greater Than Ever! Good evening to all our guests, the chairman and the opposing speaker. Thank you for the opportunity to speak. When I am in government I will do more than speak.i will build a government that will make this great country greater than ever.

"The Auroran-Pacific War and Invasion of The Kōhatu Isles displayed the greatness and potential of our country’s political and military might. We need to focus on a foreign policy in which we exert more influence on foreign political leaders to democratize and stabilise their countries. Our nation is closely interlinked with the economies of other nations. We must capitalise on our relative position of strength and moral authority to ensure that the relationships and links we have work for our nation and that of other people.

"Rather than break down our military, as the Honourable speaker has suggested, we should build up the capacity of our military to respond quickly and decisively in the event of a threat to our national security or the security of our allies. We need to enable our generals to have the freedom to make decisions quickly and effectively. They know what war is like. We should place more faith in those people who gave us victory over tyrants and peace to our nation. We should not stifle the innovation of the arms sector to provide weapons that are more effective and humane. In one respect I will agree with Ms Uye, we should encourage our arms manufacturers to ensure that their weapons are for the good of all.

"In that vein, our big businesses have built our nation and provided employment to the working and middle class. They have given them the opportunity to raise their kids, acquire property and prepare for retirement. Ms Uye threatens to demolish the social compact between workers and employers, especially big business employers. I want to ensure that the strength of the wealthy families and big corporations, gives further strength to the very young entrants, middle class and working class families of whom the Honorable speaker allegedly places great concern. I believe that we need more big business in this land, not less.

“The Oan Isles is one of the greatest nations on our planet. We catapulted ourselves to prominence on the international stage because of the innovation and talent that big businesses enabled to flourish and a foreign policy that makes effective use of our military might. I want to further augment and empower these branches of our society to ensure that the noble middle and working class and young people of our nation are protected from war and unemployment. A vote for the Liberals is a vote for an Oan Isles that will be greater than ever!”

(OOC: Posts are backdated to give an RP explanation of where the Oan Isles has been all these months)

At the Palace of Putangitangi, Tokapa, Tokamotu, 29 June 2019, 14:00

Maui Uye-Ahua had been the Prime Minister, the head of government of the Oan Isles, since last year, when the old government resigned and a new one was elected. But he hadn’t actually exercised any meaningful power since the leadership changed earlier in January.

On the other side of the table, Kia Uye, the Minister of the Crown for Finance and the Treasurer of the Oan Isles was gunning for a senior position in the ruling coalition. As with Tīpene, her decisive victory gave her significant influence over her party’s policies. The two political parties had been in a fickle coalition which brought Maui to power. But when ministers from opposing sides secured powerful positions, they brought the extent of the weaknesses of the coalition, as well as his own government, into full view. From that point, he lost control of the government and the legislature was stuck and unable to pass anything significant.

The stark political differences between the two parties made it virtually impossible for them to agree on legislation or policy. This manifested in the Oan Isles’ dismal response to the tense political and security situation on continental Aurora. Maui was unable to unite the two parties on committing troops, or a stance. At best he was only able to commit to humanitarian aid and peacekeeping support, the only contribution the Oan Isles was able to make to the issues in Kostromastan (or some approximation thereof) and Kostoria-Obertonia. Other leaders lost respect for him and saw him as a lame duck. To at least maintain the semblance of dignity, the incumbent Minister of Foreign Affairs shouldered most of the work of meeting with leaders and hiding the Oan Isles paralysis from its allies. He had decided to advise the Emperor to dissolve the Council of the People and call for fresh elections

Today’s cabinet meeting was one of the last meetings before the elections. He wanted to use the opportunity to salvage his image and make some tangible strides toward responding to issues on mainland Aurora. Prior to the cabinet meeting, he held a press conference in the foyer of the Serene Palace of Putangitangi, where the Cabinet held its meetings to represent the fact the right to rule was derived from the Sovereign, the Emperor of Polynesia.

Journalist 1: Good afternoon Prime Minister, I am representing Oan News. Why has the government response been so weak since the Kostromastan and Kostoria-Obertonian emergencies?

Maui: The complexity and nuances of the situation have made us more careful in our approach. Our primary goal is to prevent another continent-wide war. So, we have been working with our partners on Aurora through quiet diplomacy and background work to help bring a speedy resolution to the issues facing those countries.

Journalist 2: Do you believe that the chancellor of Kostoria-Obertonia is legitimate or do you believe that the Southern Aurora Front is a group of terrorists?

Maui: The government has always been clear: acts of violence committed by combatants in armed conflict that undermine the rule of law, disrupt the lives of the people and threaten the stability of the region are unacceptable. The actors of the violence should be working toward peace and we are committed to supporting the countries in that process.

Journalist 3: Do you think that the government of the United Kingdom is using Faethalria and Vortheria to extend its imperialistic influence on Kostoria-Obertonia?

Maui: The government has always held that independent nations of Aurora are equal, in keeping with the conventions of the United Nations of the Auroran Continent that helped shape the vision of the Auroran people after a dreadful war in which some nations saw themselves as superior to others.

And the questions followed: does he think that the banning of the Nationalist Party in Kostoria-Obertonia is justified, does he feel that UNAC is failing to keep stability and peace, and so on and so on. His answers were always the same carefully scripted sanitized meaningless “non-answers”.

At the Liberal Party HQ, Tokapa, Tokamotu, The Oan Isles, 3 August 2019, 18:00

John Rakaupuru was Maui’s election manager and chief of staff. He was in Maui’s office at the Liberal Party HQ in Liberal House, looking at the results from pre-election polling. He folded his arms with the sleeves of his white shirt rolled up, revealing the intricate tattoos on his forearm.

Maui entered with a gentle knock and sat behind his desk.

Maui: How’s it going?

John: It’s hard to tell. So far, you and Kia are evenly matched. In some areas, you have the lead and in others, she’s ahead. But on average, you’re both on the same level.

Maui: Do you think she would be a good prime minister?

John: Excuse me, sir? I… I don’t know. She definitely has some attractive ideas and she’s a woman. Being nurturing is attractive to our female control groups, but her professional and political success has attracted our male control groups. So…

Maui: You’re avoiding the question. I didn’t ask whether you thought she would become Prime minister. I asked should she occupy that office would she be good?

John: I think she’d be decent. She has sound policies and a respectable character. But I don’t think that was the question you wanted to ask. May I speak freely sir?

Maui: Go ahead.

John: Did you want to know whether she would be a better prime minister than you (Maui looks away)?

Maui: Perhaps I do. But I don’t think it matters. Forgive my foolishness, John. May I ask, why did you keep your Staynish name, John, and not change to Ihone?

John: My mother was from the Morstaybishlian West Pacific Islands. She’s Staynish, she gave me the name, so I kept it.

Maui: Do you consider yourself Oan or Morstaybishlian?

John: That’s a really difficult question for me. By ethnicity, I guess I’m part Oan, from my dad’s side. I am a citizen here after moving a few years ago. So in all technical aspects, I am Oan, but I am still a Morst citizen as well. Being Oan is a little different from being Morst. When you’re Oan, the way you dress, speak, what you eat, what you believe is so unique and different from other parts of the world. It’s like being part of a small club, but it can be hard to fit in if you weren’t raised in it.

Maui: Don’t the Morst Oans follow the traditions that we do?

John: To an extent. Unlike the Oan Isles, we don’t wear traditional skirts all the time. We wear these Auroran clothes and we just don’t share the same lifestyle. Being a Morst is easy enough. Many other Auroran countries and even non-Auroran countries like South Hills and FPS and so on share the same sort of vibe. It’s easy to blend in. It is hard sometimes though. When I went to a white school, people made fun of my accent and my tattoos and it bothered me. So I guess I didn’t really feel at “home” in either setting. Why do ask anyway? You’ve always known this?

Maui: What do you mean?

John: You’ve always known that I am the odd one out, the black sheep among your staff, colleagues and friends. And I always wondered whether maybe that’s why I am useful to you.

Maui: Very discerning.

John: I’ve always found it interesting how much you like the United Kingdom. You’ve supported and even advocated for stronger relationships with them and…

Maui: Because I’ve ingratiated myself on them? I know that’s what you’re thinking. Yes. I’ve always believed that Morstaybishlia should have a more prominent role and become the single driving force in Aurora.

John: Because they have the Keys to the Kingdom?

Maui: Yes John. You’re quite perceptive. Morstaybishlia offers not only a market for our goods and resources for our foundries but they offer the political and military backing that amplifies whatever bullshit we bark at our opponents. Despite all the things I said in my speech, the Oan Isles is really a small country. I think Tivot’s economy is bigger than ours. We are tiny and vulnerable. It is the presence of Morstaybishlia that makes things happen. That’s the unfortunate truth.

John: Don’t you think that this presents a danger to our foreign policy? Morstaybishlia is already supporting Faethalria and Vortheria. Don’t we lose the moral high ground or the room to negotiate when we align ourselves too closely to them?

Maui: We lost the moral high ground during the Second Auroran Imperial War. Nations like Emberwood remained relatively quiet during the war. But during the security council meeting, it occurred to me that the Oan Isles’ strategic interests and unique circumstances do not afford us the luxury of moral high ground. As for room to negotiate, the sheer size of Morstaybishlia is a vulnerability. There are many actors and interests and views. It’s easy to find an audience and convincing support to have some influence in the hallowed halls of Sani Bursil where the most powerful men and women in this part of the world draw and redraw borders with child-like brevity.

John: I suppose…

Maui: Let me tell you why I didn’t ask why Kia would be better than me. Because I know that she isn’t. You’re right, she would be a good Prime Minister, but not better than me. Because of one simple fact: she lacks the clarity of vision and the grit to make tough decisions and move this country in the direction of her will, even if she would have to drag the whole thing kicking and screaming.

They sat in silence for some time.

Maui: You know what John?

John: What, sir?

Maui: You think I see you as a mutt who I keep around because of your usefulness in bridging the gap between my future government and the Morstaybishlian crown. You are Oan where it matters. You have sound beliefs and a sense of duty and purpose that rises above all the quaint differences in clothes, cuisine, movie references that seemingly make Oans so, well, Oan. That’s the Oan part of you that is anchored deep in your veins, that will never cease. You are an Oan through and through, and you should have no doubt about my respect for you.

John was taken aback for a second. No one had spoken to him that way before. He looked at Maui who had placed both hands on his shoulders and was looking him dead in the eyes with a warm smile. Maui drew his hand and shook in firmly, placing his forehead on John’s in the traditional Oan greeting that shows kinship and respect.

Maui: Let’s get back to work.

At the Liberal HQ, Liberal House, Tokapa, Tokamotu, 5 August 2019, 18:20

The last results from the pre-election polling had come in and John and his team had completed their summary report analysing the data and presented it to Maui. Maui was going to use the insights from that data to refine the campaign strategy.

He was there before everyone, looking through the window, sipping a cup of coffee. The team entered, greeting their boss warmly as they took their seats. When everyone arrived, he turned around and address them.

Maui: Good evening team. Thank you for joining us today. The last of the pre-election results came in today. John and his team prepared the report. I had some time to go through it and I will be briefing all of you on where I want this campaign to go.

John marvelled at Maui. His approach to leadership was different from the other politicians that he had worked with before. Most of them would allow the chief of staff to deliver the report and brainstorm ideas with their campaign team. Maui, instead, read through the material and came well-armed with ideas and propositions. He was always the first to arrive and did most of the speaking. He would answer questions with clarity and depth of understanding. He instilled trust in his team that he was a capable and intelligent leader.

He continued.

Maui: We need to simplify the message and focus our ideas on the stuff that matters most to our constituents. During the debates, the biggest goal we had was to provide clarity on our policy platform and thought process, but now we aren’t speaking to people’s intelligence. We need to speak to their emotions, being as concise and consistent as possible. There are three major things I want us to focus on. Number one: a stronger army is a safer country. Number two: closer to the UK and KC, closer to peace. Number three: big business is big employment for all. John can explain the rationale for this decision-making. John, take the floor.

John: Based on the report, we found that the middle-class and male working-class voters were strongly attracted to these ideas. They generally believed that the Second Auroran Imperial War, despite the cost in life, raised our nation’s prestige and increased national pride after the terrorists bombed the headquarters of the National Security Service.  The people also felt that that the United Kingdom and the Kuthernburg Commonwealth were excellent political and trade partners and that we should continue our relationship with them. Thirdly, we were surprised by their support for big businesses. Our people took pride in how the major companies in our country were spreading our country’s brand and opening up work opportunities in other countries. They were strongly influenced by the job security that big businesses offered. It is a tricky area though because big businesses tend to be associated with inequality, corporate greed and environmental degradation.

Maui: Thank you, John. Any questions…? Okay good. Thanks, everyone! Go out there and kick ass. We’re bringing this one home.

At the Independent Electoral Commission HQ, Election House, Tokapa, Tokamotu, 15 August 2019

Polling started at 6 o’ clock in the morning. Schools, churches, temples and other public offices opened their doors to the public to cast their vote for the party that they wanted to take over the government. The votes cast by prominent leaders were broadcast on television, but it was the vote of the faceless majority that counted most.

Analysts had been watching the votes and providing their predictions of the direction in which the vote would swing. Political party representatives occupied rooms in Election House, watching the votes closely and ensuring that the balloting counting process was free of irregularities. Election day brought a nervous energy to the country. The Oan electorate was mostly comprised of swing voters. They were hard to convince and outnumbered the bases from which the main political parties found their core support.

In this election, it seemed that the Liberals and Progressives were evenly matched. But at 00:00, when all the votes were tallied, the parties and the people waited nervously and excitedly for the results. The Head of the IEC announced the results on live television, starting from the smallest, and largely insignificant parties.

“In second place, with 46% of the votes… The Progressive Party…”

Before he could even officially declare the Liberal Party as the winner celebrations in at Liberal House and at the IEC HQ by Liberal party members erupted. Joyful jumping, yelling and chanting and crying and laughing. With 52% of the vote, the Liberal Party was able to form a government without coalition partners and Tipene’s seat as the Prime Minister was secured.

At the Whare Whakamīharo o te Iwi, Tokapa, Tokamotu, The Oan Isles, 17 August 2019

The newly elected members of the National Assembly, some of them were political veterans and others were newcomers, were sworn in at the Palace of the Nation (the Whare Whakamīharo o te Iwi). They lined up in rows of 5 and swore allegiance to the nation and the Crown. In the same session, they elected the Speaker of the National Assembly, the Deputy Leader of the Liberal Party, Wiremu Whetuwhero, who assumed his seat at the dais to the sound of rhapsodic applause. Among them, Maui joined them in wishing the new presiding officer, and the general membership of the National Assembly, well. As the Leader of His Serene Majesty’s Government, Maui shook hands with the Leader of His Serene Majesty’s Most Loyal Opposition, the head of the Progressive Party and now former Minister for the National Treasury, Kia Uye in a warm-spirited gesture of humility and graciousness.

At the Wharenui Harahei, Tokapa, Tokamotu, 17 August 2019

Maui and his team celebrated the success of their campaign. They popped a bottle of wine in exuberant glee, dancing and chanting songs of victory. In the midst of the celebrations, the Serene Herald arrived and, in a loud voice, proclaimed the arrival of the Serene Chamberlain, the head of the Serene Household.

Everyone stood up and bowed, and males took off their hats in signs of respect, for the Oan people believed that the Serene Chamberlain came in the name and with the authority of the Crown itself. He did not congratulate the Prime Minister but simply informed him that His Serene Majesty requested his presence at the Whare Whakamīharo Rangamarie o Putangitangi.

At the Whare Whakamīharo Rangamarie o Putangitangi, Tokapa, Tokamotu, 18 August 2019

The campaign team, through John, and the Serene Household through the Serene Chamberlain, arranged for a time for the Maui to come to the Serene Palace of Putangitangi (Whare Whakamīharo Rangamarie o Putangitangi). Maui was transported by an escort, comprised of three black Royal Redrugus SUVs mounted with the Serene Standard (the official flag of the Emperor of Polynesia) on the bonnet.

They arrived at the Palace to the cheers of a flag-waving crowd. Maui and his entourage entered the Palace welcomed by the Chamberlain.

They walked into the central courtyard filled with leafy green plants and colourful flowers, surrounded by tall wooden ornately carved columns. They walked up the horseshoe staircase in the main building and entered a large sitting room that immediately faced the landing of the staircase.

The room had a red carpet and white ceiling and ornately carved cornice. The walls were made from wood and had a fresco depicting mythical stories. At the far end, there were chairs made from red suede and the same chocolate coloured wood as the walls. They were asked to sit, with a large chair at the end of the room on a slightly raised platform being the Monarch’s chair.

They sat quietly, hiding their excitement. Soon, the Serene Chamberlain announced that the Emperor had arrived. They stood up, males taking off their hats. The Emperor entered dressed in a brown and black traditional embroidered skirt and elaborately printed wide belt that covered his abdomen. His hair was tied in a bun at the top of his head with a narwhal ivory comb going through it. Males gave a low bow and the females curtsied.

The Emperor spoke, “Thank you all for coming and welcome to our home. As it is incumbent on our Serene person to exercise the prerogative of the Crown to appoint Ministers of the Crown, we have summoned the Honourable Reha to invite him, as our Prime Minister, to advise the Crown informing the government and in the exercising royal prerogative. We ask of him if he accepts this invitation?”

Maui bowed low and said, “I am honoured that His Serene Majesty has chosen me. I accept your invitation and vow to be a humble and loyal servant to the Crown”.

The Emperor replied, “We are glad and accept your service to the Crown and wish you the best in that endeavour”. He extended his hand, and Maui genuflected and kissed it. This ceremony was inherited from Staynish culture. The Emperor summoned the Serene Chamberlain to give him the key to the Whare Makau Puru, the official residence and workplace of the Prime Minister. He handed Maui the key. He sat at his chair. The Serene Chamberlain placed a small portable podium before the Emperor so he could sign and seal the letters patent that officially recognised Maui as the Prime Minister, with all the power and emoluments invested in that office. The Emperor then asked the Prime Minister to communicate with him at a later date when he would be ready to advise the Crown on a government.

This officially appointed him as the Prime Minister. They left the company of the Emperor, who, in celebration of the auspicious occasion, invited Maui and his people to a dinner organised by the Serene Household at the palace later that evening. Maui graciously accepted and departed the palace.

The Chamberlain quickly released a statement acknowledging that His Serene Majesty had officially appointed Maui as the Prime Minister. Maui and his entourage travelled to the Blue Macaw House (Whare Makau Puru) and addressed journalists and exuberant crowds gathered outside on his basic vision for the country and his gracious and humble acceptance of the Emperor’s invitation to form and lead the government.

RETCON
At the Serene Palace of Putangitangi, Tokapa, Tokamotu, the Oan Isles, 18 October 2019

Tīpene was the new Prime Minister of the Oan Isles. He held a meeting with outgoing Prime Minister, Maui Uye-Ahua, in which they broadly discussed some of the issues which needed to be resolved and formalities which needed to be undertaken to formally transfer leadership and command from the Uye-Ahua Premiership to the Rahua Premiership.

Tīpene announced the cabinet the following day at a Press Briefing at the Palace. He mostly retained the same cabinet as before. Arana Marama, a rising star in Oan and broader Auroran politics, who succeeded Locklyn Le Roy,  remained as the Minister of the Crown for Foreign Affairs. She would spearhead the country’s effort to establish the Auroran Monetary Fund. Tīpene wanted to push for a new form of Auroran politics through which international supply chains and finance formed the bedrock of piece and stability on the continent.

Sent from my CRO-L02 using Tapatalk

Office of the Prime Minister, Palace of the Blue Macaw, Tokapa, Tokamotu, The Oan Isles

The heavy wooden door to the Prime Minister’s Office was slightly ajar. Arana Marama knocked on the door and clasped the golden handle to open it when she heard Maui’s footsteps as he approached to open it for her. He grabbed her shoulders and pressed his forehead against hers in a polite and friendly greeting. He invited her to take a seat at the leather-upholstered couch that flanked a dark heavy wooden coffee table. The Prime Minister’s maid, poured tea for Arana and coffee for Maui in white porcelain cups and set a plate of biscuits before them. The maid bowed slightly as she walked out, closing the door behind her.

“Arana”, Maui said, “I read the article you published on the Oan News website”.

“I see”, she replied.

“That’s the reason for our meeting today”, he said, “I respect and value you as part of this Cabinet. You’ve demonstrated calm and dignified leadership and your reputation as a peacemaker and problem solver precedes you. It is for that reason, that I advised His Serene Majesty to appoint you, so that you may carry on the work you began under my predecessor”.

She replied, “Thank you, sir”.

He continued, “While I understand that it is important to let you run the affairs of your department as best as you see fit, I am wary that the position you are articulating veers markedly from the policy direction of this government”.

She replied, “I see”.

“Yes madam Minister”, he said, “As a government we need to speak with one voice, to deliberate, consult and agree on the things we say in public. The public and our allies cannot see the Oan cabinet to be in disarray or division. While there are some inciteful arguments in your piece, you should have consulted with the rest of the government first”.

Arana looked at him and replied, saying, “I am aware of that. It is sensible that the government should speak as one voice, despite our differences in opinion and belief. However, with all due respect, sir, a government that is legitimate and transparent, must self-introspect, self-admonish and self-correct if it is to gain the respect of its public and address the issues that marr its performance”.

Maui replied, “The issue at hand, Madam Minister, is not the inward-looking and outward correction of our government’s behaviour that is the problem, it is the issue of a single government minister, a Minister of the Crown, expressing views without consulting the cabinet or at least its leader, the Prime Minister”.

Arana replied, “With all due respect, Mister Prime Minister, it is apparent from this meeting that my message to the people of the Oan Isles and to the world was more necessary than I had anticipated, and moreover to do so independently of the influence of the cabinet. Sir, it is apparent that the government of the Oan Isles and the broader diplomatic community struggle to come to terms with our role in the Auroran-Pacific War and with the manner in which it has influenced foreign policy ever since”.

Maui replied, “I doubt that Madam Minister”.

Arana looked at Maui wide eyes and continued, “Forgive me Mister Prime Minister, but I cannot agree with you. If indeed it was easy to find, admit and correct fault, then why has there been no substantial push from the government to undertake that task until now? It is because it is neither convenient nor at the top of the priorities of the government. I know that it is uncomfortable and dispiriting to hear or in this case read the critique and explanations I posited in that paper, but it was necessary. I understand that not only does this impact you as the Prime Minister and the image of the government as a whole, but it impacts on you personally because you oversaw our diplomatic relations with Aurora and contributed to the war effort. But these exercises gives an opportunity for catharsis within and outside the government. This sharing of views and experiences will build not bring us down. Prime Minister, have faith in my intentions, my discernment and my abilities”.

“Madam Minister, how can I have faith in you if you do not share how you feel with us before you share it with them?” He asked.

“I will accept that my conduct was outside the remit of a Cabinet minister in a collectivist responsible government”, she accepted, “But I hope and trust that you will see the value of this exercise. We need to rebuild trust with the Aurorans and we need to do so by admitting our mistake and reorienting our foreign policy to look at emerging nations and former Axis powers as equals and partners in the broader international project of peace and security”.

Maui replied, “I fully understand that and I accept your apology. Building trust with Aurora will be more crucial now more than ever. Madam Minister, the truth is that I was worried that you might have changed your mind about the plan, the plan with have for the Morstaybishlian West Pacific Islands”.

Arana quickly replied,” No minister, I have not forgotten. I fully support that cause and it is in the name of that cause I am taking the decisions that I am. To legitimize our undertaking in that regard, we must be in the favour of the Auroran community”.

Maui replied, “I understand and I will fully support you, Madam Minister”.