Changing the figurehead

Executive Building, Tretridia, January 2 2017 CE
Domestic Minister James Stevenson was staring at his desk; there was a piece of paper on it. He knew what had to happen on February. He had been elected Prime Minister, to be inaugurated on February 8. He had convinced the current Prime Minister, Adam Wilson, to return from Aura, Emberwood Coast to Tretridia. After all, he could spend only so much time as temporary head of state while he was away. And he needed to make his cabinet picks…

The Defense Minister, Kyle Johnson, walked in. It was a well known fact that he hinted at trying to keep his office for the year to come. “Well?” Stevenson sighed. “Yes, you will keep your office, as long as the Assembly approves.” Johnson replied, “Good.” He left, leaving Stevenson to his stress. He wasn’t sure who would become Foreign Minister, be it Foreign Minister Smith or somebody else. This would be a long month…

Prime Minister Adam Wilson was sitting in his desk. It was his duty to sit there, though it was somewhat boring, as it was not nearly as chaotic as the Council. There was a knock on the door. He said, “Come in.”
Domestic Minister James Stevenson walked in. Before he could say a word, Wilson said, “If you’re considering me for a cabinet position, consider me out. I’m going to stay out of politics for a while, and then I may run for the Council.”
Stevenson was quite surprised by the information. They then had to get to business. Preparing their speeches, discussing the annexation of a neighboring country, and more. 34 days left.

“Welp, a week left. Where did all that time go?”
Stevenson was flustered, and trying to arrange things with Prime Minister Wilson. Wilson said, "Well, I’ll invite other nations’ leaders to attend. We’ll see how that goes.

After Stevenson left, Wilson wrote the following:

To: Leaders of all countries
Salutations,
I formally invite you to the inauguration of Prime Minister-Elect James Stevenson, as well as my farewell address. This ceremony only come up once a year, so if you miss it this year, you’ll have to wait another year.
Please arrive at Tretridia by February 8, 2017.
Thank you,
Adam Wilson
Prime Minister
The Second Republic of Tretrid

Ese Ulua needed some time away from tue politics of the Oan Isles. He received an invitation from Adam Wilson to attend the inauguration of his successor. He quietly slipped away on a private jet and left a note on the fridge.

King Calvin the I received the letter. He and his court would attend. He didn’t really like James Stevenson that much, but he would do it out of respect.

— Begin quote from ____

King Calvin the I received the letter. He and his court would attend. He didn’t really like James Stevenson that much, but he would do it out of respect.

— End quote

Ouch.
[hr]
Everytime he got into the air, he got this aweful feeling in his body. It was in his legs, in his arms, in his mind and in his heart. Ese Ulua was far more comfortable buoyed by the sea. It carried him. The air was deceptive it had to be triumphed over.

Ese Ulua’s trusted security adviser, who went with him everywhere, and was only known as Agent Black 1, was very annoyed with this old man. First he left his country in the middle of a virtual crisis. Second, he leaves a note on the fridge. You didn’t need to be a lawyer to know that there were formalities and procedures to this sort of thing. It posed an immense security risk. If the man so much as lost a hair, the Intelligence Bureau would fall on him like a tonne of bricks. He knew something that all young Oans were forced to know, “The old can do whatever they want”.

Ese knew that he was frustrating the poor man. He said, " Why don’t we go to Tomorrow Island near Quartz Fern Forest. There is a tiki bar I wanted to visit".

Agent Black 1 looked at him in horror. The Defender’s personal assistant had jumped off the plane and vanished and has yet to be seen again (to be honest they hadn’t gotten to looking for him. No one asked so it didn’t seem like it was worth it. He was just a PA). He was scared that this man would try that. He had cut his visit to a small country that was absorbed by South Hills, short.

What would make this different? Nothing other than that he might not have a country to go back to.

Mister Leader II fell into his seat, and immediately began to sort through the telegram that covered his desk. An invitation, it seemed. And with Tretrid. Could things get any better than this?
Leader wired multiple messages to his fellows, and proceeded to accept the offer. Tretrid, although a little chillier than Mexregiona, was a gorgeous nation with gorgeous people. Then again, Leader doubted that they’d have nature pathways built into the busting city of Tretridia.
He’d be there by the deadline, and he would love to see his new ‘coworker’ be inaugurated, whether for better or for worse.

One day left.
Stevenson sighed, and started composing his speech.

The royal court boarded their airplanes and flew to Tretridia. Maya Jaxacyl didn’t, because she was attending the ceremony in Tano.

They had heard speculations of what James Stevenson would be like. After the election, Tretrid became more and more hostile to its neighbor to the north (and Haaviland). They suspected that Stevenson would be a radical.

OOC: There wasn’t a nation to be hostile against. Haaviland CTE’d. And how would a radical make it into Wilson’s cabinet? It certainly wouldn’t forward his goals of solidifying the nation after the Second Republic was formed.

Tretridia, 1:00 PM, Feburary 8, 2017
This was it. The big day. Matthew Irvine was at the lectern, giving his introductory speech. “We are to witness the transition of this nation’s leadership from one person to another. The transition of the legislature. And now, I hand the microphone to Prime Minister Adam Wilson, to give his farewell speech.” Irvine walked back from the podium, thinking how stressful heading the First Republic was. He wasn’t planning to lead a nation again anytime soon.

Wilson walked up. “Tretridians, we have gone through a term, and now this nation is in transition to my successor. I’m very proud of the support all of you gave me, as I sought forth to rebuild this nation from the ruins of the First Republic. We have increased rights and freedoms. We have strengthened the ecomony. I am proud of this chance all of you gave me.”
He went on and on. When he finished, he said, “I bid farewell to the office of Prime Minister, and thank you. I now give the stage to Prime Minister-Elect James Stevenson.”

The Domestic Minister/Prime Minister-Elect walked to the microphone as Wilson turned and headed back. “My fellow Tretridians, I cannot thank you enough for electing me. I will continue to further Wilson’s agenda, with some tweaks.”
He proceeded to explain the tweaks.
“I plan to make Tretrid a good role model for other nations. I also hope to gain further influence in the South-East Pacific Coalition. We will extend the hand of diplomacy, to improve relations around the world.”
He spoke for a while. When he finished, he said, “This is an important part of Tretridian government. The transition of power from one to another. I once again thank you for electing me.”

Irvine stepped forwards to swear in Stevenson. Stevenson had been practicing in the mirror.
“I, James Stevenson, swear to uphold the values of Tretrid, to uphold the Constitution of the Second Republic, and to act for justice. I swear to command the military, in case military action is necessary. I swear to lead the cabinet and represent the Second Republic of Tretrid.”

Irvine stepped back as the applause started. After it died down (it took a while), the new Prime Minister said, “The foreign leaders that came here may comment.” Prime Minister Stevenson stepped back.

Mister Leader II jumped at the chance, and appeared almost instantaneously up on stage. He hadn’t prepared a script, but he wasn’t the kind of guy to do that, anyway. Not being ready was his signature move for just about everything.
“Greetings, Tretridians! As many of you know, I am the Leader of the United States of Mexregiona, and I’d just like to give out some remarks before the real celebration starts.” He cleared his throat, away from the microphone, and continued. “Of course, you are all gathered here today to witness the swearing in of your new Prime Minister, which, quite obviously, is a big deal. I think it is great that things are going so smoothly in the political process of your nation. A smooth election shows an educated populace in my eye. Anyway… I’m really rambling, aren’t I? Well, I’d love to wish the Second Republic good fortune and closer ties with the USM in the future. May Prime Minister Stevenson rule with a fair hand, if you will, and continue the amazing connection between our two states. Tretrid will always be the Big Friend to the North to us, and I never see that changing anytime soon.”
Light applause followed. Poor choice of words, perhaps, but straightforward nonetheless. Just how Leader likes it.

King Calvin the I stepped forward to the podium and sighed.

“Salutations, Tretridians.” he sighed. “Unfortunately, Maya Jaxacyl is attending a ceremony in Tano, and Stephen Markson is still in Emberwood Coast. But, as you’ve heard from the last two speakers, this marks a new era for Tretrid. I want to stress this part: Don’t mess it up. It was not easy when you collapsed into the anarchy and chaos of the First Republic. We may have not agreed in the previous administration, and I doubt we will continue to agree as much in this administration. But we are all strong when we are united, and we are united as two countries in Northwest Atlantia. Now you Tretridians voted Mr. Stevenson in. Good for you. I do hope that Mr. Stevenson will steer the country in the right direction in the next year.”

King Calvin the I stepped back, tasting the subtle bitterness on his words.

Prime Minister Stevenson stepped forwards. “Well, thatwas nice.” He let his sarcasm sink in. The crowds dispersed, and the cameras cut.
[hr]
To: Journalists around Urth
Hello,
I will be holding an international press conference on Sunday the 12th. You may ask questions about policy and relations with other nations.
Hope to see you there,
James Stevenson
Prime Minister
The Second Republic of Tretrid

To: Prime Minister James Stevenson
I have been selected by Mister Leader II himself to attend your press conference procession, and I, of course, accepted. I hope that these conversations will lead to a more educated populace and a wider view of your intentions and political viewpoints. See you there!
Sincerely,
Kai Roberts
Journalist, Author, Critic
The United Parishes of Mexregiona

Prime Minister Stevenson was sitting in his office, when Bartholomew Smith walked in. He had been confirmed by the Council without incident for another term as Foreign Minister. Stevenson swore in Smith. Kyle Johnson also was sworn in without incident.

After Smith walked out, Stevenson started to consider his choice for Domestic Minister.