Diary of Lso Yeskevi

The diary of Lso Yeskevi

My arrival into Vekaiyu was a tumultuous one, to put it lightly. After recognizing the severe shift in regime policies in Listiona, I realized the time was ripe for my departure. Whatever prospects for money and opportunity were there have now completely vanished.

I made my way across the Listonian border towards Provinsk. Felt that was probably the safest city to hide in at the time. I disguised myself as an out-of-work railway operator, which wasn’t hard to do since that’s where I spent the majority of my legal work in Listonia hashing out. I must’ve tripped someone up on the way because the next thing I knew I was approached by two Vekaiyun soldiers, where I immediately gave up. I didn’t need to run anymore - I was far enough in where they wouldn’t bargain with the Listonian soldiers over my life. They turned me in and moved me through their chain of superiors. Typical military stuff. Now I’m bound on a train for Eldura.

I don’t know what to make of the soldiers I passed up until now. Did they really not know what was going on in Listonia, or choose not to listen? No one had much of an idea about the famine in mid-2011, or the one predicted to be much worse during the winter of this year. They had no idea about the labor camps and just how isolated the nation has become. Can’t really blame them though. It’s happening so fast.

I should arrive in Eldura in about five hours, according to their schedules. What becomes of me there isn’t really clear, but they let me keep what was on my being, so I’m guessing it’s not going to be so bad. Probably general questionings. That’s my guess.

But don’t fret, old friend. Maybe soon I’ll be dead, and you’ll fetch millions when they find you in some poor sap’s attic. That’s the goal of these things, right? So public culture can identify them as icons and glorify them further? Well, here’s something for them: I like a good strip club now and then, and if Listonian soldiers don’t kill me, the venereal diseases I probably picked up on the way will do me in. Now try to edit that out in some abridged version!

I wish this government operated faster. I was told I was wanted in Eldura for questioning, but upon arrival I was told it’d be until tomorrow, or the next day after that. Worries me a bit. Must mean there’s a lot of stuff going on or something.

Anyway, I spent the day getting acclimated. I used the money I carried over from Evesunigrad and transferred it to Vekaiyun veskonos, then was told to stay at some hotel on the upper east side of the city. Not a bad place, but later on I figured out the building was used to hold people wanted for questioning from outside of the province, so it was of course meddled with by the military. I don’t know if that’s a good or a bad thing, especially because it seems to me at least Vekaiyu doesn’t know what to do with me. So I carry on precariously.

But not too precariously. Luckily for me it was a windy day in the capital so I had an excuse to wear a lot of clothes. I stopped by a local restaurant, enjoyed some kikale, then walked around the block. Eldura’s not changed too much since I last visited the city, but it definitely has more of an ‘open’ atmosphere. Less governmental control from what I remember, but I don’t know if that’s necessarily a good thing. Without that authoritarian government, the nation seems to focus less on the ‘whole’ and more on the ‘individual’, which I honestly didn’t expect. If I’ve been calling for a Listonian acceptance of being absorbed by the stronger and more organized state, I wonder what other changes are in store for Vekaiyu.

I met with the Premier today, at Veruvi Hall. It was a very interesting meeting, to say the least. She wouldn’t discuss much of the goings-on between Listonia and Vekaiyu, but was actually more interested in what I had to say. Why I was a Vekaiyist. Why I had to flee the country. What Listonia was like at the time I left. That sort of business. I guess I finally understand just how distant the two states have truly become. How odd - one year ago they were arguably the best of friends and seeking talks of unification. Now they couldn’t be farther from any hope of compromise. What happened?

I don’t think it’s one nation’s fault. Vekaiyu is being Vekaiyu. That was even apparent at my meeting this morning - Vekaiyu always wants to feel the most important, the most sophisticated, and the most organized. They’re very particular about their appearance. It’s only natural for them to unite under a common cause: restoring their old borders and achieving a full-fledged Vekaiyun state. Sure they can perfume it up with logic - Listonia would do better if it were a part of Vekaiyu in aspects of military, economy, and now freedom. Vekaiyuns are brash, proud people. They can easily get behind a cause. But Listonians are better at it. They’ve had five hundred years of practice, and they’re not about to lay down and die. Only problem is, they don’t know what they’re uniting under. They see “Listonian” and flock to it, because that’s all they really know. Compulsory military service, all-pervasive police forces, concentration camps, mass-famines, they don’t know any better. Instead they cling to someone who gave them freedom in the first place, only to have him free himself, then enslave the people. And that’s what the main difference between these two nations is. One fights for tradition, the other fights for survival.

Anyway she didn’t quite see it as artistically as that. Instead she expressed anger at what’s been going on in Listonia, not only for the Vekaiyuns there, but even the non-vulpine population, which is… a change of pace as far as Vekaiyun leaders go. Seems they’re learning. She asked me to write a book, outlining the brief history of Listonia, the current atrocities of the Evesuni government, and the necessary union of Vekaiyu with Listonia. I agreed. Didn’t really know if I had a choice, but I liked the idea, especially when she wanted the book airlifted across Listonia in Unonian, English, and Durric. It gave me hope that maybe this matter would be resolved in non-violent ways, but I don’t know how viable of an option that is at this point.

As you may or may not know, I’m more or less using you as a place to put some of my drafts down as I prepare to write my treatise on a unified Vekaiyun and Listonian state. Levinile wants to have it done soon. Again she does not tell me why. Nevertheless, they treat me well, and it is good to be among allies.

— Begin quote from ____

Moment of History

We’ve all heard the stories of the ancient union of Kelsaria, of the betrayal of Renuli V and the disposal of the first Vekaiyun state to present-day Dveria, the restoration of the Vekaiyun state and the subsequent division later due to the illegal partitions of the state perpetrated by Dveria, Sevropia, and Rykkovaa, and the various little tales and short stories of triumphs and treacheries that sprouted from the region like the infinite blades of wheat that now dot the plains of both regions. Stories and tales of atrocities against the Listonian and Vekaiyun people are as plentiful as the fullest harvest of oats across the endless plains of the once-Vekaiyun homeworld. How conveniently the rest of the world forgets the details of such stories. How carelessly we, as Listonians, forget who we are in this world that has for centuries tried to conform us to an identity we refused by all accounts.

Clearly, they underestimate the true identity of Listonians, the “Eastern Vekaiyuns” (henceforth they shall be recognized as “Eastern Vekaiyuns”, as Listonian is in reference to ancient Listura, in opposition to the fallen state of Kelsaria). But our identity has been compromised. The governments of Lazlowia, Dveria, and countless other nations, refuse to recognize the millions upon millions of innocent lives lost during countless uprisings and struggles for independence in the five hundred years of bitter struggle and toil, choosing instead to focus on their own shortcomings and political agendas. Not even Vekaiyu’s hands are clean in this matter. While they remain the only nation that has actively sought being absolved of their impious deeds, we cannot exclude their inaction. Indeed, all nations are guilty of the sin of inaction - turning a blind eye while millions suffered. Listonians - the Eastern Vekaiyuns, the Listurans of old - were tortured for nearly five hundred years. And not a single thing was done about it.

Brutes like Stapen Evesuni have tried to separate us from our identity. They have led us to believe we are a unique set of people, unlike any other. They have set in motion their own methods of torture: starving the land of its own people by forcing them into military roles or in prison camps. All for want of avoiding the final destiny of Listonia: incorporated into Vekaiyu, where we all belong. Their deeds will be much like the song of the grain farmer under the light of a harvest moon: lonesome, and quickly dispersed into the wind where the dulcet tones are washed away with increasing distance.

They are right in the sense that Eastern Vekaiyuns have had different experiences than Western Vekaiyuns. But they fail to realize this is true for any province within Vekaiyu or Listonia. Vekaiyuns from Provinsk have a much bloodier history than those from Ves. Vekaiyuns from The Levinasi have a much different history than those from Lekinape, for instance. Yet they all remain one nation. Even Kunnat could not ignore this, and was finally incorporated into Vekaiyu in 2009. They realized that to be Vekaiyun is to stretch beyond the recent history, beyond the experiences and borders drawn up by nations that have tried to keep us separated for centuries. Vekaiyu has historically been a chaotic nation. Provinces have threatened to break-off and have broken off completely throughout its existence. This is nothing new. But each time an event such as this happened, the fallen province has been incorporated into the Vekaiyun fold once again, and not always by force, either. The fallen province realizes it is not as strong by itself as it is when it is with the whole. Vekaiyu can be likened to a spoked wheel on great cart: if each province a spoke, the cartwheel becomes stronger with every spoke. A departed spoke damages the cartwheel. A departed spoke cannot roll. While it may still be strong, it cannot fulfill all the duties it was intended to fulfill. And as long as there are thieves and robbers along the path, they will enjoy removing as many spokes as they please, and resist the restoration of any spokes that will inevitably make the wheel stronger.

How they want us to remain divided! Divided by their borders, borders drawn up by Dveria and Sevropia when they stole land from Vekaiyu half a millennium ago. Indeed, the Listonian-Vekaiyun border was not drawn up by either nation, but was rather devised by the three robbers of East Vekaiyu. Are we to honor their efforts? By no means! I refuse to give credence to such an atrocity. Despite our differences in history, I believe we are still one people, one group that is completely correct in calling itself Vekaiyun. To think otherwise is to believe the lies of those who treat the East Vekaiyun like cannon fodder: be it leader or group of people.

But what defines “Vekaiyun”? It is not borders: Vekaiyuns who travel outside of their country can identify themselves as Vekaiyuns, of course. It isn’t race - humans identify themselves as Vekaiyun, too. It isn’t citizenship: while it may legally differentiate a Vekaiyun from a non-Vekaiyun, it does not truly define what a Vekaiyun is. If that were the case, Vekaiyuns in Kunnat would not be Vekaiyun until April 4th, 2009. But that was clearly not the case, nor was it the belief instilled within the people of Kunnat (even if their government was not totally aligned with the people they represented). I do not believe a border change should define a person - especially as a “Listonian”. We did not become “Listonian” on April 4th, 2009. The identity was already there. What, then, defines a Vekaiyun? It is culture; it is heritage and belief systems that align us.

As stated earlier, borders do not define a Vekaiyun. History, however, does shed light upon it. And “Listonia” is intertwined with Vekaiyun history. Ye’leli is among the oldest Vekaiyun cities that still retain its namesake. It is responsible for the construction of Listura, the state that was instrumental in bringing the powerhouse Kelsaria into ruin, forever shaping the culture of the inhabitants of ancient Vekaiyu. It witnessed the pilgrimages of St. Aiya, and was the seat of The Battle of All-Souls, which secured Vekaiyun independence in AD 585. The city became the unofficial eastern capital of Vekaiyu, while the region around it brought innovations to Vekaiyu, namely the all-important plow. The region captured the lore of the beloved Vekaiyun general Fevunik, and was the breadbasket that fueled the Vekaiyun people, and their army.

That’s all very well, but what about five hundred years ago? Political borders aside, East Vekaiyuns survived for five hundred years. They, like Vekaiyu, attempted to retain their identity through known culture and cultural ties. The church, Vayan Catholicism, identifies nearly 75% of “Listonia” being Vayan Catholic in a governmental census taken in 2009. Vayan Catholicism was outlawed under Dveria and had restrictions under Sevropia. The same could be said for the retention of the Unonian language, where nearly 80% of “Listonians” could speak the tongue. Thousands of both first and last names can be traced back to being solely Vekaiyun in origin. Many families proudly proclaim their roots to be Vekaiyun. A study published in 2010 by Or’Rede University stated that nearly 71% could be assumed without reasonable doubt to be Vekaiyun in ethnicity. A number of factors were reviewed, genetics included, to achieve said conclusion. While study was performed in Ye’leli and certain surrounding towns only, it remains as the only piece of statistics that are released. Ye’leli, formerly under Dverian control, where, as stated earlier, Vayan Catholicism was outlawed and certain key Vekaiyun cultural highlights were prohibited. If the capital of “Listonia”, the heart and soul of “Listonia”, is in the majority “Vekaiyun” surely the rest of the nation follows suit to at least some degree. So despite having the Vekaiyun culture oppressed, East Vekaiyuns have retained their identity. And they are more than ready to be united with their brothers and sisters to the west.

The time has come to ensure we, being East Vekaiyuns, are represented truthfully, as what we really are: Vekaiyun. We can no longer settle for borders drawn up by those who thieved Vekaiyun lands or who ignored the silent cries of millions of East Vekaiyuns when they were under the oppressive nightmares of Dveria and Sevropia. We can no longer be treated as fodder by other nations that refuse to recognize our struggles, and our own leadership, who has raptured us from one bleak fate only to hand us off into a potentially darker future. The time of separation is over. It is time for Vekaiyu to be united among the halves - the east and the west - to restore the nation of old and fulfill the final destiny of the Listonian state.

There can be no substitute. Listonia is Vekaiyun, and the time of realization is nigh.

— End quote

— Begin quote from ____

Caravanserai of Ignorance

I am “Listonian”. I am aware our culture, much like the culture the Western Vekaiyuns have established, enjoy using symbolism and metaphors to describe situations and events relevant to our own being. I cannot avoid such tendencies. I instead embrace them, as every Eastern Vekaiyun should.

Picture if you will a large desert, larger than the one in the Burdek Lowlands, that is sprawled out between two cities - one with a troubled past, the other without. The one without, of course, is without gates and turrets to protect itself from invaders. It was made in haste, created by those who have no intention to maintain its permanency. Rather, this city was created by a group of wanderers. These wanderers are not Vekaiyun; rather, they are a large group of warriors that come from far away to conquer many lands. They have established a large caravanserai behind them to carry all their supplies, tents, and weapons. They set out during dawn and planned to make it to the fortified city in good time.

This troupe is made up of a small group of leaders. One leader enjoys wrapping himself in fine robes and taking many drinks from his canteen. Another speaks volumes about the city they have left and are currently embarking, speaking down upon them and hurling rebuke after rebuke upon them. Yet another leader distances himself from the other leaders, using camels bought from other powerful rich men - not his own - to carry himself and his goods. They do not use the stars to guide themselves during the night. They do not wear light clothes to plan for the journey ahead. They do not care for the thought of speed or efficiency. Truly, they are ignorant to such things.

They eventually reach the fortified city, but are unable to mount a successful attack. The first leader is too tired to fight, and too exhausted from the desert sun to make any sort of plans. The second leader’s tongue was burned from the intense heat, and is unable to call out orders for attack. The final leader’s camels and horses all died, for he was unfamiliar with the beasts (who were already damaged goods to begin with) and his weapons and men are all lost to the desert sands behind him.

The three are taken into the gates, where they are all soundly executed by the judge of the city.

It’s not difficult to dissect this parable. The city where these leaders came from was Listonia. The first leader is Stapen Evesuni and his regime, the regime that has foolishly squandered all of Listonia’s resources and turned a hopeful nation to dust. The second leader is Lazlowia, a nation that has conveniently hurled insults at Listonia and Vekaiyu, but fails to see its own hypocrisy in their own handlings of Algasia. Truly any claims they make against Vekaiyu and East Vekaiyu are unfounded, as their occupation of the peaceful nation will become their own undoing. The third leader is Dveria, a nation that has already experienced problems by gaining technology from Warre, technology they do not quite understand or know how to use. It has and will continue to backfire on them, killing many of their people in the process.

The judge is Premier Levinile, who will remove the first leader, silence the second, and negate the third. She will do this under her terms, for these leaders come ever closer to Vekaiyu, threatening it with their jealousy and hatred. They are weakened with each step they take, be it from their own selfish squandering, their hypocrisy, or their unknowing.

This is not a threat; it is merely a shadow of an inevitability - a sign of things to come. The evil that has wrapped the state of Listonia in chaos will be shred by a more capable leader, one that will put to death the wickedness that surrounded the creation of the state, and put their impious dream of a divided Vekaiyu to death. This cannot be done by one person, however. Indeed we all are judges and we all are capable of deducing right from wrong. We as East Vekaiyuns have learned not to trust such things upon one person’s shoulders. Nay, we are too strong to allow such things. Now more than ever is the time for us to be the deciders of our own fate. It by this truth the Premier of Vekaiyu is only a catalyst; the real change must happen from within our people.

— End quote

“Honorable Lso Yiskevi. Please, sit down.”

Yiskevi bowed to his premier as he moved a seat forward and sat down. He tilted his head up and to the left as he looked her in the eyes. “You wished to speak to me, Premier Levinile?”

Ikrisia folded her hands in front of her and set them on her desk. She smiled slightly. “Naturally. I wanted to know the progress on your writings. Soon they will become very relevant.”

He nodded. “They’re nearing completion, milady. Give me twenty four hours and I’ll have them polished and ready for you to implement.”

She smiled warmly. “Excellent. And how effective do you feel they will be?”

“They can pierce the stoniest of hearts, and burn the unholiest of defenses to the ground. In short, it’s airtight, milady.”

Ikrisia smiled again. “I’ve been enamored with your speech, Lso. I was intrigued by your writings in Listonia, all those months ago. They gave me hope that there were those in Listonia who were willing to go against what has become an increasingly hostile regime. Unoninan can be beautiful when it comes from the pen of the righteous.” She smirked. “They called me personally once word of your arrival reached a sipavu commodore, announcing you gave up peacefully near Provinsk. When you first sat down in front of me, I knew I was looking into the eyes of the face of a new Listonia.”

She drew the blinds and leaned back in her chair. “Very soon Vekaiyu will be moving into Listonia. We… are not anticipating this to be a difficult trek, for reasons you really don’t need to know at this time. This will be a military conflict, but it will also be one of propaganda. You see, we cannot install one of our own men as leader of the new Listonian Vekaiyist Republic. Vekaiyu will not look pure doing this. Listonians, like any other group of people, do not like anyone coming in and running them over. So this will take some strategy. The plan is to lead groups of Vekaiyun infantry dressed as plainclothed Listonians who are fueled by your words to storm the capital and remove the entire government of old Listonia. They will kill who they must, and capture any survivors so they may be tried in Vekaiyu, where they will face a fair trial and most likely found guilty and killed for their heinous acts, but not before we are finished with them.”

Lso nodded to her words. “You want me to speak on behalf of the Listonians at the trial?”

“No. I want you to be the next leader of Listonia, installed under a Vekaiyun system, under a hand-picked Vekaiyun government.”

Lso furrowed his brow, speechless. “I don’t know what to say.”

“You will deliver a speech once they Vekaiyun infantry divisions have control of the old Listonian government, stating the war is over and the true Listonians, the Vekaiyuns, have won their freedom in the glorious fight for their land. You will order all Listonian divisions to lay down their arms. You will state the new Listonian government will free the people and destroy the oppressive Evesuni regime.”

“I… don’t think I can do that.”

Ikrisia arched an eyebrow. “Why?”

“Lead a nation? Me?”

“You have captivated the people of Listonia, Lso. Installing you as a leader would result in the highest amount of Listonians submitting to Vekaiyu and the least amount of deaths. You just need to believe in yourself the way your words make Listonians believe in themselves.”

Lso shook his head. “It’s a lot to take in.”

Ikrisia smiled. “It is, isn’t it? But I have confidence in you, Lso. You speak, and the people hang onto your words. You’re like… like a good version of Evesuni.”

“With all due respect, I am nothing like that man.”

“Exactly!” She raised her hands matter-of-factly. “Now listen, you may be ordered to condemn Vekaiyu for using force on Listonia in order to gain worldwide acclaim. Once Vekaiyu lays down its arms, we come to a resolution, and a Vekaiyist government is installed. Both sides recognize the new government. From there we will begin the long process of reincorporation.”

Lso sighed and brought a hand to the edge of his mouth in thought. “It is a good plan. What if the infantry divisions fail?”

“You do not need to worry about that.”

“I see. Do I need to be in Listonia to give that speech?”

“Naturally.” Ikrisia raised her eyebrows and scratched the side of her head. “You don’t trust the nation that you have praised time and time again?”

“Just… am I allowed to think about this?”

“Of course. You have 24 hours.”

“And should I choose no?”

Ikrisia scoffed. “This isn’t Listonia. You’re free to make whatever choice you wish.” She leaned forward. “But to be frank, I’m concerned at the amount of doubts you have, Lso. If you doubt something you supposedly love and trust so much, I can’t help to worry a little about the choice I have given you.” She paused. “Maybe it’s a good thing you’ll be thinking this over.”

Lso gazed into her eyes. “Very well.”

“I wish your people freedom, Lso. Listonia is a great concern of mine, in more ways that what I’m willing to discuss. Please weigh your options carefully. But until then.” She stood up and waited for him to rise as well. When he did, she bowed appropriately, then extended her hand toward him. “Same time tomorrow, yes?”

Lso shook it. “Yes, milady. Thank you for your time.”

“Please,” she said as he moved for the door. “I enjoy the time we spend together. Best of luck to you, Lso.”

Honorable Citizen Donát Lyov, Vulshainian ambassador to Vekaiyu, listened to the news about the death of Provincial Overseer of Skendia Yemasho Ilyaskuru, who was a strong opponent against a conflict with Listonia. Lyov didn’t believe that it was mere heart failure. Still, he needed to work on his report about this and send it to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Relations. Personally, Lyov thought that Vekaiyu’s Ikrisia Levinile was going down the same path that Max and Selvala had gone down. Sighing he worked on his report.

OOC: The diplomatic ranks of Vulshainian diplomats are as follows:
Honorable Citizen/Ambassador
Minister
Minister-Counselor
Counselor
First Secretary
Second Secretary
Third Secretary
Attaché
Assistant Attaché

“Premier Levinile?”

Ikrisia looked outside her window, standing and viewing the city in front of her, then turned to view the person standing in front of the entrance to her office. “Kivio Yeskevi,” she greeted as her face turned from solemn to jovial. “What can I do for you?”

Lso Yeskevi walked over to a chair and placed his hands on the back end of it. “Premier Levinile, you asked me to give you a response as to whether or not I’d be willing to go along with your plans. I cannot in my hardest of hearts make a decision until I know one thing.” He paused. “Was Ilyaskuru killed?” He paused. “Look into my eyes and tell me it wasn’t a regime decision.”

Ikrisia narrowed her gaze as she looked into the eyes of Lso the revolutionary. “What are your thoughts on the matter?”

He cleared his throat. “I love Vekaiyu, milady. Its charms and its iniquities. I’ve studied the nation for years. And consequently I see nothing that would tell me otherwise. I’m sorry, milady.”

Ikrisia nodded. “Then there is nothing I can do.” She paused. “I have no need to hide things from you, Lso. I neither ordered nor overheard of a plot to kill that person, annoying as he was at times. But it does look quite the opposite, doesn’t it? How fortunate we are to have a free press these days.” She smiled. “This is world politics, Lso. You’re guilty until proven innocent, and even then you’re still guilty. Me? I’m guilty by association. Vekaiyu’s been corrupt for so long, it’s only natural for people to suspect the norms. Even when it’s hopefully proven the man died of natural causes. Such is the task of someone trying to make a change.” Her gaze chilled to a stern stare. “Believe what you must. But what I have discussed is the truth.”

Yeskevi made a slight nod after a long pause. “Will you answer claims that suggest you did it?”

“Why? Will it really change their perceptions?”

“Well no, but it’ll at least rest the concerns of those who are your supporters.”

“Then I will consider it.”

Lso arched an eyebrow. “Why not act as those before you, though? Simply denounce it and have your government cover it up.”

Ikrisia pointed to a seat, to which Lso took it and sat down. “Because,” she began as she sat down. “Because I worked with them before.” She grinned and waited for him to laugh slightly. “In all seriousness, because a lot of what I learned, I learned from what I thought was a charming man who fought for things that are the opposites of that. Honesty, honor, justice. Stuff like that. He fought longer than I’ve been alive for those types of changes. He had his troubles and his demons, but I saw in him that belief, uncorrupted… and it only reaffirmed mine.” She sighed. “He’s as good as dead to me now, though. But where he has fallen, we will rise. At least, I hope I can say ‘we’ and not ‘I’. The rest of the world seems disinterested in such changes. What about yourself, Lso?”

“I think it’s fairly obvious by my writings where I stand, milady.”

“But any man can hide behind a pen.”

“Indeed, but like you, I have nothing to hide.”

Ikrisia smiled, drumming a few fingers on her desk. “I wasn’t ready for this job, you know? I underestimated a lot of things and lacked a sensible vision. I had short term goals, you know, like ending a civil war and working on trade with Allegheny and Listonia, but I didn’t really get what I wanted to accomplish.”

“And what’s that?”

She smiled. “You’ve listened to me talk. I want a Vekaiyu for all Vekaiyuns. A Vekaiyu that’s willing to stand with nations of The East Pacific rather than stand alone. And I want to ensure it will stay that way.”

Lso leaned back in his seat. “I will need to see more of this, to believe it.”

Ikrisia laughed. “Of course: you demand action and not words. You’ll see, things will begin to move very fast once Vekaiyu begins to incorporate Listonia. Of course, any problems encountered will be magnified if a good interim leader is not selected to help guide it. Don’t you agree?”

“Yes but won’t this leader be bound to Vekaiyu’s policies?”

She smiled again. “Bound? But your writings seem to indicate that a Vekaiyun-run Listonia would be a natural fit, don’t they? To answer your question, yes. Listonia will slowly be incorporated into Vekaiyu. When, however, is up to the future to decide. I don’t know what the state will look like a few years from now, but we’ll cross that bridge when we get there. But don’t be foolish. As long as I’m alive, there will not be a repeat of the chaos that is going on in Listonia today. And I’ll fight to make sure it never happens again.”

Lso nodded. “That is a fight I am willing to be a part of.”

“So…” she said as she leaned back and smirked, “I can address you as a future interim leader?”

“You can count on me.”

Ikrisia grinned. “Most excellent. Prepare yourself, for things are going to be moving very fast very soon.”

“What is the time frame for this all to start happening?”

“You will know when we hand you a ticket bound for the front. I can assure you that unless things change, however, this will take place after Christmas. I’m not about to defile a religious holiday by commencing a conflict so close to such a holy occasion.”

“So be it, then.”

Ikrisia leaned her arms against the side of her aquarium as an officer asked permission to enter her presence. The Vekaiyun Premier, of course, obliged, allowing for a break in recreation from playing with fishes.

“Premier Levinile,” he addressed.

“At ease,” she replied, pulling her swim mask up.

“Premier Levinile, Ler Commodore Lebivistre wanted to inform you immediately once the progress on the Vekaiyun Metropolitan Defense System was completed. Milady, it is completed and ready to be tested.”

She leaned forward. “Interesting, thank you for the update, Sipavu Commodore Igonari.”

He smiled. “With pleasure, milady.”

“Now that we’re secured, it’s one less step to embarking on Listonia.” She sighed.

“If you don’t mind me asking, is there something wrong, milady?”

Ikrisia looked up at him, then looked away. “I wish I could tell you. I really do.”

“You look nervous, kid.”

Lso looked up at an older vulpine man dressed in plainclothes stared at him, disturbed only by the bumps in the road as they rode on. “I never thought I’d be back in Listonia so soon.”

He laughed as he finished off the last of his flask. He had barely enough room to put it back in his pocket, as the entire back end of the truck was packed with Vekaiyun soldiers dressed as common citizens. “Best shot we’ll have at this. When you’re as old as me, you live for moments like this. The hand-to-hand combat. The taking out people as you push on. The smell of gunpowder. All of it. I’m just getting warmed up, cause the night’s still young. Only thing I’m worried about is if your little writings there did any good.”

“I think so,” he replied as the truck took another hard bump. “Unless Listonia’s changed since I was last here, I’m pretty sure the moment it looks like the government’s falling is when people will start to storm Veruvi Hall and subdue Evesuni. All depends on if people responded to my words.”

“Well they better. We airlifted enough of them over the border for you. You’re a household name if you weren’t by now over here.”

“Yeah.”

The truck continued to move down the road in silence. Inauspicious as it was, there was still great fear that amidst the confusion something would attack their ride. Most men were silent, but it was clear that silence was a convenient cover for nervousness.

“So the plan is for you all to entice the mob and storm the hall?”

“Yeah, sure kid. It’s more complex than that but if you’re just going to make it sound that easy, well…”

“Please,” Yiskevi said as he held up his hands. “I can’t do what you do. I’m sorry.”

“You just focus on what you have to do. Get to that room, 451, and make your broadcast. That’s all you need to do. We’ll take care of the rest.” He tapped the briefcase on his knees. “You know how to use this, right?”

Lso nodded. “Yeah. I’m not an electrician, but I know how to plug stuff in.”

“Good.”

“Listen, kid,” another soldier spoke, “you could die tonight.”

“I’m not afraid to die for my country.”

He scoffed as another bump jostled the lighting fixture above them. “Heard that one before.”

“I came this far. I’m not going to make my life into a sham. What must be done, must be done.”

The soldier arched an eyebrow at him. “You better. Cause I’m not risking my life for this Godforsaken place just to have nothing happen.”

Veruvi Hall

Sitting at her desk and reviewing plans for a project of interest, Ikrisia Levinile’s concentration was interrupted by the sound of knocking. It never seemed to fail: the moment she was engrossed in a particular task, someone else required her attention. Most world leaders didn’t have to deal with so many projects all at once, probably. Just rubber stamp this and make a public appearance on that, all the while making sure you kept up with the Joneses so you could remain ahead in the polls against some rival. Thankfully Vekaiyu wasn’t like that. There hadn’t been a successful election for a leader since ancient times.

“Enter,” she said as she finished off a final paragraph critiquing the budget for the particular project.

“Premier Levinile,” a military-dressed vulpine addressed, “you wished to be notified of the results of the Listonian election prior to their announcement?”

“Continue, Ilyuske.”

Solike General Lyensko Ilyuske stepped forward and slowly closed the door behind him. “Results appear to have Evesuni winning the election 46 to 43 over Lso Yeskevi.”

Ikrisia sighed and looked up from her work. “I can’t say I’m surprised. If we could just put the tact and tongue of Yeskevi and pair it with the leadership and stoic nature of Evesuni, we would have a powerful leader. Alas, that’s not possible.”

“Understood, milady.”

“It’s all very well. Evesuni and Yeskevi should work together in time. They’ll probably still hate each other after a while, which is good for the state, but in time the state will be Yeskevi’s to lose.”

“It is believed Evesuni had obtained some of his votes via assistance from hostile organizations.”

“Of course. They enjoyed prosperity under him, so they’ll naturally pick a guy who will return that. But that’s not our problem.” She leaned forward in her seat and folded her hands. “We have Vekaiyun bases in Listonia, Vekaiyun businesses in Listonia, prisoners working oil fields in the Burdek Lowlands, the majority of the police force is Vekaiyun, and have obtained cash flow coming into and out of the state. Rather than treat this as a money pit, which was our first folly three years ago, we’re treating this as an investment. And so far, my dear general, we are doing alright with that.”

“But wouldn’t it be best to simply rid the vermin from the state?”

“You would think. But Listonia’s not like that. At least not right now. Yes of course Listonia’s had a problem with crime, we’re not stupid. But they make up a large part of Listonian society right now. Until they trip over Vekaiyun affairs, I’m not interested in dealing with them. Why should we attempt to solve their problems there and risk overpsending or killing thousands over it? They seem to be doing a good job of that themselves. Let them fight it out. Then, when the time comes, when Listonia no longer is reliant on their business, we will crush them. Does that make sense, general?”

“Understood.”

“I think we will step back a little to see how Evesuni and Yeskevi sort this out. Both are very popular, and with how volatile the state is I don’t want a civil war started over this, no matter how much I doubt that will happen given Yeskevi’s demeanor. I see them fighting one another, but competition would be good for the both of them. Yeskevi will keep Evesuni in check, and Evesuni will teach Yeskevi on how to be a leader. Both need the other even though they will probably never admit that.”

“Understood, milady.” He did an about-face and began to leave the office.

“Oh, Ilyuske?”

“Yes, milady?”

“Inform Kral Commodore Nevikalu he is to double his efforts in Listonia. I don’t want any altercations to occur, especially with the winter drawing near.”

“I concur.”

Silver Canis Hall, Vulshain

Sam was busy working on some reports when his concentration was broken by a knock on his door. Sighing he told the knocker to enter. It never surprised him that whenever he started on one project or task, someone brought another one to his attention immediately after. “Comes with the responsibility of being Monarch of Vulshain I guess,” he thought.

One of his high-ranking generals, General-Major Vix Chandra entered the room. He had to admit that she was quite attractive. Her curly black hair, freckles, and olive complexion gave her a unique appearance. Of course, he didn’t have time for romance what with him running the country, although Cecilia was starting to be given more power as Sam and her tried to make the nation more of a constitutional monarchy. Besides, Vix was a human. While she was attractive, humans weren’t his cup of tea. He had nothing against humans personally, and he saw nothing wrong with lobos and vulpines falling in love with humans. It was just that he wasn’t into humans.

“General Chandra want can I do to help you?”

“The latest report on Listonia’s elections, Your Majesty,” she said as she handed him a vanilla folder with several papers detailing the current trend in the Listonian elections. Sam knew that Evesuni wasn’t dead, but granted he was a bit surprise that the former dictator had agreed to take part in a democratic election. Or so the Vekaiyuns claimed. Sam knew better. From what information they were able to gather, Evesuni had possibly connections with the crime syndicates, so it was a sure bet that the criminals were rigging the elections.

In Vulshain, even the suspicion of rigging an election was enough to get the CPGs and the government involved. But apparently, the same did not apply in Listonia.

Sam looked at the report. “So, Evesuni has a slight lead ahead of Yeskevi? Have they announced the results yet?”

“Not yet Sire,” she replied. “We expect the results will be announced very soon though.”

“Hm…” Sam got out of his chair and looked out his window in his office. “You know, I bet Evesuni and Yeskevi hate the other’s guts. Lock those two in a room by themselves, and they’ll probably kill each other.”

“So, it is a safe bet that this will cause another crisis in Listonia?”

“No. I don’t think so. Vekaiyu doesn’t want Listonia to become volatile again. During the recent crisis this year, the entire world turned its attention to Listonia. We almost got involved with a shooting match with Lazlowia. Good thing I didn’t order our ships to simply ram right through them.”

“Some my fellow officers think you should have, Your Majesty,” Vix said.

“Are they now?” Sam turned his head to look at her before he returned his gaze back out the window. “Vulshain can’t afford to look like an aggressive state. I still have mixed feelings about creating a Vulshainian Commonwealth to solve our problem with Rygard’s independence.”

He watched as children were being let out of school. “I don’t want Listonia to fragment into hot zone. Granted, I had hoped Laiatan’s idea of separating Listonia into zones would work out, but Vekaiyu is adamant on not doing that, or even allowing us to do it. We were able to get them to let us send relief supplies to the Listonians though. So that’s a plus I guess. To be honest, I’m glad that Yeskevi won’t win.”

“Sir?”

“He has a lot of great ideas, don’t get me wrong, but he’s more of a philosopher and political activist. He has a lot more to learn about running a nation. The Almighty knows it took me a bit to get the handle on things here. Still, having both Evesuni and Yeskevi working together isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Evesuni has the experience in leading a nation, while Yeskevi will keep Evesuni in check with his tact and ideals. Oh I expect a good deal of tension between those two.”

“But won’t that lead to a civil war or even a coup?”

“Not really. It might, but I doubt it. From what MMID and DIEIS have been able to tell, Vekaiyu pretty much has it’s eyes on Listonia and its hand in it too. If either Evesuni or Yeskevi get as much as a toe out of line, Vekaiyu will be all over them. Personally, Laiatan’s plan would probably have saved us a lot of problems and headaches, but oh well. Vekaiyuns, forever anchored in their ways I suppose.” Sam smiled. "Vekaiyu wants to keep Listonia on a very, very short leash while keeping a close eye on it. "

“So…um…What are you saying?”

“I’m saying that both Yeskevi and Evesuni are nothing more than mere puppets. Figureheads. We’ll continue to keep an eye on Listonia and what goes on there until otherwise. I have a feeling that our problems with Listonia’s stability aren’t over yet. Dismiss.” The General-Major saluted and left.

Sam continued to look out the window. “So, Ikrisia why did you want to keep Evesuni alive? Why didn’t you throw him in jail? What is your connection with him?” He decided that was something that required his attention as well.