[DISCUSSION] Citizenship System Burden/Bureaucracy

Acting from a poll in this again:

@Aurora_Yukihime @Dremaur @Kingdom_of_Napels @Marrabuk @Aggie @Dabeez

All of you formed the majority who believe the system is too burdensome and bureaucratic. Give me precise and detailed reasons and ideas so I can act on it.

Everyone else who has something to say, come, post it, now’s the time to speak up.

2 Likes

Oh, I purposefully abstained on that question. Mainly since I didn’t consider the system to be problematic bureaucratically, but I also wanted to hear improvement proposals.

I don’t think it’s overly cumbersome or bureaucratic at all. The components of a good voter registration system are as follows:

• Easily explained
  • Prevents banned nations from coming back
  • Prevents one person from having multiple registrations
  • Prevents easy votestacking

Our current system requires a forum post on a specific thread, a telegram from a TEP nation, and a telegram from a WA nation, both sent to a member of the VRO. I explained that in one sentence. Checks off first bullet. Additionally, forum post means IP check, IP check means no banned nations coming back. Second bullet checked. Multiple registrations? Even if IP wasn’t enough, we verify with WA. NS enforces the one-person-one-WA rule. Third bullet checked. Prevents easy votestacking? Praesidium can deny registration to security threats, and people cannot vote in elections/referendums if they registered after the election started. Fourth bullet checked.

What more do we need? An idea that has been suggested (and forgive me for not remembering who to credit, maybe Zuk?) to have voter registration (and/or voting in general) on the RMB of The Confederated East Pacific, via embassy. This would allow for RMB RPers to be judged for registration without needing the forums, and would allow them to more easily vote. It removes the extra IP check, but strict enforcement of the WA verification, and a higher level of inherent suspicion on the Praesidium’s part before a nation is cleared, could balance this out. This change I would support.

Other changes? I don’t see why they are needed. That said, not a single alternative system is being proposed here, so neither I nor my fellow Magisters may judge those on their own merits. If/when more individuals respond to this thread, as Vussul has begged and pleaded of all of you, then maybe I’ll have a different opinion on whether or not they’d improve the system. Which, by the way, he shouldn’t have to do in order to get these ideas.

Yes, and I agree that the voter registration system is good in this respect.

I suppose where I keep flip-flopping is the issue I have with “citizens”, which in general implies that you can vote on things or run for elected office without needing to go through another registration process. I don’t quite know how I’d solve this though – the system itself is fine as it’s currently designed, but even if the registration itself is easy to explain, how our system broadly works isn’t necessarily.

Well I mean in real life, voter registration is required even for citizens, at least here in the United States.

Yes, but twenty states have enacted automatic voter registration since 2015, usually when you renew your driver’s license.

The lack of discussion over this major issue is concerning. I propose a modified system:

• Scrap the legacy Citizenship masking thread and open up posting to all new accounts, as I think it used to be.
  • Change the Voter Registration form application to no longer require Citizenship names, which can confuse new players.
  • Change it so that Directors have to telegram applicants instead of the other way around to make it easier for applicants.
  • Generally slim down the application thread OP so it’s less of a text wall.
1 Like

I support these changes both as a Magister and as the individual responsible for maintaining Voter Registration.

1 Like

This looks interesting. On the “getting telegrammed instead of telegramming” proposal, telegrams are meant so the nation confirms it is indeed applying, so I can’t seem to understand how that would work. How would you envision it?

The Director would telegram the nation’s Citizenship and their WA nation and ask them to reply in confirmation that they are applying. If their WA and Citizenship nations are different, they should be told to also confirm from the other nation.

I’m not sure about the other proposals yet, but this, I support.

I support this proposal.

In particular, the director/s having to TG the applicant. Just makes it easier for the applicant to “confirm” their application.

The referendum looks like it has passed. Here is my amendment to the Citizenship Act.

For the new application form:

1. Can we look at renaming the Commission to something else? Small pet peeve, but if we have Citizen Commissioner and Police Commissioner, that’s two types of Commissioner. So maybe Citizenship Office or Citizenship Service or Citizenship Agency, with Citizenship Officer or Citizenship Agent. Idk. Small thing.
  2. Should be a space between the and Citizenship in Section II title
  3. Why should there be terms on CitiComm? I can maybe get behind it with explanation, but I personally can’t think of why we’d need to renominate them every six months?
  4. Idk about 2.4, it’s quite vague, and blurs the lines between the government bodies. Either automatically induct all Viziers (as we do with EPPS) or allow no Vizier assistance at all on an institutional level. Obviously letting Viziers be part of CitiComm is fine, but without membership, IMO, they shouldn’t be able to be asked for vague, unregulated “assistance”. I would say remove this clause.
  5. Per 2.5, citizenship would be a new thread? Not our current VRO thread, rebranded?
  6. 3.1.2, “both their nations” is fine as “both nations” IMO. Really small thing but yeah.
  7. I don’t really like how 3.2 is worded. First of all, “All applicants must have a valid WA nation they own listed within their application” sounds…ehhhhh to me. Idk. And then “- otherwise, their application shall be denied” also sounds off to me. Like we’re trying to cram it into the same sentence when it flows better as a separate one. Maybe “All applicants must list a WA nation and all listed nations in an application must be operated by their respective applicants. Applications not meeting these criteria shall be denied.”
  8. I also think the last part “This shall not apply to any active soldier blah blah blah” should be its own clause, including stuff from 3.5. Just in more detail. Like “Active soldiers of the Eastern Pacific Sovereign Army are exempt from all WA-related requirements. Active soldiers applying for citizenship or altering their WA status in the Thread must state their EPSA affiliation, with verification from the Overseeing Officer.” I would say put that as 3.7 and make the current 3.7 into 3.8 or 3.7.1.
  9. 3.1.3 is shaky to me…what additional steps would CitiComm add and why? It feels like it grants a lot of power.
  10. “use of an illegal IP address” isn’t something CitiComm can really investigate (3.4). Maybe remove that and just let Admin take care of that side while handwaving the legal parts.
  11. Instead of “ejection from the WA” for 3.4, maybe “recent ejection from the WA”. Marrabuk was ejected from the WA once upon a time and I wouldn’t wanna deny him citizenship. I mean for added flexibility, we can just let CitiComm decide what’s recent enough to draw concern.
  12. In 3.6 why do you say “in the designated medium” when you have already established the term “Thread” earlier in the act? I mean you even use the term in 3.6.2.
  13. “A Citizen’s Citizenship” in 4.1 hurts me. How about just “Citizenship”?
  14. In 4.1.1 and 4.1.2, I don’t see the real need to say “either by CTEing or losing resident/WA status” because I feel like that’s implicit in the wording of “No longer maintain residency/WA membership”. Like explaining how it could happen doesn’t add much IMO. And…if we’re gonna explain anyway, why have the term? Just have the explanation.
  15. …is 4.2 and 4.2.1 necessary? I feel like saying it’s cancelled after 48 hours implies that they have a 48 window to fix it.
  16. Again. 4.4. “The medium designated”. Whereas “Thread” is shorter and already established.
  17. Is 4.5 not conflicted with 4.1?
  18. Imma be honest, I don’t understand what 5.2 is saying. Maybe that’s a me problem, but could you explain? Same with 5.3 tbh.
  19. For 6.3, I’d say change it to whenever a nation IS prohibited, not when it’s nominated. Better for security to not make it public that prohibition is coming, lest they try to weasel out of it.
  20. What’s the difference between 6.6 and 6.7? Everyone can appeal and then everyone who was already a resident can appeal? Feels like one’s unnecessary. Or am I misreading?

As I currently read it, the Office can rebrand the thread and declare it the established thread. I may be stretching definitions, but I think this is acceptable.

As it is currently worded, with “may”, I read this as optional.

I do believe that is the intent behind it. I’m willing to remove it if most people want it gone.

It means, as I understand it, an application is legally denied or accepted at the moment the a post is made by an official on the thread. Similarly, it is only removed at the moment an official notes it is removed in the thread.

Implications would be someone receiving a 48 hour notice but casting a valid voting in a Delegate election because an official was tardy.

I believe this was included to make everything completely open and transparent so there would be no backstage removals nobody is aware of.

The one affirming the right to appeal is unnecessary. I have removed it. The other makes having a nation while prohibited a summary offence that can be acted upon. Obviously, if an appeal is successful, this summary offence would be inherently overturned with it.

The rest of your proposals have been acted upon.

If the Office determines a ban is inconsequential or that a ban two days prior isn’t recent enough to be of consequence, is there any recourse once they’re granted citizenship?

Do you mean if the decision to grant can be appealed by someone or an authority? At present, no, I don’t think there is.

Yes, that’s what I mean. I didn’t think there was either, and I think there should be if one office can potential readmit a questionable character.

I have added clause 3.4.1 which allows to Praesidium to overrule the Office’s decision to grant Citizenship but only for reasons of regional security.