Discussion of an Intelligence Leak

(OOC: Joint post between me and Norgs. This post directly follows off on this one by Styx, so read that one for context.)

The International Forum
Rilanon, Christie Island
January 23, 2024

Folcwine Osbeornsunu walked briskly in the halls of the International Forum. He had been serving as Tretrid’s representative to the Security Council for three years now, but he still felt like many of the corridors at its headquarters were unnecessarily winding.

He finally reached the door he was looking for. He walked up to it and knocked.

“Come in.” A deeper, more masculine voice from the other side of the door spoke up.

Folcwine opened the door and walked in. He shut the door behind him.

A gray skinned tiefling man with yellow eyes looked up from the documents on his desk to look directly at Folcwine. “Ah, Mr. Osbeornsunu. What can I do for you?” His voice had noticeably clear Norgsveltian accent as he spoke.

Folcwine gave a glance to the door, like he was afraid he was being listened to, before looking back at the tiefling. “Ambassador Fiocte,” he said, in a slightly hushed voice. “My government’s intelligence apparatus has recently come into possession of a transcript of a discussion at the Council of Gondwana that appears to show Sayyed defying the will of the Security Council by attempting to enlist the aid of the COG in annexing Kirislu and Dhoran despite the binding IFSC resolution forbidding any border changes except at the behest of the SC itself.”

“Certainly concerning action on their part.” Fiocte spoke in a more quiet voice before he grabbed his cup and poured coffee into it. “Want me to pour you a cup of coffee? Sounds like you might need it If Sayyed is going to be a diplomatic headache again.”

“I’ll gladly take a cup. Hopefully it isn’t as strong as some of the coffee I’m seen around these parts–I’m not Ambassador Turnbull.” Folcwine took a seat. He unbuttoned his suit jacket and pulled out a stapled document. “You can look at it all you want.”

“Don’t worry I’m not a Côtois.” Fiocte said in a low chuckle as he poured coffee into a second cup and handed it over to his Tretridian counterpart. The tiefling took a sip of his own cup as he took hold of the document, reading through it. “With lack of support from the rest of the COG, I wouldn’t put this as too concerning. It is at best an attempt from the Sayqidi representative to gather sympathy and support from other states before eventually bringing up the issue again to the IF.” He handed the document back to Folcwine. “That is not to mean one should undermine the seriousness of it, but until we see Sayyed firmly annexing the two regions it’s not enough to bother the SC in my opinion at least.”

“I wasn’t planning on immediately bringing this to the SC,” Folcwine said. “The RIS believes they know who the source of the leak was. It’s not anyone who has worked with them in the past, so, of course there are a few… questions that need to be answered before we can even consider acting on this.” He paused. “Norgsveldet is currently an observer of the COG, and should be party to these discussions. What the Tretridian government wants right now is some sort of confirmation of the authenticity of the transcript.”

“Now I understand. I’ll contact my government about the matter.” Fiocte took another sip from his coffee cup before continuing on. “Any other matter of concern?”

Folcwine sipped his coffee. “Nothing more that my government gave me special instructions on, anyway.”

“Well I’ll contact you the moment I get the confirmation.” He gave a respectful nod towards the ambassador. As the two went away from the talk of geopolitics to mundane matters of family and sports.

1 Like