[DISCUSSION] The Complexity of Voter Registration

… I don’t get it. Seriously, I genuinely do not understand what is so complex about Voter Registration, and all of the “debates’” that is happening in Discord have not helped matters, at all.

The Complexity behind Voter Registration is one of the biggest criticisms anyone who’s anti-Voter Registration makes, and yet whenever I ask them what’s so complex it’s either they don’t reply or they completely miss the point behind Voter Registration.

I’m going to lay down my understanding of the Voter Registration System, as we have it, according to the Voter Registration Act:

1. A Citizen (Which is ANYONE IN TEP) Can apply for Voter Registration by saying what their TEP nation is, and their WA nation. These two do not have to be the same, however they must both exist otherwise Registration is denied.
  2. They must send a Commissioner a telegram from their TEP nation and their WA nation.
  3. The Voting Registration Commission looks at the application, and approves or denies depending on factors like ban evading, incomplete forms, etc.
  4. If the Citizen wants to switch either TEP or WA nations, they need to telegram a Commissioner. If a Commissioner finds that either the citizen nation or the WA nation is inactive/gone, they telegram/contact the Citizen and gives them 48 hours to comply.

…That’s it! It’s genuinely not that complex! IT’S LITERALLY NOT THAT HARD, IT’S JUST CITIZENSHIP BUT WITH ANOTHER NAME ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

So please, enlighten me: am I missing something here? Is there some unknown law that I somehow missed that makes this harder to follow? Did I misinterpret any statute? If so, please let me know so that we can FIX THIS.

Oh, this also isn’t the thread for complaining about how “voter registration is exclusionary”, because that is ANOTHER TOPIC FOR ANOTHER DAY. Here, we discuss how and why voter registration is complex, and what we can do to fix it.

Pardon the language, it’s been a long week and we’re, for some reason, reviving the stupid regionalism debate again, which means “hey ho, here’s a laundry list of why TEP bad because we are traumatized”. I’m so tired of this debate, so I’m instead going to focus on what the Magisterium is supposed to do: make laws to fix problems. If the law truly is the problem, then I am fine removing it and writing another in its place. But right here, right now, on the topic of complexity, I just… I just don’t get it.

(this is technically a discussion but we dont have that tag so proposal will have to do)

You’re right I believe. Voter Registration just registers that you are indeed the nation you claim to be, by having you send a TG from said nation(s). And that’s it. Nothing complex about it. If someone is finding that already complex, then … well … they might find voting itself just as complex … so why bother?

Presumably, no one can explain what they find complex about Voter Registration, or they don’t dare to.

Tabled as per 2 month Abandonment Policy