Equal Representation

DISCLAIMER: THE ORIGINAL “PARISHHOOD” SHALL NOW BE CONSIDERED NULL AND VOID. THIS IS THE DE FACTO TOPIC.[hr]The issue of parishhood had been a hot topic in the United Parishes of Mexregiona. When the nation had officially been formed, only five regions had been legally named parishes. This left giant portions of the Union unrepresented and generally unhappy. For instance, Mainland Mexregiona easily dwarfs any other part of the country in terms of size and, in some parts, population, yet the people there are no more powerful than an unauthorized immigrant. Many groups had pushed for a greater status. All had failed. Mister Leader II knew that he had to be the force to cause the change that was so desperately needed in his home.

“Are we on? Good. Welcome, everyone! I have called the natives of this great Union to an important meeting in this fine capital of Dropdatderp. And don’t worry, I didn’t call you from work or school for nothing. This day will be as historic as any in our nation’s history. I believe it is time to do something drastic, in the name of freedom.” He paused. “I wish to unite the USM into a country of solely Parishes.”
The crowd gasped around the briefing room. Cameras flashed and reporters screamed to be heard over the their fellows’ din.
“Hush, now. Hush. I know this is a serious proclamation, but it simply has to be done. I have had it up to here,” he pointed to the center of his neck, “and I will not stand it any longer. It is time for the many territories of Mexregiona to finally become Parishes.”
Men and women towards the back cheered, the cheap chairs.
The nobles towards the middle booed abhorrently.
The reporters kept rambling and screaming on.
“Everybody calm down! You would think we would have some manners in this city! Anyway, many, if not, all of you know that this has a slight problem to it. The natives of Louisianaia, Insulmin, Insulmag, Ingenlap, and Ferterra may find this unfair. They will surely lose voting power. I have one argument to this, though: the people of the Territories have always been treated unfairly. Under the laws that formed this nation, they have been considered lesser peoples. They have never had the chance to vote, and this is a travesty. Equality in the USM is my primary goal. It is time to let go of the barbaric ways of the original government and set forth on a new path to prosperity. Put down your weapons, nobles, and let the advancing wave of peace take over. Without it, we may have no future.”
Mister Leader II had no further comments. He left the room as the nobles began to clash with the Leader’s bodyguards.

Mister Leader II sat at his chair, overlooking the work of himself and experts in the field. They had worked for hours on this project, and they had finally come to an agreement on the arrangements that were to be set into place to ensure equilibrium in the voting process.

[spoiler]http://i.imgur.com/Ubnk9fu.png
Red: Louisianaia Proper and Surrounding Isles; Orange: Insulmin; Light Blue: Insulmag; Yellow: Ingenlap; Green: Ferterra; Hot Pink: Newsheanland and Lubricus; Maroon: TO BE DECIDED; Brown: Cascade; Light Pink: South Cascade; Navy Blue: TO BE DECIDED; Purple: Archia[/spoiler]
The new map of the USM included both geopolitical and cultural influences, and, hopefully, would satisfy the angry Mexregionans of the Atlantian continent.
“Great job, guys. I’m sure the people will love it.” He excused the cartographers from the drafting area. He called upon one of his butlers, this man being named Heldspar. The Leader then asked him to arrange a referendum. With the minds of the two, they worked towards possible names of the two remaining Parishes.

After a very quick referendum was held in some remote locations of the remaining Parishes, the new names were discovered. Sorting past all the votes and notes handed over from the people, it was finally time to announce the winners.
“May I have everyone’s attention?” Mister Leader said, standing atop a shaky, wooden podium. The grounds were silent. Not a single man of the crowd budged. They knew that the new coinings of their homes could affect their lifestyle. Tourism could all depend on the naming. The listened intensely as the Leader crawled along.
“As you all know, there has been quite a large vote held these past couple of days. And, as you also all know, as shown by the unusual silence in the air, the names are about to be called out. Well, I could go on bickering, but here we go; the new namesakes of these two Parishes, going from north to south are,” he waited an ear-splitting second, in which the breaths of the congregation were deafening, “New Tretrid and New Altaesia!”
The crowd was dead-silent. Judgement of thousands, no, millions of people was upon them.
A man screeched out in the back, “I knew it!”
And the gathering clouded with the laughter, clapping, and shuffling of newly liberated people. It was a dream come true. The names were the last things on their minds. This speech, if anything, gave them the rights they so dearly anticipated: equal representation.

The population was now equal. Riots had taken place, but everything was somehow contained. Mister Leader II has become the most popular Leader since the first one, which isn’t saying much, but it’s something. Dropdatderp is angry and, for that matter, Insulmin City, but other cities such as Archopolis and Nouvelle Ville are rejoicing. There have been parades upon parades. Donations have been sent to Governmental Gully, but also death threats. Part and parcel.
“Now that that’s over,” Mister Leader said in an interview, “we can focus on more important things. I believe this is a big step for the USM, but only one in many.”