First SITO Meeting

Volkgoroda, capital of Laiatan

Secretary of the Confederacy Taisyia Rainard was very very nervous, she was shaking. “Okay, Taisyia, you can do this. You’re brother-in-law is from here, and no one was against marrying your sister, so things should be alright.”

She knew that this was going to be the first SITO meeting between Vulshain and Laiatan, and one of the things that would be on the agenda would be the fate of Rygard. Everyone wanted to give Rygard its independence, but there were those among the Rygard who wanted to become a Commonwealth nation under Vulshain, which neither Vulshain or Laiatan wanted.

“I hope Cecilia is there,” she muttered under her breath.

OOC: Not sure if we were going to have Cecilia there or not.

(OOC: Finally, the next collab post between myself and Vulshain.)

165 Katherine Avenue, South Itur Treaty Organization Headquarters, Volkgoroda, Laiatan

A single black SUV came to a stop in front of the new SITO headquarters building, the right side doors opening. Two lobo men climbed out from their seats, each protected by a member of the FSB. Both men showed obvious signs of aging, greyed fur being the most obvious. One of the men was wearing the Laiatanese Air Force uniform, checking his watch as he walked next to the other man, dressed in a black suit with a small Laiatanese flag on the lapel. The two men were speaking in Laiatanese as they began heading up the stairs, flanked by the FSB agents.

Taisyia cursed in French as she dropped a few papers. She tried to grab them all, but one of the papers blew into the face of the Laiatanese Secretary of Defense. She turned pale as she cringed.

The Secretary of Defense flinched as the paper flew into his face, grabbing it and removing it from his face, a look of annoyance across his features as he and the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff looked up the stairs at Taisiya. The FSB officers came around to the sides of the two VIPs, ready to react. The Secretary of Defense scanned his eyes across Taisyia, studying her for a moment before relaxing his facial features. He and the Chairman continued up the stairs, the Secretary of Defense handing Taisyia the paper. “I believe this belongs to you,” he said in English, holding out the paper, still trying to figure out who she was.

“Thank you, sir,” she said. “Sorry about that. I’m Secretary of the Confederacy Taisyia Rainard.”

The Secretary nodded, a small smile coming across his face. “I thought I recognized you. You were in the briefing back when you had that whole intelligence agency fiasco. Not to mention papers nationwide. I’m the Secretary of Defense, Alexander Dmitryvich Chuikov, and this is the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Mikhail Vladimirivich Dempsikov, Laiatanese Air Force.” Chuikov extended his hand out to Taisyia, as did Dempsikov.

“Ah yes that…” She said as she shook their hands. “It was a necessary thing to do, although looking back we might have…overdid it.”

Chuikov laughed a bit, nodding. “Just a little bit. Automatic weapons will certainly help shut down a rogue agency.”

“Indeed. There are still some who think Laiatan should have aided us at the time.”

“And there are some who think the raid should have been conducted by professional military units,” Dempsikov spoke up, looking at Taisyia from behind his sunglasses.

She nodded. “I’m guessing you’re one of those nay-sayers against the SITO I’ve heard about,” she said to Dempsikov.

“Not at all. I was for an alliance with Vulshain from the beginning. I just question your methods of getting things done on occasion,” Dempsikov replied, looking up at a police helicopter as it flew over before looking back at Taisyia.

“I see. Such as our research into mech technology?”

“That’s one of the components. I would much rather have a hundred new ZSU-15s than a lumbering piece of scrap metal.”

“Well, we will have to see once we do the tour of our mechs to you in a few months.”

Dempsikov nodded. “Of course.” He looked back down at his watch. “Now, I believe we are getting rather close to running late to our meeting.”

“Ah!” She looked a bit flustered now. “Yes, let’s get going then.”

The three headed into the headquarters, the two FSB officers staying in the lobby as the three continued to one of the smaller meeting rooms. Chuikov hung back to speak to Taisyia. “Don’t worry too much about ol’ Mikhail. While his bite is still certainly there, he barks a little more often.”

“Ah okay. That’s good then,” she said

“He didn’t get to where he’s at today for being soft, that’s for sure.” Chuikov continued as he opened the door for her, stepping inside once she did.

“Thank you,” she said. Cecilia was already there along with Stu, talking with him. She was already starting to show.

Zak was sitting at the far edge of the table, speaking to his Secretary of State, Vasilly Yuschenko. Zak turned his attention over to the entering group, his smile staying on his face. “Hello there Mikhail, Alexander, Taisyia.” Dempsikov immediately softened, a smile overcoming him as he shook Zak’s hand and hugging him, showing just how close the two became after Dempsikov’s appointment to his position. Zak did the same with Chuikov.

“I’m glad you are doing well, Mr. President, especially after what happened with your elections,” Taisyia said. Cecilia walked over and said something in French to her younger sister. Taisyia nodded and handed her some papers, which Cecilia stuffed into her pocket.

“Ah, yes. That lovely fiasco.” Zak said with a laugh, shaking Taisyia’s hand and offering her to take a seat. “Luckily I had popular support, though I’m sure you saw that on the news - hundreds of thousands of people marching into Revolution Square. Makes me so, so proud to have the privilege to lead this great nation of ours. I must be doing something right in leading this country.”

“Still, we had to go on high alert. We thought we were going to have to send special forces units into Laiatan to get you and your loyalists out of harm’s way,” Cecilia said while Taisyia shook Zak’s hand.

“That wouldn’t have been necessary, the military was fully behind our President here. Thankfully, it didn’t reach civil war heights. It was merely protests with an occasional riot. The Supreme Court did wonders in keeping the peace. Once they confirmed Mr. President won the reelection, he was quickly brought back into power and we got the trouble makers arrested,” Chuikov said, taking a seat next to Zak.

“Well, we made sure to be ready in case we had to arrest the troublemakers if they made it over the border,” Cecilia added as she and her sister sat next to Stu.

“Our snipers made sure they didn’t, that’s for sure. Put a 7.62 round right through the engine block of their jeep,” Chuikov said a little proudly.

(OOC: Collab post between myself and Vulshain.)

Cecilia nodded. “Still doesn’t hurt to be prepared. I don’t want people to think we were helping him. I’ve already read and heard a few of Laiatan’s media stars question if we were helping him.”

Zak nodded. “They’re about as right wing on the spectrum as you can get. Shouldn’t really listen to them.”

“Well, when they start accusing us of trying to turn your students and children into environmentalists, you start to get annoyed,” the Vulshainian premier added.

“Well, got to look at it from their perspective. It’s not completely that it was an environmentalist group - it’s also a foreign group.”

“Maybe so, but we were surprised that so many college and high school students here were very interested, not to mention inspired, to take an active part in protecting and preserving your nation’s environment. Although, a lot of angry and concerned parents called our embassy day and night.”

“I’d assume it’s for the same reasons,” Zak continued. “Although I’m not exactly sure why the group’s taken such an interest here - we do have environmental protection in place.”

“Some of your predecessors don’t have a good track record,” she replied with a smirk.

“If you’re referring to the 60s and 70s then yes - we weren’t the best when it comes to the environment. The 80s and 90s started rolling around, and today we’ve got quite a few national parks, nature reserves, and protected species,” Zak responded a bit coldly.

“Yes, yes, I know. Still, Vulshain has some strict laws and some things you could get away with here you couldn’t back home.”

“Of course - but if we put too much restriction on our economy, we’ll only destroy ourselves. If it’s good for business, it’s good for Laiatan.”

Cecilia sighed. “Anyhow, there is the matter of Rygard. We have already announced we won’t be establishing a commonwealth, but both Laiatan and Vulshain will take care of the military. We’ll probably just allow them to create a special defense force, tasked with defending their nation only.”

Zak and Chuikov nodded in agreement. “That’ll be best. Take care of them until we can shift all responsibility to the defense force,” Chuikov said, looking over to Zak.

“Agreed. Unfortunately, we have reviewed the popularity of the political parties, and sadly, one of the more popular ones is one we are concerned about,” Taisyia said as she took our some papers.

“Rygard’s under martial law, correct,” Zak asked, looking down to Taisyia.

“Well, we think it would be best to still allow them to establish political parties for when we start handing power back to their government, when they start elections that is,” Cecilia said.

“Of course, but if there’s issues with it now, why not disband all political parties. That way it looks like we’re restructuring the government rather than banning an ideology,” Zak replied, leaning forward.

“Well, it’s not really an ideology…I think,” Cecilia replied. “They called the Scientists’ Union Party, and well, we think it consists of mad scientists who escaped in the fighting. They did help us in finishing the liberation efforts, but we are still wary of them. A lot of records of what they did…aren’t there.”

“Surely there’s something we can do to find something incriminating on them, that way we can get rid of them.”

“We think the Rygardi military destroyed a great deal of their records, but we managed to recover and restore some of it. The only problem is that the scientists conducted questionable research methods, but all of their test subjects were volunteers, which we highly doubt, but since we can’t locate them, it is difficult, not to mention, many of these scientists were forced at gunpoint to do some…ugly things.”

“Are we questioning them as a political force or is this going to turn into a criminal investigation,” Zak asked, leaning back in his chair.

“Both actually. We want to prevent any of the commissionars from trying to worm their way into power. We know they are guilty of various war crimes.”

“Ah, okay. Well, suspend them from being able to run for office until they’re cleared by our coalition.”

“Understood. Now, we have heard a lot of praise from your men over in Rygard concerning our mechs,” Cecilia said. Taisyia handed a paper over to Zak. “One of your units was pinned down by heavy enemy fire, but a few of our Goliaths were nearby and assisted. Not only were they successful in rescuing your soldiers, but they also provided extra firepower in taking several buildings and structures. Our Heimdals have also provided both ground and air support to a couple of your tank units, one of which was my brother-in-law’s unit.”

Dempsikov nodded. “While true - they still fell behind as the forward units continued advancing.”

“Yes, but the Heimdals are capable of switching from ground to air mode in seconds. The reports are only in reference to the Goliaths, not the Heimdals. Also, our siege tanks were able to take out several enemy bunkers that your tanks were unable to take out. In addition, the Goliaths provided your tank units both anti-air and anti-infantry support several times, which my brother-in-law clearly pointed out.”

“With all due respect, there are no plans on instituting mechs into our military. Simple as that," Chuikov piped up, looking over to Cecilia.

“You seem to be quite…adamant in that regard. However, several civilian companies have expressed interest in bringing over our Golems, which are basically unarmed mechs designed for mining and construction.”

“I haven’t heard anything about that,” Zak replied, looking a bit confused. “Sure those are our companies?”

“Well, they expressed interest. I don’t think they want to make it official, since they believe the military will be against mechs entering any part of Laiatanese society,” Cecilia said.

“Not just the military. Quite a few businesses have expressed their unwillingness to accept mechs. Too expensive.”

“Yes, but recently a mine collapsed, and 21 workers were trapped. Thanks to the Golems, we were able to rescue all 21 miners in a day,” Cecilia replied. “Also, the costs and time saved by the Golems have caused them to become quite popular among our industries.”

“While we do appreciate the offers, we’ve made our own advances in making stuff cheaper and faster. This is about Rygard, not purchasing mechs,” Zak continued.

“True. Back to Rygard…we have to work on the war crimes trials soon, and I mean real soon.”

“Set up a tribunal. Similar to Nuremberg.”

“I was thinking the same thing. Also, we need to work with the Rygardi police departments as they were extremely helpful in assisting in the liberation of their country. Also, we need to start disbanding the Citizen Militias.”

“Disband the military and militias, place the police in charge of security. We can push them into a self defense role.”

“We have already begun that, but several reports have come where your troops are pretty much letting us do all of the work, and I. want. that. corrected.”

Stu rubbed Cecilia’s back a bit, trying to get her to calm down - knowing Zak is perfectly capable to tearing into anybody - especially when it comes to laziness in the military community.

Cecilia smiled, wagging her tail. “You have to excuse my sister, Mr. President. She is pregnant of course.”

Zak nodded, keeping himself calm. “I know. We’ll work on getting it corrected.”

“Good. I know that they have a lot of things to worry about too, but we would like them to pull their own weight some.”

“We’ll start investigating it.”

“Okay. By the way, what time is it? I’m hungry all of a sudden.”

Zak glanced down at his watch. “About noon. Time for lunch, then.”

(OOC: Collab between myself and Vulshain.)

Cecilia then asked, “So where are we headed to then?”

“Restaurant not too far from here,” Zak replied, standing up. Chuikov, Dempsikov, and Stu followed Zak’s lead, Stu staying back a bit to help Cecilia.

“I’m fine love,” she said. “Still, this meeting is starting off alright.” Taisyia nodded. “That is if you can keep your mood swings in check.”

Zak and the rest of the Laiatanese delegation continued outside, and headed down the street for about a block, coming to a stop at a small restaurant.

Cecilia added, “So, how do you think the meeting is going?” She looked at Stu.

“It’s going alright, I suppose. I feel like you guys have sort of tried to use this opportunity to change policies here, when we’re trying to focus on Rygard,” Stu replied, looking over at Cecilia.

“Say what!?” Taisyia shook her head as Cecilia stared at her husband.

Stu shrugged a bit. “You know, the whole thing with the environmentalists? 'Getting away with stuff in Laiatan you couldn’t do in Vulshain.”

“Well, it’s true. Besides, there’s nothing wrong with the youth of Laiatan taking an active interest in preserving the environment.”

“It still doesn’t pertain to Rygard.”

“Alright. I’ll focused on Rygard. By the Den Mother, you’re such a nag,” she said with a smirk.

Stu rolled with eyes, laughing a bit. “I’m just trying to not get the President of Laiatan to bite your head off. He’s still got a bite.”

“Thanks, I guess. We better hurry up. I’m starving.”

Stu nodded, helping Cecilia out as everyone made their way into the restaurant. There was already a large table set up for both delegations so each group could sit on one side.

Cecilia sat down next to Stu while Taisyia sat on the other side of Stu.

Dempsikov bit his tongue, taking his place next to Zak once he had sat down, Chuikov taking the spot next to him. A waiter came by shortly after their seating, and took everyone’s orders.

Cecilia ordered two appetizers, a steak, a full rank of ribs, fries, a bowl of clam chowder, and apple slices.

The Laiatanese were a bit taken aback by the abundance of food Cecilia had ordered. Stu decided to order pelmeni, Zak went for Chicken Volkgoroda, Dempsikov and Yuschenko ordered borsch, and Chuikov ordered ukha. The five also ordered a glass of solcha. The waiter walked off with the orders, and returned shortly after with the drinks.

Taisyia had ordered the same thing Zak had order. “So, the Vice President went to attend the Vekaiyun Ball,” Cecilia said, trying to start a conversation.

Zak nodded, smiling a bit as he took a drink from his glass. “Figured it’d be a good idea to at least send someone to represent us. I’m busy here, and old Andrei didn’t have much else to do.”

Chuckling a bit, Cecilia then asked, “So, what do you plan on doing now that the whole incident with the election incident over?”

“Well, focus a bit more domestically once we get Rygard settled. See about patching things up with the Vekaiyuns, then switch over to keeping the country running smoothly - keep the economy up, infrastructure going, all that stuff,” Zak replied.

“That’s good. Of course, Rygard will take a while though,” Taisyia added.

“I’d really like to see all forces off the island sometime in August. Leave security of the island to Rygard.”

“Well, it might take longer especially if you factor in both the crime syndicates and any remaining enemy forces, not to mention the East Malaysians,” Cecilia said.

Zak nodded. “Of course, but I think once we get the ball rolling with their security forces, we’ll be able to hand off all duties to them.”

“That was our thinking as well,” Cecilia added. “Also, the East Malaysians will have to take a look at any Rygardi tech as they think that some of it was East Malaysian technology stolen or smuggled. They say that the tech might be…unsafe.”

“Alright. We can get that coordinated.”

“It pays to have allies with big freaking flying warships with enough firepower to level an entire city,” Cecilia said with a smirk.

“Certainly makes things easier,” Zak replied, resting his hands on the table.

“Seems you don’t have much relations with East Malaysia,” Cecilia asked.

“We have the typical diplomatic ties - embassy, ambassadors. The usual,” Yuschenko replied, looking down the table at Cecilia.

“I see. Nothing in the way of trade agreements?”

“None that I know of,” the Secretary replied. The food finally arrived, and the Laiatanese representatives said a quick prayer to themselves before digging in.

Cecilia and Taisyia also said a quick prayer as well before eating. “This is good,” Taisyia said as she took a sip of her drink.

Zak nodded, wiping his mouth before speaking. “It is - some of the best in town.”

Cecilia nodded. She then choked on some of her food. “Water!”

Stu nearly jumped out of his chair, handing her her glass.

She quickly glupped it down before she choked. She sighed. “Easy, sis, you nearly gave me a heart attack,” Taisyia said, sighing in relief.

Stu let out his own sigh of relief, falling back down into his chair, watching Cecilia for a few more moments before continuing his meal.

“I’m okay. Just need to slow it down some. I guess this is part of being pregnant,” she told Stu.

Stu nodded, patting her hand a bit before continuing his meal. The other Laiatanese men watched - slightly worried before continuing to eat once Stu took care of it.

“Thanks, love.” She kissed him on the cheek before resuming eating.

“No problem,” Stu replied with a smile as Cecilia kissed his cheek.

“We will need to talk to the East Malaysians about their troops in Rygard,” Taisyia said.

“Of course,” Chuikov replied, taking a drink from his glass.

“The Vekaiyuns did have some small part during the early stages of the invasion, but they didn’t do much after that,” Cecilia added.

"Don’t involve them then. The only parties involved will need to be the Rygardis, SITO, and the East Malaysians,” Chuikov said.

“Well, okay then,” Cecilia replied, but mentally glared at him.

Chuikov returned to his meal, beginning a side conversation with Dempsikov on the hockey championship.

“So, Stu, do you think Laiatan will be entering this year’s Summer Olympics,” Cecilia asked.

“It’s certainly a possibility,” Stu replied, continuing his meal.
“That’s good. We didn’t get to join in last year’s due to an electrical fire destroying all of the documents and we miss the deadline by a few minutes, but this time we don’t plan on missing this year’s Games.”

“We meant to get into the Winter Olympics this year, but that fell through. Don’t really know why,” Stu replied.

“Okay. I see. Well, it will be nice to see how Laiatan does this year then.”

Stu nodded. “Hopefully we’ll be able to compete this year.”

“Well, it’ll be hard for us then: we’ll be cheering against the other’s country.”

“It won’t be too bad,” Stu replied with a laugh, nudging her. The other Laiatanese men were close to finishing their meals, talking amongst themselves.

Cecilia was actually closer to being finished than they were. As she put down her fork, she laughed as well.

Stu gave her a small smile before turning his head to listen to the four older men, shaking his head and laughing softly as they discussed who would win the championship.

“Who do you think will win,” Cecilia asked Stu.

“I don’t like either team,” Stu replied with a laugh. “But if I had to pick, I’d go with the Cardinals.”

“Oh please, their defense isn’t that great,” Cecilia said.

Zak’s ears perked up a bit, turning his head. “You follow Laiatanese hockey?”

“Well, of course. Vulshainians like hockey as well. We won the gold medal in this year’s Winter Olympics’ women’s hockey,” Cecilia proudly stated.

Zak nodded. “So I heard,” he replied before returning to defend his team against Chuikov’s onslaught.

“So, who is Zak’s favorite team?”

“The Okezuka Hurricanes,” Stu responded, looking back to his wife.

“And I’m guessing Chuikov is bashing them huh?”

“He’s a Cardinals fan, so yes.”

“Ah okay. Well, the Winter Coyotes could mop the ice with them both.”

“Sure they could,” Chuikov and Zak replied at nearly the same time, turning their heads down to Cecilia.

“Oh please. Cardinals have had some rough luck on defense lately, while the Hurricanes have a weak left flank. The Winter Coyotes are a perfect balance between defense and offense,” she replied.

“The Hurricanes’ left flank have been stronger than ever,” Zak replied, staring at Cecilia.

“Uh-huh. That’s not what I saw in the last three games.”

“Ottovich has been out those last three games, he’ll be back for Game Four.”

“Yeah, but when a team relies on one player it tends to hurt them some,” Cecilia added.

“It’s a good thing that the team’s pretty good all around.”

“I see. And the Cardinals? Their defense has been lacking lately.”

“They were able to hold the Hurricanes off into overtime. For all three games so far, and they’ve won two of them,” Chuikov replied, finishing off his meal.

“Well, from what I saw they were struggling to maintain their defenses,” she replied.

“They still won the games,” Chuikov replied as Zak stood once he saw everyone had finished.

“Aren’t we getting dessert,” Cecilia asked Stu.

“Dessert? With lunch,” Yuschenko asked as they all looked over at Cecilia.

“She’s pregnant, so it’s understandable she would want to eat a lot,” Taisyia replied to Yuschenko’s comment.

Yuschenko looked at Taisyia a little funny. “But she’s already eaten so much.”

“Well, she is eating for four,” Taisyia said. Cecilia coughed. “Oops.”

Eyes shifted from Cecilia and Taisyia to Stu, who just sort of sat there, stunned.

“Yeah, I was hoping to find the right time to tell you…but we’re having triplets,” Cecilia said rubbing the back of her head.

Stu let out a bit of a sigh. “Alright then.”

“I thought you would faint when I told you,” Cecilia said.

“Definitely wasn’t expecting three,” Stu replied, looking over at Cecilia.

“I guess we’re blessed them. If I told you we were having five, you might have fainted.”

“Well, thank the Den Mother it’s just three,” Stu replied.

Cecilia laughed. “Yeah, three is a handful already I guess.”

Stu nodded, laughing. “Yeah, just a little.”

“Well, are we getting dessert then,” she asked smiling.

“We can get it to go, we really need to continue the summit,” Zak said, smiling softly at Stu and Cecilia.

Cecilia got four things of desserts, two for her and two for Stu. “A little help, love,” she said.

Stu collected the desserts, and began walking with Cecilia and the group out of the restaurant, back to the headquarters.

She leaned on him, “Ugh. We probably need to start thinking of a baby room.”

“Yeah, probably,” Stu replied, staying close to Cecilia as they continued down the street, a short walk from the headquarters building.

“Hey hippies! Go home and bother someone else!” A couple of lobo teens sitting around yelled at Cecilia and Taisyia. One of them was sitting on the top of an old car. They were wearing do rags and baggy pants.

A police car turned onto the street the group was on, and the teens quickly disappeared over a wall. The car acknowledged Zak with a short honk of its horn before continuing on down the road. Stu kept Cecilia close, ignoring the teens.

“Summer break, I guess. Remind me to never let our kids become like that,” she said.

“Don’t worry, they’re not going to end up like that,” Stu replied softly as the group crossed the street, heading up to the building.

Cecilia nodded. She held onto Stu as she walked up the steps.

One of the FSO agents held open the door for the group, and they quickly made their way back into the conference room, returning to their seats.

“Alright, let’s start shall we,” Cecilia said.

Stu set down the desserts, only to be interrupted by his cell phone. He looked down at it, scrolled for a few moments and slipped it back into his pocket. He whispered something into Zak’s ear before returning to Cecilia, kissing her cheek. “I gotta go,” he said quickly, leaving the room and heading out to a waiting black SUV.

Cecilia didn’t have time to say goodbye as her ears pressed against her head. Sighing, she turned back to the matter at hand. “So, we need to figure out on what is to be done with the military of Rygard. From what I’ve read, the Rygardi soldiers were trained to be soulless killing machines, and they were completely in fear of the Commissars. I believe we need to completely dismantle the Commissars and try to retrain the soldiers.”

Chuikov nodded. “That’s what our reports told us. We agree, and think that the entire military needs to be restructured.”

“It’s a mess. In fact, the entire government was a mess. The junta and the politicians were at each other’s throats, with the people caught in the middle. Luckily the Rygardi senators have been cooperating with us, so that is good. We also need to decide on the situation in Dorden as there still reports that not all of…the…well, psychos are accounted for. And from what the reports tell me…I would prefer an army of terrorists to just one of these nutcases.”

“Then we need to rebuild Rygard from the ground up. Leave SITO in charge of security, maintain martial law while we rebuild their government. See about getting them a president the people choose. We’ll be able to help this island get back on its feet.”

“I was about to say the same thing,” the Vulshainian premier said. “Of course, the Rygardi police were a tremedous help, so we should leave them alone as the people trust them greatly.”

“Leave them be - we’ll work jointly with them,” Yuschenko offered, looking down the table at the premier.

“Didn’t I just say that,” the premier asked.

Taisyia calmed her sister. “We also need to work on dealing with the research projects the Rygardi were working on. Those defense energy cannons, according to the East Malaysians, were defective and it’s a miracle the entire island was destroyed as they overheated to the point of critical mass. In other words, a nuke misfire.”

“Are they hazardous? As in, do they produce any hazardous waste, or are they made up of anything of the sort?”

“Depends,” Cecilia said, having calmed down. “The East Malaysians have advised that they handle taking care of these projects as they noticed a lot of them used their own tech.”

“Let them deal with it - I’m not risking the lives of my soldiers in a situation we don’t know anything about,” Zak said.

“I agree. I already told our soldiers to call them in if they found anything.”

“We’ll give that same order,” Dempsikov said, writing down a few notes.

“Also, we need to do something about the…escaped projects,” Cecilia added.

“What’s their mental state,” Dempsikov asked.

“Deranged…canniblistic…want me to go on?”

“Would it be out of line for me to suggest we shoot them on sight?”

“Nope,” Cecilia responded. “Might be a blessing to them if we did.”

“Let’s just do that then,” Dempsikov offered to Zak, who nodded. “It’d be best.”

“Agreed. So, does anyone else have anything to say?”

The Laiatanese group looked at each other, and Zak shook his head after a few moments of silence. “Appears not.”

“Well, we need to work on training execrises between our forces, especially since we use mechs and you don’t. Probably helping your troops know how to fight alongside our mechs would be very beneficial to us both,” the premier suggested.

“That would definitely be a good idea,” Chuikov said with a nod.

“Anyone against that idea?”

Everyone else shook their heads.

“Alright. Also, what is the status of the railway connecting our two capitals? We’re at border on our side.”

“At the border,” Yuschenko said proudly.

“Good. Zak we need to schedule a time for when you and Sam can put in the final spikes linking our two capitals together. Imagine a bullet train connecting our nations.”

“Not to mention bullet trains are very safe,” Taisyia added.

“We know, we use them quite extensively,” Zak said with a laugh.

Cecilia laughed too. “Anyhow, we need to see about having joint space missions as well as deep sea exploration joint ventures,” Cecilia added

“That should be just fine - we fund our space program extensively.”

"So, how are things with Vekaiyu?

“Not much different - still a little tense, but I don’t see any more shooting occurring, it’s been nearly three years.”

“That’s good. It would be bad if we had to act as referre with an all-out war between you too.”

“We certainly had justification, I’m just glad we were able to calm the situation.”

“Indeed,” Cecilia said. “Also, thank you Zak for letting me put up an office here in Laiatan. I greatly appreciate it.”

“It’s not a problem,” Zak replied, a smile coming across his face.

“I’m just glad that there were anyone who made a fuss about it.”

“You think somebody would?”

“Maybe. But I’m just yammering on. I’m just stressed about my recent pregnancy. Of course, Stu will be the one stressing even more. You should give him some pointers just in case,” Cecilia said with a smirk and a wink.

“I don’t know if I’ll be able to prep him for triplets,” Zak admitted with a laugh, leaning back in his chair.

Laughing too, “I can understand, but he’s going to need some support.”

“Of course.”

“So, about the Green Paw crisis…”

“What about it?”

“Well, I don’t like how your media is portraying them: as dangerous eco-terrorists.”

Zak shrugged. “Can’t do anything about it. Freedom of the press.”

“Oh? Does that include: saying that anyone who is a member of the Green Paws is an eco-terrorist? Because I am a member of them.”

“The media has never once stated they’re eco-terrorists. They’re simply reporting the events.”

“Alright, well, still I don’t want these events to disrupt the SITO…one moment.” She checked her phone. Setting it down she looked at the Laiatanese across from her as she folded her hands in front of her face. “Tell me Zak…why was a Republican Guard conducting espionage against us?”

“What?”

She slide her phone over to him. It showed several recent articles of The Confederate Sentinel.

Zak read over the articles, a look of disgust on his face.“Instead of worrying about our media, you should worry about your own. There are no Republican Guard units in Vulshain.”

“Really? Well, why did Stu run out of here so upset?”

“Upset? He wasn’t upset. He was rushing to go figure out why Vulshainian media is portraying our citizens, and claiming he was a Republican Guard member, as the bad guy. I can guarantee no member of the Republican Guard would ever do something like that.”

“I hope so Zak. I really hope so. I know you wouldn’t do something like this, but this will certainly be extremely bad for both of us if it turns out he is.”

— Begin quote from ____

Aerospace Navy Defense Command / East Malaysia Intelligence Agency
Rygard Incident | Code Blue Directive
Protecting the environment & humankind

Findings:
Rygard obtained smuggled East Malaysian technology from Southern East Malaysian Human Territories with black market transactions. The technology used in the energy cannons were constructed with limited modern technological understandings and ended up being botched severely.

The technology used more specifically were experimental stealth city shield prototypes that were in the early stages of development. City shields in general are very safe but when used to essentially reverse engineer a weapon when in the first steps of design can be deadly.

Examples of this are obvious with the cannons depleting the E.A.N. Lost Woods’ shields and causing major structural damage as they searched down the energy signal. After reviewing the remains of the cannons or finding then intact–we found that they were very unstable–and if they had reached critical mass that the end result could have been a small to large scale explosion depending on the simulation that is used. It is generally believed by the majority of the researchers that it would have been a large scale plasma implosion/explosion and would have destroyed the city.

Environmental & Humankind Impacts:
A large scale plasma implosion/explosion would have been generally easy to clean up with the exception of charged plasma from a Warp Core or Faster Then Light travel.

The environment would have been devastated but like with any natural disasters it would resurge after several years or months with the assistance of people.

The loss of life would have been massive but with reconstruction and from what is known of people always coming to centers of economic development it would eventually be replenished also.

Resolution:
We will work with the governments involved to make the the following process as peaceful as possible. The majority of East Malaysian forces will start withdrawing but we will be leaving a task force of Aerospace Navy ships and EMIA researchers to confiscate any technology that is East Malaysian or that has been reversed engineer.

— End quote

( OOC: I will be keeping an eye out for any mentions that may require some sort of involvement :slight_smile: )

Cecilia and Taisyia were late. They walked in, with five CPGs right behind them. The guards were not happy. They kept their hands on their sidearms. Cecilia’s hand was bandaged. Also, she kept rubbing her head and hissing in pain.

Zak stood up when he saw Cecilia come in. “Are you alright? What happened?”

“Yeah…sort of. Had a run-in with the anti-Green Paw members. I had to punch one in the face, when he pulled my tail and hair. The police and CPGs had a time getting us here. Not to mention, I got hit in the head with some trash. Going to have a nasty bruise soon.”

Taisyia nodded. “This situation is out of control. What’s going to happen when the anti-Green Paw protesters start shooting at us?”

“They won’t start shooting,” Zak said, returning to his seat. “I’m sure the police arrested the troublemakers.”

“They did. But I do hope you can take control of the situation or at least get it under control,” Cecilia asked. “And I don’t like what is happening with Green Paw. This isn’t how they behave. They do protest once in a while, but recently they have tried to move away from that and focus on conservation and educating the public. Sabotage and eco-terrorism is not part of their philosophy.”

“Cecilia, I can’t stop the people from protesting. It’s their right as citizens to be able to protest. Any troublemakers are arrested for security reasons, but I will not shut down the protests. Out of the question. As for Green Paw, talk to them, not me about it. My government’s simply enforcing laws they broke.”

“I understand. Still, you have to find out why one of your spies was in my country.”

“We don’t even know if he is a spy. He’s in a coma, so you won’t hear the truth until he wakes up.”

“Well, when he does wake up, you better get ready for hell, because that’s what is going to happen when he does wake up.”

“Is that a threat,” Dempsikov asked, eyes narrowing as he looked down at Cecilia.

Cecilia glared at him. Taisyia made some subtle motions to Zak to help her out before the two of them did something stupid. “It’s okay sis, he’s probably just stressed out like we are.”

“I’m not stressed, I’m just sick of the way she thinks we’ll crack down on our people just because she’s upset her environmentalist group is being chastised here,” Dempsikov continued, still staring at Cecilia. “General, that’s enough.” Zak turned his head to Dempsikov, whose ears fell back against his head before giving a small, understanding nod to Zak.

Taisyia nodded a thanks to Zak. Cecilia sighed. “And besides, there is the possiblity that someone is using us as pawns in some twisted chess game, and I don’t like being a pawn.”
35853 PM Zak nodded. “I know Cecilia - but for now you’ve got to look at what we know. Green Paw members vandalized a mining site, took police on a high speed chase across the city, fired on Skopa officers as they were executing an arrest warrant, and set fire to their office building.”

“Well, you’ll be happy to know that Green Paw is sick of this as we are and are cooperating with us. They have agreed to help us both in the investigations and have already turned over evidence that shows someone had hacked their member database. The members who have been causing problems in your country were barred from joining due to the fact that Green Paw thought of them as being too extreme and aggressive for their tastes…but someone let them in anyhow. They don’t know who did it but they want to know just as much as we do.”

“We still need your assistance in apprehending five Vulshainian members that were indicted with the other fifteen.”

“When do you want them sent over? I’m surprised that you haven’t told us when you wanted them brought over,” Cecilia said.

“As soon as possible - and we did send something, but it was straight to Kitsuniva instead of you,” Yuschenko spoke up, his hands resting on the table.

“Well, my brother never got anything and he’s been pacing like crazy waiting for a request from you.” She pressed a button on a small device, which caused a holographic projection of King Rainard to appear in a seat nearby. “Hello, Zak, gentlemen,” Sam greeted them.

The four gave Sam a quick nod, and Zak returned his attention back to Cecilia. “Must’ve been an issue with our communications - we’ll look into it. But yes, if we could have those members sent over as soon as possible, that’d be great.”

“Alright. We’ve been checking our communications constantly, we haven’t found anything wrong with it. But the spy just woke up from his coma…Zak…brace yourself.”

“And?”

“He’s an AVR agent,” Sam told him.

Zak let out a sigh, covering his mouth. He turned to Yuschenko, whispering something and getting a nod from Yuschenko.

“You okay, Zak?” Sam looked worried.

“Safe house.”

“Huh?” Cecilia, Taisyia, and Sam were puzzled by this.

Zak let out another sigh. “The only way he’s an AVR agent is if he’s the housekeeper of a safe house. We operate several in Vulshain, as well as across the region.”

“And…your reasoning to having–” Sam waved a hand to calm Cecilia. “Alright, but why would he be working with corporate spies and thugs and trying to steal important documents and files from us,” Sam said.

Zak shook his head, shrugging. “I honestly don’t know. He’s supposed to stay with the safe house.”

“Then, I guess you’re having a situation where AVR has become compromised as well. It is possible he was tricked by a corrupt superior or something or someone tricked him into thinking he was getting orders.”

Zak shook his head. “The AVR’s watertight. Maybe his safe house was compromised, though. He went after the ones that hit it, or something.”

“Maybe, but from what we gathered from him is that he got orders to find info on some black ops groups who have gone rogue. However, he probably realized that something was way off when the thugs tried to rape one of our people.”

“So, someone is trying to get Vulshain and Laiatan to go to war with each other,” Cecilia added.

“Or destroy the SITO treaty,” Zak offered. “I don’t think we’d go to war with each other.”

“Remember Zak, my sister is pregnant here.” Sam smirked. And that goes for you too, Dempsikov. I understand that you want to protect your nation as much as we want to protect our nation, but please bear in mind that my sister is pregnant and is already under a lot of stress right now." Cecilia rolled her eyes. “Anyhow, that’s what I was thinking as well. The idea of the SITO treaty would probably make people like Vekaiyu or even terrorist organizations to worry. Still, I don’t think Vekaiyu would want to undo the SITO, but still, there are some things that worry me about Vekaiyu right now.”

Zak nodded. “We’re slowly warming back up to Vekaiyu, but I don’t think they’re behind this.”

“I agree. Still, you need to prepare for the shock from your people when they found out that it was a Laiatanese spy in Vulshain. I apologize Zak, but this whole situation has spiraled out of control and we’re doing everything we can on our end to fix things,” Sam said.

“Sam, they’re simply protesting and stating their opinions, it’s not out of control. It’s completely handled. As for the spy, I don’t think it’ll matter much - not as much as what Green Paw’s done.”

“Well…that I’m afraid isn’t going to be the case. Zak, he was assisting spies to steal top secret documents. Military secrets. Some of which you would probably strangle me over. And yes, Green Paw has admitted that they are going to change. They think it is time to stop protesting and work on better options. Conservation and education are much more effective and efficient. However, I don’t think banning or kicking them out of Laiatan is the right option, no matter what they did. You can’t blame the whole group for what some bad apples did. We’re not blaming you and your whole administration because of the gulliblity of one of your spies.”

“Why would I strangle you over your own military secrets,” Zak asked, now puzzled.

“Well…We found some old superweapon projects Rivers and his scientists were working on. We found that a lot of them were almost complete. We debated it a lot Zak. But…we realized that dismantling them would cost more money than it would just finishing them up. At least these projects aren’t going to blow up the world, which is good.”

“What kind of superweapons?”

“Oh…submarine aircraft carriers, a massive superlaser capable of blowing a hole in the moon. Don’t worry that one we’re dismantling. Um…let’s see…A gargantuan aircraft carrier with legs that’s bristling with several homing missile launchers, machineguns, long-ranged cannons…you get the idea. And several railguns and high-powered laser cannons. Also…there’s an aerial aircraft carrier.”

“Really? It’s cheaper to finish those than dismantle them?”

“They were that very close to completing them. And besides if you want we could give you some of them. Think of it as a gesture of apology for this mess we’re both in,” Sam replied.

“Sam, do you realize what this’ll look like to the rest of the international community? Building these sorts of weapons?”

Sighing, Sam replied, “Don’t worry, the submarine aircraft carriers and anti-missile laser cannons are about the only things we’re keeping. The others we are trying to figure out how to utilize the technology for more peaceful things. Not really dismantling them, but just studying them is all. You’re welcome to send your scientists over to study them as well.”

Zak still seemed skeptical. “It still just seems ridiculous. The submarine. I’d be all for anti-missile lasers, we won’t have to worry about ICBMs anymore. You’ll have our support with the lasers, but that’s about it.”

“I understand. The submarine might be a bit too much, but we only have one completed. Actually, it was 99% completed when we discovered it. There was another one that was 79% completed.”

“But seriously, Zak,” Cecilia added, “we’re allies, so you can take a look at this tech and see what your nation can use. We could keep this all quiet and only use the superweapons as trump card or last stand tactic.”

Zak nodded, still thinking. “Alright, we’ll take a look. We’ll definitely support the laser system - we’ve got our own in the works right now.”

“Ah I see. Also, I still take it Laiatan has a no superweapon or doomsday weapon policy huh,” Sam joked.

“We operate nuclear and chemical weapons, but nothing like what you’re trying to build.”

“Well, I guess supermechs would be the best detriment to nukes or chemical weapons,” Cecilia replied. “Although the aerial aircraft carrier will be one of the things you will see when we show you our mechs.”

“I don’t think a supermech could withstand a nuclear strike,” Chuikov commented, his notepad filled with notes.

“Depends if the supermech can knock a nuke out of the air or launch its own nukes. Anyhow, we need to work on this superweapon issue. It could scandalize us both in the international community.”

“It is possible that you might be able to offer suggestions on the best course, especially since we don’t want to just throw away all of this technology,” Taisyia added once Sam got finished. Her brother nodded in agreement.

“We’ll need to reasearch some of those things for peaceful uses. The lasers need to be the only thing we use militarily.”

“Understandable. Of course, the aerial carrier could be a joint defense weapon and would only be used in our airspaces.”

“… We’ll consider that one. That could be very helpful, but there’s other issues with it we’d need to work it out.”

Sam nodded. “Yes, the response by the international community would be mixed. Of course, if done right, we could get by without any problems. The submarine carrier will pose another problem as it is the size of an actual aircraft carrier.”

Zak shook his head. “We won’t support that one. It’ll be much more expensive to operate than a regular carrier.”

Sam smiled. “I was actually hoping you would say that.”

“Good - I’m glad you agree,” Zak replied with a smile.

“We will begin researching the tech before dismantling the whole thing,” Cecilia added. “The research gathered would be most useful in enhancing regular subs and carriers.”

“Of course. There’s no way we’d be able to operate it.”

Laughing, Sam replied, “I’m guessing you don’t want the aerial carrier either or the walking land carrier?”

“Aerial carrier maybe - land carrier, no. We have runways for a reason.”

“Besides a land carrier would present an easy target no matter how heavily armed it is,” Cecilia added.

Zak nodded in agreement. “Plus, it’s not a very… smart idea.”

“Care to share, although we already have a good idea what you will say,” Sam smirked and chuckled a bit.

Zak shook his head and laughed, rubbing the back of his neck. “No, that’s alright.”

Sam smiled. “Anyway, we will send the people you want. Also…and this one is a bit strange. Apparently your spy will not tell us anything else. Says he will only talk to Stu.”

“Stu? Why’s that?”

“Apparently, the spy says that he and Stu are friends. That’s all we can get out of him. Does Stu know anyone who was working in the AVR?”

Zak shrugged. “I don’t know. Think he’ll be healthy enough to transfer over to one of our hospitals?”

“I’m not sure. Let me checked…” Sam reached over and began to look at something. “Doesn’t look like it. He lost a lot of blood. The doctors said that it’s a miracle he’s alive at all. They had to rearrange his bones in his legs as they were…it wasn’t pretty let’s put it that way.”

“The doctors don’t want him moving much at all, not until he has fully recovered. He could slip back into a coma if he pushes himself.”

Zak nodded. “We’d like to see him returned home once he’s healthy enough.”

“I understand. I’m going to guess he is in hot water once he does return, huh,” Sam asked.

“Up to the AVR and the Federal Courts,” Zak replied, leaning back in his chair.

“What would most likely be his sentence just out of curisoity,” Taisyia asked.

“Couple years? The only real crime we can get him on is leaving the safe house, but we’ll need more information on that.”

“Is leaving the safe house that a big of a deal? Also, what exactly are these safe houses for,” Sam asked.

Zak shook his head. “Not really - only if it was on his duty hours. He’d be free to move around the city during his off hours. As for their purposes, they’re mostly for getting citizens and other… targets out of the country they’re in.”

“Might be useful if we could set up some in your nation. We were concerned that if a civil war broke out during that election incident how we could get you out of the country quickly and safely.”

Zak shook his head. “Won’t be necessary. We’ve already got a system set up for that.”

Sam nodded. “I understand.” A CPG went over to the window. He glared at what he was seeing. “Ladies and gentlemen, we have a problem.”

Several Volkgoroda police cars, sirens wailing drove rapidly down the street in front of the headquarters building. Zak stood up, and walked over to the window as well, peering out of it. Further down the street, a throng of protesters were beginning to march down the road. On the other side of the road were officers in riot gear, making their way quickly to block off the street to give the FSO officers behind them in black SUVs time to evacuate the buildings - if required. “What in the world…” Zak muttered, watching the scene unfold.

“Seems the anti-green paw protesters have decided to–Move!” The CPG got Zak away from the window as a cocktail bomb went off close to the building.

Zak sighed, shaking his head as he continued to look out the window. “Alright, let’s go. FSO’s down the street, they’ll get here.” The Laiatanese began packing up calmly, and started heading out into the hall.

Several CPGs took out their sidearms. “Everyone: Drill time,” the lead CPG said as they escorted both the Laiataneses and Vulshainians.

A line of riot police had now blocked off the street several blocks down, keeping the protesters at bay, loudspeakers calling for them to return home. Multiple FSO vehicles stopped in front of the building, multiple agents climbing out of the vehicles, dressed in their fatigues. Two of the agents made their way up the stairs slowly, stopping at the door. “We’re here to get you guys out,” one of the agents said, both of them opening up the doors.

A cocktail bomb hit a police car. “Down!” The lead CPG yelled and told the agent, “We can radio the Vulshainian Embassy to bring a couple of exosuits here to act as a backup detriment.”

“Not necessary - our boys have been trained for this.” The FSO agent replied, not flinching when the firebomb went off. Several more police vehicles approached the scene, and riot officers began firing tear gas into the crowd. “Let’s go,” Zak said, making his way down the stairs calmly, followed by his cabinet members.

The CPG nodded. “Lead the way,” he told the agent. “We’ll cover the rear. Also, Premier Riskotov’s pregnant, so we got to be extremely careful.”

“Don’t worry, we’ve done exfiltrations under pressure before,” the agent in charge replied, staying close to Zak. Once the Laiatanese government officials were loaded up, the SUV sped off, and the FSO began loading up the Vulshainians.

Someone took a pot shot at the Vulshainians. The CPGs fired a taser at the shooter. “Taser-equipped handguns. Never leave home without them,” he said smiling at the FSO agent. They got everyone inside safely. “Stu is going to be worried sick about me,” Cecilia said.

The FSO agents climbed onto the running board of the SUV, taking hold of the railing on the top, and pounded his hand on the side of the vehicle. The remaining vehicles drove off after the others. The riot police continued fighting back against the protesters, eventually driving them back with the tear gas and fire hoses. The shooter and several firebombers were arrested, and dragged through the street to holding vans.

The SUVs took a quick turn into a small parking garage, where several other governmental vehicles were parked. The FSO agents climbed off the running boards, opening up the doors for the Vulshainians. The Laiatanese were already waiting by the small elevator, talking with each other.

The CPGs escorted Cecilia and Taisyia to the elevator. “No doubt this will make the evening news,” Cecilia said.

Probably," Zak responded, busy on his cell phone. Several FSO agents maintained a small perimeter around the high value group, a few more outside, guarding the entrance.

The CPGs did the same joining their Laiatanese counterparts. Cecilia called Stu to let him know she was okay, but got his voicemail. She left a message.

The group waited only a few minutes before the presidential limo arrived into the parking structure, and the FSO agents opened up the door, Zak and his cabinet climbing in, motioning for the Vulshainians to join them.

Cecilia and Taisyia joined them while the CPGs joined the FSO agents.

The FSO agents returned to the SUVs, and escorted the limo back to the Wolfsden, everyone climbing out and heading into the building, the vehicles heading into the parking garage.

“Any word from Stu?”

Cecilia shook her head. “He’s been very busy figuring out what the heck is going on.”

“We’re away from the madness now." Zak said as he went further into the room, his cabinet following. “That’s the only riot reported in the city, Mr. President.” Yuschenko said, reading off an email. “Okay, good. Means we just got ourselves a couple of rotten apples in that one bunch.” He headed upstairs, intending to go to his office.

Cecilia listened. “Will Stu be joining us?”

“If he shows up, yes. It’s likely he’s still at the Miugonik, though.” Zak replied as they headed upstairs, opening up his door and taking a seat behind his desk.

Cecilia and Taisyia walked in as well. “So it seems that this might start becoming a problem,” Cecilia said.

Zak motioned to the chairs before his desk for Cecilia and Taisyia to sit - his cabinet and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff had now dispersed, leaving him alone with the Vulshainians. “Only if the rest of them start to riot. Doubt it will though, but the police will keep an eye on them.”

“Well, hopefully we can help you in any way we can. However you do realize we need information on Dobycha. If you want to know, they did break some environmental laws, but not on purpose. They were supposed to do some mining for us, but we specifically told them to dig only in a certain area and that we would also pay them to restore the area once they were finished. However, they dug in an area we told them not to mine in as it was a protected wildlife preserve. They refused to restore the area and to pay the fines, so we had to take themm to court. They said it was our fault, that we didn’t give enough information.”

Zak nodded, opening up the leatherbound booklet already on his desk, reading over the pages of his morning brief. “I must admit,” he began, turning to the next page of the brief. “that sounds far more plausible than the company blatantly destroying the environment.” Zak said, looking up from the booklet. “How much information was given to them?”

“Everything. We specifically and clearly told them exactly where to mine and where not to mine. We even recorded the conversation we had with their representatives. We never imagined that they would make such a careless mistake. They cost the taxpayers a lot of money because Dobycha refused to repair the damage they had done.”

Zak nodded, his eyes dropping back down to the brief. “Okay. We’ll need to get the transcripts and order forms. The Department of Justice will handle it, so just forward it to them. We’ll get Dobycha’s copies as well, be sure there wasn’t an error or anything.”

“Oh don’t worry, we recorded and kept detailed records of our dealings with Dobycha,” Cecilia replied. “However, we wonder if Dobycha will try to hide or lie.”

Zak shook his head. “Doubtful. They’ve been truthful since this mess started, not to mention they’re one of the highest respected corporations in the country.”

“I understand. That was why we had hired them. However, that didn’t seemed to be the case when they refused to repair the damage, even after we offered to pay them.”

Zak shrugged, shutting the booklet and looking back up at his Vulshainian counterparts. “I don’t know. Doesn’t sound like them.”

“Well, maybe they were embarrassed they had made such a careless mistake,” Taisyia added.

“Only they know,” Zak responded, standing up and stretching his arms, taking a look out the window before sitting back down.

“Well, you have to do something about the anti-Green Paw protests, as you probably saw that even I am a target of their aggression.”

Zak let out a sigh, rubbing his temples with his fingers. “Cecilia, I can’t. The police arrested your attackers, and they arrest anyone that causes issues.”

“I’m just saying that we need to be cautious and be prepared that’s all.”

“We are. That’s why police are all over the place in protest areas. I cannot stop the protests unless they present a danger to the people of this country, or to the national security of the country. They aren’t, so they won’t be stopped. They can’t be stopped, legally.”

OOC: Collab post between myself and Vulshain.

“So, what is our next course of action,” Cecilia asked.

“What do you mean,” Zak asked, eyes shifting to Cecilia.

“I was referring to the SITO summit.”

“Ah, okay. Well, we could wait for everything to calm down in that sector, unless there’s nothing more to talk about.”

“Not that I know of. I know Stu is probably worried sick about me,” Cecilia replied.

“I’m sure he’s gotten your messages. It’s likely he just hasn’t had the time to reply,” Zak said, playing with one of his pens.

“Yeah that’s a possibilty. So, I wonder if it is safe to hand back to the embassy or would you prefer I stay at the Wolfden?”

“Let me make a few phone calls,” Zak replied, reaching for the phone on his desk, and beginning to dial.

Cecilia and Taisyia waited.

Zak hung up the phone, turning his attention back to Cecilia and Taisyia. “There’s still protests around your embassy, but we can push through with vehicles, or fly you in. Up to you.”

“And about staying at the Wolfden?”

“I suppose you can stay if you’d like,” Zak replied.

“That would be good. I think after the excitement we had today, I need some rest.”

“I’ll have the guest room set up,” Zak began as he picked up the phone once again. “Okay, it’s being prepared.” Zak said with a smile, hanging up the phone.

“That’s good.”

“I know Stu will be glad to know that you’re okay, although you should probably let your wife know you’re okay as well,” Taisyia told Zak.

“Took care of that already - back in the parking garage,” Zak replied.

“That’s good. I guess we better get going now. I need to rest for a good bit.”

“One of the FSO agents will take you to the room - he’s probably waiting just outside.”

Cecilia nodded and got up and began looking for the FSO agent.

One of the FSO agents came forward once Cecilia was in the hall. “Right this way ma’am.”

“Thank you and thank you Zak for the help,” she said. Taisyia followed as well.

“No problem,” Zak and the agent replied, Zak returning to work as the FSO agent led them down the hallway to the guest room.

Cecilia and Taisyia thanked the guard and entered the guest room.

“So, I wonder if Stu will run in here asking if you’re okay,” Taisyia asked.

The room was held queen-sized bed sat towards the west wall, and a large hand-sewn rug sat in the middle. of the room. A table with two chairs sat on the rug, and a desk sat on the east wall. The guard gave the two women a nod before returning to his post.

Stu finally managed to get away from the office, and had made his way to the Wolfsden, avoiding protest areas. He made his way inside, looking around a bit before heading up to the guest room. “Cecilia? You in here?”

“Yes, sweetie, I’m here,” she answered. Taisyia was helping her change clothes. “Hi Stu,” Taisyia greeted him.

“Hi Taisyia.” Stu made his way into his room, hugging Cecilia tightly. “You okay?”

“Yeah, I’m okay. Except anti-Green Paw members trying to kill me,” she replied.

“I don’t think they’re trying to kill you, Cecilia,” Stu replied, pulling up a chair next to her.

“Yeah, well, they sure did try,” she answered.

“You’re alright now though, right?"

“Yes, I am. And you?”

“Yeah - I’m alright. I was able to avoid the protest areas - the electronic signs around the city helped direct me around them.”

“That’s good.” Cecilia sighed. “I’ll be glad when this is all over?”

Stu nodded. “I know. I don’t think Green Paw’s ever going to recover from this. At least not here in Laiatan.”

“Well, they might. You never know. I think once we get to the bottom of this, they’ll be able to recover. It’ll be slow going though.”

“It’s been imprinted in the people’s mind that they vandalized a mining facility, had a shootout with police, and pretty much framed a highly respected company here. I don’t foresee them coming back for several generations.”

“Well, they might start slow. I think they got some bad apples join, but now, they might just do conservation and educational projects and stay away from protests from now on. That might approve their image in Laiatan.”

“It’s definitely possible. They need to be careful if they want to return here."

“Well, at least you don’t hate them. I’m one of them remember,” she said, resting her head on her husband’s shoulder.

“I can’t say I approve of them, but I’m willing to accept you’re a member," Stu replied, his arm going around her.

“Well, they’re not all bad. Some of just well, overzealous.”

Stu nodded in understanding, rubbing her arm a bit.

“So, did Zak tell you about the spy we caught in Vulshain?”

“No, but I heard.”

“Well, apparently, he knows you. He even asked you by name.”

Stu nodded. “I know. Can’t say I remember him though.”

“Well, if you saw his face, you might remember him,” she said.

“It’s possible,” Stu replied. “I can’t leave, though. We’ll need to set up a phone call or video call.”

“We’ll see what we can do setting it up,” Cecilia said.

“And I’m sure Zak told you he wanted him back here in Laiatan.”

“We’re trying to see if we can get him back, but it might take a while. The doctors don’t think he should be moved just yet as he is still in pretty bad shape.”

“Understandable. We’ll get him back when he’s healthy enough.”

“That’s good to hear. So how was work?”

“Okay, I guess. It’s not fun cleaning up a mess you didn’t make.”

“I know…wait…are you referring to the incidents in Vulshain!?”

“I’m just saying it’s not fun to clean up other people’s messes.”

“Oh okay.” Cecilia mumbled something. “Anyhow, I’m sorry if I worried you when those protesters attacked us.”

“It’s alright. I know you’re safe now. That’s all that matters.”

“Thank you. Anyhow, how are your parents doing?”

“They’re good. Excited about becoming grandparents, enjoying retirement.”

“That’s good. I should visit them again soon.”

“We’ll see about driving up there again sometime, but for now, let’s be sure you relax."

“Thanks. What is your dad saying about all of this?”

“About time these crazy environmentalists are getting what they deserve.’ His words, not mine.”

Rolling her eyes, Cecilia sighed. “He does remember his daughter-in-law is an environmentalist?”

Stu nodded, laughing a bit. “Yeah.”

“Okay, just making sure. I don’t want him to demanding you divorce me or something like throwing a vase at my head.”

“He’s not going to do that,” Stu said with a laugh, nudging Cecilia.

“Yeah well, can’t blame me for being paranoid.”

Stu nodded, smiling a bit. “I know.”

“Anyhow, we better get some rest. I feel tired. I’ll be looking forward to when I’m not pregnant anymore. Although, it is nice to have you at my beck and call,” she said laughing.

Stu rolled his eyes, laughing a bit. “Yeah, okay.”

“So, what are our plans tomorrow besides find out who this spy is,” Taisyia asked.

Stu shrugged. “I go to work again.”

“Ah okay.”

“So that’ll be up to you two and Zak what happens tomorrow.”

“Okay well, goodnight, you two,” Cecilia said as she went straight to sleep. “She was worried about you,” Taisyia told her brother-in-law.

“I’m sure,” Stu replied as he looked over at his sleeping wife.

"This has been quite stressful to her. She snapped at the Secretary of Defense a few times. Zak had to help him separate the two of them before they strangled each other.

Stu sighed a bit, looking back at Taisyia. “She doesn’t need to be here. She should be home.”

“I know. She just wanted to make sure this meeting went well. I’ll try and talk to her about going home.”

“Alright, thank you,” Stu said with a smile.

Sam tapped a pen against the table as they awaited for them to set up the webcam so they all could find out why a Laiatanese intelligence agent had embarrassed his own country. They were at the SITO headquarters.

It didn’t take long for Zak and a few other members of government to join Sam in the conference room of the SITO headquarters. With Zak was the Secretary of Defense Alexander Chuikov, the Attorney General Artyom Goraya, Director of the AVR Skylar Postrnov, and Commandant of the Republican Guard Stewart Riskotov. The men sat down around the table, Zak turning on the webcam and monitor on the wall.

“Hello, is this thing on?” A Vulpine doctor said. “Ah, hello, Your Majesty and Mr. President. I’m Dr. Avir de Gaule. I must inform you that the patient is still weak from his blood loss. We fear that if he overexerts himself, we’ll have to sedate him.”

“We’ll keep it short and sweet then,” Zak replied, leaning forward against the table.

“Very well, then. Here he is.” The doctor moved out of the way, showing a lobo on a bed, bandaged up and with tubes up his nose and an IV in his arm. He weakly smiled and saluted as best he could. “Mr. President, sir, wish I was in better condition. Hey, Stu! You joker! How have you been?”

Stu began to speak, only to be cut off by Zak. “We’re going to keep this short and sweet, Agent Gennadiy. Director Postrnov,” Zak said, looking over towards the director. “Agent Gennadiy, what was your reasoning for leaving your post during service hours?”

“I got some message from AVR telling me that I was supposed to link up with some other agents in a black ops mission concerning some sort of terrorist group that was planning on damaging relations between Vulshain and Laiatan. I thought it was weird and even my superior thought so too, but he checked it out and everything was clear. So, we didn’t think any more about it.”

“We sent no message to your safe house regarding anything of that sort. It wasn’t suspicious that the message told you to go - considering you are a housekeeper, and not one of our S.A.D operatives?”

“Yeah, we thought so too, but it had checked out. Everything was okay. I swear to the Den Mother we checked everything.”

Postrnov nodded as Goraya wrote down notes. “And your commanding officer is Rasim Illyushin, correct?”

“Yes sir.”

“And he ordered you to follow through with the orders? Who checked them for authenticity?”

“He called to doublecheck the orders. Someone named Osanne Edmee Lucille verified them. She even sent the damn papers via email. They checked out.”

Sam’s ears perked up. “Did you say…Osanne Edmee Lucille?”

“Yes, why?”

“Osanne Edmee Lucille was an intelligence officer under Rivers who died when Vulshain was liberated during the Monarchical Revolution.”

Gennadiy’s eyes widened. “No…no…no…no! Are you saying that I’ve been set up???” A doctor called out. “Mr. Gennadiy please calm down.”

The lobo began to calm down some. “I’m calm…I’m calm…I’m calm…”

“Agent Gennadiy, this person is not a member of our intelligence agency. From our end it appears you were given false orders that somehow checked out. This will go under further investigation, but I can say now you will not be facing prosecution here in Laiatan,” Goraya began, looking over his notes. “However this ‘Osanne Edmee Lucille’ will be facing federal charges, and your superior has already been placed into custody under suspicion of having a connection with this.”

“I swear we’ve been set up. I’ve known Illyushin for a long time. No way in hell he would be mixed up with this shit.”

Sam asked. “When did you realize that something was amiss?”

Goraya nodded. “We still have to investigate everything.”

“Well, the other agents weren’t ones who I knew. They looked more like mercs or hired thugs than AVR agents. I was given my stuff for the mission. We broke into some office building. While I was looking at the papers and files, I saw that they were blueprints for Vulshainian military projects and even some transcripts of a meeting between Dobycha officials and Vulshainian governmental officials. Apparently, Dobycha demanded that Vulshain get rid of the union SOBs or else. Vulshain told them no, and Dobycha stormed out. I never heard Dobycha being so…aggressive against unions. I even found documents showing that Dobycha had intimidated some union members as well as Dobycha demanding to be allowed to dig in some restricted area, but they weren’t allowed to. They said that they didn’t give a damn about some black bark trees and birds or something.”

Sam leaned over to Zak, “The blackbark pines are very rare and the home to the blackbark wren. We had just gotten off the endangered species list…then Dobycha messed things up and now the blackbark wren is now critically endangered, when before they were just threatened.”

The agent continued. “Then I heard something and went to see what was going on. I caught the other agents trying to rape a Vulshainian. When I demanded to know what the hell was going on, I guess during the struggle, I got shot. And I remember being tossed down some stairs. Then, when I wake up I found myself in a hospital bed with a charge for committing episonage against Vulshain hanging over my head! I swear I was set up!”

“Don’t you worry about that, we’ll get you back home safe and sound,” Zak replied, leaning back in his chair. “We’re going to figure this mess out and have everyone responsible charged accordingly.”

Sam sighed as he checked the time again. “Does Zak realize that he’s now fourteen minutes late,” he said. The video footage was showing the rescue effort was slow and with the area unstable, it would take forever for them to reach the miners.

A few minutes later, Zak walked into the conference room flanked by FSO agents, taking his seat across from Sam.

“You know you’re late,” Sam said with a smirk.

“Interesting way to say hello,” Zak retorted, an annoyed look spread across his features.

“Sorry. Just trying to lighten the mood some. Didn’t work it seems,” Sam replied. “I understand your frustration Zak, but from what I saw, things are spiraling out of hand here. I’m willing to help you out. I’m not asking for anything in return.”

“How would you propose you assist? Move quickly with hunks of metal that weighs tons into an unstable area? Thank you Sam, but my country can take care of itself.”

Sighing, Sam replied, “Zak, look. The Golems are designed to work in unstable areas. They come in various types. We have an all-terrain version, designed specifically for situations like this. Besides, you have to remember one of your nation’s companies was the one who put those miners in danger.”

Holding up a hand Sam continued, “I’m not blaming you or anything. The thing to focus on is saving those miners.”

“We’re working on it. Like I said, our people can handle our own.”

Sam rubbed his temples. “Zak, look it’s not going to hurt you to accept our help. In St. Aiya’s name, lives are at stake.”

Zak sighed, looking up at the TV monitor before standing. “One. You send one.”

Sam nodded. He dialed a number. “Yeah. Send in the Golem. Yes, Golem. Not Golems. But keep the others at ready just in case.” As he hung up, the vulpine said, “The plane will be arriving here just before midnight.”

Zak nodded, hands clasping behind his back and walking over to peer out the window, a few clouds in the relatively bright blue sky. “Thank you.”

“Of course, I never said that the Golem was coming here. It’ll drop nearby the mining site and immediately start working as soon as it lands,” Sam said with a smirk. “And you’re welcome.”

“I know what you meant," Zak said following a short laugh, turning. “So, what else do we have on the agenda?”

“Well besides that, and although I think two Golems would be better, we have to work on the situation with Vekaiyu and Listonia. As you know Listonia is going down hill fast. Although, I’m a bit worried about Vekaiyu. Vekaiyu as you know has a set of anti-aircraft anti-missile laser defense systems around…” He checked his notes before he continued, “…well almost all of their major cities. Several of my military advisors are suggesting we work on some sort of counter to that, just in case. Personally, I don’t want to start something, but as you recall we do have those super-weapons that we mentioned before.”

“I will not have my armed forces strike any Vekaiyun targets - that’s asking for trouble.”

“I’m not saying we need to attack them, but we need to figure out something to impress the Vekaiyuns. We do have those mechs we want to show you. Maybe we could invite them and show them as well. We have made some amazing discoveries. I know that you don’t think much of mechs, but exosuits and mechs are believed by many experts to be the next step in the evolution of military technology and warfare. Besides, our new laser technology might also be as advanced as Vekaiyu’s. Although…the East Malaysian government has asked Vulshain to look at some tech they believed that Laiatan acquired from salvaged Rygardi tech. I told them I would ask you and get back with them as soon as possible.”

“I don’t think it’s the best idea to show off military advancements to a nation like Vekaiyu. And I’ll have to look into that, give me some time with the tech.”

“I understand. Also, I want to talk about repairing our relations between us. This whole mess has left a bad taste in everyone’s mouths. We got protests outside your embassy calling Laiatan a nation of nature-haters and corporate pawns. Yeah, there was an effigy of you as a pawn by the way,” Sam added.

Zak sort of shrugged it off. “They’re free to speak their minds. But I do agree, this situation has caused quite a bit of hurt relations - several lawmakers are calling for us to back out of the SITO treaty.”

“Same on our side.” Sam leaned back in his chair. “I think a tour of each other’s nations is one idea that might help.”

Zak shook his head. “That may be too time consuming - what about our international rail line?”

“There’s that too. We just need to drive the final two spikes in. I was thinking I drive the spike on Laiatan’s side while you drive in the one on Vulshain’s side. To symbolize peace and friendship or something along those lines.”

“We need to drive in our own nation’s spikes - the finishing of the line can symbolize the unity and friendship.”

“That works,” Sam replied. “You got any other ideas?”

“None that I can think of - we could probably do the tour, but make it short. I don’t believe I’ve visited all of Vulshain."

“That’s right, you can visit the places you haven’t been. You might even visit Stu’s castle.”

“Ah, that’s right,” Zak said, memory returning. “That could likely be arranged, but we should focus on public and important areas.”

“Indeed. You take a tour of the Thanos Gate Prison and give a speech. Also, you could tour the Klinwell Chateau, where the Treaty of Fabinélie was signed that ended the Five-Year War between us. And then there’s the Aviation Armed Forces Academy located in Cathican. You also visit Volokifan, the capital of Vulshain’s film industry.”

Zak nodded, returning to his seat and leaning back. “That works. I’ll have my people call your people.”

“Good. Anything else,” he asked. “We need to work on some other things like trade and the pipeline.”

“We’ve already expanded oil trade with you via tankers, but we should be able to get it to you quicker once that pipeline’s done.”

“Got to be careful so that the pipeline doesn’t cross into any protected areas,” Sam said. “But from what I’ve seen of the company that’s doing it, I don’t think I got to worry about that.”

“You won’t,” Zak replied, pulling out a folder and looking through some papers. “We’re just about done with it.”

“That’s good. Anything else?”

Zak shook his head, returning the files to their spots in the folder. “None that I can think of.”

“Well, I’m drawing a blank.” Sam checked his phone. “Seems the Golem arrived early.” He smiled at the scene on the news as the all-terrain Golem mech began to work as soon as it landed. It was able to easily move around trouble spots in the area and began to clear rubble, rocks, and debris faster than all of the rescue workers combined. It easily and effortlessly sidestepped a small landslide, while diverting the slide to a safer area. Well, it was small to the Golem but quite big for the rescuers. However, Sam could see on the faces of the Laiatanese that they didn’t know what to make of the mech.