Forum on Canadian Law and Politics

One of the duties of the esteemed role of Holder is to facilitate intelligent discussion and to disseminate various points of knowledge. As a Canadian Political Science student and working in the field if law, I do feel it in my specially particular ability to educate citizens on these topics.

A potential source of action in the university is a ‘Q&A’ section and this is what I would like to implement in this thread. If there are any questions on Canadian Policy or Politics, these will be duly answered. With references for further reading, if possible. Once in a while a question may be posed students, or other suggestions may be posted. Sometimes a ‘fun fact’ will be posted for the entertainment of those unfamiliar with the Canadian Political systems.

I await your inquiries!

A reference sheet will be generated with key terms of Canadian politics listed. Alternatively, use google.

For now, take this handy summary!

** Canada is a former British colony which still recognizes Queen Elizabeth II as it’s sovereign (monarch). As a democracy, Canada has a bicameral (two-housed) legislature. The houses are called the ‘House of Commons’ and the '‘Senate’.
Canada’s Prime Minister is the head of Government, and appoints the Head of State, the Governor General which is te Queen’s representative in Canada.
Canada is a Federal system with territories and provinces, the provinces having legislatures with defined powers. The leader of the Provincial legislature is called the Premier.

Elections in Canada are First-past-the-post (fptp) meaning that the candidate in a specific riding/constituency which gains the plurality (most, not necessarily majority) is elected. **