Foundations of the Roleplayers' Athenaeum of Insight and Development

Guten Tag!

As the bestest East Pacific was first known as the thriving roleplaying community of NationStates from past and still in the present, it surprised me to learn that, despite years of lore built into our universe by our numerous community, we lacked a proper place of information for new or old roleplayers to fall back on besides bits and pieces here and there. Therefore, I wanted to start up a little place called the Roleplayers’ Athenaeum of Insight and Development. It’s purpose would be to house information on a wide range of topics collected and organized by our community members. From Economics and Geography to Writing Characters or Naming Generators, such information can be gathered from a handful of forms such as articles, guides, videos, .pdf’s, posts on tumblr, and so much more! Not to mention that, should our online sources become deleted/unavailable to view, our Athenaeum would keep a backup version to prevent the loss of valuable information.

For now, I want this thread to serve only as a place to gather up resources and answer potential questions about the Athenaeum. Therefore, I ask any and all roleplayers to post all of your resources onto this thread to enrich our collective knowledge and refine our roleplaying environment!

I’ll start off with some general tips and work up to more nuanced writing and development advice later down the line. For now, I think its important to introduce things with etiquette and out-of-character things. Keep in mind most of these aren’t of my own design; they’re just what I’ve picked up over the years.

1. Communicate with your peers

You won’t get anything done alone. Roleplay is a community experience first and foremost, so you need to be considerate of those you play with. Regular checkups on other people are a good way for everyone to determine what they enjoy about the story and to focus on developing those areas more. Similarly, if you have any issues with the way someone is writing or acting, it’s better you take the time to speak with them and address the issue rather than stewing over it and letting things get work.

It’s also important to give good feedback if others are trying to get your opinion on something. Answering “I don’t know” or “I’ll think about it” generally doesn’t help anybody, so at least take some time to try and give an answer. If you honestly can’t, let the other person know and ensure you give the issue at hand some thought - have them remind you if need be. If things progress later on in a way that you don’t approve of, you should remember you had an opportunity to give input but disregarded it.

1. Plans aren’t everything

In life, no plan survives contact with the enemy - whether that enemy is a soldier on a battlefield or a midterm exam. Even if you talk with the other people in your roleplay about how everyone can enjoy it, its inevitable things won’t proceed as optimally as they could on paper. Be prepared to make concessions and compromises among the participants, and especially keep in mind that nobody is a mind-reader. You may have a carefully planned story arc for a particular character, and have anticipated five different ways you can adapt other peoples actions to get that perfect story. But there aren’t only five ways for roleplay to happen. If you outline your intentions in broad strokes and avoid getting bogged down in the details, you’ll be able to use unexpected circumstances to still develop a compelling story.

1. Waiting never works

Despite what you may think, waiting for the next person to post in a thread won’t help you consider your next move. If you want the plot to come to your characters, you’re probably better off playing a video game. In text-based communal roleplay, its important to let the characters influence the story - or at least how the reader perceives the story. You should constantly be thinking about the nuances of your characters and how the overarching storyline can influence these characters to do things. After posting your latest contribution to the roleplay, try developing what your characters might say and do next, that way you can adapt their personalities to whatever situation they find themselves in. Constantly putting off story development simply because one player hasn’t made their scheduled post is all but asking for the roleplay to stagnate and die.

Of course, sometimes it can be inevitable that you can’t progress without outside input. Whatever the reason, try and reach out to the others in your group to find out how you can move on without the piece of information or story you’re missing. If it’s just you and one other, try and encourage them to pick up their activity. Coaching them or planning their next post together might help the process along faster. If they’ve genuinely lost interest, try reaching out to other members of the community to pick up the slack. A stalled trade deal with one country might become a profitable enterprise with another.

Don’t be afraid to get involved yourself if no-one has addressed you directly. Signing up for a thread and not contributing won’t paint you in a good light for the other participants. If players are willing to carve their own place among the narrative on their own initiative, they’re more likely to be asked to participate in other stories that someone who simply tags along and never contributes except when asked.

1. Responsibility is everything

It’s a fact of life that we lose interest in things from time to time, and prioritize other activities. However, if you have committed to a story or position, it’s important that you acknowledge that commitment. Leaving the entire creative direction of a roleplay to one person should only happen if they are hosting a long-term event or other such controlled environment. One player should not be in charge because the rest aren’t interested.

This apply not only to conduct, but to the content of your roleplay itself. The concept of Chekhov’s Gun applies here: if your character does something, you must be prepared to describe what they are doing, in detail. Other players may think and write in ways you don’t anticipate or intend them to; they may very well envision your dark and bookshelf-filled office to be light, modern, and full of windows because you didn’t describe it other than ‘an office.’ Allowing other players to get an idea of your intentions for your characters and the world they live in will allow everyone to build a more cohesive and understandable story.

Apologies for taking too long to begin filling up the Athenaeum with knowledge, but as I am now on 3-week break, I can finally begin to properly fill up resources that can be useful for everyone. It should be noted that each resource added is intended to inform and enlighten Roleplayers seeking specific information on a wide range of matters, and as such, information provided may be inaccurate until corrected and are not intended to offend.

The first resource placed down is a master list from Tumblr that contains many useful bits of ‘sketchy’ knowledge ranging from criminal activity and crimes to writing characters with personality/mental disorders to even Black Market prices for illegal goods.

As some of the pages have expired/deleted, I have used the handy Wayback Machine to retrieve lost information for the following links:

Medical Facts and Tips for your Writing: Medical facts and tips for your writing needs | Erin's Mind

How to portray someone with dyslexia: https://web.archive.org/web/20140713063844/http://lavrenjauregui.tumblr.com/post/48820425465/how-to-portray-someone-with-dyslexia-dyslexia

Portraying a character with severe depression: dirty pop

Writing a character with depression: Fortune Favors The Brave, Dude., Tips on writing someone with depression ...

Writing a character who suffers from Night terrors: https://web.archive.org/web/20151117204657/http://jehanprouvaires.tumblr.com/post/37658516015/how-to-write-a-character-with-night-terrors

Writing a character with paranoid personality disorder: starshine

Writing a character who self-harms: https://web.archive.org/web/20140713054857/https://destinae.tumblr.com/post/38202497038/writing-a-character-who-cuts-take-note-i-do

It should be noted that the following links, even with the Wayback Machine, remain lost in time:

Playing a rebellious Character
How to play a stoner
Portraying a character who is antisocial
Writing a character with schizophrenia.
How to play a mentally ill/insane character.
Portraying a character who is high.
Portraying characters who have secrets.
How to play someone creepy.

Another Masterlist from Tumblr reflects over how a dystopian world would function, what life in an apocalyptic future would be like, and more resources to build a world around a apocalypse.

As some of the pages have expired/deleted, I have used the handy Wayback Machine to retrieve lost information for the following links:

Tips for writing blood loss: Aluminum Foiled My Plans | Here are some scientific facts about blood loss...

The Writers’ Forensic Blog: The Writer's Forensics Blog | Forensic Comments For Writers from D. P. Lyle, MD   (May need the Wayback Machine to navigate)

Poisonous Herbs and Plants: https://web.archive.org/web/20150301170823/http://thesteadyflame.tumblr.com/post/97307551917

(Link for the Part One of Poisonous Herbs and Plants: The Writing Café)

The Five Foundations of Worldbuilding: Five Foundations of World-building - Malinda Lo

It should be noted that the following links, even with the Wayback Machine, remain lost in time:

BioMedNet
Phys

That’s all for now, although do expect two more masterlists tomorrow!

I come bearing a resource as well!

A guide to naval combat. Link here:

Credit to Angel Of Charity who showed this to me.