Fun in The Kivreskov (legislature)

You can thank the growing irredentist policies of Ikrisia Levinile for this one. At least, that’s what Ankyela Iskoliyey felt after a meeting with like-minded Progressive Party individuals, individuals who believed the Vekaiyun state had quite enough of this sharing of cultures and unionizing themselves with lesser nations. It was, in her view, an attempt to water-down the Vekaiyun ideal and the Vekaiyun way of life.

Despite being the leader of the growing rift in the dominant Progressive Party, her position was both one of strength and one of weakness. Indeed, rumors were abound with the party fracturing in half and therefore losing its iron grip on Vekaiyun policies. No one exactly knew which side would win out in an election. But, she was elected from a staunchly Progressive district - Provinsk. And calling out one’s own province for watering down the Vekaiyun culture did not bode well for her prospects. So she walked a fine line in the confusing game that was Vekaiyun politics.

At least she looked like she was from Provinsk. After all, she grew up there. Her fur was a bright red and white, contrasting her hair, combed straight down with streaks of purple - beet dye - a fashion statement popular these days back home. Her pinstripe suit went will with her small glasses, which she routinely removed for extra emphasis when she had the floor.

“Viktor,” she said with a nod as she passed her fellow party member in the hall. The golden sun shined through the elongated windows of the The Vekaiyun Peoples’ Hall, where the legislature gathered in Eldura, casting dark shadows across the hallway as the afternoon slowly gave way to the evening. Viktor was Viktor Imusre - a member of the Progressive Party and pretty much the antithesis of her beliefs.

Viktor also contrasted her looks. Despite being about the same age as she was, he appeared a bit older, perhaps out of place in his black suit with white trim, which looked to be about two sizes too big on him. His hair was uncombed and seemed to stick up in spots like sticks in the mud. Despite his appearance, the people liked him, and he was not in danger of losing his spot next election, so far, at least. Between the two of them, they represented the polar opposites of the great Progressive Party - opposites so great that it wouldn’t be a stretch to assume the party was really two parties combined into one.

“Ah, Ankyela,” he said matter-of-factly as he walked alongside her. “You seem to be very busy these days with meetings and deliberations here and there… it’s a bit interesting that I’m not really invited to half of these meetings, I’ve noticed.”

“There are dozens of smaller sub-committees. You wouldn’t be invited to all of them, I guess.”

“Yeah, but they’re definitely not just random sub-committees. I notice those attendance sheets. They’re… kind of the extreme side of our party.”

“Not of my party,” she replied.

“Oh yeah! But what is your party? Is it the Progressive Party, the party that sides with the Premier?”

“You know very well she refuses to pick a party! Besides, I think it is wrong to ascribe an ideology to our beloved Premier. Why, just yesterday I read in the paper that she took over more territory because she happened to visit a rest stop there one time three years ago. Why, that’s certainly enough justification to water down the Vekaiyun way of life, you know, by absorbing a lesser culture.”

Viktor shrugged. “That’s what you think. I believe the Vekaiyun culture is robust and should be shared to all. I mean, if they want it.” He paused and greeted a staffer as they continued to walk. “It’s not like Dveria would readily accept our culture. We kind of had to let them do their thing.”

“Because killing vulpines is an acceptable culture.”

“Well, no… but because they’d revolt if we forced them to be a part of ours.”

“Any culture that advocates wanton destruction of another culture is a lesser culture that should never be a part of this Union. We don’t need them to join our ranks. They need to accept our culture and our way of life.”

“And what if they don’t?”

She shrugged, emulating his shrug from moments before. “Then they lose. Cultures come and cultures go. It’s not our duty to ensure their identity survives; rather, public opinion will choose which culture survives and which fades.”

“I just think it’s the best way to prevent war. The best way to increase Vekaiyun influence. The best way…”

“The best way to increase Vekaiyun influence is by maintaining our culture and ideals!” she poked a finger on his chest as they stopped walking. “We are stretching ourselves as a nation. And by doing so, we leave ourselves vulnerable to lesser influences. They’re not needed! Especially considering we can barely rope in that disaster of a state Listonia. We would be much better off if we weren’t feeding them by this Union!”

Viktor rolled his eyes. “And when’s the last time you’ve heard Unionian spoken freely in Dveria? Eh?”

“Who cares! Codexian is slowly being adopted in our district in Provinsk! We traded our own identity and for what? To get a bunch of haters to speak our language?”

“But they’re no longer a threat!”

“They’re a forever drain on our resources!” By now others have stopped to listen what the two were speaking about. “We station troops there and install leaders to keep the peace, but don’t be foolish - we know it is only temporary!”

“I think you underestimate Vekaiyun superiority,” Viktor muttered grimly. “If those Dverians had taken Vekaiyun lands, they’d kill every one of us. But us, we are able to forgive. We are able to rise above it. We are able to be the protectors of their lands, indeed, even the entire continent.”

“That notion is garbage! If we stretch ourselves out too far, we lose our identity, and the more we accept their cultures and their hatred, the more we lose ourselves in the process! We’re a majority-vulpine nation! We are designed to be such! We do not need Dverians under the Vekaiyun banner!”

“But they need us.”

She appeared flabergasted. “Well then. Luckily this is a debate among two people. Perhaps we will need to figure out what exactly the Vekaiyun people believe is the correct choice.”

He smiled. “I like that plan.”

Caucus Room B, Vekaiyun Peoples’ Hall

Ankyela Iskoliyey took to the podium in a room that had a small yet significant gathering of like-minded Vekaiyun Progressive Party members - 9 Ileskarians and 81 Ropkians. Their numbers were now large enough to remove the Progressive Party’s majority vote.

“Vekaiyun servants from far and wide, I thank you for joining us in what will become a series of meetings discussing the formation of a party to rival that of the Progressive Party. We initially came together as a group in 2010 and had similar, positive ideas - optimize education and technology, strengthen our armed forces, private ownership, the likes. We hold true to those values. But along the way we began to divert. The party quickly became focused on the whims of the Premier. This incorporation of past hostile territory has been most alarming. Have we forgotten the past injustices against our people at the hands of the Dverians? Have we forgotten the war we fought with Listonia four years ago? And now they pull us back into conflict. As we expand, we water ourselves down. We do not conquer, we absorb. And when we absorb, we become diluted. The Vekaiyun ideal becomes less important, and our culture becomes secondary.”

“As Vekaiyuns with a rich, proud history, we cannot, indeed will not sit idle and allow this to happen. We must enrich the world with our culture, not the other way around. The world should be learning Unonian, and not Codexian! If our military is stationed in a country, they should assimilate to our culture, our ideas, our beliefs, and our language. If they fail to do so, they are aliens in a Vekaiyified nation and no longer have a place in our union. Yes, union. Unfortunately there is not much we can do about that. But we must protect our backyard. Install more military support and subject them to the fullest extent of Vekaiyification. Our nation is a testament to the world that we are indeed more civilized. We must therefore unleash this privilege upon everyone else!”

She smiled, her arms slightly tired from all the gesticulating she had been doing. “We have lofty goals. But Vekaiyu is a nation of lofty goals, hopes, and dreams. Our party hopes to make some of those realities.”

She gestured over to an aid holding a rope. When he pulled, two flags unfurled:

http://i63.tinypic.com/2zpqg05.jpghttp://i65.tinypic.com/2e246s4.jpg
“The first flag is, of course, the flag of the Vekaiyun Progressive Party. We all know that flag rather well. The flag to the right is the proposed new flag of the Vekaiyun Conservative Party, using the proposed name of the Vekaiyun Nationalist Party. The Vekaiyun star is in front of an image of a gear - the symbol of Vekaiyun endurance. Indeed, our culture will endure in our party. The star is framed with rising Vekaiyun colors as we ascend upward and move forward.”

Murmers and muttering from the delegation could be heard. “Upon the conclusion of these series of meetings, we will announce the formation of the party. I realize this may be unwise to do before elections, but we must be honest with the people and determine exactly where they stand, otherwise we are only kidding ourselves. I also realize that I may not win my own district. Some sacrifices are necessary. If I fall, we will elect another to take my place.” She smiled. “I don’t plan on going down so easily, though. And nor should any of us. We will fight for Vekaiyu and fight for our undying culture. Now, let us unite and finalize our drafts!”

She continued to smile as the delegation applauded in approval.

“Enter.”

Ankyela Iskoliyey stepped into a fairly large office, strangely decorated with glistening white marbled walls, a black marbled ceiling and a black marbled floor, all illuminated by fluorescent lighting dousing the confines from slits in the ceiling. The desk, also constructed of black marble (though with white and gray striations), housed neat stacks of paper and a glowing red keyboard projected on the desk, no doubt for a holographic computer so common in Vekaiyu these days. Sitting at a chrome and leather office chair was Ikrisia Levinile, Premier of Vekaiyu, dressed in her typical uniform.

“Ah, thank you Premier Levinile for seeing my on such short notice,” Iskoliyey adeed. Her heels clicked against the floor as she made her way to another chrome and leather chair. She pulled it slowly, slow enough to not make a noise of it, and carefully sat down. “Your office in the Vekaiyun Peoples’ Hall is certainly impressive.”

“Mmn. Yes. Your purpose for this visit was not clearly stated, but I granted it anyway.”

“Ah yes. By now you have heard of the formation of the Vekaiyun Conservative Party, I assume.” She smiled. “Elections are fast approaching the Kivreskov, and our party could use a particular boost from a… respected member of our nation such as yourself. Doing so would ensure greater balance in the Kivreskov, and would certainly ensure complete representation of Vekaiyuns.”

Ikrisia raised her eyebrows and flashed a painted smirk as she switched off her keyboard. She folded her hands in front of her and looked over at the Ropkite as if to say her attention had been roused. “I am unaffiliated with any Vekaiyun Political Party. The Kivreskov is to do its job and not be a stumbling block to the Vekaiyun people or the necessary changes therein. So no. I will not endorse your party or any party. I operate independently of such banners. The only banner I operate under is this one.” She pointed to Vekaiyun flag embroidered on her blazer.

“Surely there is something you can do to show solidarity with the Vekaiyun culture,” she begged.

Ikrisia smiled. “My solidarity is demonstrated by not picking a side in this insignificant conflict.”

“Insignificant?” Iskoliyey repeated. “This is not insignificant! This is a matter of protecting our culture as a nation! Do we accept our culture becoming watered-down by other cultures, or do we take a stand, recognize our importance in this world, and seat our culture as most important in our lives and the world around us?”

“You are going to extremes,” Ikrisia snapped. “This issue is not black-and-white, as you seem to indicate. It is delicate with many different facets. So, what is your point? If we do not elect a group of your ilk, the Vekaiyun culture is doomed? Have some faith, Ankya. There is a reason our national anthem is Eternal Vekaiyu. We will never be brought to our knees.”

“How can you be so sure of that? It’s not like you’ve hit the mark on every occasion. People… still refer to you as the Butcher of Eldura.”

Ikrisia leaned back in her seat. “Alas, the true emotions surface. Don’t paint me a fool, Ankya. I have listened to your speeches and read your words. As long as you own those words, I have no problem with what you say. But be aware - such words have consequences.”

“Is that a threat?”

“You would know if I was threatening you, Ankya. I do not profit from threatening my own countrymen. Nevertheless, I wish you and your newly-formed party all the best. May you find significance in your journey.” Ikrisia motioned to the door. “Now, if you will excuse me, I have a nation to run. You… have fun with your elections. I look forward to working with… whoever the victor may be.”

Ankya Iskoliyey looked at Ikrisia sternly, then stood up to leave.

“Good luck,” Ikrisia replied. “And… don’t count that as an endorsement. It certainly is not.”

— Begin quote from ____

FROM THE DESK OF ANKYELA ISKOLIYEY

Members of the Vekaiyun Conservative Party,

I thank you for your time and effort in putting this party together on such short notice. While we did not have the luxury of establishing a base for several years, I am confident that our efforts will lead to important breakthroughs during our next three year term. It has been very trying to ensure that a Vekaiyun Conservative member will run in every district in the upcoming election, and the support has been nothing short of tremendous.

I cannot guarantee any degree of success, but in 24 hours, we will know where we stand. If we gain a dozen seats, so be it. We will work with that and move forward. In the meantime, let’s keep watch on the voting counts and act accordingly.

That’s all I have for now. Here we are, rock you like a hurricane.

• Ankyela Iskoliyey

— End quote

It was a rather peaceful night for September in Eldura, but the night was particularly serene at the residency of Ankyela Iskoliyey - the older second story apartment complete with wooden floors and a fireplace in the main room with partially vaulted ceilings allowed for excellent acoustics. Naturally, she took advantage of this feature any chance she could, and routinely played older lp records of various Vekaiyun folk songs. This particular nights flavor? The dulcet strums of a guitar as a woman sang of their child growing up one day to go off into battle and defend the homeland that was Vekaiyu. It was a beautiful song, for what it was worth, as it presented a quandary to the cantor - while she would long for the absence of their child, her bitter tears mattered not when it came to him serving his people and doing his duty - fighting across the Listonian steppe and to the gates of Dveria.

— Begin quote from ____

FROM THE DESK OF ANKYELA ISKOLIYEY

Premier Levinile,

I look forward to working with you in the coming years, and I hope we are able to work with a better understanding of our desires and our values. My announcement concerning reparations from Allegheny was not in vain; I and my party plan to bring this issue up in the legislature, where we will determine consequences that are fair and just as per our investigation and the statistics independent bodies will publish.

With that in mind, is there anything you wish for us to include in this? I am rather open and only want justice served. We will not rule out the possibility of incorporation into the Vekaiyun Union, but as that remains a gray area with respect to our cultures, we would of course require more clarification into the union and what the inclusion of another human-dominant nation would mean.

I look forward to your response, of course.

Warm regards,

• Ankyela Iskoliyey

— End quote