Fun with ultimatums!

In the SEPC’s Security Council, a proposal to send an ultimatum to NAR passed 3-1. Attached is the ultimatum.

Premier and General Secretary Viktor Drugov sipped a small glass of wodka as he read excerpts from The Collection. Though always careful to not drink it overmuch, he still treated himself to a glass every so often.

The day was beautiful, with a handful of clouds gracing the sky. The sea, too, was unnaturally calm, as if waiting patiently for some unseen signal. But Drugov did not match the day’s mood.

As anticipated, Chairman and Minister Rurik Lukin politely knocked on the door. “General Secretary?”

“Come in, Rurik.” Drugov slowly removed his reading glasses and set down the excerpts.

The minister slowly walked into the room. His eyes held a certain disappointment in them. “The ultimatum that our General Molotov voted against issuing has been officially declared.”

“The terms aren’t too drastic, I hope?”

“Thankfully not. May I sit?” After Drugov gave assent, Rurik slowly eased into a nearby chair. “Only an apology, some threatening against further violations, paying Adumara a fee… I have a copy with me.” He carefully tossed a sheet of paper onto the table.

Drugov slid his reading glasses back into place and looked over the document. “This NAR seems harmless enough. I’m not convinced that troops would be necessary. But then again,” he glanced at Rurik over his glasses, “I can appreciate a certain amount of caution.”

Rurik nodded. “It seems that all we need do is sit back and watch, for now.”

The General Secretary set the paper aside. “Indeed. Unless, of course, the terms are not fulfilled by the 16th.”

“What then?” The minister raised an eyebrow.

“Then you, Anatoly and I are going to have a very serious discussion. Thank you for bringing this,” he gestured to the document, “to me. Also, please thank General Molotov for his vote.”

Rurik rose slowly. “Very well. Am I dismissed?”

Drugov nodded assent. As Rurik left, the General Secretary returned to leafing through The Collection. As he was doing so, the sunlight streaming through the window darkened slightly. Noticing this, he glanced out the window, only to see that a single, dark cloud had moved in front of the sun.

Mario Capuzzi entered the throne room and bowed to King Calvin the I respectfully. King Calvin, skimming the paper quickly, looked over his glasses and nodded.

After Mario took a seat, his Majesty started conversations. “I see that we’re in the ultimatum.”

“Indeed, Your Highness. I had the honor of signing the declaration.”

“Hm.” King Calvin looked at the document again. “And the New American Republic was looking for their plane?”

“Yes, sir. However, they didn’t tell Adumara, so we have to take punitive actions.”

“I don’t see 5 members.”

“Well, Emberwood Coast’s representative couldn’t be there at a short notice, so I was summoned. General Molotov of Stratarin opted not to sign it.”

“You do realize, that this could potentially put us in another Four Day’s War situation? One that would actually put us into fighting?”

“I do understand, sir,” Mario admitted, curtly.

There was a knock at the door. Senior Intelligence Officer Antonin Espenson walked in and bowed, and placed a manila folder on the table. He walked back silently, never turning his back, and bowed again, then left.

After a count of five, King Calvin opened the folder, and his eyebrows raised slightly.

“Just…how many nations?”

Mario could not answer that. He could only think that this would not be so easy after all.

OOC: A short break from my duties. This is probably the only post I’ll make today.

RIRIRIRIRING! RIRIRIRIRIRING!

Prime Minister James Stevenson picked up his phone. “Hello, this is the Prime Minister speaking.”

On the other end of the line was Tretrid’s envoy to the SEPC, Catherine Thompson. “Hello, sir. I’m here to discuss with you an ultimatum the SEPC sent.”

Stevenson paled. He knew that, if the SEPC had to send an ultimatum, something serious must have happened. Let’s see, the situation in Laitianburg, the insurgents in Adumara… “What is it?” He sipped his coffee.

“Have you heard of the search the New American Republic conducted in Adumara? Some nations got concerned, said it was a violation of their sovereignty. Some nations, including Asendavia, even wanted war.”

Stevenson almost spat out his coffee. He slowly swallowed the drink. “Some nations… what?”

Thompson repeated what she said, and then added, “When we were considering the situation in the SEPC Security Council meeting, it seemed like Mr. Mang was feeling hawkish. Kept shouting for war before we calmed him.” (Kilo Mang was the Setznan ambassador to the Coalition, and was in charge of the Council in wake of the Emberite ambassador’s absence.)

Stevenson replied, "Well, that happened. Anything we can do now?

Thompson replied, “I can email you a copy of the ultimatum.”

“Do that.”

Thompson hung up. CLICK

A few seconds later, an email appeared in the Prime Minister’s inbox. Attached was the ultimatum.

He noted Condition Four and Consequence 3. Sending troops to NAR sounds plenty hawkish to me. I wonder if the NAR could accept the fourth condition, as it can be interpreted as invasion in a way.

Defense Minister Kyle Johnson had just walked out (in an unrelated thread) when SEPC representative Catherine Thompson walked in. “Have you noticed how overdue the ultimatum to the New American Republic is?”

Thankfully, Stevenson was not sipping coffee. But he still had a double-take. “Oh no. Oh no oh no oh no.”

“Well, it’s been 10 days since the ultimatum expired. What do you think will happen now?”

Stevenson grimaced. “I guess we’ll have to wait and see.”