Furthering Relations

Sam sighed as he rubbed his eyes. Being the monarch of an entire nation like Vulshain wasn’t easy, and whoever said that it was needed to be shot by a firing squad.

“Ms. Ernestine,” the Vulshainian king said over radio.

“Yes, Your Majesty,” the king’s secretary asked in reply.

“Have the arrangements for the visit from the Laiatanese president been finished yet?”

“Yes, sir. I was just about to send your sister, Cecilia in regards to that.”

“Alright, send her in then.”

His older sister, Cecilia entered the room. She was the Royal Confederate Premier of the Royal Confederacy of Vulshain, acting as both advisor and head of government of the country.

“So, Sam, I see you have been burning the candle at both ends as well. You can rest easily now, since everything is ready to go.”

“Ah good. I was worried since Vekaiyu has yet to reply about the transfer of Sekaligovi. I need to see if Laiatan will back us up in case the transfer goes south.”

Cecilia nodded as she replied, “I’ve spoken with my husband and he thinks that Laiatan will support us, but they still want to have a say in our weapons development programs.”

Rolling his eyes a bit, Sam add, “I hope you haven’t spoken to him about the prototypes we’ve been working on.”

Raising an eyebrow at her younger brother, she said, “Now, Sam, you should know that even though my husband is a former Laiatanese military office and government official, and I love him to death, I don’t tell him everything. I know my job and its limits.”

Nodding Sam continued, “Anyhow, the transfer of Sekaligovi should go alright, if Ikrisia can be convinced to allow the city to continue its policies and laws despite being returned to Vekaiyu.”

Sighing, Cecilia said, “I’m not so sure about that. I don’t like her, I don’t trust her, and I still don’t know what you saw in her. Still can’t believe you had a crush on her.”

Sam made a chuckle and shrugged.

What can I say: I was young and naive. Regardless of my past or current feelings about her, I want this transfer to go smoothly. We still need to worry about not only running Vulshain, but also the Vulshainian Commonwealth. Several of our former colonies are already having referendums about that. Laiatan isn’t too happy about that. Said that it would cause problems. Already I’m getting reports that at least two of those former colonies are having protest groups butting heads over this."

“Well, you know why we had to create the Commonwealth: it was only the way we could keep Rygard from falling into chaos after we and our allies overthrew the military dictatorship after the whole Rygardi invasion several years back and there were factions for and against Rygard becoming part of Vulshain. If we hadn’t done something, who knows what would have happened if the Pro-Annexation parties had taken power. It was a risky business having DIEIS hacked the polls to make sure the moderate Pro-Compromise party won. I could lose my job if that ever gets out.”

“I know. I know, but DIEIS has assured me that all leads back to you are a dead end. It’s all been destroyed. A good thing we didn’t email the orders. Helps to be independent from technology from time to time. So, don’t worry. If it does come to light, I’ll take the fall. A monarch can stay in power despite a scandal, usually. And while the Premier might be chosen by the monarch, the Royal Congress has to affirm my choice. It’s a lifetime position or until the Premier decides to step down. You know that.”

“I know, but anyhow, I just came by to let you know about the preparations were all set for our Laiatanese friends’ visit. I got an appointment with the Minister of Defense in a few minutes, but I hope to see you for dinner tonight. The kids have been begging for you to come visit them.”

Smiling, Sam nodded and said that he would be there and to say hi for him to Cecilia’s family, before his sister left.

“Sir, you’re 4:47 appointment is here.”

“Alright, Ms. Ernestine, send them in.”

Sam stood up as he prepared to shake the hands and greet the Minister of Urban Affairs, Youth and Sport, and the Minister of Foreign Affairs and Relations…

[spoiler]To: King Sam
Vulshain

Greetings from the continent Aurora!

I would like to cordially invite you to establish an embassy program, (OOC: An embassy thread and whatnot) so that we foreigners can get to know your country better, and potentially establish trade routes and visa programs with your proud nation!
Highest regards,
Boris Loctov
Prime Minister
The Republic of Tivot[/spoiler]