Goings-on in Listonia

(Ye’leli, Listonia)

Leon Soleki had been Stapen Evesuni’s right-hand-man for nearly twenty years. He endured with him when he lost his wife and daughter. He had been with him back when Evesuni formed People for an Independent Listonia. He was present for dozens upon dozens of raids and attacks on the Sevropian and Dverian governments. And, now with Evesuni in power, he was his closest advisor.

Leon looked out to the tops of the large buildings of the central business district of the large capital as his limousine swept down the wide streets. He had come to grips with his age, but unlike Evesuni, he was in good health, and felt he had at least a good twenty years to go before his body was dragged to hell. But never mind that. For the time being, Listonia was theirs. They were a good team - Evesuni had unrivaled public approval, achieving near-cult status, while Leon worked behind the scenes, working on their plan to make Listonia into a power to be reckoned with across the realm. He liked how little Evesuni seemed to care about politics and running a nation - it made his dumb partner like a puppet, holding onto his every word, agreeing with almost all of his decisions.

“Have you heard the pipeline was approved today by Stromburg?”

Leon turned to the middle-aged vulpine sitting across from him in the limo. His name was Viktor Sevanle, an ex-Vekaiyun who had been drafted into the ranks of Yu Levolar, the large criminal organization that all three men belonged to. “Of course,” Leon replied. “Doesn’t mean anything though.”

“It means everything. This pipeline will bring in billions of veskonos into Listonia. We won’t have famines to deal with like we did this winter. If anything, it’ll save the country.”

“That’s impossible,” Leon replied. “Listonia is to become a full dependancy of Vekaiyu. Or do you not listen to your cohorts, congressman?”

He sighed as if they had argued this point dozens of times before. “Look, Listonia can’t support itself alone. It can’t win a war by itself. It can’t survive on its own. It was a good ride while it lasted, but let’s be sensible here: Listonia is already a part of Vekaiyu. It is totally reliant on the nation in almost everything it does.” He shrugged. “Nobody’s fault it happened that way. When we became a nation, Vekaiyu was the only one that extended a hand to us. Two years later and not much has changed.”

“Then why do you say this pipeline will save the nation?”

“Because. I doubt even Vekaiyu could settle the tides of the Listonian economy. We’re lucky that famine didn’t get publicized… that would be just more reason for Vekaiyu to occupy Listonia. Almightly help us if we become unstable again - if we lose those buyers for our agriculture, we’re toast.”

“Nice. You’ve got this all figured out, don’t you, congressman?”

“Better than you two do,” he replied, referring to Leon and Evesuni. “Evesuni’s at least seeing it from our perspective. You seem to be comfortable letting this state continue to go on like this.”

“Independence is important over everything else.”

“Right,” Viktor replied sarcastically. “Even more important than death.”

Leon leaned forward. “Let me paint a picture for you, punk. Until Vekaiyu is 100% certain Listonia will be theirs, they will never support a pipeline into Stromburg, because in their mind that gives Listonia a reason to live. And with Evesuni agreeing with them on practically everything they say, there will be no pipeline until Vekaiyu says there will be a pipeline. So I ask you, who’s really in control here?”

“So obsessed over control,” he scoffed. “Is that why your regime is among the most secretive in the realm, and why, if you could, you’d remove all the rights of the people in one fell swoop?”

“I would.” He watched as the congressman’s eyes widened. “The people are too uneducated to make decisions that would impact Listonia to such a degree. That’s why there are a few leaders for millions of followers.”

Viktor paused as the car came to a stop. He smirked. “Seems you and Evesuni don’t see eye-to-eye.”

Leon smiled. “You catch on quickly.” The car door opened and a silencer was jammed onto the back of his head. Two shots were fired, and the congressman fell forward into the seat in front of him.

“How was the trip?” the gunman asked as he opened the door closest to Leon. He held out a hand and Leon grabbed it, getting out of the vehicle.

“Too noisy for my liking,” Leon replied.

“Hope it wasn’t too long. They’ve been waiting for you inside.”

“Yeah, well learning a bit of patience surely wouldn’t hurt them, would it?”

Leon stepped into the establishment. He was amazed, the crime world was changing. While Yu Levolar was in power and held the reins on the nation and the goings-on within it, Sakeyuz had gained much power by sticking close to the top organization. He had heard stories here and there about the group causing problems across the realm, but there was still too much chatter in the underground. That was a measure of a good organization: the best ones are those no one ever hears about. Sakeyuz was raw and immature, but if it could learn, it could be powerful.

“Sakeyuz to me,” a shadowy figure spoke.

“Yeah, I don’t do that,” Leon replied. “But, nevertheless, greetings.”

The room was drab and plain, a Sakeyuz standby. No material possessions, no clutter to distract the mind. It was all about simplicity. In their mind, Listonia was to be a simple state. A simple state where every person of a certain age was to be in the military, but a simple state regardless.

The shadowy figure rolled his chair across the concrete floor, coming into view from the naked lightbulbs that hung from above. It was a youthful vulpine male who wore plain clothes of olive green. “Fair enough,” Salvatoro replied. He looked to his left and his right as a female vulpine with short hair dressed in combat gear and a muscular black human wearing fatigues and aviator sunglasses joined him. “This is E and Vernon, my closest associates.”

“Charmed,” Leon greeted.

“It is a pleasure, sir,” Vernon said with a sneer.

“Always beneficial to meet a veteran,” E said, her stare piercing into the old man.

“Enough with the formalities,” Salvatoro remarked. “Let’s get down to business. Evesuni’s always been a thorn in this nation’s side by trying to make it into something it is not. The military has failed. The economy has failed. The leadership has failed.” He turned to Vernon. “Please get out guest a chair.”

“As you wish, sir,” he obeyed. His boots clacked against the floor as he set a chair in front of Leon, then returned to where he was standing.

“Thanks.”

“I’m not going to talk any further. You and I both know he should go. We’ve developed a plan. A person who looks like him, talks like him, and has been educated to know everything about him.”

“That’s impossible.”

“He’s not perfect, of course. But to a public that believes him to be a sort of god, he will do just fine.” Salvatoro looked to his left. “You may show yourself now.”

Leon watched as another person stepped from the shadows. When the figure revealed itself to the group, he nearly gasped. He was right when he said it wasn’t perfect, but it was definitely the spitting image of his longtime friend and colleague. The tattoo around his eye was perfect. His hair was almost exactly the way he kept it. And his height and frame were about perfect too.

“Impressive,” Leon replied. “But does he sound like him?”

“Of course I do.”

Leon grinned. “Remarkable.” He got up and looked him over, stepping around him a few times, then pausing and doing it again. “He’s trained on every minute detail of Evesuni’s life?”

“Yes. Down to the last detail. He was an operative in the Sakeyuz group who had fur that was slightly lighter than Evesuni’s, so he will need to dye it once a week. His hands were also a bit larger than Evesuni’s, so we had to scale them down a bit. As you can see, they’ve almost completely healed.” Salvatoro watched as Leon grabbed the man’s hand and noticed a slight discoloration in some areas. “So tell me, Leon, is this your guy?”

Leon nodded. “Yes. But we won’t be able to keep this charade going forever. You do know that, right?”

“We just need enough time to get our policies through. And once they figure out he isn’t Evesuni, the real Evesuni will be long gone. We have drafted a brief plan to dispose of the dictator’s body completely, so there isn’t much of a trace left.” He smirked. “If we burn the bones just right, they’ll glisten like stones, you know? It might be fitting to decorate a garden with said stones, don’t you think?”

Leon nodded. “If it must be done, then it must be done. He’s too dangerous to be kept alive. The man still has immense power, even if he chooses not to use it.”

“Aye, yes.”

“We’re still sticking to what we agreed on, right?”

Salvatoro held up his hands. “We have to. If you let the world know Sakeyuz killed Evesuni, Yu Levolar and all the other major crime orgs will eradicate us. But then we’ll kill you.”

“You don’t need to threaten me,” he replied. “I’m a man of my word. Just be sure to hold up your end of the stick and we’ll be ready. It’s high time Listonia got a real leader. Me.”

“Us.”

“Yes. Us.”

“How was Vekaiyu?” Leon asked. His voice was always unmistakable, sounding as if he gargled with razor blades every morning.

Evesuni took off his coat, exposing his workshirt and suspenders. “Tiring. Busy.” He looked back at him. “Why do you ask?”

Leon took his coat and folded it properly. “Well, the big news is what will be the fate of Listonia? Any progress?”

He shrugged. “I think it’s for the best that we at least allow some Vekaiyun intervention. Levinile said she doesn’t want to do a full absorption - it would damage the economies of both nations. She suggested allowing the placement of Vekaiyun divisions in our nation to help secure our borders first.” He looked up at his longtime comrade. The look quickly turned into a glare. “Don’t give me that. Our state isn’t strong. We can’t repel any attacks. Our armed forces can only afford to fight a three-month war. Do you not see this shit?” He walked up to him. “Or do you think we’ll just magically be able to afford things again?”

Leon furrowed his brow. “You look like you could use a drink.”

“Yeah, sure.”

He walked up to Evesuni and handed him a glass. “Cognac.”

“Finally.” He grabbed the glass as his fingers touched Leon’s, then set it down on the desk in his bedroom. “Now,” he continued, pulling a chair in front of him and sitting down. “I know you’ve been pissed off about this for months. So, no more of this pussyfooting around. You tell me what’s wrong.”

Leon frowned. “You’ve changed, Stapen. Where’s the sense of Listonian pride? You were the head of the People for an Independent Listonia. Independent being the most important word. Why the sudden change of heart? You want to destroy all we’ve worked hard for, for this?”

“You don’t understand,” Evesuni replied, taking a drink. “Either we continue to be independent, only to become swallowed up by Rykkovaa, Dveria, Sevropia, Elephana, and Vekaiyu, or we accept being under the Vekaiyun sphere of influence.”

“Sphere of influence?”

Evesuni sighed. “Until things can be settled out. Premier Levinile assured me we would retain marginal independence. It’s a little… complicated, but the details will need to be hammered out by their Kivreskov and our Useli.”

Leon watched his friend take another drink. “I don’t trust her,” he finally said. “You’ve been spending too much time with her. And with your health!” He stopped himself. “With your health, it is unwise to keep traveling to and from Vekaiyu.”

Evesuni scratched his head. “You don’t trust me, do you?”

“How can anyone trust you? To some people you’re a crime boss. Oh wait, you’re also a world leader. Wait a minute more, to this country you’re their father. Oh, dear me, you’ve also got the delusional Levinile to believe she’s your daughter! You know she’s going to find out sooner or later, don’t you?”

“Dammit!” Evesuni shouted as he threw the glass onto the floor. It immediately shattered into thousands of pieces. “You don’t trust me, do you? I gave my fucking life to this country, do you think I’d just die and have it go to hell?” He stood up and moved toward Leon. “Yes, I’m dying! And when I die, who will fill the power void?”

“Levinile, of course,” Leon replied. “And she’ll turn this country to dust.”

“Fuck you!” He said as he gripped Leon’s lapels. “She’s my daughter! Real, bonafide daughter!”

“Oh come o-”

“There was a DNA test, Leon! She’s my flesh and blood! She’s Listonian!”

Leon cocked his head as Stapen began to melt to the ground, losing his grip on his lapels. “Why do you tell me this now?”

“You would… believe…”

Leon continued to watch as Evesuni writhed on the ground, the full effects of the chemical working into him. He couldn’t take his eyes off him. He hated watching his friend suffer the way he did; he’d never allow something like this to happen. He fought the effects off like a champ, trying desperately to maintain consciousness. His eyelids finally gave way, and his head hit the tiled floor with a thunk.

Leon maintained his gaze as he opened his phone and dialed the last number called on it. “Hello. Yes. The deed is done. I will take the body. That is all.”

“Wake up.”

Evesuni blinked his eyes a few times before rubbing his head with the palm of his hand. He was in a large room, so large he couldn’t even see where the walls really began. The overhead lights burned, however, with such clarity it caused him to wince and hold his hand up to act as a shield. When he turned to his left, he noticed the guy closest to him, a human, was staring at him with deadpan eyes, his skin a pale blue and his eye sockets faint shades of gray. Various bumps and bruises were on his shaved scalp.

Evesuni jumped slightly, then slowed his movements. He looked into the man’s eyes, feeling as if he knew the person from somewhere. Looking around, he noticed hundreds, maybe thousands of chairs all around him, all full of zombie-like beings of different species staring back at him, forming a circle with their chairs.

“What’s going on?” he finally asked.

“You killed me,” the deadpan human spoke. “I wouldn’t decipher the Sevropian banking codes because I had not been trained to do so, so you held me underwater in a bathtub until I’d talk. You drowned me.”

“You killed me,” another one added, this time more vulpine in appearance, but with a mostly missing chest. “I sent my daughter to school the day you blew up a restaurant. I was aware of the attack, but I forgot it was on the way to her school and she died. You shot me twenty-nine times in the chest and told me I killed my daughter. You shot me.”

“You killed me,” a second vulpine spoke, the top-right side of his head missing. “I was just a person who believed in Listonian Independence. I didn’t even know you, but you beat me with a pipe until you cracked my skull. You beat me.”

“You killed me,” another human spoke, his corpulent neck glistening with a great gash. “I wasn’t the best soldier in your ranks, but I couldn’t load a gun fast enough so you grabbed a butter knife and jammed it into my throat. You cut me.”

“You killed me,” another person spoke, but it was hard to tell what he was. “You held me over a vat of steric acid in a meat packing plant because you were angry that I shot a guy who tried to attend to his dead wife. I begged you to spare me, but you let go. You melted me.”

Evesuni watched as more and more voices joined the macabre chorus. He didn’t know how to answer them. He simply sat there and watched.

Finally, a stern voice spoke out among the madness. “Stapen Kirin Evesuni, why don’t you speak?”

He looked at them all forlornly. “Because I don’t know what to say.” He sighed. "What do you want me to say? What do you want from me? I’m sorry, alright?”

“You weren’t sorry when you did these actions.”

“Look I don’t know what else you want me to say,” he replied. "I can’t go back in time and fix what I did. But I did them. And every death has a purpose. But I’m sorry. I’m old now-“

“That excuse doesn’t work for us.”

“And you had an excuse to uphold when I offed you?” He looked around the room. “You drowned at the expense of a dozen of my men. Your carelessness killed your own flesh and blood. You, I never knew you because you never fought for your nation. You were too incontinent to keep in my ranks. And as for you… there is nothing more cruel than what you did.”

“You feel no remorse for what you did.”

“I feel remorse, sure. What I did, I did. Wasn’t perfect, probably wasn’t the best way to handle things, but I did it. And I stand by it. I gave my country life and, through my daughter, my country will live on.”

“Burn for it! Stare into our faces for eternity!”

Evesuni watched as flames began to engulf the room. He began to feel warm, very warm as the fire cracked and snapped all around him. The other occupants didn’t seem fazed by the whole ordeal, but were definitely staring at him satisfyingly, believing justice had been served. Evesuni cringed and brought his hands to his head, but the intense heat kept coming, unyielding and strong.

The sound slowly began to morph as the scenery faded and blurred. A short humming sound echoed in his ears as he came to. The haze subsided and his vision returned, but all he could really see was black and orange. Upon raising his head, he noticed his friend from before was standing in front of him. They were in a room with just one door and he was sitting in a chair that was in about the middle of a row of chairs bolted to the ground. It took him longer than usual, but he finally formed the words he needed. “What’s going on?”

“I’m supposed to kill you.”

Evesuni wrenched his face into a form of shear anger. “Not before I strangle you first.” He moved his hands out toward him, but he couldn’t move them very far. He was handcuffed to the armrests. Checking his wrists, he noticed his hands and arms were pitch black. The short sleeves to his jumpsuit was orange, the only identification on it being ‘IGOVELINISI 449-320’ “What the hell is this?”

“I’m supposed to kill you, but I won’t. They spiked your drink and overpowered me. They were going to end you, but I said I would do it to get you out of there. So, they let me take your body.”

“You expect me to believe that story?”

“I don’t know. If it was a lie I’d like to think I’d be more creative though.”

“So why are my arms black?”

“Your entire body’s black. I dyed it to keep you alive.”

“What?” He reached for his head to waylay a headache, but immediately cringed and pulled his fingers back.

“Your fingerprints have also been removed,” Leon replied. “For all intents and purposes, your name is Yivkol Iglovelinisi, who is en route to the Stapen Evesuni Maximum Security Correctional Facility after pleading guilty for eight counts of murder, sentenced to ten years. Your sentence was negotiated down from death after it was determined you had affiliation with Yu Levolar.”

“Not too creative?”

“No. I killed the real guy on his way to the building. I made sure I found a guy who had black fur. They won’t know much of a difference over there anyway. All they really care about is if you look sort of like him and your nametag is correct.”

He arched an eyebrow. “So why go through all of this trouble? Why not let me go through the underground or, better yet, just send the military after these bastards?”

“It’s more complicated than that. Look, just sit tight – I don’t have time to explain all of this. But this should only take a weekend. I’m on your side, you know?”

Evesuni glared at him. “Why? It was only… some time ago you were disagreeing with everything I said. I still think you’re damn lying to me.”

“Trust me, I’m not.”

“Screw you! You better have a good reason for all of this going down, or I will find a way to… to…!”

Leon looked into his eyes, and kissed him, despite Evesuni trying to grab him and push him away. “There. Because I love you.”

“You do that again and I’ll rip my arms out of these things and-“

“And I’d do it again. I spent twenty years with you, never married, never dated. Thank Almighty you’re an idiot.” He looked at him again. ”And I can’t bear to tell you what’s really going on.” “Now I’ll be o on my way. They’re going to pick you up now.” He turned back to him before leaving the door. “Good luck.”

— Begin quote from ____

Prime Minister Kenobi,

I look forward to your visit to the nation of Listonia to discuss plans to create a pipeline from Stromburg to Listonia. I hope that through these meetings we will come up with a viable plan that will affirm relations between our two nations and provide adequate transport of oil from my nation to yours.

With utmost respect,
Stapen Evesuni

— End quote

Leon read the letter over twice. “There. It sounds a bit more cordial now.”

Salvatoro arched an eyebrow. “Cordial? Evesuni’s anything but cordial.”

He scoffed. “To you maybe. But not when he’s trying to whore himself out to a government. Look you want this done the right way or the wrong way? I’m doing everything I damn well can here.” He cleared his throat to remove some of the grindiness of his voice. “I gave you the passwords to his main email. I’m sitting here telling you exactly what to write.”

Salvatoro turned to Leon, moving his hands to the back of his own head in a relaxed pose. “And he deletes his old emails?”

“He doesn’t trust computers.”

“He lists Premier Levinile as a prime contact.”

“Listonia and Vekaiyu are intimately joined at the hip.”

Salvatoro continued to glare at him. The silence in the room was impossible to ignore as the tension between the two men grew. “Alright then. Click send and we’ll see what they do.”

“You’re the property of the State. Now you are under my control!”

Stapen Evesuni watched as what appeared to be a head guard walked around him, prodding him with a club. He sneered slightly. He knew too well of his kind. But it wasn’t like there was any chance of escape. He had been brought to a holding cell somewhere in a prison he funded a year ago, probably. Only two doors - one behind him and one in front of him - were visible, but with four guards against him, an aging vulpine really stood no chance.

“Your ass belongs to me!” The club wielded by the head guard came down and struck Evesuni on the back, causing him to buckle his shoulder blades and wince. “This jail is one magnetic field. Your boots let us know where you are at all times.” He turned to the other guards around him. “Prisoner 471-091 to populace.”

Suddenly Evesuni was lifted by his shoulders as two guards flanked him and dragged him into the next room, a hallway, lined with cinder block walls painted a dull red, the words “Even the damned must work in Listonia,” coming back to haunt him. He didn’t even remember uttering such a phrase, but there was his name next to it. Still, it didn’t really faze him. He knew the Listonian prison system was much more lenient than the Vekaiyun ones. Some were practically holding areas for criminal leaders - a slap on the wrist, and back to the streets they go. Naturally Leon had to pick this one, one of the more real jails, however, for two reasons. First, it had his name on it; he’d never sign off for a crooked jail. Looked bad for political reasons. Second, it was a ‘maximum security’ correctional facility. Too bad it wasn’t minimum.

After being dragged into a larger room, he was dropped off in a cell where a younger vulpine male was also residing. Evesuni didn’t even look up at him, even when the guards left and locked the door behind him.

“I wouldn’t sleep tonight if I was you.”

Evesuni turned around to view him. He was well-built as far as a vulpine was considered, but all that mattered was if he could move well. Vulpines , by nature, favored agility over strength. He did seem pretty relaxed as he leaned against the wall, however. “Alright, I’ll play along. Why not?”

“Cause I’m being investigated for paranoid schizophrenia. And if I kill another cellmate I can get my own room in an institution.”

Stapen grinned. “Chance you could also be killed.”

He shrugged. “Chance I’m willing to take. Here for life.” A smile crept onto his face. “Not like I’m going to be hurt by you anyway.”

Evesuni stood up and approached the man until his chest touched his. He stared into his unwavering face. “You could be,” he said, lowering his voice.

“Hey!”

Both men turned toward the door. “Cut it out! I have my eye on you two!” The guard glared at the two cellmates, then, after pacing around them a few moments, he walked on.

“Free for now,” the young vulpine said as he grinned.

=====

The wait up until lunchtime was excruciating. For roughly two hours Evesuni and his cellmate busied themselves and tried to pass time independently, occasionally exchanging glances between the two of them. When lunch came, the tension between them was pretty evident. Turning around to get in a glare while guards were siphoning inmates into a line for food, random shoving here and there (but nothing too drastic - that would start something, of course), grabbing food before the other person could.

When they sat next to each other, it was pretty clear to Evesuni that either he was going to be killed or his cellmate would be killed. Some invisible barrier was crossed. Even if they were separated, they’d meet each other again during a meal or calisthenics, and with the cellmate being probably twenty years younger than he was, plus having an extra lung and a stronger frame, it would be stupid for Evesuni to not strike first.

The two glared at each other when one reached for the salt, encased in a flimsy plastic case. Impossible to kill a man with. Looking around him, there really wasn’t anything useful to use. The plates were flimsy. The food could kill him, but he didn’t want to wait to see if it would tear his insides. Plus there was nothing useful in it. Chicken… paste? Not even a bone. Green beans, really? And paper cups for water. They thought of everything. There was a roll, however. It was thick enough where if it could be shoved down someone’s throat they could choke on it. But he’d need a distraction. At least he was sitting in the center of the room - guards lined the doorways and would take a while to reach him. He rolled the roll in his hand as he continued to think. He looked up and noticed his cellmate was watching him. A glare was not enough to keep him from ripping the roll out of his hand. There went that.

All that was left was the spork. How he hated those things. Vekaiyu would never create them, but they were cheaper to use and hence they imported them from Free Pacific States. He picked it up. Not too flimsy. Perhaps it would serve some use. He picked up some of the chicken “paste” with his free hand and, after sizing up his cellmate, threw it to his left. As soon as he turned his head to follow it, Evesuni found his chance, grabbed the man by the back of his head, and jammed the handle-end into the man’s left eye. He screamed. Pushing his head down, Evesuni gained more leverage and removed the spork, then shoved it in again. Damn. Didn’t break the orbit. Was he getting too old? He did this before, right? One more time was met with a slight suction sound. He had broken through - the pressure in the cranial cavity was relieved, and a great gush of blood was visible. He swirled the handle around until it began to collect brain matter and muscle like spaghetti to a fork.

“Yeah! Yeah!”

Rejuvenation. He hadn’t felt so young in years. He just needed to reaffirm who he was, what he was. Not a world leader, not some stuffed shirt ass-kisser. He was a simple country boy from Listonia, fueled by anger and revenge, fighting for a dream shared by millions.

He was so worked up in his recent toil he didn’t see that some of inmates had stood on their seats. Suddenly, he felt his feet glue to the ground. Right. The magnetic field.

“Everyone down now! Now!” One of the guards shouted.

The closest guard to Stapen readied his stun gun and fired at him. He then was joined by another guard who proceeded to strike him in the back with a club. Prison justice. A misplaced blow struck him in the back of his head, knocking the former world leader out like a light.

“So what are you in here for?”

“I killed a man.”

“Ah.”

Evesuni leaned against the wall to his cell, a small sliver of light from a letterbox-like opening of the cell door his only source of light. There really wasn’t much to do besides think or talk to whoever was on the other side of the wall. And Evesuni wasn’t a good thinker.

“Yourself?” he asked.

“Fight.” His voice sounded firm but faint.

“Trying to look tough, eh?”

“I’ve been here before. Some skinny-assed kid was looking at me funny.”

“Right.”

“Anyone tell you that you sound like that Evesuni guy?”

Evesuni’s ears perked up. “Yeah. I get that a lot.”

“Heard one of his speeches once. It was for some rocketship.”

“Oh yeah. Suvej. Yeah there was too many speeches for that. It was a stupid idea, really. Only had enough money for one launch. By the time we had that, the various projects to advance Listonia, and the weapons purchase from Vekaiyu, we were broke.”

“Yeah. Then we had that famine over the winter. So much for Listonian progress.”

“Better off than where we were, though.”

“Yeah. But PIL was more fun.”

“You were in PIL?”

“Yeah. I was just a kid then. Was fun. Blowing up buildings, freight yards, stuff like that.”

Evesuni grinned. “Too bad they disbanded that, eh?”

“Ah, give me a gun and a bomb and I’d do it all over again.”

“You would?”

“Yeah.”

“Want a chance?”

“I would,” he immediately replied. “Too bad we don’t have any revolutions anymore. Not enough excitement.”

“What we should do… is start a war.”

“Start a war?”

“I’m going to let you in on a little secret. Listonia’s not what it seems.”

“There’s a surprise.”

“Listen to me,” Evesuni replied. He cleared his throat so he can speak clearer. “We need to get out of here. Sooner the better.”

“Why?”

“Because. You want a better Listonia? I have the means to do that.”

There was a long pause. “Okay. We’ll talk during evening calisthenics. I’ll be around a group of people. You’ll know where I am based on the sound of my voice.”

Evesuni winced in pain as he was slammed against the brick wall of the courtyard where prisoners gathered to do daily calisthenics. He didn’t hate it as much as one would suspect; instead, it made him remember more, times when he had no control in his life, where cowardly men stronger than he used him for their own greed and immorality.

“Did you even think you could get out of here, old man?”

The leader, presumably the vulpine male he was speaking to earlier, grabbed him by the collar of his orange jumpsuit and flung him to the ground. Apparently the guards were nowhere to be found, or they simply let fights like this happen now and then.

“So what’s it going to be, you gonna be our bitch?”

Evesuni stood slowly, glaring into his eyes, his gaze unfaltering as he stared his opponent down. “No one lives when they call me a bitch.” He watched for his next move, but apparently his words were stronger than he made them out to be, as the man squinted his eyes and paused. Taking his eyes off the ringleader, he noticed others were doing the same thing. Eyes pinballed back and forth to one another, until Evesuni decided to turn around. There, painted on the wall, was a picture of his likeness, staring down forebodingly, with something written about how their goal was to be a more productive member of society.

After spitting some blood on the ground, Stapen Evesuni stepped forward and planted a finger square on the man’s chest. “I’m too old and tired to kick your ass right now. But you’re going to get us out of here.”

“How do we know it’s you?” a younger vulpine male wearing a bandana to hold his unruly hair back asked.

“It sounds like me, right? I look like me, right?”

“No. No you don’t. Your fur is black.”

Running a finger along the socket of his right eye, the fur parted to reveal his tattoo, symbolic of his name under Voxian Catholicism traditions. “I am Stapen Evesuni, you piece of shits. And you’re going to do exactly what I say, or I’ll turn this prison into a crater when I get out of here.”

“Stapen, I had no idea.”

Evesuni turned to the former leader, the one he spoke to during his time in solitary. What a difference a few minutes make. Rather than trying to beat the piss out of him, the man was much more apologetic, kneeling in front of him. Evesuni lifted the man’s head carefully with his left hand, then reeled back and decked him hard with his right, causing the man to fall to the ground after spinning his knees in the dust.

“Now we’re going to get out of here,” he said as he waved his hand to shake off the hit. “But we need a plan. And we need everyone behind it.” He looked down. “Any plan will need to get rid of these though,” he added as he scuffed the toe of one of his boots.

“Been working on it,” another soft-spoken vulpine male with dark circles under his eyes answered. “If you get a screwdriver you can chip away at the bracketing pin here there’s a chance you can disable the boot. But it doesn’t always work… it’s hard to jam something down there.”

“Sounds like a personal problem, Yeri” another remarked as laughter followed.

Yeri eyed the crowd, then continued. “What we really need is someone ballsy enough to disable the magnetic systems.”

“I can do that,” another one spoke. His voice was gruff and he wore an eyepatch. His jumpsuit was also very baggy. “Just say when.”

Yeri pointed to him. “Isoli’s pretty good at snooping around.”

“Fine,” Evesuni said. “But I mean it. We’re going to need a plan. A good one. If we screw up, we’re here for good. People will probably die.” He looked around at all the faces. “No one can screw off.”

“That’s fine,” Isoli replied, “But why are you here?”

Evesuni shrugged. “None of your business. I’ll reveal more as we progress forward.”

“The Sakeyuzian republic of Listonia is open for business,” Salvatoro said as he loosely bit onto a cigar and lit it up. He leaned back in a rather old, plain chair in an equally plain office, his office at the Useli. Specifically designed to fit his desires, the room had an appeal of a janitor closet, with walls without paint, unfinished wooden floor, and no molding where the floorboards met the drywall. His desk was probably the only “nice” object in the room, but even so, the slits of sunlight that the blinds let in exposed a layer of dust.

“I would suggest, sir, that we focus on the problems laying ahead of our mission,” Vernon, a large African-American male said with a sneer. His aviator shades removed any sense of personal identity.

“Vernon’s right,” E added. The vulpine female still preferred fatigues over streetclothes, much like Vernon, and her shaved hair straightedged her seriousness with her profession. “Vekaiyu hasn’t been very keen on us changing our national structure.”

“Irrelevant,” Salvatoro said, “We have created a worker’s paradise. It’s like the Listonian Sun says, we’re the most stable nation around.”

“With all due respect, sir, you cannot honestly believe any of that garbage.”

“They’re this close to going to war with us! They’ve already sent their second roaming fleet out on patrol - next is a blockade of our ports!”

Salvatoro ignored Vernon and E’s comments and pointed to Leon. “Go!” he commanded casually.

Leon grimaced. “I don’t think attacking Listonia is within her capabilities.” His rough voice was like sandpaper on eardrums. “It seems our little Vekaiyun leader believes Stapen to be her father.”

“Bingo!” Salvatoro said with a smile.

“…And based on the notes she’s been sending Evesuni, she doesn’t want to attack.”

Salvatoro grinned. “And I can’t believe your damn Yu Levolar group didn’t capitalize on that! Why don’t you read one of them?”

Leon shrugged and unfolded a piece of paper. “I’ll just read excerpts.” He cleared his throat. “Our nations appear to be pulling ever closer to an inevitable war. But I want you to know, I don’t want war. This sideshow of an escalation is only a smokescreen to be used for Vekaiyun image. And furthermore, I cannot attack my own father.”

“And?”

He skimmed over the document. “What you do with Listonia is solely for Listonia. Vekaiyu will not intervene. Our media has a forked tongue, but they luckily do not control our military. All I ask is that you keep the trade up. Take care.”

“See?” he said as he ashed his cigar. “This is exactly what I figured would happen. Vekaiyu is too afraid to attack Listonia - they have far too much invested in it. Not only that, but with their leader believing him to be her father, we’re able to use that position to our advantage.”

Vernon leaned over to where the false Evesuni was sitting. “And have we?”

“I would say so,” he replied. “She’s not very combative either, which is a little surprising to me. I suppose she’s really taken a liking to him.”

“We should try to impress upon her this government of ours,” E suggested.

“I wouldn’t push it,” Leon cautioned. “This is, after all, a leader who hanged ten thousand or so citizens in a few months.” He shrugged. “We should be treating this as an ace up our sleeve. A blank check to do what we want in the region.”

“The ‘from’ is a Listonian address,” Vernon observed.

“Only way for her to get around the filters in Vekaiyu, probably.” Leon furrowed his brow. “That threw me off initially, until I realized if Vekaiyuns found out about this, the entire nation would be thrown for a Loop.”

“We could use this to blackmail her and gain an upper hand in trade!” E said. “Or engage them in war. It’s not like they will fight back with any sense of force.”

Evesuni shook his head. “No. Not within his character to do that. Many times Stapen said he didn’t want to start a war.”

“Seems to me he’s been acting out of character for a while now,” E responded. She looked around and noticed the false Evesuni’s eyes were locked on hers. “What? It’s true. Look at all the changes that have been going on in the nation. And we’re sitting on pins and needles worried about that report becomming public! Can you imagine? Reports of millions dead in concentration camps? Arrests for speaking out against Evesuni or the government? Disbanding the Useli?”

“Why don’t we explain to Levinile our desire to keep that report secretive?” Vernon asked.

Everyone looked at the false Evesuni. “I can try,” he finally said. “It’s definitely worth a shot.”

“The way those notes sounded, it’s probably a slam-dunk,” Salvatoro remarked.

“Those notes do not make sense to me,” Vernon said. “I hear reports that Lso Yeskevi has been given safe haven in their nation too. And there is the worry about a naval blockade, too. And if she were to go to war, she would probably choose now before it gets too cold.”

“Or choose when it gets too cold, when our equipment will fail,” E countered.

“Maybe we should have her come over for talks?” Salvatoro asked.

“Bad idea,” Leon immediately spoke. “Best to keep their relationship at a distance, while it still works. Plus we don’t want to have the possibility of the two of them meeting and she immediately realize our Evesuni is not the real Evesuni.”

“Agreed,” Vernon added with a sneer, gripping his assault rifle.

“I’d recommend concentrating on getting stronger.”

“I’ve been thinking of that,” Salvatoro said. “We need another nation to gain better weapons from. I suggest looking into another communist nation, but with Bai Lung having problems, and Lazlowia not recognizing our independence, it puts us in a difficult situation.” He paused. “Be thinking about that for our next meeting.” He pointed to the fake Evesuni. “You have a speech to deliver. So, do it.” He raised his hands. “Dismissed.”

====

— Begin quote from ____

From the Office of the Vekaiyun Premier

Kivo Evesuni,

I don’t know why you’re acting this way, but whatever has gotten into you suggests to me that you’re no longer fit to run a nation. I have been made aware of the problems and atrocities in Listonia, and frankly I’m disgusted. All those words spoken during the spring when you seemed so carefree and intent on getting to know me better and forsake your position as Listonian dictator, they mean nothing. It was all lies to buy more time.

Had the Kivreskov not been founded, we would already be engaging in war. Bear in mind the WMD’s supplied from Vekaiyu to Listonia must be jointly affirmed by both nations in order to engage the launch sequence. This will no longer be a war of land, but a war of liberation.

How could you do this to me? All those lies, those horrible things. I don’t even know how I could be related to you. But related or not, when trade and millions of lives are at stake, I will forgo one relationship to ensure their safety. Call it blindness, but I still have hope for you.

Regards,
Ikrisia Levinile
Premier of Vekaiyu

— End quote

“Dammit,” Leon said as he raked his fingers through his hair. “Now what the hell do I say?” He sighed and proceeded to mince her message, to be delivered through a chain of emails to their proper destination.

— Begin quote from ____

From the Office of King Samuil Rainard of the Confederacy of Vulshain

Dear Premier Stapen Evesuni,

I wish to inform you that what I do not like what I’ve been hearing about what is going on in your nation from my ambassador.  They are quite disturbing.  Reports of starvation and police brutality by secret police, along with other alarming rumors and reports have been reported by my embassy.

Vulshain’s recognition of your nation was done by my predecessor, but I will carry on that recognition as well.  However, that does not mean I will tolerate such hideous actions like the mistreatment of your citizens.

I also wish to discuss the lack of Listonia’s participation in the treaty agreed by the nations of the Gulf of Itur in combating piracy and criminal activities in the Gulf of Itur.  If you are in need to assistance, I am willing to have vessels and crew from the Vulshainian Confederate Navy to assist your Navy in patrolling your waters as a gesture of goodwill.

There are members of the Royal Congress, although few in number, but loud in voice, who believe that we should not recognize Listonia.  I know that Listonia has had a difficult past and is trying to rebuild itself.

I hope you will prove to me that the rumors of secret police and starvations are indeed just rumors.

I had hoped to assist Listonia in rebuilding herself, especially since Vulshain has a strong argicultural industry as well as advanced medical technology.  I will continue to trade food with you but Vulshain’s medical technology will not be traded until I am satisfied with how your people are treated.

A leader should never mistreat his or her people.  Should relations between Vekaiyu and Listonia fall apart into war, Vulshain will not enter as a combatant but to ensure the safety of innocent lives by aiding refugees in fleeing your nation.  I will expect a reply soon about your sincere committment in improving how your people are treated.

Sincerely,

Samuil Rainard,
King of the Confederacy of Vulshain

— End quote

“Do you think that was a little intimidating,” Cecilia asked.

“It might have been, but if I want people to respect Vulshain again, I’m going to need show some fangs once in a while.”

Cecilia nodded. “We better inform Southern Yugoslavia too, just in case. I hope things don’t go down the drain straight into Hell.”

“Me too.” Sam hit the send button. “God help us all if it does.”

“You haven’t said anything about Akin being in Lazlowia.”

“Akin maybe a communist, but he is also a royalist. A contradiction, but he is getting old. He may retire.”

Cecilia nodded before leaving to held back to her office right across the hall from her brother’s.

— Begin quote from ____

The Honorable Government of Listonia is appalled by the recognition of Vekaiyun propaganda. The imperialists in Vekaiyu desire to claim Listonia as their own, and will resort to deplorable means to strengthen their cause. It is to this end we have decided not to recognize it and urge other states to do so. Seekers of truth would be wise to ignore such claims.

Regardless if states recognize the independence of Listonia, Listonia remains on the map, and remains as the decider of its own fate. It is self-sufficient, and will not buckle to threats of restricting trade.

Listonia is the most stable nation in the region; we have no need to accept foreign military aid at this time.

Regards,
Stapen Evesuni
Leader of Listonia

— End quote

Sam looked at the message. “Odd. I thought Stapen wanted Vulshain as a trading partner.” His sister and Royal Secretary Taisyia was puzzled by this as well.

“Maybe he had a change of heart.”

“Possible, but unlikely. I had promised to send some extra Vulshainian military equipment to him as well as to Southern Yugoslavia and Vekaiyu, but I had to cancel the shipments after the Vekaiyun Civil War and the War to Liberate Rygard happened. So, none of them got the shipments. I’ll probably hold off on Listonia’s shipments, but I’ll wait and send our two strongest allies their shipments after everything between the three of us cools down some more. I think Zach and Ikrisia are not pleased about the fallout of DIEIS’ collapse.”

“Still, DIEIS probably kept an eye on Stapen when the Listonia War for Independence was going on,” Taisyia added.

“True.” He went over some papers and documents that had belonged to DIEIS. “Hold up. What’s this?” Sam read the paper.

“What?”

“Apparently, DIEIS had spotted Stapen talking with members of several of Listonia’s most powerful crime families during the Listonian War for Independence. They even took some pictures of them together.”

“Wait, so Stapen was in alliance with the Listonian mobs?”

“Maybe. Still, the photos could be fake.” Sam kept reading. “It’s possible that DIEIS had some dirt or even a smoking gun on him. I’ll probably have to try buffing and see what happens. The photos might be enough, but it would be better if I had a smoking gun on him too.”

Sam looked at the pictures of Stapen Evesuni talking with the Listonian mob bosses. “Well, these pictures might be good enough to discredit Stapen. Never did like him. I always felt he was a slimeball.”

He wondered what Vekaiyu, and their leader, Ikrisia, would think about this. He had sent copies to Ikrisia, while he kept the originals.

To: Mór Preusz, Chairman of the Communist Party of Lazlowia

The President have advised me, that in light of your impending election as President of Lazlowia, I should send my report on Listonia.

As you undoubtedly know, Listonia received it’s independence two years ago. The compromise was a result political shortsightedness of several government, including unfortunately ours.

A year later Vekiayu gave Listonia an undetermined ammount of nuclear warheads. As this was a direct violation of the Treaty of Saint-Remy, our government withdrew diplomatic recognition from both Vekiayu and Listonia. The political fallout of the Second Listonian Crisis severely harmed Listonia, and today only a few countries (most notably Vulshain, South Yugoslavia and of course Vekiayu) recognize Listonia.

Stapen Evesuni, the self-styled “father” of Listonia, was always erratic in his leadership. Most recently he decided to pursue a more isolationist policy, which have alienated his closest allies, Vekiayu and Vulsahin, from him.

The most ironic part of this setup is, that the “Listonian Thought”, as Evesuni calls his policy, has so far been beneficial for us, as it have kept Listonia weak and peaceful, and prevented Vekiayu from annexing Listonia.

Recently unconfirmed news from Vekiayu stated, that Listonia is preparing to invade Elephana. This is of course nothing new, since for years Evesuni openly stated his intentions to conquer Elephana on the flimsy excuse that Listonia needs a corridor to Lake Whatever. So far the shoddy state of the Listonian army and the lack of support from Vekiayu have prevented him from doing so. Vekiayu’s recent complaints mean two things: first, they intend to smear Listonia’s already questionable reputation, and second, they plan to make this an excuse to occupy and eventually annex Listonia.

Consulting with the Ministry of Industry and Agriculture and with the Ministry of Defense, I’ve concluded, that Listonia doesn’t have the resources to wage war, and in face of an invasion it would collapse in weeks. Thus Listonia’s defeat is only a question of time.

Suggested course that the government should take:

The government should at all cost prevent Vekiayu from annexing Listonia. The best course would be to make a military alliance with Sevropia, Elephana and Rykkovaa, and motivate them with the prospect of regaining those territories, which were stolen by Listonia.

Another concern is the position of Vulshain. King Renard likes to envision himself as the “gendarme” of the region, and thus he wants to have a finger in every pie, as they say. His recent involvement in Bai Lung clearly shows his lack of understanding of regional politics. Vulshain would overstretch its resources, if they would get involved in another conflict, however the best approach would be to keep them out as long as possible.

Sam was nervous. “You think having a bunch of news conferences already would have made me used to it…”

He then gestured towards a reporter who had his hand up.

“Your Majesty, with the recent events happening in Listonia, will Vulshain be getting involved?”

“Yes and no. Yes, Vulshain will get involved, but no as in we will not send troops. However, if our Vekaiyun allies request our assistance, then we will do so, but in a limited role. What that role is, I cannot say as we aren’t to that point yet, and I hope we won’t get that far.”

“What about other countries calling you the gendarme of the region?”

“I really wish they would stop calling me that. I didn’t ask for a war against Rygard, and I attempted to reason with their government, but their racist and fascist beliefs prevented us from reaching a peaceful resolution. The Armed Republic of Rygard’s leader, Archibald Rivers, made a public speech saying that Rygard will not make peace to any nation that is led by non-humans. Archibald Rivers has also stated that if Rygard wins the war, they will make an example of all non-human nations as well as communist nations.”

“So, Rygard’s leaders are hostile towards communist nations, like Lazlowia?”

“Yes. And to quote Rivers’, “Rygard will not rest until the communist pigs and their degenerate leaders are burned at the stake.” I’m afraid, the Rygardi’s leaders are not only radical, but hardheaded to the point…” He paused a moment, pretending to clear his throat but was trying to pick the right word. “Excuse me. They are hardheaded to the point of not seeing reason. We are still trying to reach a peaceful end to this conflict.”

“What about establishing relations with Sevropia?”

“I’m not sure. They are currently a protected state under the protection of Warre, and since Warre has closed its borders, well, there is little we can do at this point.”

“What Elephana?”

“I have been talking with Elephana’s leaders about relations, and they seem to be very opened to the idea of establishing relations between Vulshain and Elephana. They are however concerned about aggression from both Listonia and Rykkovaa. I tried to contact Rykkovaa but I have yet to receive any returns from them.”

“What about Listonia’s lack of participation in the Gulf Alliance between Vulshain, Listonia, Vekaiyu, and Southern Yugoslavia?”

“I don’t know what Evesuni is thinking. He was very adamant on becoming a part of this alliance, but now he has turned around and completely changed his mind. And it’s not just me who has noticed an utter change in his personality and character. Vekaiyu has also been shocked by this change. A while back, Evesuni was very opened to the idea of Listonia becoming a part of Vekaiyu and had been in talks with Vekaiyu’s government, but now, he has switched gears and been strongly against such a move.”

“What do you think, in your personal opinion, the cause of this change in the leader of Listonia?”

“To be honest, I don’t know. It could be old age, a brain tumor. I don’t know. Next question…”

Sam sighed as he plopped down into a chair in Cecilia’s office after the news conference. Cecilia sighed too.

“I have no idea what the heck is wrong with Stapen. One moment he wants to be a part of the Gulf Alliance and for Listonia to rejoin Vekaiyu, and then poof! He does an aboutface and refuses to rejoin Vekaiyu and does not take part in the Gulf Alliance. It’s as if someone just replaced him with a…” He paused.

“What is it?”

“I didn’t think much of this, but what if…What if, the person in charge right now, isn’t the real Stapen Evesuni?”

“Wait, then that would mean!?”

“Yes, that someone else is controlling Listonia from behind the scenes and is using a look-a-like to dupe everyone!”

“Den Mother’s holy name! That would explain everything!”

“Yes, but if this is true, we don’t have much to go on…Wait…I think I have an idea.”

He started calling Ikrisia.

“Dammit!” Salvatoro said as he flung the Vekaiyun newspaper on his desk. The news article of Vekaiyu warning of a Listonian attack on Elphana was face-up. “How the hell did they figure this out?”

The room, occupied by Salvatoro’s immediate cabinet, fell silent. “Obviously we must have more ties to Vekaiyu than we previously thought,” Vernon answered as he looked around the room.

Leon shrugged. “I don’t know why we agreed to this idea in the first place.”

Salvatoro glared at him. “We all agreed to this. We all feared a Vekaiyun blockade of our ports on the Gulf of Itur, and our need for a port free from them-”

“I’m tired of this bullshit!” Leon blurted. “This is your idea of ‘Listonian Ideal’? No matter what we do, Vekaiyu will be against us, or another nation will be against us. We don’t have the money or the resources to ward off a direct attack! All we have are nuclear and biological weapons to…” he paused. “This is as far as we can go. We’re about ready to enter into a Listonian winter and a quarter of our country is on the brink of starvation because we ballooned our military and spent resources on that! And those who weren’t in the military, are not in concentration camps! We’ve crippled ourselves!”

“What are you trying to say?” E asked.

“This entire model is stupid!”

“I think you’re out of order, Leon,” Vernon replied.

Leon looked around the room and realized everyone was staring at him.

“You know, maybe we should be looking within our own ranks to see if anyone here is spilling the beans,” Salvatoro said.

“Relax,” assured Leon. “I didn’t like the past regime as much as anyone else here. I just think we’re going about a few things wrong here. We don’t have the technology to go against Vekaiyu, or the resources to fight a long offensive. We need to stop these fruitless advances and begin diplomacy.”

“For who?” the fake Evesuni asked. “Some nations don’t even recognize us.”

“We need to loosen hostilities with Vekaiyu. It is the only way.” He watched as Salvatoro pounded his fist on his desk. Leon responded by pounding harder. “I’m tired of this dick waving contest! Our nation is in crisis-mode, and you all want to do is go on the offensive! We have no choice. We must deescalate, and do it now. We’ll need to do a complete re-structurization of our agriculture in time for next year, or more people will starve. Bear in mind, these are the same people who will one day be in our military. So I’d suggest that be our main focus for next year.”

Salvatoro shook his head. “We’re already committed in our military. If there’s one thing Listonians know how to do, it’s grow stuff. I’m not concerned about that.”

Leon scoffed. “Some of us are old enough to remember the Sevropians and Dverians and their futile agricultural programs. We were able to run things our own way for two years, and for two years we did a good job. Now with the government negatively meddling in the affairs of the farmers again, productivity is down. We need to return farmers to their land. Our armies can’t march while starving, after all.”

“I still believe Listonians will be able to figure it out themselves. You don’t have faith in your people, Leon. And that concerns me.” He waved a hand. “Anyway, dismissed. Have the papers say it was only for training purposes, and nothing more. Offer an apology to Elphana for any misunderstandings, and blame Vekaiyu and Vulshain for blowing this all out of proportion.”

“Fine by me,” E said.

“Rest of you, if we can survive the winter without consequence, we will have a better year next year. Increased trade means we can pour more funds into defense.”

— Begin quote from ____

I am requesting the immediate release of Yivkol Iglovelinisi. The man must be available for pickup at 0200 hours tonight. Leon Soleki will oversee the transfer.

Do not discuss the matter or the request outside of this email conversation.

Regards,
Stapen Evesuni
Leader of Listonia

— End quote

Leon stared into the eyes of his old friend as the limousine drove through the rainy outskirts of southwestern Ye’leli. Clear air separated the two, but emotions as thick as the densest fog was heavy in the car, making it difficult for both of them to breathe. Leon, whose tie was crooked due to the wind outside as he waited for Evesuni to be placed in the car, maintained a defiant stare. Evesuni retorted with a glare as dark as the color of his dyed fur.

The tension between the two could grow no larger. Leon cleared his throat. “So,” he said as he put his hands on his knees, the limousine riding over a few potholes in the road. He flashed a nervous smile back at Evesuni, whose face had not changed since he was escorted out of the prison. “Listen, uh, we’re at situation critical over here. The nation… has kind of dug itself into a hole. I’m getting a plan in place to get you back into power. You know.” He rubbed the back of his neck. “This hasn’t gone well for both of us.”

All Evesuni did was blink. Leon shifted in his seat and pointed at the handcuffs around Stapen’s wrists, which were bound to a latch on the door, preventing him from lunging at Leon and decapitating him. “Yeah. Those… don’t worry about those. It’s just standard procedure for p-er, you know how it is, right?” He cleared his throat again, then leaned forward. “Look I’m not going to beat around the bush anymore. You want to kill me, I know. But if you want your nation back, you have to trust me. That’s the way it is. That’s all you’ve got right now.”

Leon bit his lip. “So… we need to kill off that impostor. Kill off Salvatoro and his band. After that, it’s just a matter of you setting things straight in the nation.” He cleared his throat again. “First thing I would do is clear Lso Yiskevi’s name. He’s gaining immense popularity among the people, and is going to be your biggest threat against a revolution. He’s a Vekaiyist… you may remember him as a who really fueled the Listonian-Vekaiyun union in the people. He was helpful before, now he’s become a real pain in the ass punk.” He laughed slightly.

The silence from his former partner was frightening. Without anything else to say to him, Leon leaned back in the seat of his limousine and nervously grabbed the handlebars near the door, refusing to take his eyes off Evesuni throughout the entire ride.

“Now,” said Evesuni as he cracked his neck with his freed hands, “have any of my passwords been changed?”

“N-no,” Leon replied, both his eyes swollen and his face covered in bruises. “No. No I kept everything the same. Your daughter hates you now though.”

Evesuni kicked him hard in the face again. “She’ll get over it.” He knelt next to his former friend and jammed a finger into a deep gash slashed into his left arm, which caused him to raise his head with an agonizing yelp. With his head raised, Evesuni grabbed Leon by the hair and slammed his head into the tiled floor. “You won’t.”

Leon spit out a spattering of blood and teeth as a groan gurgled from his mouth. “Just kill me already, dammit. Don’t… give me anymore grief. I freed you. All I ask is that you lead Listonia to… better days.”

A scowl appeared over Evesuni’s face. “No. You’ll bleed to death. If you care about this hellhole of a state you’ll keep your mouth shut and suffer in silence so no one else hears us.” A stern look followed the former leader’s face all the way to a computer - his old laptop - kept in Leon’s chambers. The next screen past the password still had his email up.

He began to read the emails he, or rather Leon, sent back and forth to his daughter and important figures in and around Listonia. The current situation in Listonia became clearer to him when he read reports from Vekaiyun news sites. He remembered the name Yeskevi, and, despite the occasional pitiful cries from the dying man next to him, hung onto his writings and transcripts. His so-called ‘rumors’, as it was portrayed by at least one Vekaiyun site, were confirmed when he returned to old emails.

The complete shift of military importance had crumbled Listonia’s already limited industry. An insane number of people - nearly fourteen million - were now ‘enlisted’ in the Listonian army. Conditions in Listonia had become so bad that the only way to guarantee a halfway decent lifestyle was to join the juggernaut of a department that couldn’t even support itself, let alone the general populace. Decreased productivity from the promising 2011 growing year meant the people were literally starving. Some had been put into camps to better control their numbers, branding them so-called political prisoners. If anything, the nation was probably more of a mess now than it was back in 2009 when it won independence.

“You bastard,” Evesuni said as his eyes shot over to Leon. “You bastard. This is what you want me to protect? You think I’d just die and have it go to hell? Would’ve done a better job than you clowns.” He paused to think a few scenarios over. After a few minutes, it became clear to him what he had to do.

He tore Leon’s phone from his person and hoped the number he remembered from before had not changed. He dialed it halfway, then grimaced and closed the phone. Choosing a different path, he opened the phone again and cycled through the contacts. Picking one, he simply sent one message.

— Begin quote from ____

I need to speak to you immediately. Im in my chambers.

— End quote

Vulshainian Embassy in Listonia

Honorable Citizen Lilia Shura looked out of her window in the Vulshainian Embassy. The Embassy Guards were wearing their CBAs and were keeping an eye out. It felt strange though. Inside the Embassy’s walls, there was calm and order, while outside, there was nothing but chaos and madness. Listonia was on the verge of civil war. Riots were starting to erupt. The rioters were mainly starving citizens.

“And who is to blame,” Lilia thought, “but Listonia’s own leader, Stapen Evesuni. The government here is nothing more than a military-industrial-government complex run amok!”

She picked up her phone, after dialing Chief Prime Minister Spencer, and called. “Yes sir, this is Honorable Citizen Shura. Just calling about my report on the situation here. Things are just getting worst sir. Riots and everything else. I have starving Listonians just walking down the streets. And every day, we see about three to five funeral possessions go by too. Usually it’s someone who has died of starvation. Not a good way to go, I’m sure.”

She stopped and listened. “Yes, sir. I have already informed all Vulshainians to be careful. If they feel like they need to leave the country, to do so at once. I also have started Vulshainian Refugee Protocol Code 54-Alpha-Delta-Niner-B. Yes, sir. Any Listonian refugee who seeks sanctuary within this Embassy’s walls will be given so. I will sir. Goodbye.” She hung up the phone. She continued to look out at the capital city of Listonia. The city was sometimes called the City of Cranes, mainly because of all of the cranes. Now, the cranes looked like gallows, ready to swing more victims. Lilia was a tall Lobo with gray and black fur, and auburn colored hair. She sighed as she looked at another funeral taking place. No, make that two funerals going by.

The imposter Evesuni entered Leon’s room. The lights had apparently been turned off. Perhaps he fell asleep waiting for him. Cautiously, he reached for the switch and flicked it on.

“You wa-”

He stopped. The switch wasn’t working. Sighing, he walked to the far end of the room to turn on a floorlamp. “Really you should turn on the damn lights. Now what is it that you want?” The man turned toward the bed and noticed Leon’s body near the post closest to him. He bit his lip and looked to the door, which closed by means of a black hand.

“Who are you?” the imposter asked.

“I would love to ask you the same question.” He held up a gun, presumably at one time belonging to Leon. “And now you’re going to sit there, and tell me everything you know about Stapen K. Evesuni.” He stepped forward.

“You’re going to kill me?” he asked, matter-of-factly.

“Why not? You killed me.”

He narrowed his eyes. “So, at last we meet.” He held up his hand as Evesuni took a step forward. “Stop. Stop right there. You take one more step and I’ll order a strike on Vekaiyu right now. It will kill both our nations!”

“That will only kill one nation, and you know it.”

“No,” he said as he shook his head, still smiling. “I will launch a chemical strike on them.”

Evesuni scoffed. “What do you believe was the conditions of the 2009 deal that transferred over WMD’s to Listonia from Vekaiyu? Surely you didn’t think Selvala would give a volatile nation weapons without having some form of control over them, did you? Those weapons require the consent of Ye’leli and Eldura to fire.”

“I’m not talking about those, you idiot! The ones that were reverse engineered! The ones that belong solely to Listonia!”

“Oh. Those. Where do you suppose the keys to such devices are?”

“There are none!”

“Go ahead. Order a strike, see what happens. They will ask you for the keys, of which you will have none. This will make my job that much easier.” He pointed the gun at him. “Sit the fuck down. I’m not done with you yet.” He walked up to him. “You and your punks tried to paint me as this evil dictator, this person who was hell-bent on war and oppression. I was never like that. I spent my whole life killing people, dammit!”

“If the glove fits the hand…” the imposter said as he reclined in the chair.

“Hand. They did a good job of covering up why I had bald patches on my hands at one point. Even my press said it was due to nerves.” He held up his left hand. “Here is your key. Embedded in the back of my hand. I had no intention on using it. You would have to kill me to use it, because I would not. I fought my whole life killing those who messed with people they had no business messing with. You think I’d become them? No. No that was never who Stapen Evesuni was.”

“And yet here you are, holding a gun to my face.”

“You murdered Stapen Evesuni.”

“Alright, listen.” He held up his hands. “I see where this is going. I can make you a deal. I can get you who you want. You want Salvatoro, don’t you? I can get you all of them - you have my word. When the deed is done, we part our separate ways. You have your nation back, I have a life to look forward to. Listonia is yours to control. Come on. Put the gun down. Let’s be sensible here.”

He drew his gun. “How do you plead?”

“Are you listening to me? Look, this can be all over tonight! Two hours! That’s all I ask!”

“Guilty as charged.” A shot rang out in the room as the imposter slouched in his seat, a hole between his eyes.

“I don’t deal with liars. Never have. Never will.” He placed the gun behind him, tucking it between the lip of his pants near his suspenders. As he searched the dead man for anything in his pockets, he nabbed a phone and quickly looked through the contacts. Finding the appropriate one, he dialed it.

“Kivo Evesuni! It is excellent to hear from you.”

“Cut the crap. I want two ks-11 missiles launched at Skendia. Stat.”

“Sir?”

“Yes?”

“Vekaiyu supposedly has a defense in their metropolitan areas to repel missiles.”

“I am aware of that. We will test it for them. Do it. Do it now. When Vekaiyu attacks, await my orders to fight back.”

“Sir…”

“Dammit, do it or I will have you and your family sent to a camp!”

“Yes sir!”

He hung up the phone and threw it across the room. Sighing, he looked at the two corpses in the room and grimaced. Whatever Stapen Evesuni was, and whatever Stapen Evesuni will be, was gone. The world would have to go on without him. A power void would plunge the nation into chaos, a chaos Vekaiyu would be left to settle out. Ikrisia. She’d never believe him if he told her what happened. Then again, did she ever believe him? Could she ever really know him?

He would’ve never raised her to believe someone like himself, even if he had been given the chance to raise her. It just wasn’t meant to be. Maybe he should write her a final note, or give her a final phone call to assure her and say everything he wanted to really say to her. But he was never a man of words. Looking down at the blood-stained tile, he reaffirmed himself that he was a man of action. And in action, he would be remembered.