Growing Pains

2740 Ilyastrovi St. (“The Stage”) Ye’leli

Ikrisia gazed out at the attendees as they sat evenly about a round wooden table, constructed of jaku wood, with a hollowed-out center. In that center sat a metal cauldron, on fire, with the Vekaiyun yellow-and-black star rising above the flames. Each chair was also constructed from jaku wood, but the high backs of the chairs had their tops disrupted by skillfully-carved crosses, crosses which stretched to the circular walls of the hall from the flames in the center of the room.

All representatives of The Vekaiyun Union in The East Pacific were present, but unlike other gathering halls of The Vekaiyun Union, this one was not known to the public. Instead, it was used as a place to discuss matters of extreme importance.

“I am glad you all could make it to our little gathering, scheduled just before the Christmas Holiday. I know under normal circumstances I would simply inform all of you over the phone, but the game has changed, and we therefore must make adjustments in order to further optimize our plan moving forward.” She raised a hand and pointed at the center of the cauldron as video screens projected from a hologram switched on in front of all attendants. “Draw your attention to the map on the screen. It is that of the Vekaiyun Union as it stands presently.”

http://i68.tinypic.com/2rdzoz6.png
“First, the business in Elphana. I have spoken to many of you regarding the situation there. As we all know, Vekaiyu currently controls about two-thirds of the Biyombo state. This state has not moved for quite some time, nor has it carried out any actions after the initial advancement.”

“Are we going to give it back?” Daszo Kivlevov, the human Premier of South Dveria, asked.

“It’s a precarious position,” Ikrisia replied. “Brought on by the clumsy actions of Lso Yiskvi. Initially I was ready to return the territory, but that was before the terrorist attack. This nation poses an immediate threat to the security of the region and not just The Vekaiyun Union. Indeed, the same could be said for any nation that does not have the capability to monitor such activity. This leaves us with two options. Either we monitor our borders, or we close the gaps, so to speak.”

“Close the gaps?” Aksynia Iluviyeri, Premier of Isklevyu, repeated.

Ikrisia pointed to the map. “If we secure Biyombo, we must move on and look at other areas of concern. Savenchorbund is securely in The Vekaiyun Union sphere of influence - securing their membership into this union is paramount if we are to shorten our border with the Pax, as a buffer state is hardly worthwhile when dealing with a nation of such power. The Serenitech hub, landlocked by Vekaiyu, will be forced to submit.” She smiled. “We have noticed your state has done well with Alleghenian refugees, Aksynia. To further limit the buffer states between us and the Pax, it may also become prudent to negotiate. Allegheny will need to be partitioned at the least. I don’t believe we are popular enough there to force a complete membership, but that might change, especially with the complete Pax annexation of Tasselvalta.” The states lit up as Ikrisia spoke, the map slowly expanding the Vekaiyun Union.

http://i67.tinypic.com/acbfbb.png
“This is to be the extent of the Vekaiyun Union by the close of 2017.”

Evesuni shook his head. “No. Why bother with them. They weren’t there for us. Why should we be there for them?”

Aksynia grimaced. “World’s different now. Everyone’s a cowboy these days.”

“Cowboy? What does that mean?”

“It means things move faster,” Ikrisia answered. “And nations are acting more irrational, more on impulse. I don’t know the intentions of the Pax or anyone for that matter. I do not know the intentions of anyone except for our intentions. Our intentions are good. And we have shown with the efforts in South Dveria and Allegheny that we’re willing to work with anyone who is rational and fair. We have demonstrated we want to be there for Urth.”

“What about the Elphene people?” Leina Kivlevov, a young vulpine female acting “just below” Daszo in South Dveria, asked. “They don’t like us. And they have good reason not to like us.”

Ikrisia nodded. “Apparently many nations are interested in that small nation. I am willing to keep the northern portion of the nation free and work with them to develop a plan of screening individuals there. If we retain Biyombo, we will open relations with Elphana, open trade, etc. They are already suing for peace, so we will present that offer to them. And, in reality, doing this will merit two possible outcomes: a buffer against the more palpable Sevropian state, or the Vekaiyification of Elphana in general. Though I do not believe the latter would be a viable outcome anytime soon. But the fact remains - 2016 will be an interesting year on Urth, and the growth of the Vekaiyun Union will champion that. Should we accomplish these goals, Vekaiyu will unquestionably dominate trade on Urth. That makes our union attractive to other nations who seek peace and prosperity. Together, we will rise above petty squabbles and truly reach for the depths of the ocean and the stars in the sky. Just stay the course.”

“Premier Levinile,” Kral Commodore Yamano Nevikalu addressed. “Ma’am. We’re ready to secure Biyombo on your orders. We’ve had officers stationed in the area since the initial invasion last year. We’re in position, as you’ve asked. Now I don’t know about you, but if it were me I’d reckon we annex it and get it over with.”

Ikrisia looked up from the paperwork covering her jaku wooden desk. “We are a bit tardy, aren’t we?” She smiled. “Nevikalu, you may begin the annexation process. Any chatter may be directed to me. International law dictates that a nation acting against an agressor may occupy a sect of land until peace has been declared - why not catalyze the process?” She prompted a holographic computer. Once it focused on the region, it highlighted red. “My plan for Biyombo is similar to that of Southern Dveria - snuff out any opposition quietly and allow their culture to subsist in the union. We will determine which nation officially annexes the province, but for all intents and purposes, the land is ours for the taking. Ensure the Elphenes are able to access peace after this move. We will, of course, oppose any foreign intervention and quickly label it as aggression by powers who have no business disrupting the vital Yasterian trade routes.”

Nevikalu nodded hesitantly. “Yes, ma’am.”

“Amass Listonian and Iskelvyun troops to encircle the Elphene state. We will subdue their opposition quickly if they believe they are being treated unfairly. Any nation that objects will be negotiated into submission. Frankly, I grow tired of having this opposition in our backyard. Any sort of opposition to this measure will result in the complete absorption of Elphana. So say The Vekaiyun Union.”