Hallways and Shadows [MANAIYA]

Garia Jacose looked at the clock above the door to her room. Tick tock tick tock it went. She looked at her desk. The radio sat there blaring the same news of the upcoming elections in a few months. It reminded her, that she has no time, that soon she would finish her second term as President and be forced into the streets.

Of course, she had no issues with that. As President, she was expected to resign her office willingly. However, Garia had felt something had bothered her, for the past few days as election campaigns began. She wasn’t able to fathom what was wrong. She turned in her chair and gazed out the window behind her.

Cars moved slowly down the street, as pedestrians walked and shouted at each other. Manaiya had recently declared itself independent, and things had gone smoothly. Garia was the second President of the nation, and her second term had began to reach it’s conclusion. It seemed she wouldn’t be able to leave her office with a peace of mind.

Garia looked at the radio and sighed, before reaching over her desk and switching the channel. She listened. The radio was now talking of the recent bill that had passed, where taxes were slightly decreased for the rich and increased for the poor. Only am insignificant amount, to be fair, so no one really worried at what this new law meant in the future.

Garia listened as the radio stated who had voted on the new law. She subconsciously realized that almost half the names who voted for the bill are people who regularly voted for these type of bills. The ones that were focused on the betterment of the rich. Garia stared at the radio for a moment. Then she leaned forward in her chair and laid her head down.

Corruption . That was what had been bothering her for the past month. The Parliament was corrupt. It wasn’t a secret either, multiple members present and past had been known to accept bribes and such. But this changed everything for the worse. If things went the way they did , Manaiya would soon have a ruling class using the spoils from the broken working class in a matter of years.

She pushed her head against her desk. It was also her fault that these laws passed. Garia had promised to work for all Manaiyans, and here she was signing laws that benefited the rich. The only way she was different from the Parliament was that she realized her crimes. They did not.

For a moment, she asked herself if she really had to do anything. In her heart though, she realized that she had to. She couldn’t trust the task to the next President. There really was no choice in the matter. The question was how would she accomplish the task.  Garia somehow had to purge the Parliament of its corruption. She couldn’t just call a referendum, she would then loose her seat to the Presidency. Leagally, the corrupt members of Parliament were doing nothing wrong and were law-abiding citizens. She had to get rid of them through other means.

Get rid of them. Garia then knew the perfect solution. Kill them off, one by one. It definetly wasn’t conventional, and probably can be done unnoticed. After killing a few, the rest would know who the other targets were, and force themselves to resign, or die. The threat of death would stop corruption from spreading much further in Parliament, and soon decrease it to a minimum.

Of course if she was found out, she would spend the rest of her life in prison. Even if she wasn’t going to do the actual killing, she would be held responsible for their murders.

But as her father used to quote from their old radio set,
“Sometimes you gotta do wrong to make things right.”

Garia walked. She looked at the buildings as she passed by them. They were slowly becoming more despaired, destroyed, abandoned as she walked on. She was wearing as black mask over her face. Only her eyes could be seen through the slits in it. They hinted at a certain deadliness in her, a quality which most humans didn’t possess.

The mask was worn by the Handlock mafia family in Manaiya. Manaiya had three mafia families, each with rivalries with each other. When Manaiya had declared independence, they had decided to set up in the new-born nation. Each family was against each other, with temporary alliances being made when seen beneficial. Everyone in Manaiya knew the mafia families, though not who was a part of them.

Garcia’s family had known connections with the mafia. It was why she had trouble winning her Presidential campaign to the Parliament, though luckily for her a scandal had taken down her opponent. Her second term was won easily after proving her merits in the first. Garia had not joined the mafia after her father had left it. She still kept connections with the family though, who still protected her family. Since her father had died, she was the last member in her family that the Hardlocks felt a need to protect.

Their protection was the way she had set up this meeting, by contacting one of the mafia sent to guard her, and telling her request to him. She was meeting with the daughter of an assassin that her father had worked with in the past. The daughter was said to be just as good if not better than her mother. If that was true Garia needed her if the plan was to be a success.
Garia reached the building she had been told to go to. She looked around her before she entered the building. Holes were in the floor, and the light had not worried properly for some time. It flickered as Garia strode over to where a person sat near a table. She was dressed in plain clothing, and would have blended into the crow if she had not had a large scar through her face. She stared at Garia for a moment. Garia shifted in her seat, before opening her mouth and leaning forward.

“How would you like to kill a politician?” The assassin looked at her before laughing.

“You are playing with me, aren’t you?” Garia shrugged.

“Yea, I am.” The assassin smiled a little before frowning again.

“Can you give me the targets?” Garia handed the piece of paper to the woman. The assassin looked over the paper for a second. “Most of these people are easy targets. I can do this for the normal fee. Twenty people though?” She looked at Garia. “That’s a lot.”

Garia nodded. “Not all the people I need dead, but the most important. The assassin nodded.

“Understood. I will have to target those on the list only though. Are you fine with that? Once I sign the contract, I can’t and won’t murder anyone else.” Garia nodded again.

“Yes, that is fine with me. See long as you kill those on the paper, I’ll be fine. Ah. I almost forgot. Can you make their deaths look like an accident?”

The assassin pursed her lips. “That will take an extra fee. Not easy you know.”

Garia nodded. “I’ll be able to pay.”

The assassin looked at her. “I’ll prepare the contract in a few days. Meet back here next Monday.”

Garia nodded. They both stood up and shook hands. Then Garia left the building.

She had things to do.

Her footsteps resound in the silent streets. Clomp. Clomp. Everyone thought being an assassin meant you had to be stealthy and silent. They weren’t always wrong. However, the places where the common folk did get it wrong was when it was easier to hide in plain sight, rather than act like a ninja. Which was almost always.

She looks around the large mansion. It looked like it was from the 1850s, with large windows and doors, and a spacious, landscaped lawn. It was quite a scary place at night, looking more like a fortress than anything else. The assassin walks up to the security guard holding a milk jug. She looks like a harried maid who had to run an errand before going home.

The security guard looks at her. “You’re the new maid? What are you doing carrying a milk jug?”

The Assassin huffs a great deal. “I came here earlier when you were a-” huff] “home.”

The guard frowns. “Let me see your ID”. Aras Kaunas was a very paranoid politician. He had all his staff enter though one gate with one security guard, however the Assassin had actually applied a while back to by a maid. Aras’s hiring staff was over worked and couldn’t get enough people to meet Aras’s demand of new workers. They allowed virtually anyone to get the job, provided they didn’t look too bad in the looks department.

It was hard to find people willing to be maids in the 1970s.

“Here, lemme get it, it’s clipped on my side… ah here it is.” She thrusts her hip to the side, revealing the ID. The guard is momentarily distracted before nodding. “Ye-yes, see-seems real. You c-can enter.”

The Assassin huffs a little and passes by the guard, swaying her hips before entering through the gate. Another thing the assassin was trained in was disguise. Though naturally pretty, she was taught to make herself beautiful in many different ways possible along with how to kill people in multiple ways as well. The first skill helps her a lot to use the second.

She lugs the milk to a corner and sets it down behind a bush. She sighs. “Damn hard on the back.” She stretches her back for a bit, before walking off to the dining room.

She arrives soon enough in the large dining room, where multiple people are awaiting their dinner, with Aras at the end of the table. The room is a plush affair, with lamps and long ornate designs on the carpet. There were no electrical lights present, instead an actual chandelier was handing in the room.

Ignoring him like a normal maid would, she heads to the kitchen and receives a plate to serve to Aras. She checks the plate carefully, only moving to give him the food after checking that the plate is indeed meant for him, with the food she likes… While she walks, she discreetly slips a small, tasteless and fine power over the plate, just enough to kill him without anyone noticing.

She sets the plate in front of Aras, and moves back to the kitchen. When she returns she is carrying the plate of another family member, and after serving it, pours some water with the antidote into the taster’s cup. She then moves away, calmly ignoring the shouts for water.

After a few minutes, one of the head maids tells her that she must leave the premises and hand over her ID. She was being fired for not doing her job correctly. The Assassin smiles. She hands the ID and bowed, before leaving the grounds. She does another little show for the security guard, and at the next street over promptly gets rid of her maid uniform and puts some normal civilian clothing.

Her mission was finished. By morning, the poison would have taken effect and he would be dead. They would trace the murder back to her, but her fake alias meant that no one could track her to who she really was.

The first murder of many.

She couldn’t wait to see the news.