Hell's Reach

— Begin quote from ____

“And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.”

-Revelation 20:13

— End quote

“Command Alpha, this is Nama, over.”
“Command Alpha, go ahead Nama. Over.”
“We found the location of the Caster. Sonar says it’s mostly intact surprisingly. No sign of movement or life. It is only located 220 meters below the surface and not the 500 metres initially feared. It appears to be lodged on a submerged section of shallow seabed. Over.”
“Acknowledged. Carry out your orders as we discussed. If engaged by any hostiles, including zombies, retreat immediately but make sure any critical equipment is destroyed. That is your priority. Over.”
“Understood, Nama out.”

Nama then started marking out crosses on the map in front of him. He then double checked his orders.

— Begin quote from ____

SID Operative: Nama (生)
Date: 03 December 2009
Orders: Locate, where safe and practical, the wreck of the Type 42 Destroyer HMDS Caster. Once located, use the crew, equipment and other resources supplied to you to descend to the deck and recover any sensitive equipment onboard, as detailed on appendix A and B of these orders. If this is not possible then you are authorised to destroy any sensitive equipment and if necessary put the entire wreck beyond use.

— End quote

Nama checked the list of equipment. Chief among the equipment was the ships logs. The Central Government was still looking for information on what resulted in the sinking of one of their principle warships, as the last few frantic radio transmissions gave little details on what was actually going on, other than crew members panicking and attempting to repel boarding masses of undead.

“Get the submersible ready!” Nama shouted to the rest of the crew on the ship he was on. They saluted and quickly prepared the submersible, a small rescue and research vessel pressed into salvaging duties. Nama prepared some of his own personal equipment ready to dive.
“Get 2 divers ready as well. We might need them just in case.”
“Aye sir!”[hr]“215 meters…220…wreck of the Caster is in sight. It’s on it’s side.”
“Roger that…commencing dive exploration…be careful in there…”

Nama sighed as he watched from the porthole of the submersible. The two divers made their way slowly into the ship via a hatch which had been jammed open. He waited, listening passively to the chatter between the divers and the mothership on the radio.
“Diver 01, we found something. It’s the main log.”
“Roger. Secure it and keep looking for any items of interest. Don’t take too long now.”
“Wilco…”[hr]After several hours, involving the changing of divers for safety reasons, they finally recovered most of the items on the list. Nama found himself rifling through the log, both the written records and the voice recordings, to check the goings on prior to and during the zombie attack. Most of which were standard combat records. However, a quick look at the last entry revealed some information.

“Hmm…zombies can swim fairly long distances after all…or at least these ones did…enough to get onto the ship…this is bad…better warn Command,” Nama thought as he dialed up the radio frequency for Command Alpha once more.

With the vessel staying at the site of the wreck for 9 days, Nama was satisfied the work was done. He had asked for one last item from the crew, which was the ships logbook. This hadn’t been found though, despite several days of non-stop searching.

Just as Nama was about to order the ship back to port, he was called the submersible recovery deck.
“We have a little surprise for you sir,” the crewman intimated. Curious, Nama headed down the stairs to the recovery deck. On the deck, the crew of the submersible were smiling.
“We managed to recover the logbook as well as a backup disk of the electronic log,” the sailor commented, “Both are heavily water logged but we think we can get some useful data out of them.”
Nama nodded.
“Dry them both off and I’ll have a look.”
“Yes sir.”[hr]Nama was looking through the now dried pages of the logbook. The standard Dannistrian Naval logbook was deliberately made out of a toughened paper which was water resistant to a depth of 100 metres for at least 2 months. The book had been submerged in water double that distance, which took it’s toll. Nonetheless, it was in better condition that many expected it to be. Most of the entires were routine, detailing the ships movements and any drills that were carried out. Nama turned to the back to find the more frantic entries describing the chaos that occurred on encountering the sea faring zombies. On the very last entry was a short message from the commanding officer.

— Begin quote from ____

00:50 EPT: A tactical Mayday has been broadcasted. I have ordered all hands who can do so to abandon ship. Those who cannot are to either fight off the infected with anything and everything. I am preparing to play my one last trump card on the bridge. I have decided to scuttle the Caster to prevent any infected from reaching the vessels of Task Force 03 and any remaining vessels of Task Force 02. I have already armed the remote detonation switch and advised all crew members manning the manual local detonation charges to prepare to scuttle the ship.

I would like to say, if anyone finds this logbook and disputes the events that have happened here today, as far as I’m concerned, my crew has acted with distinction throughout it’s time out at sea. It was an honour to work with this crew and I hope that if in the unlikely circumstances we get out of this alive, I will vouch for this crew to my dying days.

Captain Sam’mahn’th Gah’tahr
HMDS Carter

— End quote

“Sir! We have a problem!”
Nama looked up from the logbook, “Yes?”
“Infected have appeared on a dinghy…they are heading towards us!”
“What?!”
Nama scratched his head as he ran out his cabin. Outside, several crew members were shouting panicked commands at one another as they raised moorings and readied themselves to escape. Nama looked out towards the horizon. Several zombies flailing on a small boat could be seen about 900 yards away.
“Where did they come from?! Wasn’t anyone keeping watch?!” he shouted as the vessels motors roared into life…

“Open fire! OPEN FIRE!”
“Dammit! What is going on?!”
“INFECTED! 4 O’CLOCK!”
“HAL’VO HAV’NAR! HAL’VO…”

The crewman was cut off as a large explosion rocked the ship. Nama found himself thrown to the deck. Picking himself up, he looked over the side of the vessel to find that in their panic to escape the surprisingly swift movement of the zombies, the vessel had wandered into the wreck of a minelayer from Task Force 02. Amongst the debris were several active mines.

“Oh great…minefield!” one of the crew wailed.
“Calm down! We’ll find a way out of this!” Nama shouted, looking around for a safe path. The currents had carried the mines off into different directions. Some where submerged amidst the waves.

“Infected! Six o’clock!”
Nama turned around to see several zombies from the dinghy had now resorted to flailing towards them in the water. Several gunshots rang out, stopping some of the group.

Nama, unimpressed by the fracas, made his way up the stairs to the bridge of the vessel.
“Captain, can I ask why we are just standing here? We have zombies attacking us! I know there are mines but…”
The Captain shot an angry look at Nama.
“I would leave if I could but that last mine damaged the engines! Sir!”
Nama looked back at the rear of the ship and then turned back to the captain.
“In that case…I’m heading down there to help…”
Before the captain could express his surprise, Nama was already jumping down the stairs to the engine room…[hr]Nama grabbed a lattern hanging from the wall and looked around the darkness of the engine room. Water was starting to flood in through several broken pipes.

“Hello? Anyone there?”
Nama directed the lattern in several directions. He couldn’t see anyone around.
“Dammit…crew must’ve abandone…”
Nama stopped when he heard a loud moan from a far corner of the deck. He turned the lattern towards the noise.
“Hello?”
The moaning got louder. Nama drew his sidearm and looked further into the deck.
“Hello? Anyone there?”

He then could make out a hunched figure on the floor, water pouring on the person. Nama feared the worst and slowly backed out. Just as he reached the stairs, the figure looked up.
“UURRGGHH!”
“INFECTED!” shouted Nama as he opened fire at the figure and shut the door…