Into A World So Close, And Yet So Distant

The sound of the surf rolling against the rocky shore and the cry of the terns overhead filtered through the open windows of the Great Hall of To’atep Village. Sunbeams streamed through the window, casting long rays across the polished wooden planks and woven rugs of the floor, across the great painted shields hanging from the walls in places. The decor would have appealed to Lani any other day.

Today she’d looked at it a thousand times from her seat in a small basket chair well behind the three concentric rings of similar chairs arranged around the circular fire bowl perched at the centre of the room. More than a thousand. After repeated viewings, it was still more interesting than the actual meeting unfolding before her over the past four and a half hours, with countless more to come.

That wasn’t saying much.

“I see no compelling reason to go forward with building a water treatment on Taraba,” slurred an elderly man with whispy silver hair drawn back into a short ponytail, standing and wagging a bony finger at the other couple hundred old men arranged around the circle. Lani couldn’t put a name to the face - she’d long since lost track of the names of most of the men on the Council of Councils. “Obviously such a facility needs to go somewhere where there will be no impact on the environment,” the councillor continued before clasping his hands together. “Now, if the council will consider a small facility on the islet of Oalan Tepu…”

Of course, Lani realized, lowering her eyelids a little with consternation across the clear amber-brown of her eyes. Another council member from Oalan’a playing politics with anything remotely like progress. Whittling everything down to halfway measures and trying to move even those close to home.

Another reedy old man rose waveringly from his seat, jabbing a finger. “You would seek to build more technology,” he accused with a rasp. “Our islands have sustained us since the dawn of time. We should trust in the spirits of the land to sustain our people. This project is unnecessary.”

“The councilman is right,” cried another old fossil of a representative from a rear row. “Why do we need to stain our land with technology, anyway?!”

Lani’s thoughts immediately leapt to the answer - Because, you wrinkled cretin, there weren’t two million people living on a string of small islands at the dawn of time. Now there are, and they need fresh water without draining the lakes in the process. If you don’t do this, you’ll lose the lakes and condemn our people to drought. She held her tongue, suppressing a hot, bitter surge of frustration in the back of her throat. The Speaker of the Council, ironically, had no right to speak at these Council of Councils meetings - only to convey the decisions of the Council if needed. Being an elaborate public relations spokesperson rankled her.

The young woman, sleek-figured and buxom, reached up to brush the single microbraid woven into her shoulder-length chestnut hair away from a tanned cheek. She suppressed the urge to sigh as she crossed her arms under her chest again and reclined deeply in her chair as the councillors continued to bicker back and forth before her.

I wish I knew which spirits I offended in a past life, she reflected to herself as the argument played on. I’m 25 and in the prime of my life, and I’m wasting it in this fake position of power listening to a bunch of old naked men talk themselves in tight circles without ever deciding anything.

She looked up with a small sigh, pretending to focus on the argument, letting the minutes blur together before finally, the short, long-bearded old man standing before a small pedestal picked up a conch shell, rapping it on the table to signal for order. “The speakers are out of order,” wheezed the Convener of the Council. “I rescind your time for the moment, Councillor Tepo. Councillor Jamun to speak. Please, I would appreciate it if you would try to address Council through the chair this time.”

Typical of old man Ruwan, Lani reflected - always too slow to rein in what he considered a fair exchange of valid opinions but what was actually a parochial, backwards bunfight between crusty old men dragging their petty village issues into federal politics.

Such as federal politics were in Wanamon.

It was far from the first time Lani had harboured bitter thoughts about the Council of Councils. Now, as the next handpicked old man rose from his bench to bloviate about some parochial local issue nobody except the people in his village cared about, the young government spokeswoman crossed her legs and folded her hands over her bare midriff, pretending to listen, but in fact lost in thought.

This country is going to be the laughingstock of the international community, she reflected, not for the first time. This isn’t a government. It’s a group of wrinkled old jesters who can’t see past their own villages. If we’re going to be a country, someone needs to run it like they care. Someone needs to get us modern. Someone needs to fix this country.

Another idea clicked in the back of her mind - I need to fix this country.

The thought startled Lani enough that she blinked a couple of times. Immediately she dismissed the notion.

Then she doubled back and, warily, picked it up again.

Arama Windward smiled a wide, shining smile as the crown of lush green swelled on the horizon, drawing closer with every metre and mile.

The crisp ocean air billowed through the young man’s thick, wavy hair, dark but shot through with blond highlight, the sound of the wind dulling the constant thrum of the outboard motor as the gleaming white yacht shot across the gleaming waters towards the island of Oalan’a. The cries of forked terns echoed overhead, most of them falling behind as the craft dashed onward. All of it was just like Arama remembered from a youth spent on the fishing catamarans, seemingly an age ago.

“Miss it, kid?”

The gruff, warm voice drew a low laugh from Arama as he stepped back from the bow. “I did. Seeing it, I really did,” he said, turning to smile at the man approaching him. He never did quite place Captain Menin’s nationality - something northern, he thought, the forty-something man just as sunkissed and tanned as Arama but obviously more naturally fair, with blond hair fading to white and a wide smile beneath a bushy moustache the likes that even at 27, Arama couldn’t manage to grow. He’d pegged the man for Prussian at first, but that wasn’t quite it.

He had a pretty decent pool of nations to guess from. He’d gotten fairly good at telling them apart over the years.

Menin pushed back his hair with a rough hand, the wind tugging at the open collar of his white shirt as he looked out over the rail. “It’s going to be different for ya, kid,” the captain mused, smile relaxing ever so slightly. “Not too many people from these islands ever leave.”

“Yeah,” Arama conceded, anxiety gnawing at his stomach as he turned to watch the island draw nearer and nearer. “And I’ve been gone for a long time. Five years.”

“That’d make ya, what, one of the first ones who went to school on the mainland?”

“Yeah.” Arama looked down at himself for a moment, adjusting the flower-printed shirt he wore open over a pair of simple yellow shorts - Maybe that’s too much, part of him wondered.

“What’d ya study?”

“Civil engineering, actually.”

Menin’s eyebrows arched a little. “Not a big market for that where you’re goin’, ah? I’ve been to a lot of corners of the world and I’ve never seen a bunch of people so happy livin’ the simple life in their villages. Happy, though.”

“Yeah… yeah, I remember.” Arama sighed for a moment as he looked back towards the dot of green, less a dot now than a looming swath of forested shoreline, more easily made out as the speedy yacht began to slow to a more gradual approach. Not a cityscape or even a shipyard in sight. Familiar, yet in a way, the difference was almost as shocking as it was for him to put on pants for the first time, to step into a city where cars were everywhere and buildings were made of concrete and glass and steel, to experience life in a place with more modern amenities per square mile than trees. A diverse place, but one where he stood out in school as different. Wanamonians are normally beautiful people as it is; Arama had been told countless times he was moreso than most, even without the added factor of being the only Walanic man in a school of mostly Caucasians.

He shook his head. “I think that’s why my family wanted me to go, to be honest. So I could bring back something that could maybe change things there a little bit, even if it’s just knowledge.”

Menin smiled at that. “Sometimes I wonder why anyone would want to change a place like that.”

“You wonder, huh,” Arama murmured as he folded his arms on the rail, looking off to his left at a shape coasting through the water not far away. A simple catamaran, its rough sail weathered and unpainted, coasting along through the waves.

On the deck of the smaller ship, Arama could make out a pair of figures standing, both men, wiry and bare with hair drawn back into tight braids. He could also make out the taller of the two holding a longbow and an arrow, not drawn, but ready to draw them at a moment’s notice. The pair on the catamaran watched the yacht skim past, like something out of another world.

With a huff of breath, Menin began to make his way back towards the tiller. “Every damn time,” he muttered to himself.

Arama just sighed and pushed his long hair back again.

Not for the first time, it occurred to him how he’d changed in five years. He’d gotten used to wearing, at least, shorts and a shirt; he’d gotten used to speaking French; he’d adjusted to having a TV and a phone within arm’s reach and typing out his reports on a computer in an air-conditioned room under an electric light. He even had a surname, one he’d literally pulled out of a dictionary because he’d needed one on his registration forms, figuring it was close enough to his old epithet - “Soso’fafela,” or “towards the wind.”

As the yacht began its approach towards the little dock in the village of Kililap, the only village on the island with both a harbour and a dock capable of handling even a modest modern yacht, Arama felt fingers of apprehension beginning to clench around the shining ball of joy nestled within his chest. And he wondered, yet again, if he would turn out to be simply too different now to ever go home again.

One by one, the last of the old men doddered from the great hall at the edge of the village of Aluku - the latest meeting place for the Council of Councils. A few torches still flickered in their sconces, casting shadows across the plank walls and across the rugs of the floor. The lectern still stood at the centre of the conversation circle, but the conch was gone, taken by old man Ruwan.

Pushing the back door open with a slow caution, careful not to make a sound, Lani eased her way back into the empty room.

In a way, she preferred the Seat of the Conch - wherever it happened to be that week - without the Council in it. Most governance in Wanamon took place at the local level, in village councils, forcing her to endure meeting after meeting of the collection of old men on the Council of Councils discussing the most minor things. The tiny concerns of a nation too inward-gazing to engage in serious diplomacy and trade, instead fussing over minor parochial concerns over essential things like infrastructure.

On slow, bare feet, the young Speaker circled through the rows of seats. Most of the basket chairs were empty, now. The elders had taken their cushions and blankets and wandered off. It was easier, somehow, for her to look around the circle when all the seats were empty, without a wrinkled old body occupying each, none of them younger than 55, or so she assumed.

She smiled as she approached the podium where the Convener would stand. Rested her hand on the lip of it. For a moment, drew herself up with a toss of her head, flipping her hair back away from her face almost imperiously, knowing the entire image was a touch absurd - that a young girl could never hold the Conch, that the job held no authority anyway, that the eldest member of the Council always got this position through sheer age and tenure.

It was nice to pretend otherwise sometimes.

A sharp knocking sound stirred her, then - a rap against something wooden. She jumped a little and caught her breath, startled as she whirled to the door - to find herself no longer alone. The woman standing there was a little taller and a little older than Lani herself, around 30, with sharp features and short-cropped jet-black hair, her coffee-cream skin bare save for a strand of beads about her hip and a coral bangle about each wrist.

“I’m sorry if I’m disturbing you, Speaker,” the woman said, her voice low and measured. “I didn’t mean to.”

“Oh,” Lani assured as she steadied herself, raising a hand and offering up a smile. “Not at all. Is there something I can help you with?”

The woman’s eyes, a striking shade of blue-green rarely seen on the islands, did not leave Lani, steady as she took a couple of steps further into the room. “Maybe,” she said with a slight crinkle of her sharpish nose. “My name is Telea. I was hoping to talk to someone from the Council about something.”

“The Council has recessed for the evening, miss,” Lani apologized quietly, folding her hands in front of herself. “As the Speaker I don’t have the authority to speak at Council. But I can listen and possibly help you come before the Council next time.”

“When will they be here next, then?”

Lani could not stop a hint of mild bitterness from edging her tone. “It could be months.”

Telea crossed strong arms under her bust and let out a short, annoyed huff. “And I imagine they will waste most of that time arguing over whether or not roads are a good thing or whether we should bother to build a school,” she muttered acidly.

“The Council tends to debate issues thoroughly,” Lani answered as diplomatically as she could.

“Yes.” The other woman’s eyes dipped to the ground for a moment before she forced them up to fix on Lani. “I ran for local councillor once because I wanted to change bigger things. The youth of all the villages in this region know there’s a world out there. Many of them want to leave the islands. The Council needs to know that we need to change things and become a part of the world in more than name, or nobody will want to stay here anymore.”

A hard lump rose in Lani’s throat; she forced herself to swallow it. “I understand,” she said, her voice quiet in her ears. “I… don’t know if the Council will.”

“I know they won’t,” Telea muttered. “But someone has to say something. Someone has to give our children a reason to stay here. A life that’s more than just fishing from a hut all day.”

Slowly, Lani stepped forward, unwilling to stop herself. A tiny voice in the back of her mind screamed at her to let it lie. For a moment, she wondered if it wouldn’t be a better idea to do just that.

Instead, she offered the woman a hand. “I can get you before the Council,” she said quietly. “Come with me to the next meeting. I can arrange transportation for you.”

Telea’s eyes widened a little, before softening as she smiled and reached out with a stronger hand, clasping Lani’s in a grip like iron.

“You do understand,” she said with a note of fierce approval.

Lani nodded, once. And smiled, momentarily glad she wasn’t the only one.

The sunlight streamed through the canopy and across his face. It felt good - like taking the hand of an old friend.

With a warm laugh, Arama Windward hopped over a particularly large stone along the edge of the brook, following the path he remembered so keenly even after his years away. Everything jumped out at him - the trees, the flowers, the way the stream chattered over the rocks of the familiar route away from the village he’d come to think of as home again. Even the feeling of the sultry tropical air on his skin, with nothing between him and the world.

He couldn’t believe he’d worried that much about coming home. It had taken some readjusting. No more getting up to an alarm clock buzzing mechanically, but being woken by the sound of the surf, the call of the suncocks from the trees, the laughter and banter of the fishermen as they headed for the boats in the morning. No more homework; no more cars. No more noxious pollution in the air.

About the only thing he missed was a decent Internet connection.

But he could live without it, he realized as he turned past the big rock at the brook’s edge and rounded the familiar shock of mape trees, practically dashing up the shallow slope to the little rocky outcrop above the deep natural pool he’d spent so much time beside growing up. Immediately he caught sight of the most familiar landmark of all: The ten-foot-tall stylized face and shoulders carved from stone, the ancient ancestor monument, the old muwa greened by moss and smoothed by time.

“Yes! Still here,” Arama crowed and practically jumped, before sprinting up to the edge of the outcrop and diving off without a second’s thought.

The air whipped past him before he sliced through the clear blue water like a knife. A couple of small fish scattered as he went under, long hair - he’d grown it past his shoulders since getting back - fanning out around him.

With a breath, Arama popped above the surface, whipping his hair back with a grin. It felt damned good to be home.

Then he paused. Blinked a couple of times. Did a quick double-take and turned to look towards the near shore of the lake. Towards the figure standing there.

“It wasn’t going to go anywhere,” commented the young woman.

“Uhh. Right,” Arama managed with a blush and a lopsided grin, momentarily at a loss for words. It wasn’t that she was absolutely stunning, around his own age with warm caramel skin and a small beaded string about her hips, chestnut hair about shoulder-length with a little microbraid woven into it. The very faint dusting of freckles about her nose caught his eye but he didn’t think to ask how someone with her complexion could actually have them.

Mostly because he knew that face. He opened his mouth a bit, then closed it, as she offered up a smile, folding her arms under her chest and relaxing against a standing stone by the pool’s edge. “No, really. I’ve never seen someone so excited to find nature right where he left it,” she dared, her smile small and teasing.

“Ah-ha,” Arama answered, rising to that tone readily and flashing a wider, steadier grin this time. “Well, that’s what happens when it’s been awhile, right?”

“There’s that.” She shrugged one shoulder. “How’s the water?”

“Great!” he responded almost without thinking about it. “Are you coming in, Miss Speaker of the Council Lani Kemo’an?”

A surge of irrational satisfaction hit Arama Windward for a second as he realized he’d turned the tables on her. It was her turn to look surprised; she blinked twice. “You recognize me,” she said, mildly startled. “I’m surprised.”

“Why? You’re on TV all the time reading some kind of statement.”

“Most people here don’t have a TV,” the Speaker pointed out. “Either I give a speech or it gets sent around on newsprint.”

“Oh, um. That’s true. Sorry, Miss Speaker.”

“You don’t have to do that,” she said with a wave of one hand. “I’m not working. It’s not like we aren’t both people.”

“Right, right,” Arama answered with a hint of apology; he’d had to readjust to that, too - the lack of real status differences here. The lack of clothing helped. Wading through the water, he moved up towards the shore a little ways, but only up to about his waist. He laughed ruefully and rubbed the back of his neck with one hand. “Anyway. I was away from the islands for a few years so I kept up with things by TV. International learning and all that.”

Her expression changed immediately, dark eyes widening a little as small sparks of colour touched her cheeks. “You’ve been off the island?” she asked intently, smile returning. “What’s it like.”

“Different,” Arama answered with a wave of his other hand. “Everything’s made out of concrete and machines. You get around in machines, wake up to machines, go to sleep surrounded by machines… it’s really convenient, but the atmosphere is fairly lousy.”

“In what way?”

Arama grimaced as he tried to put it into words. “Well… all those machines give off noxious fumes. They build up in the air and you can feel the difference when you breathe. It’s a lot easier to breathe here, even if there aren’t as many conveniences.”

Lani lowered her eyelids a little at that, eyes dipping to the water, holding on a spot just ahead of Arama. A few seconds’ silence hung awkwardly in the air as the Speaker seemed to process that.

“Do you… like it better here?” she asked, finally. “Or out there?”

It was Arama’s turn to go silent - more or less. “Uhhhhh,” he managed, looking up to the canopy overhead. The sunlight streamed down across his face once again, dancing in his eyes.

For all those conveniences in the other world, he had missed this, he realized. Being home, in this perfect environment, surrounded by beautiful people, without his entire life controlled by a machine. “It’s sort of that… I liked both,” he admitted as he looked back down to the Speaker. “They did a lot of really good things over there… like hospitals and sciences and some modern conveniences. But the environment was awful. No green. Just concrete.”

Lani’s eyes sparkled with intent. “What’s your name?”

“Arama,” he answered. “Arama Windward.”

“Windward?”

“Soso’fafela,” he amended. “Sorry. Too used to the translation.”

“What’d you go away for?”

“To study. Uh. Civil engineering.”

Slowly, the woman stepped forward, beginning to wade into the water.

“Tell me everything,” she urged. “I want to hear more about the outside world.”

(OOC: Double post, please delete.)

“There is a world out there and you need to give our children a reason to stay here!” the woman, Telea Nu’unia, exhorted.

From his position at the head seat, Ruwan Eali, convener of the council, forced himself to remain attentive to this young person’s extended rant, and to not let his attention drift across the circle of the Council of Councils. To observe the stony faces of the other council members as they listened to the woman’s harangue.

Telea continued on about the outside world. About technology. None of it was news to old Ruwan, old though he was. None of it especially enticed him.

“Our young people know what the rest of the world can offer,” Telea urged, her tone sharp as she gripped the edges of the public speaker’s podium. “If we don’t begin to understand that - if we can’t be a modern country - then we deny our children opportunities they could only find on some continent somewhere. Please, I beg you - consider our young people!”

A moment’s silence hung in the air as the woman wrapped up. The council members looked at each other. Ruwan suppressed the urge to sigh.

It wasn’t a new argument to him - this idea that the islands, with the name “Wanamon” slapped upon them only in the past few years, somehow needed to change overnight. That it was somehow no longer good enough to be a land of happy people who lived simple, pure lives.

He did not hate it. But it wearied him after decades of hearing it.

“We go to council questions and comments,” Ruwan said finally.

Dozens of hands went up. Ruwan inclined his head, old eyes darting about as quickly as they did these days. “Councillor Keali to speak,” he invited, privately hoping he didn’t miss someone before the familiar councillor.

The man of about sixty - an easy twenty-five years or so younger than Ruwan - lurched out of his basket chair and leveled a finger at Telea. “Are you seriously making the tired argument that the only course for these islands is to somehow throw away our traditional way of life?” he scoffed. “The traditions of our people go back hundreds, thousands of years. Do you believe that those should be thrown away? That we should chop down the forests and raze the beaches and become a land of concrete?”

Telea blinked twice, then knitted her brows into a scowl. “All I am saying is that we have to give our children some semblance of an education and a modern life! We need a government that will do that.”

“That kind of government-”

“I remind the councillor,” Ruwan chided for what had to be the twentieth time in Keali’s case, “that follow-up arguments are not allowed until the second round of questioning. Councillor Apipara to speak.”

A flushed-faced, scowling Keali dropped back into his basket as another councillor, a reedy man with a few thin whisps of hair, rose. “When this country first became a federal system,” the old Nauean councillor, Apipara, began, “a decision was made not to have a strong federal system. What we call Wanamon now is actually a diverse group of people with different needs. The wisdom of the time was… that an executive with great power would pit one ethnic group against others… or favour one island over the others… or simply ignore the needs of the villages. So I present this to you, Miss Telea… is what you face not a problem for your village? Or should we apply what you ask to all people regardless of what they wish?”

Telea’s jaw hung for a half-second before she snapped it closed. cheeks flushing slightly. “With respect, councillor, that is not a fair question. The world is going to pass all of us by, not just individual villages!”

“Councillor Imet,” Ruwan began, but the next councillor was already clambering to his feet and pointing a finger. “This council,” the old man shouted wheezily, “will not revisit the dictatorship debate! This country cannot have a president who exercises broad executive control!”

“Is that the councillor from Oalan’a presuming to speak for all of us?!” roared a middle-aged councilman from the edge of the circle.

“Order, please,” urged Ruwan, knowing already that it was hopeless.

Imet’s large eyes bulged dangerously. “All of the councillors worth anything agree with me!” he spat. “How can we ever trust an executive to represent all of the people? How can we paint all of us with the same colours?! That is nonsense!”

“The councillors from Kilindi don’t want to be dictated to!” another voice shouted.

“Maybe we should just close the borders,” a thin voice put in.

“Are you mad,” another screamed.

At the podium, Telea just watched the council break down into a shouting match. Ruwan looked on as the woman’s expression flickered from shock to distaste to a sullen bitterness.

The old man sighed, simply letting the argument run its course.

His gaze slid through the seats, to the back corner where the Speaker sat. For a moment, the Convener’s eyes held Lani Kemo’an’s.

The quiet resignation there seemed different that what Ruwan felt - and yet, not so different.