Invited and Uninvited

— Begin quote from ____

Premier Levinile,

I have both read and heard of your desires to restore the royal family in Vekaiyu to their proper place as rulers of this great nation. It is my understanding Leina Kivlevov is under the watchful eyes of one of the better private schools in all of Eldura. My relatives would be quite thankful for your efforts.

Allow me to introduce myself. I am Yuso Ismeliku, Count of Eldura. While my title has not been officially recognized by the Vekaiyun government since I inherited it some ten years ago, it is my hope and surely the hope of my family both alive and dead that you would be willing to restore the titles of myself and the others who were wrongfully stripped of their holdings some thirty years ago.

But I grow weary of business. I simply must visit you and I won’t take no for an answer! I wish to get to know this Premier of Vekaiyu and understand where you are coming from with your new and somewhat radical policies of Vekaiyu. Surely you cannot rid our nation of its pride - we are a proud nation that has survived well on its own for thousands of years. Despite the trepidations and tribulations of the past, we have shown a resilience that is unparalleled across the entire realm. I do hope you will agree with me when I say more nations should be learning from us and not the other way around!

I must digress. I shall await your prompt and punctual response. Until we meet, best of luck to the left left and the right of your shoulders!

Signed,
His Imperial Yuso Ismeliku
Uncreated Count of the Duchy of Eldura in Abeyance

— End quote

Ismeliku Estate, Province of Eldura

Yuso comforted himself on the finer points of life his ancestors enjoyed many generations ago. He was a skilled horseman who often rode into the Vekaiyun countryside to clear his mind. He was an excellent jouster and would joust with other family members or simply citizens who wished to test their skills to a master of the lance and shield. His swordsmanship was just as strong as his vocabulary, and he prided himself at being well versed in the Vekaiyun classical literature and plays. Truly, he was a man about past culture.

But why Ismeliku? It was one of about nine Vekaiyun families that were privileged to take the royal throne. Rather than dabble in dynasties, Vekaiyu had a rather complex hierarchy of a chain of command. Had Leina Kivlevov not survived, or simply never existed, he, being the Count of Eldura, would be next in line to the throne. Upon hearing the child was alive, his heart sank, but he could never bring himself to plot her death - his honor was just a tad too much. It was an unfortunate event. Not being invited to the CINTEP meeting in Pittsburgh was even more unfortunate.

He ducked slightly as his steed cleared a low-lying branch. The Vekaiyun sun began to set, peeking from behind a forested vale ready to breathe in the new springtime air, still cooled from the morning rain. Yuso smiled as he moved his black hair of middle length away from his eyes. His fur was as red as blood - a sharp contrast to the white shirt and gray breeches he wore. He slapped his black polished boots against the sides of the horse as the animal gained speed.

But someone was in the distance. The rhythmic clomping of the hooves were slowed when Yuso pulled on the reigns, the majestic beast moving its front legs up as it came to a stop near where the man was located. It was the quartermaster. “Whoa,” he said as the horse calmed down. “I say, you nearly gave her quite a startle,” he said to the man.

“Sorry. You asked me to check if there were any replies to your message by the Premier.”

“And?”

“She has informed that she is currently tending to company. The Premier of Listonia and the King of Vulshain and accompanying family are on visitation. She sends her regards and hopes you and her would still be able to schedule a meeting.”

He smirked as he steadied his horse. “I believe I told our fair Premier I would see her and would not take no for an answer. Should I go back on my word, Daszo?”

“I don’t know, sir. She doesn’t seem like a person who would be very accepting of that. She’s not afraid to shut people out.”

“Now how could she shut someone like me out? I’ve requested audience with our Premier. It would be impolite of me to simply decline. No, I must go to Eldura in haste, Daszo. In haste!”

He nodded. “Of course, sir.”