Let's get an issue going!

So with the recent end of the Magisterium, I have noticed that many people in this region seem to have a lot of energy, specifically creative energy. This is, of course, a good thing, lol. But yeah. The newspaper section of TEP has been… well, relatively dead for a bit, and I’d like to change it, not necessarily because we have to or what not, but I do believe we can do this and we could make it a great issue.

In the past, I handled most of the newspaper. I hoped there would be people who would write for it too, and people did for the most part, and it was good. But we really needed to get more people involved. I gave it some time to see if anyone else wanted to give it a go, but, eh, sometimes things need a small push to get going, lol. It’s my belief that we can make one hell of an issue this time. We have a ton of willing, creative members here that can make a big splash in the newspaper. Hence this is also a kind of ‘testing the waters’ to see who will step up to the plate and take the reigns.

In the Magisterium tally thread, I personally suggested that Costada, Alejandro the Penguin, and TAoD should try to write articles for the newspaper, as that would be a really good contribution. Well, I’d like to see what they can do! But, that invitation is extended to all as well. Don’t be shy - be bold. And if I think you’re being shy, I or someone else might send a TG your way to try and un-shy you, lol. Or something like that.

Regardless, I’d like for people here to get their hands dirty and write up an article for the paper. It doesn’t have to be big or extravagant, no need for a certain format or perfect pictures. Write it in your style, the way you want it to show in an edition that will be published to all of our embassies in and around Nationstates! It’ll also find its way on the main NS forums, I hope, so we’ll see where this goes, right?

So, what should you write about? Well, pick something, lol. We have a pleathora of topics here and in NS. Maybe the Magisterium elections? Roleplay? A thought experiment on WA voting? Or maybe how we vote in the WA? Perhaps a humor section? Really, it’s up to you. Since I handled it in the past, I’m going to take a more reserved role and write the introduction only. We’ll keep the blurb we used to have about how to ask for an embassy on the paper too, so that should help.

So, if people are okay with that, get writing, right? Let’s try to have things wrapped up by next week. Use this thread to ask questions and tell us what sections you’ll be writing so we don’t have duplicates, lol. OR, alternatively, maybe you’d like to write a section with someone?? Up to you. THEN, when you’re finished writing your section, post it in this forum so we can add comments!

Above all, have fun with it. Older newspapers from the region exist in the embassy section of the forums, but really, add your personal flavor to it. I’ll be watching to specifically to see if we have any leaders in the newspaper biz. It should be fun! Good luck!

Finally, the resurrection of the Free Press (Or Suppressed Press, depending on your nation’s favor) is on the way!

I think before anything else, we need … a name! Yeah, we can have a paper without a titular name, but people would sooner see it as future toilet papers or annoying adverts.

In addition, while honorable Todd’s idea on maintaining free style is commendable, we’ll still need a basic framework to properly order the articles. I say we stick to the traditional categorizing of news articles according to a specific scope of event, like World News, or Entertainment and the likes. I’m sure there are people out there who’d have more fun watching paint dry than reading about some foreign football clubs, for example, so a good catalog would serve those picky readers some justice.

I also wondered whether we should prescribe some sort of scheduling for publication, since it was apparent that the zombification of previous newspaper circulation was due to some sort of randomly issued publication date.

I could offer my liberal spin on NS issues. All I need are some suggestions.

Aha, a willing columnist!

But wait, maybe we should have the column names first beforehand.

I propose a relatively simple setup for the newspaper here.

Headline: For anything that could warrant a front page headline, like maybe a cult of vulpine worshippers in your backyard. Could be IC or OOC.

Region: Everyone in the region can put in their propaganda here.

International: The place where visitors and ambassadors can crack their whips.

Commentary: Anyone can put in their idea on any subject here, NS related or not, as individuals.

The setup could benefit from additional improvements though.

Ill write a commentary on Sunday.
Got busy Air Force things to do.

bump

Hmmm, maybe I should help with talking to a few people about the newspaper! I’ll post something tomorrow, most likely.

What did you have in mind for a name, Y00knl?

Also, we have a list of writers (so far). Inquire within!! (or you might get a telegram / PM from me or someone else asking you to!)

• FPS
  • Allegheny
  • Warre
  • myself
  • Alejandro
  • TAoD
  • Penndale (?)

I’ve decided that there should be no set date for the paper to be finished, but the sooner we get articles and decide on what the paper should look like, Dyr, I, and the other foreign affairs people can get it posted (which reminds me, Magisters, should the Magisterium get involved as to how the paper is distributed / who distributes it / how it’s written?)

My innate plan is to do an interview or two with people I think represent a lot of TEP’s beliefs.

I say freedom of press but at the same time, I did notice a notice of embassy closure with another region the other day for our inactivity.

I think the only way the Magisterium should get involved at this point-in-time is to better define the Embassy Authority. Either it is a part of the executive, which someone should be assigned to be able to manage it to help ease the process, or it needs to be managed by someone being appointed from the Magisterium each election. such as approving request/denying/checking up on embassies that are in foreclosure (joke!), and getting masking for other regions representatives as quick as possible.

I would also like give my services in distribution, if help is needed. As for actual contributions, maybe; I will continue to follow this thread and contribute in helping getting this thing off the floor.

*Edit

Do I have a question mark next to my name because I am mysterious?

I propose the name The East Pacific Independent, as it was painted really really big on the top side of the forum. Or was it just me? Anyway, using that name makes it more PR-friendly since it’s the first thing any visitor see, more cost-effective since it already has all the colors and standards of our beloved region, and it saves my creative juices as well!

Failing that, I can propose other much, much weirder titles that’s just waiting to come out of the boogieman’s closet in my mind …

— Begin quote from ____

Do I have a question mark next to my name because I am mysterious?

— End quote

Whoops, that’s my bad. I accidentally put it there - the question mark is for those who showed interest, but I didn’t know if they were going to write an article or not.

— Begin quote from ____

I propose the name The East Pacific Independent, as it was painted really really big on the top side of the forum. Or was it just me? Anyway, using that name makes it more PR-friendly since it’s the first thing any visitor see, more cost-effective since it already has all the colors and standards of our beloved region, and it saves my creative juices as well!

Failing that, I can propose other much, much weirder titles that’s just waiting to come out of the boogieman’s closet in my mind …

— End quote

If I still had those fonts (well maybe on a flashdrive somewhere <.<), I would make another but smaller, if we use it. XD. (Actually, I could make it smaller…just a little cropping).

You can just crop it down and prop it up, East Malaysia. Easier than combing your messy room for an errant flashdrive :lol:

I have some images from people in TEP on my photo bucket account. Maybe these would be helpful?

By Lazlow:

Here’s one by Haor Chall:

Here’s an older embassy update:

And another:

We need to get this all rolling through.
Hot off the press or whatever.

Yep, it’s a work in progress, lol. But, it’s certainly nearly there!

Personally, I like the old embassy update image (the gray one, second from the bottom)

— Begin quote from ____

Yep, it’s a work in progress, lol. But, it’s certainly nearly there!

Personally, I like the old embassy update image (the gray one, second from the bottom)

— End quote

That one is nice also.

But yes a work in progress. Maybe I should visit that embassy that is about to be closed up so it does not get closed up. My campaign was after all mostly for stronger foreign affairs…

Right now I am just scrolling through the forums but once I learn a bit then I will be HAPPY to contribute an article!