Letters of Confidence

— Begin quote from ____

Premier Ikrisia Levinile,

As you know, the territory of Dveria, operating under the Kingdom of Warre, launched five missiles into Listonian airspace, one of which hit near the Listonian-Elephana border. We’re not sure of the damage yet, but reports have come in about the citizens there encountering strange things. Regardless, an attack on Listonia is unforgivable.

Listonia got its independence with the help of Vekaiyu and other states. But my nation still requires the help of others in order to be protected from attack. I want the states of Warre and Dveria to come under fire for their actions. I don’t settle things nicely – they deserve it.

I hope your nation can commit. Listonia relies on Vekaiyu for these things. People can talk all they want, but the moment they cross into Listonian borders, there should be hell to pay.

Regards,
Stapen Evesuni

— End quote

— Begin quote from ____

Stapen Evesuni, Premier of Listonia,

Listonia alone does not have strong chance of toppling nations like Warre, I will give you that. But I will not help Listonia in a direct attack on Warre. And I don’t think you should openly attack either. That’s not where we should go with this. I’m not going to have MAD right outside my backyard either. That’s a good way to lose your head.

Look, Listonia is reliant on Vekaiyu. Heavily. Its economy is pretty much based on two things: food staples and oil. Its armed forces consist of aging tech from my nation that will drain a lot of veskonos to keep up over the years. And speaking of years, your governmental system is fine, but what happens when you die? Who will take power? Who will run the state? Face it, if you die, the power void in that nation will be huge. And that’s if a larger nation hasn’t torn into the Listonian countryside while this is all going down. Plus with a nation so heavily reliant on growing seasons, how do you factor in a bad growing season?

I have a suggestion. I propose our two nations form a single state. Listonia would become part of Vekaiyu, but would be allowed limited governance over its territories in order to keep its cultural identity intact. Face it. Had we had this in place from the beginning, we could’ve been better prepared for a catastrophe such as this. It just makes too much sense for it to not happen. And since Vekaiyu has much invested in Listonia and vice-versa, it would only make things easier if we acted as one state.

The timing of this is perfect. Vekaiyu is changing as a state, and the incorporation of Listonia could and probably would soften the blow of transition and help both of us in the long run. Give it a chance. Vekaiyu is not the same state it was 10 or even 5 years ago.

If you love your people as much as you proclaim, you will give them a future. The way things are now, their future is in doubt. Hell I’ll be honest. Without you, it’s downright bleak. I am offering you a new future for them, a better one. You are ultimately the decider in this, and can give them a better future.

Please consider my offer.

Respectfully,
Ikrisia Levinile, Premier of Vekaiyu

— End quote

— Begin quote from ____

Ikrisia Levinile,

No I will not accept the union of our two states. Didn’t you hear anything I said when Selvala was in power? Listonia has a future, and that future is going to be their own. You make it sound like we’re on the brink of losing our very nation. That isn’t true – we’ve just had a missile hit one of our borders and are dealing with the problems over that. Otherwise, we are going strong.

The fact that you’re frustrated over us being separate entities is not my problem. We are a separate entity capable of defending ourselves, for ourselves and by ourselves. What happens to this state when I die is not of your concern. It will be dealt with when needed. In short, sit on it.

• Stapen Evesuni

— End quote

— Begin quote from ____

Premier Ikrisia Levinile,

On second thought, with the difficulties our nation are going through with the Dverian warhead on the Listonian / Elephana border and the potential difficulties with the nation of Rykkovaa, it may be in our best interests to unite our two nations. I will do this, however, under certain conditions, in addition to what you said:

1. Listonia’s cultural identity shall remain intact. It’ll be a part of Vekaiyu, but it must be able to practice its culture without issue.
  2. I will accept a position of advisor to you. You’re new, and I sure as hell am not going subject my nation to mistakes by a young gun. Any important decisions you make that may change the shape of this nation I want to be a part of. I’ll serve this position until death or until I feel like I am no longer needed.
  3. I also want limited governance over the Listonian provinces
  4. I also want to promote a new head for the Vekaiyun National Department of Organized Crime Investigations
  5. This union will go into effect upon our mutual agreement. It will not be made official, however, until we both agree to announce it and officially sign for unity.

Agree to these points, and Vekaiyu shall absorb the Listonian state. Keep in mind I wouldn’t normally do this but, due to circumstances surrounding my nation, I might be able to bend this time.

Regards,
Stapen Evesuni

— End quote

As Evesuni clicked ‘send,’ Leon, his longtime friend since the days of PIL and acting somewhat as an advisor to the Listonian dictator himself, watched the screen change to signify it had been successfully sent. “Think she’ll accept?”

“It’s worth a shot,” Evesuni said. “If she does, Yu Levolar will have dominion over Listonian and Vekaiyun crime organizations.”

“Be sure to play the family card if she objects. We have ways to… get her to see our point of view too, if we need to use them. Or find someone else who will.”

“Please,” Stapen said as he rolled his eyes. “Just because I don’t cut her slack doesn’t mean I’ll threaten her. And Christ, man. She’s my damn daughter not some random piece of shit in a uniform. Who the hell do you think you are? Eh? You think I’m going to freaking whack my own daughter? The hell is wrong with you?” His voice raised with nearly every syllable, as course words churned from his course tongue and even courser mind. The flash in his eyes gave it away - the man struck a chord that hadn’t been played without the accompaniment of a gun in a long time. Without a bullet and short words, he wasn’t much for a calm demeanor. He swiveled his chair around to where Leon stood. “Get this out of your mind you stuffed shirt bastard!”

“Don’t talk to me like that! Just don’t choose your family over your business. All I’m saying!”

“You think I don’t know that? Get the hell out of here!” Evesuni stared him down as Leon looked at him, then shook his head and walked away.

— Begin quote from ____

Premier Evesuni,

Allow me to answer your requests one by one:

1. Sure. That goes without saying. I will not suppress their culture or their right to a culture.
  2. Fine, except for being a part of important decisions. Some decisions need to be made on the spot. And regardless, the premier position is not one to be fulfilled by a group of people. It’s not plural. The way you have identified an advisor is basically to be a co-premier. I will not accept that. If you change this to mean advisor in the classical sense of the word, “to advise”, I’d accept it then.
  3. No. If we’re going to be a united country, a good way to promote division is to maintain a leader over Listonian provinces. Listonia will be a part of Vekaiyu. They will have a very major say in our government once a congress is established before three months’ time. The plan is to establish a two-housed system based on equal representation among the provinces for one and population correlations for the other. The groundwork has already been laid under Selvala but was never executed. I will most definitely execute it.
  4. I’m confused by this. The only thing I can really say to this is “why?”
  5. I’d rather just make it official when we officially sign off for it than do that, but whatever. Explain to me your reasoning.

Thank you. Hopefully we can reach some kind of agreement soon.

Respectfully,
Premier Ikrisia Levinile

— End quote

— Begin quote from ____

Premier Levinile,

Your modified points two and three I can live with. But I’ll be damned if Listonia is ripped of its identity. So I will be watching this very closely. Nevertheless, I have added a few conditions to see if we can agree to those. First, Listonia’s problem with that virus-infested warhead near the Elephana border needs to be quelled as quickly as possible. Second, I want to create a stronger reserve in our eastern front. Suspicious activity in Rykkovaa leads me to believe there may be problems over there in the near future. I’m also going to be firm on the original point four. I have my reasons. Five is a wild card that would be useful to use, but I want us both to agree on a time for the union.

This new deal I will be more firm on, but I caution you: our forces are admittedly not as strong as yours. The longer we prolong this, the more potential damage could be done to both our states.

Regards,
Stapen Evesuni

— End quote

— Begin quote from ____

Premier Evesuni,

You have a deal. Barring any unforeseen problems, I would like to make this union official in three days. Please make travel arrangements to Skendia. There you and those you choose to take along with you will be given passage to Ygelhiym Castle. I will have a scribe draft a tenative agreement to the union of our two states, and edit it where necesary prior to our meeting. I will present you the draft in its final form prior to your departure.

Regards,
Premier Ikrisia Levinile

— End quote

— Begin quote from ____

Dear Premier Levinile,

Funding inquiries regarding the state of the joint-funded Project Shaasu between the Vekaiyun Military and the University of Kivalre at Skendia have gone unanswered over the course of two weeks, hence why I am now writing directly to you. I am requesting increased funding for the project as the construction of the ionospheric research transmitter station nears completion. I am hoping you will continue the work of the previous regime and continue funding this important project. I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

With the warmest of thanks,
Iveni Loservu
Professor and Chair
Department of Physics
The University of Kivalre

— End quote