Levinile Shot

The Ler Commodore of Vekaiyu, Vanse Lebivistre, was a tight-fisted vulpine man who made defending the nation of Vekaiyu his personal obsession. That doesn’t mean he was ever easy on himself, however. The Vekaiyun Missile Defense Zone was something he considered a good start not an endgame, strengthening the navy was a necessity not another way of strengthening a “lame-duck” Vekaiyun muscle, and neutralizing any attempt of a Listonian uprising was not good for the press but impossible to do without. Indeed, since Vekaiyu had secured Listonia, he had slowly been placed in charge of the defense of Listonia, along with his comrade Sipavu Commodore Yiisu Iskaristre, whom reminded him of a younger version of himself, not in looks, but in thought process. Perhaps it was his cerebral manner in which he dealt with his job, but the more he descended into his work the more obsessive he became.

The ler commodore paused from his work as he received a knock at his door. “Enter,” he commanded in his classic staccato tone.

A middle-aged vulpine male entered the room wearing a traditional ground forces dress uniform of red and black with the sipavu commodore insignia displayed immaculately on his Yskavirge. “Good evening, Ler Commodore Lebivistre,” he said as he saluted him with a white-gloved hand. “I have reports on the shooter this evening for you to review.”

“Thank you,” the ler commodore said as the inferior officer presented him with a folder. “This has certainly been all over the Vekaiyun news, has it not?”

“Indeed it has. Foreign news has been spotty.”

“That is to be expected. There is only so much we have been willing to release.” He offered at the seat on the other side of the desk. “Please, Iskaristre, have a seat.”

The sipavu commodore pulled up a seat, then huffed out a breath as he reclined slightly in the black leather chair. “Evesuni expressed extreme displeasure over the shooting,” he said as the ler commodore scanned through one of the documents. “He’s been very reclusive lately, though. Strange since he is traditionally outspoken.”

“Almost too strange,” Lebivistre said as he slammed a document down on the desk. “The shooter is an almost unassuming individual. Even his name, Ulyase Pulvistri, is rather bland. Vulpine, of average height and average weight. Middle-aged. Slight tear in the left ear. All of this seems reasonable. All except for one thing: he’s Listonian. But not just any Listonian. This man is a revolutionist. Judging from the literature we obtained from his home in Evesunigrad, he is of the Eyurba.” He removed another document from the folder. “A group that believes in Listonian independence by force. Do you know what this means, Iskaristre?”

“It means we should double our efforts in Listonia,” he said quickly.

“It means they’re looking for a spark,” he said with an arched eyebrow, though it was hard to tell with his face, with one eye almost squeezed shut and the other completely open like he was ‘in the middle of a bowel movement’, as those below his rank would joke when they were in trustworthy company. “We will deny them the spark. I want everything on this organization: names, locations, and ideas. I want the names of their families. I want the names of their associates. I want the names of their landlords. Do I make myself clear, sipavu commodore?”

“Crystal,” he replied, refusing to flinch from the ler commodore’s yelling tone and banging fists.

“Now about this man and his motives,” he began again. “The Premier has not seen this report, as she is still in surgery. This puts us in a precarious position, my friend. I’m certain you do not want an angry premier meddling in your affairs,should she recover. And I’m not about to honor this man’s death wish. So, let’s find a way to make both of us happy.” He took the report and tore it in half. “It seems our findings have been incorrect. It turns out this Ulyase Pulvistri is a Dverian nationalist, and like so many Dverians, hates Vekaiyuns with a passion. His blind hatred of the Vekaiyun people led him to attempt an assassination of the Premier in the name of the Dverian people. Do you understand what I’m saying here, sipavu commodore?”

“It’s a deflection,” he replied curtly. “But do you suppose this could backfire?”

“There’s always a chance for that,” Lebivistre affirmed. “But everyone knows the quarrels between Vekaiyu and Dveria go back to ancient times. It’s almost dismissive to relate such a heinous act to that nation. I assure you it will go unquestioned.”

“Good,” he replied.

“We will use this to develop a more united front with Vekaiyu and Listonia. In the meantime, change the report. It reeks of falsehoods.”

“Affirmative,” Sipavu Commodore Yiisu Iskaristre said as he reached out a gloved hand to retrieve the folder.

“And sipavu commodore,” Lebivistre growled as he gripped the man’s wrist. “I do not want any slip-ups. That organization must be stomped out immediately. Do not sleep until you are certain not a single member is left.”

“Understood, Ler Commodore,” he said impassively.

“Good,” Lebivistre said as he released his grip. “Dismissed.”

“So Dveria was behind the attack?”

“Yes, Premier Riskotov,” the DIEIS agent told Cecilia. Cecilia sat in her office having just been briefed on the latest reports DIEIS and MMID had gathered on the situation involving Premier Levinile being shot.

Cecilia was concerned nonetheless. “Strange that Dveria would want to assassinate her. Something doesn’t add up.” Cecilia dismissed the agent to allow herself to think.

She knew that Levinile wanted a stronger Vekaiyu. She also knew that Vekaiyu had always longed to assimilate Listonia, but with both Vulshain and Laiatan, as well as other nations not wanting that, Vekaiyu was satisfied with occupying it. Still…Dveria had always felt sore about losing a lot of land when Listonia gained its independence.

It was possible that Levinile had staged the entire incident, but the assassin had actually tried to kill her. So, that wasn’t possible.

Now, with suicide bombings going on, Listonia might becoming unstable again. That was something no one wanted.

Not to mention it didn’t sound like Levinile to set something up like this. Ikrisia wanted a stable Listonia, and it was doubtful that she would try to put herself in harm’s way. Levinile was a bit of a mystery. Cecilia wondered what Ikrisia was thinking. However, Listonia was known for a cesspool of crime. Maybe a crime syndicate tried to kill her. Cecilia leaned back in her chair. “Hm…I wonder if Stapen has anything to do with this. I wonder what he thinks of Ikrisia getting shot.”